Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on high mobility group proteins in France
Topic: high mobility group proteins
- Ohe K, Lalli E, Sassone Corsi P. A direct role of SRY and SOX proteins in pre-mRNA splicing. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:1146-51 pubmed
- Martin D, Daulny A, Decoville M, Locker D. Mutagenesis analysis of the interaction between the dorsal rel homology domain and HMG boxes of DSP1 protein. J Biochem. 2003;134:583-9 pubmed
- Chaboissier M, Kobayashi A, Vidal V, Lützkendorf S, van de Kant H, Wegner M, et al. Functional analysis of Sox8 and Sox9 during sex determination in the mouse. Development. 2004;131:1891-901 pubmed..Finally, double knock-out analyses suggest that Sox8 reinforces Sox9 function in testis differentiation of mice. ..
- Lopez S, Livingstone Zatchej M, Jourdain S, Thoma F, Sentenac A, Marsolier M. High-mobility-group proteins NHP6A and NHP6B participate in activation of the RNA polymerase III SNR6 gene. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:3096-104 pubmed..These results indicate that besides the general transcription factors TFIIIB and TFIIIC, additional auxillary factors are required for the optimal transcription of at least some specific Pol III genes. ..
- Forzani C, Loulergue C, Lobreaux S, Briat J, Lebrun M. Nickel resistance and chromatin condensation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae expressing a maize high mobility group I/Y protein. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:16731-8 pubmed..Therefore, nickel resistance of yeast cells expressing the ZmHMG I/Y2 cDNA is likely achieved by chromatin structure modification, restricting nickel accessibility to DNA. ..
- Malki S, Nef S, Notarnicola C, Thevenet L, Gasca S, Mejean C, et al. Prostaglandin D2 induces nuclear import of the sex-determining factor SOX9 via its cAMP-PKA phosphorylation. EMBO J. 2005;24:1798-809 pubmed..We thus propose a new step in the sex-determining cascade where PGD2 acts as an autocrine factor inducing SOX9 nuclear translocation and subsequent Sertoli cell differentiation. ..
- Dromard C, Bartolami S, Deleyrolle L, Takebayashi H, Ripoll C, Simonneau L, et al. NG2 and Olig2 expression provides evidence for phenotypic deregulation of cultured central nervous system and peripheral nervous system neural precursor cells. Stem Cells. 2007;25:340-53 pubmed..These data provide new evidence for profound phenotypic modifications in CNS and PNS neural precursor cells induced by culture conditions. ..
- Decoville M, Giraud Panis M, Mosrin Huaman C, Leng M, Locker D. HMG boxes of DSP1 protein interact with the rel homology domain of transcription factors. Nucleic Acids Res. 2000;28:454-62 pubmed..Finally, studies of the zen DNA binding properties of Dorsal and another related Rel protein (Gambif1 from Anopheles gambiae) revealed that their DNA binding affinities were increased in the presence of DSP1 and HMG1. ..
- Parma P, Pailhoux E, Cotinot C. Reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction analysis of genes involved in gonadal differentiation in pigs. Biol Reprod. 1999;61:741-8 pubmed..Such a thorough study has never been performed on pigs; developmental analysis will be useful for investigating sex-reversed gonads and determining ontogeny in intersexuality, a common pathology in pigs. ..
- Bondurand N, Kuhlbrodt K, Pingault V, Enderich J, Sajus M, Tommerup N, et al. A molecular analysis of the yemenite deaf-blind hypopigmentation syndrome: SOX10 dysfunction causes different neurocristopathies. Hum Mol Genet. 1999;8:1785-9 pubmed..Moreover, as mutations of the SOX10 transcription factor were previously described in Waardenburg-Hirschsprung disease, these results show that SOX10 mutations cause various types of neurocristopathy. ..
- Soullier S, Jay P, Poulat F, Vanacker J, Berta P, Laudet V. Diversification pattern of the HMG and SOX family members during evolution. J Mol Evol. 1999;48:517-27 pubmed..The various UBF boxes cannot be clustered together and their diversification appears to be extremely ancient, probably before the appearance of metazoans. ..
- Bonnefoy E, Bandu M, Doly J. Specific binding of high-mobility-group I (HMGI) protein and histone H1 to the upstream AT-rich region of the murine beta interferon promoter: HMGI protein acts as a potential antirepressor of the promoter. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:2803-16 pubmed..The displacement by HMGI protein of histone H1 could help to convert the IFN-beta promoter from a repressed to an active state. ..
- de Santa Barbara P, Bonneaud N, Boizet B, Desclozeaux M, Moniot B, Sudbeck P, et al. Direct interaction of SRY-related protein SOX9 and steroidogenic factor 1 regulates transcription of the human anti-Müllerian hormone gene. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:6653-65 pubmed..Our work thus identifies SOX9 as an interaction partner of SF-1 that could be involved in the Sertoli cell-specific expression of AMH during embryogenesis. ..
