Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on homeodomain proteins in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: homeodomain proteins
Publications425 found, 100 shown here
- Ghai K, Zelinka C, Fischer A. Serotonin released from amacrine neurons is scavenged and degraded in bipolar neurons in the retina. J Neurochem. 2009;111:1-14 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the serotonin-accumulating bipolar neurons perform glial functions in the retina by actively transporting and degrading serotonin that is synthesized in neighboring amacrine cells. ..
- Manavalan T, Teng Y, Appana S, Datta S, Kalbfleisch T, Li Y, et al. Differential expression of microRNA expression in tamoxifen-sensitive MCF-7 versus tamoxifen-resistant LY2 human breast cancer cells. Cancer Lett. 2011;313:26-43 pubmed publisher..Agreement in the direction of anticipated regulation was detected for 12 putative targets. These miRNAs with opposite expression between the two cell lines may be involved in endocrine resistance. ..
- Golubovskaya V. FAK and Nanog cross talk with p53 in cancer stem cells. Anticancer Agents Med Chem. 2013;13:576-80 pubmed..The cross-linked signaling of FAK with p53 and Nanog signaling in cancer stem cell and function and targeted therapeutics approaches are discussed. ..
- Claussnitzer M, Dankel S, Klocke B, Grallert H, Glunk V, Berulava T, et al. Leveraging cross-species transcription factor binding site patterns: from diabetes risk loci to disease mechanisms. Cell. 2014;156:343-58 pubmed publisher..Thus, cross-species conservation analysis at the level of co-occurring TFBS provides a valuable contribution to the translation of genetic association signals to disease-related molecular mechanisms. ..
- Drosos Y, Neale G, Ye J, Paul L, Kuliyev E, Maitra A, et al. Prox1-Heterozygosis Sensitizes the Pancreas to Oncogenic Kras-Induced Neoplastic Transformation. Neoplasia. 2016;18:172-84 pubmed publisher..Additional data in our study indicate that this novel role of Prox1 involves suppression of pathways associated with inflammatory responses and cell invasiveness. ..
- Gindhart J, King A, Kaufman T. Characterization of the cis-regulatory region of the Drosophila homeotic gene Sex combs reduced. Genetics. 1995;139:781-95 pubmed..This analysis provides an entry point for the study of how Scr transcription is regulated at the molecular level. ..
- Wang D, Ikeda Y, Parker K, Enders G. Germ cell nuclear antigen (GCNA1) expression does not require a gonadal environment or steroidogenic factor 1: examination of GCNA1 in ectopic germ cells and in Ftz-F1 null mice. Mol Reprod Dev. 1997;48:154-8 pubmed..The finding that germ cell GCNA1 expression is not restricted to the gonadal environment and is not dependent on the Ftz-F1 gene products suggests that GCNA1 expression may be initiated in the germ cell lineage by autonomous means. ..
- Qiu M, Shimamura K, Sussel L, Chen S, Rubenstein J. Control of anteroposterior and dorsoventral domains of Nkx-6.1 gene expression relative to other Nkx genes during vertebrate CNS development. Mech Dev. 1998;72:77-88 pubmed..1 expression. While the notochord can induce Nkx-6.1 expression in the anterior neural plate, sonic hedgehog protein does not, suggesting that the notochord produces additional molecules that can regulate ventral patterning. ..
- Song K, Takemaru K, Moon R. A role for xGCNF in midbrain-hindbrain patterning in Xenopus laevis. Dev Biol. 1999;213:170-9 pubmed
- Pan L, Xie Y, Black T, Jones C, Pruitt S, Gross K. An Abd-B class HOX.PBX recognition sequence is required for expression from the mouse Ren-1c gene. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:32489-94 pubmed..These results strongly implicate Abd-B class Hox genes and their cofactors as major determinants of the sites of renin expression. ..
- Howard M, Davidson E. cis-Regulatory control circuits in development. Dev Biol. 2004;271:109-18 pubmed..At this higher level of organization, common bilaterian strategies for specifying progenitor fields, locking down regulatory states, and driving development forward emerge. ..
