Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Brazil
Publications1136 found, 100 shown here
- Pedrosa R, Salles J, Magnanini M, Bezerra D, Bloch K. Prognostic value of exercise-induced ventricular arrhythmia in Chagas' heart disease. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2011;34:1492-7 pubmed publisher..05). In clinically stable chagasic subjects with cardiomegaly, EIVA is a clinically significant marker of total cardiovascular mortality and may be a useful risk stratification tool in this population. ..
- Olivier C, Lima R, Pinto D, Santos R, Silva G, Lorena S, et al. In search of a tolerance-induction strategy for cow's milk allergies: significant reduction of beta-lactoglobulin allergenicity via transglutaminase/cysteine polymerization. Clinics (Sao Paulo). 2012;67:1171-9 pubmed
- Pereira da Fonseca T, PessÃ´a R, Felix A, Sanabani S. Diversity of Bacterial Communities on Four Frequently Used Surfaces in a Large Brazilian Teaching Hospital. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2016;13:152 pubmed publisher..Strict standards of infection control in hospitals and increased public education about hand hygiene are recommended to decrease the risk of transmission in hospitals among patients. ..
- Campregher P, Petroni R, Muto N, Sitnik R, de Carvalho F, Bacal N, et al. A Novel Assay for the Identification of NOTCH1 PEST Domain Mutations in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. Biomed Res Int. 2016;2016:4247908 pubmed publisher..7% of the patients with trisomy 12. Conclusions. We have developed a fast and robust assay combining allele-specific PCR and fragment analysis able to detect NOTCH1 PEST domain insertions and deletions. ..
- Bearson B, Bearson S, Brunelle B, Bayles D, Lee I, Kich J. Salmonella DIVA vaccine reduces disease, colonization and shedding due to virulent S. Typhimurium infection in swine. J Med Microbiol. 2017;66:651-661 pubmed publisher..Evaluation of the S. Typhimurium DIVA vaccine indicates that vaccination will provide both swine health and food safety benefits. ..
- Lima C, Pinto R, Góes H, Salles S, Vilar E, Lima C. Sweet's syndrome associated with Crohn's disease. An Bras Dermatol. 2017;92:263-265 pubmed publisher..We report the case of a patient with Crohn's disease who developed the classical features of Sweet's syndrome. ..
- Amstalden E, Carvalho R, Pacheco E, Oliveira Filho A, Stragea Neto L, Rosenberg A. Chondromatous hamartoma of the chest wall: description of 3 new cases and literature review. Int J Surg Pathol. 2006;14:119-26 pubmed..We present 3 new cases, which demonstrated interesting findings, including multicentricity, involvement of the sternum, and local recurrence, and we discuss these findings in the context of a literature review...
- Barbosa P, Stabler S, Trentin R, Carvalho F, Luchessi A, Hirata R, et al. Evaluation of nutritional and genetic determinants of total homocysteine, methylmalonic acid and S-adenosylmethionine/S-adenosylhomocysteine values in Brazilian childbearing-age women. Clin Chim Acta. 2008;388:139-47 pubmed..4%, 22.5% and 2.0% of individuals studied. There was a high frequency of Cbl and iron deficiency in this group of childbearing-age women. Serum folate and Cbl were the determinants of serum tHcy and MMA concentration, respectively. ..
- Petrelluzzi K, Garcia M, Petta C, Grassi Kassisse D, Spadari Bratfisch R. Salivary cortisol concentrations, stress and quality of life in women with endometriosis and chronic pelvic pain. Stress. 2008;11:390-7 pubmed publisher..Whether the hypocortisolism was an adaptive response to the aversive symptoms of the disorder or a feature related to the etiology of endometriosis remains to be elucidated...
- Vulcani Freitas T, Saba Silva N, Cappellano A, Cavalheiro S, Toledo S. PRAME gene expression profile in medulloblastoma. Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2011;69:9-12 pubmed..But no statistical association was found between clinical features and PRAME overexpression. Despite that PRAME gene could be a strong candidate for immunotherapy since it is highly expressed in medulloblastomas. ..
- Adler U. No fear of ghosts in Lycopodium: a contribution to the discussion on repertory reliability. Homeopathy. 2011;100:293-9 pubmed publisher..In spite of its technical limitations, RÃ¼ckert's repertory, which was strongly recommended by Hahnemann, can be considered as a template for new repertories based on primary sources. ..
