Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on glycosaminoglycans in Germany
- Breuckmann F, Freitag M, Rotterdam S, Stuecker M, Altmeyer P, Kreuter A. Immunohistochemical investigations and introduction of new therapeutic strategies in scleromyxoedema: case report. BMC Dermatol. 2004;4:12 pubmed..A subsequent therapeutic attempt by the use of medium-dose ultraviolet A1 cold-light photomonotherapy led to a further stabilisation of clinical symptoms, but could not induce a sustained amelioration of skin condition. ..
- Fischereder M, Michalke B, Schmöckel E, Habicht A, Kunisch R, Pavelic I, et al. Sodium storage in human tissues is mediated by glycosaminoglycan expression. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2017;313:F319-F325 pubmed publisher..These data support the hypothesis of water-independent sodium storage via regulated glycosaminoglycan synthesis in human tissues, including arteries. ..
- Lullmann Rauch R, Pods R, von Witzendorff B. The antimalarials quinacrine and chloroquine induce weak lysosomal storage of sulphated glycosaminoglycans in cell culture and in vivo. Toxicology. 1996;110:27-37 pubmed..This suggests that the asymmetric structure of the quinacrine molecule reduces the potency as compared to the symmetrically substituted bisbasic compounds with planary tricyclic ring systems such as tilorone and congeners. ..
- Schlötzer Schrehardt U, Zagorski Z, Holbach L, Hofmann Rummelt C, Naumann G. Corneal stromal calcification after topical steroid-phosphate therapy. Arch Ophthalmol. 1999;117:1414-8 pubmed
- Schmitt B, Zbyn S, Stelzeneder D, Jellus V, Paul D, Lauer L, et al. Cartilage quality assessment by using glycosaminoglycan chemical exchange saturation transfer and (23)Na MR imaging at 7 T. Radiology. 2011;260:257-64 pubmed publisher..28 (IQR, 1.20-1.58) for gagCEST and 1.26 (IQR, 1.21-1.48) for (23)Na MR imaging. The high correlation between the introduced gagCEST method and (23)Na imaging implies that gagCEST is a potentially useful biomarker for glycosaminoglycans. ..
- Fischer J, Hein L, Lullmann Rauch R, von Witzendorff B. Tilorone-induced lysosomal lesions: the bisbasic character of the drug is essential for its high potency to cause storage of sulphated glycosaminoglycans. Biochem J. 1996;315 ( Pt 2):369-75 pubmed..This is paralleled by, and presumably causally related to, strong physicochemical interactions with GAGs. ..
- Samsonov S, Teyra J, Pisabarro M. Docking glycosaminoglycans to proteins: analysis of solvent inclusion. J Comput Aided Mol Des. 2011;25:477-89 pubmed publisher..Our work highlights the current challenges of introducing solvent in protein-GAGs recognition studies, which is crucial for exploiting the full potential of these molecules for rational engineering. ..
- Osterrieder N. Construction and characterization of an equine herpesvirus 1 glycoprotein C negative mutant. Virus Res. 1999;59:165-77 pubmed..Taken together, EHV-1 gC was shown to play important roles in the early steps of infection and in release of virions, especially in primary equine cells, and contributes to EHV-1 virulence. ..
- Lüsebrink J, Schildgen V, Schildgen O. Novel therapies for an old virus: treatment of RSV infections in the 21st Century. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2009;7:1125-9 pubmed publisher..This review briefly summarizes the current status of RSV drug development and clinical trials for drugs available for the treatment of RSV infections. ..
- Mehlhorn A, Niemeyer P, Kaschte K, Muller L, Finkenzeller G, Hartl D, et al. Differential effects of BMP-2 and TGF-beta1 on chondrogenic differentiation of adipose derived stem cells. Cell Prolif. 2007;40:809-23 pubmed..Due to these findings, simultaneous stimulation of ASC with BMP-2 and TGF-beta1 seemed to be beneficial for complete differentiation of ASC into chondrocytes. ..
- Bussmann B, Reiche S, Marí Buyé N, Castells Sala C, Meisel H, Semino C. Chondrogenic potential of human dermal fibroblasts in a contractile, soft, self-assembling, peptide hydrogel. J Tissue Eng Regen Med. 2016;10:E54-62 pubmed publisher..This platform could be used in the future to obtain an autologous source of cells from a simple patient skin biopsy, which could be easily translated into a low-cost and effective regenerative therapy. ..
