Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Cuba
Publications117 found, 100 shown here
- Aguilar Cordero M, SÃ¡nchez LÃ³pez A, Madrid BaÃ±os N, Mur Villar N, ExpÃ³sito Ruiz M, Hermoso RodrÃguez E. [Breastfeeding for the prevention of overweight and obesity in children and teenagers; systematic review]. Nutr Hosp. 2014;31:606-20 pubmed publisher..Igualmente, se han relacionado con la obesidad infantil el peso de la madre durante el embarazo, el peso del niÃ±o al nacer, el tabaquismo materno y el nivel socioeconÃ³mico. ..
- Menendez R, Marrero D, Mas R, Fernández I, Gonzalez L, Gonzalez R. In vitro and in vivo study of octacosanol metabolism. Arch Med Res. 2005;36:113-9 pubmed..Scarce data about the metabolism of octacosanol and the other fatty alcohols composing policosanol have been published...
- Núñez F, Espinosa F, Astencio Rodríguez G, Chacón Medina A, Atencio I, Medell Gago M. [First finding of human infection with Paracapillaria (Crosscapillaria) philippinensis (Chitwood, Velázquez y Salazar, 1968) in Cuba]. Rev Cubana Med Trop. 2010;62:125-9 pubmed..The epidemiological alert on the possible emergence of new cases of this parasitic infection in our geographic zone is important, mainly in those places where the habit of eating raw or undercooked fish is part of the local culture. ..
- Machado I, Chong A, Serrano A, Naranjo Ugalde A, Pineda D, SavÃ³n L, et al. Epithelioid Hemangioma (Angiolymphoid Hyperplasia With Eosinophilia) of the Heart With Peripheral Eosinophilia and Nephrotic Syndrome. Int J Surg Pathol. 2016;24:59-65 pubmed publisher..EH and Kimura disease represent separate entities, but clinical and/or histological overlapping can be observed. Epithelioid/histiocytoid endothelial cells constitute the hallmark feature that favors a final diagnosis of EH. ..
- Alfonso Y, Fraga J, Jiménez N, Fonseca C, Dorta Contreras A, Cox R, et al. Detection of Toxoplasma gondii in cerebrospinal fluid from AIDS patients by nested PCR and rapid identification of type I allele at B1 gene by RFLP analysis. Exp Parasitol. 2009;122:203-7 pubmed publisher..This is the first report of evaluation of S1-AS1/S2-AS2 set of primers in more than 100 clinical samples as well as the first genotyping study of T. gondii in Cuba. ..
- Venero FernÃ¡ndez S, Medina R, Britton J, Fogarty A. The association between living through a prolonged economic depression and the male:female birth ratio--a longitudinal study from Cuba, 1960-2008. Am J Epidemiol. 2011;174:1327-31 pubmed publisher..These data may be relevant in the modeling of demographic projections in countries that experience prolonged economic depression and in understanding adaptive human reproductive responses to environmental change. ..
- Aguilar Cordero M, Baena GarcÃa L, SÃ¡nchez LÃ³pez A, Mur Villar N, FernÃ¡ndez Castillo R, GarcÃa GarcÃa I. [NON PHARMACOLOGICAL METHODS TO REDUCE PAIN IN NEWBORNS; SYSTEMATIC REVIEW]. Nutr Hosp. 2015;32:2496-507 pubmed publisher..No obstante, se requieren mÃ¡s estudios en este sentido, asÃ como la aplicaciÃ³n de un mÃ©todo de valoraciÃ³n universal, para la posterior evaluaciÃ³n de los resultados a medio y largo plazo. ..
- González Y, Tanaka A, Hirata I, del Rivero M, Oliva M, Araujo M, et al. Purification and partial characterization of human neutrophil elastase inhibitors from the marine snail Cenchritis muricatus (Mollusca). Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2007;146:506-13 pubmed..2 and 1.6 nM, respectively. In addition, trypsin and pancreatic elastase were also inhibited, but not plasma kallikrein or thrombin. CmPI-I and CmPI-II are the first human neutrophil elastase inhibitors described in a mollusk. ..
- Llibre Rodriguez J, Valhuerdi A, Sanchez I, Reyna C, Guerra M, Copeland J, et al. The prevalence, correlates and impact of dementia in Cuba. A 10/66 group population-based survey. Neuroepidemiology. 2008;31:243-51 pubmed publisher..More attention needs to be given to it and other chronic diseases associated more with disability than premature mortality. ..
