Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on fungal proteins in Belgium
Topic: fungal proteins
- Voet T, Liebe B, Labaere C, Marynen P, Scherthan H. Telomere-independent homologue pairing and checkpoint escape of accessory ring chromosomes in male mouse meiosis. J Cell Biol. 2003;162:795-807 pubmed..Our findings indicate a telomere-independent mechanism for pairing of mammalian MCs, illuminate escape routes to meiotic checkpoints, and give clues for genetic engineering of germ line-permissive chromosomal vectors...
- Matthijs G, Schollen E, Pardon E, Veiga da Cunha M, Jaeken J, Cassiman J, et al. Mutations in PMM2, a phosphomannomutase gene on chromosome 16p13, in carbohydrate-deficient glycoprotein type I syndrome (Jaeken syndrome). Nat Genet. 1997;16:88-92 pubmed..Our results give conclusive support to the biochemical finding that the phosphomannomutase deficiency is the basis for CDG1. ..
- Loppes R, Michels R, Decroupette I, Joris B. Sequence analysis of the ARG7 gene of Schizosaccharomyces pombe coding for argininosuccinate lyase. Expression of the gene in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Curr Genet. 1991;19:255-60 pubmed..A unique 1,500 b transcript was found in S. cerevisiae when the intact gene was present, but the deleted version of the gene gave rise to at least three transcripts of 1,800, 2,800 and 3,900 b. ..
- Qiu H, Dubois E, Broen P, Messenguy F. Functional analysis of ARGRI and ARGRIII regulatory proteins involved in the regulation of arginine metabolism in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Gen Genet. 1990;222:192-200 pubmed..Gene disruption of the ARGRIII gene impairs the growth of the mutant on rich medium, showing that ARGRIII has a pleiotropic role in the cell. ..
- Hamshou M, Van Damme E, Smagghe G. Entomotoxic effects of fungal lectin from Rhizoctonia solani towards Spodoptera littoralis. Fungal Biol. 2010;114:34-40 pubmed publisher..For instance, 0.03 % RSA+0.005 % Bt toxin caused reduced growth rate and higher mortalities. These findings suggest that RSA is an interesting tool that can be used for bioengineering insect resistance in important agronomical crops. ..
- Vandenbol M, Jauniaux J, Grenson M. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae NPR1 gene required for the activity of ammonia-sensitive amino acid permeases encodes a protein kinase homologue. Mol Gen Genet. 1990;222:393-9 pubmed..Hence, the NPR1 protein probably acts at the post-transcriptional level. Proteins that may serve as substrates for phosphorylation are discussed. ..
- De Veylder L, Beemster G, Beeckman T, Inze D. CKS1At overexpression in Arabidopsis thaliana inhibits growth by reducing meristem size and inhibiting cell-cycle progression. Plant J. 2001;25:617-26 pubmed..This inhibition was due to the binding of CDK subunits with CDKs. The reduced growth rates in response to altered cell-cycle gene expression demonstrates a direct dependence of plant growth rates on cell-cycle regulation. ..
- Marini A, Matassi G, Raynal V, Andre B, Cartron J, Cherif Zahar B. The human Rhesus-associated RhAG protein and a kidney homologue promote ammonium transport in yeast. Nat Genet. 2000;26:341-4 pubmed..Our results provide the first experimental evidence for a direct role of RhAG and RhGK in ammonium transport. These findings are of high interest, because no specific ammonium transport system has been characterized so far in human. ..
- Jossin Y, Bar I, Ignatova N, Tissir F, De Rouvroit C, Goffinet A. The reelin signaling pathway: some recent developments. Cereb Cortex. 2003;13:627-33 pubmed..Third, we present preliminary studies by in situ hybridization that demonstrate regulated expression of Reelin receptors and Dab1 by radial precursors in the ventricular zone. ..
- Bercy J, Dubois E, Messenguy F. Regulation of arginine metabolism in Saccharomyces cerevisiae: expression of the three ARGR regulatory genes and cellular localization of their products. Gene. 1987;55:277-85 pubmed..However, some data suggest that the ARGRIII protein could control ARGRI activity. ..
- Vandebroek T, Terwel D, Vanhelmont T, Gysemans M, Van Haesendonck C, Engelborghs Y, et al. Microtubule binding and clustering of human Tau-4R and Tau-P301L proteins isolated from yeast deficient in orthologues of glycogen synthase kinase-3beta or cdk5. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:25388-97 pubmed..Our data explain the pathological presence of granular Tau aggregates in neuronal processes in tauopathies. ..