- Lorenz J, SchÃ¤fer N, Bauer R, Jenei Lanzl Z, Springorum R, GrÃ¤ssel S. Norepinephrine modulates osteoarthritic chondrocyte metabolism and inflammatory responses. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2016;24:325-34 pubmed publisher..The sympathetic nervous system (SNS) may have a dual function in OA pathology with preserving a stable chondrocyte phenotype via Î²-AR signaling and OA pathogenesis accelerating effects via Î±-AR signaling. ..
- Handrock K, Laschke A, Lullmann Rauch R, Vogt R, Ziegenhagen M. Lysosomal storage of sulfated glycosaminoglycans in cultured fibroblasts exposed to immunostimulatory acridine derivatives. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 1992;114:204-14 pubmed
- Milz S, Regner F, Putz R, Benjamin M. Expression of a wide range of extracellular matrix molecules in the tendon and trochlea of the human superior oblique muscle. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2002;43:1330-4 pubmed..In this context, it is also significant that link protein and type II collagen are now regarded as relevant antigenic targets for autoimmune responses in rheumatoid arthritis. ..
- Lullmann Rauch R. Drug-induced intralysosomal storage of sulfated glycosaminoglycans (GAGs): a methodical pitfall occurring with acridine derivatives. Exp Toxicol Pathol. 1994;46:315-22 pubmed..If this pitfall is not realized, the resulting inconsistencies may rise confusion among toxicologic pathologists who deal with drug-induced lysosomal storage disorders. ..
- Lullmann Rauch R, Pods R, von Witzendorff B. Tilorone-induced lysosomal storage of sulphated glycosaminoglycans can be separated from tilorone-induced enhancement of lysosomal enzyme secretion. Biochem Pharmacol. 1995;49:1223-33 pubmed..On the basis of previous results it may be hypothesized that tilorone and other symmetrically substituted dicationic compounds form complexes with the polyanionic GAG chains and thereby impair their enzymic degradation. ..
- Götte M, Kresse H. Defective glycosaminoglycan substitution of decorin in a patient with progeroid syndrome is a direct consequence of two point mutations in the galactosyltransferase I (beta4GalT-7) gene. Biochem Genet. 2005;43:65-77 pubmed
- Rosentreter A, Lappas A, Widder R, Alnawaiseh M, Dietlein T. Conjunctival repair after glaucoma drainage device exposure using collagen-glycosaminoglycane matrices. BMC Ophthalmol. 2018;18:60 pubmed publisher..Erosion of the drainage tube, creating buttonholes in the conjunctiva after implantation of glaucoma drainage devices, is a potentially serious problem. It can be managed successfully using a biodegradable CGM as a patch. ..
- MÃ¼ller Lutz A, Schleich C, Schmitt B, Antoch G, Matuschke F, Quentin M, et al. Gender, BMI and T2 dependencies of glycosaminoglycan chemical exchange saturation transfer in intervertebral discs. Magn Reson Imaging. 2016;34:271-5 pubmed publisher..59, p<0.01). Significantly lower gagCEST effects were found in males compared to females and with increased body mass index. The gagCEST effect was highly correlated with quantitative T2 imaging. ..
- Hahn A, Birkmann A, Wies E, Dorer D, Mahr K, Sturzl M, et al. Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus gH/gL: glycoprotein export and interaction with cellular receptors. J Virol. 2009;83:396-407 pubmed publisher..Whereas gH alone was able to bind to HS, we observed that only the gH/gL complex adhered to heparan sulfate-negative cells at lamellipodium-like structures. ..
- Fischer J. Drug-induced glycosaminoglycan storage: dose-dependent changes in the pattern of accumulated glycosaminoglycans in cultured bovine and human fibroblasts. Biochem Pharmacol. 1996;52:1331-7 pubmed
- Kremer M, Lang E, Berger A. Organotypical engineering of differentiated composite-skin equivalents of human keratinocytes in a collagen-GAG matrix (INTEGRA Artificial Skin) in a perfusion culture system. Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2001;386:357-63 pubmed..The development of automated perfusion culture systems for the production of composite grafts in sizes required clinically (scale-up) will be the next step in the cost-effective engineering of large-scale composite skin equivalents. ..
