Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Sweden
Publications1284 found, 100 shown here
- Löfstedt T, Jögi A, Sigvardsson M, Gradin K, Poellinger L, Påhlman S, et al. Induction of ID2 expression by hypoxia-inducible factor-1: a role in dedifferentiation of hypoxic neuroblastoma cells. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:39223-31 pubmed..Hypoxia-induced ID2 expression could play a significant role in the previously observed dedifferentiation of hypoxic neuroblastoma cells, which in a clinical setting could lead to less mature and more aggressive tumors. ..
- Lindgren R, Zhao J, Heller S, Berglind H, Nister M. Molecular cloning and characterization of two novel truncated isoforms of human Na+/Ca2+ exchanger 3, expressed in fetal brain. Gene. 2005;348:143-55 pubmed..1 seems more efficiently translated. Based on their structural features, NCX3-tN.1 and NCX3-tN.2 proteins are potentially involved in regulation of Na+/Ca2+ homeostasis. ..
- Malmgren K, Olsson I, Engman E, Flink R, Rydenhag B. Seizure outcome after resective epilepsy surgery in patients with low IQ. Brain. 2008;131:535-42 pubmed..Low IQ should not exclude patients from resective epilepsy surgery, but is an important prognostic factor to consider in the counselling process. ..
- Hallgren A, Claesson C, Saeedi B, Monstein H, Hanberger H, Nilsson L. Molecular detection of aggregation substance, enterococcal surface protein, and cytolysin genes and in vitro adhesion to urinary catheters of Enterococcus faecalis and E. faecium of clinical origin. Int J Med Microbiol. 2009;299:323-32 pubmed publisher..faecalis isolates with high-level gentamicin resistance (HLGR) belonging to clusters of genetically related isolates widely distributed in Swedish hospitals, were likely to carry both esp and asa1. Adhesion was not affected by esp. ..
- Andersson E, Swärd C, Stenman G, Ahlman H, Nilsson O. High-resolution genomic profiling reveals gain of chromosome 14 as a predictor of poor outcome in ileal carcinoids. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2009;16:953-66 pubmed publisher..Predictive fluorescence in situ hybridization analysis of chromosome 14 status in patients with ileal carcinoids is suggested. ..
- Ochala J, Carpen O, Larsson L. Maintenance of muscle mass, fiber size, and contractile function in mice lacking the Z-disc protein myotilin. Ups J Med Sci. 2009;114:235-41 pubmed publisher..Alternatively, compensatory over-expressions of other elements including proteins from the same subfamily, or Z-disc proteins such as telethonin, or intermediate filaments may compensate for the lack of myotilin. ..
- Gustafsson S, Lind L, Zethelius B, Venge P, Flyvbjerg A, Soderberg S, et al. Adiponectin and cardiac geometry and function in elderly: results from two community-based cohort studies. Eur J Endocrinol. 2010;162:543-50 pubmed publisher..Our results imply that adiponectin may be associated with systolic function through pathways that involve natriuretic peptides. ..
- Hermansson M, Johansson J, Gudbjartsson T, Hambreus G, Jonsson P, Lillo Gil R, et al. Esophageal perforation in South of Sweden: results of surgical treatment in 125 consecutive patients. BMC Surg. 2010;10:31 pubmed publisher..Treatment strategies are changing as less traumatic options have become available. Sealing an esophageal perforation with a covered stent, in combination with open or closed drainage when necessary, is a promising treatment strategy. ..
- Astermark J. Immune tolerance induction in patients with hemophilia A. Thromb Res. 2011;127 Suppl 1:S6-9 pubmed publisher..Ongoing studies are likely to provide further insight into the role of genetic features and the type of FVIII concentrate on the success rate of ITI. ..
- Lindstedt S, Hlebowicz J, Koul B, Wierup P, SjÃ¶gren J, Gustafsson R, et al. Comparative outcome of double lung transplantation using conventional donor lungs and non-acceptable donor lungs reconditioned ex vivo. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2011;12:162-5 pubmed publisher..Ex vivo lung evaluation and reconditioning might not prolong early postoperative course in double lung transplantation. However, given the small number of patients, there might be a failure to detect a difference between the two groups. ..