- Gonze D, Goldbeter A. Circadian rhythms and molecular noise. Chaos. 2006;16:026110 pubmed..Intercellular coupling further increases the robustness of circadian oscillations. ..
- Messens J, Silver S. Arsenate reduction: thiol cascade chemistry with convergent evolution. J Mol Biol. 2006;362:1-17 pubmed..After each oxidative methylation cycle and before the next methylation step, As(V) is reduced to As(III). Methylation by this enzyme is also considered an arsenic-resistance mechanism for bacteria, fungi and mammals. ..
- Thevelein J, Bonini B, Castermans D, Haesendonckx S, Kriel J, Louwet W, et al. Novel mechanisms in nutrient activation of the yeast protein kinase A pathway. Acta Microbiol Immunol Hung. 2008;55:75-89 pubmed publisher..Hence, different types of sensing systems are involved in control of the yeast PKA pathway by nutrients. ..
- Urrestarazu A, Vissers S, Iraqui I, Grenson M. Phenylalanine- and tyrosine-auxotrophic mutants of Saccharomyces cerevisiae impaired in transamination. Mol Gen Genet. 1998;257:230-7 pubmed..In particular, it is responsible for all the measured kynurenine aminotransferase activity. Mutants lacking this activity grow very slowly on kynurenine medium. ..
- Van Bogaert I, Sabirova J, Develter D, Soetaert W, Vandamme E. Knocking out the MFE-2 gene of Candida bombicola leads to improved medium-chain sophorolipid production. FEMS Yeast Res. 2009;9:610-7 pubmed publisher..All mutants showed a 1.7-2.9 times higher production of sophorolipids, indicating that in those strains the substrate is redirected towards the sophorolipid synthesis...
- De Veylder L, Segers G, Glab N, Casteels P, Van Montagu M, Inze D. The Arabidopsis Cks1At protein binds the cyclin-dependent kinases Cdc2aAt and Cdc2bAt. FEBS Lett. 1997;412:446-52 pubmed..Cks1At binds both Cdc2aAt and Cdc2bAt in vivo and in vitro. Furthermore, we demonstrate that the fission yeast Suc1 binds Cdc2aAt but only weakly Cdc2bAt, whereas the human CksHs1 associated exclusively with Cdc2aAt. ..
- Decottignies A, Lambert L, Catty P, Degand H, Epping E, Moye Rowley W, et al. Identification and characterization of SNQ2, a new multidrug ATP binding cassette transporter of the yeast plasma membrane. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:18150-7 pubmed
- Voet M, Defoor E, Verhasselt P, Riles L, Robben J, Volckaert G. The sequence of a nearly unclonable 22.8 kb segment on the left arm chromosome VII from Saccharomyces cerevisiae reveals ARO2, RPL9A, TIP1, MRF1 genes and six new open reading frames. Yeast. 1997;13:177-82 pubmed..YGL144c has a serine active site signature of lipases. YGL141w has limited homology to several human proteins, one of which mediates complex formation between papillomavirus E6 oncoprotein and tumor suppressor protein p53. ..
- Kolaczkowski M, van der Rest M, Cybularz Kolaczkowska A, Soumillion J, Konings W, Goffeau A. Anticancer drugs, ionophoric peptides, and steroids as substrates of the yeast multidrug transporter Pdr5p. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:31543-8 pubmed..Our experimental system opens new possibilities for the analysis of structure-function relationship of multidrug transporter substrates and inhibitors...
- Hamshou M, Smagghe G, Shahidi Noghabi S, De Geyter E, Lannoo N, Van Damme E. Insecticidal properties of Sclerotinia sclerotiorum agglutinin and its interaction with insect tissues and cells. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2010;40:883-90 pubmed publisher..The potential use of SSA in insect control is discussed. ..
- Nailis H, Vandenbosch D, Deforce D, Nelis H, Coenye T. Transcriptional response to fluconazole and amphotericin B in Candida albicans biofilms. Res Microbiol. 2010;161:284-92 pubmed publisher..albicans cells that might contribute to a resistant biofilm phenotype. ..
