Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on folic acid in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: folic acid
Publications137 found, 100 shown here
- Smith J, Rosenbaum J. A role for methotrexate in the management of non-infectious orbital inflammatory disease. Br J Ophthalmol. 2001;85:1220-4 pubmed..Two patients (14%) discontinued treatment because of adverse effects. Methotrexate is a well tolerated immunosuppressive medication which may benefit patients with recalcitrant non-infectious orbital inflammatory disease. ..
- Basset G, Quinlivan E, Ravanel S, R beill F, Nichols B, Shinozaki K, et al. Folate synthesis in plants: the p-aminobenzoate branch is initiated by a bifunctional PabA-PabB protein that is targeted to plastids. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:1496-501 pubmed publisher..In the pericarp of tomato fruit, the PabA-PabB mRNA level fell drastically as ripening advanced, but there was no fall in total PABA content, which stayed between 0.7 and 2.3 nmol.g(-1) fresh weight...
- Park Y, Kang E, Kwon O, Hwang T, Park H, Lee J, et al. Ionically crosslinked Ad/chitosan nanocomplexes processed by electrospinning for targeted cancer gene therapy. J Control Release. 2010;148:75-82 pubmed publisher..These results clearly demonstrate that cancer cell-targeted viral transduction by Ad/chitosan-PEG-FA nanocomplexes can be used effectively for metastatic tumor treatment with reduced immune reaction against Ad. ..
- Mutti D, Marks A. Blood levels of vitamin D in teens and young adults with myopia. Optom Vis Sci. 2011;88:377-82 pubmed publisher..Although consistent with the hypothesis above, replication in a larger sample is needed. ..
- Schisterman E, Silver R, Lesher L, Faraggi D, Wactawski Wende J, Townsend J, et al. Preconception low-dose aspirin and pregnancy outcomes: results from the EAGeR randomised trial. Lancet. 2014;384:29-36 pubmed publisher..Low-dose aspirin is not recommended for the prevention of pregnancy loss. Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (US National Institutes of Health). ..
- Luo Y, McCullough L, Tzeng J, Darrah T, Vengosh A, Maguire R, et al. Maternal blood cadmium, lead and arsenic levels, nutrient combinations, and offspring birthweight. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:354 pubmed publisher..Larger longitudinal studies are required to confirm these findings. ..
- Strickland K, Holmes R, Oleinik N, Krupenko N, Krupenko S. Phylogeny and evolution of aldehyde dehydrogenase-homologous folate enzymes. Chem Biol Interact. 2011;191:122-8 pubmed publisher..The phylogenic analysis suggests that the vertebrate ALDH1L2 gene arose from a duplication event of the ALDH1L1 gene prior to the emergence of osseous fish >500 millions years ago. ..
- Waller J, Alvarez S, Naponelli V, Lara Nu ez A, Blaby I, Da Silva V, et al. A role for tetrahydrofolates in the metabolism of iron-sulfur clusters in all domains of life. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:10412-7 pubmed publisher..Thus COG0354 proteins have an ancient, conserved, folate-dependent function in the activity of certain Fe/S cluster enzymes...
- Lalla R, Choquette L, Feinn R, Zawistowski H, Latortue M, Kelly E, et al. Multivitamin therapy for recurrent aphthous stomatitis: a randomized, double-masked, placebo-controlled trial. J Am Dent Assoc. 2012;143:370-6 pubmed..Clinicians should not recommend multi-vitamin supplementation routinely as prophylaxis for RAS. ..
- Ghosh A, Heston W. Tumor target prostate specific membrane antigen (PSMA) and its regulation in prostate cancer. J Cell Biochem. 2004;91:528-39 pubmed..In this review we have discussed the regulation of PSMA expression within the cells, and significance of its expression in prostate cancer and metastasis. ..
- Sudduth T, Powell D, Smith C, Greenstein A, Wilcock D. Induction of hyperhomocysteinemia models vascular dementia by induction of cerebral microhemorrhages and neuroinflammation. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2013;33:708-15 pubmed publisher..Overall, we have developed a dietary model of VaD that will be valuable for studying the pathophysiology of VaD and also for studying the comorbidity of VaD with other dementias and other neurodegenerative disorders. ..
