Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Taiwan
Publications826 found, 100 shown here
- Lai S, Chan T, Lin M, Huang W, Lou S, Lee S. Diaphanous-related formin 2 and profilin I are required for gastrulation cell movements. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3439 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that zDia2 in conjunction with zPfn 1 are required for gastrulation cell movements in zebrafish. ..
- Weng S, Hsu C, Lirn M, Huang C. Extrapulmonary tuberculosis: a study comparing diabetic and nondiabetic patients. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 2009;117:305-7 pubmed publisher..The previous studies of extrapulmonary tuberculosis (EPTB) have not focused on the impacts of diabetes mellitus. We conducted a retrospective study to explore the difference between EPTB patients with and without diabetes...
- Chang D, Chiu C, Kuo S, Lin W, Lo A, Wang Y, et al. Antiangiogenic targeting liposomes increase therapeutic efficacy for solid tumors. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:12905-16 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that the tumor-homing peptides can be used specifically target tumor vasculature and have the potential to improve the systemic treatment of patients with solid tumors. ..
- Huang Y, Chuang J, Yang Y, Huang C, Wu C, Chen C. Cholestasis downregulate hepcidin expression through inhibiting IL-6-induced phosphorylation of signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 signaling. Lab Invest. 2009;89:1128-39 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the study shows that cholestasis or its important component-hydrophobic bile acids-can downregulate hepcidin expression through inhibiting IL-6-induced STAT3 phosphorylation and pSTAT3 protein nuclear translocation...
- Lin C, Lin C, Chen Y, Huang S, Wang S. Rottlerin inhibits migration of follicular thyroid carcinoma cells by PKCdelta-independent destabilization of the focal adhesion complex. J Cell Biochem. 2010;110:428-37 pubmed publisher..In summary, we demonstrated that rottlerin inhibits the migration of CGTH W-2 cells by disassembly of focal adhesion complexes in a PKCdelta-independent manner, and might play as a mitochondrial uncoupler role in these events. ..
- Lin M, Hwang S, Mau L, Chen H, Hwang S, Wu L, et al. Impact of late-stage CKD and aging on medical utilization in the elderly population: a closed-cohort study in Taiwan. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2010;25:3230-5 pubmed publisher..Increases in medical utilizations and expenses were demonstrated in elderly CKD subjects, especially those with late stage CKD. Early prevention of CKD is necessary to lessen the financial impact on medical health care. ..
- Lin C, Kao J. Recent advances in the treatment of chronic hepatitis B. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2011;12:2025-40 pubmed publisher..Regarding the association of host genetic factors with responses to antiviral therapy, current evidence is limited. ..
- Chien C, Yao J, Chang S, Lee P, Lee T. Enhanced suppression of tumor growth by concomitant treatment of human lung cancer cells with suberoylanilide hydroxamic acid and arsenic trioxide. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2011;257:59-66 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that SAHA may cause chromatin relaxation and increase cellular susceptibility to ATO-induced DNA damage. Combined administration of SAHA and ATO may be an effective approach to the treatment of lung cancer. ..
- Chan T, Wu C, Changchien C, Yang C. Mortality from breast, endometrial and ovarian cancers among grand multiparous women in Taiwan. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2011;51:548-52 pubmed publisher..79) for endometrial cancer and 0.64 (95% CI 0.49-0.79) for ovarian cancer. This study provides evidence that grand multiparity may confer a protective effect on the risk of death from cancers of the breast, endometrium and ovary. ..
- Hsu C, Lin T, Chen Y, Chou H, Wang J. The role of Klebsiella pneumoniae rmpA in capsular polysaccharide synthesis and virulence revisited. Microbiology. 2011;157:3446-57 pubmed publisher..We found an association of p-rmpA with three widely spaced loci in a large plasmid (30/32). Therefore, rmpA could be co-inherited together with virulence genes carried by this plasmid. ..