- Wang Y, Kellner J, Liu L, Zhou D. Inhibition of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase promotes ex vivo hematopoietic stem cell expansion. Stem Cells Dev. 2011;20:1143-52 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that p38 plays an important role in the regulation of HSC self-renewal in vitro and inhibition of p38 activation with a small molecule inhibitor may represent a novel approach to promote ex vivo expansion of HSCs. ..
- Young J, Whiddon J, Yao Z, Kasinathan B, Snider L, Geng L, et al. DUX4 binding to retroelements creates promoters that are active in FSHD muscle and testis. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003947 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate a role for DUX4 and repetitive elements in mammalian germline evolution and in FSHD muscular dystrophy. ..
- Harmon J, Stein R, Robertson R. Oxidative stress-mediated, post-translational loss of MafA protein as a contributing mechanism to loss of insulin gene expression in glucotoxic beta cells. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:11107-13 pubmed..001). We conclude that the absence of MafA protein from beta cells via chronic oxidative stress contributes importantly to the loss of endogenous insulin gene expression as glucose toxicity develops. ..
- Eaton J, Glasgow E. The zebrafish bHLH PAS transcriptional regulator, single-minded 1 (sim1), is required for isotocin cell development. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:2071-82 pubmed..We provide evidence that the role of sim1 in zebrafish neuroendocrine cell development is evolutionarily conserved with that of mammals. ..
- Mitchell J, Hicklin D, Doughty P, Hicklin J, Dickert J, Tolbert S, et al. The Prx1 homeobox gene is critical for molar tooth morphogenesis. J Dent Res. 2006;85:888-93 pubmed..Analysis of these data suggests that the Prx homeoproteins are critical for mesenchymal-epithelial signaling during tooth morphogenesis. ..
- Hersh B, Nelson C, Stoll S, Norton J, Albert T, Carroll S. The UBX-regulated network in the haltere imaginal disc of D. melanogaster. Dev Biol. 2007;302:717-27 pubmed..The evolution of haltere morphology involved changes in UBX-regulated target genes, both positive and negative, throughout the wing genetic regulatory network. ..
- Hittinger C, Carroll S. Evolution of an insect-specific GROUCHO-interaction motif in the ENGRAILED selector protein. Evol Dev. 2008;10:537-45 pubmed publisher..The acquisition and conservation of this auxiliary peptide motif shows how the number and activity of short peptide motifs can evolve in transcription factors while existing regulatory functions are maintained. ..
- Xing D, Zhao H, Li Q. Arabidopsis CLP1-SIMILAR PROTEIN3, an ortholog of human polyadenylation factor CLP1, functions in gametophyte, embryo, and postembryonic development. Plant Physiol. 2008;148:2059-69 pubmed publisher..These observations indicate that Arabidopsis CLPS3 might be involved in the processing of pre-mRNAs encoded by a distinct subset of genes that are important in plant development. ..
- Cooper K, Sears K, Uygur A, Maier J, Baczkowski K, Brosnahan M, et al. Patterning and post-patterning modes of evolutionary digit loss in mammals. Nature. 2014;511:41-5 pubmed publisher..Together these data demonstrate remarkable plasticity in the mechanisms of vertebrate limb evolution and shed light on the complexity of morphological convergence, particularly within the artiodactyl lineage. ..
- Riedl A, Jacobs Lorena M. Determinants of Drosophila fushi tarazu mRNA instability. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:3047-53 pubmed..Lack of homology between this element and other previously identified destabilization sequences suggests that FIE3 contains a novel RNA destabilization element. ..
- Frisch R, Singleton K, Moses P, Gonzalez I, Carango P, Marks H, et al. Effect of triplet repeat expansion on chromatin structure and expression of DMPK and neighboring genes, SIX5 and DMWD, in myotonic dystrophy. Mol Genet Metab. 2001;74:281-91 pubmed..These results suggest that the CTG repeat expansion leads to a decrease in DMPK mRNA levels by affecting splicing at the 3' end of the DMPK pre-mRNA transcript. ..
