Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in United States
Locale: United States
Publications6511 found, 100 shown here
- Jiang Y, Boehler C, Nönnig N, Duzel E, Hopf J, Heinze H, et al. Binding 3-D object perception in the human visual cortex. J Cogn Neurosci. 2008;20:553-62 pubmed..The assembly is fed forward to achieve coherent perception of a 3-D object within 500 msec. ..
- Hilliard J, COOPER A, Slusser J, Davido D. A flow cytometric assay for the study of E3 ubiquitin ligase activity. Cytometry A. 2009;75:634-41 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that it is possible to examine the live activity of an E3 ubiquitin ligase (via one of its targets) in cell culture by FCM analysis. ..
- Schubert L, Westerly D, Tome W, Mehta M, Soisson E, Mackie T, et al. A comprehensive assessment by tumor site of patient setup using daily MVCT imaging from more than 3,800 helical tomotherapy treatments. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2009;73:1260-9 pubmed publisher..Patient setup can be improved if daily imaging is performed. This analysis can assess the utilization of daily image guidance and allows for further investigation into improved anatomic site-specific and patient-specific treatments. ..
- Zolkiewski M, Chesnokova L, Witt S. Reactivation of Aggregated Proteins by the ClpB/DnaK Bi-Chaperone System. Curr Protoc Protein Sci. 2016;83:28.10.1-28.10.18 pubmed publisher..The procedures for purification of these chaperones are also described. ..
- Rege T, Stewart J, Dranka B, Benveniste E, Silverstein R, Gladson C. Thrombospondin-1-induced apoptosis of brain microvascular endothelial cells can be mediated by TNF-R1. J Cell Physiol. 2009;218:94-103 pubmed publisher..These data identify a novel mechanism whereby TSP-1 can inhibit angiogenesis-through induction of apoptosis in a process mediated by TNF-R1. ..
- Robert Schnatter A, Kerzic P, Zhou Y, Chen M, Nicolich M, Lavelle K, et al. Peripheral blood effects in benzene-exposed workers. Chem Biol Interact. 2010;184:174-81 pubmed publisher..8-8.2 ppm. Toluene exposure is a potential confounder for some peripheral blood effects, pointing to the need to scrutinize levels of both compounds in the occupational environment. ..
- Fang L, Zhang G, Li C, Zheng X, Zhu L, Xiao J, et al. Discovery of a daunorubicin analogue that exhibits potent antitumor activity and overcomes P-gp-mediated drug resistance. J Med Chem. 2006;49:932-41 pubmed..These data suggest that sugar modifications of anthracyclines avert P-gp binding, abolish P-gp-mediated drug efflux, increase intracellular drug concentration, and thus overcome P-gp-mediated drug resistance in cancer therapy. ..
- Callahan C, Saudek D, Shillingford A, Creighton S, Hill G, Johnson W, et al. Single-Stage Repair of Coarctation of the Aorta and Ventricular Septal Defect: A Comparison of Surgical Strategies and Resource Utilization. World J Pediatr Congenit Heart Surg. 2017;8:559-563 pubmed publisher..We sought to compare clinical outcomes and resource utilization for two surgical approaches for single-stage repair of coarctation of the aorta and ventricular septal defect (VSD)...
- Minor V, Marris C, McGorray S, Yezierski R, Fillingim R, Logan H, et al. Effects of preoperative ibuprofen on pain after separator placement. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2009;136:510-7 pubmed publisher..No contributions to pain were found for psychological factors or sex. Preemptive administration of analgesics should be recommended to orthodontic patients before separator placement. ..
- Smith D, Murphy P, Phillips M, Paulsen M, Vislosky F, Wilde M, et al. The implementation of an innovative statewide quality improvement initiative. J Neurosci Nurs. 2009;41:106-14 pubmed..This discussion highlights how a relatively small task force has transformed into a growing nonprofit organization, becoming a model for best practices. ..