- Lee C, Lee Y, Ng H, Chiou T, Cheng C, Kuo C, et al. Lack of modulatory effect of simvastatin on indoxyl sulfate-induced activation of cultured endothelial cells. Life Sci. 2012;90:47-53 pubmed publisher..IS increased the expression of adhesion molecules of endothelial cells exhibiting a concentration and duration dependent pattern. Simvastatin did not demonstrate any effect on IS-associated endothelial activation. ..
- Chen S, Kung M, Hu T, Chen H, Wu J, Kuo H, et al. Hepatoma-derived growth factor regulates breast cancer cell invasion by modulating epithelial--mesenchymal transition. J Pathol. 2012;228:158-69 pubmed publisher..HDGF over-expression may exert a prognostic role for tumour metastasis and recurrence in breast cancer by modulating EMT. Copyright © 2012 Pathological Society of Great Britain and Ireland. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. ..
- Lin J, Tsai T, Liao P, Lin Y, Lin Y, Chen H, et al. Benzyl isothiocyanate induces protective autophagy in human prostate cancer cells via inhibition of mTOR signaling. Carcinogenesis. 2013;34:406-14 pubmed publisher..These findings could potentially contribute to the beneficial effect of BITC in prostate cancer treatments. ..
- Cheemalapati S, Devadas B, Chen S. Highly sensitive and selective determination of pyrazinamide at poly-L-methionine/reduced graphene oxide modified electrode by differential pulse voltammetry in human blood plasma and urine samples. J Colloid Interface Sci. 2014;418:132-9 pubmed publisher..In addition, the proposed electrochemical sensor showed good results towards the commercial pharmaceutical PZM samples. ..
- Huang C, Tsai C, Hsu C, Shih L, Chang W, Shui H, et al. The role of XRCC6/Ku70 in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2015;44:1480-5 pubmed publisher..0210 and 0.0164, respectively). These findings suggest that XRCC6 may play an important role in the carcinogenesis of NPC and could serve as a chemotherapeutic target for personalized medicine and therapy. ..
- Hsu C, Chen Y, Huang P, Leu H, Su Y, Chiang C, et al. The association between urinary calculi and increased risk of future cardiovascular events: A nationwide population-based study. J Cardiol. 2016;67:463-70 pubmed publisher..38; 95% CI, 1.25-1.51, p<0.001). Urinary calculi were associated with an increased risk of future cardiovascular events in the Asian population, which was consistent with the recent epidemiologic evidence in Western countries. ..
- Chen L, Jeka J, Clark J. Development of adaptive sensorimotor control in infant sitting posture. Gait Posture. 2016;45:157-63 pubmed publisher..Sensorimotor refinement during early postural development may result from the interactions of improved self-motion control and enhanced perceptual abilities. ..
- Tang F, Tsai E. Learning Curve Analysis of Different Stages of Robotic-Assisted Laparoscopic Hysterectomy. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:1827913 pubmed publisher..i>Conclusion. Different stages of robotic-assisted laparoscopic hysterectomy have different learning curves. The main surgery console stage has the most rapid learning curve, whereas the suture stage has the slowest learning curve. ..
- Chen Y, Sheu S, Hu H, Chu D, Chou P. Association between retinal vein occlusion and an increased risk of acute myocardial infarction: A nationwide population-based follow-up study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184016 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the CRVO group had a significantly higher risk of AMI than the BRVO group. People with RVO are at significantly greater risk of developing AMI than individuals without RVO. ..
- Hao S. Facial translocation approach to the skull base: the viability of translocated facial bone graft. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2001;124:292-6 pubmed..006). The translocated facial bone segment should be kept attached to the cheek soft tissue when possible, or the defect in the paranasal sinuses should be reconstructed with a vascularized flap. ..
- Chiang W, Tsai J, Chen S, Hsu C, Wu C, Teng L, et al. Mycotic Aneurysm Caused by Streptococcus constellatus subsp. constellatus. J Clin Microbiol. 2004;42:1826-8 pubmed..constellatus subsp. constellatus by their biochemical reaction profiles, compatible 16S rRNA gene sequencing results, and sequencing results for the partial groESL gene and the 16S-23S intergenic spacer region...