- Pereira E, Ishikawa E, Fontes C. Adherence to Plasmodium vivax malaria treatment in the Brazilian Amazon Region. Malar J. 2011;10:355 pubmed publisher..vivax infections currently observed in the studied area. Simple practices can be introduced in the healthcare services in order to improve compliance with the treatment prescribed. ..
- Sitta D, Guilherme M, Garcia F, Cellet T, Nakamura C, Muniz E, et al. Covalent albumin microparticles as an adjuvant for production of mucosal vaccines against hepatitis B. Biomacromolecules. 2013;14:3231-7 pubmed publisher..7 ± 0.2%. For the reference sample, which was incubated without HBsAg, the quantity of protein was below the limit of detection. ..
- Oliveira M, Zanussi G, Sprovieri B, Lobo D, Mastrocolla L, Umeda I, et al. Alternatives to Aerobic Exercise Prescription in Patients with Chronic Heart Failure. Arq Bras Cardiol. 2016;106:97-104 pubmed publisher..81; p < 0.0001), and between HRP and HRST (r = 0.89; p < 0.0001). These findings suggest that, in the absence of CPET, exercise prescription can be performed by use of 6MWT and ST, based on HR6MWT and HRST. ..
- Matos Garcia B, Rocco I, Maiorano L, Peixoto T, Moreira R, Carvalho A, et al. A Home-Based Walking Program Improves Respiratory Endurance in Patients With Acute Myocardial Infarction: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Can J Cardiol. 2017;33:785-791 pubmed publisher..Low-risk patients recently experiencing MI demonstrate impaired MIP and respiratory endurance compared with healthy participants. A home-based walking program improved respiratory endurance and functional capacity. ..
- Pimentel M, Alves S, Novis S, Brandão R, Belo Neto E. [Intracranial tuberculomas developing during treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis: case report]. Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2000;58:572-7 pubmed..The literature is revised and the diagnosis, treatment and possible immunological mechanisms are discussed. ..
- Consolim Colombo F, Filho J, Lopes H, Sobrinho C, Otto M, Riccio G, et al. Decreased cardiopulmonary baroreflex sensitivity in Chagas' heart disease. Hypertension. 2000;36:1035-9 pubmed..Overall control of circulation appears to be compromised because patients did not maintain blood pressure under high levels of lower-body negative pressure. ..
- Franco E, Gonzaga Lopes L, Lia Mondelli R, da Silva e Souza M, Pereira Lauris J. Effect of the cavity configuration factor on the marginal microleakage of esthetic restorative materials. Am J Dent. 2003;16:211-4 pubmed..The averages of the microleakage scores observed in the conventional and "saucer"-shaped cavities were respectively: G1: 0.66/0.46; G2: 0.92/0.69; G3: 1.8/1.86; G4: 3.54/2.3. ..
- Sarian L, Derchain S, Yoshida A, Vassallo J, Pignataro F, de Angelo Andrade L. Expression of cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) and Ki67 as related to disease severity and HPV detection in squamous lesions of the cervix. Gynecol Oncol. 2006;102:537-41 pubmed..Ki67 expression, however, was higher in the CIN3 group (P = 0.001) as compared to the specimens rendered as normal/cervicitis. COX-2 protein expression did not correlate with disease severity or Ki67 expression. ..
- Azevedo R, Nunes M, Chiang J, Bensabath G, Vasconcelos H, Pinto A, et al. Reemergence of Oropouche fever, northern Brazil. Emerg Infect Dis. 2007;13:912-5 pubmed..Nucleotide sequencing of 2 OROV isolates from each location indicated genotypes I (Parauapebas) and II (Porto de Moz) in Brazil...
- Mello M, Russo P, Russo J, Vidal B. Entropy of Feulgen-stained 17-beta-estradiol-transformed human breast epithelial cells as assessed by restriction enzymes and image analysis. Oncol Rep. 2009;21:1483-7 pubmed..Thus, we assume that a variable epigenetic modulation affecting the higher-order packing states of chromatin in the estrogen-transformed MCF-10F cell model could be evident with the chromatin entropy study by image analysis. ..
