Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on genetic models in Australia
Topic: genetic models
- Mattick J, Amaral P, Dinger M, Mercer T, Mehler M. RNA regulation of epigenetic processes. Bioessays. 2009;31:51-9 pubmed publisher..Moreover, RNA-directed regulatory processes may also transfer epigenetic information not only within cells but also between cells and organ systems, as well as across generations. ..
- Weisbecker V, Goswami A, Wroe S, SAnchez Villagra M. Ossification heterochrony in the therian postcranial skeleton and the marsupial-placental dichotomy. Evolution. 2008;62:2027-41 pubmed publisher..This suggests that ossification heterochrony in marsupials is not directly related to diversity constraints on the marsupial forelimb and shoulder girdle. ..
- Ngan D, Kharbanda O, Byloff F, Darendeliler M. The genetic contribution to orthodontic root resorption: a retrospective twin study. Aust Orthod J. 2004;20:1-9 pubmed..A larger sample is needed before models of heritability can be used to determine the components contributing to the variance. ..
- Tanaka M. Evidence for positive selection on Mycobacterium tuberculosis within patients. BMC Evol Biol. 2004;4:31 pubmed..I discuss the possible roles of antibiotic treatment, the host immune system and extrapulmonary dissemination in creating opportunities for positive selection. ..
- Pickles J. Mutation in mitochondrial DNA as a cause of presbyacusis. Audiol Neurootol. 2004;9:23-33 pubmed..It is moreover suggested that apoptosis of the vulnerable cells of the inner ear may to some extent be preventable, or at least delayed. ..
- Pham T, Zuegg J. A probabilistic measure for alignment-free sequence comparison. Bioinformatics. 2004;20:3455-61 pubmed..All datasets and computer codes written in MATLAB are available upon request from the first author. ..
- Baker P, Jackson P, Aitken K. Bayesian estimation of marker dosage in sugarcane and other autopolyploids. Theor Appl Genet. 2010;120:1653-72 pubmed publisher..Simulation studies demonstrated that, in general, not only are more markers classified but that more markers are also correctly classified, particularly if overdispersion is present. ..
- Li J, Halgamuge S, Tang S. Genome classification by gene distribution: an overlapping subspace clustering approach. BMC Evol Biol. 2008;8:116 pubmed publisher..The method is suitable for application to genomes with high genetic exchange and various conserved gene arrangement, as demonstrated through our application on phages. ..
- Tanaka M, Phong R, Francis A. An evaluation of indices for quantifying tuberculosis transmission using genotypes of pathogen isolates. BMC Infect Dis. 2006;6:92 pubmed..Any transmission index needs to take into account mutation of the marker and the effects of sampling. Simple indices are unlikely to capture the full complexity of the underlying processes. ..
- Byrne M, Rowe F, Uthicke S. Molecular taxonomy, phylogeny and evolution in the family Stichopodidae (Aspidochirotida: Holothuroidea) based on COI and 16S mitochondrial DNA. Mol Phylogenet Evol. 2010;56:1068-81 pubmed publisher..Evolutionary rates based on comparison of sequence from trans-ithmian Isostichopus species estimated that Stichopus and Isostichopus diverged ca. 5.5-10.7Ma (Miocene). More recent splits were estimated to be younger than 1Ma...
- Mohamad N, Boden M. The proteins of intra-nuclear bodies: a data-driven analysis of sequence, interaction and expression. BMC Syst Biol. 2010;4:44 pubmed publisher..While the nucleolus and nuclear speckles have received more attention experimentally, the PML nuclear body and the Cajal body are still incompletely characterized in terms of their roles and protein complement...
- Cavanagh C, Jonas E, Hobbs M, Thomson P, Tammen I, Raadsma H. Mapping Quantitative Trait Loci (QTL) in sheep. III. QTL for carcass composition traits derived from CT scans and aligned with a meta-assembly for sheep and cattle carcass QTL. Genet Sel Evol. 2010;42:36 pubmed publisher..The assembly demonstrated QTL with effects on carcass composition in homologous regions on OAR1, 2, 6 and 21. ..
