Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on hydrogen ion concentration in Switzerland
Topic: hydrogen ion concentration
Publications105 found, 100 shown here
- Heidmann I, Christl I, Leu C, Kretzschmar R. Competitive sorption of protons and metal cations onto kaolinite: experiments and modeling. J Colloid Interface Sci. 2005;282:270-82 pubmed..Model calculations with all three models suggested that Cu and Pb were sorbed mainly to face sites at low pH, while sorption to edge sites dominated at high pH values. ..
- Wyss A, von Stockar U, Marison I. A novel reactive perstraction system based on liquid-core microcapsules applied to lipase-catalyzed biotransformations. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2006;93:28-39 pubmed..5 to 9.0. The presence of an organic phase within the capsule core allowed direct product separation and lead to a decrease in product inhibition of the lipase-catalyzed reaction. ..
- Buffle M, von Gunten U. Phenols and amine induced HO* generation during the initial phase of natural water ozonation. Environ Sci Technol. 2006;40:3057-63 pubmed..Pretreatment of phenol-containing water with HOCl or HOBr did not decrease HO* generation, while the same treatment of dimethylamine-containing water considerably reduced HO* generation...
- Martinoia E, Maeshima M, Neuhaus H. Vacuolar transporters and their essential role in plant metabolism. J Exp Bot. 2007;58:83-102 pubmed..An overview is given of the main features of the transporters present in the tonoplast of plant cells in terms of their function, regulation, and relationships with the microheterogeneity of the vacuome. ..
- Rakhmatullina E, Meier W. Solid-supported block copolymer membranes through interfacial adsorption of charged block copolymer vesicles. Langmuir. 2008;24:6254-61 pubmed publisher..The thickness of the copolymer membrane on mica was comparable to the thickness of phospholipid bilayers. ..
- Rampini S, Selchow P, Keller C, Ehlers S, B ttger E, Sander P. LspA inactivation in Mycobacterium tuberculosis results in attenuation without affecting phagosome maturation arrest. Microbiology. 2008;154:2991-3001 pubmed publisher..These observations demonstrate severe attenuation even in the presence of arrested phagosome maturation, and point to a role for the early phagosome in growth restriction of the M. tuberculosis lspA mutant...
- Leube M, Grill E, Amrhein N. ABI1 of Arabidopsis is a protein serine/threonine phosphatase highly regulated by the proton and magnesium ion concentration. FEBS Lett. 1998;424:100-4 pubmed
- Danel F, Paetzel M, Strynadka N, Page M. Effect of divalent metal cations on the dimerization of OXA-10 and -14 class D beta-lactamases from Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Biochemistry. 2001;40:9412-20 pubmed..Reaction with beta-lactams caused a shift in the equilibrium toward monomer formation, and thus an apparent inactivation, but the divalent cations protected against this effect. ..
- Hartmann A, Agurell E, Beevers C, Brendler Schwaab S, Burlinson B, Clay P, et al. Recommendations for conducting the in vivo alkaline Comet assay. 4th International Comet Assay Workshop. Mutagenesis. 2003;18:45-51 pubmed..The recommendations are also seen as a major step towards gaining more formal regulatory acceptance of the Comet assay. ..
- Poirot O, Vukicevic M, Boesch A, Kellenberger S. Selective regulation of acid-sensing ion channel 1 by serine proteases. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:38448-57 pubmed..Thus, we have identified a mechanism that modulates ASIC function and may allow ASIC1a to adapt its gating to situations of persistent extracellular acidification. ..
- Wyttenbach N, Alsenz J, Grassmann O. Miniaturized assay for solubility and residual solid screening (SORESOS) in early drug development. Pharm Res. 2007;24:888-98 pubmed..It is useful for the identification of formulations and formulation options in non-clinical and clinical development. ..
- Thürer R, Vigassy T, Hirayama M, Wang J, Bakker E, Pretsch E. Potentiometric immunoassay with quantum dot labels. Anal Chem. 2007;79:5107-10 pubmed..The potentiometric protein immunoassay exhibits a log-linear response ranging from 0.15 to 4.0 pmol of IgG, with a detection limit of <10 fmol in 150-microL sample wells. ..