- Renard H, Demaegd D, Guerriat B, Morsomme P. Efficient ER exit and vacuole targeting of yeast Sna2p require two tyrosine-based sorting motifs. Traffic. 2010;11:931-46 pubmed publisher..Sna2p is the first yeast protein in which two YXXØ motifs have been identified and both were shown to be functional at two different steps of the secretory pathway, ER exit and Golgi-to-vacuole transport. ..
- Springael J, Nikko E, Andre B, Marini A. Yeast Npi3/Bro1 is involved in ubiquitin-dependent control of permease trafficking. FEBS Lett. 2002;517:103-9 pubmed..We propose that proteins of the Npi3/Bro1 family, including homologues from higher species, may play a conserved role in ubiquitin-dependent control of membrane protein trafficking. ..
- Hertveldt K, Robben J, Volckaert G. In vivo selectively infective phage as a tool to detect protein interactions: evaluation of a novel vector system with yeast Ste7p-Fus3p interacting proteins. Yeast. 2002;19:499-508 pubmed..The presence of the interacting N1-Fus3p adapter increased the infectivity of Ste7p-N2-CT phages approximately 1400-fold, which makes SIP a promising technology for the detection and further investigation of interacting proteins. ..
- Van Leeuwen T, Demaeght P, Osborne E, Dermauw W, Gohlke S, Nauen R, et al. Population bulk segregant mapping uncovers resistance mutations and the mode of action of a chitin synthesis inhibitor in arthropods. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:4407-12 pubmed publisher..More generally, our genetic mapping approach should be powerful for high-resolution mapping of simple traits (resistance or otherwise) in arthropods. ..
- Bink A, Vandenbosch D, Coenye T, Nelis H, Cammue B, Thevissen K. Superoxide dismutases are involved in Candida albicans biofilm persistence against miconazole. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2011;55:4033-7 pubmed publisher..albicans biofilms is linked to the ROS-detoxifying activity of Sods. Moreover, Sod inhibitors can be used to potentiate the activity of miconazole against C. albicans biofilms...
- Boonchird C, Messenguy F, Dubois E. Characterization of the yeast ARG5,6 gene: determination of the nucleotide sequence, analysis of the control region and of ARG5,6 transcript. Mol Gen Genet. 1991;226:154-66 pubmed..Specific regulation involves two regions: one located between the putative TATA element and the transcriptional initiation site and the second between this site and the first ATG. ..
- Iraqui I, Vissers S, Cartiaux M, Urrestarazu A. Characterisation of Saccharomyces cerevisiae ARO8 and ARO9 genes encoding aromatic aminotransferases I and II reveals a new aminotransferase subfamily. Mol Gen Genet. 1998;257:238-48 pubmed..An autonomously replicating sequence (ARS) element is located between the ARO8 gene and YGL201c which encodes a protein of the minichromosome maintenance family. ..
- Andre B, Talibi D, Soussi Boudekou S, Hein C, Vissers S, Coornaert D. Two mutually exclusive regulatory systems inhibit UASGATA, a cluster of 5'-GAT(A/T)A-3' upstream from the UGA4 gene of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Nucleic Acids Res. 1995;23:558-64 pubmed..The role of UASGATA in the expression of the UGA4 gene is discussed in relation to its sensitivity to the two distinct repression systems. ..
- Talibi D, Grenson M, Andre B. Cis- and trans-acting elements determining induction of the genes of the gamma-aminobutyrate (GABA) utilization pathway in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Nucleic Acids Res. 1995;23:550-7 pubmed..We propose that tight coupling between the UASGABA and UASGATA elements enables the cell to integrate, according to its nitrogen status, the induced expression levels of UGA4. ..
- Renouf S, Beullens M, Wera S, Van Eynde A, Sikela J, Stalmans W, et al. Molecular cloning of a human polypeptide related to yeast sds22, a regulator of protein phosphatase-1. FEBS Lett. 1995;375:75-8 pubmed..Northern analysis revealed a major transcript of 1.39 kb in all 8 investigated human tissues. sds22 was detected by western analysis in both the cytoplasm and the nucleus of rat liver cells as a polypeptide of 44 kDa. ..
- Boudolf V, Rombauts S, Naudts M, Inze D, De Veylder L. Identification of novel cyclin-dependent kinases interacting with the CKS1 protein of Arabidopsis. J Exp Bot. 2001;52:1381-2 pubmed..Differences in the expression patterns in roots, leaves and stems suggest unique roles for each CDK. ..
