Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on genetically modified plants in Japan
Topic: genetically modified plants
- Liu Q, Kasuga M, Sakuma Y, Abe H, Miura S, Yamaguchi Shinozaki K, et al. Two transcription factors, DREB1 and DREB2, with an EREBP/AP2 DNA binding domain separate two cellular signal transduction pathways in drought- and low-temperature-responsive gene expression, respectively, in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 1998;10:1391-406 pubmed..These results indicate that two independent families of DREB proteins, DREB1 and DREB2, function as trans-acting factors in two separate signal transduction pathways under low-temperature and dehydration conditions, respectively. ..
- Otani M, Hamada T, Katayama K, Kitahara K, Kim S, Takahata Y, et al. Inhibition of the gene expression for granule-bound starch synthase I by RNA interference in sweet potato plants. Plant Cell Rep. 2007;26:1801-7 pubmed..We conclude that RNA interference is an effective method for inhibiting gene expression in the starch metabolic pathway. ..
- Yamaguchi Shinozaki K, Shinozaki K. A novel cis-acting element in an Arabidopsis gene is involved in responsiveness to drought, low-temperature, or high-salt stress. Plant Cell. 1994;6:251-64 pubmed..Different cis-acting elements seem to function in the two-step induction of rd29A and in the slow induction of rd29B under conditions of dehydration, high salt, or low temperature. ..
- Takagi H, Hiroi T, Yang L, Tada Y, Yuki Y, Takamura K, et al. A rice-based edible vaccine expressing multiple T cell epitopes induces oral tolerance for inhibition of Th2-mediated IgE responses. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:17525-30 pubmed..These results indicate the potential of transgenic rice seeds in production and mucosal delivery of allergen-specific T cell epitope peptides for the induction of oral tolerance to pollen allergens. ..
- Sun H, Cui M, Ma B, Ezura H. Functional expression of the taste-modifying protein, miraculin, in transgenic lettuce. FEBS Lett. 2006;580:620-6 pubmed..These results demonstrate that the production of miraculin in edible plants can be a good alternative strategy to enhance the availability of this protein. ..
- Kajikawa M, Yamato K, Kohzu Y, Shoji S, Matsui K, Tanaka Y, et al. A front-end desaturase from Chlamydomonas reinhardtii produces pinolenic and coniferonic acids by omega13 desaturation in methylotrophic yeast and tobacco. Plant Cell Physiol. 2006;47:64-73 pubmed..PA and CA accumulated in the leaves of transgenic plants. The highest combined yield of PA and CA was 44.7% of total fatty acids, suggesting that PA and CA can be produced in higher plants on a large scale. ..
- Yoshii M, Shimizu T, Yamazaki M, Higashi T, Miyao A, Hirochika H, et al. Disruption of a novel gene for a NAC-domain protein in rice confers resistance to Rice dwarf virus. Plant J. 2009;57:615-25 pubmed publisher..We propose that RIM1 functions as a host factor that is required for multiplication of RDV in rice...
- Hirai S, Takahashi K, Abiko T, Kodama H. Loss of sense transgene-induced post-transcriptional gene silencing by sequential introduction of the same transgene sequences in tobacco. FEBS J. 2010;277:1695-703 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate an example in which overexpression of the transgene is established by complex epigenetic interactions among the transgenic loci. ..
- Kubo K, Entani T, Takara A, Wang N, Fields A, Hua Z, et al. Collaborative non-self recognition system in S-RNase-based self-incompatibility. Science. 2010;330:796-9 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal a collaborative non-self recognition system in plants. ..
- Tabata K, Oba K, Suzuki K, Esaka M. Generation and properties of ascorbic acid-deficient transgenic tobacco cells expressing antisense RNA for L-galactono-1,4-lactone dehydrogenase. Plant J. 2001;27:139-48 pubmed..Thus, we observed that decline in the AsA levels has an adverse effect on the division, growth and structure of a plant cell...
- Konishi H, Maeshima M, Komatsu S. Characterization of vacuolar membrane proteins changed in rice root treated with gibberellin. J Proteome Res. 2005;4:1775-80 pubmed..It suggests that aldolase C-1 regulates the V-ATPase mediated control of cell elongation that determines root growth. ..