- Hofmann M, Wyler R. Quantitation, biological and physicochemical properties of cell culture-adapted porcine epidemic diarrhea coronavirus (PEDV). Vet Microbiol. 1989;20:131-42 pubmed..18. Infectivity depends on the presence of trypsin, and infected cells show a tendency to fuse and to form syncytia. All of these properties, as well as its physicochemical characteristics, allow PEDV to be classified as a coronavirus. ..
- Wolfensberger T. The role of carbonic anhydrase inhibitors in the management of macular edema. Doc Ophthalmol. 1999;97:387-97 pubmed..This dose may be reduced by the patients over the course of therapy. Metaphylaxis to the drug may occur with a rebound of the edema despite continuation of treatment. ..
- Steinmetz M, Jelesarov I, Matousek W, Honnappa S, Jahnke W, Missimer J, et al. Molecular basis of coiled-coil formation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:7062-7 pubmed..Our findings provide a general explanation for the molecular mechanism of coiled-coil formation. ..
- Janzik I, Macheroux P, Amrhein N, Schaller A. LeSBT1, a subtilase from tomato plants. Overexpression in insect cells, purification, and characterization. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:5193-9 pubmed..The possible involvement of LeSBT1 in selective proprotein processing is discussed with reference to the related mammalian proprotein convertases. ..
- Madjdpour L, Kneller S, Booy C, Pasch T, Schimmer R, Beck Schimmer B. Acid-induced lung injury: role of nuclear factor-kappaB. Anesthesiology. 2003;99:1323-32 pubmed..These data suggest that NF-kappaB binding activity plays a key role in molecular and cellular events in acid-induced lung injury. ..
- Nowack B, Koehler S, Schulin R. Use of diffusive gradients in thin films (DGT) in undisturbed field soils. Environ Sci Technol. 2004;38:1133-8 pubmed..g. light, temperature, water, and nutrients. To some degree, such indetermination has to be expected as an inherent feature of the system and the concept of bioavailability. ..
- Dodd M, Vu N, Ammann A, Le V, Kissner R, Pham H, et al. Kinetics and mechanistic aspects of As(III) oxidation by aqueous chlorine, chloramines, and ozone: relevance to drinking water treatment. Environ Sci Technol. 2006;40:3285-92 pubmed..Time-resolved measurements of As(III) loss during chlorination and ozonation of real waters were accurately modeled using the rate constants determined in this investigation...
- Liniger M, Acosta Serrano A, Van den Abbeele J, Kunz Renggli C, Brun R, Englund P, et al. Cleavage of trypanosome surface glycoproteins by alkaline trypsin-like enzyme(s) in the midgut of Glossina morsitans. Int J Parasitol. 2003;33:1319-28 pubmed..When tsetse flies were analysed 48 h after their first bloodmeal, a pH gradient from the proventriculus (pH 10.6+/-0.6) to the posterior midgut (pH 7.9+/-0.4) was observed. ..
- Künzler D, Sasso S, Gamper M, Hilvert D, Kast P. Mechanistic insights into the isochorismate pyruvate lyase activity of the catalytically promiscuous PchB from combinatorial mutagenesis and selection. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:32827-34 pubmed..The experiments demonstrate that focusing directed evolution strategies on the readily accessible surrogate activity of an enzyme can provide valuable insights into the mechanism of the primary reaction. ..
- Nauser T, Dockheer S, Kissner R, Koppenol W. Catalysis of electron transfer by selenocysteine. Biochemistry. 2006;45:6038-43 pubmed
- Munn A, Riezman H. Endocytosis is required for the growth of vacuolar H(+)-ATPase-defective yeast: identification of six new END genes. J Cell Biol. 1994;127:373-86 pubmed..The mutations that result in a defect in alpha-factor uptake are not allelic to any of the genes previously shown to encode endocytic functions. ..