- Lundberg J, Weitzberg E. Biology of nitrogen oxides in the gastrointestinal tract. Gut. 2013;62:616-29 pubmed publisher..In addition, opportunities for nitric oxide-based pharmacological or dietary interventions are highlighted...
- Novak M, Bjorck L, Giang K, Hedén Stahl C, Wilhelmsen L, Rosengren A. Perceived stress and incidence of Type 2 diabetes: a 35-year follow-up study of middle-aged Swedish men. Diabet Med. 2013;30:e8-16 pubmed publisher..Self-perceived permanent stress is an important long-term predictor of diagnosed diabetes, independently of socio-economic status, BMI and other conventional Type 2 diabetes risk factors. ..
- Laaksonen M, Kemppainen J, Kyrolainen H, Knuuti J, Nuutila P, Kalliokoski K. Regional differences in blood flow, glucose uptake and fatty acid uptake within quadriceps femoris muscle during dynamic knee-extension exercise. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2013;113:1775-82 pubmed publisher..As such, an important methodological outcome from these results is that one sample from a specific part of the QF muscle does not represent the response in the entire QF muscle group...
- Titova O, Ax E, Brooks S, SjÃ¶gren P, Cederholm T, Kilander L, et al. Mediterranean diet habits in older individuals: associations with cognitive functioning and brain volumes. Exp Gerontol. 2013;48:1443-8 pubmed publisher..Further, they suggest that the MeDi score is a construct that may mask possible associations of single MeDi features with brain health domains in elderly populations. ..
- Schou M, Varnas K, Jureus A, Ahlgren C, Malmquist J, Häggkvist J, et al. Discovery and Preclinical Validation of [(11)C]AZ13153556, a Novel Probe for the Histamine Type 3 Receptor. ACS Chem Neurosci. 2016;7:177-84 pubmed publisher..11)C]5 has suitable properties for quantification of H3 receptors in nonhuman primate brain and has the potential to offer improved binding kinetics in man compared to [(11)C]1. ..
- Iraeus J, Lindquist M. Development and validation of a generic finite element vehicle buck model for the analysis of driver rib fractures in real life nearside oblique frontal crashes. Accid Anal Prev. 2016;95:42-56 pubmed publisher..The current version of the stochastic model can be used to evaluate new safety measures using a population of frontal crashes for senior occupants. ..
- Carlson J, Wahlgren M. Plasmodium falciparum erythrocyte rosetting is mediated by promiscuous lectin-like interactions. J Exp Med. 1992;176:1311-7 pubmed..Our results suggest that rosetting is mediated by multiple lectin-like interactions, the usage of which rely on the parasite phenotype and whether the receptors are present on the host cell or not. ..
- Forsberg E, Ek B, Engstrom A, Johansson S. Purification and characterization of integrin alpha 9 beta 1. Exp Cell Res. 1994;213:183-90 pubmed..The results indicate that alpha 9 beta 1 is a widely distributed laminin/collagen receptor which may have additional, yet unidentified ligands. ..
- Ragnar Norrby S. Atypical pneumonia in the Nordic countries: aetiology and clinical results of a trial comparing fleroxacin and doxycycline. Nordic Atypical Pneumonia Study Group. J Antimicrob Chemother. 1997;39:499-508 pubmed..The null hypothesis that fleroxacin was <15% inferior to doxycycline was accepted at early follow-up but rejected at later review. ..
- Johansson J, Gudmundsson G, Rottenberg M, Berndt K, Agerberth B. Conformation-dependent antibacterial activity of the naturally occurring human peptide LL-37. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:3718-24 pubmed..However, in the presence of human serum, the antibacterial and the cytotoxic activities of LL-37 are inhibited. ..
- Locht H, Skogh T, Kihlstrom E. Anti-lactoferrin antibodies and other types of anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies (ANCA) in reactive arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis. Clin Exp Immunol. 1999;117:568-73 pubmed..The reaction to the 78-kD antigen could be completely inhibited when anti-Lf antibodies were absorbed on Lf coupled to cyanogen bromide-activated Sepharose, possibly indicating cross-reacting epitopes in Lf and enterobacterial antigen. ..