- Vernhes M, González Pumariega M, Andrade L, Schuch A, de Lima Bessa K, Menck C, et al. Protective effect of a Phyllanthus orbicularis aqueous extract against UVB light in human cells. Pharm Biol. 2013;51:1-7 pubmed publisher..Its antigenotoxicity effect against some harmful agents has been investigated. However, the effect in ultraviolet B (UVB)-irradiated human cells has not been previously assessed...
- Castro SÃ¡nchez E, Chang P, Vila Candel R, Escobedo A, Holmes A. Health literacy and infectious diseases: why does it matter?. Int J Infect Dis. 2016;43:103-110 pubmed publisher..Large gaps remain in relation to infectious diseases with a high clinical and societal impact, such as tuberculosis and malaria. ..
- Gala Gonzalez A, Berdasquera Corcho D, Perez Avila J, Pinto Valluerca J, Suárez Valdéz J, Joanes Fiol J, et al. [Dynamics of contracting HIV seen in its social, environmental and cultural dimension]. Rev Cubana Med Trop. 2007;59:90-7 pubmed..The applicability and usefulness of this model for the study of determinants involved in HIV infection was shown. ..
- Sanabria Diaz G, Melie García L, Iturria Medina Y, Aleman Gomez Y, Hernández González G, Valdés Urrutia L, et al. Surface area and cortical thickness descriptors reveal different attributes of the structural human brain networks. Neuroimage. 2010;50:1497-510 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, this is the first time that surface area is used to study the morphological connectivity of brain networks. ..
- Alvarez N, Otero O, Camacho F, Borrero R, Tirado Y, Puig A, et al. Passive administration of purified secretory IgA from human colostrum induces protection against Mycobacterium tuberculosis in a murine model of progressive pulmonary infection. BMC Immunol. 2013;14 Suppl 1:S3 pubmed publisher..tuberculosis preincubated with hsIgA to mice greatly reduced the bacterial load in the lungs and diminished lung tissue injury. HsIgA purified from colostrum protects against M. tuberculosis infection in an experimental mouse model. ..
- Azze R, Rodríguez J, Iniesta M, Marchena X, Alfonso V, Padrón F. Immunogenicity of a new Salmonella Typhi Vi polysaccharide vaccine--vax-TyVi--in Cuban school children and teenagers. Vaccine. 2003;21:2758-60 pubmed..27 microg/ml (5.40-7.38 microg/ml) and 5.97 microg/ml (5.01-7.10 microg/ml), respectively. In contrast, subjects receiving the tetanus toxoid vaccine showed 0% seroconversion. ..
- Porto R, Pérez A, Vidal M, Fraga M. Qualitative confirmation procedure for ephedrines as acetonide derivatives in doping urine samples by gas chromatography/electron ionization mass spectrometry. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom. 2009;23:249-57 pubmed publisher..The fragmentation of theses derivatives is discussed. ..
- Escobedo A, Almirall P, Alfonso M, Avila I, Cimerman S, Salazar Y, et al. Caregiver perspectives for the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of childhood giardiasis in Havana City, Cuba. A qualitative study. Acta Trop. 2011;119:99-106 pubmed publisher..Treatment-seeking behaviour when giardiasis suspected mainly included visiting the nearby family doctor. The findings of this study reveal the need for a health education intervention in areas of misperceptions and confusion. ..
- Oropesa González L, Sánchez Valdez L, Berdasquera Corcho D, Gala Gonzalez A, Pérez Avila J, Isela Lantero M. [Clinical start of AIDS in Cuba]. Rev Cubana Med Trop. 2007;59:127-33 pubmed..It was proved that we must insist on prevention and promotion campaigns in vulnerable groups and on active screening in the health area. ..
- Cuello Almarales D, Almaguer Mederos L, Vázquez Mojena Y, Almaguer Gotay D, Zayas Feria P, Laffita Mesa J, et al. Buccal Cell Micronucleus Frequency Is Significantly Elevated in Patients with Spinocerebellar Ataxia Type 2. Arch Med Res. 2017;48:297-302 pubmed publisher..These results should be validated by other studies. ..
- Martínez P, Diaz R, Gonzalez D, Oropesa L, González R, Pérez L, et al. The effect of highly active antiretroviral therapy on outcome of central nervous system herpesviruses infection in Cuban human immunodeficiency virus-infected individuals. J Neurovirol. 2007;13:446-51 pubmed..It was therefore concluded that it is more likely that HIV individuals receiving HAART have a better recovery of CNS infections than those who are not receiving it. ..