- Kahle M, Stamm C. Sorption of the veterinary antimicrobial sulfathiazole to organic materials of different origin. Environ Sci Technol. 2007;41:132-8 pubmed..Forthe cations, sorption followed the cation exchange capacities of the sorbents. STA sorption to manure and humic acid increased with higher ionic strength (0.31 M compared to 0.06 M) at pH 7.5. ..
- Maji S, Perrin M, Sawaya M, Jessberger S, Vadodaria K, Rissman R, et al. Functional amyloids as natural storage of peptide hormones in pituitary secretory granules. Science. 2009;325:328-32 pubmed publisher..Thus, functional amyloids in the pituitary and other organs can contribute to normal cell and tissue physiology. ..
- Corfù N, Tribolet R, Sigel H. Comparison of the self-association properties of the 5'-triphosphates of inosine (ITP), guanosine (GTP), and adenosine (ATP). Further evidence for ionic interactions in the highly stable dimeric [H2(ATP)]2(4-) stack. Eur J Biochem. 1990;191:721-35 pubmed..3 M-1) less than D(ATP)3- (2.1 M-1) less than 1:1 ratio of D(ATP)3-/D2(ATP)2- (6 M-1) much less than D2(ATP)2- (approximately 200 M-1) much greater than D3(ATP)- (K less than or equal to 17 M-1).(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 400 WORDS) ..
- Canonaco F, Schlattner U, Pruett P, Wallimann T, Sauer U. Functional expression of phosphagen kinase systems confers resistance to transient stresses in Saccharomyces cerevisiae by buffering the ATP pool. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:31303-9 pubmed..Thus, our results demonstrate that temporal energy buffering is an intrinsic property of phosphagen kinases that can be transferred to phylogenetically very distant organisms. ..
- Fahrbach M, Kuever J, Remesch M, Huber B, Kampfer P, Dott W, et al. Steroidobacter denitrificans gen. nov., sp. nov., a steroidal hormone-degrading gammaproteobacterium. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2008;58:2215-23 pubmed publisher..nov., sp. nov. is proposed. The type strain of Steroidobacter denitrificans is FS(T) (=DSM 18526(T) =JCM 14622(T)). ..
- Gatlik Landwojtowicz E, Aänismaa P, Seelig A. The rate of P-glycoprotein activation depends on the metabolic state of the cell. Biochemistry. 2004;43:14840-51 pubmed
- Vorburger T, Ebneter J, Wiedenmann A, Morger D, Weber G, Diederichs K, et al. Arginine-induced conformational change in the c-ring/a-subunit interface of ATP synthase. FEBS J. 2008;275:2137-50 pubmed publisher..This mechanism allows efficient interaction between subunit a and the c-ring and simultaneously allows almost frictionless movement against each other. ..
- Tauxe Wuersch A, de Alencastro L, Grandjean D, Tarradellas J. Occurrence of several acidic drugs in sewage treatment plants in Switzerland and risk assessment. Water Res. 2005;39:1761-72 pubmed..An environmental risk assessment is presented. Mefenamic acid seems to present a risk for the aquatic environment, with a ratio PEC/PNEC higher than one. ..
- Kahle M, Stamm C. Time and pH-dependent sorption of the veterinary antimicrobial sulfathiazole to clay minerals and ferrihydrite. Chemosphere. 2007;68:1224-31 pubmed..This implies that in many topsoils and sediments inorganic sorbents play a minor role. Our results highlight the need to account for contact time and speciation when predicting sulfonamide sorption in the environment. ..
- Landwojtowicz E, Nervi P, Seelig A. Real-time monitoring of P-glycoprotein activation in living cells. Biochemistry. 2002;41:8050-7 pubmed..Measurement of the ECARs could thus constitute a new method to conveniently analyze the kinetics of Pgp-ATPase activation in living cells. ..
- Kempf C, Michel M, Kohler U, Koblet H, Oetliker H. Dynamic changes in plasma membrane properties of Semliki Forest virus infected cells related to cell fusion. Biosci Rep. 1988;8:241-54 pubmed..The changes observed occur only at pH's below 6.2 corresponding to values required to trigger the fusion process. A possible role of these alterations of the plasma membrane related to membrane fusion phenomena is discussed...