- Hwang S, Lieu A, Chang J, Cheng T, Cheng C, Lee K, et al. Rac2 expression and mutation in human brain tumors. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2005;147:551-4; discussion 554 pubmed..The role of high frequency of decreased Rac2 expression in brain tumors, particularly in malignant astrocytomas, needs further investigations to be elucidated. ..
- Tsai S, Chang W. Traumatic haemo-pneumothorax or intubation of right main bronchus?. Resuscitation. 2005;66:257-8 pubmed
- Lin Y, Hsu P, Hsu H, Huang C, Wang L, Huang B, et al. En bloc resection for lung cancer with chest wall invasion. J Chin Med Assoc. 2006;69:157-61 pubmed..The 5-year survival rate is not significantly different between the patients with involvement of the parietal pleura only and the patients with involvement of the parietal pleura and the soft tissue and/or bone. ..
- Lin C, Chen C, Lin P, Lee H. Sphingosine 1-phosphate regulates inflammation-related genes in human endothelial cells through S1P1 and S1P3. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;355:895-901 pubmed..These results suggested that S1P-induced inflammatory response genes expression is mediated through S1P(1) and S1P(3). Our findings suggest the possible utilization of S1P(1) or S1P(3) as drug targets to treat severe inflammation. ..
- Hsu R, Lin F. Psoas abscess in patients with an infected aortic aneurysm. J Vasc Surg. 2007;46:230-5 pubmed..Psoas abscess is an uncommon disease, and its presenting features are usually nonspecific. Infected aortic aneurysms could be complicated by psoas abscess...
- Wang C, Lin P, Ng C, Shyu Y. Probiotic properties of Lactobacillus strains isolated from the feces of breast-fed infants and Taiwanese pickled cabbage. Anaerobe. 2010;16:578-85 pubmed publisher..Technologically interesting Lactobacillus isolates may be used in the future as probiotic starter cultures for manufacturing novel fermented foods. ..
- Chen Y, Yip P, Lee C, Fan H, Fu K. Economic fluctuations and suicide: a comparison of Taiwan and Hong Kong. Soc Sci Med. 2010;71:2083-90 pubmed publisher..The impact of employment conditions on suicide across different countries deserves further investigation. ..
- Chang C, Cheng S, Chang S. Adenoid cystic carcinoma of trachea treated with tumor curettage and adjuvant intensity modulated radiation therapy. South Med J. 2011;104:68-70 pubmed publisher..Tumor curettage followed by intensity modulated radiation therapy was performed, and the patient eventually recovered. This case demonstrates that such less invasive management also leads to a favorable outcome...
- Wang C, Huang C, Lin H, Huang T, Lee K, Lo Y, et al. Increased activation of fibrocytes in patients with chronic obstructive asthma through an epidermal growth factor receptor-dependent pathway. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2012;129:1367-76 pubmed publisher..Enhanced fibrocyte proliferation and transformation found in patients with COA might be mediated through an oxidant-sensitive EGFR-dependent pathway. ..
- Fan N, Tsai C, Hsu C, Huang L, Tain Y. N-acetylcysteine prevents hypertension via regulation of the ADMA-DDAH pathway in young spontaneously hypertensive rats. Biomed Res Int. 2013;2013:696317 pubmed publisher..Our findings highlight the impact of NAC on the development of hypertension by regulating ADMA-DDAH pathway. ..
- ..This result was based on the majority of trials where the suppressed parts of the objects remained invisible, which indicates that interocular grouping can occur without all the to-be-grouped parts being visible and without awareness. ..
- Chang T, Tu Y, Lee C, Chao A, Huang C, Wang M, et al. Effects of Polymyxin B Hemoperfusion on Mortality in Patients With Severe Sepsis and Septic Shock: A Systemic Review, Meta-Analysis Update, and Disease Severity Subgroup Meta-Analysis. Crit Care Med. 2017;45:e858-e864 pubmed publisher..The present study demonstrated that polymyxin B hemoperfusion treatment may reduce mortality in patients with severe sepsis and septic shock in specific disease severity subgroups. ..
