Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Australia
Publications975 found, 100 shown here
- Luciani F, Sisson S, Jiang H, Francis A, Tanaka M. The epidemiological fitness cost of drug resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:14711-5 pubmed publisher..For instance, projections using our estimates suggest that the prevalence of tuberculosis may decline with successful treatment, but the proportion of cases associated with resistance is likely to increase. ..
- Stonehouse A, Cook M, Woodard J. VentrAssist left ventricular assist systems long-term in vitro reliability. Artif Organs. 2009;33:860-4 pubmed..36 years. In vitro reliability of the VentrAssist LVAD blood pump is 96.7%(60% confidence) at 1 year. No failures have been seen over 4.5 years of test, and testing is ongoing. ..
- Khasraw M, Pavlakis N, McCowatt S, Underhill C, Begbie S, de Souza P, et al. Multicentre phase I/II study of PI-88, a heparanase inhibitor in combination with docetaxel in patients with metastatic castrate-resistant prostate cancer. Ann Oncol. 2010;21:1302-7 pubmed publisher..Further evaluation of different scheduling and dosing of PI-88 and docetaxel may be warranted to optimise efficacy with a more manageable safety profile. ..
- Gnanenthiran S, Hassett G, Gibson K, McNeil H. Acute gout management during hospitalization: a need for a protocol. Intern Med J. 2011;41:610-7 pubmed publisher..We recommend establishment of a hospital-wide protocol to support decision-making regarding investigations, treatment and follow up. ..
- Bennell K, Hunt M, Wrigley T, Hunter D, McManus F, Hodges P, et al. Hip strengthening reduces symptoms but not knee load in people with medial knee osteoarthritis and varus malalignment: a randomised controlled trial. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2010;18:621-8 pubmed publisher..To determine whether hip abductor and adductor muscle strengthening reduces medial compartment knee load and improves symptoms in people with medial tibiofemoral OA and varus malalignment...
- Sawleshwarkar S, Harrison C, Britt H, Mindel A. Chlamydia testing in general practice in Australia. Sex Health. 2010;7:484-90 pubmed publisher..Chlamydia testing rates have increased in general practice in Australia, with higher rates in females. Initiatives to overcome barriers to testing (especially for male patients and older male GPs) need to be established and evaluated. ..
- Molenberghs P, Hayward L, Mattingley J, Cunnington R. Activation patterns during action observation are modulated by context in mirror system areas. Neuroimage. 2012;59:608-15 pubmed publisher..This is consistent with the view that these regions do not merely process observed actions passively, but play an active role in action understanding. ..
- Ovenden S, Nielson J, Liptrot C, Willis R, Tapiolas D, Wright A, et al. A new diketopiperazine, cyclo-(4-S-hydroxy-R-proline-R-isoleucine), from an Australian specimen of the sponge Stelletta sp. Mar Drugs. 2011;9:2469-78 pubmed publisher..The isolation and structure elucidation of the diketopiperazine (1), together with the activity of 1-8 against a panel of human and mammalian cell lines are discussed. ..
- Kelly B, Diefenbach E, Fraefel C, Diefenbach R. Identification of host cell proteins which interact with herpes simplex virus type 1 tegument protein pUL37. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012;417:961-5 pubmed publisher..Such host cell/pUL37 interactions provide further insights into the multifunctional role of this herpesviral tegument protein. ..
- Room R. Reform by subtraction: the path of denunciation of international drug treaties and reaccession with reservations. Int J Drug Policy. 2012;23:401-6 pubmed publisher..Also discussed are the options for response to the reservations by other parties, which vary between the treaties, and how pursuing the option of denunciation and reaccession with reservation might potentially play out. ..
- McArthur J, Petocz P, Caterson I, Samman S. A randomized controlled trial in young women of the effects of consuming pork meat or iron supplements on nutritional status and feeling of well-being. J Am Coll Nutr. 2012;31:175-84 pubmed..Consumption of pork meat by young women maintains hemoglobin levels to the same extent as low-dose iron supplementation and enhances the components of well-being, mainly their perception of bodily pain. ..
