Experts and Doctors on histamine h2 antagonists in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: histamine h2 antagonists
- Tutuian R, Vela M, Hill E, Mainie I, Agrawal A, Castell D. Characteristics of symptomatic reflux episodes on Acid suppressive therapy. Am J Gastroenterol. 2008;103:1090-6 pubmed publisher..Reflux episodes extending proximally and having a mixed (liquid-gas) composition are significantly associated with symptoms, irrespective of whether pH is acid (<4) or nonacid (>/=4). ..
- Goel G, Deshpande A, Lopez R, Hall G, van Duin D, Carey W. Increased rate of spontaneous bacterial peritonitis among cirrhotic patients receiving pharmacologic acid suppression. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2012;10:422-7 pubmed publisher..Prospective studies are needed to determine the mechanism of this association and to determine whether reduced use of PPIs and H2-receptor antagonists reduce the incidence of SBP. ..
- Ford C. Evaluation and management of laryngopharyngeal reflux. JAMA. 2005;294:1534-40 pubmed..Multichannel intraluminal impedance and pH-monitoring studies are most useful in confirming LPR and assessing the magnitude of the problem. ..
- Wang X, Boffito M, Zhang J, Chung E, Zhu L, Wu Y, et al. Effects of the H2-receptor antagonist famotidine on the pharmacokinetics of atazanavir-ritonavir with or without tenofovir in HIV-infected patients. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2011;25:509-15 pubmed publisher..This supports the current dose recommendations for coadministration of an H(2)-receptor antagonist with atazanavir/ritonavir. ..
- Madan A, Minocha A. Despite high satisfaction, majority of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease patients continue to use proton pump inhibitors after antireflux surgery. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2006;23:601-5 pubmed..Most patients continue to use antireflux medications including after laparoscopic Nissen fundoplication despite high satisfaction with surgery. ..
- Ahmed T, Khandwala F, Abelson T, Hicks D, Richter J, Milstein C, et al. Chronic laryngitis associated with gastroesophageal reflux: prospective assessment of differences in practice patterns between gastroenterologists and ENT physicians. Am J Gastroenterol. 2006;101:470-8 pubmed..4) Our study highlights a need for cross communication and education between these two disciplines in understanding and treating GERD-related laryngitis better. ..
- Mainie I, Tutuian R, Castell D. Addition of a H2 receptor antagonist to PPI improves acid control and decreases nocturnal acid breakthrough. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2008;42:676-9 pubmed publisher..18.0+/-3.0). The addition of a bedtime H2RA reduces the percentage time of the intragastric pH<4 and also NAB. H2RA should be considered as adjunct therapy in whom greater suppression of gastric acid control is considered desirable. ..
- Bonatti H, Bammer T, Achem S, Lukens F, DeVault K, Klaus A, et al. Use of acid suppressive medications after laparoscopic antireflux surgery: prevalence and clinical indications. Dig Dis Sci. 2007;52:267-72 pubmed..Nearly half of patients consuming ARS after LARS are taking these medications for symptoms not necessarily related to GER. These findings underscore the importance of patient education in the use of these agents. ..
- Storer R, Aciro C, Jones L. Squaramides: physical properties, synthesis and applications. Chem Soc Rev. 2011;40:2330-46 pubmed publisher..In this tutorial review the fundamental electronic and structural properties of squaramides are explored to rationalise the geometry, conformation, reactivity and biological activity. ..
- Lazarus B, Chen Y, Wilson F, Sang Y, Chang A, Coresh J, et al. Proton Pump Inhibitor Use and the Risk of Chronic Kidney Disease. JAMA Intern Med. 2016;176:238-46 pubmed publisher..15; 95% CI, 1.09-1.21). Proton pump inhibitor use is associated with a higher risk of incident CKD. Future research should evaluate whether limiting PPI use reduces the incidence of CKD. ..
- Li Y, Chi L, Stechschulte D, Dileepan K. Histamine-induced production of interleukin-6 and interleukin-8 by human coronary artery endothelial cells is enhanced by endotoxin and tumor necrosis factor-alpha. Microvasc Res. 2001;61:253-62 pubmed..These results indicate the importance of synergy between histamine and other inflammatory stimuli on endothelial cell activation and implicate their cooperative participation in vascular leak and inflammation. ..