- Fischer A, McGuire C, Dierks B, Reh T. Insulin and fibroblast growth factor 2 activate a neurogenic program in Müller glia of the chicken retina. J Neurosci. 2002;22:9387-98 pubmed..These findings imply that exogenous growth factors might be used to stimulate endogenous glial cells to regenerate neurons in the CNS. ..
- Zayzafoon M, Abdulkadir S, McDonald J. Notch signaling and ERK activation are important for the osteomimetic properties of prostate cancer bone metastatic cell lines. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:3662-70 pubmed..These studies demonstrate that prostate cancer bone metastatic cell lines acquire osteoblastic properties through independent activation of ERK and Notch signaling; presumably, both pathways are activated in the bone microenvironment. ..
- Liu P, Kaufman T. even-skipped is not a pair-rule gene but has segmental and gap-like functions in Oncopeltus fasciatus, an intermediate germband insect. Development. 2005;132:2081-92 pubmed..Given the large RNAi deletion phenotype and its regulation of hunchback and Krüppel, even-skipped seems to act as an über-gap gene in Oncopeltus, indicating that it may have both upstream and downstream roles in segmentation...
- Bush K, Vaughn D, Li X, Rosenfeld M, Rose D, Mendoza S, et al. Development and differentiation of the ureteric bud into the ureter in the absence of a kidney collecting system. Dev Biol. 2006;298:571-84 pubmed
- Ferrari D, Kosher R. Expression of Dlx5 and Dlx6 during specification of the elbow joint. Int J Dev Biol. 2006;50:709-13 pubmed..These results suggest that Dlx genes may be involved in specification of the elbow joint and/or in providing positional information that specifies the site at which the elbow joint will form. ..
- Monteiro A, Glaser G, Stockslager S, Glansdorp N, Ramos D. Comparative insights into questions of lepidopteran wing pattern homology. BMC Dev Biol. 2006;6:52 pubmed..Eyespots with concentric rings may have co-opted a wound healing genetic network during their evolution. ..
- Weasner B, Salzer C, Kumar J. Sine oculis, a member of the SIX family of transcription factors, directs eye formation. Dev Biol. 2007;303:756-71 pubmed..Taken together, these results shed new light on the role that so plays in eye specification. ..
- Weiss G, Goldsmith L, Taylor R, Bellet D, Taylor H. Inflammation in reproductive disorders. Reprod Sci. 2009;16:216-29 pubmed publisher..A better understanding of the necessary role of inflammation in reproduction will allow more rational and targeted treatment of inflammatory disorders in reproductive medicine. ..
- Fischer A, Bongini R, Bastaki N, Sherwood P. The maturation of photoreceptors in the avian retina is stimulated by thyroid hormone. Neuroscience. 2011;178:250-60 pubmed publisher..We conclude that TH stimulates the maturation of photoreceptors in the avian retina. We propose that TH inhibits the expression of Islet2 and Lim3, which thereby permits photoreceptor maturation and the onset of photopigment-expression. ..
- Das S, Lim H, Paria B, Dey S. Cyclin D3 in the mouse uterus is associated with the decidualization process during early pregnancy. J Mol Endocrinol. 1999;22:91-101 pubmed..Collectively, the results suggest that cyclin D3 could be important for the process of decidualization. ..
- Fischer A, Reh T. Müller glia are a potential source of neural regeneration in the postnatal chicken retina. Nat Neurosci. 2001;4:247-52 pubmed..We propose that, in response to damage, Müller glia in the retina are a potential source of neural regeneration. ..
- Zhu J, Chen L, Raikhel A. Posttranscriptional control of the competence factor betaFTZ-F1 by juvenile hormone in the mosquito Aedes aegypti. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:13338-43 pubmed..Thus, betaFTZ-F1 is indeed the factor defining the acquisition of competence to 20E in the mosquito fat body. Moreover, this is achieved through JH III-mediated posttranscriptional control of betaFTZ-F1. ..
