Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Austria
Publications783 found, 100 shown here
- Daxböck F, Zedtwitz Liebenstein K, Burgmann H, Graninger W. Severe hemolytic anemia and excessive leukocytosis masking mycoplasma pneumonia. Ann Hematol. 2001;80:180-2 pubmed..The patient was treated with roxithromycin and showed a favorable recovery within ten days after admission. This case demonstrates that, even in patients with clinically mild pneumonia, M. pneumoniae may be the cause of severe anemia. ..
- Stoiber H, Kacani L, Speth C, Wurzner R, Dierich M. The supportive role of complement in HIV pathogenesis. Immunol Rev. 2001;180:168-76 pubmed..A complete understanding of these complex interactions of HIV with the complement system opens new perspectives for development of alternative therapeutic strategies. ..
- Findl O, Buehl W, Siegl H, Pinz A. Removal of reflections in the photographic assessment of PCO by fusion of digital retroillumination images. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2003;44:275-80 pubmed..Therefore, a software algorithm was developed that removes these artifacts by fusion of two or more digital images from the same eye, photographed in slightly different directions of gaze...
- Hofmann T, Lackner A, Muellner K, Luxenberger W, Wolf G. Endolacrimal KTP laser-assisted dacryocystorhinostomy. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2003;129:329-32 pubmed..The development of miniendoscopes enables endoscopy of the lacrimal drainage system via the lacrimal puncta to visualize the exact site of a stenosis...
- Endler G, Exner M, Raith M, Marculescu R, Mannhalter C, Endler L, et al. The E-selectin S128R polymorphism is not a risk factor for coronary artery disease in patients with diabetes mellitus type 2. Thromb Res. 2003;112:47-50 pubmed..Thus, screening for this polymorphism is not indicated for risk assessment of CAD in patients with diabetes mellitus. ..
- Brandacher G, Perathoner A, Ladurner R, Schneeberger S, Obrist P, Winkler C, et al. Prognostic value of indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase expression in colorectal cancer: effect on tumor-infiltrating T cells. Clin Cancer Res. 2006;12:1144-51 pubmed..Thus, IDO significantly contributes to disease progression and overall survival in patients with colorectal cancer. ..
- Auer Grumbach M, Mauko B, Auer Grumbach P, Pieber T. Molecular genetics of hereditary sensory neuropathies. Neuromolecular Med. 2006;8:147-58 pubmed..Nevertheless, it remains unclear how mutations in the known genes lead to the phenotype of HSN. In this review, we summarize the recent progress of the molecular genetics of the HSN and the implicated genes. ..
- Madersbacher S, Marszalek M, Lackner J, Berger P, Schatzl G. The long-term outcome of medical therapy for BPH. Eur Urol. 2007;51:1522-33 pubmed..5 yr) and the situation in real life with treatment periods up to one or two decades of life. Real-life and registry data will be the only source of this important information in the future. ..
- Kollerits B, Heinrich J, Pichler M, Rantner B, Klein Weigel P, Wölke G, et al. Intermittent claudication in the Erfurt Male Cohort (ERFORT) Study: its determinants and the impact on mortality. A population-based prospective cohort study with 30 years of follow-up. Atherosclerosis. 2008;198:214-22 pubmed..A positive Rose questionnaire is a strong predictor for all-cause mortality over 30 years. The simplicity of their use makes questionnaires highly attractive for identification of high-risk patients in primary health care. ..
- Lackner A, Acham A, Alborno T, Moser M, Engele H, Raggam R, et al. Effect on hearing of ganciclovir therapy for asymptomatic congenital cytomegalovirus infection: four to 10 year follow up. J Laryngol Otol. 2009;123:391-6 pubmed publisher..Further studies including a greater number of children are needed. Cytomegalovirus screening models are mandatory if medical therapy is to be implemented in time. ..
- Pichler J, Much P, Kasper S, Fretz R, Auer B, Kathan J, et al. An outbreak of febrile gastroenteritis associated with jellied pork contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. Wien Klin Wochenschr. 2009;121:149-56 pubmed publisher..monocytogenes; antibiotic therapy should therefore be considered in such cases of documented listerial gastroenteritis. ..
