Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on gene silencing in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: gene silencing
Publications191 found, 100 shown here
- Wu W, Cheng Y, Keller C, Ernst J, Kumar S, Mishra T, et al. Dynamics of the epigenetic landscape during erythroid differentiation after GATA1 restoration. Genome Res. 2011;21:1659-71 pubmed publisher..These determine permissiveness for expression, with subsequent induction or repression mediated by distinctive combinations of transcription factors. ..
- Bajaj A, Li Q, Zheng Q, Pumiglia K. Loss of NF1 expression in human endothelial cells promotes autonomous proliferation and altered vascular morphogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e49222 pubmed publisher..These insights may provide new approaches to therapeutically addressing vascular abnormalities in these patients while underscoring a critical role for normal Ras regulation in maintaining the health and function of the vasculature. ..
- Soltis D, Buggs R, Barbazuk W, Schnable P, Soltis P. On the origins of species: does evolution repeat itself in polyploid populations of independent origin?. Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol. 2009;74:215-23 pubmed publisher..This methodology is particularly promising for groups such as Tragopogon for which limited genetic and genomic resources are available...
- Simon S, Meyers B. Small RNA-mediated epigenetic modifications in plants. Curr Opin Plant Biol. 2011;14:148-55 pubmed publisher..As the multiple layers of epigenetic regulation in plants are dissected, a more comprehensive understanding of the biological importance of epigenetic marks and states has been developed. ..
- Daftary G, Lomberk G, Buttar N, Allen T, Grzenda A, Zhang J, et al. Detailed structural-functional analysis of the Krüppel-like factor 16 (KLF16) transcription factor reveals novel mechanisms for silencing Sp/KLF sites involved in metabolism and endocrinology. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:7010-25 pubmed publisher..These data also contribute to the new functional information that is applicable to understanding KLF16 and other highly related KLF proteins. ..
- Zhang P, Feng S, Liu G, Wang H, Zhu H, Ren Q, et al. Mutant B-Raf(V600E) Promotes Melanoma Paracellular Transmigration by Inducing Thrombin-mediated Endothelial Junction Breakdown. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:2087-106 pubmed publisher..We concluded that the activation of thrombin generation by cancer cells in plasma is an important process regulating melanoma extravasation by disrupting endothelial junction integrity. ..
- Sossey Alaoui K, Su G, Malaj E, Roe B, Cowell J. WAVE3, an actin-polymerization gene, is truncated and inactivated as a result of a constitutional t(1;13)(q21;q12) chromosome translocation in a patient with ganglioneuroblastoma. Oncogene. 2002;21:5967-74 pubmed..From analysis of its expression pattern and function, WAVE3 is a candidate tumor suppressor gene, at least in some forms of neuroblastoma...
- Quirk C, Seachrist D, Nilson J. Embryonic expression of the luteinizing hormone beta gene appears to be coupled to the transient appearance of p8, a high mobility group-related transcription factor. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:1680-5 pubmed..Taken together, our data indicate that p8 is a stage-specific component of the gonadotrope transcriptome that may play a functional role in the initiation of LH beta gene expression during embryonic cellular differentiation. ..
- Chung I, Karpf A, Muindi J, Conroy J, Nowak N, Johnson C, et al. Epigenetic silencing of CYP24 in tumor-derived endothelial cells contributes to selective growth inhibition by calcitriol. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:8704-14 pubmed
- Morales J, Perdew G. Carboxyl terminus of hsc70-interacting protein (CHIP) can remodel mature aryl hydrocarbon receptor (AhR) complexes and mediate ubiquitination of both the AhR and the 90 kDa heat-shock protein (hsp90) in vitro. Biochemistry. 2007;46:610-21 pubmed
- Yang J, Wahdan Alaswad R, Danielpour D. Critical role of Smad2 in tumor suppression and transforming growth factor-beta-induced apoptosis of prostate epithelial cells. Cancer Res. 2009;69:2185-90 pubmed publisher..Given previous reports that NRP-152 cells have a stem cell phenotype, we speculate a critical role for Smad2 as a tumor suppressor in the basal epithelial or stem cell compartment of the prostate. ..