- Hall L, Le Febre K, Deml S, Wohlfiel S, Wengenack N. Evaluation of the Yeast Traffic Light PNA FISH probes for identification of Candida species from positive blood cultures. J Clin Microbiol. 2012;50:1446-8 pubmed publisher..The YTL provides rapid, reliable identification of the five common Candida species found in blood cultures. ..
- Vendrov A, Vendrov K, Smith A, Yuan J, Sumida A, Robidoux J, et al. NOX4 NADPH Oxidase-Dependent Mitochondrial Oxidative Stress in Aging-Associated Cardiovascular Disease. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2015;23:1389-409 pubmed publisher..Regulating NOX4 activity/expression and using mitochondrial antioxidants are potential approaches to reducing aging-associated CVD. ..
- Van Tine B, Knops J, Shaw G, May W. Assignment of human MFNG, manic fringe Drosophila homolog, to 22q13.1 using tyramide fluorescence in situ hybridization (T-FISH). Cytogenet Cell Genet. 1999;87:132-3 pubmed
- Schaal S, Barr C. Management of macular holes: a comparison of 1-year outcomes of 3 surgical techniques. Retina. 2009;29:1091-6 pubmed publisher..To evaluate the contribution of internal limiting membrane (ILM) peeling with and without indocyanine green (ICG) to hole closure and functional results in patients with idiopathic macular hole...
- Wheeler Hegland K, Huber J, Pitts T, Davenport P, Sapienza C. Lung volume measured during sequential swallowing in healthy young adults. J Speech Lang Hear Res. 2011;54:777-86 pubmed publisher..This may reflect obligate differences in airway protection strategy and prolonged competition for respiratory resources. ..
- Skoura A, Hla T. Regulation of vascular physiology and pathology by the S1P2 receptor subtype. Cardiovasc Res. 2009;82:221-8 pubmed publisher..These studies suggest that selective modulation of S1P2 receptor function by pharmacological tools may be useful in a variety of pathological conditions. ..
- Ghosh D, Jiang W, Lo J, Egbuta C. Higher order organization of human placental aromatase. Steroids. 2011;76:753-8 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the amino acids involved in the intermolecular contact appear to be specific for aromatase. Higher order organization of aromatase monomers may have implications in lipid integration and catalysis. ..
- Chiou S, Hoa N. Up-regulation of GADD45alpha expression by NSAIDs leads to apoptotic and necrotic colon cancer cell deaths. Apoptosis. 2009;14:1341-51 pubmed publisher..These findings confirm a role for GADD45alpha in NSAID-induced cytotoxicity, a mechanism for the anti-neoplastic effect of NSAIDs in colon tumorigenesis and cancer growth. ..
- Beier J, McClain C. Mechanisms and cell signaling in alcoholic liver disease. Biol Chem. 2010;391:1249-64 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this review is to summarize the established and proposed mechanisms by which chronic alcohol abuse damages the liver and to highlight key signaling events known or hypothesized to mediate these effects. ..
- Gdula ArgasiÅ„ska J, Czepiel J, TotoÅ„ Å»uraÅ„ska J, WoÅ‚kow P, Librowski T, Czapkiewicz A, et al. n-3 Fatty acids regulate the inflammatory-state related genes in the lung epithelial cells exposed to polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Pharmacol Rep. 2016;68:319-28 pubmed publisher..It remains to be shown whether these pleiotropic and protective actions of n-3 FAs contribute to fish oil's therapeutic effect in asthma. ..
- Jacob A, O BRIEN D, Singh R, Comiskey D, Littleton R, Mohammad F, et al. Stress-induced isoforms of MDM2 and MDM4 correlate with high-grade disease and an altered splicing network in pediatric rhabdomyosarcoma. Neoplasia. 2013;15:1049-63 pubmed
- Gu W, Novak R. Predicting the impact of insecticide-treated bed nets on malaria transmission: the devil is in the detail. Malar J. 2009;8:256 pubmed publisher..It is necessary to test efficacy of treated nets on local dominant vector mosquitoes, at least in laboratory, for monitoring and evaluation of ITN programmes. ..