- Ringl H, Schernthaner R, Schueller G, Balassy C, Kienzl D, Botosaneanu A, et al. The skull unfolded: a cranial CT visualization algorithm for fast and easy detection of skull fractures. Radiology. 2010;255:553-62 pubmed publisher..To retrospectively assess the rate of detection of skull fractures at cranial computed tomography (CT) achieved with the use of curved maximum intensity projections (MIPs) compared with that achieved by reading transverse sections only...
- Holzinger A, Matschinger H, Angermeyer M. What to do about depression? Help-seeking and treatment recommendations of the public. Epidemiol Psychiatr Sci. 2011;20:163-9 pubmed..Therefore, further effort to improve the public's mental health literacy seems necessary. ..
- Radner S, Celie P, Fuchs K, Sieghart W, Sixma T, Stornaiuolo M. Transient transfection coupled to baculovirus infection for rapid protein expression screening in insect cells. J Struct Biol. 2012;179:46-55 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results prove that the transfection/infection protocol is a valid and innovative approach for increasing speed and reducing costs of protein expression screening for structural and functional studies. ..
- King J, Mochalski P, Unterkofler K, Teschl G, Klieber M, Stein M, et al. Breath isoprene: muscle dystrophy patients support the concept of a pool of isoprene in the periphery of the human body. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012;423:526-30 pubmed publisher..While it remains unclear whether isoprene can be ascribed a direct physiological mechanism of action, some indications are given as to why isoprene production might have evolved in muscle. ..
- Pleyer L, Germing U, Sperr W, Linkesch W, Burgstaller S, Stauder R, et al. Azacitidine in CMML: matched-pair analyses of daily-life patients reveal modest effects on clinical course and survival. Leuk Res. 2014;38:475-83 pubmed publisher..hydroxyurea first-line (p=0.072, median OS 27.7 vs. 6.2 months). This report reinforces existing evidence that azacitidine is safe and efficacious in both myelodysplastic and myeloproliferative CMML. ..
- Pucciarelli D, Lengger N, TakÃ¡ÄovÃ¡ M, Csaderova L, Bartosova M, Breiteneder H, et al. Hypoxia increases the heterogeneity of melanoma cell populations and affects the response to vemurafenib. Mol Med Rep. 2016;13:3281-8 pubmed publisher..These data confirmed that vemurafenib may be successful in treating the proliferating cells, whereas the nonâ€‘proliferating subpopulation must be addressed by a combination of vemurafenib with other treatment strategies. ..
- Egger S, Huber Spitzy V, Alzner E, Scholda C, Vecsei V. Corneal wound healing after superficial foreign body injury: vitamin A and dexpanthenol versus a calf blood extract. A randomized double-blind study. Ophthalmologica. 1999;213:246-9 pubmed..Results showed the calf blood extract eye gel to be statistically more effective in promoting corneal wound healing, especially in patients with wound areas larger than 6 mm(2). ..
- Baumgartner Parzer S, Pauschenwein S, Waldhausl W, Pölzler K, Nowotny P, Vierhapper H. Increased prevalence of heterozygous 21-OH germline mutations in patients with adrenal incidentalomas. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2002;56:811-6 pubmed
- Lottersberger C, Hoermann R, Mann K, Schwarz S, Berger P. Tumor- and pregnancy-derived isoforms of human chorionic gonadotropin: biological and diagnostic relevance. Horm Res. 2003;59:125-34 pubmed..Moreover, there is no overspecificity of mabs to certain hCG isoforms due to carbohydrate variability that exclude others from diagnostic measurement. ..
- Berger A, Kofler K, Bektic J, Rogatsch H, Steiner H, Bartsch G, et al. Increased growth factor production in a human prostatic stromal cell culture model caused by hypoxia. Prostate. 2003;57:57-65 pubmed..Prostatic stromal cells respond to hypoxia by upregulation of secretion of several growth factors suggesting that hypoxia can trigger prostatic growth. Therefore, hypoxia might be a key factor contributing to the pathogenesis of BPH. ..
- Spahn L, Siligan C, Bachmaier R, Schmid J, Aryee D, Kovar H. Homotypic and heterotypic interactions of EWS, FLI1 and their oncogenic fusion protein. Oncogene. 2003;22:6819-29 pubmed..Therefore, the functional consequences of homo- and hetero-oligomerization of EWS and EWS-FLI1 proteins remain to be elucidated. ..