- Hsi L, Kundu S, Palomo J, Xu B, Ficco R, Vogelbaum M, et al. Silencing IL-13R?2 promotes glioblastoma cell death via endogenous signaling. Mol Cancer Ther. 2011;10:1149-60 pubmed publisher..Identifying a mechanistic pathway that can be targeted for pharmacologic intervention will have applied implications to developing novel and effective treatments of GBM. ..
- Zealy R, Fomin M, Davila S, Makowsky D, Thigpen H, McDowell C, et al. Long noncoding RNA complementarity and target transcripts abundance. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2018;1861:224-234 pubmed publisher..Altogether, the current study demonstrates that partial complementarity of lncRNAs and mRNAs (even miRNAs) assist in determining target RNA expression and quantity. ..
- Shanower G, Muller M, Blanton J, Honti V, Gyurkovics H, Schedl P. Characterization of the grappa gene, the Drosophila histone H3 lysine 79 methyltransferase. Genetics. 2005;169:173-84 pubmed
- Alpatov R, Munguba G, Caton P, Joo J, Shi Y, Shi Y, et al. Nuclear speckle-associated protein Pnn/DRS binds to the transcriptional corepressor CtBP and relieves CtBP-mediated repression of the E-cadherin gene. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:10223-35 pubmed..This interaction may reflect the existence of coupling factors involved in CtBP-mediated transcriptional regulation and mRNA processing events. ..
- McGillivary G, Bakaletz L. The multifunctional host defense peptide SPLUNC1 is critical for homeostasis of the mammalian upper airway. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e13224 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data have provided the first in vivo evidence that cSPLUNC1 functions to maintain homeostasis of the upper airway and, thereby, is critical for protection of the middle ear...
- Varga A, Stourman N, Zheng Q, Safina A, Quan L, Li X, et al. Silencing of the Tropomyosin-1 gene by DNA methylation alters tumor suppressor function of TGF-beta. Oncogene. 2005;24:5043-52 pubmed..Together these results suggest that epigenetic suppression of TPM1 may alter TGF-beta tumor suppressor function and contribute to metastatic properties of tumor cells. ..
- Kachroo A, Fu D, Havens W, Navarre D, Kachroo P, Ghabrial S. An oleic acid-mediated pathway induces constitutive defense signaling and enhanced resistance to multiple pathogens in soybean. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2008;21:564-75 pubmed publisher..We also demonstrate the efficacy of BPMV-induced gene silencing as a tool for functional studies in soybean. ..
- Xiang N, Zhao R, Song G, Zhong W. Selenite reactivates silenced genes by modifying DNA methylation and histones in prostate cancer cells. Carcinogenesis. 2008;29:2175-81 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates that Se can epigenetically modulate DNA and histones to activate methylation-silenced genes. These epigenetic modifications may contribute to cancer prevention by Se. ..
- Shu Y, Shu D, Haque F, Guo P. Fabrication of pRNA nanoparticles to deliver therapeutic RNAs and bioactive compounds into tumor cells. Nat Protoc. 2013;8:1635-59 pubmed publisher..The time required for completing one round of this protocol is 3-4 weeks when including in vitro functional assays, or 2-3 months when including in vivo studies. ..
- Ai X, Parthun M. The nuclear Hat1p/Hat2p complex: a molecular link between type B histone acetyltransferases and chromatin assembly. Mol Cell. 2004;14:195-205 pubmed..The association of Hif1p with acetylated H4 requires Hat1p and Hat2p providing a link between type B histone acetyltransferases and chromatin assembly. ..