- Fujiwara Y, Aiki Y, Yang L, Takaiwa F, Kosaka A, Tsuji N, et al. Extraction and purification of human interleukin-10 from transgenic rice seeds. Protein Expr Purif. 2010;72:125-30 pubmed publisher..The purified IL-10 comprised only noncovalent dimers and showed higher activity than the commercial IL-10. The purified IL-10 had very low endotoxin contamination and is expected to have broad clinical application. ..
- Furumoto T, Izui K, Quinn V, Furbank R, von Caemmerer S. Phosphorylation of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase is not essential for high photosynthetic rates in the C4 species Flaveria bidentis. Plant Physiol. 2007;144:1936-45 pubmed..This raises the intriguing question of what role this complexly regulated reversible phosphorylation of PEPC plays in C(4) photosynthesis. ..
- Nakagawa H, Jiang C, Sakakibara H, Kojima M, Honda I, Ajisaka H, et al. Overexpression of a petunia zinc-finger gene alters cytokinin metabolism and plant forms. Plant J. 2005;41:512-23 pubmed..On the basis of these results we discuss about possible functions of LIF...
- Chowdhury E, Mikami O, Murata H, Sultana P, Shimada N, Yoshioka M, et al. Fate of maize intrinsic and recombinant genes in calves fed genetically modified maize Bt11. J Food Prot. 2004;67:365-70 pubmed..These results also suggest that the recombinant cry1Ab genes were not transferred to the PBMC and tissues of calves fed Bt11 maize. ..
- Soyano T, Nishihama R, Morikiyo K, Ishikawa M, Machida Y. NQK1/NtMEK1 is a MAPKK that acts in the NPK1 MAPKKK-mediated MAPK cascade and is required for plant cytokinesis. Genes Dev. 2003;17:1055-67 pubmed publisher..Thus, NQK1/NtMEK1 (ANQ1) MAPKK appears to be a positive regulator of plant cytokinesis during meiosis as well as mitosis...
- Yun D, Hashimoto T, Yamada Y. Metabolic engineering of medicinal plants: transgenic Atropa belladonna with an improved alkaloid composition. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:11799-803 pubmed..Such metabolically engineered plants should prove useful as breeding materials for obtaining improved medicinal components...
- Kasuga M, Liu Q, Miura S, Yamaguchi Shinozaki K, Shinozaki K. Improving plant drought, salt, and freezing tolerance by gene transfer of a single stress-inducible transcription factor. Nat Biotechnol. 1999;17:287-91 pubmed
- Qin F, Sakuma Y, Tran L, Maruyama K, Kidokoro S, Fujita Y, et al. Arabidopsis DREB2A-interacting proteins function as RING E3 ligases and negatively regulate plant drought stress-responsive gene expression. Plant Cell. 2008;20:1693-707 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that DRIP1 and DRIP2 act as novel negative regulators in drought-responsive gene expression by targeting DREB2A to 26S proteasome proteolysis. ..
- Yang L, Suzuki K, Hirose S, Wakasa Y, Takaiwa F. Development of transgenic rice seed accumulating a major Japanese cedar pollen allergen (Cry j 1) structurally disrupted for oral immunotherapy. Plant Biotechnol J. 2007;5:815-26 pubmed
- Shimizu T, Yoshii M, Wei T, Hirochika H, Omura T. Silencing by RNAi of the gene for Pns12, a viroplasm matrix protein of Rice dwarf virus, results in strong resistance of transgenic rice plants to the virus. Plant Biotechnol J. 2009;7:24-32 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that interference with the expression of a protein that is critical for viral replication, such as the viroplasm matrix protein Pns12, might be a practical and effective way to control viral infection in crop plants. ..
- Hirose F, Shinomura T, Tanabata T, Shimada H, Takano M. Involvement of rice cryptochromes in de-etiolation responses and flowering. Plant Cell Physiol. 2006;47:915-25 pubmed publisher..In addition, OsCRY2 antisense transgenic rice flowered later than WT under both long-day and short-day conditions, indicating that Oscry2 is involved in the promotion of flowering time in rice...
- Shimada N, Murata H, Mikami O, Yoshioka M, Guruge K, Yamanaka N, et al. Effects of feeding calves genetically modified corn bt11: a clinico-biochemical study. J Vet Med Sci. 2006;68:1113-5 pubmed..The results suggest that the transgenic Bt11 has no negative clinico-biochemical effects on calves. ..
