Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on glycosyltransferases in Germany
- Dube B, Lüke H, Aumailley M, Prehm P. Hyaluronan reduces migration and proliferation in CHO cells. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2001;1538:283-9 pubmed..In contrast, coating the plastic dish with hyaluronan enhanced initial cell adhesion. These results are discussed in the context of the perplexing properties of hyaluronan on cellular functions. ..
- Gronow S, Noah C, Blumenthal A, Lindner B, Brade H. Construction of a deep-rough mutant of Burkholderia cepacia ATCC 25416 and characterization of its chemical and biological properties. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:1647-55 pubmed..Thus, the truncation of the LPS did not decrease the biological activity of the mutant or its LPS in these aspects. ..
- Guttenberg G, Hornei S, Jank T, Schwan C, Lu W, Einsle O, et al. Molecular characteristics of Clostridium perfringens TpeL toxin and consequences of mono-O-GlcNAcylation of Ras in living cells. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:24929-40 pubmed publisher..In addition, TpeL blocks Ras signaling in rat pheochromocytoma PC12 cells. TpeL is a glucosylating toxin, which modifies Ras and induces apoptosis in target cells without having a typical C-terminal polypeptide repeat domain. ..
- Hölzl G, Zahringer U, Warnecke D, Heinz E. Glycoengineering of cyanobacterial thylakoid membranes for future studies on the role of glycolipids in photosynthesis. Plant Cell Physiol. 2005;46:1766-78 pubmed..These results demonstrate that modifications of the glycolipid pattern in thylakoids are possible. ..
- Homann A, Timm M, Seibel J. Chemo-enzymatic synthesis and in vitro cytokine profiling of tailor-made oligofructosides. BMC Biotechnol. 2012;12:90 pubmed publisher..Pure carbohydrates are able to stimulate a cytokine response in human endothelial cells in vitro. The type and amount of cytokine secretion depends on the type of co-cultivated oligosaccharide. ..
- Willhauck Fleckenstein M, Moehler T, Merling A, Pusunc S, Goldschmidt H, Schwartz Albiez R. Transcriptional regulation of the vascular endothelial glycome by angiogenic and inflammatory signalling. Angiogenesis. 2010;13:25-42 pubmed publisher..Transcriptional analysis of the glycome gives insights into the differential regulation of glycosylation pathways and may help to understand the functional impact of endothelial glycosylation. ..
- Huang F, Hinkelmann J, Hermenau A, Schwab W. Enhanced production of Î²-glucosides by in-situ UDP-glucose regeneration. J Biotechnol. 2016;224:35-44 pubmed publisher..The results confirm that co-expression of SUS allows in situ regeneration of UDP-sugars and avoids product inhibition by UDP. ..
- Delannoy S, Beutin L, Mariani Kurkdjian P, Fleiss A, Bonacorsi S, Fach P. The Escherichia coli Serogroup O1 and O2 Lipopolysaccharides Are Encoded by Multiple O-antigen Gene Clusters. Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 2017;7:30 pubmed publisher..coli (STEC) strains. ..
- Elmasri H, Liedtke D, L cking G, Volff J, Gessler M, Winkler C. her7 and hey1, but not lunatic fringe show dynamic expression during somitogenesis in medaka (Oryzias latipes). Gene Expr Patterns. 2004;4:553-9 pubmed publisher..This shows that several components of the Delta-Notch pathway are differently regulated during somitogenesis in different species...
- Bakkers J, Kramer C, Pothof J, Quaedvlieg N, Spaink H, Hammerschmidt M. Has2 is required upstream of Rac1 to govern dorsal migration of lateral cells during zebrafish gastrulation. Development. 2004;131:525-37 pubmed..In addition, they suggest that the same HA pathways are active to auto-stimulate cell migration during tumor invasion and vertebrate embryogenesis. ..
- Vollmer W, von Rechenberg M, Holtje J. Demonstration of molecular interactions between the murein polymerase PBP1B, the lytic transglycosylase MltA, and the scaffolding protein MipA of Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:6726-34 pubmed..coli. ..
- Syrbe U, Jennrich S, Schottelius A, Richter A, Radbruch A, Hamann A. Differential regulation of P-selectin ligand expression in naive versus memory CD4+ T cells: evidence for epigenetic regulation of involved glycosyltransferase genes. Blood. 2004;104:3243-8 pubmed..Due to these findings we propose that selectin-dependent inflammation-seeking properties are imprinted by epigenetic modifications upon T-cell differentiation into effector cells. ..
- Ashikov A, Buettner F, Tiemann B, Gerardy Schahn R, Bakker H. LARGE2 generates the same xylose- and glucuronic acid-containing glycan structures as LARGE. Glycobiology. 2013;23:303-9 pubmed publisher..It is a bifunctional glycosyltransferase using uridine diphosphate (UDP)-xylose (Xyl) and UDP-glucuronic acid (GlcA) as donor sugars to produce a xyloglucuronan with alternating Xyl and GlcA residues. ..