- Togher L, McDonald S, Tate R, Power E, Rietdijk R. Training communication partners of people with severe traumatic brain injury improves everyday conversations: a multicenter single blind clinical trial. J Rehabil Med. 2013;45:637-45 pubmed publisher..The Adapted Kagan scales proved to be a robust and sensitive outcome measure for a conversational skills training program. ..
- Ling X, Smoll N. A systematic review of variations of the recurrent laryngeal nerve. Clin Anat. 2016;29:104-10 pubmed publisher..57%; 95%CI 0.5, 0.65) NRLN documented. The RLN is most commonly found in the posterior position, relative to the ITA. The incidence of the NRLN is low, only occurring in 0.57% of people. ..
- Herman C, Polivy J, Vartanian L, Pliner P. Are large portions responsible for the obesity epidemic?. Physiol Behav. 2016;156:177-81 pubmed publisher..Factors other than the size of individual meals may well be responsible for a great deal of the observed population weight gain. ..
- Holmskov M, Storebø O, Moreira Maia C, Ramstad E, Magnusson F, Krogh H, et al. Gastrointestinal adverse events during methylphenidate treatment of children and adolescents with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: A systematic review with meta-analysis and Trial Sequential Analysis of randomised clinical trials. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178187 pubmed publisher..No differences in the risks of gastrointestinal adverse events according to type, dose, or duration of administration were found. ..
- Coughlin P, Sun J, Cerruti L, Salem H, Bird P. Cloning and molecular characterization of a human intracellular serine proteinase inhibitor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993;90:9417-21 pubmed..Analysis of human tissue mRNA indicated that PTI is expressed widely with the highest levels in cardiac and skeletal muscle and placenta. We conclude that PTI is a member of an emerging class of intracellular serpins. ..
- Devine A, Rosen C, Mohan S, Baylink D, Prince R. Effects of zinc and other nutritional factors on insulin-like growth factor I and insulin-like growth factor binding proteins in postmenopausal women. Am J Clin Nutr. 1998;68:200-6 pubmed..These results suggest that low zinc intake is associated with low IGF-I concentrations in healthy postmenopausal women and that the effects of zinc may be independent of protein intake. ..
- Kelly K, Spooner C, Rowe B. Nedocromil sodium versus sodium cromoglycate in treatment of exercise-induced bronchoconstriction: a systematic review. Eur Respir J. 2001;17:39-45 pubmed..Side-effect profiles were similar. ..
- Sakoff J, Ackland S, Baldwin M, Keane M, McCluskey A. Anticancer activity and protein phosphatase 1 and 2A inhibition of a new generation of cantharidin analogues. Invest New Drugs. 2002;20:1-11 pubmed..In conclusion, we have synthesised new anticancer agents that show selective cytotoxicity in colon cancer cells while remaining inactive in normal colon cells, and which mediate their effects via the G2/M phase of the cell cycle. ..
- Radford Smith G. Will worms really cure Crohn's disease?. Gut. 2005;54:6-8 pubmed
- Celermajer D. Brachial artery FMD with 5-minute distal cuff occlusion--a useful pathophysiological test after all!. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2005;99:1619 pubmed
- Kolos V, Menzies R, McIntyre P. Higher pertussis hospitalization rates in indigenous Australian infants, and delayed vaccination. Vaccine. 2007;25:588-90 pubmed..These data suggest that residence in a remote area, as a proxy for poorer living conditions for indigenous people, and delayed vaccination, both contribute to higher pertussis hospitalization rates in indigenous infants. ..
- Ruangsri S, Whittle T, Murray G. Superior head of human lateral pterygoid muscle: single motor unit firing rates during isometric force. Arch Oral Biol. 2007;52:995-1001 pubmed..The similarity of these data to previous IHLP data, provide additional support for the hypothesis that the SHLP and the IHLP should be regarded as two parts of one muscle...