- Liao F, Taishi P, Churchill L, Urza M, Krueger J. Localized suppression of cortical growth hormone-releasing hormone receptors state-specifically attenuates electroencephalographic delta waves. J Neurosci. 2010;30:4151-9 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that endogenous cortical GHRH activates local cortical cells to affect EEG delta wave power state-specifically. Results are also consistent with the hypothesis that GHRH contributes to local network state regulation. ..
- Hockla A, Miller E, Salameh M, Copland J, Radisky D, Radisky E. PRSS3/mesotrypsin is a therapeutic target for metastatic prostate cancer. Mol Cancer Res. 2012;10:1555-66 pubmed publisher..This study defines mesotrypsin as an important mediator of prostate cancer progression and metastasis, and suggests that inhibition of mesotrypsin activity may provide a novel modality for prostate cancer treatment. ..
- Ling X, Calinski D, Chanan Khan A, Zhou M, Li F. Cancer cell sensitivity to bortezomib is associated with survivin expression and p53 status but not cancer cell types. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2010;29:8 pubmed publisher..Further mechanistic studies along with this line may impact the optimal clinical application of bortezomib in solid cancer therapeutics. ..
- Zhao X, Ogunwobi O, Liu C. Survivin inhibition is critical for Bcl-2 inhibitor-induced apoptosis in hepatocellular carcinoma cells. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e21980 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data suggest the combination treatment of Bcl-2 inhibitor and survivin inhibition may have a great potential for liver cancer therapy. ..
- O Hara S, Splinter P, Gajdos G, Trussoni C, Fernandez Zapico M, Chen X, et al. NFkappaB p50-CCAAT/enhancer-binding protein beta (C/EBPbeta)-mediated transcriptional repression of microRNA let-7i following microbial infection. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:216-25 pubmed publisher..Our results provide a novel mechanism of transcriptional regulation of cholangiocyte let-7i expression following microbial insult, a process with potential implications for epithelial innate immune responses in general...
- Reynolds J, Law W, Mahajan S, Aalinkeel R, Nair B, Sykes D, et al. Nanoparticle based galectin-1 gene silencing, implications in methamphetamine regulation of HIV-1 infection in monocyte derived macrophages. J Neuroimmune Pharmacol. 2012;7:673-85 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the effects of methamphetamine on HIV-1 infection were attenuated in the presence of the nanoplex in MDM. ..
- Kim E, Kim M, Woo D, Shin Y, Shin J, Chang N, et al. Phosphorylation of EZH2 activates STAT3 signaling via STAT3 methylation and promotes tumorigenicity of glioblastoma stem-like cells. Cancer Cell. 2013;23:839-52 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of EZH2 reverses the silencing of Polycomb target genes and diminishes STAT3 activity, suggesting therapeutic strategies. ..
- Wechezak A, Coan D. Dvl2 silencing in postdevelopmental cells results in aberrant cell membrane activity and actin disorganization. J Cell Physiol. 2005;202:867-73 pubmed..This study represents the first documentation of Dvl2 in postdevelopmental endothelial cells and its possible role in cell migration via manipulation of actin filament bundles. ..
- Corlazzoli F, Rossetti S, Bistulfi G, Ren M, Sacchi N. Derangement of a factor upstream of RARalpha triggers the repression of a pleiotropic epigenetic network. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e4305 pubmed publisher..Derangement/lack of a critical factor necessary for RARalpha function induces epigenetic repression of a RA-regulated gene network downstream of RARalpha, with major pleiotropic biological outcomes. ..
- Christophi G, Panos M, Hudson C, Tsikkou C, Mihai C, Mejico L, et al. Interferon-beta treatment in multiple sclerosis attenuates inflammatory gene expression through inducible activity of the phosphatase SHP-1. Clin Immunol. 2009;133:27-44 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, interferon-beta treatment upregulates SHP-1 expression resulting in decreased transcription factor activation and inflammatory gene expression important in MS pathogenesis. ..
- Li H, Li W, Ding S. Induction and suppression of RNA silencing by an animal virus. Science. 2002;296:1319-21 pubmed..These findings establish RNA silencing as an adaptive antiviral defense in animal cells. B2 also inhibits RNA silencing in transgenic plants, providing evidence for a conserved RNA silencing pathway in the plant and animal kingdoms...