- Pelzer S, Sussmuth R, Heckmann D, Recktenwald J, Huber P, Jung G, et al. Identification and analysis of the balhimycin biosynthetic gene cluster and its use for manipulating glycopeptide biosynthesis in Amycolatopsis mediterranei DSM5908. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1999;43:1565-73 pubmed..Mutant strain HD1, created by inactivation of the glycosyltransferase gene bgtfB, produced at least four different compounds which were not glycosylated but still antibiotically active. ..
- von Saint Paul V, Zhang W, Kanawati B, Geist B, Faus Kessler T, Schmitt Kopplin P, et al. The Arabidopsis glucosyltransferase UGT76B1 conjugates isoleucic acid and modulates plant defense and senescence. Plant Cell. 2011;23:4124-45 pubmed publisher..Exogenously applied isoleucic acid increased resistance against P. syringae infection. These findings indicate a novel link between amino acid-related molecules and plant defense that is mediated by small-molecule glucosylation. ..
- Klein G, Lindner B, Brade H, Raina S. Molecular basis of lipopolysaccharide heterogeneity in Escherichia coli: envelope stress-responsive regulators control the incorporation of glycoforms with a third 3-deoxy-?-D-manno-oct-2-ulosonic acid and rhamnose. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:42787-807 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, ?(waaZ lpxLMP) synthesizing tetraacylated lipid A exhibited synthetic lethality at 21-23°C pointing to the significance of the incorporation of the third Kdo. ..
- Klein G, Muller Loennies S, Lindner B, Kobylak N, Brade H, Raina S. Molecular and structural basis of inner core lipopolysaccharide alterations in Escherichia coli: incorporation of glucuronic acid and phosphoethanolamine in the heptose region. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:8111-27 pubmed publisher..This P-EtN modification is essential for resistance to a variety of factors, which destabilize the outer membrane like the addition of SDS or challenge to sublethal concentrations of Zn(2+). ..
- Olsen S, Striberny B, Hollmann J, Schwacke R, Popper Z, Krause K. Getting ready for host invasion: elevated expression and action of xyloglucan endotransglucosylases/hydrolases in developing haustoria of the holoparasitic angiosperm Cuscuta. J Exp Bot. 2016;67:695-708 pubmed publisher..We propose that xyloglucan remodelling by Cuscuta XTHs prepares the parasite for host infection and possibly aids the invasive growth of the haustorium. ..
- Schoenfelder M, Einspanier R. Expression of hyaluronan synthases and corresponding hyaluronan receptors is differentially regulated during oocyte maturation in cattle. Biol Reprod. 2003;69:269-77 pubmed..In bovine COCs, the transcriptional up-regulation of both HAS2 and the receptor CD44 appear to be important prerequisites for initiating HA-mediated effects during final oocyte development and sperm-egg interaction. ..
- Klein G, Lindner B, Brabetz W, Brade H, Raina S. Escherichia coli K-12 Suppressor-free Mutants Lacking Early Glycosyltransferases and Late Acyltransferases: minimal lipopolysaccharide structure and induction of envelope stress response. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:15369-89 pubmed publisher..This suppression could be alleviated by overexpression of certain mutant msbA alleles or the single-copy chromosomal MsbA-498V variant in the vicinity of Walker-box II...
- Gronow S, Lindner B, Brade H, Muller Loennies S. Kdo-(2 --> 8)-Kdo-(2 --> 4)-Kdo but not Kdo-(2 --> 4)-Kdo-(2 --> 4)-Kdo is an acceptor for transfer of L-glycero-alpha-D-manno-heptose by Escherichia coli heptosyltransferase I (WaaC). Innate Immun. 2009;15:13-23 pubmed publisher..We have observed differences between WaaA of C. trachomatis, C. pneumoniae and C. psittaci which indicate mechanistic differences between these Kdo transferases. ..
- Serth K, Schuster Gossler K, Cordes R, Gossler A. Transcriptional oscillation of lunatic fringe is essential for somitogenesis. Genes Dev. 2003;17:912-25 pubmed
- Teppner I, Becker S, de Angelis M, Gossler A, Beckers J. Compartmentalised expression of Delta-like 1 in epithelial somites is required for the formation of intervertebral joints. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:68 pubmed..Our data suggest that the restricted Dll1 expression in caudal epithelial somites may be particularly required for the proper development of the intervertebral joint forming compartment. ..
- Jinek M, Chen Y, Clausen H, Cohen S, Conti E. Structural insights into the Notch-modifying glycosyltransferase Fringe. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2006;13:945-6 pubmed..Mutations of several invariant residues in this pocket impair Fringe activity in vivo. ..