- Ruiz Gonzalez Y, Pérez Díaz M, MartÃnez Aguila D, Díaz Barreto M, Fleitas I, Mora Machado R, et al. Objective measurements of image quality in synchrotron radiation phase-contrast imaging versus digital mammography. Int J Comput Assist Radiol Surg. 2016;11:181-8 pubmed publisher..The results showed an improvement of the contrast and edge visibility in phase-contrast images. These improvements may be important in the detection of small lesions and details. ..
- Baly A, Toledo M, Rodriguez K, Benitez J, Rodriguez M, Boelaert M, et al. Costs of dengue prevention and incremental cost of dengue outbreak control in Guantanamo, Cuba. Trop Med Int Health. 2012;17:123-32 pubmed publisher..In-depth studies should assess which mix of activities and actors could maximize the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of routine Aedes control and dengue prevention. ..
- Ribas M, Nagashima S, Calzado A, Acosta G, Tejero Y, Cordero Y, et al. Emergence of G9 as a predominant genotype of human rotaviruses in Cuba. J Med Virol. 2011;83:738-44 pubmed publisher..The study reinforces the need for a systematic surveillance of the molecular epidemiology of rotaviruses. ..
- Cordero Escobar I. [Rocuronium vs vecuronium for neuromuscular block during transsternal thymectomy in the patient with myasthenia gravis]. Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim. 2011;58:578-82 pubmed..With this blocking agent we were able to circumvent respiratory depression, with its immediate consequences, and thus meet the main clinical criterion when anesthetizing patients with myasthenia gravis. ..
- Torres L, Melián K, Moreno A, Alonso J, Sabatier C, Hernández M, et al. Prevalence of vacA, cagA and babA2 genes in Cuban Helicobacter pylori isolates. World J Gastroenterol. 2009;15:204-10 pubmed
- Perez O, Lastre M, Lapinet J, Bracho G, Diaz M, Zayas C, et al. Immune response induction and new effector mechanisms possibly involved in protection conferred by the Cuban anti-meningococcal BC vaccine. Infect Immun. 2001;69:4502-8 pubmed..In conclusion, we have shown that, at least in the Cuban adult population, VA-MENGOC-BC induces mechanisms with a T-helper 1 pattern in the afferent and effector branches of the immune response. ..
- de Oca Porto R, Pérez A, Correa Vidal M. Electron ionization mass spectra of ephedrines in a doping confirmatory procedure: a curious migration of the trimethylsilyl group in the N-acetyl-O-trimethylsilyl derivatives. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom. 2007;21:1871-6 pubmed..A curious migration of the trimethylsilyl group is proposed. ..
- Dorta Contreras A, Reiber H. [Molecular diffusion/cerebrospinal fluid flow theory]. Rev Neurol. 2004;39:564-9 pubmed..The change in the cerebrospinal flux rate it has been considered the principal modulator of the protein concentration in cerebrospinal fluid in pathological conditions characterized by a blood-cerebrospinal fluid barrier dysfunction. ..
- Valera R, García H, Jidy M, Mirabal M, Armesto M, Fando R, et al. Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial to evaluate the safety and immunogenicity of live oral cholera vaccine 638 in Cuban adults. Vaccine. 2009;27:6564-9 pubmed publisher..All subjects in the vaccine group (24) seroconverted (100%). Results show that this vaccine is safe, well tolerated and immunogenic in healthy female and male volunteers. ..
- Pardo Andreu G, Maurmann N, Reolon G, de Farias C, Schwartsmann G, Delgado R, et al. Mangiferin, a naturally occurring glucoxilxanthone improves long-term object recognition memory in rats. Eur J Pharmacol. 2010;635:124-8 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that mangiferin enhances recognition memory through a mechanism that might involve an increase in neurotrophin and cytokine levels. ..
- Dorta Contreras A, Noris García E, Escobar Pérez X, Padilla Docal B. IgG1,IgG2 and IgE intrathecal synthesis in Angiostrongylus cantonensis meningoencephalitis. J Neurol Sci. 2005;238:65-70 pubmed..Angiostrongylus cantonensis meningoencephalitis is an emergent zoonotic disease in the Caribbean basin, characterized by the presence of eosinophils and third stage larva of the helmint...
- Perez O, Batista Duharte A, Gonzalez E, Zayas C, Balboa J, Cuello M, et al. Human prophylactic vaccine adjuvants and their determinant role in new vaccine formulations. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2012;45:681-92 pubmed..A summary of toxicology and regulatory issues will also be discussed, and the Finlay Adjuvant Platform is briefly summarized. ..