- Connor S, Ojeda L, Sexton G, Weidner G, Connor W. Diets lower in folic acid and carotenoids are associated with the coronary disease epidemic in Central and Eastern Europe. J Am Diet Assoc. 2004;104:1793-9 pubmed..87 to 0.99). A diet low in foods containing folate and carotenoids (beta-carotene and lutein/zeaxanthin) may be a major contributing factor to increased coronary risk observed in the countries of Central and Eastern Europe. ..
- VanWert A, Sweet D. Impaired clearance of methotrexate in organic anion transporter 3 (Slc22a8) knockout mice: a gender specific impact of reduced folates. Pharm Res. 2008;25:453-62 pubmed..Furthermore, the present findings suggest that reduced-folate administration only influences methotrexate disposition in males, with the renal reduced-folate response influenced by OAT3 function. ..
- Kluger B, Meador K. Teratogenicity of antiepileptic medications. Semin Neurol. 2008;28:328-35 pubmed publisher..Management of women with epilepsy should include a discussion of these risks, prophylactic treatment with folic acid, and the minimal use of polypharmacy and valproate needed to maintain optimum seizure control. ..
- Zhu B. Medical hypothesis: hyperhomocysteinemia is a risk factor for estrogen-induced hormonal cancer. Int J Oncol. 2003;22:499-508 pubmed
- Davis S, Quinlivan E, Shelnutt K, Maneval D, Ghandour H, Capdevila A, et al. The methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase 677C->T polymorphism and dietary folate restriction affect plasma one-carbon metabolites and red blood cell folate concentrations and distribution in women. J Nutr. 2005;135:1040-4 pubmed
- Antikainen N, Smiley R, Benkovic S, Hammes G. Conformation coupled enzyme catalysis: single-molecule and transient kinetics investigation of dihydrofolate reductase. Biochemistry. 2005;44:16835-43 pubmed..These results are correlated with other measurements related to conformation coupled catalysis. ..
- Cezar G, Quam J, Smith A, Rosa G, Piekarczyk M, Brown J, et al. Identification of small molecules from human embryonic stem cells using metabolomics. Stem Cells Dev. 2007;16:869-82 pubmed..The hES cell metabolome may thus serve as a source of candidate biomarkers to predict or measure pharmacological efficacy or toxic response. ..
- Serrano M, Han M, Brinez P, Linask K. Fetal alcohol syndrome: cardiac birth defects in mice and prevention with folate. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010;203:75.e7-75.e15 pubmed publisher..Folic acid supplementation alone or with myoinositol prevented alcohol potentiation of Wnt/beta-catenin signaling that allowed normal gene activation and cardiogenesis. ..
- Henry O, Benghuzzi H, Taylor H, Tucci M, Butler K, Jones L. Suppression of homocysteine levels by vitamin B12 and folates: age and gender dependency in the Jackson Heart Study. Am J Med Sci. 2012;344:110-5 pubmed publisher..Diet may be an important predictive factor as well, given the relationships that were observed between plasma homocysteine and serum B vitamin levels. ..
- Viola Villegas N, Rabideau A, Cesnavicious J, Zubieta J, Doyle R. Targeting the folate receptor (FR): imaging and cytotoxicity of ReI conjugates in FR-overexpressing cancer cells. ChemMedChem. 2008;3:1387-94 pubmed publisher..The cytotoxicity of gamma-4 as explained by interactions that occur between the rhenium(I) complex moiety and DNA is described. ..
- Lin S, Herdt Losavio M, Chapman B, Munsie J, Olshan A, Druschel C. Maternal occupation and the risk of major birth defects: a follow-up analysis from the National Birth Defects Prevention Study. Int J Hyg Environ Health. 2013;216:317-23 pubmed publisher..Maternal folic acid use reduced the odds of NTDs and CL/P among those with certain occupations. This hypothesis-generating study will provide clues for future studies with better exposure data. ..
- Wibowo A, Singh M, Reeder K, Carter J, Kovach A, Meng W, et al. Structures of human folate receptors reveal biological trafficking states and diversity in folate and antifolate recognition. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:15180-8 pubmed publisher..On the whole, our data form the basis for rapid design and implementation of unique, FR-targeted, folate-based drugs for the treatment of cancer and inflammatory diseases. ..
- Oyewumi M, Yokel R, Jay M, Coakley T, Mumper R. Comparison of cell uptake, biodistribution and tumor retention of folate-coated and PEG-coated gadolinium nanoparticles in tumor-bearing mice. J Control Release. 2004;95:613-26 pubmed..The engineered nanoparticles may have potential in tumor-targeted delivery of Gd thereby enhancing the therapeutic success of NCT. ..
