Experts and Doctors on hospital mortality in Italy
Topic: hospital mortality
- Landoni G, Fochi O, Torri G. Cardiac protection by volatile anaesthetics: a review. Curr Vasc Pharmacol. 2008;6:108-11 pubmed..Whether these cardioprotective properties also exist in non-coronary surgery settings is still controversial owing to the scarce available data. ..
- Clemente V, Aratari A, Papi C, Vernia P. Short term colectomy rate and mortality for severe ulcerative colitis in the last 40 years. Has something changed?. Dig Liver Dis. 2016;48:371-5 pubmed publisher..Better management of patients, reduced attitude to operate severe ulcerative colitis, as well as the use of Infliximab in the last cohort, all could have contributed to the improved outcome. ..
- Carinci F, Roti L, Francesconi P, Gini R, Tediosi F, Di Iorio T, et al. The impact of different rehabilitation strategies after major events in the elderly: the case of stroke and hip fracture in the Tuscany region. BMC Health Serv Res. 2007;7:95 pubmed..Differences in hazard rates for 6-month mortality after stroke at population level were also found. These results need to be confirmed and further investigated through a more robust information framework. ..
- Di Marco F, Devaquet J, Lyazidi A, Galia F, da Costa N, Fumagalli R, et al. Positive end-expiratory pressure-induced functional recruitment in patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome. Crit Care Med. 2010;38:127-32 pubmed publisher..Lung diffusion for carbon monoxide measurement supplies additional information about functional lung recruitment, which is not synonymous with mechanical recruitment. ..
- Masotti L, Panigada G, Landini G, Pieralli F, Corradi F, Lenti S, et al. Simplified PESI score and sex difference in prognosis of acute pulmonary embolism: a brief report from a real life study. J Thromb Thrombolysis. 2016;41:606-12 pubmed publisher..Females seems to be at lower risk of all cause in-hospital mortality for sPESI score â‰¤2 but at higher risk of bleeding, irrespective from sPESI scoring. Predictive ability of sPESI score seems better in females. ..
- Silvestrelli G, Corea F, Paciaroni M, Milia P, Palmerini F, Parnetti L, et al. The Perugia hospital-based Stroke Registry: report of the 2nd year. Clin Exp Hypertens. 2002;24:485-91 pubmed..5%. Overall hospital mortality was 10%. In cerebral hemorrhage mortality was 18% (44/240) vs. 6.3% (32/534) in ischemic stroke (p < 0.05). The distribution of stroke types and mortality was similar to other previous reports. ..
- Baratto F, Michielan F, Meroni M, Dal Palù A, Boscolo A, Ori C. Protein C concentrate to restore physiological values in adult septic patients. Intensive Care Med. 2008;34:1707-12 pubmed publisher..A randomized, double blind study in patients with severe sepsis and contraindications to activated PC administration would be advisable to state the safety and the possible role of this product in the treatment of severe sepsis. ..
- Maisano F, Taramasso M, Nickenig G, Hammerstingl C, Vahanian A, Messika Zeitoun D, et al. Cardioband, a transcatheter surgical-like direct mitral valve annuloplasty system: early results of the feasibility trial. Eur Heart J. 2016;37:817-25 pubmed publisher..At 30 days, 22 of the 25 patients (88%) had MR â‰¤2+. This study demonstrates the feasibility and safety of percutaneous direct mitral annuloplasty with the Cardioband device in high-risk patients with MR. ..
- Bellelli G, Mazzone A, Morandi A, Latronico N, Perego S, Zazzetta S, et al. The Effect of an Impaired Arousal on Short- and Long-Term Mortality of Elderly Patients Admitted to an Acute Geriatric Unit. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2016;17:214-9 pubmed publisher..The assessment of arousal with m-RASS should be routinely performed on all older patients on admission to acute hospital wards to screen potentially critical conditions. ..