- Nelissen B, De Wachter R, Goffeau A. Classification of all putative permeases and other membrane plurispanners of the major facilitator superfamily encoded by the complete genome of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. FEMS Microbiol Rev. 1997;21:113-34 pubmed..The latter resulted in the identification of 21 subclusters with presumably tightly related permease function. No functional clues were predicted for a total of 41 clustered or unclustered proteins. ..
- Decottignies A, Grant A, Nichols J, de Wet H, McIntosh D, Goffeau A. ATPase and multidrug transport activities of the overexpressed yeast ABC protein Yor1p. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:12612-22 pubmed..Both ABC transporters exhibit ATP hydrolysis in vitro, but Pdr5p ATPase activity is about 15 times higher than that of Yor1p, which may indicate mechanistic or regulatory differences between the two enzymes...
- Springael J, Andre B. Nitrogen-regulated ubiquitination of the Gap1 permease of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 1998;9:1253-63 pubmed..We show here that mutant Gap1 permeases affected in these sequences still bind Ub. Furthermore, we provide evidence that only a small fraction of Gap1 is modified by Ub after addition of NH4+ to mutants defective in endocytosis. ..
- Svoboda M, Ciccarelli E, Vandermeers Piret M, Nagy A, Van de Weerdt C, Bollen A, et al. Purification, primary structure and molecular cloning of a rat ribosomal protein showing homology with yeast ribosomal protein YL34. Eur J Biochem. 1992;203:341-6 pubmed
- Fransen M, Wylin T, Brees C, Mannaerts G, Van Veldhoven P. Human pex19p binds peroxisomal integral membrane proteins at regions distinct from their sorting sequences. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:4413-24 pubmed
- Parker A, Van de Weyer I, Laus M, Oostveen I, Yon J, Verhasselt P, et al. A human homologue of the Schizosaccharomyces pombe rad1+ checkpoint gene encodes an exonuclease. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:18332-9 pubmed..The biological functions of the two proteins remain to be determined. ..
- Wylin T, Baes M, Brees C, Mannaerts G, Fransen M, Van Veldhoven P. Identification and characterization of human PMP34, a protein closely related to the peroxisomal integral membrane protein PMP47 of Candida boidinii. Eur J Biochem. 1998;258:332-8 pubmed..Taken together, the data indicate that HsPMP34 is a peroxisomal membrane protein and is either the human counterpart of CbPMP47 or closely related to it. According to its structure, the protein is most probably involved in transport. ..
- Charbon G, Breunig K, Wattiez R, Vandenhaute J, Noël Georis I. Key role of Ser562/661 in Snf1-dependent regulation of Cat8p in Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Kluyveromyces lactis. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:4083-91 pubmed..Unlike that of S. cerevisiae ScCAT8, KlCAT8 transcription is not carbon source regulated, illustrating the prominent role of posttranscriptional regulation of Cat8p in K. lactis. ..
- Aerts A, Carmona Gutierrez D, Lefevre S, Govaert G, Francois I, Madeo F, et al. The antifungal plant defensin RsAFP2 from radish induces apoptosis in a metacaspase independent way in Candida albicans. FEBS Lett. 2009;583:2513-6 pubmed publisher..Moreover, our data point to the existence of at least two different types of caspases or caspase-like proteases in C. albicans. ..
- Ismaili N, Perez Morga D, Walsh P, Mayeda A, Pays A, Tebabi P, et al. Characterization of a SR protein from Trypanosoma brucei with homology to RNA-binding cis-splicing proteins. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 1999;102:103-15 pubmed..These and other observations suggest that TSR1 may be involved in trans-splicing in T. brucei. ..
- El Moualij B, Duyckaerts C, Lamotte Brasseur J, Sluse F. Phylogenetic classification of the mitochondrial carrier family of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Yeast. 1997;13:573-81 pubmed..In each subfamily, a strict conservation of the charged residues in the six transmembrane alpha-helices is observed, suggesting a functional role for these residues and the existence of 27 functionally distinct carriers. ..
- Matthijs G, Schollen E, Pirard M, Budarf M, Van Schaftingen E, Cassiman J. PMM (PMM1), the human homologue of SEC53 or yeast phosphomannomutase, is localized on chromosome 22q13. Genomics. 1997;40:41-7 pubmed..Since the CDG1 locus maps else where in the genome (16p13), mutations in the phosphomannomutase gene encoded by chromosome 22 are not a major cause of CDG1. ..