- Stewart P, Stuhmcke A. Legal pragmatism and the pre-birth continuum: an absence of unifying principle. J Law Med. 2007;15:272-95 pubmed
- Li H, Heilbronn L, Hu D, Poynten A, Blackburn M, Shirkhedkar D, et al. Islet-1: a potentially important role for an islet cell gene in visceral fat. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2008;16:356-62 pubmed publisher..An important developmental and regulatory gene ISL1 is uniquely expressed in VF, probably in the preadipocyte. Our data suggest that ISL1 may be regulated by adiposity and its role in metabolic regulation merits further study. ..
- Rosso O, Mendes A, Rostas J, Hunter M, Moscato P. Distinguishing childhood absence epilepsy patients from controls by the analysis of their background brain electrical activity. J Neurosci Methods. 2009;177:461-8 pubmed publisher..The findings of this pilot study can have strong implications in future clinical practice. ..
- Shahid S, Thompson S. An overview of cancer and beliefs about the disease in Indigenous people of Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the US. Aust N Z J Public Health. 2009;33:109-18 pubmed publisher..Further community-based research is needed to increase understanding of the needs of Indigenous people with cancer, and to guide policy and practice towards more supportive and effective care. ..
- Taft R, Glazov E, Lassmann T, Hayashizaki Y, Carninci P, Mattick J. Small RNAs derived from snoRNAs. RNA. 2009;15:1233-40 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that there is interplay between the RNA silencing and snoRNA-mediated RNA processing systems, and that sdRNAs comprise a novel and ancient class of small RNAs in eukaryotes. ..
- Jin F, Prestage G, Matthews G, Zablotska I, Rawstorne P, Kippax S, et al. Prevalence, incidence and risk factors for hepatitis C in homosexual men: data from two cohorts of HIV-negative and HIV-positive men in Sydney, Australia. Sex Transm Infect. 2010;86:25-8 pubmed publisher..Although incident HCV infection was uncommon in both cohorts, cases of non-IDU-related transmission did occur, possibly linked to sexual contact with HIV-positive men. ..
- Newitt P, Boros J, Madakashira B, Robinson M, Reneker L, McAvoy J, et al. Sef is a negative regulator of fiber cell differentiation in the ocular lens. Differentiation. 2010;80:53-67 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the lens provides a useful paradigm as to how opposing gradients of a growth factor and its antagonist could work together to determine and stabilise tissue patterning during development and growth. ..
- Morgan V, Jablensky A. From inventory to benchmark: quality of psychiatric case registers in research. Br J Psychiatry. 2010;197:8-10 pubmed publisher..The discussion is illustrated using a Western Australian e-cohort of half a million children for whom we have assembled comprehensive data cross-linked across a number of administrative registers. ..
- Pang E, Delic N, Hong A, Zhang M, Rose B, Lyons J. Radiosensitization of oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma cells by human papillomavirus 16 oncoprotein E6?I. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011;79:860-5 pubmed publisher..This study supports a role for E6?I in the enhanced responsiveness of HPV-positive oropharyngeal carcinomas to p53-independent radiation-induced death. ..
- Beaumont K, Hamilton N, Moores M, Brown D, Ohbayashi N, Cairncross O, et al. The recycling endosome protein Rab17 regulates melanocytic filopodia formation and melanosome trafficking. Traffic. 2011;12:627-43 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal new functions for RE and Rab17 in pigmentation through a distal step in the process of melanosome release via filopodia. ..
- Titaley C, Dibley M, Roberts C. Type of delivery attendant, place of delivery and risk of early neonatal mortality: analyses of the 1994-2007 Indonesia Demographic and Health Surveys. Health Policy Plan. 2012;27:405-16 pubmed publisher..Efforts to strengthen the referral system and to improve the quality of delivery and newborn care services in health facilities are important, particularly in public hospitals and in rural areas. ..
- Eastwood Sutherland C, Gale T. Eye-screen distance monitoring for computer use. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2011;2011:2164-7 pubmed publisher..Preliminary results indicate that the system is an excellent method of monitoring eye-screen distance. This type of system will enable future studies of eye-screen distance for computer users. ..