- Westrup D, Ragg H. Secondary thrombin-binding site, glycosaminoglycan binding domain and reactive center region of leuserpin-2 are strongly conserved in mammalian species. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1994;1217:90-2 pubmed..Comparisons of partial sequences from five different mammalian species show that the secondary thrombin binding site, the glycosaminoglycan binding domain and the reactive center region of the inhibitor are strongly conserved. ..
- Evers M, Saftig P, Schmidt P, Hafner A, McLoghlin D, Schmahl W, et al. Targeted disruption of the arylsulfatase B gene results in mice resembling the phenotype of mucopolysaccharidosis VI. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:8214-9 pubmed..This mouse model will be a valuable tool for studying pathogenesis of MPS VI and may help to evaluate therapeutical approaches for lysosomal storage diseases. ..
- Dittmann J, Keller C, Harisch G. Inhibition of adenylate cyclase of rat hepatic membranes by glycosaminoglycans. Life Sci. 1998;63:2199-208 pubmed..Further characterization of enzyme inhibition mediated by dermatan sulfate shows that this molecule exerts an inhibitory effect of mixed type. ..
- Aubin H, Kranz A, Hülsmann J, Lichtenberg A, Akhyari P. Decellularized whole heart for bioartificial heart. Methods Mol Biol. 2013;1036:163-78 pubmed publisher..Such a cardiac ECM platform directly derived from nature itself might help us to better understand and reproduce cardiac biology and may even lay the grounds for the construction of a bioartificial heart in the future. ..
- Bohne W, Ferguson D, Kohler K, Gross U. Developmental expression of a tandemly repeated, glycine- and serine-rich spore wall protein in the microsporidian pathogen Encephalitozoon cuniculi. Infect Immun. 2000;68:2268-75 pubmed..Further identification and characterization of stage-specific genes might help to unravel the complex intracellular differentiation process of microsporidia...
- Sasaki T, Mann K, Miner J, Miosge N, Timpl R. Domain IV of mouse laminin beta1 and beta2 chains. Eur J Biochem. 2002;269:431-42 pubmed..Immunogold staining localized both beta chains primarily to basement membranes of kidney, muscle and various other tissues. ..
- Boszczyk A, Boszczyk B, Putz R, Benjamin M, Milz S. Expression of a wide range of fibrocartilage molecules at the entheses of the alar ligaments - possible antigenic targets for rheumatoid arthritis?. J Rheumatol. 2003;30:1420-5 pubmed..The prominence of these molecules at the entheses raises the possibility that they could be antigenic targets for an autoimmune response in rheumatic diseases. ..
- Sammar M, Stricker S, Schwabe G, Sieber C, Hartung A, Hanke M, et al. Modulation of GDF5/BRI-b signalling through interaction with the tyrosine kinase receptor Ror2. Genes Cells. 2004;9:1227-38 pubmed..These results indicate for the first time a direct interaction of Ser/Thr- and Tyr-Kinase receptors and provide evidence for modulation of the Smad-pathway and GDF5 triggered chondrogenesis. ..
- Mann H, Sengle G, Gebauer J, Eble J, Paulsson M, Wagener R. Matrilins mediate weak cell attachment without promoting focal adhesion formation. Matrix Biol. 2007;26:167-74 pubmed..Even so, exogenous glycosaminoglycans are not able to compete for the attachment of HaCaT cells to matrilins. ..
- Oehler C, Kopitz J, Cantz M. Substrate specificity and inhibitor studies of a membrane-bound ganglioside sialidase isolated from human brain tissue. Biol Chem. 2002;383:1735-42 pubmed
- Rühland C, Schonherr E, Robenek H, Hansen U, Iozzo R, Bruckner P, et al. The glycosaminoglycan chain of decorin plays an important role in collagen fibril formation at the early stages of fibrillogenesis. FEBS J. 2007;274:4246-55 pubmed..These data show that at early stages of fibrillogenesis, the glycosaminoglycan chain of decorin has a reducing effect on collagen fibril diameter. ..
- Lullmann Rauch R, von Witzendorff B. Lysosomal storage of sulphated glycosaminoglycans induced by dicationic amphiphilic drug molecules: significance of the central planar ring system. Pharmacol Toxicol. 1996;79:109-13 pubmed..This is taken as support of the hypothesis that the planar tricyclic ring system is essential for the high potency of tilorone and its congeners to exert this adverse action. ..