- Frei K, Ramsebner R, Lucas T, Hamader G, Szuhai K, Weipoltshammer K, et al. GJB2 mutations in hearing impairment: identification of a broad clinical spectrum for improved genetic counseling. Laryngoscope. 2005;115:461-5 pubmed..Specific genetic counseling for GJB2-linked hearing impairment in heterozygotes will depend on future research. ..
- Kraus J, Gerriets T, Leis S, Stolz E, Oschmann P, Heckmann J. Time course of VCAM-1 and ICAM-1 in CSF in patients with basal ganglia haemorrhage. Acta Neurol Scand. 2007;116:49-55 pubmed..We now determined the time course of AM concentration in CSF and serum after basal ganglia haemorrhage (BGH) in order to further uncover pathogenetic mechanisms...
- Bjelic Radisic V, Hartmann G, Abendstein B, Tamussino K, Riss P. The posterior intravaginal slingplasty operation: results of the Austrian registry. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2009;144:88-91 pubmed publisher..Despite the limitations of a registry and the high rate of concomitant procedures, this study provides data on the complications and results of the posterior intravaginal slingplasty operation. ..
- Benedek M, Kaernbach C. A continuous measure of phasic electrodermal activity. J Neurosci Methods. 2010;190:80-91 pubmed publisher..The quality and benefit of the proposed measure is demonstrated in an experiment with short interstimulus intervals as well as by means of a simulation study. The advances compared to previous decomposition methods are discussed. ..
- Polterauer S, Grimm C, Seebacher V, Rahhal J, Tempfer C, Reinthaller A, et al. The inflammation-based Glasgow Prognostic Score predicts survival in patients with cervical cancer. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2010;20:1052-7 pubmed publisher..The GPS was associated with FIGO stage (P < 0.001) and histological grade (P = 0.02). The GPS can be used as an inflammation-based predictor for survival in patients with cervical cancer. ..
- Koestler T, von Haeseler A, Ebersberger I. FACT: functional annotation transfer between proteins with similar feature architectures. BMC Bioinformatics. 2010;11:417 pubmed publisher..The most reliable annotation transfers, however, are achieved when feature architecture similarity and sequence similarity are jointly taken into account. ..
- Kesner A, Kuntner C. A new fast and fully automated software based algorithm for extracting respiratory signal from raw PET data and its comparison to other methods. Med Phys. 2010;37:5550-9 pubmed..The proposed method to extract a respiratory signal can be implemented on existing scanners and, if properly integrated, can be applied without changes to routine clinical procedures. ..
- Reichel C. OMICS-strategies and methods in the fight against doping. Forensic Sci Int. 2011;213:20-34 pubmed publisher..The article reviews previous and recent research projects and their results and discusses future strategies for a more efficient application of OMICS-methods in doping control. ..
- Leeb B, Haindl P, Brezinschek H, Nothnagl T, Rintelen B. RADAI-5 to monitor rheumatoid arthritis. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2014;32:S-55-8 pubmed
- Kaller C, Debelak R, KÃ¶stering L, Egle J, Rahm B, Wild P, et al. Assessing Planning Ability Across the Adult Life Span: Population-Representative and Age-Adjusted Reliability Estimates for the Tower of London (TOL-F). Arch Clin Neuropsychol. 2016;31:148-64 pubmed publisher..7) that are stable across the adult life span while the TOL-F covers a broad range of graded difficulty even in healthy adults, making it suitable for both research and clinical application. ..
- Agis H, Willheim M, Sperr W, Wilfing A, Kromer E, Kabrna E, et al. Monocytes do not make mast cells when cultured in the presence of SCF. Characterization of the circulating mast cell progenitor as a c-kit+, CD34+, Ly-, CD14-, CD17-, colony-forming cell. J Immunol. 1993;151:4221-7 pubmed..This is the first definitive demonstration that mast cells are replenished directly from early hemopoietic progenitors and thus form a unique cell lineage within the hemopoietic system. ..
- Chiba P, Ecker G, Schmid D, Drach J, Tell B, Goldenberg S, et al. Structural requirements for activity of propafenone-type modulators in P-glycoprotein-mediated multidrug resistance. Mol Pharmacol. 1996;49:1122-30 pubmed..Similarly, the relative positioning of the acyl- and propanolamine side chains also influences activity, so the distance between carbonyl group and nitrogen atom seems important. ..