- Mitsiadis T, Mucchielli M, Raffo S, Proust J, Koopman P, Goridis C. Expression of the transcription factors Otlx2, Barx1 and Sox9 during mouse odontogenesis. Eur J Oral Sci. 1998;106 Suppl 1:112-6 pubmed..These results suggest that Otlx2/Rieg, Barx1, and Sox9 participate in the hierarchical cascade of factors involved in the regulation of tooth morphogenesis. ..
- Chassot A, Ranc F, Gregoire E, Roepers Gajadien H, Taketo M, Camerino G, et al. Activation of beta-catenin signaling by Rspo1 controls differentiation of the mammalian ovary. Hum Mol Genet. 2008;17:1264-77 pubmed publisher..Thus, a balance between Sox9 and beta-catenin activation determines the fate of the gonad, with Rspo1 acting as a crucial regulator of canonical beta-catenin signaling required for female development. ..
- Lafont J, Jacques C, Le Dreau G, Calhabeu F, Thibout H, Dubois C, et al. New target genes for NOV/CCN3 in chondrocytes: TGF-beta2 and type X collagen. J Bone Miner Res. 2005;20:2213-23 pubmed
- Girard M, Goossens M. Sumoylation of the SOX10 transcription factor regulates its transcriptional activity. FEBS Lett. 2006;580:1635-41 pubmed..Sumoylation does not affect SOX10 sub-cellular localisation, but represses its transcriptional activity on two of its target genes, GJB1 and MITF, and modulates its synergy with its cofactors EGR2 and PAX3 on these promoters. ..
- Colin C, Virard I, Baeza N, Tchoghandjian A, Fernandez C, Bouvier C, et al. Relevance of combinatorial profiles of intermediate filaments and transcription factors for glioma histogenesis. Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol. 2007;33:431-9 pubmed..Finally, in oligodendrogliomas, intermediate filament proteins are generally not observed whereas Olig2 was found in almost all tumour cells nuclei while only a subpopulation of tumour cells expressed Nkx2.2 and Sox10. ..
- Déjardin J, Rappailles A, Cuvier O, Grimaud C, Decoville M, Locker D, et al. Recruitment of Drosophila Polycomb group proteins to chromatin by DSP1. Nature. 2005;434:533-8 pubmed..The binding of DSP1 to PREs is therefore important for the recruitment of PcG proteins. ..
- Janke C, Martin D, Giraud Panis M, Decoville M, Locker D. Drosophila DSP1 and rat HMGB1 have equivalent DNA binding properties and share a similar secondary fold. J Biochem. 2003;133:533-9 pubmed..The major structural difference between the two proteins, the glutamine-rich N-terminal tail of DSP1, which does not exist in HMGB1, did not interfere with any of the studied DNA-binding properties of the proteins. ..
- Kypriotou M, Fossard Demoor M, Chadjichristos C, Ghayor C, de Crombrugghe B, Pujol J, et al. SOX9 exerts a bifunctional effect on type II collagen gene (COL2A1) expression in chondrocytes depending on the differentiation state. DNA Cell Biol. 2003;22:119-29 pubmed..Although SOX9 has a crucial role in chondrocyte differentiation, our findings indicate that this factor cannot restore the phenotype of osteoarthritic chondrocytes by itself. ..
- Legendre F, Dudhia J, Pujol J, Bogdanowicz P. JAK/STAT but not ERK1/ERK2 pathway mediates interleukin (IL)-6/soluble IL-6R down-regulation of Type II collagen, aggrecan core, and link protein transcription in articular chondrocytes. Association with a down-regulation of SOX9 expression. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:2903-12 pubmed..These IL-6 effects might contribute to the phenotype loss of chondrocytes in joint diseases and the alteration of articular cartilage associated with this pathology. ..
- Thompson E, Legouy E, Christians E, Renard J. Progressive maturation of chromatin structure regulates HSP70.1 gene expression in the preimplantation mouse embryo. Development. 1995;121:3425-37 pubmed..We demonstrate that HSP70.1-associated transcription factors are not limiting, and that instead, there is a progressive maturation of chromatin structure that is directly involved in HSP70.1 regulation during early mouse development. ..
- Takash W, Canizares J, Bonneaud N, Poulat F, Mattei M, Jay P, et al. SOX7 transcription factor: sequence, chromosomal localisation, expression, transactivation and interference with Wnt signalling. Nucleic Acids Res. 2001;29:4274-83 pubmed..In view of these and other findings, we suggest different modes of action for SOX7 inside the cell including repression of Wnt signalling. ..
- McElreavey K, Fellous M. Sex determination and the Y chromosome. Am J Med Genet. 1999;89:176-85 pubmed..Despite recent advances, however, we are still unable to explain the genetic cause of most cases of 46,XY gonadal dysgenesis or even a single case of Y-chromosome-negative 46,XX maleness. ..
- Bourdineaud J, De Sampaïo G, Lauquin G. A Rox1-independent hypoxic pathway in yeast. Antagonistic action of the repressor Ord1 and activator Yap1 for hypoxic expression of the SRP1/TIR1 gene. Mol Microbiol. 2000;38:879-90 pubmed..Thus, Yap1 is not directly involved in SRP1 induction by hypoxia, but is necessary to counteract the Ord1 effect. ..