- Radtke F, Georgiev O, Muller H, Brugnera E, Schaffner W. Functional domains of the heavy metal-responsive transcription regulator MTF-1. Nucleic Acids Res. 1995;23:2277-86 pubmed..This indicates that the activity of MTF-1 results from a complex interplay of different functional domains. ..
- Meins M, Jeno P, Muller D, Richter W, Rosenbusch J, Erni B. Cysteine phosphorylation of the glucose transporter of Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:11604-9 pubmed..Phosphocysteine has been shown previously to be the catalytic intermediate of the mannitol transporter (Pas, H. H., Meyer, G. H., Kruizinga, W. H., Tamminga, K. S., van Weeghel, R. P., and Robillard, G. T. ..
- Brodbeck M, Rohling A, Wohlleben W, Thompson C, S sstrunk U. Nucleoside-diphosphate kinase from Streptomyces coelicolor. Eur J Biochem. 1996;239:208-13 pubmed..The deduced amino acid sequence was very similar to other NDP kinases. However, unique characteristics were also noted, including a truncated C-terminus that makes it one of the smallest NDP kinases reported in the literature...
- Piguet V, Gu F, Foti M, Demaurex N, Gruenberg J, Carpentier J, et al. Nef-induced CD4 degradation: a diacidic-based motif in Nef functions as a lysosomal targeting signal through the binding of beta-COP in endosomes. Cell. 1999;97:63-73 pubmed..A novel class of endosomal sorting motif, based on acidic residues, is thus revealed, and beta-COP is identified as its downstream partner. ..
- Gruninger Leitch F, Schlatter D, Küng E, Nelböck P, Döbeli H. Substrate and inhibitor profile of BACE (beta-secretase) and comparison with other mammalian aspartic proteases. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:4687-93 pubmed..002 s(-1); Swedish mutant, SEVNL/DAEFR, K(m) = 9 microm, K(cat) = 0.02 s(-1)). A new substrate (VVEVDA/AVTP, K(m) = 1 microm, K(cat) = 0.004) was identified by serendipity. ..
- Egli K, Langer C, Siegrist H, Zehnder A, Wagner M, van der Meer J. Community analysis of ammonia and nitrite oxidizers during start-up of nitritation reactors. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2003;69:3213-22 pubmed..2 day(-1) for the synthetic wastewater reactors). Despite similar reactor performance with respect to chemical parameters, the underlying community structures were different, which may have an influence on stability during perturbations. ..
- Robert M, Oberson J, Stadler R. Model studies on the formation of monochloropropanediols in the presence of lipase. J Agric Food Chem. 2004;52:5102-8 pubmed..However, the key intermediates and precise mechanistic aspects governing the formation of 3-MCPD in the presence of lipase still need to be elucidated...
- Knobloch B, Linert W, Sigel H. Metal ion-binding properties of (N3)-deprotonated uridine, thymidine, and related pyrimidine nucleosides in aqueous solution. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:7459-64 pubmed..N3)H may possibly be acidified via carbonyl-coordinated M(2+) to become a proton donor in the physiological pH range, at which direct (N3)(-) binding of M(2+) also seems possible. ..
- Burckhardt Herold S, Klotz J, Funk F, Büchi R, Petrig Schaffland J, Geisser P. Interactions between iron(III)-hydroxide polymaltose complex and commonly used drugs / simulations and in vitro studies. Arzneimittelforschung. 2007;57:360-9 pubmed
- Bargeton B, Kellenberger S. The contact region between three domains of the extracellular loop of ASIC1a is critical for channel function. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:13816-26 pubmed publisher..4 to 6.8, suggesting that this zone undergoes conformational changes during inactivation. Our study identifies a region in ASIC1a whose integrity is required for normal channel function. ..
- Gétaz D, Gencoglu M, Forrer N, Morbidelli M. Effect of high pH column regeneration on the separation performances in reversed phase chromatography of peptides. J Chromatogr A. 2010;1217:3531-7 pubmed publisher..e. peptides) are suppressed. In these conditions, the peptide adsorption and the impurity selectivity is not changing upon high pH column regeneration and the separation performance is not affected...