- Brown J, Sasaki T, Göhring W, Yamada Y, Timpl R. The C-terminal domain V of perlecan promotes beta1 integrin-mediated cell adhesion, binds heparin, nidogen and fibulin-2 and can be modified by glycosaminoglycans. Eur J Biochem. 1997;250:39-46 pubmed..05-0.2 microM and about 2 microM). Perlecan domain V therefore seems to participate in the supramolecular assembly and cell connections of basement membranes. ..
- Götte M, Spillmann D, Yip G, Versteeg E, Echtermeyer F, van Kuppevelt T, et al. Changes in heparan sulfate are associated with delayed wound repair, altered cell migration, adhesion and contractility in the galactosyltransferase I (beta4GalT-7) deficient form of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. Hum Mol Genet. 2008;17:996-1009 pubmed..Our study suggests an HS-dependent basic mechanism behind the altered wound repair phenotype of beta4GalT-7-deficient EDS patients. ..
- Paulsen F, Thale A. Epithelial-connective tissue boundary in the oral part of the human soft palate. J Anat. 1998;193 ( Pt 3):457-67 pubmed..The function of the epithelial-connective tissue interface and the extracellular matrix arrangement in the lamina propria are discussed in order to promote the comparability of normal with pathologically altered human soft palates...
- Brinkmeyer S, Eckert R, Ragg H. Reformable intramolecular cross-linking of the N-terminal domain of heparin cofactor II: effects on enzyme inhibition. Eur J Biochem. 2004;271:4275-83 pubmed..Treatment with dithiothreitol and iodoacetamide restores activity towards alpha-thrombin, suggesting that release of the N terminus of HCII is an important component of the multistep interaction between the inhibitor and alpha-thrombin. ..
- Epple G, Langfeld K, Baier M, Holzhütter H, Schleuning W, Kottgen E, et al. Both lysine-clusters of the NH2-terminal prion-protein fragment PrP23-110 are essential for t-PA mediated plasminogen activation. Thromb Haemost. 2004;91:465-72 pubmed..Thus a possible role of heparin as a cofactor in the stimulation of plasminogen activation by t-PA could be the generation of a PrP23-110 form with both lysine clusters accessible for binding of t-PA and plasminogen. ..
- Tiedemann K, Batge B, Muller P, Reinhardt D. Interactions of fibrillin-1 with heparin/heparan sulfate, implications for microfibrillar assembly. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:36035-42 pubmed..These studies suggest that binding of fibrillin-1 to proteoglycan-associated heparan sulfate chains is an important step in the assembly of microfibrils. ..
- Milz S, Schlüter T, Putz R, Moriggl B, Ralphs J, Benjamin M. Fibrocartilage in the transverse ligament of the human atlas. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2001;26:1765-71 pubmed
- Neu U, Hengel H, Blaum B, Schowalter R, Macejak D, Gilbert M, et al. Structures of Merkel cell polyomavirus VP1 complexes define a sialic acid binding site required for infection. PLoS Pathog. 2012;8:e1002738 pubmed publisher..Since cell-surface glycans typically serve as primary attachment receptors for many viruses, we identify here a new role for glycans in mediating, and perhaps even modulating, post-attachment entry processes...
- Brüssow K, Torner H, Ratky J, Manabe N, Tuchscherer A. Experimental evidence for the influence of cumulus-oocyte-complexes on sperm release from the porcine oviductal sperm reservoir. J Reprod Dev. 2006;52:249-57 pubmed..6 +/- 0.2 to 3.1 +/- 0.2). In summary, this study was demonstrated that cumulus-oocyte-complexes may be involved in triggering sperm release from the pig oviductal SR and that HA might be related to sperm release. ..
- Titze J, Shakibaei M, Schafflhuber M, Schulze Tanzil G, Porst M, Schwind K, et al. Glycosaminoglycan polymerization may enable osmotically inactive Na+ storage in the skin. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2004;287:H203-8 pubmed..Inhibition or disinhibition of GAG chain polymerization may regulate osmotically inactive Na(+) storage. ..
- Franken S, Junghans U, Rosslenbroich V, Baader S, Hoffmann R, Gieselmann V, et al. Collapsin response mediator proteins of neonatal rat brain interact with chondroitin sulfate. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:3241-50 pubmed..In summary, our data indicate that CRMPs, in addition to their role as cytosolic signal transduction molecules, may subserve as yet unknown functions in the developing brain as ligands of the extracellular matrix. ..