Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on glycosylphosphatidylinositols in Germany
- Miesbauer M, Rambold A, Winklhofer K, Tatzelt J. Targeting of the prion protein to the cytosol: mechanisms and consequences. Curr Issues Mol Biol. 2010;12:109-18 pubmed
- Niehus S, Elass E, Coddeville B, Guerardel Y, Schwarz R, Debierre Grockiego F. Glycosylphosphatidylinositols of Toxoplasma gondii induce matrix metalloproteinase-9 production and degradation of galectin-3. Immunobiology. 2012;217:61-4 pubmed publisher..Here we show that T. gondii GPIs stimulate human macrophages to synthesize matrix metalloproteinase-9 in a TNF-?-dependent pathway and degrade extracellular galectin-3. ..
- Klöppel C, Muller A, Marker S, Simon M. Two isoforms of eukaryotic phospholipase C in Paramecium affecting transport and release of GPI-anchored proteins in vivo. Eur J Cell Biol. 2009;88:577-92 pubmed publisher..This is the first molecular data on endogenous Paramecium PLCs with the described properties affecting GPI anchors in vitro and in vivo. ..
- Debierre Grockiego F, Molitor N, Schwarz R, Lüder C. Toxoplasma gondii glycosylphosphatidylinositols up-regulate major histocompatibility complex (MHC) molecule expression on primary murine macrophages. Innate Immun. 2009;15:25-32 pubmed publisher..Up-regulation of surface MHC molecules by GPIs may lead to the elimination of non-infected cells of the host immune system, contributing to the immune escape strategy of T. gondii. ..
- Santos de Macedo C, Gerold P, Jung N, Azzouz N, Kimmel J, Schwarz R. Inhibition of glycosyl-phosphatidylinositol biosynthesis in Plasmodium falciparum by C-2 substituted mannose analogues. Eur J Biochem. 2001;268:6221-8 pubmed
- Gilch S, Kehler C, Schatzl H. The prion protein requires cholesterol for cell surface localization. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2006;31:346-53 pubmed..Our data show that cholesterol is essential for the cell surface localization of PrP(c), known to be necessary for prion conversion. ..
- Kimmel J, Ogun S, de Macedo C, Gerold P, Vivas L, Holder A, et al. Glycosylphosphatidyl-inositols in murine malaria: Plasmodium yoelii yoelii. Biochimie. 2003;85:473-81 pubmed
- Debierre Grockiego F, Niehus S, Coddeville B, Elass E, Poirier F, Weingart R, et al. Binding of Toxoplasma gondii glycosylphosphatidylinositols to galectin-3 is required for their recognition by macrophages. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:32744-50 pubmed publisher..This study is the first identification of a galectin-3 ligand of T. gondii origin, and galectin-3 might be a co-receptor presenting the GPIs to the TLRs on macrophages. ..
- Tomavo S, Dubremetz J, Schwarz R. Biosynthesis of glycolipid precursors for glycosylphosphatidylinositol membrane anchors in a Toxoplasma gondii cell-free system. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:21446-58 pubmed..In contrast to T. brucei, preliminary experiments indicate that the core glycan of some GPIs synthesized by the T. gondii cell-free system is modified by N-acetylgalactosamine similar to the situation for mammalian Thy-1...
- Bannas P, Adriouch S, Kahl S, Braasch F, Haag F, Koch Nolte F. Activity and specificity of toxin-related mouse T cell ecto-ADP-ribosyltransferase ART2.2 depends on its association with lipid rafts. Blood. 2005;105:3663-70 pubmed..Our results further suggest that raft association focuses ART2.2 on specific targets that constitutively or inducibly associate with lipid rafts. ..
- Klippel S, Strunck E, Busse C, Behringer D, Pahl H. Biochemical characterization of PRV-1, a novel hematopoietic cell surface receptor, which is overexpressed in polycythemia rubra vera. Blood. 2002;100:2441-8 pubmed..Therefore, quantification of PRV-1 surface expression cannot be used for the diagnosis of polycythemia vera. ..
- Kleene R, Yang H, Kutsche M, Schachner M. The neural recognition molecule L1 is a sialic acid-binding lectin for CD24, which induces promotion and inhibition of neurite outgrowth. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:21656-63 pubmed..This glycoform is excluded together with L1 from raft microdomains, suggesting that molecular compartmentation in the surface membrane could play a role in signal transduction. ..
- Tiede A, Daniels R, Higgs D, Mehrein Y, Schmidt R, Schubert J. The human GPI1 gene is required for efficient glycosylphosphatidylinositol biosynthesis. Gene. 2001;271:247-54 pubmed..In conclusion, GPI1 plays an important role in the biosynthesis of GPI intermediates. Due to its autosomal localisation, the heterozygous deletion of GPI1 does not lead to an overt defect in the expression of GPI-linked proteins. ..