- Oliveira Dos Santos A, Penninger J, Rieker Geley T, Matsumoto G, Mak T, Wick G. Thymic heterotypic cellular complexes in gene-targeted mice with defined blocks in T cell development and adhesion molecule expression. Eur J Immunol. 1998;28:2882-92 pubmed..These results provide genetic evidence on the role of defined stages in T cell development and adhesion molecules on thymocyte/stromal cell interactions in vitro. ..
- Windpassinger C, Petek E, Wagner K, Langmann A, Buiting K, Kroisel P. Molecular characterization of a unique de novo 15q deletion associated with Prader-Willi syndrome and central visual impairment. Clin Genet. 2003;63:297-302 pubmed..These results provide evidence that haploinsufficiency for genes in 15q13-q14, not affected in common PWS deletions, is associated with the additional features found in the patient, including a central visual impairment. ..
- Hudelist G, Singer C, Manavi M, Pischinger K, Kubista E, Czerwenka K. Co-expression of ErbB-family members in human breast cancer: Her-2/neu is the preferred dimerization candidate in nodal-positive tumors. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2003;80:353-61 pubmed..We have further shown that Her-2/neu is the preferred co-expression partner in nodal-positive tumors and thus the most likely dimerization candidate in malignant breast tumors. ..
- Schalich J, Vytvytska O, Zauner W, Fischer M, Buschle M, Aichinger G, et al. Analysis of the human cytomegalovirus pp65-directed T-cell response in healthy HLA-A2-positive individuals. Biol Chem. 2008;389:551-9 pubmed..Clusters of overlapping epitopes (hot-spots) were identified. These and the newly identified T-cell epitopes may be of great value for epitope-based immunotherapeutic approaches, including peptide vaccines. ..
- Sieghart W, Fellner S, Reiberger T, Ulbrich G, Ferlitsch A, Wacheck V, et al. Differential role of circulating endothelial progenitor cells in cirrhotic patients with or without hepatocellular carcinoma. Dig Liver Dis. 2009;41:902-6 pubmed publisher..In contrast, increased endothelial progenitor cells in hepatocellular carcinoma rather reflect tumour specific endothelial progenitor cells mobilisation. ..
- Böckle B, Wilhelm M, Muller H, Götsch C, Sepp N. Oral mucous squamous cell carcinoma-an anticipated consequence of autoimmune polyendocrinopathy-candidiasis-ectodermal dystrophy (APECED). J Am Acad Dermatol. 2010;62:864-8 pubmed publisher..However, the critical pathogenetic pathways implicated in squamous cell carcinoma development in APECED are far from being well understood...
- Litscher G. Modernization of traditional acupuncture using multimodal computer-based high-tech methods-recent results of blue laser and teleacupuncture from the Medical University of Graz. J Acupunct Meridian Stud. 2009;2:202-9 pubmed publisher..In addition, we describe the first teleacupuncture performed between Asia and Europe. ..
- Probst A, Humpeler S, Heinzl H, Blasche G, Ekmekcioglu C. Short-term effect of macronutrient composition and glycemic index of a yoghurt breakfast on satiety and mood in healthy young men. Forsch Komplementmed. 2012;19:247-51 pubmed publisher..The glycemic index does not seem to modify satiety in this short-term setting. The similar mental state between low- and high-calorie breakfasts deserves further investigations. ..
- Dragostinoff N, Werkmeister R, Klaizer J, Gröschl M, Schmetterer L. Time course and topographic distribution of ocular fundus pulsation measured by low-coherence tissue interferometry. J Biomed Opt. 2013;18:121502 pubmed publisher..Data on ocular fundus pulsation obtained with this technique can--among other applications--be used to verify and to improve biomechanical models of the eye. ..
- Soliman A, Alajrawy O, Attabi F, Shaaban M, Linert W. New formamidine ligands and their mixed ligand palladium(II) oxalate complexes: Synthesis, characterization, DFT calculations and in vitro cytotoxicity. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc. 2016;152:358-69 pubmed publisher..011-0.168) against MCF-7, (0.012-0.150) against HCT-116, (0.042-0.094) against PC-3 and (0.006-0.222) against HepG-2 cell lines, which open the field for further application as antitumor compounds. ..