- Bröer A, Klingel K, Kowalczuk S, Rasko J, Cavanaugh J, Broer S. Molecular cloning of mouse amino acid transport system B0, a neutral amino acid transporter related to Hartnup disorder. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:24467-76 pubmed..Thus, the human homologue of this transporter is an excellent functional and positional candidate for Hartnup disorder...
- Millar A, Gubler F. The Arabidopsis GAMYB-like genes, MYB33 and MYB65, are microRNA-regulated genes that redundantly facilitate anther development. Plant Cell. 2005;17:705-21 pubmed
- Little M, Rumballe B, Georgas K, Yamada T, Teasdale R. Conserved modularity and potential for alternate splicing in mouse and human Slit genes. Int J Dev Biol. 2002;46:385-91 pubmed..This further implies the potential generation of multiple Slit protein isoforms varying in their number of repeat units. cDNA library screening and EST database searching verified that such alternate splicing does occur. ..
- Speirs H, Wang W, Benjafield A, Morris B. No association with hypertension of CLCNKB and TNFRSF1B polymorphisms at a hypertension locus on chromosome 1p36. J Hypertens. 2005;23:1491-6 pubmed..Our data fail to support previous association findings for TNFRSF1B and CLCNKB at the chromosome 1p36 locus implicated in hypertension. ..
- Stanley E, Biben C, Elefanty A, Barnett L, Koentgen F, Robb L, et al. Efficient Cre-mediated deletion in cardiac progenitor cells conferred by a 3'UTR-ires-Cre allele of the homeobox gene Nkx2-5. Int J Dev Biol. 2002;46:431-9 pubmed..Our data suggest that the Nkx2-5IRESCre strain will be useful for genetic dissection of the multiple tiers of lineage allocation to the forming heart as well as of molecular interactions within the heart fields and heart tube. ..
- Temple M, Freebody J, Murray V. Genomic and phylogenetic footprinting at the epsilon-globin silencer region in intact human cells. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2004;1678:126-34 pubmed..Significant areas of conservation were found that correlated with known transcription factor binding motifs. This phylogenetic footprinting analysis was compared to the genomic footprinting data at the epsilon-globin silencer region. ..
- Korres H, Mavris M, Morona R, Manning P, Verma N. Topological analysis of GtrA and GtrB proteins encoded by the serotype-converting cassette of Shigella flexneri. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;328:1252-60 pubmed..flexneri. A model is proposed showing how both O-antigen synthesis and modification take place in S. flexneri. ..
- Hunter M, Angelicheva D, Tournev I, Ingley E, Chan D, Watts G, et al. NDRG1 interacts with APO A-I and A-II and is a functional candidate for the HDL-C QTL on 8q24. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;332:982-92 pubmed
- Tam P, Loebel D. Gene function in mouse embryogenesis: get set for gastrulation. Nat Rev Genet. 2007;8:368-81 pubmed
- Meadows J, Chan E, Kijas J. Linkage disequilibrium compared between five populations of domestic sheep. BMC Genet. 2008;9:61 pubmed publisher..Four economically important Australian sheep flocks, three pure breeds (White Faced Suffolk, Poll Dorset, Merino) and a crossbred population (Merino x Border Leicester), along with an inbred Australian Merino museum flock were analysed...
- Townsend G, Hughes T, Luciano M, Bockmann M, Brook A. Genetic and environmental influences on human dental variation: a critical evaluation of studies involving twins. Arch Oral Biol. 2009;54 Suppl 1:S45-51 pubmed publisher..Whole-genome linkage analysis, association analysis of putative candidate genes, and whole genome association approaches, now offer exciting opportunities to locate key genes involved in human dental development. ..
- Cakouros D, Mills K, Denton D, Paterson A, Daish T, Kumar S. dLKR/SDH regulates hormone-mediated histone arginine methylation and transcription of cell death genes. J Cell Biol. 2008;182:481-95 pubmed publisher..Consistent with these observations, the loss of dLKR/SDH in Drosophila enhances hormone-regulated gene expression, affecting the developmental timing of gene activation. ..
- Dawson M, Sen Gupta A, England M. Coupled biophysical global ocean model and molecular genetic analyses identify multiple introductions of cryptogenic species. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:11968-73 pubmed
- Shandala T, Kortschak R, Gregory S, Saint R. The Drosophila dead ringer gene is required for early embryonic patterning through regulation of argos and buttonhead expression. Development. 1999;126:4341-9 pubmed..This study establishes dri as an essential co-factor in the regulated expression of specific patterning genes during early embryogenesis. ..