- Elsner J, Hochstetter R, Spiekermann K, Kapp A. Surface and mRNA expression of the CD52 antigen by human eosinophils but not by neutrophils. Blood. 1996;88:4684-93 pubmed..The data point out a novel role of the CD52 antigen on human eosinophils that might be of clinical relevance, because cross-linking of this molecule will stop the destructive power of human eosinophils in the inflammatory tissue. ..
- Tiede A, Schubert J, Nischan C, Jensen I, Westfall B, Taron C, et al. Human and mouse Gpi1p homologues restore glycosylphosphatidylinositol membrane anchor biosynthesis in yeast mutants. Biochem J. 1998;334 ( Pt 3):609-16 pubmed
- Ilg T, Cramer J, Lutz J, Noack S, Schmitt H, Williams H, et al. The characterization of Lucilia cuprina acetylcholinesterase as a drug target, and the identification of novel inhibitors by high throughput screening. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2011;41:470-83 pubmed publisher..cuprina enzyme than on the human AChE. Some of these compounds may serve as leads for lead optimization programs to generate fly-specific pesticides...
- Barz W, Walter P. Two endoplasmic reticulum (ER) membrane proteins that facilitate ER-to-Golgi transport of glycosylphosphatidylinositol-anchored proteins. Mol Biol Cell. 1999;10:1043-59 pubmed..Instead, we propose that Lag1p and Dgt1p facilitate efficient ER-to-Golgi transport of GPI-anchored proteins. ..
- Wennicke K, Debierre Grockiego F, Wichmann D, Brattig N, Pankuweit S, Maisch B, et al. Glycosylphosphatidylinositol-induced cardiac myocyte death might contribute to the fatal outcome of Plasmodium falciparum malaria. Apoptosis. 2008;13:857-66 pubmed publisher..Our studies performed in vitro and in mice suggest that the GPI could be responsible for cardiomyocyte apoptosis that occurred in this patient. Plasmodium falciparum GPI-induced apoptosis might participate in the lethality of malaria. ..
- Debierre Grockiego F, Campos M, Azzouz N, Schmidt J, Bieker U, Resende M, et al. Activation of TLR2 and TLR4 by glycosylphosphatidylinositols derived from Toxoplasma gondii. J Immunol. 2007;179:1129-37 pubmed..gondii infection through their activation by the GPIs and could work together with other MyD88-dependent receptors, like other TLRs or even IL-18R or IL-1R, to obtain an effective host response against T. gondii infection. ..
- Ragni E, Sipiczki M, Strahl S. Characterization of Ccw12p, a major key player in cell wall stability of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Yeast. 2007;24:309-19 pubmed..However, loss of N-glycans does not affect Ccw12p functionality. In contrast, deletion of the repeated amino acid motive TTEAPKNGTSTAAP in the C-terminal part of the protein affects Ccw12p function. ..
- Azzouz N, Gerold P, Kedees M, Shams Eldin H, Werner R, Capdeville Y, et al. Regulation of Paramecium primaurelia glycosylphosphatidyl-inositol biosynthesis via dolichol phosphate mannose synthesis. Biochimie. 2001;83:801-9 pubmed..Furthermore, our data suggest that GTP gamma S interferes with synthesis of dolichol monophosphate, indicating that the dolichol kinase is regulated by the heterotrimeric G proteins. ..
- Miesbauer M, Bamme T, Riemer C, Oidtmann B, Winklhofer K, Baier M, et al. Prion protein-related proteins from zebrafish are complex glycosylated and contain a glycosylphosphatidylinositol anchor. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;341:218-24 pubmed
- Meyer B, Albers S. Hot and sweet: protein glycosylation in Crenarchaeota. Biochem Soc Trans. 2013;41:384-92 pubmed publisher..acidocaldarius, describing the phenotypes of the mutants disrupted in N-glycan biosynthesis as well as giving insights into the archaeal O-linked and glycosylphosphatidylinositol anchor glycosylation process. ..
- Engstler M, Boshart M. Cold shock and regulation of surface protein trafficking convey sensitization to inducers of stage differentiation in Trypanosoma brucei. Genes Dev. 2004;18:2798-811 pubmed..We propose a hierarchical model of three events that regulate differentiation after transmission to the tsetse: sensing the temperature change, surface access of a putative receptor, and sensing of a chemical cue. ..
- Breinig F, Schleinkofer K, Schmitt M. Yeast Kre1p is GPI-anchored and involved in both cell wall assembly and architecture. Microbiology. 2004;150:3209-18 pubmed..Taken together, these data favour and suggest a structural, rather than enzymic, function of Kre1p in yeast cell wall assembly. ..