- Reddy G, Meyerowitz E. Stem-cell homeostasis and growth dynamics can be uncoupled in the Arabidopsis shoot apex. Science. 2005;310:663-7 pubmed
- Hussain S, Perlman S, Gallagher T. Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus protein 6 accelerates murine hepatitis virus infections by more than one mechanism. J Virol. 2008;82:7212-22 pubmed publisher..Thus, the SARS-CoV protein 6 accelerates MHV infections by more than one mechanism...
- Penkert R, Kalejta R. Human embryonic stem cell lines model experimental human cytomegalovirus latency. MBio. 2013;4:e00298-13 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we show that known molecular aspects of HCMV latency are faithfully recapitulated in these cells. In total, we present ESCs as a novel, tractable model for studies of HCMV latency. ..
- Sung S, Amasino R. Vernalization in Arabidopsis thaliana is mediated by the PHD finger protein VIN3. Nature. 2004;427:159-64 pubmed..Here we identify a gene with a function in the measurement of the duration of cold exposure and in the establishment of the vernalized state. We show that this silencing involves changes in the modification of histones in FLC chromatin. ..
- Liu T, Raval A, Chen S, Matkovic J, Byrd J, Plass C. CpG island methylation and expression of the secreted frizzled-related protein gene family in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Cancer Res. 2006;66:653-8 pubmed..Our results suggest that silencing of SFRPs by CpG island methylation is one possible mechanism contributing to aberrant activation of Wnt signaling pathway in CLL. ..
- Hu Y, Lu X, Barnes E, Yan M, Lou H, Luo G. Recql5 and Blm RecQ DNA helicases have nonredundant roles in suppressing crossovers. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:3431-42 pubmed..Thus, this study identifies a previously unknown Recql5-dependent, Blm-independent pathway for suppressing crossovers during mitosis in mice. ..
- Maine E, Hauth J, Ratliff T, Vought V, She X, Kelly W. EGO-1, a putative RNA-dependent RNA polymerase, is required for heterochromatin assembly on unpaired dna during C. elegans meiosis. Curr Biol. 2005;15:1972-8 pubmed..ego-1 interacts genetically with him-17, another regulator of chromatin and meiosis, to promote germline development. We conclude that EGO-1 is an essential component of meiotic silencing in C. elegans. ..
- Walker W, Zhou Z, Ota S, Wynshaw Boris A, Hurlin P. Mnt-Max to Myc-Max complex switching regulates cell cycle entry. J Cell Biol. 2005;169:405-13 pubmed..These results demonstrate that Mnt-Myc antagonism plays a fundamental role in regulating cell cycle entry and proliferation. ..
- Rossetti S, Hoogeveen A, Liang P, Stanciu C, van der Spek P, Sacchi N. A distinct epigenetic signature at targets of a leukemia protein. BMC Genomics. 2007;8:38 pubmed..These findings strengthen the conclusion that leukemia-specific oncoproteins can induce non-random epigenetic changes. ..
- Aqeilan R, Hagan J, Aqeilan H, Pichiorri F, Fong L, Croce C. Inactivation of the Wwox gene accelerates forestomach tumor progression in vivo. Cancer Res. 2007;67:5606-10 pubmed
- Gupta S, Young D, Maitra R, Gupta A, Popovic Z, Yong S, et al. Prevention of cardiac hypertrophy and heart failure by silencing of NF-kappaB. J Mol Biol. 2008;375:637-49 pubmed..Our data suggest, for the first time, that inhibition of NF-kappaB using direct gene delivery of sh-p65 RNA results in regression of cardiac hypertrophy. These data validate NF-kappaB as a therapeutic target to prevent hypertrophy/HF. ..