- Monici L, Meirelles Santos J, Soares E, Mesquita M, Zeitune J, Montes C, et al. Microwave coagulation versus sclerotherapy after band ligation to prevent recurrence of high risk of bleeding esophageal varices in Child-Pugh's A and B patients. J Gastroenterol. 2010;45:204-10 pubmed publisher..The post-MC recurrence rate may be comparable to that observed following the combined treatment of EBL and EIS. The presence of gastric varices increases the risk of esophageal variceal recurrence. ..
- Reis R, Hino A, Florindo A, Añez C, Domingues M. Association between physical activity in parks and perceived environment: a study with adolescents. J Phys Act Health. 2009;6:503-9 pubmed..7) were associated with PAP after confounding control. The results showed that specific attributes in parks may be considered and offered to increase the likelihood of physical activity practice among adolescents in such locations. ..
- Binato M, Fagundes R, Gurski R, Meurer L, Edelweiss M. Immunohistochemical overexpression of the p53 protein and Ki-67 (MIB-1) antigen in patients with GERD and chronic esophagitis. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2010;18:236-43 pubmed publisher..001). p53 overexpression and the Ki-67 (MIB-1) index were correlated with histologic findings of inflammation in the esophageal mucosa, particularly in the moderate and severe forms of chronic esophagitis. ..
- Forlenza O, Diniz B, Talib L, Radanovic M, Yassuda M, Ojopi E, et al. Clinical and biological predictors of Alzheimer's disease in patients with amnestic mild cognitive impairment. Braz J Psychiatry. 2010;32:216-22 pubmed..The measurement of cerebrospinal fluid total-TAU, phospho-TAU and Aβ₄₂ may help identify patients with mild cognitive impairment at higher risk for developing Alzheimer's disease. ..
- Braz R, Carvalho G. Relationship between quadriceps angle (Q) and plantar pressure distribution in football players. Rev Bras Fisioter. 2010;14:296-302 pubmed..The athletes showed reduced Q-angle values and higher mean peak pressure values for the right and left aspects of the forefoot, suggesting a varus malalignment and a supine distribution of plantar bases. ..
- Avila L. Groddeckian interventions in medical settings. Am J Psychoanal. 2011;71:278-89 pubmed publisher..In both histories, it is possible to see how disease and subjectivity intertwine in a complex unity of mind and body. ..
- Silva J, Arias Carrión O, Paes F, Velasques B, Teixeira S, Basile L, et al. Bromazepam impairs motor response: an ERSP study. CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets. 2011;10:945-50 pubmed..We consider this report an invitation to conduct more studies in order to associate electro-cortical activity and psychometric tests. ..
- Silva E, Masui D, Furriel R, McNamara J, Barrabin H, Scofano H, et al. Identification of a crab gill FXYD2 protein and regulation of crab microsomal Na,K-ATPase activity by mammalian FXYD2 peptide. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1818:2588-97 pubmed publisher..These findings confirm the presence of an FXYD2 peptide in the crab gill Na,K-ATPase and demonstrate that this peptide plays an important role in regulating enzyme activity. ..
- Piovesan C, Guedes R, Casagrande L, Ardenghi T. Socioeconomic and clinical factors associated with traumatic dental injuries in Brazilian preschool children. Braz Oral Res. 2012;26:464-70 pubmed..The data indicated a high prevalence of TDI. Only overjet was a strong predictor for TDI, whereas socioeconomic factors were not associated with TDI in this age group. ..
- Rufatto L, Finimundy T, Roesch Ely M, Moura S. Mikania laevigata: chemical characterization and selective cytotoxic activity of extracts on tumor cell lines. Phytomedicine. 2013;20:883-9 pubmed publisher..This can be explained by variances and increase of phenolic compounds in the ethanol fraction and an association of molecules with coumarin found in the hexane fraction. ..
- Facuri C, Fernandes A, Oliveira K, Andrade T, Azevedo R. [Sexual violence: a descriptive study of rape victims and care in a university referral center in São Paulo State, Brazil]. Cad Saude Publica. 2013;29:889-98 pubmed..Better knowledge of the characteristics of this group and the event itself can help improve the structure and functioning of models to assist rape victims. ..
- Amorim R, de Andrade A, GattÃ¡s G, Paiva W, Menezes M, Teixeira M, et al. Improved hemodynamic parameters in middle cerebral artery infarction after decompressive craniectomy. Stroke. 2014;45:1375-80 pubmed publisher..However, some patients did not seem to experience any additional hemodynamic benefit, suggesting that perfusion CT may play a role as a prognostic tool in patients undergoing DC after ischemic stroke. ..