- Debierre Grockiego F, Desaint C, Fuentes V, Poussin M, Socie G, Azzouz N, et al. Evidence for glycosylphosphatidylinositol (GPI)-anchored eosinophil-derived neurotoxin (EDN) on human granulocytes. FEBS Lett. 2003;537:111-6 pubmed..Furthermore, metabolic labeling with GPI anchor components supports biochemical evidence of GPI anchoring of EDN. ..
- Gessler M, Klamt B, Tsaoussidou S, Ellis J, Luzio J. The gene encoding the GPI-anchored membrane protein p137GPI (M11S1) maps to human chromosome 11p13 and is highly conserved in the mouse. Genomics. 1996;32:169-70 pubmed
- Stahl P, Ruppert V, Meyer T, Schmidt J, Campos M, Gazzinelli R, et al. Trypomastigotes and amastigotes of Trypanosoma cruzi induce apoptosis and STAT3 activation in cardiomyocytes in vitro. Apoptosis. 2013;18:653-63 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, cardiomyopathy observed in Chagas' disease might be in part due to apoptosis of cardiomyocytes induced directly by the parasite. ..
- Aldag I, Bockau U, Rossdorf J, Laarmann S, Raaben W, Herrmann L, et al. Expression, secretion and surface display of a human alkaline phosphatase by the ciliate Tetrahymena thermophila. BMC Biotechnol. 2011;11:11 pubmed publisher..thermophila and thereby presents a powerful tool for the optimization of the ciliate-based expression system...
- Heinz D, Ryan M, Smith M, Weaver L, Keana J, Griffith O. Crystal structure of phosphatidylinositol-specific phospholipase C from Bacillus cereus in complex with glucosaminyl(alpha 1-->6)-D-myo-inositol, an essential fragment of GPI anchors. Biochemistry. 1996;35:9496-504 pubmed..cereus PI-PLC. This explains why B. cereus PI-PLC can cleave GPI anchors having variable glycan structures. ..
- Kirchhoff C, Pera I, Derr P, Yeung C, Cooper T. The molecular biology of the sperm surface. Post-testicular membrane remodelling. Adv Exp Med Biol. 1997;424:221-32 pubmed..Its synthesis is carefully regulated by the cells of the epididymal epithelium, with temperature and androgens acting synergistically on CD52 mRNA levels. ..
- Abdesselem H, Shypitsyna A, Solis G, Bodrikov V, Stuermer C. No Nogo66- and NgR-mediated inhibition of regenerating axons in the zebrafish optic nerve. J Neurosci. 2009;29:15489-98 pubmed publisher..Thus, not only was the NogoA-specific domain lost in fish, but Nogo66, the second inhibitory domain in mammals, and its signaling upon binding to NgR, was modified so that ZF-Nogo/RTN-4 does not impair axon regeneration. ..
- Lang D, Lommel S, Jung M, Ankerhold R, Petrausch B, Laessing U, et al. Identification of reggie-1 and reggie-2 as plasmamembrane-associated proteins which cocluster with activated GPI-anchored cell adhesion molecules in non-caveolar micropatches in neurons. J Neurobiol. 1998;37:502-23 pubmed..Thus, reggie-1 and reggie-2 identify sites where activated GPI-linked CAMs preferentially accumulate and which may represent noncaveolar micropatches (domains). ..
- Sun X, Wiesner B, Lorenz D, Papsdorf G, Pankow K, Wang P, et al. Interaction of angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) with membrane-bound carboxypeptidase M (CPM) - a new function of ACE. Biol Chem. 2008;389:1477-85 pubmed publisher..These results are discussed with respect to the recently proposed GPI-ase activity and function of sperm-bound ACE. ..
- Kalus I, Hodel A, Koch A, Kleene R, Edwardson J, Schrader M. Interaction of syncollin with GP-2, the major membrane protein of pancreatic zymogen granules, and association with lipid microdomains. Biochem J. 2002;362:433-42 pubmed..We suggest that the syncollin-GP-2 complex might play a role in signal transduction across the granule membrane. ..
- Hochstrasser H, Tomiuk J, Walter U, Behnke S, Spiegel J, Kruger R, et al. Functional relevance of ceruloplasmin mutations in Parkinson's disease. FASEB J. 2005;19:1851-3 pubmed..Our studies indicate that altered activity of ceruloplasmin may present a vulnerability factor for iron induced oxidative stress in PD. ..
- Reverter D, Maskos K, Tan F, Skidgel R, Bode W. Crystal structure of human carboxypeptidase M, a membrane-bound enzyme that regulates peptide hormone activity. J Mol Biol. 2004;338:257-69 pubmed