- Lin C, Lin C. Enzymatic and chemical approaches for the synthesis of sialyl glycoconjugates. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2001;491:215-30 pubmed..Nevertheless, reducing the number of reaction steps (for preparing both donors and acceptors of glycosylation), and enhancing stereoselectivity, as well as reaction yield are still problems to be overcome. ..
- Ho L, Hung L, Weng C, Wu W, Chou P, Lin Y, et al. Dengue virus type 2 antagonizes IFN-alpha but not IFN-gamma antiviral effect via down-regulating Tyk2-STAT signaling in the human dendritic cell. J Immunol. 2005;174:8163-72 pubmed..These observations provide very useful messages with physiological significance in investigation of the pathogenesis, the defense mechanisms of human hosts and the therapeutic considerations in DV infection...
- Chua H, Lee H, Chang S, Lu C, Yeh T, Hsu T, et al. Role of the TSG101 gene in Epstein-Barr virus late gene transcription. J Virol. 2007;81:2459-71 pubmed
- Tsai H. Developmental changes of pharyngeal airway structures from young to adult persons. J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2007;31:219-21 pubmed..The pharynx increases its capacity predominantly by vertical expansion. The developmental changes in pharyngeal structures were signficantly greater in males than in females. ..
- Yao C, Lai E, Chang J, Chen I, Chen Y. Comparison of treatment outcomes between skeletal anchorage and extraoral anchorage in adults with maxillary dentoalveolar protrusion. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2008;134:615-24 pubmed publisher..Greater retraction of the maxillary incisor, less anchorage loss of the maxillary first molar, and the possibility of counterclockwise mandibular rotation all facilitated the correction of the Class II malocclusion. ..
- Tsai L, Yang C, Ting C, Su Y, Hwu W, Li H. Correlation of survival motor neuron expression in leukocytes and spinal cord in spinal muscular atrophy. J Pediatr. 2009;154:303-5 pubmed publisher..There was a high correlation between leukocyte and spinal cord SMN expression in SMA model mice and a moderate correlation between leukocyte SMN expression and age of disease onset in patients with SMA. ..
- Kiu V, Liang J. Laparoscopic resection of Y-shaped tubular duplication of the sigmoid colon: report of a case. Dis Colon Rectum. 2010;53:949-52 pubmed publisher..We report the first case of a Y-shaped tubular sigmoid colonic duplication in an adult who was successfully treated by laparoscopic resection...
- Lu Y, Lin J, Hsiao S, Liu M, Chen S, Lue Y. The relative and absolute reliability of leg muscle strength testing by a handheld dynamometer. J Strength Cond Res. 2011;25:1065-71 pubmed publisher..Hand-held dynamometer is a reliable tool for quantifying most of the hip and knee strength except for the knee extensors. Modifying the measuring technique for knee extension is needed in future studies to improve the reliability. ..
- Tseng Y, Hsieh C, Huang H, Huang C, Hsu W, Huang B, et al. Is thymectomy necessary in nonmyasthenic patients with early thymoma?. J Thorac Oncol. 2013;8:952-8 pubmed publisher..In this study, we proposed to compare the surgical results in early-stage nonmyasthenic thymoma patients who underwent thymomectomy with and without extended thymectomy...
- Yan M, Cheng C, Wang H, Yang C, Peng S, Lin S. Evaluating Hyponatremia in Non-Diabetic Uremic Patients on Peritoneal Dialysis. Perit Dial Int. 2016;36:196-204 pubmed publisher..Besides BW change and ultrafiltration rate, the assessment of ICV/ECV ratio is valuable in identifying the etiologies of hyponatremia in PD and provides a guide for optimal therapy. ..
- Chen S, Huang C, Lai S, Yang C, Hsiao T, Lin C, et al. Mechanism and inhibition of human UDP-GlcNAc 2-epimerase, the key enzyme in sialic acid biosynthesis. Sci Rep. 2016;6:23274 pubmed publisher..On the other hand, the CMP-Neu5Ac binding mode clearly elucidates why mutations in Arg263 and Arg266 can cause sialuria. Moreover, full-length modelling suggests a channel for ManNAc trafficking within the bifunctional enzyme. ..