- Barbosa F, Barbosa T, da Cunha R, Rodrigues A, Ramos F, de Sousa Rodrigues C. Anatomical basis for sciatic nerve block at the knee level. Braz J Anesthesiol. 2015;65:177-9 pubmed publisher..36% near the apex, and 4.78% in the gluteal region. The sciatic nerve bifurcation to its branches occurs at various levels, and the chance to succeed when the needle is placed between 5 and 7 cm above the popliteal is 95.22%. ..
- do Amaral R, de Sousa Bomfim A, de Abreu Neto M, PicanÃ§o Castro V, de Sousa Russo E, Covas D, et al. Approaches for recombinant human factor IX production in serum-free suspension cultures. Biotechnol Lett. 2016;38:385-94 pubmed publisher..This approach is time saving and may better ensure the quality of the produced protein. ..
- D Elia M, Brandão M, de Andrade Ramos B, da Silva M, Miot L, dos Santos S, et al. African ancestry is associated with facial melasma in women: a cross-sectional study. BMC Med Genet. 2017;18:17 pubmed publisher..15; 95% CI 1.13 to 33.37) were associated with melasma, independently of other known risk factors. Facial melasma was independently associated with African ancestry in a highly admixed population. ..
- Souza G, Kersting N, Gonçalves T, Pacheco D, Saraiva Pereira M, Camey S, et al. Cancer in Machado-Joseph disease patients-low frequency as a cause of death. Cancer Genet. 2017;212-213:19-23 pubmed publisher..2%) controls, with an absolute reduction risk of 17.3% (OR 0.27, 95%CI 0.13 to 0.58, p?=?0.01). A significant reduction of cancer as cause of death was observed in SCA3/MJD, suggesting a common effect to all polyglutamine diseases. ..
- Carod Artal F. Stroke: a neglected complication of American trypanosomiasis (Chagas' disease). Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2007;101:1075-80 pubmed..Chagasic cardiomyopathy is a neglected, frequently unrecognized, source of cardioembolic stroke in South America. Educational and prevention programs should be performed in order to prevent this complication of the chronic form of CD...
- Nina V, Manzano N, Mendes V, Salgado Filho N. Giant pericardial cyst: case report. Rev Bras Cir Cardiovasc. 2007;22:349-51 pubmed..In this report the authors describe a case of a giant pericardial cyst with symptoms of mediastinal compression for which the surgical excision guaranteed a 12-month follow-up of complete remission of the symptomatology. ..
- Perrone F, da Silva Filho A, Adôrno I, Anabuki N, Leal F, Colombo T, et al. Effects of preoperative feeding with a whey protein plus carbohydrate drink on the acute phase response and insulin resistance. A randomized trial. Nutr J. 2011;10:66 pubmed publisher..3%). Shortening the pre-operative fasting using CHO and whey protein is safe and reduces insulin resistance and postoperative acute phase response in elective moderate operations. ClinicalTrial.gov NCT01354249. ..
- de Almeida J, Liberatti L, Barros F, Kallaur A, Lozovoy M, Scavuzzi B, et al. Profile of oxidative stress markers is dependent on vitamin D levels in patients with chronic hepatitis C. Nutrition. 2016;32:362-7 pubmed publisher..The profile of oxidative stress markers in these patients depends on vitamin D levels, which probably change intracellular signalling pathways and increase inflammation and liver injury. ..
- Santos C, Sabbaga J, Brentani R. Differences in human laminin B2 sequences. DNA Seq. 1991;1:275-7 pubmed..Other differences in the 3'-untranslated region were also found. ..
- Pessoa L, da Silva I, Baptista H, Pesquero J, Paiva A, Bader M, et al. Molecular structure and alternative splicing of the human carboxypeptidase M gene. Biol Chem. 2002;383:263-9 pubmed..RNA extracted from tumor tissues contained more CPM mRNA than control tissue, suggesting an upregulation of CPM expression in tumors and raising the question of the role of this enzyme in cancer. ..
- Monte T, Rieder C, Tort A, Rockenback I, Pereira M, Silveira I, et al. Use of fluoxetine for treatment of Machado-Joseph disease: an open-label study. Acta Neurol Scand. 2003;107:207-10 pubmed..There was no significant improvement in motor abilities after 6 weeks of treatment. These results suggest that fluoxetine has no benefit in motor function of patients with MJD/SCA3. ..