- Kapoor M, Baba A, Kubo K, Shibuya K, Matsui K, Tanaka Y, et al. Transgene-triggered, epigenetically regulated ectopic expression of a flower homeotic gene pMADS3 in Petunia. Plant J. 2005;43:649-61 pubmed..We speculate on possible molecular mechanisms underlying these epigenetic phenomena. ..
- Kikuchi R, Sage Ono K, Kamada H, Handa H, Ono M. PnMADS1, encoding an StMADS11-clade protein, acts as a repressor of flowering in Pharbitis nil. Physiol Plant. 2008;133:786-93 pubmed publisher..PnMADS1 also interacts with PnSAH3, an AP1-clade protein, suggesting that PnMADS1 has a functional role in flower formation as a heterodimer with other MADS-box protein(s). ..
- Shimoda Y, Shimoda Sasakura F, Kucho K, Kanamori N, Nagata M, Suzuki A, et al. Overexpression of class 1 plant hemoglobin genes enhances symbiotic nitrogen fixation activity between Mesorhizobium loti and Lotus japonicus. Plant J. 2009;57:254-63 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the basal level of NO in nodules inhibits nitrogen fixation, and overexpression of class 1 Hbs enhances symbiotic nitrogen fixation activity by removing NO as an inhibitor of nitrogenase. ..
- Ogawa K, Hatano Iwasaki A, Yanagida M, Iwabuchi M. Level of glutathione is regulated by ATP-dependent ligation of glutamate and cysteine through photosynthesis in Arabidopsis thaliana: mechanism of strong interaction of light intensity with flowering. Plant Cell Physiol. 2004;45:1-8 pubmed..These findings indicate that flowering in A. thaliana is regulated by the gamma-ECS reaction of GSH synthesis that is coupled with photosynthesis. ..
- Koizumi N, Ujino T, Sano H, Chrispeels M. Overexpression of a gene that encodes the first enzyme in the biosynthesis of asparagine-linked glycans makes plants resistant to tunicamycin and obviates the tunicamycin-induced unfolded protein response. Plant Physiol. 1999;121:353-61 pubmed..These observations suggest that excess GPT activity obviates the normal unfolded protein response that cells experience when exposed to tunicamycin. ..
- Iwata Y, Koizumi N. An Arabidopsis transcription factor, AtbZIP60, regulates the endoplasmic reticulum stress response in a manner unique to plants. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:5280-5 pubmed..These characteristics of AtbZIP60 imply a signal transduction pathway of the ER stress response unique to plants. ..
- Tarutani Y, Shiba H, Iwano M, Kakizaki T, Suzuki G, Watanabe M, et al. Trans-acting small RNA determines dominance relationships in Brassica self-incompatibility. Nature. 2010;466:983-6 pubmed publisher..Our finding may provide new insights into the widespread monoallelic gene expression systems. ..
- Kobayashi M, Seo S, Hirai K, Yamamoto Katou A, Katou S, Seto H, et al. Silencing of WIPK and SIPK mitogen-activated protein kinases reduces tobacco mosaic virus accumulation but permits systemic viral movement in tobacco possessing the N resistance gene. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2010;23:1032-41 pubmed publisher
- Tamai A, Meshi T. Cell-to-cell movement of Potato virus X: the role of p12 and p8 encoded by the second and third open reading frames of the triple gene block. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2001;14:1158-67 pubmed..Considering the likelihood that p12 and p8 are membrane proteins, it is suggested that intercellular as well as intracellular movement of PVX involves a membrane-mediated process...
- Ogawa D, Nakajima N, Sano T, Tamaoki M, Aono M, Kubo A, et al. Salicylic acid accumulation under O3 exposure is regulated by ethylene in tobacco plants. Plant Cell Physiol. 2005;46:1062-72 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that ethylene promotes SA accumulation by regulating the expression of the CM and PAL genes in O3-exposed tobacco...
- Moritoh S, Miki D, Akiyama M, Kawahara M, Izawa T, Maki H, et al. RNAi-mediated silencing of OsGEN-L (OsGEN-like), a new member of the RAD2/XPG nuclease family, causes male sterility by defect of microspore development in rice. Plant Cell Physiol. 2005;46:699-715 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that OsGEN-L plays an essential role in DNA metabolism required for early microspore development in rice...
- Sun H, Kataoka H, Yano M, Ezura H. Genetically stable expression of functional miraculin, a new type of alternative sweetener, in transgenic tomato plants. Plant Biotechnol J. 2007;5:768-77 pubmed..These results demonstrate that recombinant miraculin was correctly processed in transgenic tomato plants, and that this production system could be a good alternative to production from the native plant...
