Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on horses in Switzerland
- MÃ¼ller N, Hentrich B, Frey C, Welle M. Quantitative PCR for the diagnosis of cutaneous leishmaniasis from formalin-fixed and paraffin-embedded skin sections. Mol Cell Probes. 2015;29:507-510 pubmed publisher..Our results emphasise the importance of PCR to complement routine histology of cutaneous leishmaniasis cases, particularly in laboratories in which no immunohistochemical assay is available. ..
- Signer Hasler H, Flury C, Haase B, Burger D, Simianer H, Leeb T, et al. A genome-wide association study reveals loci influencing height and other conformation traits in horses. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e37282 pubmed publisher..In addition to these two QTL regions on ECA 3 and ECA 9 we detected another QTL on ECA 6 for correctness of gaits. Our study highlights the value of domestic animal populations for the genetic analysis of complex traits. ..
- Haase B, Obexer Ruff G, Dolf G, Rieder S, Burger D, Poncet P, et al. Haematological parameters are normal in dominant white Franches-Montagnes horses carrying a KIT mutation. Vet J. 2010;184:315-7 pubmed publisher..The data indicate that KIT mutations may have different effects in mice, pigs, and horses. The KIT p.Y717X mutation does not have a major negative effect on the haematopoietic system of dominant white horses. ..
- Lorello O, Foster D, Levine D, Boyle A, Engiles J, Orsini J. Clinical treatment and prognosis of equine odontoclastic tooth resorption and hypercementosis. Equine Vet J. 2016;48:188-94 pubmed publisher..Removal of clinically and radiographically affected teeth carries a good prognosis for improved quality of life. ..
- Braus B, Miller I, Kummer S, Kleinwort K, Hirmer S, Hauck S, et al. Investigation of corneal autoantibodies in horses with immune mediated keratitis (IMMK). Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2017;187:48-54 pubmed publisher..Still, maspin might play a role in some cases of equine IMMK. Further research is needed to clarify the etiology of this disease. ..
- Pusterla N, Huder J, Feige K, Lutz H. Identification of a granulocytic Ehrlichia strain isolated from a horse in Switzerland and comparison with other rickettsiae of the Ehrlichia phagocytophila genogroup. J Clin Microbiol. 1998;36:2035-7 pubmed..equi at two and three positions, respectively. Interestingly, the nucleotide sequence of the 16S rRNA was 100% identical to that of the agent of human granulocytic ehrlichiosis. ..
- Arnold P, Schöler A, Pachkov M, Balwierz P, Jørgensen H, Stadler M, et al. Modeling of epigenome dynamics identifies transcription factors that mediate Polycomb targeting. Genome Res. 2013;23:60-73 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our results show that key TFs can be identified ab initio through computational modeling of epigenome data sets using a modeling approach that we make readily accessible. ..
- Neuhaus S, Bruendler P, Frey C, Gottstein B, Doherr M, Gerber V. Increased parasite resistance and recurrent airway obstruction in horses of a high-prevalence family. J Vet Intern Med. 2010;24:407-13 pubmed publisher..0-1.0) times higher risk for shedding 1-100 EpG. Age, sex, breed, and sharing pastures with other species had no significant confounding effects. RAO is associated with resistance against strongylid parasites in a high-prevalence family. ..
- Schindler A, Vögtlin A, Hilbe M, Puorger M, Zlinszky K, Ackermann M, et al. Reverse transcription real-time PCR assays for detection and quantification of Borna disease virus in diseased hosts. Mol Cell Probes. 2007;21:47-55 pubmed..Therefore, the p24 test is suggested to be of higher value in the diagnostic laboratory. However, both assays should be useful for addressing questions in pathogenesis and for detecting BDV reservoirs in endemic areas. ..