- Hein C, Springael J, Volland C, Haguenauer Tsapis R, Andre B. NPl1, an essential yeast gene involved in induced degradation of Gap1 and Fur4 permeases, encodes the Rsp5 ubiquitin-protein ligase. Mol Microbiol. 1995;18:77-87 pubmed..Our results show that the Npi1/Rsp5 ubiquitin-protein ligase participates in induced degradation of at least two permeases, Gap1p and Fur4p, and probably also other proteins. ..
- De Pourcq K, Vervecken W, Dewerte I, Valevska A, Van Hecke A, Callewaert N. Engineering the yeast Yarrowia lipolytica for the production of therapeutic proteins homogeneously glycosylated with Man?GlcNAc? and Man?GlcNAc?. Microb Cell Fact. 2012;11:53 pubmed publisher..Our aim was to glyco-engineer Y. lipolytica to abolish the heterogeneous, yeast-specific glycosylation and to obtain homogeneous human high-mannose type glycosylation...
- Amar N, Messenguy F, El Bakkoury M, Dubois E. ArgRII, a component of the ArgR-Mcm1 complex involved in the control of arginine metabolism in Saccharomyces cerevisiae, is the sensor of arginine. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:2087-97 pubmed
- Van Huffel C, Dubois E, Messenguy F. Cloning and sequencing of Schizosaccharomyces pombe car1 gene encoding arginase. Expression of the arginine anabolic and catabolic genes in response to arginine and related metabolites. Yeast. 1994;10:923-33 pubmed..cerevisiae, and also indicates that in S. pombe enzyme compartmentation is not always sufficient to control the arginine metabolic flux. ..
- Songulashvili G, Jimenéz Tobón G, Jaspers C, Penninckx M. Immobilized laccase of Cerrena unicolor for elimination of endocrine disruptor micropollutants. Fungal Biol. 2012;116:883-9 pubmed publisher..The experiments were run three times consecutively with the same immobilized laccase without loss of enzyme activity. ..
- Stals I, Samyn B, Sergeant K, White T, Hoorelbeke K, Coorevits A, et al. Identification of a gene coding for a deglycosylating enzyme in Hypocrea jecorina. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2010;303:9-17 pubmed publisher..This ENGase activity, not coregulated with cellulase production, could be responsible for the extensive N-deglycosylation observed for several T. reesei cellulases...
- Van Damme P, Hole K, Pimenta Marques A, Helsens K, Vandekerckhove J, Martinho R, et al. NatF contributes to an evolutionary shift in protein N-terminal acetylation and is important for normal chromosome segregation. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002169 pubmed publisher..With the characterization of NatF, the co-translational N-Ac machinery appears complete since all the major substrate groups in eukaryotes are accounted for. ..
- Andre B, Scherens B. The yeast YBR235w gene encodes a homolog of the mammalian electroneutral Na(+)-(K+)-C1- cotransporter family. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1995;217:150-3 pubmed..We hypothesize that this yeast protein also mediates active uptake of C1- into the cell. ..
- Nelissen B, Mordant P, Jonniaux J, De Wachter R, Goffeau A. Phylogenetic classification of the major superfamily of membrane transport facilitators, as deduced from yeast genome sequencing. FEBS Lett. 1995;377:232-6 pubmed..For the sugar and amino acid transport proteins, alignments were made and phylogenetic trees were constructed allowing the identification of several clusters of proteins presumably exhibiting similar transport functions. ..
- Iraqui I, Vissers S, Bernard F, De Craene J, Boles E, Urrestarazu A, et al. Amino acid signaling in Saccharomyces cerevisiae: a permease-like sensor of external amino acids and F-Box protein Grr1p are required for transcriptional induction of the AGP1 gene, which encodes a broad-specificity amino acid permease. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:989-1001 pubmed..The essential role of Grr1p in this amino acid signaling pathway lends further support to the hypothesis that this protein participates in integrating nutrient availability with the cell cycle. ..
- Gonze D, Halloy J, Goldbeter A. Robustness of circadian rhythms with respect to molecular noise. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:673-8 pubmed..Entrainment by light/dark cycles and cooperativity in repression enhance the robustness of circadian oscillations with respect to molecular noise. ..