- Samuels I, Seibenhener M, Neidigh K, Wooten M. Nerve growth factor stimulates the interaction of ZIP/p62 with atypical protein kinase C and targets endosomal localization: evidence for regulation of nerve growth factor-induced differentiation. J Cell Biochem. 2001;82:452-66 pubmed..Collectively, these findings demonstrate that ZIP/p62 acts as a shuttling protein involved in routing activated aPKC to an endosomal compartment and is required for mediating NGF's biological properties. ..
- Wu J, Liu Q, Lee R. A folate receptor-targeted liposomal formulation for paclitaxel. Int J Pharm. 2006;316:148-53 pubmed..The FR-targeted paclitaxel formulation is potentially useful for treatment of FR+ tumors and warrants further investigation. ..
- Bartee E, Eyster C, Viswanathan K, Mansouri M, Donaldson J, Fruh K. Membrane-Associated RING-CH proteins associate with Bap31 and target CD81 and CD44 to lysosomes. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e15132 pubmed publisher..Our data thus suggest a role of MARCH-VIII and MARCH-IV in the regulated turnover of CD81 and CD44, two ubiquitously expressed, multifunctional proteins. ..
- Jarmolowicz D, Bickel W, Carter A, Franck C, Mueller E. Using crowdsourcing to examine relations between delay and probability discounting. Behav Processes. 2012;91:308-12 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings suggest that delay and probability discounting may be related, but are not manifestations of a single construct (e.g., impulsivity). ..
- Liu Y, Osborn C, Qian H, Yin L, Xiao D, Ruan Y, et al. Barriers and Facilitators of Linkage to and Engagement in HIV Care Among HIV-Positive Men Who Have Sex with Men in China: A Qualitative Study. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2016;30:70-7 pubmed publisher..Findings from our study provide research and policy guidance for how current HIV prevention and care interventions can be enhanced to link and engage HIV-positive MSM in HIV care. ..
- ..An understanding of the mechanisms of thermoregulation and how those mechanisms fail with extreme heat stress is critical for management of the patient with elevated body temperature in the emergency department. ..
- Ohkuma R, Crawford T, Brown P, Grimm J, Magruder J, Kilic A, et al. A Novel Risk Score to Predict the Need for Nutrition Support After Cardiac Surgery. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;104:1306-1312 pubmed publisher..This easily calculable and highly predictive screening tool may expedite timing of initiation of NS in patients at high risk for not being able to physically take in adequate nutrition. ..
- Hameed M, Blacksin M, Das K, Patterson F, Benevenia J, Aisner S. Cortical chondroblastoma: report of a case and literature review of this lesion reported in unusual locations. Skeletal Radiol. 2006;35:295-7 pubmed..Biopsy revealed a chondroblastoma, and the patient subsequently underwent a total curettage of the lesion with cancellous bone graft from the iliac crest...
- Ginther D, Schaffer W, Schnell J, Masimore B, Liu F, Haak L, et al. Race, ethnicity, and NIH research awards. Science. 2011;333:1015-9 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest some leverage points for policy intervention. ..
- Lustberg M, Reinbolt R, Shapiro C. Bone health in adult cancer survivorship. J Clin Oncol. 2012;30:3665-74 pubmed publisher..This review will summarize the mechanisms by which cancer treatments cause bone loss as well provide screening and treatment recommendations for the management of bone loss. ..
- Schoepf U, Kucher N, Kipfmueller F, Quiroz R, Costello P, Goldhaber S. Right ventricular enlargement on chest computed tomography: a predictor of early death in acute pulmonary embolism. Circulation. 2004;110:3276-80 pubmed..00; 95% CI, 1.04 to 3.86; P=0.039), and age (hazard ratio, 1.03; 95% CI, 1.01 to 1.05; P=0.005). In patients with acute PE, RV enlargement on reconstructed CT 4-CH view helps predict early death. ..