- Saletu B, Grünberger J, Linzmayer L, Anderer P. Brain protection of nicergoline against hypoxia: EEG brain mapping and psychometry. J Neural Transm Park Dis Dement Sect. 1990;2:305-25 pubmed..The difference between placebo and the optimal dosage of nicergoline 30 mg reached the level of statistical significance (p less than 0.01, multiple Wilcoxon). ..
- Hoefler G, Forstner M, McGuinness M, Hulla W, Hiden M, Krisper P, et al. cDNA cloning of the human peroxisomal enoyl-CoA hydratase: 3-hydroxyacyl-CoA dehydrogenase bifunctional enzyme and localization to chromosome 3q26.3-3q28: a free left Alu Arm is inserted in the 3' noncoding region. Genomics. 1994;19:60-7 pubmed..This cDNA will allow in-depth studies of molecular defects in patients with defective peroxisomal bifunctional enzyme. Moreover, it will also provide a means for studying the regulation of peroxisomal beta-oxidation in humans. ..
- Misof K, Landis W, Klaushofer K, Fratzl P. Collagen from the osteogenesis imperfecta mouse model (oim) shows reduced resistance against tensile stress. J Clin Invest. 1997;100:40-5 pubmed
- Kriehuber E, Breiteneder Geleff S, Groeger M, Soleiman A, Schoppmann S, Stingl G, et al. Isolation and characterization of dermal lymphatic and blood endothelial cells reveal stable and functionally specialized cell lineages. J Exp Med. 2001;194:797-808 pubmed..These results demonstrate that LECs and BECs constitute stable and specialized EC lineages equipped with the potential to navigate leukocytes and, perhaps also, tumor cells into and out of the tissues. ..
- Wirth K, Ricci R, Giménez Abián J, Taghybeeglu S, Kudo N, Jochum W, et al. Loss of the anaphase-promoting complex in quiescent cells causes unscheduled hepatocyte proliferation. Genes Dev. 2004;18:88-98 pubmed..Re-entry into the cell cycle either occurred without any proliferative stimulus or could be easily induced. We demonstrate that the APC has an additional function to prevent hepatocytes from unscheduled re-entry into the cell cycle. ..
- LÃ¶ckinger A, KÃ¶berle D, KÃ¶nig P, Saria A, Herold M, CornÃ©lissen G, et al. Neuropeptide chronomics in clinically healthy young adults: circaoctohoran and circadian patterns. Peptides. 2004;25:533-42 pubmed..Maps of circadian and extra-circadian patterns may serve for screening, diagnosis and a better understanding of mechanisms underlying the etiology of various diseases. ..
- Skirbekk V, Kohler H, Prskawetz A. Birth month, school graduation, and the timing of births and marriages. Demography. 2004;41:547-68 pubmed..The relevance of social age is likely due to social interactions and peer-group influences exerted by individuals who are in the same school cohort but are not necessarily of the same age. ..
- Schillinger M, Exner M, Sabeti S, Mlekusch W, Amighi J, Handler S, et al. High plasma heparin cofactor II activity protects from restenosis after femoropopliteal stenting. Thromb Haemost. 2004;92:1108-13 pubmed..Higher activity of heparin cofactor II may exert a protective effect against instent restenosis also in the femoropopliteal vessel area, confirming a prior observation after coronary stenting. ..
- Heller G, Fong K, Girard L, Seidl S, End Pfützenreuter A, Lang G, et al. Expression and methylation pattern of TSLC1 cascade genes in lung carcinomas. Oncogene. 2006;25:959-68 pubmed..Our results suggest that methylation of TSLC1 and/or DAL-1, leading to loss of their expression, is an important event in the pathogenesis of NSCLC. ..
- Petronczki M, Glotzer M, Kraut N, Peters J. Polo-like kinase 1 triggers the initiation of cytokinesis in human cells by promoting recruitment of the RhoGEF Ect2 to the central spindle. Dev Cell. 2007;12:713-25 pubmed..We propose that late mitotic Plk1 activity promotes recruitment of Ect2 to the central spindle, triggering the initiation of cytokinesis and contributing to cleavage plane specification in human cells. ..
- Weitzer S, Martinez J. The human RNA kinase hClp1 is active on 3' transfer RNA exons and short interfering RNAs. Nature. 2007;447:222-6 pubmed..The investigation of this novel enzymatic activity of hClp1 in the context of mRNA 3'-end formation, where no RNA phosphorylation event has hitherto been predicted, remains a challenge for the future. ..