- Eun S, Lea K, Overstreet E, Stevens S, Lee J, Fischer J. Identification of genes that interact with Drosophila liquid facets. Genetics. 2007;175:1163-74 pubmed..We describe the mutant alleles and mutant phenotypes of Rala and aux. We discuss the relevance of all of these genetic interactions to the function of Liquid facets in Notch signaling. ..
- Ozawa M, Sakatani M, Hankowski K, Terada N, Dobbs K, Hansen P. Importance of culture conditions during the morula-to-blastocyst period on capacity of inner cell-mass cells of bovine blastocysts for establishment of self-renewing pluripotent cells. Theriogenology. 2012;78:1243-51.e1-2 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, exposure to inhibitors during the morula-blastocyst transition facilitated formation of self-renewing pluripotent cell lines from bovine blastocysts...
- Lim H, Ma L, Ma W, Maas R, Dey S. Hoxa-10 regulates uterine stromal cell responsiveness to progesterone during implantation and decidualization in the mouse. Mol Endocrinol. 1999;13:1005-17 pubmed..Collectively, these results suggest that Hoxa-10 mutation causes specific stromal cell defects that can lead to implantation and decidualization defects apparently without perturbing epithelial cell functions. ..
- Zhong R, Ye Z. IFL1, a gene regulating interfascicular fiber differentiation in Arabidopsis, encodes a homeodomain-leucine zipper protein. Plant Cell. 1999;11:2139-52 pubmed..Our results provide direct evidence that an HD-ZIP protein plays a role in the spatial control of fiber differentiation. ..
- Swanson D, Adachi M, Lewis E. The homeodomain protein Arix promotes protein kinase A-dependent activation of the dopamine beta-hydroxylase promoter through multiple elements and interaction with the coactivator cAMP-response element-binding protein-binding protein. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:2911-23 pubmed
- Adachi M, Browne D, Lewis E. Paired-like homeodomain proteins Phox2a/Arix and Phox2b/NBPhox have similar genetic organization and independently regulate dopamine beta-hydroxylase gene transcription. DNA Cell Biol. 2000;19:539-54 pubmed..We conclude from this study that Arix and NBPhox exhibit indistinguishable and independent transcriptional regulatory properties on the DBH promoter. ..
- Weinmann A, Bartley S, Zhang T, Zhang M, Farnham P. Use of chromatin immunoprecipitation to clone novel E2F target promoters. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:6820-32 pubmed
- Xing Y, Liu D, Zhang R, Joachimiak A, Songyang Z, Xu W. Structural basis of membrane targeting by the Phox homology domain of cytokine-independent survival kinase (CISK-PX). J Biol Chem. 2004;279:30662-9 pubmed..Furthermore, biochemical studies reveal that CISK-PX dimerizes in the presence of the linker between the PX domain and kinase domain, suggesting a multivalent mechanism in membrane localization of CISK. ..
- Holcroft N. A molecular analysis of the interrelationships of tetraodontiform fishes (Acanthomorpha: Tetraodontiformes). Mol Phylogenet Evol. 2005;34:525-44 pubmed..Many of the intrafamilial relationships recovered from the molecular data presented here corroborate previous morphological hypotheses...
- Tang D, Cao L, Chou W, Shun L, Farag C, Atkinson M, et al. Role of Pax4 in Pdx1-VP16-mediated liver-to-endocrine pancreas transdifferentiation. Lab Invest. 2006;86:829-41 pubmed..These studies indicate that activation of Pax4 in Pdx1-VP16-expressing cells reprograms pancreatic precursor-like WB-1 cells into glucose-responsive, more mature insulin-producing cells. ..
- Bolduc N, Hake S. The maize transcription factor KNOTTED1 directly regulates the gibberellin catabolism gene ga2ox1. Plant Cell. 2009;21:1647-58 pubmed publisher..The KN1 binding site is conserved in ga2ox1 genes of different grasses, suggesting that the local regulation of bioactive GA levels through KNOX proteins is a common theme in grasses. ..