- Ahn S, Kearbey J, Li C, Duke C, Miller D, Dalton J. Biotransformation of a novel antimitotic agent, I-387, by mouse, rat, dog, monkey, and human liver microsomes and in vivo pharmacokinetics in mice. Drug Metab Dispos. 2011;39:636-43 pubmed publisher..The results of these drug metabolism and pharmacokinetic studies provide the foundation for future structural modification of this pharmacophore to improve stability of drugs with potent anticancer effects in cancer patients. ..
- Mallow M, Baer H, Moroz A, Nguyen V. Entrustable Professional Activities For Residency Training in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2017;96:762-764 pubmed publisher..Using a modified Delphi process, residency program directors in the field reviewed and validated a set of entrustable professional activities. The final set of 19 entrustable professional activities is presented in this article. ..
- Prins R, Rademacher B, Mongoue Tchokote S, Alumkal J, Graff J, Eilers K, et al. C-reactive protein as an adverse prognostic marker for men with castration-resistant prostate cancer (CRPC): confirmatory results. Urol Oncol. 2012;30:33-7 pubmed publisher..CRP is a readily measurable biomarker that has the potential to improve prognostic models and should be validated in a prospective clinical trial. ..
- Das A, Banik N, Ray S. Flavonoids activated caspases for apoptosis in human glioblastoma T98G and U87MG cells but not in human normal astrocytes. Cancer. 2010;116:164-76 pubmed publisher..Apigenin, (-)-epigallocatechin, EGCG, and genistein did not induce apoptosis in human normal astrocytes. Results strongly suggest that flavonoids are potential therapeutic agents for induction of apoptosis in human glioblastoma cells. ..
- Wani M, Haynes L, Kim J, Bronson C, Chaudhury C, Mohanty S, et al. Familial hypercatabolic hypoproteinemia caused by deficiency of the neonatal Fc receptor, FcRn, due to a mutant beta2-microglobulin gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:5084-9 pubmed..This experiment of nature affirms our hypothesis that FcRn binds IgG and albumin, salvages both from a degradative fate, and maintains their physiologic concentrations. ..
- Kusunose K, Motoki H, Popovic Z, Thomas J, Klein A, Marwick T. Independent association of left atrial function with exercise capacity in patients with preserved ejection fraction. Heart. 2012;98:1311-7 pubmed publisher..The association of reduced LA function with impaired exercise capacity was similar to that of elevated LVE/e', emphasising the role of ventriculo-atrial coupling to cardiac dysfunction with preserved LVEF. ..
- Casamassimo P. Relationships between oral and systemic health. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2000;47:1149-57 pubmed..Cooperation between dentist and physician can mean good overall health for children, including oral health...
- Cobb S, Wider C, Ross O, Mata I, Adler C, Rajput A, et al. GCH1 in early-onset Parkinson's disease. Mov Disord. 2009;24:2070-5 pubmed publisher..This study does not support a significant role for genetic variation at the GCH1 locus in EOPD. However, our results further highlight the relevance of PRKN screening in familial EOPD. ..
- Abcejo A, Sathish V, Smelter D, Aravamudan B, Thompson M, Hartman W, et al. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor enhances calcium regulatory mechanisms in human airway smooth muscle. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e44343 pubmed publisher..Overall, these data demonstrate that NTs activate signaling pathways in human ASM that lead to enhanced [Ca(2+)](i) responses via increased regulatory protein expression, thus enhancing airway contractility. ..
- Awad H, Santilli S, Ohr M, Roth A, Yan W, Fernandez S, et al. The effects of steep trendelenburg positioning on intraocular pressure during robotic radical prostatectomy. Anesth Analg. 2009;109:473-8 pubmed publisher..Surgical duration and ETco(2) were the only significant predictors of IOP increase in the Trendelenburg position (T4-T5). ..
- Robinson G, Tsay Y, Kienzle B, Smith Monroy C, Bishop R. Conservation between human and fungal squalene synthetases: similarities in structure, function, and regulation. Mol Cell Biol. 1993;13:2706-17 pubmed..cerevisiae and S. pombe cells or in cultured human fibroblasts by treatment with the 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase inhibitor lovastatin resulted in elevated levels of squalene synthetase mRNA in all three cell types. ..