- Seitz C, Memarsadeghi M, Fajkovic H, Tanovic E. Secondary signs of non-enhanced CT prior to laser ureterolithotripsy: is treatment outcome predictable?. J Endourol. 2008;22:415-8 pubmed publisher..8, P = 0.3). Preoperative secondary signs seen on NECT in patients harboring ureteral calculi do not correlate with intraoperative findings of impaction, and do not predict treatment outcome after Ho:YAG ureterolithotripsy. ..
- Rosenhek R, Baumgartner H. Aortic sclerosis, aortic stenosis and lipid-lowering therapy. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther. 2008;6:385-90 pubmed publisher..Lipid-lowering therapy with statins can, therefore, currently only be recommended in this subgroup of patients with AS. ..
- Kohlwein S, Petschnigg J. SLipid-induced cell dysfunction and cell death: lessons from yeast. Curr Hypertens Rep. 2007;9:455-61 pubmed..This article reviews recently uncovered aspects of fatty acid-associated malfunctions and lipotoxicity in yeast that may aid in understanding the molecular basis of lipid-associated disorders in mammals. ..
- Saletu M, Anderer P, Saletu Zyhlarz G, Mandl M, Zeitlhofer J, Saletu B. Event-related-potential low-resolution brain electromagnetic tomography (ERP-LORETA) suggests decreased energetic resources for cognitive processing in narcolepsy. Clin Neurophysiol. 2008;119:1782-94 pubmed publisher..Electrophysiological aberrations in brain areas related to the 'executive attention network' and the 'limbic system' may contribute to a deterioration in mental performance and mood at the behavioral level. ..
- Rankl C, Kienberger F, Wildling L, Wruss J, Gruber H, Blaas D, et al. Multiple receptors involved in human rhinovirus attachment to live cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:17778-83 pubmed publisher..The number of receptors involved in virus binding was determined, and estimates for on-rate, off-rate, and equilibrium binding constant of the interaction between HRV2 and plasma membrane-anchored receptors were obtained. ..
- Schiller H, Szekeres A, Binder B, Stockinger H, Leksa V. Mannose 6-phosphate/insulin-like growth factor 2 receptor limits cell invasion by controlling alphaVbeta3 integrin expression and proteolytic processing of urokinase-type plasminogen activator receptor. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:745-56 pubmed publisher..We conclude that M6P/IGF2R controls cell invasion by regulating alphaV integrin expression and by accelerating uPAR cleavage, leading to the loss of the urokinase/vitronectin/integrin-binding site on uPAR. ..
- Kratochwill K, Lechner M, Siehs C, Lederhuber H, Rehulka P, Endemann M, et al. Stress responses and conditioning effects in mesothelial cells exposed to peritoneal dialysis fluid. J Proteome Res. 2009;8:1731-47 pubmed publisher..A broad stress response with a number of highly overlapping processes and multitasking proteins shifts toward a more specific response of only few less overlapping processes. ..
- Altenberger H, Stollberger C, Finsterer J. Isolated left ventricular hypertrabeculation/noncompaction in a Turner mosaic with male phenotype. Acta Cardiol. 2009;64:99-103 pubmed..In such patients LVHT may not be accompanied by other congenital cardiac abnormalities but may be associated with severe cardiomyopathy resulting in rhythm abnormalities and heart failure. ..
- Flatt T, Schmidt P. Integrating evolutionary and molecular genetics of aging. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1790:951-62 pubmed publisher..The time is ripe for a synthesis of molecular biogerontology and the evolutionary biology of aging. ..
- Vyssoki B, Willeit M, Blüml V, Hofer P, Erfurth A, Psota G, et al. Inpatient treatment of major depression in Austria between 1989 and 2009: impact of downsizing of psychiatric hospitals on admissions, suicide rates and outpatient psychiatric services. J Affect Disord. 2011;133:93-6 pubmed publisher..Our data show that although inpatient treatment for unipolar major depression dramatically increased, reduction of psychiatric beds did not lead to an increase of suicide rates. ..
- Kern H, Pelosi L, Coletto L, Musaro A, Sandri M, Vogelauer M, et al. Atrophy/hypertrophy cell signaling in muscles of young athletes trained with vibrational-proprioceptive stimulation. Neurol Res. 2011;33:998-1009 pubmed publisher..Only VIB-trained group showed statistical significance increase of hypertrophy cell signaling pathways (IGF-1Ec and PGC-1? upregulation, and myostatin downregulation) leading to hypertrophy of fast twitch muscle fibers. ..