- Fernandez Zapico M, Van Velkinburgh J, Gutierrez Aguilar R, Neve B, Froguel P, Urrutia R, et al. MODY7 gene, KLF11, is a novel p300-dependent regulator of Pdx-1 (MODY4) transcription in pancreatic islet beta cells. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:36482-90 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, because KLF11 like most MODY-associated transcription factors uses p300, these data further support a role for this coactivator as a critical chromatin link in forms of type 2 diabetes. ..
- Maddodi N, Bhat K, Devi S, Zhang S, Setaluri V. Oncogenic BRAFV600E induces expression of neuronal differentiation marker MAP2 in melanoma cells by promoter demethylation and down-regulation of transcription repressor HES1. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:242-54 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that BRAF oncogene levels can regulate melanoma neuronal differentiation and tumor progression. ..
- Bandyopadhyay S, Harris D, Adams G, Lause G, McHugh A, Tillmaand E, et al. HOXA9 methylation by PRMT5 is essential for endothelial cell expression of leukocyte adhesion molecules. Mol Cell Biol. 2012;32:1202-13 pubmed publisher..In summary, PRMT5 is a critical coactivator component in a newly defined, HOXA9-containing transcription complex. Moreover, stimulus-dependent methylation of HOXA9 is essential for ELAM expression during the EC inflammatory response. ..
- Lee J, Lee B, Gross J. Bcl6a function is required during optic cup formation to prevent p53-dependent apoptosis and colobomata. Hum Mol Genet. 2013;22:3568-82 pubmed publisher..Together, these data support a model in which p53-dependent apoptosis needs to be tightly regulated for normal optic cup formation and that Bcl6a, Bcor, Rnf2 and Hdac1 activities mediate this regulation. ..
- Cao W, Kayama H, Chen M, Delmas A, Sun A, Kim S, et al. The Xenobiotic Transporter Mdr1 Enforces T Cell Homeostasis in the Presence of Intestinal Bile Acids. Immunity. 2017;47:1182-1196.e10 pubmed publisher..Further, a subset of ileal Crohn's disease patients displayed MDR1 loss of function. Together, these results suggest that coordinated interaction between mucosal Teff cells and CBAs in the ileum regulate intestinal immune homeostasis. ..
- Brown S, Hilgenfeld R, Denell R. The beetle Tribolium castaneum has a fushi tarazu homolog expressed in stripes during segmentation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:12922-6 pubmed..These and other observations demonstrate that a ftz gene preexisted the radiation of holometabolous insects and suggest that it has a role in beetle embryogenesis which differs somewhat from that described in flies. ..
- POPADIC A, Abzhanov A, Rusch D, Kaufman T. Understanding the genetic basis of morphological evolution: the role of homeotic genes in the diversification of the arthropod bauplan. Int J Dev Biol. 1998;42:453-61 pubmed..Overall, these preliminary studies illustrate the role that some of the Hox genes expressed in the insect head have played in the morphological evolution of hexapods and likely arthropods in general. ..
- Liu J, Kao W, Wilson S. Corneal epithelium-specific mouse keratin K12 promoter. Exp Eye Res. 1999;68:295-301 pubmed..The paired box homeotic gene 6 (PAX-6), which is involved in controlling eye development, stimulated the activity of keratin K12 promoter. ..
- Ferda Percin E, Ploder L, Yu J, Arici K, Horsford D, Rutherford A, et al. Human microphthalmia associated with mutations in the retinal homeobox gene CHX10. Nat Genet. 2000;25:397-401 pubmed..The strong conservation in vertebrates of the CHX10 sequence, pattern of expression and loss-of-function phenotypes demonstrates the evolutionary importance of the genetic network through which this gene regulates eye development. ..
- Duncan M, Cui W, Oh D, Tomarev S. Prox1 is differentially localized during lens development. Mech Dev. 2002;112:195-8 pubmed..Thus, it appears that the function of Prox1, like that of its Drosophila cognate Prospero, is at least partially controlled by changes in its subcellular distribution during development. ..