- Holwerda S, Restaino R, Manrique C, Lastra G, Fisher J, Fadel P. Augmented pressor and sympathetic responses to skeletal muscle metaboreflex activation in type 2 diabetes patients. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2016;310:H300-9 pubmed publisher..Greater CPT responses suggest that a heightened central sympathetic reactivity may be involved. ..
- Yendamuri S, Battoo A, Dy G, Chen H, Gomez J, Singh A, et al. Transcervical Extended Mediastinal Lymphadenectomy: Experience From a North American Cancer Center. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;104:1644-1649 pubmed publisher..TEMLA is a safe procedure and superior to PET-CT for restaging of the mediastinum after neoadjuvant therapy for non-small cell lung cancer. However, this increased accuracy comes with a high postoperative pneumonia rate. ..
- Pechauer A, Hwang T, Hagag A, Liu L, Tan O, Zhang X, et al. Assessing total retinal blood flow in diabetic retinopathy using multiplane en face Doppler optical coherence tomography. Br J Ophthalmol. 2018;102:126-130 pubmed publisher..To assess total retinal blood flow (TRBF) in diabetic retinopathy (DR) using multiplane en face Doppler optical coherence tomography (OCT)...
- Umapathy N, Zemskov E, Gonzales J, Gorshkov B, Sridhar S, Chakraborty T, et al. Extracellular beta-nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (beta-NAD) promotes the endothelial cell barrier integrity via PKA- and EPAC1/Rac1-dependent actin cytoskeleton rearrangement. J Cell Physiol. 2010;223:215-23 pubmed publisher..With these results, we conclude that beta-NAD regulates the pulmonary EC barrier integrity via small GTPase Rac1- and MLCP- dependent signaling pathways. ..
- Sarawate C, Patel P, Schumacher H, Yang W, Brewer K, Bakst A. Serum urate levels and gout flares: analysis from managed care data. J Clin Rheumatol. 2006;12:61-5 pubmed..0 mg/dL may be attributed to lack of awareness of optimal SUA, allopurinol dosing, compliance, and efficacy. Patients who did not achieve target SUA were at increased flare risk. ..
- Alnahdi A, Zeni J, Snyder Mackler L. Gait after unilateral total knee arthroplasty: frontal plane analysis. J Orthop Res. 2011;29:647-52 pubmed publisher..While the non-operated knee loading was not different from controls, there may be greater risk of cumulative loading in the non-operated knee of the TKA group given the shorter step length. ..
- Oates J, Levesque M, Hobbs M, Smith E, Molano I, Page G, et al. Nitric oxide synthase 2 promoter polymorphisms and systemic lupus erythematosus in african-americans. J Rheumatol. 2003;30:60-7 pubmed..The extent of linkage disequilibrium between the G-954C and CCTTT-8 repeat NOS2 promoter polymorphisms suggests that they were co-inherited. ..
- Malik B, Hemenway C. CBX8, a component of the Polycomb PRC1 complex, modulates DOT1L-mediated gene expression through AF9/MLLT3. FEBS Lett. 2013;587:3038-44 pubmed publisher..In contrast, CBX8 overexpression results in increased ENaC? mRNA levels and this effect can be partially overcome by co-overexpression of AF9. ..
- Johnson K, Zeddam J, Ball L. Characterization and construction of functional cDNA clones of Pariacoto virus, the first Alphanodavirus isolated outside Australasia. J Virol. 2000;74:5123-32 pubmed..Transcription of these plasmids in cells recreated the replication of PaV RNA1 and RNA2, synthesis of subgenomic RNA3, and translation of viral proteins A and alpha...
- Landen C, Goodman B, Katre A, Steg A, Nick A, Stone R, et al. Targeting aldehyde dehydrogenase cancer stem cells in ovarian cancer. Mol Cancer Ther. 2010;9:3186-99 pubmed publisher..This enzyme may be important for identification and targeting of chemoresistant cell populations in ovarian cancer. ..