- Tarnawski A, Pai R, Tanigawa T, Matysiak Budnik T, Ahluwalia A. PTEN silencing reverses aging-related impairment of angiogenesis in microvascular endothelial cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;394:291-6 pubmed publisher..This is the first demonstration of increased PTEN expression in human microvascular endothelial cells derived from aging tissues and that elevated PTEN is a major factor responsible for aging-related impairment of in vitro angiogenesis. ..
- El Gazzar M, Church A, Liu T, McCall C. MicroRNA-146a regulates both transcription silencing and translation disruption of TNF-? during TLR4-induced gene reprogramming. J Leukoc Biol. 2011;90:509-19 pubmed publisher..Our results also imply that therapies designed to reverse endotoxin tolerance as potential therapies for sepsis should be directed at the transcription and translation pathways of reprogramming. ..
- Bicocca V, Chang B, Masouleh B, MUSCHEN M, Loriaux M, Druker B, et al. Crosstalk between ROR1 and the Pre-B cell receptor promotes survival of t(1;19) acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Cancer Cell. 2012;22:656-67 pubmed publisher..Consequently, ROR1 silencing accentuates dasatinib killing of t(1;19) ALL cells. ..
- Mlotshwa S, Pruss G, Gao Z, Mgutshini N, Li J, Chen X, et al. Transcriptional silencing induced by Arabidopsis T-DNA mutants is associated with 35S promoter siRNAs and requires genes involved in siRNA-mediated chromatin silencing. Plant J. 2010;64:699-704 pubmed publisher..Consistent with these results, we detected 35S promoter siRNAs in dcl3-1 SALK line plants, suggesting that the 35S promoter homology-dependent silencing induced by some T-DNA insertion mutant lines is siRNA-mediated. ..
- Luo Y, Dallaglio K, Chen Y, Robinson W, Robinson S, McCarter M, et al. ALDH1A isozymes are markers of human melanoma stem cells and potential therapeutic targets. Stem Cells. 2012;30:2100-13 pubmed publisher..Further investigation of these isozymes and genes will enhance our understanding of the molecular mechanisms governing CSCs and reveal new molecular targets for therapeutic intervention of cancer. ..
- Mirza A, Kahle M, Ameka M, Campbell E, Cuevas B. MEKK2 regulates focal adhesion stability and motility in invasive breast cancer cells. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014;1843:945-54 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results strongly support a role for MEKK2 as a regulator of signaling that modulates breast tumor cell spread area and migration through control of focal adhesion stability. ..
- Kitatani K, Sheldon K, Anelli V, Jenkins R, Sun Y, Grabowski G, et al. Acid beta-glucosidase 1 counteracts p38delta-dependent induction of interleukin-6: possible role for ceramide as an anti-inflammatory lipid. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:12979-88 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the p38delta isoform was identified as a novel and predominant target of ceramide signaling as well as a regulator of IL-6 biosynthesis. ..
- Mavis C, Morey Kinney S, Foster B, Karpf A. Expression level and DNA methylation status of glutathione-S-transferase genes in normal murine prostate and TRAMP tumors. Prostate. 2009;69:1312-24 pubmed publisher..Promoter DNA hypermethylation does not appear to drive Gst gene repression in TRAMP primary tumors; however, pharmacological studies using TRAMP cells suggest the involvement of epigenetic mechanisms in Gst gene repression. ..
- Fortier E, Belote J. Temperature-dependent gene silencing by an expressed inverted repeat in Drosophila. Genesis. 2000;26:240-4 pubmed..Moreover, by altering the dosage of either the transgenes or the endogenous tra2(+) loci, one can vary the effect over a wide range of mutant phenotypes. ..
- Senawong T, Peterson V, Avram D, Shepherd D, Frye R, Minucci S, et al. Involvement of the histone deacetylase SIRT1 in chicken ovalbumin upstream promoter transcription factor (COUP-TF)-interacting protein 2-mediated transcriptional repression. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:43041-50 pubmed..These findings implicate SIRT1 as a histone H3/H4 deacetylase in mammalian cells and in transcriptional repression mediated by CTIP2. ..