- Orsomando G, de la Garza R, Green B, Peng M, Rea P, Ryan T, et al. Plant gamma-glutamyl hydrolases and folate polyglutamates: characterization, compartmentation, and co-occurrence in vacuoles. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:28877-84 pubmed..These data point to a hitherto unsuspected role for vacuoles in folate storage. Furthermore, the paradoxical co-occurrence of GGH and folylpolyglutamates in vacuoles implies that the polyglutamates are somehow protected from GGH attack. ..
- De Crecy Lagard V, El Yacoubi B, de la Garza R, Noiriel A, Hanson A. Comparative genomics of bacterial and plant folate synthesis and salvage: predictions and validations. BMC Genomics. 2007;8:245 pubmed..More generally, our data indicate how combined genomic analysis of both plants and prokaryotes can be more powerful than isolated examination of either group alone. ..
- Nelson G, Ahlborn G, Delker D, Kitchin K, O Brien T, Chen Y, et al. Folate deficiency enhances arsenic effects on expression of genes involved in epidermal differentiation in transgenic K6/ODC mouse skin. Toxicology. 2007;241:134-45 pubmed
- Ronnenberg A, Venners S, Xu X, Chen C, Wang L, Guang W, et al. Preconception B-vitamin and homocysteine status, conception, and early pregnancy loss. Am J Epidemiol. 2007;166:304-12 pubmed..7, 95% CI: 0.4, 1.1) than did women with vitamin B6 deficiency. Poor vitamin B6 status appears to decrease the probability of conception and to contribute to the risk of early pregnancy loss in this population. ..
- Quinlivan E, Roje S, Basset G, Shachar Hill Y, Gregory J, Hanson A. The folate precursor p-aminobenzoate is reversibly converted to its glucose ester in the plant cytosol. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:20731-7 pubmed..Esterification of pABA may eliminate such errant behavior and provide a readily reclaimable storage form of pABA as well as a substrate for membrane transporters. ..
- Suitor C, Bailey L. Dietary folate equivalents: interpretation and application. J Am Diet Assoc. 2000;100:88-94 pubmed
- Chave K, Auger I, Galivan J, Ryan T. Molecular modeling and site-directed mutagenesis define the catalytic motif in human gamma -glutamyl hydrolase. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:40365-70 pubmed..The H171N hGH mutant was found to have a 250-fold reduced V(max). These studies to determine the catalytic mechanism begin to define the three dimensional interactions of hGH with poly-gamma-glutamate substrates. ..
- Shelnutt K, Kauwell G, Chapman C, Gregory J, Maneval D, Browdy A, et al. Folate status response to controlled folate intake is affected by the methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase 677C-->T polymorphism in young women. J Nutr. 2003;133:4107-11 pubmed..These results may be important when evaluating the impact of the MTHFR 677C-->T polymorphism in countries in which low folate diets are chronically consumed. ..
- Ashokkumar B, Nabokina S, Ma T, Said H. Identification of dynein light chain road block-1 as a novel interaction partner with the human reduced folate carrier. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2009;297:G480-7 pubmed publisher..05) decrease in folate uptake. This study demonstrates for the first time the identification of DYNLRB1 as an interacting protein partner with hRFC. Furthermore, DYNLRB1 appears to influence the function and cell biology of hRFC. ..
- Gara S, Madaki A, Thacher T. A comparison of iron and folate with folate alone in hematologic recovery of children treated for acute malaria. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2010;83:843-7 pubmed publisher..Iron supplementation improved hematologic recovery in children with malarial anemia. ..
- Kastanos E, Woldman Y, Appling D. Role of mitochondrial and cytoplasmic serine hydroxymethyltransferase isozymes in de novo purine synthesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochemistry. 1997;36:14956-64 pubmed..Finally, NMR data are presented that suggest the existence of at least two sites of de novo purine biosynthesis in growing yeast cells, each being fed by distinct pools of precursors. ..
- Ni S, Stephenson S, Lee R. Folate receptor targeted delivery of liposomal daunorubicin into tumor cells. Anticancer Res. 2002;22:2131-5 pubmed..FR-mediated delivery of liposomal DNR to FR-expressing cells increases DNR cellular uptake and cytotoxicity. Therefore, therapeutic evaluation in relevant animal models is warranted. ..