- Emmanuel K, Quinn E, Niu J, Guermazi A, Roemer F, Wirth W, et al. Quantitative measures of meniscus extrusion predict incident radiographic knee osteoarthritis--data from the Osteoarthritis Initiative. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2016;24:262-9 pubmed publisher..Greater medial meniscus extrusion predicts incident radiographic KOA. Early onset KOA showed greater differences for meniscus position between incident and non-incident knees than late onset KOA. ..
- Jaganjac M, Cipak A, Schaur R, Zarkovic N. Pathophysiology of neutrophil-mediated extracellular redox reactions. Front Biosci (Landmark Ed). 2016;21:839-55 pubmed..At the end a brief overview of cellular mechanisms to maintain ROS homeostasis is given. ..
- Helander L, Sharma A, Krokan H, Plaetzer K, Krammer B, Tortik N, et al. Photodynamic treatment with hexyl-aminolevulinate mediates reversible thiol oxidation in core oxidative stress signaling proteins. Mol Biosyst. 2016;12:796-805 pubmed publisher..Several of the proteins constitute potentially novel redox-regulated apoptotic triggers as well as potential targets for adjuvants that may improve the efficacy of HAL-PDT and PDT using other photosensitizers. ..
- Steichen Gersdorf E, Gassner I, Covi B, Fischer H. Oral-facial-digital syndrome II. Transitional type between Mohr and Majewski syndrome: report of a new case with congenital stenosis of the trachea. Clin Dysmorphol. 1994;3:245-50 pubmed..We believe that those cases may be considered to form a separate subentity of OFD syndromes although overlapping features within the different subtypes make a precise classification very difficult...
- Stacher G, Merio R, Budka C, Schneider C, Smolen J, Tappeiner G. Cardiovascular autonomic function, autoantibodies, and esophageal motor activity in patients with systemic sclerosis and mixed connective tissue disease. J Rheumatol. 2000;27:692-7 pubmed..Esophageal motor dysfunction may be associated with the presence of anti-Sc170 and anti-U1snRNP autoantibodies and prevail in patients with cardiovascular autonomic neuropathy. ..
- Kollau A, Hofer A, Russwurm M, Koesling D, Keung W, Schmidt K, et al. Contribution of aldehyde dehydrogenase to mitochondrial bioactivation of nitroglycerin: evidence for the activation of purified soluble guanylate cyclase through direct formation of nitric oxide. Biochem J. 2005;385:769-77 pubmed..In addition, the previous conflicting notion of the existence of a high-affinity GTN-metabolizing pathway operating in intact blood vessels but not in tissue homogenates is explained. ..
- Lutterotti A, Kuenz B, Gredler V, Khalil M, Ehling R, Gneiss C, et al. Increased serum levels of soluble CD14 indicate stable multiple sclerosis. J Neuroimmunol. 2006;181:145-9 pubmed..An increased expression of sCD14 was also detected after treatment with interferon-beta. In summary, we report evidence that serum sCD14 levels are increased in MS and correlate inversely with disease activity in relapsing MS patients. ..
- Vollmann R, Schaffler G, Spreizer C, Quehenberger F, Schoellnast H. Clinical significance of periportal tracking as an extrarenal manifestation of acute pyelonephritis. Abdom Imaging. 2011;36:557-60 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this study was to evaluate whether hepatic periportal tracking (PPT) in patients with acute pyelonephritis correlates with the severity of pyelonephritis...
- Hebenstreit G, Laux G, Schubert H, Beckmann H, Amman J, Bunse J, et al. A double-blind comparative multicentre study of controlled-release remoxipride, immediate-release remoxipride and haloperidol in schizophrenia. Pharmacopsychiatry. 1991;24:153-8 pubmed..Evaluation of the clinical chemistry, haematology, and cardiovascular data showed no clinically significant deleterious effects on any organ system for either drug...
- Aberger F, Schmidt G, Richter K. The Xenopus homologue of hepatocyte growth factor-like protein is specifically expressed in the presumptive neural plate during gastrulation. Mech Dev. 1996;54:23-37 pubmed..These data suggest that Xhl is involved in the formation of the embryonic nervous system of Xenopus. ..