- Dulley F, Vigorito A, Aranha F, Sturaro D, Ruiz M, Saboya R, et al. Addition of low-dose busulfan to cyclophosphamide in aplastic anemia patients prior to allogeneic bone marrow transplantation to reduce rejection. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2004;33:9-13 pubmed..Low-dose busulfan is feasible and may be helpful in patients exposed to <50 transfusions. However, rejection remains a significant problem, mainly in heavily transfused patients. ..
- Cardoso M, Nascimento Carvalho C, Ferrero F, Berezin E, Ruvinsky R, Camargos P, et al. Penicillin-resistant pneumococcus and risk of treatment failure in pneumonia. Arch Dis Child. 2008;93:221-5 pubmed..03; 95%CI: 0.49-1.90 for resistant S pneumoniae). Intravenous penicillin/ampicillin remains the drug of choice for treating penicillin-resistant pneumococcal pneumonia in areas where the MIC does not exceed 2 microg/ml. ..
- Bertipaglia de Santana M, Mandarino M, Cardoso J, Dichi I, Dichi J, Camargo A, et al. Association between soy and green tea (Camellia sinensis) diminishes hypercholesterolemia and increases total plasma antioxidant potential in dyslipidemic subjects. Nutrition. 2008;24:562-8 pubmed publisher..Soy and green tea, alone or in combination, increased the total antioxidant potential of hypercholesterolemic patients, whereas only the combination decreased total cholesterol levels. ..
- da Silva C, Ramos M, Carrara C, Dalben G. Oral characteristics of newborns. J Dent Child (Chic). 2008;75:4-6 pubmed..The purpose of this paper was to present the normal aspects and common variations observed in the oral cavity of newborns to allow proper dental care and counseling to parents. ..
- Pereira J, Alves P, Ferreira de Araújo C, Alves Pereira K, Lopes Costa A. Epidermoid cyst in tongue's ventral face. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol. 2008;74:476 pubmed
- Berger W, Mendlowicz M, Marques Portella C, Kinrys G, Fontenelle L, Marmar C, et al. Pharmacologic alternatives to antidepressants in posttraumatic stress disorder: a systematic review. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2009;33:169-80 pubmed publisher..Further controlled clinical trials and meta-analysis are needed to guide clinicians in their search of effective pharmacological alternatives to antidepressants in PTSD. ..
- Dos Reis S, Pontes J, Villanova F, Borra P, Antunes A, Dall Oglio M, et al. Genetic polymorphisms of matrix metalloproteinases: susceptibility and prognostic implications for prostate cancer. J Urol. 2009;181:2320-5 pubmed publisher..In contrast, MMP9 polymorphism was associated with a lower Gleason score and MMP2 polymorphism was associated with nonorgan confined disease. ..
- Martinez D, Lenz M. Circadian rhythm sleep disorders. Indian J Med Res. 2010;131:141-9 pubmed..In this article, the circadian rhythm syndromes included in the new International Classification of Sleep Disorders are reviewed as well as the most recent guidelines for diagnosis and treatment. ..
- Hetzl A, Favaro W, Billis A, Ferreira U, Cagnon V. Steroid hormone receptors, matrix metalloproteinases, insulin-like growth factor, and dystroglycans interactions in prostatic diseases in the elderly men. Microsc Res Tech. 2012;75:1197-205 pubmed publisher..Also, the distinct SHRs reactivities in the lesions in both prostatic compartments indicated different paracrine signals and pointed out the importance of estrogenic pathways in the activation of these disorders. ..
- Bigarella C, Ferro K, Barcellos K, Martins de Souza D, Traina F, Novello J, et al. Post-translational modification of the RhoGTPase activating protein 21, ARHGAP21, by SUMO2/3. FEBS Lett. 2012;586:3522-8 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, our results suggest that ARHGAP21 SUMOylation may be related to cell proliferation. Therefore, SUMOylation of ARHGAP21 may represent a way of guiding its function. ..
- Greve J, CuÄŸ M, DÃ¼lgeroÄŸlu D, Brech G, Alonso A. Relationship between anthropometric factors, gender, and balance under unstable conditions in young adults. Biomed Res Int. 2013;2013:850424 pubmed publisher..Increased body mass requires greater movements to maintain postural balance. Height and BMI presented moderate correlations with balance. Women showed less movement than men on the Biodex Balance System. ..