- Radivoyevitch T. Folate system correlations in DNA microarray data. BMC Cancer. 2005;5:95 pubmed..Conceptual models are essential. Mathematical model based analyses should supplement, but should not replace, direct data analyses. ..
- Eudes A, Bozzo G, Waller J, Naponelli V, Lim E, Bowles D, et al. Metabolism of the folate precursor p-aminobenzoate in plants: glucose ester formation and vacuolar storage. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:15451-9 pubmed publisher..In total, these data and the fact that isolated mitochondria did not take up [(3)H]pABA-Glc, suggest that the glucose ester represents a storage form of pABA that does not contribute directly to folate synthesis. ..
- Stein M, Lo E, Castner D, Ratner B. Plasma pencil atmospheric mass spectrometry detection of positive ions from micronutrients emitted from surfaces. Anal Chem. 2012;84:1572-8 pubmed publisher..ToF-SIMS could detect the nutrients from plasma solution but required 5 to 1000-times higher concentrations of folate, vitamin A, and iodine to achieve adequate separation of the micronutrients by PCA. ..
- Mease P, Strand V, Shalamberidze L, Dimic A, Raskina T, Xu L, et al. A phase II, double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled study of BMS945429 (ALD518) in patients with rheumatoid arthritis with an inadequate response to methotrexate. Ann Rheum Dis. 2012;71:1183-9 pubmed publisher..In this phase II study, BMS945429 was associated with rapid and significant improvements in disease activity and HRQoL in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis and an inadequate response to methotrexate. ..
- Pan X, Wang H, Lee R. Antitumor activity of folate receptor-targeted liposomal doxorubicin in a KB oral carcinoma murine xenograft model. Pharm Res. 2003;20:417-22 pubmed..FR-targeted liposomes are a highly efficacious vehicle for in vivo delivery of anticancer agents and have potential application in the treatment of FR(+) solid tumors. ..
- Leamon C, Cooper S, Hardee G. Folate-liposome-mediated antisense oligodeoxynucleotide targeting to cancer cells: evaluation in vitro and in vivo. Bioconjug Chem. 2003;14:738-47 pubmed
- Saxena C, Wang H, Kavakli I, Sancar A, Zhong D. Ultrafast dynamics of resonance energy transfer in cryptochrome. J Am Chem Soc. 2005;127:7984-5 pubmed..The results for the first time show energy transfer in cryptochrome suggesting some mechanistic similarities between photolyase that repairs damaged DNA and cryptochrome that mediates blue-light signaling. ..
- Bross M, Soch K, Smith Knuppel T. Anemia in older persons. Am Fam Physician. 2010;82:480-7 pubmed..Occasionally, anemia may be caused by less common but potentially treatable conditions, such as autoimmune hemolytic anemia, malignancy, or myelodysplastic syndrome. ..
- Pardi D, Loftus E, Kremers W, Keach J, Lindor K. Ursodeoxycholic acid as a chemopreventive agent in patients with ulcerative colitis and primary sclerosing cholangitis. Gastroenterology. 2003;124:889-93 pubmed..26; 95% confidence interval, 0.07-0.99; P = 0.049). UDCA significantly decreases the risk for developing colorectal dysplasia or cancer in patients with UC and PSC. ..
- Chiu S, Marcucci G, Lee R. Efficient delivery of an antisense oligodeoxyribonucleotide formulated in folate receptor-targeted liposomes. Anticancer Res. 2006;26:1049-56 pubmed..FR-targeted formulations were capable of specific targeting to FR-overexpressing cell lines and optimizing the amount of folate ligand in the liposomal formulation can result in more efficient antisense delivery. ..
- Piyathilake C, Azrad M, Macaluso M, Johanning G, Cornwell P, Partridge E, et al. Protective association of MTHFR polymorphism on cervical intraepithelial neoplasia is modified by riboflavin status. Nutrition. 2007;23:229-35 pubmed..The practical implications of this complex gene-nutrient-disease interaction will require further investigation. ..
- Iskandar B, Nelson A, Resnick D, Skene J, Gao P, Johnson C, et al. Folic acid supplementation enhances repair of the adult central nervous system. Ann Neurol. 2004;56:221-7 pubmed..The results show that the effects of folic acid supplementation on CNS growth processes are not restricted to the embryonic period, but can also be effective for enhancing growth, repair, and recovery in the injured adult CNS. ..