- Oh S, Alapati A, Claussen G, Vernino S. Myokymia, neuromyotonia, dermatomyositis, and voltage-gated K+ channel antibodies. Muscle Nerve. 2003;27:757-60 pubmed..The presence of antibodies to voltage-gated potassium channels and the association with dermatomyositis indicated an autoimmune cause for myokymia, which may have been due to reversible peripheral nerve hyperexcitability...
- Trobridge G, Wu R, Beard B, Chiu S, Munoz N, Von Laer D, et al. Protection of stem cell-derived lymphocytes in a primate AIDS gene therapy model after in vivo selection. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e7693 pubmed publisher..This approach should allow for high levels of HIV-protected cells in AIDS patients to evaluate AIDS gene therapy. ..
- Natalizio B, Muniz L, Arhin G, Wilusz J, Lutz C. Upstream elements present in the 3'-untranslated region of collagen genes influence the processing efficiency of overlapping polyadenylation signals. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:42733-40 pubmed..Taken together, these data demonstrate that USEs are important auxiliary polyadenylation elements in mammalian genes. ..
- Golde T, Koo E, Felsenstein K, Osborne B, Miele L. ?-Secretase inhibitors and modulators. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1828:2898-907 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Intramembrane Proteases. ..
- Li Q, Qu H, Rentfro A, Grove M, Mirza S, Lu Y, et al. PNPLA3 polymorphisms and liver aminotransferase levels in a Mexican American population. Clin Invest Med. 2012;35:E237-45 pubmed..The strong genetic association found in women ? 50 years old, but not in women > 50 years old, suggests that sex hormones may mediate the sex effect. ..
- Blumberg N, Heal J, Hicks G, Risher W. Association of ABO-mismatched platelet transfusions with morbidity and mortality in cardiac surgery. Transfusion. 2001;41:790-3 pubmed..As this association has been found in three cohort studies in various clinical settings, further investigation of this association is warranted. ..
- Rodova M, Brownback K, Werle M. Okadaic acid augments utrophin in myogenic cells. Neurosci Lett. 2004;363:163-7 pubmed..Control of utrophin promoter activation could then be used to increase the expression of utrophin, and thus ameliorate the symptoms of Duchenne muscular dystrophy. ..
- Liu Y, HOWARD D, Rector K, Swiderski C, Brandon J, Schook L, et al. Latexin is down-regulated in hematopoietic malignancies and restoration of expression inhibits lymphoma growth. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e44979 pubmed publisher..These results are consistent with a tumor suppressor role for latexin and suggest that latexin may have clinical efficacy in the treatment of malignancies. ..
- Patel P, Borovskiy Y, Killian A, Verdino R, Epstein A, Callans D, et al. Optimal QT interval correction formula in sinus tachycardia for identifying cardiovascular and mortality risk: Findings from the Penn Atrial Fibrillation Free study. Heart Rhythm. 2016;13:527-35 pubmed publisher..Future work may validate these findings and result in changes to automated algorithms for QT interval assessment. ..
- Ghosh B, Barbosa E, Singh I. Molecular cloning and sequencing of human palmitoyl-CoA ligase and its tissue specific expression. Mol Cell Biochem. 1995;151:77-81 pubmed..The expression of palmitoyl-CoA ligase in various tissue parallels the function of this enzyme in the metabolism of fatty acids in these tissues. ..
- Bonkovsky H, Naishadham D, Lambrecht R, Chung R, Hoefs J, Nash S, et al. Roles of iron and HFE mutations on severity and response to therapy during retreatment of advanced chronic hepatitis C. Gastroenterology. 2006;131:1440-51 pubmed..009). Although HFE mutations (especially the most frequent H63D mutation) are associated with increased iron loading, they are also associated with increased sustained virologic responses in US patients with advanced chronic hepatitis C. ..