- Sompornpailin K, Makita Y, Yamazaki M, Saito K. A WD-repeat-containing putative regulatory protein in anthocyanin biosynthesis in Perilla frutescens. Plant Mol Biol. 2002;50:485-95 pubmed..We propose a model of genetic regulation in which the PFWD protein acts in signal transduction process in a variety of pathways through protein interaction with MYC proteins...
- Tsunoyama Y, Ishizaki Y, Morikawa K, Kobori M, Nakahira Y, Takeba G, et al. Blue light-induced transcription of plastid-encoded psbD gene is mediated by a nuclear-encoded transcription initiation factor, AtSig5. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:3304-9 pubmed publisher..We propose that AtSig5 acts as a mediator of blue light signaling that specifically activates the psbD BLRP in response to blue light in Arabidopsis...
- Narusaka Y, Nakashima K, Shinwari Z, Sakuma Y, Furihata T, Abe H, et al. Interaction between two cis-acting elements, ABRE and DRE, in ABA-dependent expression of Arabidopsis rd29A gene in response to dehydration and high-salinity stresses. Plant J. 2003;34:137-48 pubmed..These results indicate that DRE and ABRE are interdependent in the ABA-responsive expression of the rd29A gene in response to ABA in Arabidopsis. ..
- Kakita M, Murase K, Iwano M, Matsumoto T, Watanabe M, Shiba H, et al. Two distinct forms of M-locus protein kinase localize to the plasma membrane and interact directly with S-locus receptor kinase to transduce self-incompatibility signaling in Brassica rapa. Plant Cell. 2007;19:3961-73 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that MLPK isoforms localize to the papilla cell membrane and interact directly with SRK to transduce SI signaling...
- Behnam B, Kikuchi A, Celebi Toprak F, Kasuga M, Yamaguchi Shinozaki K, Watanabe K. Arabidopsis rd29A::DREB1A enhances freezing tolerance in transgenic potato. Plant Cell Rep. 2007;26:1275-82 pubmed..Additional testing will show whether this strategy can be used for tolerance breeding in potato and to increase the freezing tolerance of other agriculturally important crops. ..
- Morita R, Kusaba M, Iida S, Nishio T, Nishimura M. Knockout of glutelin genes which form a tandem array with a high level of homology in rice by gamma irradiation. Genes Genet Syst. 2007;82:321-7 pubmed..Our finding suggests that gamma-ray can be an effective mutagen to analyze tandem repeated and functionally redundant genes...
- Yoshimura Y, Beckie H, Matsuo K. Transgenic oilseed rape along transportation routes and port of Vancouver in western Canada. Environ Biosafety Res. 2006;5:67-75 pubmed..With current control measures, transgenic oilseed rape populations may persist and spread in these ruderal areas. ..
- Ueda T, Anai T, Tsukaya H, Hirata A, Uchimiya H. Characterization and subcellular localization of a small GTP-binding protein (Ara-4) from Arabidopsis: conditional expression under control of the promoter of the gene for heat-shock protein HSP81-1. Mol Gen Genet. 1996;250:533-9 pubmed..Using transgenic plants, we determined the subcellular localization of the product of ARA-4. The protein was predominantly localized on Golgi-derived vesicles, Golgi cisternae and the trans-Golgi network. ..
- Ono E, Fukuchi Mizutani M, Nakamura N, Fukui Y, Yonekura Sakakibara K, Yamaguchi M, et al. Yellow flowers generated by expression of the aurone biosynthetic pathway. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:11075-80 pubmed..Our findings herein not only demonstrate the biochemical basis of aurone biosynthesis but also open the way to engineering yellow flowers for major ornamental species lacking this color variant. ..
- Tajima H, Koizumi N. Induction of BiP by sugar independent of a cis-element for the unfolded protein response in Arabidopsis thaliana. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;346:926-30 pubmed..thaliana harboring luciferase (LUC) gene regulated by P-UPRE was analyzed. Sugar depletion also increased LUC activity. It is concluded that BiP is induced by sugar independent of the cis-element responsible for the UPR. ..
- Kawahigashi H, Hirose S, Ozawa K, Ido Y, Kojima M, Ohkawa H, et al. Analysis of substrate specificity of pig CYP2B22 and CYP2C49 towards herbicides by transgenic rice plants. Transgenic Res. 2005;14:907-17 pubmed..Assuming that public and commercial acceptance is forthcoming, these transgenic rice plants may become useful tools for the breeding of herbicide-tolerant crops. ..