- Maleszka R, de Couet H, Miklos G. Data transferability from model organisms to human beings: insights from the functional genomics of the flightless region of Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:3731-6 pubmed
- Shi B, Symons R, Palukaitis P. The cucumovirus 2b gene drives selection of inter-viral recombinants affecting the crossover site, the acceptor RNA and the rate of selection. Nucleic Acids Res. 2008;36:1057-71 pubmed publisher..The recombination occurred in a non-random manner, involved no intermediates and probably was generated via a copy-choice mechanism during (+) strand RNA synthesis...
- Robinson A, Guilfoyle A, Harrop S, Boucher Y, Stokes H, Curmi P, et al. A putative house-cleaning enzyme encoded within an integron array: 1.8 A crystal structure defines a new MazG subtype. Mol Microbiol. 2007;66:610-21 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that iMazG acts as a house-cleaning enzyme, preventing the incorporation of damaging non-canonical nucleotides into host-cell DNA...
- Dalrymple B, Swadling Y. Expression of a Butyrivibrio fibrisolvens E14 gene (cinB) encoding an enzyme with cinnamoyl ester hydrolase activity is negatively regulated by the product of an adjacent gene (cinR). Microbiology. 1997;143 ( Pt 4):1203-10 pubmed
- Houlden B, Greville W, Sherwin W. Evolution of MHC class I loci in marsupials: characterization of sequences from koala (Phascolarctos cinereus). Mol Biol Evol. 1996;13:1119-27 pubmed publisher..In addition, marsupial gene families cluster away from human gene families, supporting a different origin of MHC genes for marsupials and eutherians...
- ..There is every possibility that many of these variations will alter the interactions between regulatory RNAs and their targets, a prospect that should be borne in mind in future functional analyses. ..
- McGrath J, Saha S, Burne T, Eyles D. A systematic review of the association between common single nucleotide polymorphisms and 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2010;121:471-7 pubmed publisher..Further research is required in order to clarify the genetic architecture underlying 25OHD serum concentrations, and to unravel the mechanisms of action responsible for these associations. ..
- Krützen M, Mann J, Heithaus M, Connor R, Bejder L, Sherwin W. Cultural transmission of tool use in bottlenose dolphins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:8939-43 pubmed
- Wylie S, Jones R. Role of recombination in the evolution of host specialization within bean yellow mosaic virus. Phytopathology. 2009;99:512-8 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that recombination played an important role in the evolution of BYMV strain groups that specialize in infecting particular groups of domesticated plants. ..
- House C, Simmons L. The evolution of male genitalia: patterns of genetic variation and covariation in the genital sclerites of the dung beetle Onthophagus taurus. J Evol Biol. 2005;18:1281-92 pubmed..Even though levels of V(A) in individual genital sclerites may be low, there may still be sufficient V(A) in multivariate trait space for selection to generate evolutionary change in the overall morphology of male genitalia...
- Wilson S, Adam G, Langdown M, Reneland R, Braun A, Andrew T, et al. Linkage and potential association of obesity-related phenotypes with two genes on chromosome 12q24 in a female dizygous twin cohort. Eur J Hum Genet. 2006;14:340-8 pubmed..0067) and P2RX4 (P = 0.017). These data provide replication and refinement of the 12q24 obesity locus and suggest that genes involved in phospholipase and purinoreceptor pathways may regulate fat accumulation and distribution. ..
- Ye P, Nadkarni M, Hunter N. Regulation of E-cadherin and TGF-beta3 expression by CD24 in cultured oral epithelial cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;349:229-35 pubmed..CD24 could play an important role in modulating expression of genes that regulate epithelial differentiation in periodontal disease. ..
- Jayaswal V, Robinson J, Jermiin L. Estimation of phylogeny and invariant sites under the general Markov model of nucleotide sequence evolution. Syst Biol. 2007;56:155-62 pubmed..We also show that estimates of invariant sites obtained using our method are fairly accurate when applied to data simulated under the general Markov model. ..