- Singh J, Khan M, Singh I. Silencing of Abcd1 and Abcd2 genes sensitizes astrocytes for inflammation: implication for X-adrenoleukodystrophy. J Lipid Res. 2009;50:135-47 pubmed publisher..Our data represent the first study to suggest a direct link between the accumulation of VLCFA and the induction of inflammatory mediators...
- Pandya U, Sandhu R, Li B. Silencing subtelomeric VSGs by Trypanosoma brucei RAP1 at the insect stage involves chromatin structure changes. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013;41:7673-82 pubmed publisher..Our observations indicate that TbRAP1 helps to determine the chromatin structure at the insect stage, which likely contributes to its strong silencing effect on VSGs. ..
- Lorincz M, Dickerson D, Schmitt M, Groudine M. Intragenic DNA methylation alters chromatin structure and elongation efficiency in mammalian cells. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2004;11:1068-75 pubmed..As the methylated region adopts a closed chromatin structure in vivo, we propose that dense intragenic DNA methylation in mammalian cells initiates formation of a chromatin structure that reduces the efficiency of Pol II elongation. ..
- Zanesi N, Mancini R, Sevignani C, Vecchione A, Kaou M, Valtieri M, et al. Lung cancer susceptibility in Fhit-deficient mice is increased by Vhl haploinsufficiency. Cancer Res. 2005;65:6576-82 pubmed
- Chan K, Zhang Z. Leucine-rich repeat and WD repeat-containing protein 1 is recruited to pericentric heterochromatin by trimethylated lysine 9 of histone H3 and maintains heterochromatin silencing. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:15024-33 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that the Lrwd1 is recruited to pericentric heterochromatin through binding to H3K9me3 and that the association of Lrwd1 with pericentric heterochromatin is required for heterochromatin silencing and maintenance. ..
- Phillips S, Soderblom E, Bradrick S, Garcia Blanco M. Identification of Proteins Bound to Dengue Viral RNA In Vivo Reveals New Host Proteins Important for Virus Replication. MBio. 2016;7:e01865-15 pubmed publisher..This approach has broad relevance to virology and RNA biology, as it could theoretically be used to purify any viral RNP complex of interest. ..
- Deng X, Tannehill Gregg S, Nadella M, He G, Levine A, Cao Y, et al. Parathyroid hormone-related protein and ezrin are up-regulated in human lung cancer bone metastases. Clin Exp Metastasis. 2007;24:107-19 pubmed
- Rizzo J, Tarsio M, Martínez Muñoz G, Kane P. Diploids heterozygous for a vma13Delta mutation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae highlight the importance of V-ATPase subunit balance in supporting vacuolar acidification and silencing cytosolic V1-ATPase activity. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:8521-32 pubmed..The results suggest that balancing levels of subunit H with those of other V-ATPase subunits is critical, both for allowing organelle acidification and for preventing unproductive hydrolysis of cytosolic ATP. ..
- De La Fuente J, Kocan K, Almazan C, Blouin E. RNA interference for the study and genetic manipulation of ticks. Trends Parasitol. 2007;23:427-33 pubmed..It is probable that the knowledge gained from this experimental approach will contribute to development of vaccines to control tick infestations and the transmission of tick-borne pathogens...
- Ai L, Kim W, Demircan B, Dyer L, Bray K, Skehan R, et al. The transglutaminase 2 gene (TGM2), a potential molecular marker for chemotherapeutic drug sensitivity, is epigenetically silenced in breast cancer. Carcinogenesis. 2008;29:510-8 pubmed publisher..This work indicates that the TGM2 gene is a target for epigenetic silencing in breast cancer and suggests that this aberrant molecular event is a potential marker for chemotherapeutic drug sensitivity. ..