- Masson D, Peters P, Geuze H, Borst J, Tschopp J. Interaction of chondroitin sulfate with perforin and granzymes of cytolytic T-cells is dependent on pH. Biochemistry. 1990;29:11229-35 pubmed..A possible pH shift occurring during exocytosis would cause perforin, but only a minor fraction of granzyme A, to dissociate from the proteoglycans. ..
- Ziak M, Jager J, Malashkevich V, Gehring H, Jaussi R, Jansonius J, et al. Mutant aspartate aminotransferase (K258H) without pyridoxal-5'-phosphate-binding lysine residue. Structural and catalytic properties. Eur J Biochem. 1993;211:475-84 pubmed..Transmination of the internal to the external aldimine apparently can be replaced by de novo formation of the latter, and by its hydrolysis in the reverse direction. ..
- Saint N, Lou K, Widmer C, Luckey M, Schirmer T, Rosenbusch J. Structural and functional characterization of OmpF porin mutants selected for larger pore size. II. Functional characterization. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:20676-80 pubmed..L., Saint, N., Prilipov, A., Rummel, G., Benson, S.A., Rosenbusch, J.P., and Schirmer, T. (1996) J. Biol. Chem. 271, 20669-20675). In most, but not all, cases, the structural changes explain the functional alterations observed. ..
- Sterner R, Kleemann G, Szadkowski H, Lustig A, Hennig M, Kirschner K. Phosphoribosyl anthranilate isomerase from Thermotoga maritima is an extremely stable and active homodimer. Protein Sci. 1996;5:2000-8 pubmed..Thus, with respect to both stability and function, tPRAI appears well adapted to the extreme habitat of T. maritima. Single crystals of tPRAI have been obtained that are suitable for X-ray analysis at high resolution. ..
- Shaw N, Birch O, Tinschert A, Venetz V, Dietrich R, Savoy L. Biotin synthase from Escherichia coli: isolation of an enzyme-generated intermediate and stoichiometry of S-adenosylmethionine use. Biochem J. 1998;330 ( Pt 3):1079-85 pubmed..We propose that two molecules of S-adenosylmethionine are used to synthesize one molecule of biotin, i.e. one from dethiobiotin to the intermediate, and a second from the intermediate to biotin. ..
- Steinmetz M, Jahnke W, Towbin H, Garcia Echeverria C, Voshol H, Muller D, et al. Phosphorylation disrupts the central helix in Op18/stathmin and suppresses binding to tubulin. EMBO Rep. 2001;2:505-10 pubmed..Together, our findings have implications for the prediction of phosphorylation sites and give insights into the molecular behavior of a globally disordered protein. ..
- de Buys Roessingh A, Drukker A, Guignard J. Dipstick measurements of urine specific gravity are unreliable. Arch Dis Child. 2001;85:155-7 pubmed..Among the bedside determinations, only refractometry gives reliable U-SG results. Dipstick U-SG measurements should be abandoned. ..
- Berger P, Bonneick S, Willi S, Wymann M, Suter U. Loss of phosphatase activity in myotubularin-related protein 2 is associated with Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease type 4B1. Hum Mol Genet. 2002;11:1569-79 pubmed..Furthermore, the different biochemical properties of MTM and MTMR2 offer a potential explanation for the different human diseases caused by mutations in their respective genes. ..
- Capitani G, De Biase D, Aurizi C, Gut H, Bossa F, Gr tter M. Crystal structure and functional analysis of Escherichia coli glutamate decarboxylase. EMBO J. 2003;22:4027-37 pubmed publisher..We show by structure-based site-directed mutagenesis that the triple helix bundle formed by the N-termini of the protein at acidic pH is the major determinant for this behaviour...
- Hornemann T, Kempa S, Himmel M, Hayess K, Furst D, Wallimann T. Muscle-type creatine kinase interacts with central domains of the M-band proteins myomesin and M-protein. J Mol Biol. 2003;332:877-87 pubmed..Our data propose a simple model for the regulation of this dynamic interaction. ..