- McCord J, Beasley J, Halliwill J. H2-receptor-mediated vasodilation contributes to postexercise hypotension. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2006;100:67-75 pubmed..Ingestion of ranitidine markedly reduces vasodilation after exercise and blunts postexercise hypotension, suggesting H2-receptor-mediated vasodilation contributes to postexercise hypotension. ..
- Fackler W, Ours T, Vaezi M, Richter J. Long-term effect of H2RA therapy on nocturnal gastric acid breakthrough. Gastroenterology. 2002;122:625-32 pubmed..Because of H2RA tolerance, there is no difference in acid suppression between PPI twice daily and PPI twice daily + H2RA after 1 week of combination therapy. ..
- Dominitz J, Dire C, Billingsley K, Todd Stenberg J. Complications and antireflux medication use after antireflux surgery. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2006;4:299-305 pubmed..Therefore, before surgery is performed, patients considering surgery should be counseled fully about the risk for complications and the likelihood of continued antireflux medication use. ..
- Hellerstein S, Berenbom M, Erwin P, Wilson N, DiMaggio S. The ratio of urinary cystatin C to urinary creatinine for detecting decreased GFR. Pediatr Nephrol. 2004;19:521-5 pubmed..0% for identification of children with GFR < or =60 ml/min per 1.73 m(2). The false-positive rate is 16.1%. The u[cystatin C/Cr] ratio is a reliable screening tool for detecting decreased GFR that does not require a serum sample. ..
- Priziola J, Smythe M, Dager W. Drug-induced thrombocytopenia in critically ill patients. Crit Care Med. 2010;38:S145-54 pubmed publisher..This review focuses on immune-mediated drug-induced thrombocytopenia from medications commonly utilized in the critically ill patient. ..
- Wijarnpreecha K, Thongprayoon C, Chesdachai S, Panjawatanana P, Ungprasert P, Cheungpasitporn W. Associations of Proton-Pump Inhibitors and H2 Receptor Antagonists with Chronic Kidney Disease: A Meta-Analysis. Dig Dis Sci. 2017;62:2821-2827 pubmed publisher..29 (95% CI 1.22-1.36). Our study demonstrates statistically significant 1.3-fold increased risks of CKD and ESRD in patients using PPIs, but not in patients using H2RAs. ..
- Xia Y, Fertel R, Wood J. Stimulation of formation of adenosine 3',5'-phosphate by histamine in myenteric ganglia isolated from guinea-pig small intestine. Eur J Pharmacol. 1996;316:81-5 pubmed..We conclude that histamine acts at the histamine H2 receptor subtype to stimulate adenylate cyclase and the formation of cAMP in myenteric ganglia of the guinea-pig small bowel...
- Dublin S, Walker R, Jackson M, Nelson J, Weiss N, Jackson L. Use of proton pump inhibitors and H2 blockers and risk of pneumonia in older adults: a population-based case-control study. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2010;19:792-802 pubmed publisher..32, 95% CI 1.17-1.49, for current PPI use versus nonuse). Use of PPIs and H2 blockers is not associated with increased pneumonia risk in older adults. The increased risk observed in some prior studies may reflect confounding. ..
- McCallum R, Zarling E, Goetsch A, Griffin C, Sarosiek I, Hejazi R, et al. Multicenter, double-blind, placebo-controlled crossover study to assess the acute prokinetic efficacy of nizatidine-controlled release (150 and 300 mg) in patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease. Am J Med Sci. 2010;340:259-63 pubmed publisher..05) at 3- and 4-hour postmeal. Nizatidine CR (150 and 300 mg) significantly enhanced gastric emptying of a standard meal in patients with GERD with DGE. ..
- Lucas L, Gerrity M, Anderson T. A practice-based approach for converting from proton pump inhibitors to less costly therapy. Eff Clin Pract. 2001;4:263-70 pubmed..The number of PPI prescriptions decreased during the intervention and was sustained at least three quarters afterward. This low-intensity, practice-based intervention may serve as a model for other health care systems. ..