- Hölzl G, Witt S, Kelly A, Zahringer U, Warnecke D, Dormann P, et al. Functional differences between galactolipids and glucolipids revealed in photosynthesis of higher plants. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:7512-7 pubmed..Therefore, galactose in thylakoid lipids can be exchanged with glucose without severe effects on growth, but the presence of galactose is crucial to maintain maximal photosynthetic efficiency...
- Brabetz W, Muller Loennies S, Holst O, Brade H. Deletion of the heptosyltransferase genes rfaC and rfaF in Escherichia coli K-12 results in an Re-type lipopolysaccharide with a high degree of 2-aminoethanol phosphate substitution. Eur J Biochem. 1997;247:716-24 pubmed
- Usadel B, Kuschinsky A, Rosso M, Eckermann N, Pauly M. RHM2 is involved in mucilage pectin synthesis and is required for the development of the seed coat in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2004;134:286-95 pubmed..In addition, scanning electron microscopy of the seed surface indicated a distorted testa morphology, illustrating not only a structural but also a developmental role for RGI or rhamnose metabolism in proper testa formation. ..
- Winter M, Koopmann B, Döll K, Karlovsky P, Kropf U, Schlüter K, et al. Mechanisms regulating grain contamination with trichothecenes translocated from the stem base of wheat (Triticum aestivum) infected with Fusarium culmorum. Phytopathology. 2013;103:682-9 pubmed publisher..This is the first study to demonstrate the effective control of influx of systemically translocated fungal mycotoxins into grains at the rachilla-seed interface by the xylem discontinuity tissue in wheat ears. ..
- Cordes R, Schuster Gossler K, Serth K, Gossler A. Specification of vertebral identity is coupled to Notch signalling and the segmentation clock. Development. 2004;131:1221-33 pubmed..Together, these results provide genetic evidence that precisely regulated levels of Notch activity as well as cyclic Lfng activity are critical for positional specification of the anteroposterior body axis in the paraxial mesoderm. ..
- Höppner C, Carle A, Sivanesan D, Hoeppner S, Baron C. The putative lytic transglycosylase VirB1 from Brucella suis interacts with the type IV secretion system core components VirB8, VirB9 and VirB11. Microbiology. 2005;151:3469-82 pubmed..The binding sites were localized on a structure model of VirB1, suggesting that different portions of VirB1 may interact with other VirB proteins during assembly of the type IV secretion machinery...
- Theilacker C, Sava I, Sanchez Carballo P, Bao Y, Kropec A, Grohmann E, et al. Deletion of the glycosyltransferase bgsB of Enterococcus faecalis leads to a complete loss of glycolipids from the cell membrane and to impaired biofilm formation. BMC Microbiol. 2011;11:67 pubmed publisher..Its inactivation profoundly affects cell membrane composition and has secondary effects on LTA biosynthesis. Both cell-membrane amphiphiles are critical for biofilm formation and virulence of E. faecalis. ..
- Sperandio M. Selectins and glycosyltransferases in leukocyte rolling in vivo. FEBS J. 2006;273:4377-89 pubmed..In addition, modifications, such as carbohydrate or tyrosine sulfation, were also found to contribute to the synthesis of functional selectin ligands. ..
- Luo Z, Gallwitz D. Biochemical and genetic evidence for the involvement of yeast Ypt6-GTPase in protein retrieval to different Golgi compartments. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:791-9 pubmed..The results obtained indicate that Ypt6p acts in endosome-to-Golgi, in intra-Golgi retrograde transport, and possibly also in Golgi-to-ER trafficking. ..
- Gronow S, Oertelt C, Ervelä E, Zamyatina A, Kosma P, Skurnik M, et al. Characterization of the physiological substrate for lipopolysaccharide heptosyltransferases I and II. J Endotoxin Res. 2001;7:263-70 pubmed..This compound represented the sole constituent of the bacterial extract that was accepted as a sugar donor by heptosyltransferases I and II in vitro. ..
- Gronow S, Brabetz W, Brade H. Comparative functional characterization in vitro of heptosyltransferase I (WaaC) and II (WaaF) from Escherichia coli. Eur J Biochem. 2000;267:6602-11 pubmed..The reaction products were characterized after separation by TLC and blotting with monoclonal antibodies specific for the acceptor, the intermediates and the final products. ..
- Grabenhorst E, Conradt H. The cytoplasmic, transmembrane, and stem regions of glycosyltransferases specify their in vivo functional sublocalization and stability in the Golgi. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:36107-16 pubmed
- Jorasch P, Wolter F, Zahringer U, Heinz E. A UDP glucosyltransferase from Bacillus subtilis successively transfers up to four glucose residues to 1,2-diacylglycerol: expression of ypfP in Escherichia coli and structural analysis of its reaction products. Mol Microbiol. 1998;29:419-30 pubmed