- Ilegems E, Pick H, Deluz C, Kellenberger S, Vogel H. Noninvasive imaging of 5-HT3 receptor trafficking in live cells: from biosynthesis to endocytosis. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:53346-52 pubmed
- Kellenberger S, Gautschi I, Pfister Y, Schild L. Intracellular thiol-mediated modulation of epithelial sodium channel activity. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:7739-47 pubmed..Finally, substitution experiments reveal that multiple cysteine residues in the amino and carboxyl termini of ENaC subunits are responsible for this thiol-mediated inhibition of ENaC. ..
- Meloni G, Zovo K, Kazantseva J, Palumaa P, Vasak M. Organization and assembly of metal-thiolate clusters in epithelium-specific metallothionein-4. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:14588-95 pubmed..The biological implication of our studies as to the role of MT-4 in zinc metabolism of stratified epithelia is discussed. ..
- Küpfer P, Leumann C. The chemical stability of abasic RNA compared to abasic DNA. Nucleic Acids Res. 2007;35:58-68 pubmed..Thus abasic RNA is significantly more stable than abasic DNA. The higher stability of abasic RNA is discussed in the context of its potential biological role. ..
- Nikolaev Y, Pervushin K. NMR spin state exchange spectroscopy reveals equilibrium of two distinct conformations of leucine zipper GCN4 in solution. J Am Chem Soc. 2007;129:6461-9 pubmed..The implications for folding properties and biological significance are discussed. ..
- Reif R, Sales S, Hettwer S, Dreier B, Gisler C, Wölfel J, et al. Specific cleavage of agrin by neurotrypsin, a synaptic protease linked to mental retardation. FASEB J. 2007;21:3468-78 pubmed..Therefore, dysregulation of agrin processing is a good candidate for a pathogenetic mechanism underlying mental retardation. In turn, these results may also shed light on mechanisms involved in cognitive functions. ..
- Klocek G, Seelig J. Melittin interaction with sulfated cell surface sugars. Biochemistry. 2008;47:2841-9 pubmed publisher..Nisin Z shows activity against various Gram-positive bacteria. Isothermal titration calorimetry demonstrates that magainin 2 and nisin Z do not bind to HS (5-50 degrees C, 10 mM Tris, and 100 mM NaCl at pH 7.4). ..
- Mädler S, Bich C, Touboul D, Zenobi R. Chemical cross-linking with NHS esters: a systematic study on amino acid reactivities. J Mass Spectrom. 2009;44:694-706 pubmed publisher..The reactivity is highly dependent on the pH and on adjacent amino acids. ..
- Salaun B, Greutert M, Romero P. Toll-like receptor 3 is necessary for dsRNA adjuvant effects. Vaccine. 2009;27:1841-7 pubmed publisher..Finally, this study also shows that, in contrast to previous reports in humans, TLR3 does not exert direct costimulatory activity on CD8(+) T cells in mice...
- Wiegand A, Bichsel D, Magalhaes A, Becker K, Attin T. Effect of sodium, amine and stannous fluoride at the same concentration and different pH on in vitro erosion. J Dent. 2009;37:591-5 pubmed publisher..This study aimed to compare the effects 0.5% and 1% sodium, amine and stannous fluoride at different pH on enamel erosion in vitro...
- Falquet L, Paquet N, Frutiger S, Hughes G, Hoang Van K, Jaton J. A human de-ubiquitinating enzyme with both isopeptidase and peptidase activities in vitro. FEBS Lett. 1995;359:73-7 pubmed..2 S and a molar mass of 110 kDa +/- 10%. Because the enzyme cleaves both peptide-linked and isopeptide-linked Ub moieties from substrates, we propose to name it de-ubiquitinase rather than isopeptidase. ..
- Hilti N, Baumann D, Schweingruber A, Bigler P, Schweingruber M. Gene ste20 controls amiloride sensitivity and fertility in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Curr Genet. 1999;35:585-92 pubmed..In addition the ste20 mutants are methylamine-sensitive, exhibit enhanced medium acidification and are defective in the utilization of gycerol as a carbon source. ..