- Aguila A, Bernedo R, Llop A, Ramirez M, Bravo L, Fernandez A, et al. [Study of phenotypical and antimicrobial susceptibility markers in enteric Escherichia coli strains]. Rev Cubana Med Trop. 2007;59:102-7 pubmed..Another interesting finding were intermediate resistance and susceptibility values to augmentin, aztreonan and ceftriaxone. There were 12 antimicrobial resistance patterns of which 10 were multi-resistant. ..
- Osorio M, Gracia E, Rodriguez E, Saurez G, Arango M, Noris E, et al. Heterophilic NeuGcGM3 ganglioside cancer vaccine in advanced melanoma patients: results of a Phase Ib/IIa study. Cancer Biol Ther. 2008;7:488-95 pubmed..The prognostic value of autoimmunity and the possibilities of dissociating anti-tumor immunity from autoimmunity deserve further research. ..
- Suárez Hernández M, Martínez Sánchez R, Posada Fernández P, Bustelo Aguila J, Carrera Nodal O, Bravo Fleite F, et al. [Leptospirosis in children in Ciego de Avila Province, Cuba]. Rev Soc Bras Med Trop. 1999;32:145-50 pubmed..Regarding diagnosis, 162 cases were diagnosed by the microagglutination test and 91 by the hemolytic test. Canicola, australis and pomona were the serogroups more frequently detected by the microagglutination test...
- Hernandez Bernal F, Aguilar Betancourt A, Aljovin V, Arias G, Valenzuela C, de Alejo K, et al. Comparison of four recombinant hepatitis B vaccines applied on an accelerated schedule in healthy adults. Hum Vaccin. 2011;7:1026-36 pubmed publisher..WHO primary Registry Number: RPCEC00000075]. ..
- Rodríguez A, Jiménez Y, Santiesteban N, Abreu Y, Osenes J, González M. [Evaluation of the vaccine potentiality of 2 strains from Leptospira interrogans serogroup Ballum]. Rev Cubana Med Trop. 2005;57:63-4 pubmed..The monovalent vaccine formulations obtained showed a high immunogenicity and capacity of homologous protection and, in a lesser degree, of cross protection...
- Vallespi M, Fernandez J, Torrens I, Garcia I, Garay H, Mendoza O, et al. Identification of a novel antitumor peptide based on the screening of an Ala-library derived from the LALF(32-51) region. J Pept Sci. 2010;16:40-7 pubmed publisher..Our findings describe a novel peptide that modifies the gene expression of the tumor cells and exhibits antitumor effect in vivo, indicating that peptide L-2 is a potential candidate for anticancer therapy. ..
- Bracho G, Varela E, FernÃ¡ndez R, Ordaz B, Marzoa N, MenÃ©ndez J, et al. Large-scale application of highly-diluted bacteria for Leptospirosis epidemic control. Homeopathy. 2010;99:156-66 pubmed publisher..The homeoprophylactic approach was associated with a large reduction of disease incidence and control of the epidemic. The results suggest the use of HP as a feasible tool for epidemic control, further research is warranted. ..
- Gonzalez G, Crombet T, Lage A. Chronic vaccination with a therapeutic EGF-based cancer vaccine: a review of patients receiving long lasting treatment. Curr Cancer Drug Targets. 2011;11:103-10 pubmed..Observations done in this series of patients suggest that long term therapeutic vaccination is a feasible strategy, worth to be further explored in the aim of transforming advanced cancer into a chronic disease. ..
- Pardo Ruiz Z, MenÃ©ndez SardiÃ±as D, Pacios Michelena A, Gabilondo RamÃrez T, Montero Alejo V, Perdomo Morales R. Soluble Î²-(1,3)-glucans enhance LPS-induced response in the monocyte activation test, but inhibit LPS-mediated febrile response in rabbits: Implications for pyrogenicity tests. Eur J Pharm Sci. 2016;81:18-26 pubmed publisher..Hence, MAT provides higher safety since it evidences an unwanted biological response, which is not completely controlled and is overlooked by the RPT. ..
- Aguilar Cordero M, Baena GarcÃa L, RodrÃguez Blanque R, Latorre GarcÃa J, Mur Villar N, SÃ¡nchez LÃ³pez A. [MATERNAL DIABETES MELLITUS AND ITS IMPACT ON CHILD NEURODEVELOPMENT; SYSTEMATIC REVIEW]. Nutr Hosp. 2015;32:2484-95 pubmed publisher..Asimismo, otros trabajos de investigaciÃ³n han relacionado la diabetes materna con un aumento de la incidencia de trastornos del espectro autista, como hiperactividad, dÃ©ficit de atenciÃ³n y esquizofrenia. ..