- Paul K, Redman C, Chen M. Effectiveness and safety of nizatidine, 75 mg, for the relief of episodic heartburn. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2001;15:1571-7 pubmed..Nizatidine, 75 mg, is a safe and effective treatment for episodic heartburn. The results showed that subjects taking nizatidine had heartburn relief that was achieved faster and/or more reliably than did subjects taking placebo. ..
- Deshpande A, Pasupuleti V, Thota P, Pant C, Mapara S, Hassan S, et al. Acid-suppressive therapy is associated with spontaneous bacterial peritonitis in cirrhotic patients: a meta-analysis. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2013;28:235-42 pubmed publisher..Prospective studies may help clarify this relationship and shed light on the mechanism(s) by which acid-suppressive therapy increases the risk of SBP in hospitalized patients with cirrhosis. ..
- Biswas S, Benedict S, Lynch S, Levine S. Potential immunological consequences of pharmacological suppression of gastric acid production in patients with multiple sclerosis. BMC Med. 2012;10:57 pubmed publisher..Here, we review possible roles of gastric acid inhibitors on immunopathogenic mechanisms associated with multiple sclerosis...
- Stevens V, Dumyati G, Brown J, Wijngaarden E. Differential risk of Clostridium difficile infection with proton pump inhibitor use by level of antibiotic exposure. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2011;20:1035-42 pubmed publisher..Further study is needed to elucidate possible mechanisms for the observed effect. ..
- Kapur S, Barbhaiya C, Deneke T, Michaud G. Esophageal Injury and Atrioesophageal Fistula Caused by Ablation for Atrial Fibrillation. Circulation. 2017;136:1247-1255 pubmed publisher..Outcomes for esophageal stenting are poor in AEF. Aggressive intervention with skilled cardiac and thoracic surgeons may improve chances of stroke-free survival for all types of esophageal perforation. ..
- McCoole M, Baer K, Christie A. Histaminergic signaling in the central nervous system of Daphnia and a role for it in the control of phototactic behavior. J Exp Biol. 2011;214:1773-82 pubmed publisher..Taken collectively, our results show that an extensive histaminergic system is present in Daphnia species, including the visual system, and that this amine is involved in the control of phototaxis in these animals. ..
- Hussain S, Stefan M, Visintainer P, Rothberg M. Why do physicians prescribe stress ulcer prophylaxis to general medicine patients?. South Med J. 2010;103:1103-10 pubmed publisher..Educating physicians about the adverse effects of acid suppression therapy and about existing national guidelines might reduce inappropriate prescribing. ..
- DeVault K, Talley N. Insights into the future of gastric acid suppression. Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2009;6:524-32 pubmed publisher..This Review provides an update on the status of acid-suppression therapy and discusses directions for future research...
- Rascon Aguilar I, Pamer M, Wludyka P, Cury J, Coultas D, Lambiase L, et al. Role of gastroesophageal reflux symptoms in exacerbations of COPD. Chest. 2006;130:1096-101 pubmed..2/yr vs 1.6/yr, p = 0.02). The presence of GER symptoms appears to be associated with increased exacerbations of COPD. ..
- McCord J, Halliwill J. H1 and H2 receptors mediate postexercise hyperemia in sedentary and endurance exercise-trained men and women. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2006;101:1693-701 pubmed..control day). These data suggest postexercise skeletal muscle hyperemia exists in endurance trained men and women. Furthermore, histaminergic mechanisms produce the long-lasting hyperemia in sedentary and endurance-trained individuals. ..
- Ellison E, Sparks J. Zollinger-Ellison syndrome in the era of effective acid suppression: are we unknowingly growing tumors?. Am J Surg. 2003;186:245-8 pubmed..Physicians must maintain a high index of suspicion for this disease and not mask a potential malignancy with prolonged control of acid-related symptoms without taking steps to diagnose gastrinoma...
- Rodeberg D, Zaheer S, Moir C, Ishitani M. Gastric diverticulum: a series of four pediatric patients. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2002;34:564-7 pubmed