- Banfi B, Maturana A, Jaconi S, Arnaudeau S, Laforge T, Sinha B, et al. A mammalian H+ channel generated through alternative splicing of the NADPH oxidase homolog NOH-1. Science. 2000;287:138-42 pubmed..This protein is generated through alternative splicing of messenger RNA derived from the gene NOH-1 (NADPH oxidase homolog 1, where NADPH is the reduced form of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate). ..
- Saydam N, Georgiev O, Nakano M, Greber U, Schaffner W. Nucleo-cytoplasmic trafficking of metal-regulatory transcription factor 1 is regulated by diverse stress signals. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:25487-95 pubmed..Possible roles for nuclear import under non-metal stress conditions are discussed. ..
- Pitera J, Falta M, van Gunsteren W. Dielectric properties of proteins from simulation: the effects of solvent, ligands, pH, and temperature. Biophys J. 2001;80:2546-55 pubmed..Furthermore, only environmental changes that alter the properties of charged residues exert a significant effect on epsilon. In contrast, buried water molecules or ligands have little or no effect on protein dielectric properties. ..
- Thomas R, Baici A, Werder M, Schulthess G, Hauser H. Kinetics and mechanism of long-chain fatty acid transport into phosphatidylcholine vesicles from various donor systems. Biochemistry. 2002;41:1591-601 pubmed..ne ..
- Diederich F, Felber B. Supramolecular chemistry of dendrimers with functional cores. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:4778-81 pubmed..Correspondingly, properties of functional cores such as molecular recognition and catalytic activity are profoundly influenced by the surrounding dendritic branches. ..
- Slaveykova V, Wilkinson K. Physicochemical aspects of lead bioaccumulation by Chlorella vulgaris. Environ Sci Technol. 2002;36:969-75 pubmed..67) M(-1) at pH 6. Results were discussed within the perspective of the free ion activity and biotic ligand models. ..
- Muhlbauer R, Lozano A, Reinli A. Onion and a mixture of vegetables, salads, and herbs affect bone resorption in the rat by a mechanism independent of their base excess. J Bone Miner Res. 2002;17:1230-6 pubmed..The effect of vegetables, salads, and herbs, which inhibit bone resorption in the rat, therefore is not mediated by their base excess but possibly by a pharmacologically active compound(s). ..
- Lerch M, Mayrhofer M, Zerbe O. Structural similarities of micelle-bound peptide YY (PYY) and neuropeptide Y (NPY) are related to their affinity profiles at the Y receptors. J Mol Biol. 2004;339:1153-68 pubmed..To our knowledge this work provides for the first time strong arguments derived from structural data that support a membrane-bound receptor recognition pathway. ..
- Nauser T, Koppenol W, Gebicki J. The kinetics of oxidation of GSH by protein radicals. Biochem J. 2005;392:693-701 pubmed
- Erilov D, Puorger C, Glockshuber R. Quantitative analysis of nonequilibrium, denaturant-dependent protein folding transitions. J Am Chem Soc. 2007;129:8938-9 pubmed
- Skrisovska L, Allain F. Improved segmental isotope labeling methods for the NMR study of multidomain or large proteins: application to the RRMs of Npl3p and hnRNP L. J Mol Biol. 2008;375:151-64 pubmed..Subsequently, the structures of the two RRMs of Npl3p were determined on the basis of samples in which each RRM was expressed individually. The two Npl3p RRMs adopt the expected beta alpha beta beta alpha beta fold. ..
- Hughes G, Frutiger S, Paquet N, Ravier F, Pasquali C, Sanchez J, et al. Plasma protein map: an update by microsequencing. Electrophoresis. 1992;13:707-14 pubmed..The new polypeptides and previously known proteins are listed in a table and labeled on the protein map, thus providing an update of the human plasma two-dimensional gel database. ..
- Antonsson B. Purification and characterization of phosphatidylinositol synthase from human placenta. Biochem J. 1994;297 ( Pt 3):517-22 pubmed..The enzyme was inhibited by nucleoside di- and tri-phosphates, Pi and PPi. CDP competitively inhibited the enzyme reaction with a Kis of 4 mM. The optimal temperature for the PtdIns synthase reaction was 50 degrees C. ..