- Lemercier C, Duncliffe K, Boibessot I, Zhang H, Verdel A, Angelov D, et al. Involvement of retinoblastoma protein and HBP1 in histone H1(0) gene expression. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:6627-37 pubmed..Through modulating the expression of specific chromatin-associated proteins such as histone H1(0), HBP1 plays a vital role in chromatin remodeling events during the arrest of cell proliferation in differentiating cells. ..
- Bondurand N, Pingault V, Goerich D, Lemort N, Sock E, Le Caignec C, et al. Interaction among SOX10, PAX3 and MITF, three genes altered in Waardenburg syndrome. Hum Mol Genet. 2000;9:1907-17 pubmed..These experiments, which demonstrate an interaction between three of the genes that are altered in WS, could explain the auditory-pigmentary symptoms of this disease. ..
- Meijer L, Ostvold A, Walass S, Lund T, Laland S. High-mobility-group proteins P1, I and Y as substrates of the M-phase-specific p34cdc2/cyclincdc13 kinase. Eur J Biochem. 1991;196:557-67 pubmed..The phosphorylation of these proteins by p34cdc2/cyclincdc13 may represent a crucial event in the intense chromatin condensation occurring as cells transit from the G2 to the M phase of the cell cycle. ..
- Lesage F, Hugnot J, Amri E, Grimaldi P, Barhanin J, Lazdunski M. Expression cloning in K+ transport defective yeast and distribution of HBP1, a new putative HMG transcriptional regulator. Nucleic Acids Res. 1994;22:3685-8 pubmed..Taken together, the results suggest that the rat HBP1 is a new member of the HMG class of transcriptional regulators involved in cell differentiation pathways. ..
- Berger A, Decourty L, Badis G, Nehrbass U, Jacquier A, Gadal O. Hmo1 is required for TOR-dependent regulation of ribosomal protein gene transcription. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:8015-26 pubmed..Therefore, we show here that Saccharomyces cerevisiae Hmo1 is directly involved in coordinating rDNA transcription by Pol I and RP gene expression by Pol II under the control of the TOR pathway. ..
- Beranger F, Mejean C, Moniot B, Berta P, Vandromme M. Muscle differentiation is antagonized by SOX15, a new member of the SOX protein family. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:16103-9 pubmed..These results suggest a specific and repressive role for SOX15, requiring the C-terminal domain, during myogenesis. ..
- Angelov D, Bondarenko V, Almagro S, Menoni H, Mongelard F, Hans F, et al. Nucleolin is a histone chaperone with FACT-like activity and assists remodeling of nucleosomes. EMBO J. 2006;25:1669-79 pubmed..This work defines new functions for histone chaperones in chromatin remodeling and regulation of transcription and explains how nucleolin could act on transcription. ..
- Dickmeis T, Mourrain P, Saint Etienne L, Fischer N, Aanstad P, Clark M, et al. A crucial component of the endoderm formation pathway, CASANOVA, is encoded by a novel sox-related gene. Genes Dev. 2001;15:1487-92 pubmed..In the absence of cas activity, endoderm progenitors differentiate into mesodermal derivatives. Thus, cas is an HMG box-containing gene involved in the fate decision between endoderm and mesoderm that acts downstream of Nodal signals. ..
- Pailhoux E, Vigier B, Schibler L, Cribiu E, Cotinot C, Vaiman D. Positional cloning of the PIS mutation in goats and its impact on understanding mammalian sex-differentiation. Genet Sel Evol. 2005;37 Suppl 1:S55-64 pubmed publisher..Under this hypothesis, SRY, the testis-determining factor would inhibit these two genes in the gonads of XY males, to ensure testis differentiation...
- Pingault V, Bondurand N, Le Caignec C, Tardieu S, Lemort N, Dubourg O, et al. The SOX10 transcription factor: evaluation as a candidate gene for central and peripheral hereditary myelin disorders. J Neurol. 2001;248:496-9 pubmed..No abnormalities in the proteolipid protein gene (PLP) were found. The absence of SOX100 mutation in this large cohort of patients suggests that this gene is not frequently involved in peripheral or central inherited myelin disorders...
- Mercier G, Turque N, Schumacher M. Early activation of transcription factor expression in Schwann cells by progesterone. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2001;97:137-48 pubmed..Thus, PROG can regulate Schwann cell functions and differentiation by transiently activating specific transcription factors. ..
- Pingault V, Girard M, Bondurand N, Dorkins H, Van Maldergem L, Mowat D, et al. SOX10 mutations in chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction suggest a complex physiopathological mechanism. Hum Genet. 2002;111:198-206 pubmed..These results show that chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction may be a manifestation associated with WS, and indicate that aganglionosis is not the only mechanism underlying the intestinal dysfunction of patients with SOX10 mutations. ..
- David N, Saint Etienne L, Tsang M, Schilling T, Rosa F. Requirement for endoderm and FGF3 in ventral head skeleton formation. Development. 2002;129:4457-68 pubmed..Together, our results reveal for the first time that the endoderm provides differential cues along the anteroposterior axis to control ventral head skeleton development and demonstrate that this function is mediated in part by Fgf3. ..