- Castellanos M, Cinza Z, Dorta Z, Veliz G, Vega H, Lorenzo I, et al. Immunization with a DNA vaccine candidate in chronic hepatitis C patients is safe, well tolerated and does not impair immune response induction after anti-hepatitis B vaccination. J Gene Med. 2010;12:107-16 pubmed publisher..Vaccination with CIGB-230 in HCV chronically-infected individuals was safe, well tolerated and did not impair the ability to respond to non-HCV antigens. ..
- Guzman M, Jaenisch T, Gaczkowski R, Ty Hang V, Sekaran S, Kroeger A, et al. Multi-country evaluation of the sensitivity and specificity of two commercially-available NS1 ELISA assays for dengue diagnosis. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2010;4: pubmed publisher..The combination of NS1 and IgM detection in samples collected in the first few days of fever increased the overall dengue diagnostic sensitivity. ..
- Castellanos Serra L, Proenza W, Huerta V, Moritz R, Simpson R. Proteome analysis of polyacrylamide gel-separated proteins visualized by reversible negative staining using imidazole-zinc salts. Electrophoresis. 1999;20:732-7 pubmed..This technique obviates the need for buffer exchange or gel lyophilisation due to all of the sample manipulation steps being carried out at near neutral pH and thus lends itself readily to automation. ..
- Vargas Dĭaz J, Garófalo Gómez N, Rodriguez U, Parra M, Barroso García E, Novoa López L, et al. [Mondini dysplasia: recurrent bacterial meningitis in adolescence]. Rev Neurol. 2004;39:935-9 pubmed..Congenital deformity of the bony labyrinth can be linked to a fistulous tract communicating it with the intracranial subarachnoid space. Mondini deformity is a frequent malformation in congenitally deaf patients...
- Robinson Agramonte M, Reiber H, Cabrera Gomez J, Galvizu R. Intrathecal polyspecific immune response to neurotropic viruses in multiple sclerosis: a comparative report from Cuban patients. Acta Neurol Scand. 2007;115:312-8 pubmed..Intrathecal measles(M)- rubella(R)- and varicella zoster(Z)-antibody synthesis in German and Cuban multiple sclerosis (MS) patients are compared considering the different rubella epidemiology in the tropics...
- Puerto I, Mojarrieta J, Martinez I, Navarro S. Renal malakoplakia as a pseudotumoral lesion in a renal transplant patient: a case report. Int J Urol. 2007;14:655-7 pubmed
- Alfonso Y, Fraga J, Cox R, Bandera F, Pomier O, Fonseca C, et al. Comparison of four DNA extraction methods from cerebrospinal fluid for the detection of Toxoplasma gondii by polymerase chain reaction in AIDS patients. Med Sci Monit. 2008;14:MT1-6 pubmed..We report a simple, rapid, reproducible, and economical in-house method for T. gondii DNA extraction from CSF. This method is recommended for diagnostic PCR of Toxoplasmic encephalitis (TE) in places with economical shortage. ..
- Alonso Hernandez C, Diaz Asencio M, Munos Caravaca A, Suarez Morell E, Avila Moreno R. 137Cs and 210Po dose assessment from marine food in Cienfuegos Bay (Cuba). J Environ Radioact. 2002;61:203-11 pubmed..The mean individual dose from 210Po in the seafood consumed varies from 39 microSv for general populations to 2802 microSv for the "critical group" consuming 320 kg of fish per year. The dose from 137Cs is negligible...
- Menendez S, Falcon L, Simon D, Landa N. Efficacy of ozonized sunflower oil in the treatment of tinea pedis. Mycoses. 2002;45:329-32 pubmed..Patients were evaluated 6 months after the end of the treatment and no recurrence was observed in the Oleozon group. Oleozon can be an effective alternative low-cost antimycotic drug...
- Sosa Díaz R, Mas Lago P, Valdés Ramírez O, Sarmiento Pérez L. [Genetic changes in strains of poliovirus type 2 isolated from patients with vaccine-associated paralytic poliomyelitis]. Rev Neurol. 2003;36:812-6 pubmed..Nevertheless, it is still a serious disease for children in underdeveloped countries of Asia and Africa...