- Iacoviello L, Costanzo S, Persichillo M, Sparano A, Bartolo M, Polizzi B, et al. Hospital-based register of stroke in the Molise Region: focus on main subtypes of stroke. Years 2009-2013. Neurol Sci. 2016;37:191-8 pubmed publisher..This study underlines the need to plan better stroke management in Italy, in order to obtain outcomes more similar to those of the best performing countries. ..
- Rodes Cabau J, Hahn R, Latib A, Laule M, Lauten A, Maisano F, et al. Transcatheter Therapies for Treating Tricuspid Regurgitation. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016;67:1829-1845 pubmed publisher..Here we describe currently available transcatheter treatment options for severe TR implanted at different levels: the junction between vena cavae and right atrium; the tricuspid annulus; or between TV leaflets, improving coaptation. ..
- De Felice C, Toti P, Parrini S, Del Vecchio A, Bagnoli F, Latini G, et al. Histologic chorioamnionitis and severity of illness in very low birth weight newborns. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2005;6:298-302 pubmed..75-467.2); SNAP-II > 22 (OR, 43.05; 95% CI, 11.9-155.7), and SNAPPE-II > 42 (OR, 48.95; 95% CI, 10.18-235.4) (all p values <.0001). Our findings indicate that HCA is a major predictor of morbidity and mortality in VLBW newborns. ..
- Galassi A, Tomasello S, Reifart N, Werner G, Sianos G, Bonnier H, et al. In-hospital outcomes of percutaneous coronary intervention in patients with chronic total occlusion: insights from the ERCTO (European Registry of Chronic Total Occlusion) registry. EuroIntervention. 2011;7:472-9 pubmed publisher..Such outcomes should become the standard of care that all centres undertaking CTO PCI should aspire to. ..
- Piffaretti G, Galli M, Lomazzi C, Franchin M, Castelli P, Mariscalco G, et al. Endograft repair for pseudoaneurysms and penetrating ulcers of the ascending aorta. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2016;151:1606-14 pubmed publisher..Ascending TEVAR was feasible, safe, and effective for AAPs andÂ PAUs. In a very select subset of lesions, midterm results were favorable, with bothÂ standard and custom-designed endografts. ..
- De Bonis M, Lapenna E, La Canna G, Ficarra E, Pagliaro M, Torracca L, et al. Mitral valve repair for functional mitral regurgitation in end-stage dilated cardiomyopathy: role of the "edge-to-edge" technique. Circulation. 2005;112:I402-8 pubmed..The association of the edge-to-edge technique to the undersized annuloplasty can significantly improve the durability of the repair. ..
- Pappalardo F, Scandroglio A, Potapov E, Stepanenko A, Maj G, Krabatsch T, et al. Argatroban anticoagulation for heparin induced thrombocytopenia in patients with ventricular assist devices. Minerva Anestesiol. 2012;78:330-5 pubmed..Its impact in terms of survival should be reviewed also in the light of the technological improvements of assist devices. ..
- Godino C, Maisano F, Montorfano M, Latib A, Chieffo A, Michev I, et al. Outcomes after transcatheter aortic valve implantation with both Edwards-SAPIEN and CoreValve devices in a single center: the Milan experience. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2010;3:1110-21 pubmed publisher..Routine TAVI using both MCV and ESV with a selection of approaches is feasible and allows treatment of a wide range of patients with good overall procedural success rates and 30-day and 6-month outcomes. ..
- Vida V, Lago P, Salvatori S, Boccuzzo G, Padalino M, Milanesi O, et al. Is there an optimal timing for surgical ligation of patent ductus arteriosus in preterm infants?. Ann Thorac Surg. 2009;87:1509-15; discussion 1515-6 pubmed publisher..Surgical ligation of PDA is a safe and effective treatment and should be done soon after two complete cycles of ibuprofen, especially in selected patients, to improve clinical outcome. ..