- von Rechenberg B, Leutenegger C, Zlinsky K, McIlwraith C, Akens M, Auer J. Upregulation of mRNA of interleukin-1 and -6 in subchondral cystic lesions of four horses. Equine Vet J. 2001;33:143-9 pubmed
- Schaffartzik A, Hamza E, Janda J, Crameri R, Marti E, Rhyner C. Equine insect bite hypersensitivity: what do we know?. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2012;147:113-26 pubmed publisher..Characterization of the main allergens for IBH and understanding what mechanisms induce a healthy or allergic immune response towards these allergens may help to develop new treatment strategies, such as immunotherapy. ..
- Gerber V, Baleri D, Klukowska Rötzler J, Swinburne J, Dolf G. Mixed inheritance of equine recurrent airway obstruction. J Vet Intern Med. 2009;23:626-30 pubmed publisher..Although the expression of RAO is influenced by exposure to hay, these findings suggest a strong, complex genetic background for RAO. ..
- Couetil L, Cardwell J, Gerber V, Lavoie J, Leguillette R, Richard E. Inflammatory Airway Disease of Horses--Revised Consensus Statement. J Vet Intern Med. 2016;30:503-15 pubmed publisher..Since 2007, a large number of scientific articles have been published on the topic and these new findings have led to a significant evolution of our understanding of IAD. ..
- Muller N, Welle M, Lobsiger L, Stoffel M, Boghenbor K, Hilbe M, et al. Occurrence of Leishmania sp. in cutaneous lesions of horses in Central Europe. Vet Parasitol. 2009;166:346-51 pubmed publisher..Future investigations will demonstrate if this form of leishmaniasis represents an emerging, and perhaps zoonotic, disease of European, or even global, importance. ..
- Pusterla N, Huder J, Leutenegger C, Braun U, Madigan J, Lutz H. Quantitative real-time PCR for detection of members of the Ehrlichia phagocytophila genogroup in host animals and Ixodes ricinus ticks. J Clin Microbiol. 1999;37:1329-31 pubmed
- Schnellmann C, Gerber V, Rossano A, Jaquier V, Panchaud Y, Doherr M, et al. Presence of new mecA and mph(C) variants conferring antibiotic resistance in Staphylococcus spp. isolated from the skin of horses before and after clinic admission. J Clin Microbiol. 2006;44:4444-54 pubmed..Hospitalization and preventive penicillin use were shown to act as selection agents for multidrug-resistant commensal staphylococcal flora. ..
- Jonsdottir S, Svansson V, Stefansdottir S, Schüpbach G, Rhyner C, Marti E, et al. A preventive immunization approach against insect bite hypersensitivity: Intralymphatic injection with recombinant allergens in Alum or Alum and monophosphoryl lipid A. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2016;172:14-20 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, intralymphatic administration of small amounts of pure allergens in Alum/MPLA induces high IgG antibody levels and Th1/Treg immune response and is a promising approach for immunoprophylaxis and immunotherapy against IBH. ..
- Wohlfender F, Barrelet F, Doherr M, Straub R, Meier H. Diseases in neonatal foals. Part 2: potential risk factors for a higher incidence of infectious diseases during the first 30 days post partum. Equine Vet J. 2009;41:186-91 pubmed..These may help to detect foals at risk to develop an infection so that targeted prophylactic measures can be initiated. ..
- Herholz C, Kopp C, Wenger M, Mathis A, Wägeli S, Roth N. Efficacy of the repellent N,N-diethyl-3-methyl-benzamide (DEET) against tabanid flies on horses evaluated in a field test in Switzerland. Vet Parasitol. 2016;221:64-7 pubmed publisher..The design of the present study simulated practical conditions, allowed to quantify the number of tabanids flies and to demonstrate repellency of DEET in horses. ..
- Muller S, Grzybowski M, Sager H, Bornand V, Brehm W. A nodular granulomatous posthitis caused by Halicephalobus sp. in a horse. Vet Dermatol. 2008;19:44-8 pubmed publisher..This case is unusual in that the lesions were locally very extensive (10 cm), but they remained confined to the preputium and the nematodes did not spread haematogenously to other internal organs...