- Katagiri T, Takahashi S, Shinozaki K. Involvement of a novel Arabidopsis phospholipase D, AtPLDdelta, in dehydration-inducible accumulation of phosphatidic acid in stress signalling. Plant J. 2001;26:595-605 pubmed..The accumulation of PtdOH in response to dehydration was significantly suppressed in AtPLDdelta antisense transgenic plants. These results suggest that AtPLDdelta may be involved in PtdOH accumulation in the dehydration stress response. ..
- Iwai T, Kaku H, Honkura R, Nakamura S, Ochiai H, Sasaki T, et al. Enhanced resistance to seed-transmitted bacterial diseases in transgenic rice plants overproducing an oat cell-wall-bound thionin. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2002;15:515-21 pubmed..These results indicate that the oat thionin effectively works in rice plants against bacterial attack. ..
- Osakabe Y, Miyata S, Urao T, Seki M, Shinozaki K, Yamaguchi Shinozaki K. Overexpression of Arabidopsis response regulators, ARR4/ATRR1/IBC7 and ARR8/ATRR3, alters cytokinin responses differentially in the shoot and in callus formation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;293:806-15 pubmed..Consistent with these results, ARR4 and ARR8 might play important roles in the sensoring system of cytokinin signal transduction pathway in various developmental and environmental conditions and the regulation of gene expression. ..
- Sakamoto H, Maruyama K, Sakuma Y, Meshi T, Iwabuchi M, Shinozaki K, et al. Arabidopsis Cys2/His2-type zinc-finger proteins function as transcription repressors under drought, cold, and high-salinity stress conditions. Plant Physiol. 2004;136:2734-46 pubmed..These results suggest that AZF2 and STZ function as transcriptional repressors to increase stress tolerance following growth retardation. ..
- Tozawa Y, Hasegawa H, Terakawa T, Wakasa K. Characterization of rice anthranilate synthase alpha-subunit genes OASA1 and OASA2. Tryptophan accumulation in transgenic rice expressing a feedback-insensitive mutant of OASA1. Plant Physiol. 2001;126:1493-506 pubmed..The OASA1(D323N) transgene may prove useful for the generation of crops with an increased Trp content. ..
- Mishiba K, Nishihara M, Nakatsuka T, Abe Y, Hirano H, Yokoi T, et al. Consistent transcriptional silencing of 35S-driven transgenes in gentian. Plant J. 2005;44:541-56 pubmed..These results indicated that cytosine methylation occurs exclusively in the 35S promoter regions of the expressed transgenes during selection of gentian transformants, causing transcriptional gene silencing...
- Badejo A, Eltelib H, Fukunaga K, Fujikawa Y, Esaka M. Increase in ascorbate content of transgenic tobacco plants overexpressing the acerola (Malpighia glabra) phosphomannomutase gene. Plant Cell Physiol. 2009;50:423-8 pubmed publisher..Transgenic tobacco plants overexpressing the acerola PMM gene showed about a 2-fold increase in AsA contents compared with the wild type, with a corresponding correlation with the PMM transcript levels and activities...
- Magome H, Yamaguchi S, Hanada A, Kamiya Y, Oda K. dwarf and delayed-flowering 1, a novel Arabidopsis mutant deficient in gibberellin biosynthesis because of overexpression of a putative AP2 transcription factor. Plant J. 2004;37:720-9 pubmed..These results suggest that DDF1 is involved in the regulation of GA biosynthesis and stress tolerance. The possible relation between the contents of endogenous GAs and acquisition of stress protection is discussed. ..
- Abe H, Yamaguchi Shinozaki K, Urao T, Iwasaki T, Hosokawa D, Shinozaki K. Role of arabidopsis MYC and MYB homologs in drought- and abscisic acid-regulated gene expression. Plant Cell. 1997;9:1859-68 pubmed..These results indicate that both the rd22BP1 (MYC) and ATMYB2 (MYB) proteins function as transcriptional activators in the dehydration- and ABA-inducible expression of the rd22 gene. ..
- Fujita M, Fujita Y, Maruyama K, Seki M, Hiratsu K, Ohme Takagi M, et al. A dehydration-induced NAC protein, RD26, is involved in a novel ABA-dependent stress-signaling pathway. Plant J. 2004;39:863-76 pubmed..Furthermore, RD26 activated a promoter of its target gene in Arabidopsis protoplasts. These results indicate that RD26 functions as a transcriptional activator in ABA-inducible gene expression under abiotic stress in plants. ..