- Winkler S, Paiha S, Winkler H, Graninger W, Marberger M, Steiner G. Microfilarial clearance in loiasis involves elevation of Th1 and Th2 products and emergence of a specific pattern of T-cell populations. Parasite Immunol. 1996;18:479-82 pubmed
- Holzfeind P, Merschak P, Wojnar P, Redl B. Structure and organization of the porcine LCN1 gene encoding Tear lipocalin/von Ebner's gland protein. Gene. 1997;202:61-7 pubmed..However, additional motifs present in the human LCN1 promoter, such as AP-1 and AP-2 sites, a NF-kappaB site, and a cAMP-responsive element, could not be detected in the porcine LCN1 promoter. ..
- Urban C, Benesch M, Pakisch B, Lackner H, Kerbl R, Schwinger W, et al. Synchronous radiochemotherapy in unfavorable brain tumors of children and young adults. J Neurooncol. 1998;39:71-80 pubmed..However, radiotherapy concomitant to chemotherapy appears to be an effective method of treatment for brain tumors with poor prognosis, though toxicity is severe in some cases. ..
- Teis D, Wunderlich W, Huber L. Localization of the MP1-MAPK scaffold complex to endosomes is mediated by p14 and required for signal transduction. Dev Cell. 2002;3:803-14 pubmed..Reduction of MP1 or p14 protein levels by siRNAi results in defective signal transduction. Therefore, our results suggest that the endosomal localization of the p14/MP1-MAPK scaffold complex is crucial for signal transduction. ..
- Fakhrai N, Czech T, Diekmann K, Fazeny Dörner B, Birner P, Hainfellner J, et al. Glioblastoma with spinal seeding. Strahlenther Onkol. 2004;180:455-7 pubmed..This case report describes two patients suffering from GBM with spinal seeding. In both cases, the anatomic localization of the primary tumor close to the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) was the main factor for spinal seeding...
- Sator Katzenschlager S, Michalek Sauberer A. P-Stim auricular electroacupuncture stimulation device for pain relief. Expert Rev Med Devices. 2007;4:23-32 pubmed..Further large-scale studies are required to evaluate the analgesic efficacy of auricular electroacupuncture. ..
- Hofer A, Rettenbacher M, Edlinger M, Huber R, Bodner T, Kemmler G, et al. Outcomes in schizophrenia outpatients treated with amisulpride or olanzapine. Pharmacopsychiatry. 2007;40:1-8 pubmed..These observations add to the evidence that continuous treatment with different second-generation antipsychotics with relatively few side effects leads to comparable outcomes in patients with schizophrenia. ..
- Paar C, Wurm S, Pfarr W, Sonnleitner A, Wechselberger C. Prion protein resides in membrane microclusters of the immunological synapse during lymphocyte activation. Eur J Cell Biol. 2007;86:253-64 pubmed..The formation of immunological synapses, however, did not depend on the presence of PrP as proven by siRNA knockdown experiments, indicating very subtle physiological roles of PrP in vivo within the immune system. ..
- Kotzot D. Complex and segmental uniparental disomy updated. J Med Genet. 2008;45:545-56 pubmed publisher..No case of recurrence has been reported until now. Therefore, in subsequent pregnancies invasive prenatal diagnosis is not necessarily indicated. ..
- Pichler E, Pichler L. The neonatal coagulation system and the vitamin K deficiency bleeding - a mini review. Wien Med Wochenschr. 2008;158:385-95 pubmed publisher..Finally, the therapeutic use of vitamin K is addressed; the potential use of fresh-frozen plasma, prothrombin complex preparations, and recombinant factor VIIa is discussed. ..
- Geyeregger R, Shehata M, Zeyda M, Kiefer F, Stuhlmeier K, Porpaczy E, et al. Liver X receptors interfere with cytokine-induced proliferation and cell survival in normal and leukemic lymphocytes. J Leukoc Biol. 2009;86:1039-48 pubmed publisher..This novel LXR action could find clinical application in immunosuppressive and antileukemic therapies. ..
- Sasaki T, Brännström A, Dieckmann U, Sigmund K. The take-it-or-leave-it option allows small penalties to overcome social dilemmas. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:1165-9 pubmed publisher..We also demonstrate that punishing provides a "lighter touch" than rewarding, guaranteeing full cooperation at considerably lower cost. ..