- ..In contrast, there is strong evidence for a diagnosis of prolonged grief that is distinguished from depression and involves marked impairment. ..
- Magee C, Holliday E, Attia J, Kritharides L, Banks E. Investigation of the relationship between sleep duration, all-cause mortality, and preexisting disease. Sleep Med. 2013;14:591-6 pubmed publisher..Previous findings suggesting a relationship between sleep duration and mortality could be affected by residual confounding by poor preexisting health, as reflected by a combination of preexisting illnesses and functional limitations. ..
- Fixsen A. Should homeopathy be considered as part of a treatment strategy for otitis media with effusion in children?. Homeopathy. 2013;102:145-50 pubmed publisher..Reduction of antibiotic use is an important outcome. ..
- McManus D. Immunodiagnosis of sheep infections with Echinococcus granulosus: in 35 years where have we come?. Parasite Immunol. 2014;36:125-30 pubmed publisher..In particular, the poor antibody response of ruminants to naturally acquired hydatid infection may prove an insurmountable barrier in future efforts to develop a reliable and accurate immunological test. ..
- Li J, O Connor H, O Dwyer N, Orr R. The effect of acute and chronic exercise on cognitive function and academic performance in adolescents: A systematic review. J Sci Med Sport. 2017;20:841-848 pubmed publisher..Well-designed research is therefore warranted to determine the benefits of exercise in enhancing CF and AP and reducing sedentary behaviour. ..
- Wilson D, Walker M, Aurora N, Moore S. Ameloblastoma with mucous cell differentiation. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2001;91:576-8 pubmed..This report describes a case of ameloblastoma exhibiting histopathologic evidence of focal mucous cell differentiation. Issues relating to the differential diagnosis of this lesion are discussed. ..
- Anforth R, Blumetti T, Kefford R, Sharma R, Scolyer R, Kossard S, et al. Cutaneous manifestations of dabrafenib (GSK2118436): a selective inhibitor of mutant BRAF in patients with metastatic melanoma. Br J Dermatol. 2012;167:1153-60 pubmed publisher..Highly oncogenic HPV infection is unlikely to be a contributor to the formation of SCCs or verrucal keratoses. ..
- Pinto A, Seth R, Zhou F, Tallon J, Dempsey K, Tracy M, et al. Emergence and control of an outbreak of infections due to Panton-Valentine leukocidin positive, ST22 methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in a neonatal intensive care unit. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2013;19:620-7 pubmed publisher..PVL-producing ST22 SCCmec IV MRSA appears to be a virulent and highly transmissible pathogen in the NICU, which was difficult to control. ..
- Foletta V, Brown E, Cho Y, Snow R, Kralli A, Russell A. Ndrg2 is a PGC-1?/ERR? target gene that controls protein synthesis and expression of contractile-type genes in C2C12 myotubes. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1833:3112-3123 pubmed publisher..This study shows that in C2C12 myotubes Ndrg2 is a novel PGC-1?/ERR? transcriptional target, which influences protein turnover and the regulation of genes involved in muscle contraction and function. ..
- Budhathoki S, Pokharel P, Good S, Limbu S, Bhattachan M, Osborne R. The potential of health literacy to address the health related UN sustainable development goal 3 (SDG3) in Nepal: a rapid review. BMC Health Serv Res. 2017;17:237 pubmed publisher..While there is currently little in place for health literacy to impact on the SDG3, this paper generates insights into health literacy's potential role. ..
- Hayes J, Hart B, Phillips J. Specialist palliative care nurses' management of the needs of patients with depression. Int J Palliat Nurs. 2017;23:298-305 pubmed publisher..The connections between physical health and mental health need stronger recognition and response within nursing care of palliative patients. ..
- Xu J, Tan J, Huang L, Gao X, Laird R, Liu D, et al. Cloning, sequencing, and functional characterization of the rat homologue of receptor activator of NF-kappaB ligand. J Bone Miner Res. 2000;15:2178-86 pubmed
- Nowson C, Worsley A, Margerison C, Jorna M, Frame A, Torres S, et al. Blood pressure response to dietary modifications in free-living individuals. J Nutr. 2004;134:2322-9 pubmed..8 +/- 0.6 (P = 0.15) mm Hg, respectively]. A self-selected low-sodium, high-potassium diet resulted in a greater fall in BP than a multifaceted OD, confirming the beneficial effect of dietary intervention on BP in a community setting. ..