- Christen Clottu O, Klocke P, Burger D, Straub R, Gerber V. Treatment of clinically diagnosed equine sarcoid with a mistletoe extract (Viscum album austriacus). J Vet Intern Med. 2010;24:1483-9 pubmed publisher..Equine sarcoids (ES) are common, difficult to treat, and have high recurrence rates. Viscum album extracts (VAE) are used in human cancer treatment...
- Kummer M, Theiss F, Jackson M, Fürst A. Evaluation of a motorized morcellator for laparoscopic removal of granulosa-theca cell tumors in standing mares. Vet Surg. 2010;39:649-53 pubmed publisher..To describe a motorized morcellator technique for laparoscopic removal of granulosa-theca cell tumors (GCT) in standing mares and to evaluate long-term outcome...
- Berthoud H, Frey J, Sternberg S, Straub R, Kuhnert P. Antibodies to Aqx toxin of Actinobacillus equuli in horses and foals. Vet Rec. 2004;155:231-3 pubmed
- Thome M, Gaide O, Micheau O, Martinon F, Bonnet D, Gonzalez M, et al. Equine herpesvirus protein E10 induces membrane recruitment and phosphorylation of its cellular homologue, bcl-10. J Cell Biol. 2001;152:1115-22 pubmed
- Ziegler A, Everett H, Hamza E, Garbani M, Gerber V, Marti E, et al. Equine dendritic cells generated with horse serum have enhanced functionality in comparison to dendritic cells generated with fetal bovine serum. BMC Vet Res. 2016;12:254 pubmed..Therefore, horse serum was found to be superior to FBS for generating equine monocyte-derived dendritic cells. ..
- Lechner H, Kakebeeke T, Hegemann D, Baumberger M. The effect of hippotherapy on spasticity and on mental well-being of persons with spinal cord injury. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2007;88:1241-8 pubmed..To determine the effect of hippotherapy on spasticity and on mental well-being of persons with spinal cord injury (SCI), and to compare it with the effects of other interventions...
- Moens Y, Lanz F, Doherr M, Schatzmann U. A comparison of the antinociceptive effects of xylazine, detomidine and romifidine on experimental pain in horses. Vet Anaesth Analg. 2003;30:183-90 pubmed..This study demonstrates the analgesic potential of alpha2-agonists in the horse for somatic pain and that they can have quantitatively different antinociceptive effects according to the antinociceptive test used. ..
- Kuemmerle J, Berchtold S. Area of cartilage accessible to curettage for subsequent arthrodesis of the equine proximal interphalangeal joint. Comparison of conventional and collateral ligament sparing approaches. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol. 2013;26:489-92 pubmed publisher..2%) was significantly less than using the conventional procedure (79.6%) (p <0.01). The difference between forelimbs and hindlimbs was not significant. ..
- Ringer S, Lischer C, Ueltschi G. Assessment of scintigraphic and thermographic changes after focused extracorporeal shock wave therapy on the origin of the suspensory ligament and the fourth metatarsal bone in horses without lameness. Am J Vet Res. 2005;66:1836-42 pubmed..Results of this study indicate that at currently used ESWT settings, no damage to the bone or bone-tendon junction should occur. ..
- Marti M, Mevissen M, Althaus H, Steiner A. In vitro effects of bethanechol on equine gastrointestinal contractility and functional characterization of involved muscarinic receptor subtypes. J Vet Pharmacol Ther. 2005;28:565-74 pubmed..The involvement of other muscarinic receptor subtypes cannot be excluded. Further studies are necessary to understand the effect of BeCh in vivo including diseased animals. ..
- Klukowska Rötzler J, Swinburne J, Drogemuller C, Dolf G, Janda J, Leeb T, et al. The interleukin 4 receptor gene and its role in recurrent airway obstruction in Swiss Warmblood horses. Anim Genet. 2012;43:450-3 pubmed publisher..During exacerbation, IL4R expression was increased in RAO-affected offspring in the implicated family, but not in the other family. These findings support that IL4R plays a role in some cases of RAO. ..