- Chou S, Liang S, Wu C, Hsu C. Sacral parasite conjoined twin. Obstet Gynecol. 2001;98:938-40 pubmed..Obstetricians should be aware of the existence of a parasite twin during prenatal examinations and of the importance of the differential diagnosis of parasite and teratoma, a neoplasm with malignant potential. ..
- Yen J, Tsai W, Chen C, Lin C, Ou T, Hu C, et al. Cytochrome P450 1A1 and manganese superoxide dismutase genes polymorphisms in ankylosing spondylitis. Immunol Lett. 2003;88:113-6 pubmed..CYP1A1 4887A may be a protective factor for the development of AS in Taiwan. However, MnSOD gene polymorphisms are not associated with the susceptibility to AS. ..
- Hu S, Kuo T, Hong H. Lipoid proteinosis: report of a possible localized form on both hands and wrists. Int J Dermatol. 2005;44:408-10 pubmed..Both neurologic and ophthalmic examinations were negative. No intracranial calcification was found on a skull X-ray examination. The patient was treated with topical steroid and urea. She was lost to follow-up. ..
- Ma L, Lee S, Lee C, Yin S, Wang J. Molecular cloning and kinetic characterization of an aldehyde dehydrogenase gene in Klebsiella pneumoniae. J Formos Med Assoc. 2005;104:221-30 pubmed..6 mM). The expression of the aldA gene is higher in K. pneumoniae strains from patients with liver abscess. The aldA gene encodes functional ALDH and can use glycolaldehyde and glyceraldehydes as substrates. ..
- Tsai H, Yang T, Wann S, Yen M, Chang H. Successful angiographic stent-graft treatment for spontaneously dissecting broad-base pseudoaneurysm of the superior mesenteric artery. J Chin Med Assoc. 2005;68:397-400 pubmed..The patient was successfully treated with percutaneous transluminal angioplasty and stenting...
- Lee S, Lin T, Su H, Chiu C, Voon W, Lai W, et al. Ruptured aneurysm of the sinus of valsalva into the right atrium without ventricular septal defect: a case report and literature review. Kaohsiung J Med Sci. 2005;21:517-21 pubmed..This was a rare case of noncoronary cusp involvement in ASV that ruptured into the right atrium without VSD...
- Kuo H, Sheen J, Wu K, Wei H, Hsiao C. Precocious puberty due to human chorionic gonadotropin-secreting pineal tumor. Chang Gung Med J. 2006;29:198-202 pubmed..In this patient, the elevated beta-hCG level indicated the presence of a tumor and was considered sufficient evidence to warrant initiating treatment. ..
- Chiang P, Kung F, Huang D, Li T, Fan J, Pan S, et al. Induction of Fas clustering and apoptosis by coral prostanoid in human hormone-resistant prostate cancer cells. Eur J Pharmacol. 2006;542:22-30 pubmed..Subsequently, the Fas event causes the activation and interaction of caspase-8/Bid/caspase-9 signaling cascades, and the activation of executor caspase-3. ..
- Chang C, Chou H, Lin Y, Lee S, Chuang J, Chuang D, et al. Structure of the subunit binding domain and dynamics of the di-domain region from the core of human branched chain alpha-ketoacid dehydrogenase complex. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:28345-53 pubmed..We conclude that the presence of the interdomain linker restricts the motional freedom of the hbSBD more significantly than hbLBD, and that the linker region likely exists as a soft rod rather than a flexible string in solution. ..
- Lin Y, Lee H, Leu S, Tsai Y. The essentiality of PKCalpha and PKCbetaI translocation for CD14+monocyte differentiation towards macrophages and dendritic cells, respectively. J Cell Biochem. 2007;102:429-41 pubmed..In conclusion, the cell fate commitment of CD14(+)monocytes towards MDMs or MoDCs appears to be steered by the selective activation of PKCalpha or PKCbeta(I), respectively. ..