- Tosh P, Poland G. Emerging vaccines for influenza. Expert Opin Emerg Drugs. 2008;13:21-40 pubmed..With the possibility of an influenza pandemic increasing the need to develop new vaccines, the global research community has made large strides to meet this challenge. ..
- Dunn C, Chalupny N, Sutherland C, Dosch S, Sivakumar P, Johnson D, et al. Human cytomegalovirus glycoprotein UL16 causes intracellular sequestration of NKG2D ligands, protecting against natural killer cell cytotoxicity. J Exp Med. 2003;197:1427-39 pubmed..The intracellular sequestration of NKG2D ligands by UL16 represents a novel HCMV immune evasion mechanism to add to the well-documented viral strategies directed against antigen presentation by classical MHC molecules. ..
- Selvendiran K, Bratasz A, Kuppusamy M, Tazi M, Rivera B, Kuppusamy P. Hypoxia induces chemoresistance in ovarian cancer cells by activation of signal transducer and activator of transcription 3. Int J Cancer. 2009;125:2198-204 pubmed publisher..The results have important clinical implications for the treatment of hypoxic ovarian tumors using STAT3-specific inhibitors. ..
- Bagge C, Borges G. Acute Substance Use as a Warning Sign for Suicide Attempts: A Case-Crossover Examination of the 48 Hours Prior to a Recent Suicide Attempt. J Clin Psychiatry. 2017;78:691-696 pubmed publisher..76; 95% CI, 1.02-75.44). Findings suggest the importance of considering acute alcohol use and use of CNS depressants, and the concurrent use of both substances, when evaluating short-term risk for suicide attempts in clinical settings. ..
- Milivojevic V, Kranzler H, Gelernter J, Burian L, Covault J. Variation in genes encoding the neuroactive steroid synthetic enzymes 5?-reductase type 1 and 3?-reductase type 2 is associated with alcohol dependence. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2011;35:946-52 pubmed publisher..We found evidence of an association with AD of polymorphisms in two genes encoding neuroactive steroid biosynthetic enzymes, providing indirect evidence that neuroactive steroids are important mediators of alcohol effects in humans. ..
- Ostrout N, McHugh M, Tisch D, Moormann A, Brusic V, Kazura J. Long-term T cell memory to human leucocyte antigen-A2 supertype epitopes in humans vaccinated against smallpox. Clin Exp Immunol. 2007;149:265-73 pubmed..These data will facilitate evaluation of the immunogenicity of replication incompetent smallpox vaccines such as modified vaccinia Ankara and contribute to knowledge of poxvirus epitopes that are associated with long-lived T cell memory...
- Gioia C, Sobell L, Sobell M, Agrawal S. Craigslist versus print newspaper advertising for recruiting research participants for alcohol studies: Cost and participant characteristics. Addict Behav. 2016;54:24-32 pubmed publisher..Limitations of using CL are discussed, including that some initial ad responders gave inconsistent answers to similar questions and a few tried to enter the study more than once. ..
- Wysoczynski M, Miekus K, Jankowski K, Wanzeck J, Bertolone S, Janowska Wieczorek A, et al. Leukemia inhibitory factor: a newly identified metastatic factor in rhabdomyosarcomas. Cancer Res. 2007;67:2131-40 pubmed..Further, because we showed that the in vivo metastasis of RH30 cells is inhibited by small interfering RNA against LIF-R, molecular targeting of this axis could become a new strategy to control the metastasis of rhabdomyosarcoma. ..
- Matsuda D, Sato H, Maquat L. Chapter 9. Studying nonsense-mediated mRNA decay in mammalian cells. Methods Enzymol. 2008;449:177-201 pubmed publisher..This chapter provides guidelines and protocols for how to define NMD targets using cultured mammalian cells. ..
- Dutta D, Ray S, Vivian J, Paul S. Activation of the VEGFR1 chromatin domain: an angiogenic signal-ETS1/HIF-2alpha regulatory axis. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:25404-13 pubmed publisher..These results establish an angiogenic signal-ETS1/HIF-2alpha axis that regulates the VEGFR1 chromatin domain to induce VEGFR1 transcription in endothelial cells and in differentiating embryonic stem cells. ..