- Scemama J, Hunter M, McCallum J, Prince V, Stellwag E. Evolutionary divergence of vertebrate Hoxb2 expression patterns and transcriptional regulatory loci. J Exp Zool. 2002;294:285-99 pubmed
- Braendle C, Miura T, Bickel R, Shingleton A, Kambhampati S, Stern D. Developmental origin and evolution of bacteriocytes in the aphid-Buchnera symbiosis. PLoS Biol. 2003;1:E21 pubmed..The evolutionary transition to a symbiosis in which bacteria and an aphid cell form a functional unit, similar to the origin of plastids, has apparently involved extensive molecular adaptations on the part of the host cell. ..
- Zhao H, Yang Y, Rizo C, Overbeek P, Robinson M. Insertion of a Pax6 consensus binding site into the alphaA-crystallin promoter acts as a lens epithelial cell enhancer in transgenic mice. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2004;45:1930-9 pubmed..The inclusion of a Pax6 consensus binding site within the -282/+43 alphaA-crystallin promoter enhances the ability of this promoter to drive transgene expression in the lens epithelium. ..
- Duncan M, Xie L, David L, Robinson M, Taube J, Cui W, et al. Ectopic Pax6 expression disturbs lens fiber cell differentiation. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2004;45:3589-98 pubmed..The data demonstrate that high levels of Pax6 expression disrupt normal fiber cell differentiation and maturation. ..
- Harris B, Spruill L, Edmonson A, Rackley M, Benson D, O Brien T, et al. Differentiation of cardiac Purkinje fibers requires precise spatiotemporal regulation of Nkx2-5 expression. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:38-49 pubmed..We conclude that a prerequisite for normal Purkinje fiber maturation is precise regulation of Nkx2-5 levels. ..
- Garzon R, Pichiorri F, Palumbo T, Iuliano R, Cimmino A, Aqeilan R, et al. MicroRNA fingerprints during human megakaryocytopoiesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:5078-83 pubmed..Our data delineate the expression of microRNAs during megakaryocytopoiesis and suggest a regulatory role of microRNAs in this process by targeting megakaryocytic transcription factors. ..
- Pinsonneault R, Vacek P, O Neill J, Finette B. Induction of V(D)J-mediated recombination of an extrachromosomal substrate following exposure to DNA-damaging agents. Environ Mol Mutagen. 2007;48:440-50 pubmed
- Mo Z, Zecevic N. Is Pax6 critical for neurogenesis in the human fetal brain?. Cereb Cortex. 2008;18:1455-65 pubmed
- Xu R, Sampsell Barron T, Gu F, Root S, Peck R, Pan G, et al. NANOG is a direct target of TGFbeta/activin-mediated SMAD signaling in human ESCs. Cell Stem Cell. 2008;3:196-206 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that direct binding of TGFbeta/Activin-responsive SMADs to the NANOG promoter plays an essential role in sustaining human ESC self-renewal. ..
- Sanek N, Taylor A, Nyholm M, Grinblat Y. Zebrafish zic2a patterns the forebrain through modulation of Hedgehog-activated gene expression. Development. 2009;136:3791-800 pubmed publisher..These data uncover a novel, essential role for Zic2a as a modulator of Hh-activated gene expression in the developing forebrain and advance our understanding of a key gene regulatory network that, when disrupted, causes HPE. ..
- Bingham S, Sittaramane V, Mapp O, Patil S, Prince V, Chandrasekhar A. Multiple mechanisms mediate motor neuron migration in the zebrafish hindbrain. Dev Neurobiol. 2010;70:87-99 pubmed publisher..Together, the hoxb1b and val experiments suggest that multiple mechanisms regulate motor neuron migration along the AP axis of the zebrafish hindbrain. ..
- Chung S, Leung A, Han B, Chang M, Moon J, Kim C, et al. Wnt1-lmx1a forms a novel autoregulatory loop and controls midbrain dopaminergic differentiation synergistically with the SHH-FoxA2 pathway. Cell Stem Cell. 2009;5:646-58 pubmed publisher..Together with previous works, this study shows that two regulatory loops (Wnt1-Lmx1a and SHH-FoxA2) critically link extrinsic signals to cell-intrinsic factors and cooperatively regulate mDA neuron development. ..