- Huh G, Nakayama T, Meshi T, Iwabuchi M. Structural characteristics of two wheat histone H2A genes encoding distinct types of variants and functional differences in their promoter activity. Plant Mol Biol. 1997;33:791-802 pubmed..Histochemical analysis of transgenic tobacco plants carrying the chimeric genes showed that the promoters of the two H2A genes were active in developing seedlings and flower organs but were regulated in a different manner...
- Fujimori T, Sato E, Yamashino T, Mizuno T. PRR5 (PSEUDO-RESPONSE REGULATOR 5) plays antagonistic roles to CCA1 (CIRCADIAN CLOCK-ASSOCIATED 1) in Arabidopsis thaliana. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2005;69:426-30 pubmed..Evidence will be provided that PRR5 plays an antagonistic role(s) to the putative CCA1 clock component. ..
- Kosugi S, Ohashi Y. E2F sites that can interact with E2F proteins cloned from rice are required for meristematic tissue-specific expression of rice and tobacco proliferating cell nuclear antigen promoters. Plant J. 2002;29:45-59 pubmed..In addition, we found that a large number of replication- and mismatch repair-associated genes in Arabidopsis contain E2F binding sequences conserved in their predicted promoter regions. ..
- Nakashima K, Shinwari Z, Sakuma Y, Seki M, Miura S, Shinozaki K, et al. Organization and expression of two Arabidopsis DREB2 genes encoding DRE-binding proteins involved in dehydration- and high-salinity-responsive gene expression. Plant Mol Biol. 2000;42:657-65 pubmed..Several conserved sequences were found in the promoter regions of both genes. The beta-glucuronidase (GUS) reporter gene driven by the DREB2 promoters was induced by dehydration and high-salt stress in transgenic Arabidopsis plants. ..
- Ishitani M, Nakamura T, Han S, Takabe T. Expression of the betaine aldehyde dehydrogenase gene in barley in response to osmotic stress and abscisic acid. Plant Mol Biol. 1995;27:307-15 pubmed..Removal of plant roots before transferring the plants to high-salt conditions reduced only slightly the accumulation of BADH transcripts in the leaves...
- Mita S, Murano N, Akaike M, Nakamura K. Mutants of Arabidopsis thaliana with pleiotropic effects on the expression of the gene for beta-amylase and on the accumulation of anthocyanin that are inducible by sugars. Plant J. 1997;11:841-51 pubmed..These results suggest that the sugar-regulated expression of many genes in plants might be mediated by multiple signal-transduction pathways. ..
- Seo S, Katou S, Seto H, Gomi K, Ohashi Y. The mitogen-activated protein kinases WIPK and SIPK regulate the levels of jasmonic and salicylic acids in wounded tobacco plants. Plant J. 2007;49:899-909 pubmed..These results suggest that WIPK and SIPK play an important role in JA production in response to wounding, and that they function cooperatively to control SA biosynthesis. ..
- Mitsuda N, Seki M, Shinozaki K, Ohme Takagi M. The NAC transcription factors NST1 and NST2 of Arabidopsis regulate secondary wall thickenings and are required for anther dehiscence. Plant Cell. 2005;17:2993-3006 pubmed..None of the genes involved in programmed cell death were similarly affected. Our results suggest NAC transcription factors as possible regulators of secondary wall thickening in various tissues. ..
- Fukaki H, Nakao Y, Okushima Y, Theologis A, Tasaka M. Tissue-specific expression of stabilized SOLITARY-ROOT/IAA14 alters lateral root development in Arabidopsis. Plant J. 2005;44:382-95 pubmed..Thus, our data show that tissue-specific expression of a stabilized Aux/IAA protein allows analysis of tissue-specific auxin responses in LR development by inactivating ARF functions. ..
- Matsushita Y, Yoshioka K, Shigyo T, Takahashi H, Nyunoy H. Phosphorylation of the movement protein of cucumber mosaic virus in transgenic tobacco plants. Virus Genes. 2002;24:231-4 pubmed..The phosphoamino acid analysis indicated that the 3a protein contained phosphoserine but not phosphothreonine or phosphotyrosine. This is the first demonstration of the 3a protein phosphorylation in planta. ..