- White P, Hall M. Mapping the literature of case management nursing. J Med Libr Assoc. 2006;94:E99-106 pubmed..Collections that support case management require a relatively small group of core journals. Students and health care professionals will need to search across disciplines to identify appropriate literature. ..
- Okic M, Johnson T, Crifasi J, Long C, Mitchell E. Swift onset of central nervous system depression and asystole followingan overdose of Guaifenesin. J Anal Toxicol. 2013;37:318-9 pubmed publisher..Guaifenesin is not detected by the primary screening methods employed by some labs and may be missed in toxicological analyses of overdoses unless specifically suspected. ..
- Duarte C, Black A, Murray K, Haskins A, Lucas L, Hallen S, et al. Validation of the Patient-Reported Outcome Mortality Prediction Tool (PROMPT). J Pain Symptom Manage. 2015;50:241-7.e6 pubmed publisher..Model updating improved calibration and diagnostic performance and decision curve analysis demonstrated potential clinical utility of the PROMPT for initiating advance care planning rather than hospice referrals. ..
- Maffei A, Haley M, Fontanini A. Neural processing of gustatory information in insular circuits. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2012;22:709-16 pubmed publisher..A view of the insular cortex as a functionally integrated system devoted to processing gustatory, multimodal, cognitive and affective information is proposed. ..
- Li Y, Jadhav K, Zhang Y. Bile acid receptors in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Biochem Pharmacol. 2013;86:1517-24 pubmed publisher..In this article, we will focus on recent advances on the role of both FXR and TGR5 in regulating hepatic triglyceride metabolism and inflammatory responses under normal and disease conditions. ..
- Burnside K, Lembo A, Harrell M, Gurney M, Xue L, Binhtran N, et al. Serine/threonine phosphatase Stp1 mediates post-transcriptional regulation of hemolysin, autolysis, and virulence of group B Streptococcus. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:44197-210 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results indicate that Stp1 is important for appropriate regulation of Stk1 function, hemolysin activity, autolysis, and GBS virulence...
- Smith W, Diaz G, Lichter Konecki U, Berry S, Harding C, McCandless S, et al. Ammonia control in children ages 2 months through 5 years with urea cycle disorders: comparison of sodium phenylbutyrate and glycerol phenylbutyrate. J Pediatr. 2013;162:1228-34, 1234.e1 pubmed publisher..To examine ammonia levels, pharmacokinetics, and safety of glycerol phenylbutyrate (GPB; also referred to as HPN-100) and sodium phenylbutyrate (NaPBA) in young children with urea cycle disorders (UCDs)...
- Verne G, Soldevia Pico C, Robinson M, Spicer K, Reuben A. Autonomic dysfunction and gastroparesis in cirrhosis. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2004;38:72-6 pubmed..The presence of autonomic dysfunction correlates positively with underlying motility disorders, such as delayed gastric emptying. ..
- Chawla J, Gruener G. Management of critical illness polyneuropathy and myopathy. Neurol Clin. 2010;28:961-77 pubmed publisher..Rehabilitation is an equally essential component in a patient's management. Although prognosis depends on the extent of the underlying muscle and nerve damage, mild persistent deficits are common and severe disability may be persistent. ..
- Aboian M, Daniels D, Rammos S, Pozzati E, Lanzino G. The putative role of the venous system in the genesis of vascular malformations. Neurosurg Focus. 2009;27:E9 pubmed publisher..They also describe the potential significance of different associations of these vascular anomalies. ..
- Komarov A, Rokhlin O, Yu C, Gudkov A. Functional genetic screening reveals the role of mitochondrial cytochrome b as a mediator of FAS-induced apoptosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:14453-8 pubmed publisher..These results reveal a cytochrome c-independent branch of FAS-induced apoptosis involving cleavage and cytoplasmic release of mitochondrial Cyt b. ..