- Pelzel H, Schlamp C, Waclawski M, Shaw M, Nickells R. Silencing of Fem1cR3 gene expression in the DBA/2J mouse precedes retinal ganglion cell death and is associated with histone deacetylase activity. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2012;53:1428-35 pubmed publisher..This process can be ameliorated, but not completely blocked, using HDAC inhibitors. Epigenetic changes to active chromatin, such as deacetylation, may be mediated by HDAC3 in dying neurons. ..
- Memin E, Hoque M, Jain M, Heller D, Li H, Cracchiolo B, et al. Blocking eIF5A modification in cervical cancer cells alters the expression of cancer-related genes and suppresses cell proliferation. Cancer Res. 2014;74:552-62 pubmed publisher..In coordinating cell proliferation, the eIF5A regulon can be modulated by drugs such as ciclopirox or deferiprone, which might be repositioned to control cancer cell growth. ..
- Zhang A, Liu X, Cogan J, Fuerst M, Polikandriotis J, Kelm R, et al. YB-1 coordinates vascular smooth muscle alpha-actin gene activation by transforming growth factor beta1 and thrombin during differentiation of human pulmonary myofibroblasts. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:4931-40 pubmed..This loop may help restrict organ-destructive remodeling due to excessive myofibroblast differentiation. ..
- El Mahdy M, Zhu Q, Wang Q, Wani G, Praetorius Ibba M, Wani A. Cullin 4A-mediated proteolysis of DDB2 protein at DNA damage sites regulates in vivo lesion recognition by XPC. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:13404-11 pubmed..These results suggest that CUL-4A mediates the proteolytic degradation of DDB2 and that this degradation event, initiated at the lesion sites, regulates damage recognition by XPC during the early steps of NER. ..
- Marotta M, Piontkivska H, Tanaka H. Molecular trajectories leading to the alternative fates of duplicate genes. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e38958 pubmed publisher..4%) than preserved ones. Such molecular trajectories could provide insights for the mechanisms underlying duplicate life and death in extant genomes. ..
- Mathison A, Grzenda A, Lomberk G, Velez G, Buttar N, Tietz P, et al. Role for Krüppel-like transcription factor 11 in mesenchymal cell function and fibrosis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e75311 pubmed publisher..Thus, KLFs expands the repertoire of transcription factors involved in the regulation of extracellular matrix proteins in mesenchymal cells and define a novel pathway that modulates the fibrogenic response during liver injury. ..
- Datta J, Ghoshal K, Denny W, Gamage S, Brooke D, Phiasivongsa P, et al. A new class of quinoline-based DNA hypomethylating agents reactivates tumor suppressor genes by blocking DNA methyltransferase 1 activity and inducing its degradation. Cancer Res. 2009;69:4277-85 pubmed publisher..Further, this compound did not exhibit significant toxicity in a rat hepatoma (H4IIE) cell line. This study provides a novel class of DNA hypomethylating agents that have the potential for use in epigenetic cancer therapy. ..
- Anderson K, Nordquist K, Gao X, Hicks K, Zhai B, Gygi S, et al. Regulation of cellular levels of Sprouty2 protein by prolyl hydroxylase domain and von Hippel-Lindau proteins. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:42027-36 pubmed publisher..Thus, prolyl hydroxylase mediated hydroxylation and subsequent pVHL-elicited ubiquitylation of Spry2 target it for degradation and, consequently, provide a novel mechanism of regulating growth factor signaling. ..
- Rangani G, Khodakovskaya M, Alimohammadi M, Hoecker U, Srivastava V. Site-specific methylation in gene coding region underlies transcriptional silencing of the Phytochrome A epiallele in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Mol Biol. 2012;79:191-202 pubmed publisher..Further, as the identified site (exon 1) is not critical for the promoter activity, transcription elongation rather than transcription initiation is likely to be affected by this site-specific CG methylation. ..
- Martinez A, Mehra S, Kaushal D. Role of interleukin 6 in innate immunity to Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection. J Infect Dis. 2013;207:1253-61 pubmed publisher..tuberculosis virulence and pathogenesis and provide an initial road map to further investigate the mechanisms that may account for the deleterious effects of type I interferons in M. tuberculosis infection. ..