- Nehme R, Grote P, Tomasi T, Loser S, Holzkamp H, Schnabel R, et al. Transcriptional upregulation of both egl-1 BH3-only and ced-3 caspase is required for the death of the male-specific CEM neurons. Cell Death Differ. 2010;17:1266-76 pubmed publisher..Finally, we present evidence that the timing of the death of the CEMs is controlled by TRA-1 Gli, the terminal global regulator of somatic sexual fate in C. elegans. ..
- Dye C, El Shawa H, Huffman K. A lifespan analysis of intraneocortical connections and gene expression in the mouse II. Cereb Cortex. 2011;21:1331-50 pubmed publisher..In this study, we correlate the boundaries of gene expression patterns with developing areal boundaries across a lifespan, in order to better understand the nature of gene-areal relationships from early postnatal life to adulthood. ..
- Hodge R, Garcia A, Elsen G, Nelson B, Mussar K, Reiner S, et al. Tbr2 expression in Cajal-Retzius cells and intermediate neuronal progenitors is required for morphogenesis of the dentate gyrus. J Neurosci. 2013;33:4165-80 pubmed publisher..These studies indicate that Tbr2 is explicitly required for morphogenesis of the DG and participates in multiple aspects of the intricate developmental process of this structure. ..
- Karlsson F, Martinez N, Gray L, Zhang S, Tsunoda I, Grisham M. Therapeutic evaluation of ex vivo-generated versus natural regulatory T-cells in a mouse model of chronic gut inflammation. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2013;19:2282-94 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that the immunosuppressive activity of iTregs may be because of their ability to directly or indirectly decrease expression of IL-6 and IL-17A within the inflamed bowel. ..
- Zhao D, Ma G, Zhang X, He Y, Li M, Han X, et al. Zinc Finger Homeodomain Factor Zfhx3 Is Essential for Mammary Lactogenic Differentiation by Maintaining Prolactin Signaling Activity. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:12809-20 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that Zfhx3 plays an essential role in proper lactogenic development in mammary glands, at least in part by maintaining Prlr expression and Prlr-Jak2-Stat5 signaling activity. ..
- Cribbs D, Benassayag C, Randazzo F, Kaufman T. Levels of homeotic protein function can determine developmental identity: evidence from low-level expression of the Drosophila homeotic gene proboscipedia under Hsp70 control. EMBO J. 1995;14:767-78 pubmed..These observations support a crucial role for quantitative aspects of pb function in determining segmental identity, including cross-regulatory events involved in this determination. ..
- Chen X, Meyerowitz E. HUA1 and HUA2 are two members of the floral homeotic AGAMOUS pathway. Mol Cell. 1999;3:349-60 pubmed..Molecular analyses suggest that HUA2 (and possibly HUA1) acts to facilitate AG action at the same hierarchical level as AG. ..
- Daggett M, Rice D, Heckert L. Expression of steroidogenic factor 1 in the testis requires an E box and CCAAT box in its promoter proximal region. Biol Reprod. 2000;62:670-9 pubmed..The presence of multiple protein complexes binding these sites suggests that regulation through these elements may involve interactions with different factors that depend on the state of the cell and its environment. ..
- Gissendanner C, Sluder A. nhr-25, the Caenorhabditis elegans ortholog of ftz-f1, is required for epidermal and somatic gonad development. Dev Biol. 2000;221:259-72 pubmed..In addition, somatic gonad development is defective in these larvae. These results further establish the importance of FTZ-F1 nuclear receptors in molting and developmental control across evolutionarily distant phyla. ..
- Brendza R, Serbus L, Duffy J, Saxton W. A function for kinesin I in the posterior transport of oskar mRNA and Staufen protein. Science. 2000;289:2120-2 pubmed..Thus, a complex containing oskar mRNA and Staufen may be transported along microtubules to the posterior pole by kinesin I. ..
- Tümpel S, Maconochie M, Wiedemann L, Krumlauf R. Conservation and diversity in the cis-regulatory networks that integrate information controlling expression of Hoxa2 in hindbrain and cranial neural crest cells in vertebrates. Dev Biol. 2002;246:45-56 pubmed..This provides insight into how apparently equivalent regulatory regions from the same gene in different species have evolved different components to potentiate their activity in combination with a selection of core components. ..