- Radivoyevitch T, Loparo K, Jackson R, Sedwick W. On systems and control approaches to therapeutic gain. BMC Cancer. 2006;6:104 pubmed..Their abstractions facilitate considerations of alternative treatment strategies and support syntheses of learning experiences across different cancers. ..
- Díaz De La Garza R, Gregory J, Hanson A. Folate biofortification of tomato fruit. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:4218-22 pubmed..The folate levels we achieved provide the complete adult daily requirement in less than one standard serving. ..
- Hadwiger J. Developmental morphology and chemotactic responses are dependent on G alpha subunit specificity in Dictyostelium. Dev Biol. 2007;312:1-12 pubmed..These results indicate that Dictyostelium G alpha subunit specificity is not limited to receptor coupling and that G alpha subunit sequences outside of the carboxyl terminus are important for cell movement and developmental processes. ..
- Matteson E, Lowe V, Prendergast F, Crowson C, Moder K, Morgenstern D, et al. Assessment of disease activity in rheumatoid arthritis using a novel folate targeted radiopharmaceutical Folatescan. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2009;27:253-9 pubmed..36; p=0.02). Joint uptake was also seen in patients with osteoarthritis. FolateScan is a potentially useful tool for detection of disease activity in patients with RA and may be more sensitive than the physical examination. ..
- Said H, Mee L, Sekar V, Ashokkumar B, Pandol S. Mechanism and regulation of folate uptake by pancreatic acinar cells: effect of chronic alcohol consumption. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2010;298:G985-93 pubmed publisher..In addition, chronic alcohol feeding leads to a marked inhibition in folate uptake by pancreatic acinar cells, an effect that is associated with reduction in level of expression of RFC and PCFT. ..
- Chen L, Eitenmiller R. Optimization of the trienzyme extraction for the microbiological assay of folate in vegetables. J Agric Food Chem. 2007;55:3884-8 pubmed..The optimized trienzyme digestion condition was applied to five vegetables and yielded higher folate levels than the trienzyme digestion parameters employed in AOAC Official Method 2004.05. ..
- Guo W, Lee R. Efficient gene delivery via non-covalent complexes of folic acid and polyethylenimine. J Control Release. 2001;77:131-8 pubmed..This novel formulation provides a reliable, low-cost, and highly efficient method for delivery of genes and may have applications in gene therapy. ..
- Hanson A, Gregory J. Synthesis and turnover of folates in plants. Curr Opin Plant Biol. 2002;5:244-9 pubmed..Moreover, new analytical advances will help to elucidate plant folate turnover and transport, which are practically unexplored. ..
- Froehlich A, Chen C, Belden W, Madeti C, Roenneberg T, Merrow M, et al. Genetic and molecular characterization of a cryptochrome from the filamentous fungus Neurospora crassa. Eukaryot Cell. 2010;9:738-50 pubmed publisher..Whole-genome microarray experiments failed to identify substantive transcriptional regulatory activity of cry under our laboratory conditions. ..
- Xu L, Betker J, Yin H, Anchordoquy T. Ligands located within a cholesterol domain enhance gene delivery to the target tissue. J Control Release. 2012;160:57-63 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that the microenvironment of the ligand can affect gene delivery to tumors, and show that ligand-mediated delivery can be enhanced by locating targeting ligands within a cholesterol domain. ..
- Hadwiger J, Srinivasan J. Folic acid stimulation of the Galpha4 G protein-mediated signal transduction pathway inhibits anterior prestalk cell development in Dictyostelium. Differentiation. 1999;64:195-204 pubmed..The results of this study suggest that Galpha4-mediated signals can regulate cell-type-specific differentiation by promoting prespore cell development and inhibiting anterior prestalk-cell development. ..
- Bailey L, Duhaney R, Maneval D, Kauwell G, Quinlivan E, Davis S, et al. Vitamin B-12 status is inversely associated with plasma homocysteine in young women with C677T and/or A1298C methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase polymorphisms. J Nutr. 2002;132:1872-8 pubmed..These data suggest that enhancing vitamin B-12 status may significantly decrease homocysteine in young women with C677T and/or A1298C MTHFR polymorphisms, even when vitamin B-12 concentrations are within the normal range. ..