- Liu S, Shen T, Huynh L, Klisovic M, Rush L, Ford J, et al. Interplay of RUNX1/MTG8 and DNA methyltransferase 1 in acute myeloid leukemia. Cancer Res. 2005;65:1277-84 pubmed..These results suggest a novel mechanism for gene silencing mediated by RUNX1/MTG8 and support the combination of HDAC and DNMT inhibitors as a novel therapeutic approach for t(8;21) AML. ..
- Jiang Q, Feng M, Mo Y. Systematic validation of predicted microRNAs for cyclin D1. BMC Cancer. 2009;9:194 pubmed publisher..This study provides a more comprehensive picture of microRNA/CCND1 interactions and it further demonstrates the importance of experimental target validation. ..
- Devi S, Kedlaya R, Maddodi N, Bhat K, Weber C, Valdivia H, et al. Calcium homeostasis in human melanocytes: role of transient receptor potential melastatin 1 (TRPM1) and its regulation by ultraviolet light. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2009;297:C679-87 pubmed publisher..These data suggest a role for TRPM1-mediated Ca(2+) homeostasis, which is also regulated by ultraviolet B, in melanogenesis. ..
- Li H, Wolfe A, Septer S, Edwards G, Zhong X, Abdulkarim A, et al. Deregulation of Hippo kinase signalling in human hepatic malignancies. Liver Int. 2012;32:38-47 pubmed publisher..These data show that Yap induction mediated by inactivation of Lats is observed in hepatic malignancies. These studies highlight Hippo kinase pathway as a novel therapeutic target for hepatic malignancies. ..
- Chen B, Chen J, House M, Cullen K, Nephew K, Guo Z. Role of neurofilament light polypeptide in head and neck cancer chemoresistance. Mol Cancer Res. 2012;10:305-15 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that NEFL methylation is a novel mechanism for HNC chemoresistance and may represent a candidate biomarker predictive of chemotherapeutic response and survival in patients with HNC. ..
- Fazly A, Li Q, Hu Q, Mer G, Horazdovsky B, Zhang Z. Histone chaperone Rtt106 promotes nucleosome formation using (H3-H4)2 tetramers. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:10753-60 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that Rtt106 deposits H3-H4 heterotetramers onto DNA and provide the first description of a H3-H4 chaperone binding to (H3-H4)(2) heterotetramers in vivo. ..
- MacDonald M, Smith A, Hasan N, Sabat G, Fahien L. Feasibility of pathways for transfer of acyl groups from mitochondria to the cytosol to form short chain acyl-CoAs in the pancreatic beta cell. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:30596-606 pubmed
- Melito S, Heuberger A, Cook D, Diers B, MacGuidwin A, Bent A. A nematode demographics assay in transgenic roots reveals no significant impacts of the Rhg1 locus LRR-Kinase on soybean cyst nematode resistance. BMC Plant Biol. 2010;10:104 pubmed publisher..Studies in which expression of the Rhg1 locus LRR-kinase gene from different resistance sources was either reduced or complemented did not reveal significant impacts on SCN resistance. ..
- Sukka Ganesh B, Mohammed K, Kaye F, Goldberg E, Nasreen N. Ephrin-A1 inhibits NSCLC tumor growth via induction of Cdx-2 a tumor suppressor gene. BMC Cancer. 2012;12:309 pubmed publisher..We conclude that receptor EphA2 activation by ephrin-A1 induces tumor suppressor gene cdx-2 expression which attenuates cell proliferation, tumor growth and thus may be a promising therapeutic target against NSCLC. ..
- Lee B, Cho G, Norgren R, Junier M, Hill D, Tapia V, et al. TTF-1, a homeodomain gene required for diencephalic morphogenesis, is postnatally expressed in the neuroendocrine brain in a developmentally regulated and cell-specific fashion. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2001;17:107-26 pubmed