- Dyksterhuis L, Baldock C, Lammie D, Wess T, Weiss A. Domains 17-27 of tropoelastin contain key regions of contact for coacervation and contain an unusual turn-containing crosslinking domain. Matrix Biol. 2007;26:125-35 pubmed..These studies were complemented by small angle X-ray scattering studies that confirmed a bend in this important subfragment of the tropoelastin molecule. ..
- Downie S, Salome C, Verbanck S, Thompson B, Berend N, King G. Ventilation heterogeneity is a major determinant of airway hyperresponsiveness in asthma, independent of airway inflammation. Thorax. 2007;62:684-9 pubmed..Normalisation of ventilation heterogeneity is therefore a potential goal of treatment that may lead to improved long-term outcomes. ..
- Wong M, Turner P, Yee K. Involving clinicians in the development of an electronic clinical handover system - thinking systems not just technology. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2008;136:490-5 pubmed
- Arnold J, Choong D, Thompson E, Waddell N, Lindeman G, Visvader J, et al. Frequent somatic mutations of GATA3 in non-BRCA1/BRCA2 familial breast tumors, but not in BRCA1-, BRCA2- or sporadic breast tumors. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2010;119:491-6 pubmed publisher..It is possible that GATA3 mutations occur earlier in the evolution of BRCAx tumors, compared to BRCA1, BRCA2 or sporadic tumors, and are therefore easier to detect by direct sequencing in the presence of some stromal contamination. ..
- Babor R, Talbot M, Tyndal A. Treatment of upper gastrointestinal leaks with a removable, covered, self-expanding metallic stent. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2009;19:e1-4 pubmed publisher..Stenting is feasible in cases with substantial tissue loss or contamination. Suturing the stent transluminally stabilizes the stent where risk of migration is high. ..
- Vitry A. Reporting of studies on new medicines in major medical journals: a case study in breast cancer. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2010;87:398-400 pubmed publisher..Several proposals to strengthen the quality of reporting of clinical trials in medical journals and to support reliable assessment of the therapeutic value of new medicines are discussed. ..
- Kumar K, Needham M, Mina K, Davis M, Brewer J, Staples C, et al. Two Australian families with inclusion-body myopathy, Paget's disease of bone and frontotemporal dementia: novel clinical and genetic findings. Neuromuscul Disord. 2010;20:330-4 pubmed publisher..Leu198Trp). Our findings broaden the phenotypic spectrum of IBMPFD and further emphasise the resemblance to amyotrophic lateral sclerosis in some cases. ..
- Jeffery L, Rhodes G, McKone E, Pellicano E, Crookes K, Taylor E. Distinguishing norm-based from exemplar-based coding of identity in children: evidence from face identity aftereffects. J Exp Psychol Hum Percept Perform. 2011;37:1824-40 pubmed publisher..We conclude that children's poor face identification skills cannot be attributed to a failure to use norm-based coding. ..
- Steele A, Waite S, Egan S, Finnigan J, Handley A, Wade T. Psycho-education and group cognitive-behavioural therapy for clinical perfectionism: a case-series evaluation. Behav Cogn Psychother. 2013;41:129-43 pubmed publisher..46 to 1.91) that were maintained at 3-month follow-up. These results suggested that group CBT for clinical perfectionism may be beneficial, but that psycho-education alone is not effective for reducing perfectionism or negative affect. ..
- Lau S, Yong T. Rhabdomyolysis in acute primary adrenal insufficiency complicated by severe hyponatraemia. Intern Med. 2012;51:2371-4 pubmed..We herein report the case of a patient with acute primary adrenal insufficiency and severe hyponatraemia complicated by rhabdomyolysis and acute kidney injury. ..