- Lu S, Carlsen S, Hansson A, Holmdahl R. Immunization of rats with homologous type XI collagen leads to chronic and relapsing arthritis with different genetics and joint pathology than arthritis induced with homologous type II collagen. J Autoimmun. 2002;18:199-211 pubmed..Taken together, C(XI)IA is a chronic relapsing and erosive polyarthritis that is MHC associated, which in fact fulfills the criteria for diagnosis of RA. Thus the C(XI)IA model will be useful as a novel and relevant animal model for RA...
- Nordenstrom A, Servin A, Bohlin G, Larsson A, Wedell A. Sex-typed toy play behavior correlates with the degree of prenatal androgen exposure assessed by CYP21 genotype in girls with congenital adrenal hyperplasia. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002;87:5119-24 pubmed..Our results support the view that prenatal androgen exposure has a direct organizational effect on the human brain to determine certain aspects of sex-typed behavior. ..
- Nilsson U, Frennesson C, Nilsson S. Patients with AMD and a large absolute central scotoma can be trained successfully to use eccentric viewing, as demonstrated in a scanning laser ophthalmoscope. Vision Res. 2003;43:1777-87 pubmed..0+/-5.8 words/min. With training (mean 5.2 hours), it increased significantly (p<0.001) to 68.3+/-19.4 words per min. Training of eccentric reading has thus proved to be very successful...
- Grahn A, Barkhordar G, Larson G. Identification of seven new alpha2,3-sialyltransferase III, ST3Gal III, transcripts from human foetal brain. Glycoconj J. 2004;20:493-500 pubmed..Isotranscripts ST3Gal III C9 and B10 were distinctly different from all other forms identified so far. The splice variants reported here are unlikely to express enzymatic activities but may other biological functions. ..
- Percipalle P, Visa N. Molecular functions of nuclear actin in transcription. J Cell Biol. 2006;172:967-71 pubmed
- Stallberg B, Selroos O, Vogelmeier C, Andersson E, Ekström T, Larsson K. Budesonide/formoterol as effective as prednisolone plus formoterol in acute exacerbations of COPD. A double-blind, randomised, non-inferiority, parallel-group, multicentre study. Respir Res. 2009;10:11 pubmed publisher..An early increase in budesonide/formoterol dose may therefore be tried before oral corticosteroids are used. NCT00259779. ..
- Swedberg K, Komajda M, Bohm M, Borer J, Ford I, Tavazzi L. Rationale and design of a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled outcome trial of ivabradine in chronic heart failure: the Systolic Heart Failure Treatment with the I(f) Inhibitor Ivabradine Trial (SHIFT). Eur J Heart Fail. 2010;12:75-81 pubmed publisher..The SHIFT study will assess if a heart rate reduction by direct sinus node inhibition can reduce cardiovascular outcomes in patients with chronic heart failure and left-ventricular systolic dysfunction. ..
- Akerblom H, Larsson E, Eriksson U, Holmstrom G. Central macular thickness is correlated with gestational age at birth in prematurely born children. Br J Ophthalmol. 2011;95:799-803 pubmed publisher..Prematurely born children had thicker central maculae than those born at term. Regardless of ROP, the degree of prematurity was the most important risk factor for abnormal foveal development. ..
- Kozlova I, Ruusala A, Voytyuk O, Skandalis S, Heldin P. IQGAP1 regulates hyaluronan-mediated fibroblast motility and proliferation. Cell Signal. 2012;24:1856-62 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings indicate important roles for IQGAP1 in hyaluronan-stimulated migration and proliferation of fibroblasts. ..
- Rosendahl A, Gundewar C, Said K, Karnevi E, Andersson R. Celecoxib synergizes human pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma cells to sorafenib-induced growth inhibition. Pancreatology. 2012;12:219-26 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that combined treatment with sorafenib and celecoxib synergistically induce growth inhibition and apoptosis in pancreatic adenocarcinoma cells through a process involving p21(WAF1/Cip1) suppression. ..
- Olsson S, Holmegaard L, Jood K, Sjögren M, Engstrom G, Lövkvist H, et al. Genetic variation within the interleukin-1 gene cluster and ischemic stroke. Stroke. 2012;43:2278-82 pubmed publisher..This comprehensive study, based on a tagSNP approach and replication, presents support for the role of IL1RN in overall IS. ..