- Satow M, Yamashiro Kanashiro E, Rocha M, Oyafuso L, Soler R, Cotrim P, et al. Applicability of kDNA-PCR for routine diagnosis of American tegumentary leishmaniasis in a tertiary reference hospital. Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo. 2013;55:393-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, we strongly recommend the inclusion of kDNA-PCR amplification as an alternative diagnostic method for ATL, suggesting a new algorithm routine to be followed to help the diagnosis and treatment of ATL in IIER. ..
- Pinheiro C, dos Santos M, Chaves T. Flexion-relaxation ratio in computer workers with and without chronic neck pain. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2016;26:8-17 pubmed publisher..On the other hand, the FRR values of the semispinalis capitis demonstrated a good discriminative ability to detect neck pain, and such results suggested that each FR-ratio could have a different application. ..
- Medeiros P, da Silva W, de Oliveira Gimenez B, Vallezi K, Moraes M, de Souza V, et al. The GATA3 gene is involved in leprosy susceptibility in Brazilian patients. Infect Genet Evol. 2016;39:194-200 pubmed publisher..So, we confirmed that the rs10905284 is a locus associated to leprosy and influences the levels of this transcription factor in the Brazilian population. ..
- Camargo G, Rothstein T, Junqueira F, Fernandes E, Greiser A, Strecker R, et al. Comparison of myocardial T1 and T2 values in 3 T with T2* in 1.5 T in patients with iron overload and controls. Int J Hematol. 2016;103:530-6 pubmed publisher..Native myocardial T1 and T2 times at 3 T correlate closely with T2* times at 1.5 T and may be useful for myocardial iron overload quantification. ..
- Wolffsohn J, Calossi A, Cho P, Gifford K, Jones L, Li M, et al. Global trends in myopia management attitudes and strategies in clinical practice. Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2016;39:106-16 pubmed publisher..In view of the increasing prevalence of myopia and existing evidence for interventions to slow myopia progression, clear guidelines for myopia management need to be established. ..
- Roman S, Mangir N, Bissoli J, Chapple C, MacNeil S. Biodegradable scaffolds designed to mimic fascia-like properties for the treatment of pelvic organ prolapse and stress urinary incontinence. J Biomater Appl. 2016;30:1578-88 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the electrospinning technique can be easily modified to develop biodegradable scaffolds with a spectrum of mechanical properties allowing extracellular matrix organisation towards human-like fascia. ..
- AbrÃ£o A, Falcão D, de Amorim R, Bezerra A, Pombeiro G, GuimarÃ£es L, et al. Salivary proteomics: A new adjuvant approach to the early diagnosis of familial juvenile systemic lupus erythematosus. Med Hypotheses. 2016;89:97-100 pubmed publisher..As such, it is important to evaluate whether the analysis of the salivary proteome of children whose mothers have SLE may help identify biomarkers for the early detection and monitoring of the condition. ..
- Costa C, López Ureña D, de Oliveira Assis T, Ribeiro R, Silva R, Rupnik M, et al. A MLST Clade 2 Clostridium difficile strain with a variant TcdB induces severe inflammatory and oxidative response associated with mucosal disruption. Anaerobe. 2016;40:76-84 pubmed publisher..difficile Clade 2 strains. Finally, this work contributes to the description of differences in virulence among various C. difficile strains. ..
- Borges P, Carvalho J, Letaif O, Marcon R, Cristante A. The influence of body image on surgical decisions in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis patients. Clinics (Sao Paulo). 2017;72:130-133 pubmed publisher..The magnitude of body deformities in patients with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis does not interfere with the decision to undertake surgical treatment. ..
- Faria N, Quick J, Claro I, Theze J, de Jesus J, Giovanetti M, et al. Establishment and cryptic transmission of Zika virus in Brazil and the Americas. Nature. 2017;546:406-410 pubmed publisher..The role of northeast Brazil in the establishment of ZIKV in the Americas is further supported by geographic analysis of ZIKV transmission potential and by estimates of the basic reproduction number of the virus...
- Ramos S, Rossi M. Microcirculation and Chagas' disease: hypothesis and recent results. Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo. 1999;41:123-9 pubmed..The salient features of coronary microcirculation and Chagas' disease are discussed. ..