- Escobedo A, Núñez F, Moreira I, Vega E, Pareja A, Almirall P. Comparison of chloroquine, albendazole and tinidazole in the treatment of children with giardiasis. Ann Trop Med Parasitol. 2003;97:367-71 pubmed..All three drugs were well accepted and tolerated, with only mild, transient and self-limiting side-effects reported. Chloroquine appears to be a good alternative to tinidazole for the treatment of paediatric patients with giardiasis. ..
- Oropesa P, Hernández A, Serra R, Martinez E, Varela C. Comparisons of activity measurements with radionuclide calibrators. Appl Radiat Isot. 2003;59:383-7 pubmed..The results presented in this paper facilitated the identification of several problems and initiated corrective actions. In addition, they indicate the necessity of establishing Quality Systems in nuclear medicine in Cuba. ..
- Olga P, Correa D. [Blackwater fever: a case report]. Rev Cubana Med Trop. 2003;55:50-3 pubmed..The pathogeny of this disease was discussed, specially kidney failure, making emphasis on the importance of the symptomatic and maintenance treatment in the patient's evolution...
- Fabré Ortiz D, Varona Pérez P, Suárez Medina R. [Prevalence of asthma in Cuban adolescents by different clinical criteria]. Rev Alerg Mex. 2005;52:132-7 pubmed..Several methodologies have been applied to determine its prevalence; the International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood (ISAAC) is the newest, although some inconsistencies have been attributed to their results...
- Aguiar J, FERNANDEZ J, Aguilar A, Mendoza Y, Vazquez M, Suarez J, et al. Ubiquitous expression of human SCA2 gene under the regulation of the SCA2 self promoter cause specific Purkinje cell degeneration in transgenic mice. Neurosci Lett. 2006;392:202-6 pubmed..Specific degeneration of Purkinje neurons and transgene over-expression in the brain, liver and skeletal muscle, rather than in lungs and kidneys was also observed, resembling the expression pattern of the ataxin 2 in humans. ..
- de Armas E, Sarracent Y, Marrero E, Fernández O, Branford White C. Efficacy of Rhizophora mangle aqueous bark extract (RMABE) in the treatment of aphthous ulcers: a pilot study. Curr Med Res Opin. 2005;21:1711-5 pubmed..The present study was a randomised, single-blinded, placebo control trial conducted to asses the efficacy of RMABE in treating oral aphthous ulcers...
- Fernandez Santana V, Peña Icart L, Beurret M, Costa L, Verez Bencomo V. Glycoconjugate vaccines against Haemophilus influenzae type b. Methods Enzymol. 2006;415:153-63 pubmed
- Padilla Docal B, Dorta Contreras A, Fundora Hernández H, Noris García E, Bu Coifiu Fanego R, González Hernández M, et al. C3c intrathecal synthesis evaluation in patients with multiple sclerosis. Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2007;65:800-2 pubmed..Intrathecal synthesis of C3c and its liberation to the CSF means that the activation of the complement system in any of the two ways has taken place, and that once performed its biological functions, has suffered a degradation process. ..
- Zamora J, Enrique K, Boué R, Torres F, Airado J, Hernández D. [Scale-up of the fermentation of Leptospira interrogans canicola canicola for the production of vax-SPIRAL vaccine]. Rev Cubana Med Trop. 2005;57:71-2 pubmed..The operational conditions for the production of vaccine vax-SPIRAL were established at the scale of 100 L. It was concluded that it should be carried out with an air flow of 10 L/min (0.1 vvm) and without mechanical agitation...
- Escobedo A, Canete R, Núñez F. Intestinal protozoan and helminth infections in the Municipality San Juan y Martínez, Pinar del Río, Cuba. Trop Doct. 2007;37:236-8 pubmed..The rates and intensity of intestinal parasitic infections found permit us to speculate that the conditions that predispose to acquire intestinal protozoan and STH infections persist in this municipality...
- Tejuca M, Anderluh G, Dalla Serra M. Sea anemone cytolysins as toxic components of immunotoxins. Toxicon. 2009;54:1206-14 pubmed publisher..The future prospects of the use of the N-terminal region of actinoporins for construction of IT is also described. ..
- Escobedo A, Almirall P, Alfonso M, Cimerman S, Rey S, Terry S. Treatment of intestinal protozoan infections in children. Arch Dis Child. 2009;94:478-82 pubmed publisher..This article presents an update on the pharmacotherapy currently available for amoebiasis, giardiasis and other intestinal protozoan infections...