- Long J, Cunningham F, Carswell P, Braithwaite J. Who are the key players in a new translational research network?. BMC Health Serv Res. 2013;13:338 pubmed publisher..Possible reasons for the mismatch include overlapping structures and weak knowledge of members. The importance of correctly identifying these key players is discussed in terms of network interventions to improve efficiency. ..
- Creaby M, Franettovich Smith M. Retraining running gait to reduce tibial loads with clinician or accelerometry guided feedback. J Sci Med Sport. 2016;19:288-92 pubmed publisher..Longer term follow-up is required to evaluate the efficacy of both approaches in reducing the risk of stress fracture development. ..
- Thomas M, Welch C, Stone L, Allan P, Barker R, White R. PAX6 expression may be protective against dopaminergic cell loss in Parkinson's disease. CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets. 2016;15:73-9 pubmed..These results suggest that Pax6 may have a role to play in the loss of dopaminergic neurons in PD. ..
- Russell T. Physical rehabilitation using telemedicine. J Telemed Telecare. 2007;13:217-20 pubmed..If this can be done, then the undoubted potential benefits of telerehabilitation, for both the patient and health-care systems, can be realized. ..
- Khan N, Owens G, Bruce D, Naidu R. Human arsenic exposure and risk assessment at the landscape level: a review. Environ Geochem Health. 2009;31 Suppl 1:143-66 pubmed publisher..In this paper we review the present and likely future trends of human As exposure and GIS application in risk assessment at the landscape level. ..
- Hansford K, Reid R, Clark C, Tyndall J, Whitehouse M, Guthrie T, et al. D-Tyrosine as a chiral precusor to potent inhibitors of human nonpancreatic secretory phospholipase A2 (IIa) with antiinflammatory activity. Chembiochem. 2003;4:181-5 pubmed..Antiinflammatory activity is also demonstrated for two compounds administered orally to rats. ..
- Sears W. Posterior lumbar interbody fusion for lytic spondylolisthesis: restoration of sagittal balance using insert-and-rotate interbody spacers. Spine J. 2005;5:161-9 pubmed..The insert-and-rotate posterior lumbar interbody fusion (PLIF) technique, first described by Jaslow in 1946, may enable surgeons to safely and effectively correct sagittal balance through a single posterior approach...
- Gray T, Casey T, Selva D, Anderson P, David D. Ophthalmic sequelae of Crouzon syndrome. Ophthalmology. 2005;112:1129-34 pubmed..Optic atrophy remains an important cause of visual impairment in these patients before decompressive craniectomy. ..
- Sharma S, Dimasi D, Broer S, Kumar R, Della N. Heme carrier protein 1 (HCP1) expression and functional analysis in the retina and retinal pigment epithelium. Exp Cell Res. 2007;313:1251-9 pubmed..Expression of HCP1 in the RPE and retina indicates the mechanism of heme transport in these ocular tissues. ..
- Driscoll T, Cripps R, Brotherhood J. Heat-related injuries resulting in hospitalisation in Australian sport. J Sci Med Sport. 2008;11:40-7 pubmed
- Diefenbach R, Miranda Saksena M, Douglas M, Cunningham A. Transport and egress of herpes simplex virus in neurons. Rev Med Virol. 2008;18:35-51 pubmed..Current hypotheses suggest that unenveloped HSV capsids complete assembly in the axonal growth cones and varicosities, whereas with PrV unenveloped capsids are only found travelling in a retrograde direction...
- Appleton S, Ruffin R, Wilson D, Taylor A, Adams R. Cardiovascular disease risk associated with asthma and respiratory morbidity might be mediated by short-acting beta2-agonists. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2009;123:124-130.e1 pubmed publisher..CVD risk in relation to atopic status of asthma also requires further investigation. ..
- Beagley K, Huston W, Hansbro P, Timms P. Chlamydial infection of immune cells: altered function and implications for disease. Crit Rev Immunol. 2009;29:275-305 pubmed..In this paper, we review the evidence for the growth of Chlamydia in immune cells, particularly monocytes/macrophages and dendritic cells, and describe how infection may affect the function of these cells. ..