- Frey J. The role of RTX toxins in host specificity of animal pathogenic Pasteurellaceae. Vet Microbiol. 2011;153:51-8 pubmed publisher..These data indicate the determinative role of RTX toxins in host specificity of pathogenic species of Pasteurellaceae...
- Zhang L, Franchini M, Wehrli Eser M, Dip R. Enhanced IL-6 transcriptional response to adenosine receptor ligands in horses with lower airway inflammation. Equine Vet J. 2012;44:81-7 pubmed publisher..This study supports selective AR targeting as a potential therapeutic approach for the modulation of inflammation in the equine lower respiratory tract. ..
- Neuditschko M, Raadsma H, Khatkar M, Jonas E, Steinig E, Flury C, et al. Identification of key contributors in complex population structures. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177638 pubmed publisher..As such, this method provides a valuable complement to common applied tools to visualize complex population structures and to select individuals for re-sequencing. ..
- Klukowska Rötzler J, Marti E, Bugno M, Leeb T, Janda J. Molecular cloning and characterization of equine thymic stromal lymphopoietin. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2010;136:346-9 pubmed publisher..The equine TSLP gene is organized in 4 exons and encodes a protein of 143 amino acids, which has 62% amino acid identity with human TSLP. ..
- Hellberg W, Wilson A, Mellor P, Doherr M, Torsteinsdottir S, Zurbriggen A, et al. Equine insect bite hypersensitivity: immunoblot analysis of IgE and IgG subclass responses to Culicoides nubeculosus salivary gland extract. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2006;113:99-112 pubmed..These findings are important for the future development of a specific immunotherapy with recombinant salivary gland allergens...
- Prause A, Guionaud C, Klukowska Rötzler J, Giulotto E, Magnani E, Chowdhary B, et al. Chromosomal assignment of five equine HTR genes by FISH and RH mapping. Anim Genet. 2007;38:83-4 pubmed
- Rüegg S, Torgerson P, Doherr M, Deplazes P, Bose R, Robert N, et al. Equine piroplasmoses at the reintroduction site of the Przewalski's horse (Equus ferus przewalskii) in Mongolia. J Wildl Dis. 2006;42:518-26 pubmed..98 (95% CI: 0.80-1.24, not significant) for B. caballi; in contrast, the prevalence of T. equi in Przewalski's horses was significantly lower than expected (SPR = 0.51, 95% CI: 0.50-0.64). ..
- Pountney D, Fundel S, Faller P, Birchler N, Hunziker P, Vasak M. Isolation, primary structures and metal binding properties of neuronal growth inhibitory factor (GIF) from bovine and equine brain. FEBS Lett. 1994;345:193-7 pubmed..Both bovine Cu1Cd5- and the equine Cu3Cd3-GIF derivatives (Cd replacing Zn) exhibit cadmium-dependent absorption and CD features between 220-260 nm characteristic of Cd-thiolate clusters similar to those in Cd-MTs. ..
- Haase B, Brooks S, Schlumbaum A, Azor P, Bailey E, Alaeddine F, et al. Allelic heterogeneity at the equine KIT locus in dominant white (W) horses. PLoS Genet. 2007;3:e195 pubmed
- Graubner C, Gerber V, Doherr M, Spadavecchia C. Clinical application and reliability of a post abdominal surgery pain assessment scale (PASPAS) in horses. Vet J. 2011;188:178-83 pubmed publisher..PASPAS, which was not influenced by general anaesthesia, was a useful tool to evaluate pain in horses after abdominal surgery and may also be useful to investigate analgesic protocols or for teaching purposes. ..