- Villalba M, Guan M, Perez A, Corredor M, Frometa S, Moreno A, et al. Seroprevalence of antibodies to hepatitis E virus in two large communities in Havana, Cuba. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2010;104:772-6 pubmed publisher..The detection of total anti-HEV in individuals with no overt acute hepatitis suggests the existence of sub-clinical or anicteric HEV infection in these municipalities. ..
- Fraga J, Rojas L, Sariego I, Fernández Calienes A. Double-stranded RNA viral infection of Trichomonas vaginalis and correlation with genetic polymorphism of isolates. Exp Parasitol. 2011;127:593-9 pubmed publisher..028) demonstrating the existence of concordance between the genetic relatedness and the presence of TVV in T. vaginalis isolates. This result could point to a predisposition of T. vaginalis for the viral enters and/or survival...
- Castro M, Sanchez L, Perez D, Carbonell N, Lefevre P, Vanlerberghe V, et al. A community empowerment strategy embedded in a routine dengue vector control programme: a cluster randomised controlled trial. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2012;106:315-21 pubmed publisher..Over the intervention period, the BI remained 53% (95% CI 22-92%) lower in these clusters than in the control clusters. The empowerment strategy increased community involvement and added effectiveness to routine A. aegypti control. ..
- López Espinosa J. [One-hundred anniversary of the decoration of Dr Carlos J. Finlay with medal Mary Kingsley]. Rev Cubana Med Trop. 2007;59:270-2 pubmed..This modest article was aimed at saving from oblivion an event of great importance for the history of public health in general and of tropical medicine in particular since the one hundred anniversary of this event is to be celebrated. ..
- Villaescusa R, Arce A, Lalanne Mistrih M, Lamarre Y, Hierso R, Hernandez C, et al. Natural antiband 3 antibodies in patients with sickle cell disease. C R Biol. 2013;336:173-6 pubmed publisher..This study provides data suggesting that Antiband 3 Nabs are likely to play a role in the SCA VOC. ..
- Fernandez O, Capdevila J, Dalla G, Melchor G. Efficacy of Rhizophora mangle aqueous bark extract in the healing of open surgical wounds. Fitoterapia. 2002;73:564-8 pubmed..No differences between the two regimes of application of the extract of R. mangle were observed. No subject showed any sign of adverse effects and no secondary infections were observed. ..
- Mas Lago P, Gary H, Pérez L, Caceres V, Olivera J, Puentes R, et al. Poliovirus detection in wastewater and stools following an immunization campaign in Havana, Cuba. Int J Epidemiol. 2003;32:772-7 pubmed..Wastewater sampling under the conditions studied can be a sensitive supplement to AFP surveillance. Similar studies under different conditions are needed to determine the role of wastewater sampling in post-eradication surveillance. ..
- Visbal L. [Challenges facing Caribbean countries 10 years after the International Conference on Population and Development in Cairo, Egypt]. Rev Panam Salud Publica. 2004;15:140-4 pubmed
- Rojas L, Sariego I, Fraga J, Sarría C, Sarracent J, Sanchez L. Use of in vitro cytoadherence assays in the comparative study of the virulence of isolates of Trichomonas vaginalis. Parasitol Res. 2004;93:332-7 pubmed..A correlation coefficient of 0.97 was found between the pattern curves obtained by both labeling procedures. The level of adhesion to HeLa cells was directly proportional to the severity of the clinical manifestations (P < 0.05). ..
- Leon K, Faro J, Carneiro J. A general mathematical framework to model generation structure in a population of asynchronously dividing cells. J Theor Biol. 2004;229:455-76 pubmed
- Bravo L, Cabrera R, Cabrera L, Ramirez M, Castaneda N, Fernandez A, et al. [Antimicrobial susceptibility of no-O1 Vibrio cholerae strains isolated from patients in Cuba]. Rev Esp Quimioter. 2004;17:200-1 pubmed
- Guirola M, Carmenate T, Menéndez T, Alvarez A, Gonzalez S, Guillen G. Comparison of three ELISA protocols to measure antibody responses elicited against serogroup C meningococcal polysaccharide in mouse, monkey and human sera. J Microbiol Methods. 2006;65:135-43 pubmed..05), while the modified protocol detected the highest difference (P<0.01). ..