- Chatterjee S, Peters S, Woodward M, Mejia Arango S, Batty G, Beckett N, et al. Type 2 Diabetes as a Risk Factor for Dementia in Women Compared With Men: A Pooled Analysis of 2.3 Million People Comprising More Than 100,000 Cases of Dementia. Diabetes Care. 2016;39:300-7 pubmed publisher..001). Individuals with type 2 diabetes are at ∼60% greater risk for the development of dementia compared with those without diabetes. For vascular dementia, but not for nonvascular dementia, the additional risk is greater in women. ..
- Winkvist A, Hultén B, Kim J, Johansson I, Toren K, Brisman J, et al. Dietary intake, leisure time activities and obesity among adolescents in Western Sweden: a cross-sectional study. Nutr J. 2016;15:41 pubmed publisher..These actions may be helpful in reducing risks for overweight and obesity. ..
- Ridderström M, Saccucci F, Hellman U, Bergman T, Principato G, Mannervik B. Molecular cloning, heterologous expression, and characterization of human glyoxalase II. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:319-23 pubmed..The recombinant enzyme had full catalytic activity and kinetic parameters indistinguishable from those of the native enzyme purified from human erythrocytes. ..
- Nilsson G, Johnell M, Hammer C, Tiffany H, Nilsson K, Metcalfe D, et al. C3a and C5a are chemotaxins for human mast cells and act through distinct receptors via a pertussis toxin-sensitive signal transduction pathway. J Immunol. 1996;157:1693-8 pubmed..Direct chemoattraction of mast cells by C3a and C5a may help explain the rapid accumulation of mast cells at sites of inflammation. ..
- Zhang F, Zhang Q, Tengholm A, Sjoholm A. Involvement of JAK2 and Src kinase tyrosine phosphorylation in human growth hormone-stimulated increases in cytosolic free Ca2+ and insulin secretion. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2006;291:C466-75 pubmed..Our study indicates that hGH stimulates rise in [Ca(2+)](i) and insulin secretion mainly through activation of the prolactin receptor and JAK2 and Src kinases in rat insulin-secreting cells. ..
- Berglund C, Ito T, Ikeda M, Ma X, Söderquist B, Hiramatsu K. Novel type of staphylococcal cassette chromosome mec in a methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strain isolated in Sweden. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2008;52:3512-6 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that novel SCCmec elements can be generated on the staphylococcal chromosome through the recombination between extant SCC elements and mec gene complexes. ..
- Hulten L, Levin M. The role of hypoxia in atherosclerosis. Curr Opin Lipidol. 2009;20:409-14 pubmed publisher..Further understanding of the effects of hypoxia in atherosclerotic lesions could indicate potential therapeutic targets. ..
- Johnsson A, Vikgren J, Svalkvist A, Zachrisson S, Flinck A, Boijsen M, et al. Overview of two years of clinical experience of chest tomosynthesis at Sahlgrenska University Hospital. Radiat Prot Dosimetry. 2010;139:124-9 pubmed publisher..Also, chest tomosynthesis has a limited depth resolution, which may explain why pathology in the subpleural region is more difficult to interpret and artefacts from medical devices may occur. ..
- Uhlen P, Fritz N. Biochemistry of calcium oscillations. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;396:28-32 pubmed publisher..Here, we review the underlying biochemical mechanisms responsible for generating and discriminating cytosolic Ca2+ oscillations. ..
- Hakkarainen K, Hedna K, Petzold M, Hägg S. Percentage of patients with preventable adverse drug reactions and preventability of adverse drug reactions--a meta-analysis. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e33236 pubmed publisher..The percentage of patients with preventable adverse drug reactions among inpatients and in primary care is largely unknown and should be investigated in future research. ..
- Burza M, Pirazzi C, Maglio C, Sjöholm K, Mancina R, Svensson P, et al. PNPLA3 I148M (rs738409) genetic variant is associated with hepatocellular carcinoma in obese individuals. Dig Liver Dis. 2012;44:1037-41 pubmed publisher..The current study is the first prospective report showing the association of the PNPLA3 I148M genetic variant and hepatocellular carcinoma in severely obese individuals. ..
- Andrén K, Wikkelsø C, Tisell M, Hellström P. Natural course of idiopathic normal pressure hydrocephalus. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2014;85:806-10 pubmed publisher..This deterioration is only partially reversible. To maximise the benefits of shunt treatment, surgery should be performed soon after diagnosis. ..