- Seminari E, de Silvestri A, Ravasio V, Ludovisi S, Utili R, Petrosillo N, et al. Infective endocarditis in patients with hepatic diseases. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2016;35:279-84 pubmed publisher..Being an intravenous drug user (IVDU) was a protective factor and was associated with a reduced death risk. CHD is a factor worsening the prognosis in patients with IE, in particular in patients for whom cardiac surgery was required. ..
- Pedrazzoli S, Canton S, Sperti C. Duodenum-preserving versus pylorus-preserving pancreatic head resection for benign and premalignant lesions. J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci. 2011;18:94-102 pubmed publisher..Duodenum-preserving pancreatic head resection (DPPHR) has been reported in only 132 patients. This study aimed to compare the long-term results of DPPHR and PPPD...
- Marzorati C, Mokart D, Pène F, Lemiale V, Kouatchet A, Mayaux J, et al. Neurological failure in ICU patients with hematological malignancies: A prospective cohort study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178824 pubmed publisher..Knowledge of these risk factors might help to optimize management strategies. ..
- Renzulli A, De Feo M, De Santo L, Della Corte A, Dialetto G, Cotrufo M. Standard 19mm St Jude aortic valves in patients with body surface less than 1.7m2. Int J Artif Organs. 2001;24:229-34 pubmed..89+/-0.6%; thirteen-year freedom from embolism 89.41+/-0.7% and freedom from hemorrhage 98.25+/-0.02%. No case of prosthetic endocarditis, thrombosis, or reoperation was observed during follow-up...
- Balzano G, Zerbi A, Capretti G, Rocchetti S, Capitanio V, Di Carlo V. Effect of hospital volume on outcome of pancreaticoduodenectomy in Italy. Br J Surg. 2008;95:357-62 pubmed..Length of postoperative stay was reduced in very high-volume hospitals (P < 0.001). The outcome of PD in Italy is dependent on hospital volume and a policy of centralization may therefore be appropriate. ..
- Ranucci M, Soro G, Barzaghi N, Locatelli A, Giordano G, Vavassori A, et al. Fenoldopam prophylaxis of postoperative acute renal failure in high-risk cardiac surgery patients. Ann Thorac Surg. 2004;78:1332-7; discussion 1337-8 pubmed
- Cioffi G, Mortara A, Di Lenarda A, Oliva F, Lucci D, Senni M, et al. Clinical features, and in-hospital and 1-year mortalities of patients with acute heart failure and severe renal dysfunction. Data from the Italian Registry IN-HF Outcome. Int J Cardiol. 2013;168:3691-7 pubmed publisher..Independent predictors such as older age, and signs of hypoperfusion and hyponatremia may be identified but preventing and reversing RD remain the key targets for the clinical management of these patients. ..
- Damiani G, Pinnarelli L, Sommella L, Tocco M, Marvulli M, Magrini P, et al. Vacuum-assisted closure therapy for patients with infected sternal wounds: a meta-analysis of current evidence. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2011;64:1119-23 pubmed publisher..18 days in hospital LOS (confidence interval (CI) 95%: 10.82, 3.54), with no significant impact on mortality. Our data provide robust evidence of the effectiveness of VAC therapy...
- Gerbino G, Roccia F, De Gioanni P, Berrone S. Maxillofacial trauma in the elderly. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1999;57:777-82; discussion 782-3 pubmed..This article gives a general description of the incidence, causes, and complexity of maxillofacial fractures in the elderly and discusses whether modification is required in assessment, surgical indications, and techniques in such cases...
- Fabbri A, Servadei F, Marchesini G, Stein S, Vandelli A. Early predictors of unfavourable outcome in subjects with moderate head injury in the emergency department. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2008;79:567-73 pubmed..We aimed to determine the early predictors of outcome of subjects with moderate head injury admitted to an Emergency Department (ED) of a general hospital linked via telemedicine to the Regional Neurosurgical Centre...