- Mauel J, Ransijn A. Leishmania spp.: mechanisms of toxicity of nitrogen oxidation products. Exp Parasitol. 1997;87:98-111 pubmed..These results indicate that several cellular targets may be subject to NO toxicity in Leishmania parasites, including enzymes of glycolysis and respiratory metabolism as well as trans-membrane transport systems...
- Maskos K, Huber Wunderlich M, Glockshuber R. DsbA and DsbC-catalyzed oxidative folding of proteins with complex disulfide bridge patterns in vitro and in vivo. J Mol Biol. 2003;325:495-513 pubmed..This shows that DsbC is the bacterial enzyme of choice for improving the periplasmic folding yields of proteins with very complex disulfide bond patterns. ..
- Arrigoni E, Brouns F, Amado R. Human gut microbiota does not ferment erythritol. Br J Nutr. 2005;94:643-6 pubmed..Since under in vivo conditions more easily fermentable substrates enter the colon continuously, it seems very unlikely that erythritol will be fermented in vivo...
- Vukicevic M, Weder G, Boillat A, Boesch A, Kellenberger S. Trypsin cleaves acid-sensing ion channel 1a in a domain that is critical for channel gating. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:714-22 pubmed..It undergoes a conformational change during inactivation, which renders the cleavage site inaccessible to trypsin in inactivated channels. ..
- Kappeler S, van den Brink H, Rahbek Nielsen H, Farah Z, Puhan Z, Hansen E, et al. Characterization of recombinant camel chymosin reveals superior properties for the coagulation of bovine and camel milk. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;342:647-54 pubmed..While raw camel milk cannot be clotted with bovine chymosin, a high clotting activity was found with camel chymosin. ..
- Dittrich D, Keller C, Ehlers S, Schultz J, Sander P. Characterization of a Mycobacterium tuberculosis mutant deficient in pH-sensing adenylate cyclase Rv1264. Int J Med Microbiol. 2006;296:563-6 pubmed..Consequently Rv1264 has been suggested to sense the phagosomal milieu resulting in adaption of M. tuberculosis to its intracellular niche. A targeted knock-out mutant deficient in Rv1264, however, exhibits wild-type virulence. ..
- Avaltroni F, Seijo M, Ulrich S, Stoll S, Wilkinson K. Conformational changes and aggregation of alginic acid as determined by fluorescence correlation spectroscopy. Biomacromolecules. 2007;8:106-12 pubmed..From diffusion coefficients and radii of gyration obtained as a function of ionic strength, persistence lengths (total, electrostatic, and intrinsic) were calculated from the Benoit-Doty relationship...
- Pandey A, Kempna P, Hofer G, Mullis P, Flück C. Modulation of human CYP19A1 activity by mutant NADPH P450 oxidoreductase. Mol Endocrinol. 2007;21:2579-95 pubmed..Because POR supports many P450s involved in steroidogenesis, bone formation, and drug metabolism, variations in the effects of POR mutations on specific enzyme activities may explain the broad clinical spectrum of POR deficiency. ..
- von Ballmoos C, Dimroth P. Two distinct proton binding sites in the ATP synthase family. Biochemistry. 2007;46:11800-9 pubmed..The concept of two different binding sites in the ATP synthase family is supported by the ATP hydrolysis pH profiles of the investigated enzymes...
- Katsoyiannis I, Ruettimann T, Hug S. pH dependence of Fenton reagent generation and As(III) oxidation and removal by corrosion of zero valent iron in aerated water. Environ Sci Technol. 2008;42:7424-30 pubmed..OH-radials are the main oxidant for As(III) at low pH, whereas a more selective oxidant oxidizes As(III) at circumneutral pH...
- Honnappa S, Cutting B, Jahnke W, Seelig J, Steinmetz M. Thermodynamics of the Op18/stathmin-tubulin interaction. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:38926-34 pubmed..5 compared with pH 6.8. This decrease could be attributed to a weaker binding of the C terminus of stathmin. These findings do not support the view that stathmin works as a pH-sensitive protein. ..