- Bjersing J, Larsson A, Palstam A, Ernberg M, Bileviciute Ljungar I, LÃ¶fgren M, et al. Benefits of resistance exercise in lean women with fibromyalgia: involvement of IGF-1 and leptin. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2017;18:106 pubmed publisher..Resistance exercise combined with dietary interventions might benefit patients with FM and overweight. The trial was registered 21 of October 2010 with ClinicalTrials.gov identification number: NCT01226784 . ..
- Oliw E, Stark K, Bylund J. Oxidation of prostaglandin H(2) and prostaglandin H(2) analogues by human cytochromes P450: analysis of omega-side chain hydroxy metabolites and four steroisomers of 5-hydroxyprostaglandin I(1) by mass spectrometry. Biochem Pharmacol. 2001;62:407-15 pubmed..We conclude that omega-side chain hydroxylation of PGH(2) analogues may be catalyzed by many different cytochromes P450, but only CYP4F8 oxidizes the omega-side chain of PGH(2) efficiently. ..
- Haenni A, Reneland R, Andersson P, Lind L, Lithell H. Skeletal muscle magnesium content is correlated with plasma glucose concentration in patients with essential hypertension treated with lisinopril or bendrofluazide. Am J Hypertens. 2002;15:735-8 pubmed..However, the Mg concentration in skeletal muscle did not significantly predict the insulin sensitivity or glucose tolerance. ..
- Espmark A, Rosenhall U, Erlandsson S, Steen B. The two faces of presbyacusis: hearing impairment and psychosocial consequences. Int J Audiol. 2002;41:125-35 pubmed..In spite of the participants' worry about hearing deterioration, only 8% requested hearing aids as a result of the examination. ..
- Schmidtchen A, Frick I, Andersson E, Tapper H, Bjorck L. Proteinases of common pathogenic bacteria degrade and inactivate the antibacterial peptide LL-37. Mol Microbiol. 2002;46:157-68 pubmed..The results indicate that proteolytic degradation of LL-37 is a common virulence mechanism and that molecules which block this degradation could have therapeutic potential. ..
- Efendiev R, Krmar R, Ogimoto G, Zwiller J, Tripodi G, Katz A, et al. Hypertension-linked mutation in the adducin alpha-subunit leads to higher AP2-mu2 phosphorylation and impaired Na+,K+-ATPase trafficking in response to GPCR signals and intracellular sodium. Circ Res. 2004;95:1100-8 pubmed
- Andersson N, Malm J, Bäcklund T, Eklund A. Assessment of cerebrospinal fluid outflow conductance using constant-pressure infusion--a method with real time estimation of reliability. Physiol Meas. 2005;26:1137-48 pubmed..This feature has to be taken into account in every individual case, before making a decision or performing research based on measurements of C(out) in the future. ..
- Jansson A, Gunnarsson C, Stal O. Proliferative responses to altered 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (17HSD) type 2 expression in human breast cancer cells are dependent on endogenous expression of 17HSD type 1 and the oestradiol receptors. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2006;13:875-84 pubmed..Expression of 17HSD type 1 seems to be dominant to 17HSD type 2. Therefore, it may be important to investigate a ratio between 17HSD type 1 and 17HSD type 2. ..
- Ardesjö B, Hansson C, Bruder C, Rorsman F, Betterle C, Dumanski J, et al. Autoantibodies to glutathione S-transferase theta 1 in patients with primary sclerosing cholangitis and other autoimmune diseases. J Autoimmun. 2008;30:273-82 pubmed publisher..This increased frequency can be explained by an autoimmune phenotype which increases susceptibility to such autoantibodies, or by a high frequency of the GSTT1-null genotype in autoimmune disease...
- Andersson M, Greiff L, Wollmer P. Nasal treatment with a microemulsion reduces allergen challenge-induced symptoms and signs of allergic rhinitis. Acta Otolaryngol. 2008;128:666-9 pubmed publisher..008). The challenge-induced symptoms as well as the plasma exudation were attenuated by treatment with the microemulsion (p=0.016 and 0.012, respectively, compared with placebo). ..
