Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on genotype in New Zealand
Locale: New Zealand
- Duchesnes C, Naggert J, Tatnell M, Beckman N, Marnane R, Rodrigues J, et al. New Zealand Ginger mouse: novel model that associates the tyrp1b pigmentation gene locus with regulation of lean body mass. Physiol Genomics. 2009;37:164-74 pubmed publisher..We propose NZG/Kgm mice as a novel model to delineate gene(s) that regulate 1) growth and metabolism, 2) resistance to Type 2 diabetes, and 3) preferential fat deposition in the subcutaneous and gonadal areas. ..
- Thorgeirsson T, Geller F, Sulem P, Rafnar T, Wiste A, Magnusson K, et al. A variant associated with nicotine dependence, lung cancer and peripheral arterial disease. Nature. 2008;452:638-642 pubmed publisher..The findings provide a case study of a gene-environment interaction, highlighting the role of nicotine addiction in the pathology of other serious diseases. ..
- Dodd A, Rowland S, Hawkes S, Kennedy M, Love D. Mutations in the adrenoleukodystrophy gene. Hum Mutat. 1997;9:500-11 pubmed..While rapid DNA-based diagnoses of ALD is now possible, there appears to be no simple correlation between genotype and phenotype...
- McDougall S, Agnew K, Cursons R, Hou X, Compton C. Parenteral treatment of clinical mastitis with tylosin base or penethamate hydriodide in dairy cattle. J Dairy Sci. 2007;90:779-89 pubmed..82.0% of cows treated with penethamate hydriodide or tylosin, respectively), or in SCC or milk production between dairy cows with clinical mastitis and those treated for clinical mastitis with 1 of 2 parenteral antibiotic therapies. ..
- Costello M. Ecology of sea lice parasitic on farmed and wild fish. Trends Parasitol. 2006;22:475-83 pubmed..salmonis and Caligus spp. This knowledge could be used to take measures to reduce the risks of lice affecting farmed and wild fish...
- Crawford A, Paterson K, Dodds K, Diez Tascon C, Williamson P, Roberts Thomson M, et al. Discovery of quantitative trait loci for resistance to parasitic nematode infection in sheep: I. Analysis of outcross pedigrees. BMC Genomics. 2006;7:178 pubmed..This study was undertaken to identify regions of the genome, quantitative trait loci (QTL) that contain genes affecting resistance to parasitic nematodes...
- Pokorny V, McQueen F, Yeoman S, Merriman M, Merriman A, Harrison A, et al. Evidence for negative association of the chemokine receptor CCR5 d32 polymorphism with rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2005;64:487-90 pubmed..This study provides further evidence for a protective effect of the CCR5 d32 variant on rheumatoid arthritis, consistent with a role for CCR5 and its ligands in disease pathogenesis. ..
- Reid S, van Roon Mom W, Wood P, Rees M, Owen M, Faull R, et al. TBP, a polyglutamine tract containing protein, accumulates in Alzheimer's disease. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2004;125:120-8 pubmed..We present this as evidence for the hypothesis that the accumulation or misfolding of this polyQ containing protein may be a contributing factor in Alzheimer's disease. ..
- Davis G, Galloway S, Ross I, Gregan S, Ward J, Nimbkar B, et al. DNA tests in prolific sheep from eight countries provide new evidence on origin of the Booroola (FecB) mutation. Biol Reprod. 2002;66:1869-74 pubmed..The DNA mutation test for FecB will enable breeding plans to be developed that allow the most effective use of this gene in Garole and Javanese Thin-tailed sheep and their crosses. ..
- Martin J, Begg E, Kennedy M, Roberts R, Barclay M. Is cytochrome P450 2C9 genotype associated with NSAID gastric ulceration?. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2001;51:627-30 pubmed..These results do not support the hypothesis that gastric ulceration resulting from NSAID usage is linked to the poor metabolizing genotypes of CYP2C9. ..
- Ferguson L, Browning B, Huebner C, Petermann I, Shelling A, Demmers P, et al. Single nucleotide polymorphisms in human Paneth cell defensin A5 may confer susceptibility to inflammatory bowel disease in a New Zealand Caucasian population. Dig Liver Dis. 2008;40:723-30 pubmed publisher..Identifying such functional variants will be prioritized in subsequent work. ..
- Young R, Hopkins R, Black P, Eddy C, Wu L, Gamble G, et al. Functional variants of antioxidant genes in smokers with COPD and in those with normal lung function. Thorax. 2006;61:394-9 pubmed..The 213Gly variant of the SOD3 gene may, through antioxidant or anti-inflammatory effects, confer a degree of resistance in some smokers to the development of COPD. ..
- Hennebry A, Oldham J, Shavlakadze T, Grounds M, Sheard P, Fiorotto M, et al. IGF1 stimulates greater muscle hypertrophy in the absence of myostatin in male mice. J Endocrinol. 2017;234:187-200 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that myostatin and IGF1 regulate skeletal muscle size, myofibre type and gonadal fat through distinct mechanisms that involve increasing the total abundance and phosphorylation status of AKT and rpS6. ..