- Vaughn J, Bailey L, Shelnutt K, Dunwoody K, Maneval D, Davis S, et al. Methionine synthase reductase 66A->G polymorphism is associated with increased plasma homocysteine concentration when combined with the homozygous methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase 677C->T variant. J Nutr. 2004;134:2985-90 pubmed
- Klaus S, Wegkamp A, Sybesma W, Hugenholtz J, Gregory J, Hanson A. A nudix enzyme removes pyrophosphate from dihydroneopterin triphosphate in the folate synthesis pathway of bacteria and plants. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:5274-80 pubmed..and Kraszewska, E. (2002) J. Biol. Chem. 277, 50482-50486). However, we found that this activity is negligible at physiological levels of Mn(2+) and that, with 1 mM Mg(2+), AtNUDT1 prefers DHNTP and (deoxy) nucleoside triphosphates. ..
- Ernest S, Carter M, Shao H, Hosack A, Lerner N, Colmenares C, et al. Parallel changes in metabolite and expression profiles in crooked-tail mutant and folate-reduced wild-type mice. Hum Mol Genet. 2006;15:3387-93 pubmed..These results raise the possibility of using metabolite and expression profiles to distinguish folate-responsive and resistance adult females who are at risk for bearing fetuses with an NTD. ..
- Mishra P, Givvimani S, Metreveli N, Tyagi S. Attenuation of beta2-adrenergic receptors and homocysteine metabolic enzymes cause diabetic cardiomyopathy. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;401:175-81 pubmed publisher..It points to the involvement of beta2-AR in diabetic cardiomyopathy. We conclude that degradation of beta2-AR and impairment of Hcy metabolism is implicated in diabetic cardiomyopathy. ..
- Agopian A, Lupo P, Herdt Losavio M, Langlois P, Rocheleau C, Mitchell L. Differences in folic acid use, prenatal care, smoking, and drinking in early pregnancy by occupation. Prev Med. 2012;55:341-345 pubmed publisher..2-0.5). We identified several occupational groups with an increased prevalence of high-risk maternal behaviors during pregnancy. Our findings could aid in developing interventions targeted towards women in these occupational groups. ..
- Smolen J, Cohen S, Tony H, Scheinberg M, Kivitz A, Balanescu A, et al. A randomised, double-blind trial to demonstrate bioequivalence of GP2013 and reference rituximab combined with methotrexate in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2017;76:1598-1602 pubmed publisher..Three-way PK/PD equivalence of GP2013, RTX-EU and RTX-US was demonstrated. Efficacy, safety and immunogenicity profiles were similar between GP2013 and RTX. NCT01274182; Results. ..
- Krupenko S, Oleinik N. 10-formyltetrahydrofolate dehydrogenase, one of the major folate enzymes, is down-regulated in tumor tissues and possesses suppressor effects on cancer cells. Cell Growth Differ. 2002;13:227-36 pubmed..Hence, down-regulation of FDH in tumors is proposed to be one of the cellular mechanisms that enhance proliferation. ..
- Quinlivan E, Davis S, Shelnutt K, Henderson G, Ghandour H, Shane B, et al. Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase 677C->T polymorphism and folate status affect one-carbon incorporation into human DNA deoxynucleosides. J Nutr. 2005;135:389-96 pubmed..These findings support the feasibility of further assessment of factors affecting deoxynucleotide synthesis and DNA methylation in human 1-carbon metabolism. ..
- Jakubowski H, Perla Kajan J, Finnell R, Cabrera R, Wang H, Gupta S, et al. Genetic or nutritional disorders in homocysteine or folate metabolism increase protein N-homocysteinylation in mice. FASEB J. 2009;23:1721-7 pubmed publisher..These findings provide evidence that N-Hcy-protein is an important metabolite associated with Hcy pathophysiology in the mouse. ..
- Iskandar B, Rizk E, Meier B, Hariharan N, Bottiglieri T, Finnell R, et al. Folate regulation of axonal regeneration in the rodent central nervous system through DNA methylation. J Clin Invest. 2010;120:1603-16 pubmed publisher..If indeed the benefit of folate is mediated by epigenetic mechanisms that promote endogenous axonal regeneration, this provides possible avenues for new pharmacologic approaches to treating CNS injuries. ..
- Tibbetts A, Appling D. Compartmentalization of Mammalian folate-mediated one-carbon metabolism. Annu Rev Nutr. 2010;30:57-81 pubmed publisher..Identifying the mitochondrial transporters for the one-carbon donors and elucidating how flux through these pathways is controlled are two areas ripe for exploration. ..