- Mirza M, Larsson A, Lind L, Larsson T. Circulating fibroblast growth factor-23 is associated with vascular dysfunction in the community. Atherosclerosis. 2009;205:385-90 pubmed publisher..Additional studies are required to determine possible direct vascular effects of FGF23 and whether FGF23 is a modifiable CV risk factor. ..
- Thorstensson C, Lohmander L, Frobell R, Roos E, Gooberman Hill R. Choosing surgery: patients' preferences within a trial of treatments for anterior cruciate ligament injury. A qualitative study. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2009;10:100 pubmed publisher..Definition of successful outcome may require an individualised approach, incorporating patients' as well as surgeons' views before treatment decisions are made. ..
- Carr R, Larsen M, Jelic K, Lindgren O, Vikman J, Holst J, et al. Secretion and dipeptidyl peptidase-4-mediated metabolism of incretin hormones after a mixed meal or glucose ingestion in obese compared to lean, nondiabetic men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010;95:872-8 pubmed publisher..2) Increased plasma DPP-4 activity in obesity is not associated with a generalized augmented incretin hormone metabolism. ..
- Felixsson E, Persson I, Eriksson A, Persson K. Horse chestnut extract contracts bovine vessels and affects human platelet aggregation through 5-HT(2A) receptors: an in vitro study. Phytother Res. 2010;24:1297-301 pubmed publisher..Human platelet aggregation is reduced by horse chestnut. The clinical importance of these findings concerning clinical use, possible adverse effects, and drug interactions remains to be investigated. ..
- Hulth A, Rydevik G. GET WELL: an automated surveillance system for gaining new epidemiological knowledge. BMC Public Health. 2011;11:252 pubmed publisher..Furthermore we can see advantages with having full access to the raw data. ..
- Ebrahimi Z, Wilhelmson K, Eklund K, Moore C, Jakobsson A. Health despite frailty: exploring influences on frail older adults' experiences of health. Geriatr Nurs. 2013;34:289-94 pubmed publisher..The importance of supporting frail older adults in subjective resilience in their context is emphasized. ..
- Cumming T, Blomstrand C, Skoog I, Linden T. The High Prevalence of Anxiety Disorders After Stroke. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2016;24:154-60 pubmed publisher..Point prevalence of anxiety disorders is markedly higher after stroke than in the general population, and this cannot be attributed to higher rates of comorbid depression. ..
- TÃ¶rnqvist P, Resch T, GottsÃ¤ter A, Malina M, Wassélius J. Postoperative CT Evaluation After EVAR: A Comparison of Image Assessment. J Endovasc Ther. 2016;23:125-9 pubmed publisher..However, the frequency of clinically significant findings or findings that might warrant reintervention was low in this study. ..
- Ando Y, Suhr O, Yamashita T, Ohlsson P, Holmgren G, Obayashi K, et al. Detection of different forms of variant transthyretin (Met30) in cerebrospinal fluid. Neurosci Lett. 1997;238:123-6 pubmed..This method will contribute to make a diagnosis of neurologic disorders having a mutant protein in CSF as well as serum...
- Lindahl R, Wästerby A, Levin J. Determination of morpholine in air by derivatisation with 1-naphthylisothiocyanate and HPLC analysis. Analyst. 2001;126:152-4 pubmed..The lowest level tested corresponded to 7 mg m-3 (1/10 threshold limit value) for a 15 min sampling period with a sampling rate of 20 ml min-1. Exposed NIT-coated XAD-2 tubes were stable at room temperature for at least 2 weeks. ..
- Hagner McWhirter A, Li J, Oscarson S, Lindahl U. Irreversible glucuronyl C5-epimerization in the biosynthesis of heparan sulfate. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:14631-8 pubmed..These results indicate that glucuronic acid C5-epimerization is effectively irreversible in vivo and argue for a stringent organization of the biosynthetic machinery. ..
- Norberg P, Bergstrom T, Rekabdar E, Lindh M, Liljeqvist J. Phylogenetic analysis of clinical herpes simplex virus type 1 isolates identified three genetic groups and recombinant viruses. J Virol. 2004;78:10755-64 pubmed..The presence of polymorphic tandem repeat regions and the different genogroup identities can be used for molecular epidemiology studies and for further detection of recombination in the HSV-1 genome. ..