- Tsugawa H, Kagami T, Suzuki M. High-frequency transformation of Lobelia erinus L. by Agrobacterium-mediated gene transfer. Plant Cell Rep. 2004;22:759-64 pubmed..The transformation frequency at the stage of whole plants was very high--45% per inoculated disc...
- Magome H, Yamaguchi S, Hanada A, Kamiya Y, Oda K. The DDF1 transcriptional activator upregulates expression of a gibberellin-deactivating gene, GA2ox7, under high-salinity stress in Arabidopsis. Plant J. 2008;56:613-26 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that, under salinity stress, Arabidopsis plants actively reduce endogenous GA levels via the induction of GA 2-oxidase, with the result that growth is repressed for stress adaptation. ..
- Yamaguchi Shinozaki K, Shinozaki K. Characterization of the expression of a desiccation-responsive rd29 gene of Arabidopsis thaliana and analysis of its promoter in transgenic plants. Mol Gen Genet. 1993;236:331-40 pubmed..Histochemical analysis of GUS activity revealed that the rd29A promoter functions in almost all the organs and tissues of vegetative plants during water deficiency. ..
- Youssefian S, Nakamura M, Sano H. Tobacco plants transformed with the O-acetylserine (thiol) lyase gene of wheat are resistant to toxic levels of hydrogen sulphide gas. Plant J. 1993;4:759-69 pubmed..Fumigation experiments with toxic levels of hydrogen sulphide (H2S) gas showed that while sense transformants were highly resistant, control and antisense plants were severely damaged by the treatment...
- Yang P, Taoka K, Nakayama T, Iwabuchi M. Structural and functional characterization of two wheat histone H2B promoters. Plant Mol Biol. 1995;28:155-72 pubmed..Taken together, our data indicate that the H2B genes are regulated, in part, by the same mechanism as found in H3 and H4 gene transcription...
- Iuchi S, Kobayashi M, Taji T, Naramoto M, Seki M, Kato T, et al. Regulation of drought tolerance by gene manipulation of 9-cis-epoxycarotenoid dioxygenase, a key enzyme in abscisic acid biosynthesis in Arabidopsis. Plant J. 2001;27:325-33 pubmed..We improved drought tolerance by gene manipulation of AtNCED3 causing the accumulation of endogenous ABA. ..
- Kusaba S, Fukumoto M, Honda C, Yamaguchi I, Sakamoto T, Kano Murakami Y. Decreased GA1 content caused by the overexpression of OSH1 is accompanied by suppression of GA 20-oxidase gene expression. Plant Physiol. 1998;117:1179-84 pubmed..Based on these results, we conclude that overexpression of OSH1 causes a reduction of the level of GA1 by suppressing GA 20-oxidase expression...
- Kohchi T, Mukougawa K, Frankenberg N, Masuda M, Yokota A, Lagarias J. The Arabidopsis HY2 gene encodes phytochromobilin synthase, a ferredoxin-dependent biliverdin reductase. Plant Cell. 2001;13:425-36 pubmed..Database searches and hybridization studies suggest that HY2 is a unique gene in the Arabidopsis genome that is related to a family of proteins found in oxygenic photosynthetic bacteria. ..
- Koyama H, Takita E, Kawamura A, Hara T, Shibata D. Over expression of mitochondrial citrate synthase gene improves the growth of carrot cells in Al-phosphate medium. Plant Cell Physiol. 1999;40:482-8 pubmed..It appears, the overexpression of mitochondrial citrate synthase in carrot cells improves the growth rate in Al-phosphate medium possibly as a result of increased citrate excretion. ..
- He L, Ban Y, Inoue H, Matsuda N, Liu J, Moriguchi T. Enhancement of spermidine content and antioxidant capacity in transgenic pear shoots overexpressing apple spermidine synthase in response to salinity and hyperosmosis. Phytochemistry. 2008;69:2133-41 pubmed publisher..These results suggested that increase of Spd content in the transgenic line could, at least in part, lead to enhancing enzymatic and non-enzymatic antioxidant capacity. ..
- Nakamura T, Fukuda T, Nakano M, Hasebe M, Kameya T, Kanno A. The modified ABC model explains the development of the petaloid perianth of Agapanthus praecox ssp. orientalis (Agapanthaceae) flowers. Plant Mol Biol. 2005;58:435-45 pubmed..These observations indicate that the flower developmental mechanism of Agapanthus follows the modified ABC model. ..