- Filho D, Raveli D, Raveli R, de Castro Monteiro Loffredo L, Gandin L. A comparison of nasopharyngeal endoscopy and lateral cephalometric radiography in the diagnosis of nasopharyngeal airway obstruction. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2001;120:348-52 pubmed..Radiographic diagnoses of hypertrophy of the middle and lower turbinates exhibited high sensitivity and low specificity when compared with diagnoses by nasopharyngeal endoscopy. ..
- Bahamondes L, Ribeiro Huguet P, de Andrade K, Leon Martins O, Petta C. Levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system (Mirena) as a therapy for endometrial hyperplasia and carcinoma. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2003;82:580-2 pubmed
- Belintani Piatto V, Maria Goloni Bertollo E, Lúcia Sartorato E, Victor Maniglia J. Prevalence of the GJB2 mutations and the del(GJB6-D13S1830) mutation in Brazilian patients with deafness. Hear Res. 2004;196:87-93 pubmed..These findings strengthen the importance of genetic diagnosis, providing early treatment, and genetic counseling of deaf patients. ..
- Mattos J, Ramina R, Borges W, Ghizoni E, Fernandes Y, Paschoal J, et al. Intradural jugular foramen tumors. Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2004;62:997-1003 pubmed..For this reason, an adequate approach for curative resection of most lesions and an efficient skull base reconstruction decreasing postoperative morbidity are essential. ..
- Souza E, Casella A, Nakashima Y, Monteiro M. Clinical features and outcomes of patients with diffuse unilateral subacute neuroretinitis treated with oral albendazole. Am J Ophthalmol. 2005;140:437-445 pubmed..No adverse drug side effects were observed in any of our cases during follow-up. High-dose oral albendazole seems to be safe and beneficial for patients with DUSN. ..
- Juliano P, Blotta M, Altemani A. ICAM-1 is overexpressed by villous trophoblasts in placentitis. Placenta. 2006;27:750-7 pubmed..The influx of immune cells into the villi appears to be mediated by ICAM-1 but the location of the antigen within villous stroma is certainly a crucial factor for its occurrence. ..
- S Reis E, Falcão D, Isaac L. Clinical aspects and molecular basis of primary deficiencies of complement component C3 and its regulatory proteins factor I and factor H. Scand J Immunol. 2006;63:155-68 pubmed..We also discuss the use of animal models to study these deficiencies. ..
- Abdo E, Sette Dias A, Comunian C, Dutra C, Aguiar E. Oral myiasis: a case report. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2006;11:E130-1 pubmed..The prevention of human myiasis is by education, but unfortunately in the developing countries some people live in low social condition, predisposing the occurrence of the infestation...
- Chavasco J, Paula C, Hirata M, Aleva N, Melo C, Gambale W, et al. Molecular identification of Candida dubliniensis isolated from oral lesions of HIV-positive and HIV-negative patients in São Paulo, Brazil. Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo. 2006;48:21-6 pubmed..dubliniensis (5.4%) were found through the use of PCR. This study underscores the presence of C. dubliniensis, whose geographical and epidemiological distribution should be more fully investigated. ..
- Cardoso T, Coan A, Kobayashi E, Guerreiro C, Li L, Cendes F. Hippocampal abnormalities and seizure recurrence after antiepileptic drug withdrawal. Neurology. 2006;67:134-6 pubmed..Seizure recurrence after AED withdrawal was more frequent among patients with hippocampal atrophy and abnormal hippocampal T2 signal. ..
- Duquia R, Osinaga P, Demarco F, de V Habekost L, Conceição E. Cervical microleakage in MOD restorations: in vitro comparison of indirect and direct composite. Oper Dent. 2006;31:682-7 pubmed..004). Within the limitations of this experimental design, overall leakage was similar between both substrates, while the indirect systems provided a better sealing than direct composites only in enamel. ..
- Pinto J, da Silva Dalben G, Pegoraro Krook M. Speech intelligibility of patients with cleft lip and palate after placement of speech prosthesis. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2007;44:635-41 pubmed publisher..Speech intelligibility may be improved by rehabilitation of patients with cleft palate using a speech prosthesis. Speech therapy is needed to eliminate any compensatory articulation productions developed prior to prosthetic management. ..