- Leonardsson O, Sernbo I, Carlsson A, Akesson K, Rogmark C. Long-term follow-up of replacement compared with internal fixation for displaced femoral neck fractures: results at ten years in a randomised study of 450 patients. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2010;92:406-12 pubmed publisher..Primary replacement gave reliable long-term results in patients with a displaced fracture of the femoral neck. ..
- Eriksson B, Smith J, Caprini J, Hantel S, Clemens A, Feuring M, et al. Evaluation of the acute coronary syndrome safety profile of dabigatran etexilate in patients undergoing major orthopedic surgery: findings from four Phase 3 trials. Thromb Res. 2012;130:396-402 pubmed publisher..None of these between-group differences were statistically significant. No increased ACS signal was detected with dabigatran etexilate compared with enoxaparin during or after treatment. ..
- Westling K, Pettersson K, Kaldma A, Naver L. Rapid decline in HIV viral load when introducing raltegravir-containing antiretroviral treatment late in pregnancy. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2012;26:714-7 pubmed publisher..No infant was infected. This report suggests that raltegravir added to standard antiretroviral treatment would be an option for women presenting with HIV in late pregnancy. ..
- Ulvsback M, Lazure C, Lilja H, Spurr N, Rao V, Loffler C, et al. Gene structure of semenogelin I and II. The predominant proteins in human semen are encoded by two homologous genes on chromosome 20. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:18080-4 pubmed..The nucleotide sequences exhibit a similarity of close to 90% in the exons and exceeding 80% in the introns and flanking nucleotides. ..
- Sjoholm A. Inherited complement deficiency states: implications for immunity and immunological disease. APMIS. 1990;98:861-74 pubmed..Notably, complement deficiency has not been reported in classical rheumatoid arthritis. Considerations of this kind would be refuted or modified by findings of complement deficiency in single patients. ..
- Axelsson K, Nydahl P, Philipson L, Larsson P. Motor and sensory blockade after epidural injection of mepivacaine, bupivacaine, and etidocaine--a double-blind study. Anesth Analg. 1989;69:739-47 pubmed..The Bromage scale corresponded to the motor blockade only during the first half of the regression phase. Not until 1-3 h after attainment of Bromage grade 0 was the muscle force of all movements restored (90% of control values)...
- Rahman M, Tondel M, Ahmad S, Axelson O. Diabetes mellitus associated with arsenic exposure in Bangladesh. Am J Epidemiol. 1998;148:198-203 pubmed..0, 2.6, 3.9, and 8.8, representing a significant trend in risk (p < 0.001). The result corroborates earlier studies and suggests that arsenic exposure is a risk factor for diabetes mellitus. ..
- Surapureddi S, Svartz J, Magnusson K, Hammarstrom S, Soderstrom M. Colocalization of leukotriene C synthase and microsomal glutathione S-transferase elucidated by indirect immunofluorescence analysis. FEBS Lett. 2000;480:239-43 pubmed..We also observed that coexpression substantially reduced the catalytic activity of each enzyme suggesting that a mechanism involving protein-protein interaction may contribute to the regulation of LTC4 production. ..
- Torell E, Cars O, Hambraeus A. Ampicillin-resistant enterococci in a Swedish university hospital: nosocomial spread and risk factors for infection. Scand J Infect Dis. 2001;33:182-7 pubmed..Infection control measures focusing on protecting patients at high risk for ARE infections and further efforts to optimize antimicrobial use are proposed. ..
- Lindsten K, de Vrij F, Verhoef L, Fischer D, van Leeuwen F, Hol E, et al. Mutant ubiquitin found in neurodegenerative disorders is a ubiquitin fusion degradation substrate that blocks proteasomal degradation. J Cell Biol. 2002;157:417-27 pubmed..Our findings suggest that the inhibitory activity of UBB(+1) may be an important determinant of neurotoxicity and contribute to an environment that favors the accumulation of misfolded proteins. ..
- Faergemann J. Medical history. Lancet. 2002;360:689 pubmed
- Dillner J, Brown D. Can genital-tract human papillomavirus infection and cervical cancer be prevented with a vaccine?. Expert Rev Mol Med. 2004;6:1-21 pubmed..It then summarises studies examining the use of vaccines to prevent HPV infection in animals and humans, and, finally, discusses some of the unanswered issues surrounding vaccine development against HPV infection and cervical cancer. ..