- Wei H, Yang H, Chen C, Lin W, Chen S, Lai P, et al. Gelatin microspheres encapsulated with a nonpeptide angiogenic agent, ginsenoside Rg1, for intramyocardial injection in a rat model with infarcted myocardium. J Control Release. 2007;120:27-34 pubmed..These results indicated that Rg(1), a stable angiogenic agent, successfully enhanced the myocardial perfusion and preserved the infarcted LV function. ..
- Wu T, Chen Y, Leu H, Chen Y, Lin F, Lin S, et al. Carvedilol, a pharmacological antioxidant, inhibits neointimal matrix metalloproteinase-2 and -9 in experimental atherosclerosis. Free Radic Biol Med. 2007;43:1508-22 pubmed..Accordingly, carvedilol, a pharmacological antioxidant, inhibited in vivo and in vitro expression of MMP-2 and MMP-9 properly by modulating the redox-related pathways, suggesting its potential clinical implications...
- Chien C, Shyue S, Lai M. Bcl-xL augmentation potentially reduces ischemia/reperfusion induced proximal and distal tubular apoptosis and autophagy. Transplantation. 2007;84:1183-90 pubmed..Our results suggest that Adv-bcl-xL gene transfer significantly improves ischemia/reperfusion-induced renal dysfunction via the downregulation of renal tubular apoptosis and autophagy. ..
- Yang C, Deng J. Intermediate syndrome following organophosphate insecticide poisoning. J Chin Med Assoc. 2007;70:467-72 pubmed..Without a clear understanding of the pathophysiology of IMS, specific therapy is not available. The prognosis of IMS, however, is likely to be favorable if respiratory failure can be promptly recognized and treated accordingly. ..
- Wang J, Chen S, Wang J, Wu G, Chiang W, Hsueh P, et al. Comparison of both clinical features and mortality risk associated with bacteremia due to community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and methicillin-susceptible S. aureus. Clin Infect Dis. 2008;46:799-806 pubmed publisher..Patients with CA-MRSA bacteremia did not have higher mortality than did patients with CA-MSSA, even though most of the patients with CA-MRSA bacteremia did not receive empirical glycopeptide therapy. ..
- Liang Y, Chang H, Wang C, Yu W. DYRK1A stabilizes HPV16E7 oncoprotein through phosphorylation of the threonine 5 and threonine 7 residues. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2008;40:2431-41 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that DYRK1A increases the transforming potential of HPV16-infected cells because of the greater stability of HPV16E7...
- Tsai Y, Kuang W, Lu T, Kao J, Lai M, Liu C, et al. The non-structural 5A protein of hepatitis C virus exhibits genotypic differences in interferon antagonism. J Hepatol. 2008;49:899-907 pubmed publisher..The V3 and the C-terminus regions are responsible for the differential anti-IFN effects. This phenomenon may partly explain the genotype-linked differences in the response of HCV to IFN treatment. ..
- Kang J, Ho J, Chen Y, Lin H. Increased risk of stroke after a herpes zoster attack: a population-based follow-up study. Stroke. 2009;40:3443-8 pubmed publisher..Although varicella zoster virus vasculopathy is a well-documented complication that may induce a stroke postherpes zoster attack, it does not fully account for the unexpectedly high risk of stroke in these patients. ..
- Tsai M, Tsai M, Yang S, Tseng Y, Chuang Y. Transient global amnesia-like episode due to mistaken intake of zolpidem: drug safety concern in the elderly. J Patient Saf. 2009;5:32-4 pubmed publisher..Chronic insomnia is a common phenomenon among the elderly. Inaccurate handling and use of hypnotics in the elderly has become an important issue in patient safety. Older people who self-medicate often have a high risk for medication errors...
- Cheng C, Lee C, Huang K, Wu T, Peng P. Giant cell (Temporal) arteritis with anterior ischemic optic neuropathy: a biopsy-proven case in Taiwan. J Formos Med Assoc. 2010;109:550-4 pubmed publisher..This was a biopsy-proven case of giant cell arteritis with arteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy and indicated that although rare, this disease could occur in patients in Taiwan. ..