- Palmero E, Schuler Faccini L, Caleffi M, Achatz M, Olivier M, Martel Planche G, et al. Detection of R337H, a germline TP53 mutation predisposing to multiple cancers, in asymptomatic women participating in a breast cancer screening program in Southern Brazil. Cancer Lett. 2008;261:21-5 pubmed publisher
- Vianna R, de Oliveira S, Camacho L, Knowles W, Brown D, Pereira A, et al. Role of human herpesvirus 6 infection in young Brazilian children with rash illnesses. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2008;27:533-7 pubmed publisher..Our study confirms the importance of HHV-6 infection in young children and highlights the difficulties of diagnosing a rash illness on clinical grounds alone. ..
- de Souza Zaroni W, Lopes E, Ciccone Nogueira J, Silva R. Clinical comparison between the bleaching efficacy of 37% peroxide carbamide gel mixed with sodium perborate with established intracoronal bleaching agent. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2009;107:e43-7 pubmed publisher..The sodium perborate/37% carbamide peroxide association for intracoronal bleaching has proven to be as effective as sodium perborate/distilled water. ..
- Greve J, Grecco M, Santos Silva P. Comparison of radial shockwaves and conventional physiotherapy for treating plantar fasciitis. Clinics (Sao Paulo). 2009;64:97-103 pubmed..To compare radial shockwave treatment and conventional physiotherapy for plantar fasciitis...
- Nomura R, Cabar F, Costa V, Miyadahira S, Zugaib M. Cardiac troponin T as a biochemical marker of cardiac dysfunction and ductus venosus Doppler velocimetry. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2009;147:33-6 pubmed publisher..AREDV and abnormal DV flow represent severe cardiac compromise, with increased systemic venous pressure, and a rise in right ventricular afterload, demonstrated by myocardial damage and elevated fetal cTnT. ..
- D Azevedo P, Comin G, Cantarelli V. Characterization of a new coagulase-negative Staphylococcus species (Staphylococcus pettenkoferi) isolated from blood cultures from a hospitalized patient in Porto Alegre, Brazil. Rev Soc Bras Med Trop. 2010;43:331-2 pubmed..We would like to emphasize that this new staphylococcus species is phenotypically similar to other CoNS, especially S. auricularis. This could potentially lead to misidentification of these uncommon species. ..
- Domiciano D, de Carvalho J, Macedo A, Laurindo I. Central diabetes insipidus induced by tuberculosis in a rheumatoid arthritis patient. Acta Reumatol Port. 2010;35:232-5 pubmed..TB should be considered in the differential diagnosis of CDI, especially in immunosupressed patients and in countries where this infection is a serious public health problem. ..
- Faller S, Webster J, Leukefeld C, Bumaguin D, Duarte P, De Boni R, et al. Psychiatric disorders among individuals who drive after the recent use of alcohol and drugs. Braz J Psychiatry. 2012;34:314-20 pubmed..The results of this study can aid in the design of interventions, treatment programs and focused psychiatric evaluations, both in Brazil and abroad. ..
- Silva F, Vidotti V, Cremasco F, Dias M, Gomi E, Costa V. Sensitivity and specificity of machine learning classifiers for glaucoma diagnosis using Spectral Domain OCT and standard automated perimetry. Arq Bras Oftalmol. 2013;76:170-4 pubmed..19). Machine learning classifiers trained on OCT and SAP data can successfully discriminate between healthy and glaucomatous eyes. The combination of OCT and SAP measurements improved the diagnostic accuracy compared with OCT data alone. ..
- Pallis F, Conran N, Fertrin K, Olalla Saad S, Costa F, Franco Penteado C. Hydroxycarbamide reduces eosinophil adhesion and degranulation in sickle cell anaemia patients. Br J Haematol. 2014;164:286-95 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that eosinophils exist in an activated state in SCA and indicate that these cells play a role in the vaso-occlusive process. The exact mechanism by which HC may alter SCA eosinophil properties is not clear. ..
- Panissa V, Julio U, Pinto E Silva C, Andreato L, Schwartz J, Franchini E. Influence of the aerobic fitness on time spent at high percentage of maximal oxygen uptake during a high-intensity intermittent running. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2014;54:708-14 pubmed..To conclude, these results demonstrated that individuals with better aerobic fitness spent less time above 90% of the V.O2max and that this response can be due to better capacity to recover during the pause. ..