- Kadner A, Fasnacht M, Kretschmar O, Pretre R. Traumatic free wall and ventricular septal rupture - 'hybrid' management in a child. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2007;31:949-51 pubmed
- Mansuy V, Risold P, Glauser M, Fraichard A, Pralong F. Expression of the GABAA receptor associated protein Gec1 is circadian and dependent upon the cellular clock machinery in GnRH secreting GnV-3 cells. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2009;307:68-76 pubmed publisher..Overall, they provide a potential mechanism for the circadian regulation of GnRH secretion by GABA, and may also be relevant to the general understanding of circadian rhythms. ..
- Berthoud H, Frey J, Kuhnert P. Characterization of Aqx and its operon: the hemolytic RTX determinant of Actinobacillus equuli. Vet Microbiol. 2002;87:159-74 pubmed..The aqx operon was not found in closely related members of the Pasteurellaceae family. The description of the Aqx hemolysin will open new ways for studying the pathogenesis of A. equuli...
- Willerslev E, Davison J, Moora M, Zobel M, Coissac E, Edwards M, et al. Fifty thousand years of Arctic vegetation and megafaunal diet. Nature. 2014;506:47-51 pubmed publisher..Our analyses indicate that both graminoids and forbs would have featured in megafaunal diets. As such, our findings question the predominance of a Late Quaternary graminoid-dominated Arctic mammoth steppe. ..
- Hellberg W, Mellor P, Torsteinsdottir S, Marti E. Insect bite hypersensitivity in the horse: comparison of IgE-binding proteins in salivary gland extracts from Simulium vittatum and Culicoides nubeculosus. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2009;132:62-7 pubmed publisher..nubeculosus reacted with a corresponding band in S. vittatum SGE. The 70 kDa bands from S. vittatum and C. nubeculosus were identified by mass spectrometry as heat shock protein-70-cognate-3...
- Gerber V, de Feijter Rupp H, Wagner J, Venta P, Harkema J, Robinson N. Differential association of MUC5AC and CLCA1 expression in small cartilaginous airways of RAO-affected and control horses. Equine Vet J. 2009;41:817-23 pubmed..These data implicate CLCA1 as a signalling molecule in the expression of eqMUC5AC in horses but also suggest differential regulation by CLCA1 and EGFR between horses with RAO and those with milder degrees of airway inflammation. ..
- Lanz S, Gerber V, Marti E, Rettmer H, Klukowska Rötzler J, Gottstein B, et al. Effect of hay dust extract and cyathostomin antigen stimulation on cytokine expression by PBMC in horses with recurrent airway obstruction. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2013;155:229-37 pubmed publisher..This study shows that analysis of PBMC reveals systemic changes associated with RAO and helps to elucidate immunological pathways involved in this disease. ..
- Lange C, Vetsch E, Ackermann M, Favrot C, Tobler K. Four novel papillomavirus sequences support a broad diversity among equine papillomaviruses. J Gen Virol. 2013;94:1365-72 pubmed publisher..They cluster with the known types and support broad genetic EcPV diversity in at least two of the known clades. Furthermore, PCR assays also provide evidence for EcPV co-infections in horses. ..
- Laumen E, Doherr M, Gerber V. Relationship of horse owner assessed respiratory signs index to characteristics of recurrent airway obstruction in two Warmblood families. Equine Vet J. 2010;42:142-8 pubmed publisher..Owner reports of respiratory signs have shown good repeatability, but the agreement of HOARSI with an in-depth examination of the lower respiratory tract has not been investigated...
- Kummer M, Geyer H, Imboden I, Auer J, Lischer C. The effect of hoof trimming on radiographic measurements of the front feet of normal Warmblood horses. Vet J. 2006;172:58-66 pubmed..The database of the present study can be used by farriers and veterinarians as a guideline for routine and corrective shoeing of Warmblood horses. ..
- Endimiani A, Hujer K, Hujer A, Bertschy I, Rossano A, Koch C, et al. Acinetobacter baumannii isolates from pets and horses in Switzerland: molecular characterization and clinical data. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2011;66:2248-54 pubmed publisher..baumannii detected in human patients. Animals should be considered as a potential reservoir of multidrug-resistant A. baumannii. ..