- Cheng S, Chen C, Hou Y. A longitudinal examination of continuity of care and avoidable hospitalization: evidence from a universal coverage health care system. Arch Intern Med. 2010;170:1671-7 pubmed publisher..Therefore, improvement of continuity of care is an appropriate path to follow in a universal coverage health care system. ..
- Chen S, Chen L. Predictive factors of successful varicocelectomy in infertile patients. Urol Int. 2011;86:320-4 pubmed publisher..To examine the predictive factors of successful varicocelectomy in infertile patients...
- Chiu L, Yeh T, Huang H, Leu S, Yang C, Tsai Y. Diverse effects of type II collagen on osteogenic and adipogenic differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells. J Cell Physiol. 2012;227:2412-20 pubmed publisher..Such effects are integrin binding-mediated and conducted through FAK-JNK and/or FAK-ERK signaling cascades. These results inspire a novel strategy encompassing type II collagen in bone tissue engineering. ..
- Lin C, Liem A, Wu C, Wu Y, Yang J, Feng C. Severity score for predicting pneumonia in inhalation injury patients. Burns. 2012;38:203-7 pubmed publisher..The impact of these risk factors should be validated in further prospective trials to improve outcome or at least reduce the incidence of the surrogate diagnosis of pneumonia...
- Huang Y, Lin D, Huang J, Chiu N, Ho C. ??mTc-ethyl cysteinate dimer cranial single-photon emission computed tomography and serial cranial magnetic resonance imaging in a girl with isolated sulfite oxidase deficiency. Pediatr Neurol. 2012;47:44-6 pubmed publisher..The characteristic neuroimaging findings in isolated sulfite oxidase deficiency help differentiate it from hypoxic insult. The correct diagnosis is helpful in genetic counseling for parents. ..
- Kuo C, Chiu H, Lee I, Kuo H, Lee C, Yang C. Statin use and the risk of bladder cancer: a population-based case-control study. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2012;11:733-8 pubmed publisher..11 (95% CI 0.67 - 1.85) for the group with cumulative statin use of 196 DDDs or more. The present data do not provide evidence to support either beneficial or harmful associations between statin use and bladder cancer risk. ..
- Wu C, Chiou C, Chiu H, Yang U. Fine-tuning of microRNA-mediated repression of mRNA by splicing-regulated and highly repressive microRNA recognition element. BMC Genomics. 2013;14:438 pubmed publisher..A possible application of this observed association is in distinguishing functionally relevant MREs from predicted MREs. ..
- Wang C, Tu C, Wang P, Lin H, Wei P. Outcome comparison between laparoscopic and open appendectomy: evidence from a nationwide population-based study. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e68662 pubmed publisher..This study found that laparoscopic appendectomies had a lower 30-day re-admission rate, and a shorter LOS, but a slightly higher cost per discharge than open appendectomies. ..
- Tsai A, Pai H, Wang C, Liou J, Teng C, Wang J, et al. In vitro and in vivo anti-tumour effects of MPT0B014, a novel derivative aroylquinoline, and in combination with erlotinib in human non-small-cell lung cancer cells. Br J Pharmacol. 2014;171:122-33 pubmed publisher..Combined with the EGF receptor inhibitor, erlotinib, MPT0B014 exerted significant growth inhibition of A549 cells both in vitro and in vivo. B014 could be useful as an anti-cancer agent. ..
- Hsiao C, Hou Y. Combination of phototherapeutic keratectomy and wavefront-guided photorefractive keratectomy for the treatment of Thiel-Behnke corneal dystrophy. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2017;65:318-320 pubmed publisher..Additional wavefront-guided PRK may enhance the effects of PTK by reducing irregular corneal surfaces and by correcting PTK-induced hyperopic shift. ..
- Juang J, Hoffmann F. Drosophila abelson interacting protein (dAbi) is a positive regulator of abelson tyrosine kinase activity. Oncogene. 1999;18:5138-47 pubmed..Modulation of Abi protein levels may be an important mechanism for regulating the level of Abl kinase activity in the cell. ..