- Simmer K, Hartmann B. The knowns and unknowns of human milk banking. Early Hum Dev. 2009;85:701-4 pubmed publisher..HMB networks will facilitate collection of evidence for refining HMB practice and improving outcomes for preterm and sick infants...
- Ovchinnikov D, DeBats C, Sester D, Sweet M, Hume D. A conserved distal segment of the mouse CSF-1 receptor promoter is required for maximal expression of a reporter gene in macrophages and osteoclasts of transgenic mice. J Leukoc Biol. 2010;87:815-22 pubmed publisher..RT-PCR analyses of Csf1r mRNA revealed that mouse OCL use another promoter within this region, distinct from that used in placental trophoblasts, to generate an alternative 5'UTR. ..
- Wang Z, Hoy W, Si D. Incidence of type 2 diabetes in Aboriginal Australians: an 11-year prospective cohort study. BMC Public Health. 2010;10:487 pubmed publisher..The lifetime risk of developing diabetes among Aboriginal men is one in two, and among Aboriginal women is two in three. Baseline IFG, IGT and obesity are important predictors of diabetes. ..
- Ongugo K, Hall J, Attia J. Implementing tuberculosis control in Papua New Guinea: a clash of culture and science?. J Community Health. 2011;36:423-30 pubmed publisher..There are unique cultural and local issues that need to be addressed when implementing DOTS strategy in PNG. ..
- Power E, Anderson A, Togher L. Applying the WHO ICF framework to communication assessment and goal setting in Huntington's disease: a case discussion. J Commun Disord. 2011;44:261-75 pubmed publisher..As a result of this activity, readers will introduce life storybooks as a potential legacy item in degenerative diseases. ..
- Muller A, Zerom M, Limburg H, Ghebrat Y, Meresie G, Fessahazion K, et al. Results of a rapid assessment of avoidable blindness (RAAB) in Eritrea. Ophthalmic Epidemiol. 2011;18:103-8 pubmed publisher..To collect baseline data for planning of the National Blindness Prevention & Control Program and for monitoring future achievements...
- Redgrove K, Anderson A, Dun M, McLaughlin E, O Bryan M, Aitken R, et al. Involvement of multimeric protein complexes in mediating the capacitation-dependent binding of human spermatozoa to homologous zonae pellucidae. Dev Biol. 2011;356:460-74 pubmed publisher..Overall, the strategies employed in this study have provided novel, causal insights into the molecular mechanisms that govern sperm-egg interaction. ..
- Lim N, Villemagne V, Soon C, Laughton K, Rowe C, McLean C, et al. Investigation of matrix metalloproteinases, MMP-2 and MMP-9, in plasma reveals a decrease of MMP-2 in Alzheimer's disease. J Alzheimers Dis. 2011;26:779-86 pubmed publisher..16, p < 0.05), but there was no association with PiB. This is the first report of a change in MMP-2 activity in AD plasma and these findings may provide some insight into AD pathogenesis. ..
- Gilmore A, Heblinski M, Reynolds A, Kassiou M, Connor M. Inhibition of human recombinant T-type calcium channels by N-arachidonoyl 5-HT. Br J Pharmacol. 2012;167:1076-88 pubmed publisher..NA-5HT is one of the most potent inhibitors of T-type I(Ca) described to date, and it is likely to exert some of its biological effects, including anti-nociception, via inhibition of these channels. ..
- Moses B, Orchard J, Orchard J. Systematic review: Annual incidence of ACL injury and surgery in various populations. Res Sports Med. 2012;20:157-79 pubmed publisher..Converting incidence rates to annual units allowed better comparisons to be made between population rates across different studies. ..
- Hawke F, Chuter V, Burns J. Impact of nocturnal calf cramping on quality of sleep and health-related quality of life. Qual Life Res. 2013;22:1281-6 pubmed publisher..Nocturnal calf muscle cramps are associated with substantially reduced quality of sleep and reduced physical aspects of health-related quality of life. ..