- Tamaki S, Matsuo S, Wong H, Yokoi S, Shimamoto K. Hd3a protein is a mobile flowering signal in rice. Science. 2007;316:1033-6 pubmed..We show that the protein encoded by Hd3a, a rice ortholog of FT, moves from the leaf to the shoot apical meristem and induces flowering in rice. These results suggest that the Hd3a protein may be the rice florigen. ..
- Takase K, Hagiwara K, Onodera H, Nishizawa Y, Ugaki M, Omura T, et al. Constitutive expression of human lactoferrin and its N-lobe in rice plants to confer disease resistance. Biochem Cell Biol. 2005;83:239-49 pubmed..Of the pathogens tested, significant resistance against Burkholderia (Pseudomonas) plantarii, the causative agent of bacterial seedling blight disease, was observed in the transgenic plants expressing HLF or HLFN. ..
- Morikawa T, Mizutani M, Aoki N, Watanabe B, Saga H, Saito S, et al. Cytochrome P450 CYP710A encodes the sterol C-22 desaturase in Arabidopsis and tomato. Plant Cell. 2006;18:1008-22 pubmed publisher..Our results support the possibility that the CYP710 family may encode P450s of sterol C-22 desaturases in different organisms...
- Abe K, Osakabe K, Nakayama S, Endo M, Tagiri A, Todoriki S, et al. Arabidopsis RAD51C gene is important for homologous recombination in meiosis and mitosis. Plant Physiol. 2005;139:896-908 pubmed..The efficiency of homologous recombination in somatic cells in the mutant was markedly reduced relative to that in wild-type plants. ..
- Kuroda Y, Kaga A, Tomooka N, Vaughan D. The origin and fate of morphological intermediates between wild and cultivated soybeans in their natural habitats in Japan. Mol Ecol. 2010;19:2346-60 pubmed publisher..This is the first report on the detection of gene flow from cultivated to wild soybean at the molecular level. ..
- Nishihara M, Nakatsuka T. Genetic engineering of novel flower colors in floricultural plants: recent advances via transgenic approaches. Methods Mol Biol. 2010;589:325-47 pubmed publisher..Based on these results, genetic engineering of flower color for improvement of floricultural plants is discussed. ..
- Oka M, Miyamoto K, Okada K, Ueda J. Auxin polar transport and flower formation in Arabidopsis thaliana transformed with indoleacetamide hydrolase (iaaH) gene. Plant Cell Physiol. 1999;40:231-7 pubmed..These results suggest that the construction of the system of auxin polar transport and its normal activities are essential for the differentiation and the formation of floral meristem in the early growth stage of Arabidopsis thaliana. ..
- Kajikawa M, Matsui K, Ochiai M, Tanaka Y, Kita Y, Ishimoto M, et al. Production of arachidonic and eicosapentaenoic acids in plants using bryophyte fatty acid Delta6-desaturase, Delta6-elongase, and Delta5-desaturase genes. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2008;72:435-44 pubmed..Similarly in soybean, C20-LCPUFAs represented up to 19.5% of the total fatty acids in the seeds. These results suggest that M. polymorpha can provide genes crucial to the production of C20-LCPUFAs in transgenic plants...
- Muramoto T, Kohchi T, Yokota A, Hwang I, Goodman H. The Arabidopsis photomorphogenic mutant hy1 is deficient in phytochrome chromophore biosynthesis as a result of a mutation in a plastid heme oxygenase. Plant Cell. 1999;11:335-48 pubmed..These results indicate that the Arabidopsis HY1 gene encodes a plastid heme oxygenase necessary for phytochrome chromophore biosynthesis. ..
- Kiba T, Yamada H, Mizuno T. Characterization of the ARR15 and ARR16 response regulators with special reference to the cytokinin signaling pathway mediated by the AHK4 histidine kinase in roots of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell Physiol. 2002;43:1059-66 pubmed..Together, it was suggested that ARR15 and ARR16 are distinctly implicated in the presumed AHK4-mediated signaling pathway in roots. ..
- Miki D, Shimamoto K. De novo DNA methylation induced by siRNA targeted to endogenous transcribed sequences is gene-specific and OsMet1-independent in rice. Plant J. 2008;56:539-49 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that exogenous siRNAs are strong inducers of de novo DNA methylation in transcribed sequences of rice endogenous genes, but are insufficient to induce heterochromatin formation...