- Hoeferlin L, Fekry B, Ogretmen B, Krupenko S, Krupenko N. Folate stress induces apoptosis via p53-dependent de novo ceramide synthesis and up-regulation of ceramide synthase 6. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:12880-90 pubmed publisher..Importantly, folate withdrawal also induced CerS6/C16-ceramide elevation accompanied by p53 accumulation. Overall, these novel findings link folate and de novo ceramide pathways in cellular stress response. ..
- Qin B, Xun P, Jacobs D, Zhu N, Daviglus M, Reis J, et al. Intake of niacin, folate, vitamin B-6, and vitamin B-12 through young adulthood and cognitive function in midlife: the Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2017;106:1032-1040 pubmed publisher..52, 3.65; P-trend = 0.02) resulted in better psychomotor speed measured by DSST scores.Conclusion: Higher intake of B vitamins throughout young adulthood was associated with better cognitive function in midlife. ..
- Hou X, Maser R, Magenheimer B, Calvet J. A mouse kidney- and liver-expressed cDNA having homology with a prokaryotic parathion hydrolase (phosphotriesterase)-encoding gene: abnormal expression in injured and polycystic kidneys. Gene. 1996;168:157-63 pubmed..This cDNA represents the first eukaryotic sequence showing similarity to these prokaryotic genes. Based on this apparent homology, it has been named mpr56-1 (for mouse phosphotriesterase-related 56-1). ..
- Basset G, Quinlivan E, Ziemak M, Diaz De La Garza R, Fischer M, Schiffmann S, et al. Folate synthesis in plants: the first step of the pterin branch is mediated by a unique bimodular GTP cyclohydrolase I. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:12489-94 pubmed..As ripening advances, GCHI expression declines sharply, and folate content drops, suggesting that folate synthesis fails to keep pace with turnover. ..
- Goode E, Potter J, Bigler J, Ulrich C. Methionine synthase D919G polymorphism, folate metabolism, and colorectal adenoma risk. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2004;13:157-62 pubmed..These findings add to what is known about the complexities of genetic variations in one-carbon-metabolizing enzymes in relation to colorectal carcinogenesis. ..
- Noiriel A, Naponelli V, Bozzo G, Gregory J, Hanson A. Folate salvage in plants: pterin aldehyde reduction is mediated by multiple non-specific aldehyde reductases. Plant J. 2007;51:378-89 pubmed..We conclude that pterin aldehyde salvage in plants involves multiple, generalist NADPH-linked reductases, and that the At1g10310 enzyme is typical of these and hence suitable for use in engineering studies of folate turnover. ..
- Oleinik N, Krupenko N, Krupenko S. ALDH1L1 inhibits cell motility via dephosphorylation of cofilin by PP1 and PP2A. Oncogene. 2010;29:6233-44 pubmed publisher..Overall, this study shows the presence of distinct intracellular signaling pathways regulating motility in response to folate status and points toward mechanisms involving folates in promoting a malignant phenotype. ..
- Pribat A, Noiriel A, Morse A, Davis J, Fouquet R, Loizeau K, et al. Nonflowering plants possess a unique folate-dependent phenylalanine hydroxylase that is localized in chloroplasts. Plant Cell. 2010;22:3410-22 pubmed publisher..These data show that nonflowering plants have functional plastidial AAHs, establish an unprecedented electron donor role for a folate, and uncover a novel link between folate and aromatic metabolism...
- Bukhari F, Moradi H, Gollapudi P, Ju Kim H, Vaziri N, Said H. Effect of chronic kidney disease on the expression of thiamin and folic acid transporters. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2011;26:2137-44 pubmed publisher..These events can lead to reduced intestinal absorption and impaired cellular homeostasis of these essential micronutrients despite their normal plasma levels. ..
- Tao M, Mason J, Marian C, McCann S, Platek M, Millen A, et al. Promoter methylation of E-cadherin, p16, and RAR-?(2) genes in breast tumors and dietary intake of nutrients important in one-carbon metabolism. Nutr Cancer. 2011;63:1143-50 pubmed publisher..This finding, however, does not exclude the possibility that intake of such nutrients might have the ability to modulate promoter methylation in normal or premalignant (dysplastic) breast tissue. ..
- Kalhan S, Marczewski S. Methionine, homocysteine, one carbon metabolism and fetal growth. Rev Endocr Metab Disord. 2012;13:109-19 pubmed publisher..These unique changes in methionine and one carbon metabolism in response to physiological, nutritional and hormonal influences make these processes critical for cellular and organ function and growth. ..