- Thummel R, Li L, Tanase C, Sarras M, Godwin A. Differences in expression pattern and function between zebrafish hoxc13 orthologs: recruitment of Hoxc13b into an early embryonic role. Dev Biol. 2004;274:318-33 pubmed..The extent of the delay does not change through 20 hpf; however, an additional delay emerges at this time. Notably, this second phase of the delay correlates with hoxc13b expression pattern becoming restricted to the tail bud. ..
- Jing H, Yen J, Ganea D. A novel signaling pathway mediates the inhibition of CCL3/4 expression by prostaglandin E2. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:55176-86 pubmed..The direct link between CDP and CCL3/4 transcription was established in knock-down experiments using CDP small interference RNA. ..
- McGannon P, Miyazaki Y, Gupta P, Traboulsi E, Colmenares C. Ocular abnormalities in mice lacking the Ski proto-oncogene. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2006;47:4231-7 pubmed..This study involved a novel mouse model of PHPV, generated by a null mutation of the Ski proto-oncogene, that displays other anterior segment and retinal malformations often found in human cases of PHPV...
- Salisbury T, Binder A, Grammer J, Nilson J. Maximal activity of the luteinizing hormone beta-subunit gene requires beta-catenin. Mol Endocrinol. 2007;21:963-71 pubmed..Thus, these data identify beta-catenin as a new and required member of the basal transcriptional complex that allows the LHB promoter to achieve maximal activity in response to GnRH. ..
- Behbakht K, Qamar L, Aldridge C, Coletta R, Davidson S, Thorburn A, et al. Six1 overexpression in ovarian carcinoma causes resistance to TRAIL-mediated apoptosis and is associated with poor survival. Cancer Res. 2007;67:3036-42 pubmed
- McArthur T, Ohtoshi A. A brain-specific homeobox gene, Bsx, is essential for proper postnatal growth and nursing. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:5120-7 pubmed..These results demonstrate that Bsx is required for postnatal growth and maintenance of lactating mammary glands. Thus, mouse Bsx is likely involved in systemic control of suppression of apoptosis of postpartum mammary epithelial cells. ..
- Irvine S, Cangiano M, Millette B, Gutter E. Non-overlapping expression patterns of the clustered Dll-A/B genes in the ascidian Ciona intestinalis. J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol. 2007;308:428-41 pubmed publisher..The enhancer sharing prevents breakup of the cluster while the independent temporal suppressors hide the presence of the shared enhancers...
- Hebert S, Simmons C, Thompson A, Zorc C, Blalock E, Kraner S. Basic helix-loop-helix factors recruit nuclear factor I to enhance expression of the NaV 1.4 Na+ channel gene. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2007;1769:649-58 pubmed..Mutation of the NFI-binding sites diminished the ability of myogenin and MRF4 to counteract repression. Based on these observations we suggest that bHLH factors recruit NFI to enhance skeletal muscle Na(+) channel expression. ..
- Dong F, Yang X, Sreejayan N, Ren J. Chromium (D-phenylalanine)3 improves obesity-induced cardiac contractile defect in ob/ob mice. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2007;15:2699-711 pubmed..Our data suggest that the new Cr(d-phe)(3) compound possesses better cardio-protective and insulin-sensitizing properties against obesity. ..
- Elshatory Y, Gan L. The LIM-homeobox gene Islet-1 is required for the development of restricted forebrain cholinergic neurons. J Neurosci. 2008;28:3291-7 pubmed publisher..Together, these results demonstrate the requirement for Isl1 in the development of restricted telencephalic cholinergic neurons and link the development of cholinergic neurons in anatomically disparate sites to Isl1 function. ..
- Salzer C, Kumar J. Position dependent responses to discontinuities in the retinal determination network. Dev Biol. 2009;326:121-30 pubmed publisher..Taken together these results suggest that the complexities of development are best appreciated when spatial and temporal information is incorporated when describing gene regulatory networks. ..