- Uli L, Castellanos Serra L, Betancourt L, Dominguez F, Barbera R, Sotolongo F, et al. Outer membrane vesicles of the VA-MENGOC-BC vaccine against serogroup B of Neisseria meningitidis: Analysis of protein components by two-dimensional gel electrophoresis and mass spectrometry. Proteomics. 2006;6:3389-99 pubmed..In this work, 2-DE and MS have been used to generate a proteomic map of this product, detailing the presence of 31 different proteins, and it allows the identification of new putative protective protein components it contains. ..
- González I, Peñas LLedó E, Pérez B, Dorado P, Alvarez M, Llerena A. Relation between CYP2D6 phenotype and genotype and personality in healthy volunteers. Pharmacogenomics. 2008;9:833-40 pubmed publisher..g., anxiety, impulsivity). Thus, research is warranted to determine CYP2D6 functional implications for interindividual differences in vulnerability to neuropsychiatric diseases and drug response. ..
- Pelayo L, Núñez F, Rojas L, Wilke H, Furuseth Hansen E, Mulder B, et al. Molecular and epidemiological investigations of cryptosporidiosis in Cuban children. Ann Trop Med Parasitol. 2008;102:659-69 pubmed publisher..hominis infections but no C. parvum. Subgenotyping (at the gp60 locus) indicated that the C. hominis infections included a wide range of subtypes, with isolates from three subtype families (Ia, Ib and Id) being detected. ..
- Arbolay O, Gonzalez J, Gonzalez R, Gálvez Y. Extended endoscopic endonasal approach to the skull base. Minim Invasive Neurosurg. 2009;52:114-8 pubmed publisher..As techniques and technology advance, this approach may become the procedure of choice for most lesions and should be considered an option in the management of the patients with these complex pathologies by skull base surgeons. ..
- Pardo Andreu G, Nuñez Figueredo Y, Tudella V, Cuesta Rubio O, Rodrigues F, Pestana C, et al. The anti-cancer agent guttiferone-A permeabilizes mitochondrial membrane: ensuing energetic and oxidative stress implications. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2011;253:282-9 pubmed publisher..These GA actions are potentially implicated in the well-documented anti-cancer property of GA/structure related compounds. ..
- Garcia G, del Puerto F, Perez A, Sierra B, Aguirre E, Kikuchi M, et al. Association of MICA and MICB alleles with symptomatic dengue infection. Hum Immunol. 2011;72:904-7 pubmed publisher..2, p = 0.0025) rather than the severe cases. Major histocompatibility class I-related gene-related natural killer cells and/or ?? and ?? T-cell activation might regulate the development of symptomatic DF and DHF. ..
- Fraga J, Rojas L, Sariego I, Fernández Calienes A, Núñez F. Species typing of Cuban Trichomonas vaginalis virus by RT-PCR, and association of TVV-2 with high parasite adhesion levels and high pathogenicity in patients. Arch Virol. 2012;157:1789-95 pubmed publisher..According to our results, it seems that only two TVV species are infecting the Cuban isolates. Further studies using higher number of strains should be conducted in order to corroborate these results...
- Martínez Sánchez R, Obregón Fuentes A, Pérez Sierra A, Baly Gil A, Diaz Gonzalez M, Baró Suárez M, et al. [The reactogenicity and immunogenicity of the first Cuban vaccine against human leptospirosis]. Rev Cubana Med Trop. 1998;50:159-66 pubmed..The final results allowed to conclude that this vaccine is safe for human adults at the ages under study, and give the possibility to continue other studies in more advanced stages to complete the requirements for obtaining its license...
- Martinez D, Campos A, Pazos F, Alvarez C, Lanio M, Casallanovo F, et al. Properties of St I and St II, two isotoxins isolated from Stichodactyla helianthus: a comparison. Toxicon. 2001;39:1547-60 pubmed..This electrostatic effect, together with a slightly more relaxed structure in St II, could explain the higher pore forming capacity of St II in the red blood cell membrane. ..
- Rodríguez I, Alvarez E, Fernandez C, Miranda A. Comparison of a recombinant-antigen enzyme immunoassay with Treponema pallidum hemagglutination test for serological confirmation of syphilis. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2002;97:347-9 pubmed..The EIA can be used as alternative method for the serological confirmation of syphilis. ..
- Escobedo A, Canete R, Gonzalez M, Pareja A, Cimerman S, Almirall P. A randomized trial comparing mebendazole and secnidazole for the treatment of giardiasis. Ann Trop Med Parasitol. 2003;97:499-504 pubmed..Mebendazole may be preferable to secnidazole in the treatment of giardiasis cases who have an history of intolerance to 5-nitromidazoles, and where infections with Giardia and soil-transmitted helminths frequently co-occur...