- Chang P, Tsai W, Lai M, Wu M, Tsau Y, Peng S. Paraganglioma manifesting as shock: a case report. J Formos Med Assoc. 2001;100:209-12 pubmed..After a series of examinations, paraganglioma was diagnosed and excision of the tumor was performed. After surgery, blood pressure stabilized and her cardiac function had fully recovered at 4 months' follow-up...
- Chen C, Chang C, Yang W, Chen C, Fann C. A genome-wide scan using tree-based association analysis for candidate loci related to fasting plasma glucose levels. BMC Genet. 2003;4 Suppl 1:S65 pubmed..This screen method that employed tree-based association showed promise for identifying candidate loci in the presence of covariates in genome scans for complex traits. ..
- Li L, Chang Y, Wang C, Tsai F, Jong S, Chung B. Steroidogenic factor 1 differentially regulates basal and inducible steroidogenic gene expression and steroid synthesis in human adrenocortical H295R cells. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2004;91:11-20 pubmed..Inhibition of SF-1 activity significantly decreased basal expression of ACTH receptor and its induction by potassium and cAMP. ..
- Lai C, Chi C, Chen H, Lai C, Fung C, Liu C. Port-A catheter-associated Nocardia bacteremia detected by gallium inflammation scan: a case report and literature review. Scand J Infect Dis. 2004;36:775-7 pubmed
- Chang K, Huang C, Tsai C, Chiu C, Lok Y. Role of IL-6 in neuroendocrine differentiation and chemosensitivity of non-small cell lung cancer. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2005;289:L438-45 pubmed..The status of NSE expression is unlikely to be a crucial factor for chemosensitivity in NSCLC cells. ..
- Hsu L, Ko Y, Chang C, Hu C, Wu S, Teng M, et al. Genetic variations of apolipoprotein A5 gene is associated with the risk of coronary artery disease among Chinese in Taiwan. Atherosclerosis. 2006;185:143-9 pubmed..These results indicate that the variants of APOA5 gene modulate plasma triglyceride and may use them to predict CAD susceptibility in Taiwanese Chinese. ..
- Tsai S, Cheng M, Chiu H, Wu T, Yang C. Air pollution and hospital admissions for asthma in a tropical city: Kaohsiung, Taiwan. Inhal Toxicol. 2006;18:549-54 pubmed..On cool days NO2 remained statistically significant in all the two-pollutant models. This study provides evidence that higher levels of ambient pollutants increase the risk of hospital admissions for asthma...
- Wang Y, Su T, Chen H. Operative laparoscopy for unruptured ectopic pregnancy in a caesarean scar. BJOG. 2006;113:1035-8 pubmed..Our results show that in the hands of a well-trained operator, laparoscopy appears to be a reasonable alternative for the management of an unruptured caesarean scar pregnancy. ..
- Lee Y, Tsay W, Lou M, Dai Y. The effectiveness of implementing a bladder ultrasound programme in neurosurgical units. J Adv Nurs. 2007;57:192-200 pubmed..47% and 2.87%, respectively. After 6 months the urinary tract infection rates decreased to 1.39%. The bladder ultrasound programme was successful and could be used to manage patients with urination disorders in neurosurgical units. ..
- Hung C, Jen Tai J, Kao P, Lin M, Liou H. Association of polymorphisms in NR1I2 and ABCB1 genes with epilepsy treatment responses. Pharmacogenomics. 2007;8:1151-8 pubmed..Other unveiled genetic variants in the NR1I2 gene that may have the potential to affect ABCB1 gene expression are worth further investigation in future studies. ..
- Lu H, Liu C, Liu T, Kao S, Lin S, Chang K. Areca-treated fibroblasts enhance tumorigenesis of oral epithelial cells. J Dent Res. 2008;87:1069-74 pubmed..This study concludes that areca nut extract may impair oral fibroblasts and then modulate the progression of oral epithelial oncogenesis via their secreted molecules. ..
- Yeh C, Hsu C, Chang M, Tsao M. Impact of the novel hepatotropic viruslike agent NV-F during chronic hepatitis C virus infection. J Infect Dis. 2008;198:1742-8 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, coinfection of the NV-F agent in chronic HCV infection is associated with more severe hepatitis activity. ..