- Edlund S, Lee S, Grimsby S, Zhang S, Aspenstrom P, Heldin C, et al. Interaction between Smad7 and beta-catenin: importance for transforming growth factor beta-induced apoptosis. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:1475-88 pubmed
- Smith E, Akerblad P, Kadesch T, Axelson H, Sigvardsson M. Inhibition of EBF function by active Notch signaling reveals a novel regulatory pathway in early B-cell development. Blood. 2005;106:1995-2001 pubmed..Ligand-induced stimulation of endogenous Notch receptors with Delta4 mimicked the activity of Notch1-IC toward EBF. These data suggest that Notch signaling may affect B-versus T-lineage commitment by the targeting of both EBF and E2A. ..
- Li C, Borgfeldt C, Samsioe G, Lidfeldt J, Nerbrand C. Background factors influencing somatic and psychological symptoms in middle-age women with different hormonal status. A population-based study of Swedish women. Maturitas. 2005;52:306-18 pubmed..Hormone replacement therapy seems to be able to counteract negative impacts caused by un-healthy lifestyle and other health problems. ..
- Bengoechea Alonso M, Punga T, Ericsson J. Hyperphosphorylation regulates the activity of SREBP1 during mitosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:11681-6 pubmed..Thus, our results demonstrate that the activity of mature SREBP1 is regulated by phosphorylation during the cell cycle, suggesting that SREBP1 may provide a link between lipid synthesis, proliferation, and cell growth. ..
- Brink M, Hagberg L. Outcome of 8-hour dosing intervals with beta-lactam antibiotics in adult acute bacterial meningitis. Scand J Infect Dis. 2006;38:772-7 pubmed..1%. Our study shows that a low mortality rate can be achieved using beta-lactam antibiotics at longer dosing intervals than usually recommended by international guidelines. ..
- Carlsson K, Liu J, Edqvist P, Francis M. Extracytoplasmic-stress-responsive pathways modulate type III secretion in Yersinia pseudotuberculosis. Infect Immun. 2007;75:3913-24 pubmed..Thus, the Cpx pathway might mediate multiple influences on bacterium-target cell contact that modulate Yersinia type III secretion-dependent host cell cytotoxicity...
- Makeeva N, Roomans G, Myers J, Welsh N. Transforming growth factor-beta-activated protein kinase 1-binding protein (TAB)-1alpha, but not TAB1beta, mediates cytokine-induced p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase phosphorylation and cell death in insulin-producing cells. Endocrinology. 2008;149:302-9 pubmed..We conclude that TAB1alpha, but not TAB1beta, plays an important role in the activation of p38 in insulin-producing cells and therefore also in cytokine-induced beta-cell death. ..
- Hollberg K, Marsell R, Norgård M, Larsson T, Jonsson K, Andersson G. Osteoclast polarization is not required for degradation of bone matrix in rachitic FGF23 transgenic mice. Bone. 2008;42:1111-21 pubmed publisher..The data collectively provide evidence that osteoclasts, despite absence of ruffled borders, effectively participate in the degradation of hypomineralized bone matrix in rachitic FGF23 tg mice. ..
- Karlberg H, Brinkmo B. The unethical focus on access: a study of medical ethics and the waiting-time guarantee. Scand J Public Health. 2009;37:117-21 pubmed publisher..For more than a decade, the interpretation in Sweden of the equitable principle based on medical needs has been distorted through political decisions, leading to healthcare providers giving priority to access rather than needs for care. ..
- Nordén R, Nyström K, Olofsson S. Activation of host antiviral RNA-sensing factors necessary for herpes simplex virus type 1-activated transcription of host cell fucosyltransferase genes FUT3, FUT5, and FUT6 and subsequent expression of sLe(x) in virus-infected cells. Glycobiology. 2009;19:776-88 pubmed publisher
- Sjörs A, Larsson B, Dahlman J, Falkmer T, Gerdle B. Physiological responses to low-force work and psychosocial stress in women with chronic trapezius myalgia. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2009;10:63 pubmed publisher..The suggestion of autonomic imbalance in patients with chronic local or regional musculoskeletal pain needs to be further investigated. ..