Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on finland in Finland
Publications309 found, 100 shown here
- Tynkkynen K, Rantala M, Suhonen J. Interspecific aggression and character displacement in the damselfly Calopteryx splendens. J Evol Biol. 2004;17:759-67 pubmed..virgo males. Thus, interspecific aggression may be an evolutionarily significant force that is able to cause divergence in secondary sexual characters. ..
- Kurvinen K, Smolander P, Pöllänen R, Kuukankorpi S, Kettunen M, Lyytinen J. Design of a radiation surveillance unit for an unmanned aerial vehicle. J Environ Radioact. 2005;81:1-10 pubmed..The radiation surveillance unit is an independent module and as such can be used in, for example, airplanes, helicopters and cars. ..
- Grandell Niemi H, Hupli M, Puukka P, Leino Kilpi H. Finnish nurses' and nursing students' mathematical skills. Nurse Educ Today. 2006;26:151-61 pubmed..The MCS Test could be used to measure one's own skills and to give information of the mathematical skill level for constructing a nursing curriculum or additional training for clinical practice. ..
- Laakkonen J, Kallio E, Kallio Kokko H, Vapalahti O, Vaheri A, Henttonen H. Is there an association of Pneumocystis infection with the presence of arena-, hanta-, and poxvirus antibodies in wild mice and shrews in Finland?. Parasitology. 2006;132:461-6 pubmed..Concurrent presence of virus antibodies (LCMV) and cyst forms of Pneumocystis were detected only in 1 M. minutus. In conclusion, we found no evidence of any association between Pneumocystis and antibodies to any of the viruses tested...
- Spoof L, Berg K, Rapala J, Lahti K, Lepistö L, Metcalf J, et al. First observation of cylindrospermopsin in Anabaena lapponica isolated from the boreal environment (Finland). Environ Toxicol. 2006;21:552-60 pubmed..Cylindrospermopsin was confirmed by all three techniques in a culture sample of Anabaena lapponica at a concentration of 242 microg cylindrospermopsin per g freeze-dried cyanobacterial material...
- Palo J, Hedman M, Söderholm N, Sajantila A. Repatriation and identification of the Finnish World War II soldiers. Croat Med J. 2007;48:528-35 pubmed..Although cultural and individual differences may exist, our experience presented here gives a good perspective on the importance of individual identification performed by forensic professionals. ..
- Hiilamo H, Kahl U, Lambe M. The Philip Morris Nordic journalist program: strategies, implementation and outcomes. Health Policy. 2009;89:84-96 pubmed publisher..The study further supports the notion that the internal corporate documents may expose the intents of the industry, but do not include enough information to evaluate implementation of industry's strategies or their outcomes. ..
- Kangasniemi M, Blomberg K, Korhonen A. Mothers' perceptions of their health choices, related duties and responsibilities: A qualitative interview study. Midwifery. 2015;31:1039-44 pubmed publisher..Although health choices in general are well recognised as a part of maternal counselling, these findings suggest a moral perspective should be incorporated into the advice that is provided. ..
- Virjo I, Kirkkola A, Isokoski M, Mattila K. Contraceptive methods: knowledge sources rated by women and men. Contraception. 1999;59:257-63 pubmed..This study shows that physicians have primary roles as information sources. They need to be familiar with other information sources and should fulfill their responsibility accordingly. ..
- Korpelainen R, Orava S, Karpakka J, Siira P, Hulkko A. Risk factors for recurrent stress fractures in athletes. Am J Sports Med. 2001;29:304-10 pubmed..Nearly half of the female patients (40%) reported menstrual irregularities. Runners with high weekly training mileage were found to be at risk of recurrent stress fractures of the lower extremities. ..
- Hollmen T, Franson J, Kilpi M, Docherty D, Hansen W, Hario M. Isolation and characterization of a reovirus from common eiders (Somateria mollissima) from Finland. Avian Dis. 2002;46:478-84 pubmed..These findings raise the question of potential involvement of the virus in poor duckling survival and eider population declines observed in several breeding areas along coastal Finland since the mid-1980s...
- Rikkinen J, Oksanen I, Lohtander K. Lichen guilds share related cyanobacterial symbionts. Science. 2002;297:357 pubmed
- Carlsson S, Granlund H, Jansson C, Nyman D, Wahlberg P. Characteristics of erythema migrans in Borrelia afzelii and Borrelia garinii infections. Scand J Infect Dis. 2003;35:31-3 pubmed..The garinii erythemas developed more rapidly, and were generally larger than the afzelii erythemas. The observations call for comparison with other geographical areas with similar, and with different, borrelial infection spectra...
- Maki K, Janss L, Groen A, Liinamo A, Ojala M. An indication of major genes affecting hip and elbow dysplasia in four Finnish dog populations. Heredity (Edinb). 2004;92:402-8 pubmed..However, the major genes that are possibly affecting hip and elbow dysplasia in these populations will require further study. ..
- Remes A, Finnila S, Mononen H, Tuominen H, Takalo R, Herva R, et al. Hereditary dementia with intracerebral hemorrhages and cerebral amyloid angiopathy. Neurology. 2004;63:234-40 pubmed..No amyloidogenic mutations were identified, but the role of the APP region could not be entirely excluded. ..
- Rasinpera H, Savilahti E, Enattah N, Kuokkanen M, Tötterman N, Lindahl H, et al. A genetic test which can be used to diagnose adult-type hypolactasia in children. Gut. 2004;53:1571-6 pubmed..03). Genetic test of C/T(-13910) polymorphism can be used as a first stage screening test for adult-type hypolactasia. ..
- Routti H, Nyman M, Bäckman C, Koistinen J, Helle E. Accumulation of dietary organochlorines and vitamins in Baltic seals. Mar Environ Res. 2005;60:267-87 pubmed..These results further support our previous hypothesis that the toxic effects of environmental contaminants could be causing the observed divergence in vitamin levels between the Baltic seals and the reference seal populations. ..
- Aalto M, Pekuri P, Seppa K. Implementation of brief alcohol intervention in primary health care: do nurses' and general practitioners' attitudes, skills and knowledge change?. Drug Alcohol Rev. 2005;24:555-8 pubmed..Instead, attitudes and skills among the professionals did not seem to develop positively. Increasing motivational skills especially seems to be the future challenge. ..
- Nieminen J, Sauri P, Lonka K. On the relationship between group functioning and study success in problem-based learning. Med Educ. 2006;40:64-71 pubmed..Group functioning, case quality and study success are associated with each other in PBL. The interaction between these aspects of PBL in promoting learning calls for further investigation. ..
- Heinonen M, Oravainen J, Orro T, Seppä Lassila L, Ala Kurikka E, Virolainen J, et al. Lameness and fertility of sows and gilts in randomly selected loose-housed herds in Finland. Vet Rec. 2006;159:383-7 pubmed..7 times the odds of being lame than Landrace or crossbred animals. Higher parity and the use of roughage decreased the odds of the sows not becoming pregnant; however, lameness was not a risk factor for non-pregnancy...
- Kärpänoja P, Nyberg S, Bergman M, Voipio T, Paakkari P, Huovinen P, et al. Connection between trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole use and resistance in Streptococcus pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenzae, and Moraxella catarrhalis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2008;52:2480-5 pubmed publisher..However, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole remains an important antimicrobial agent because of its reasonable price. Hence, resistance to trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole among these pathogens needs continuous monitoring. ..
- Skyttä E, Eskelinen A, Paavolainen P, Ikävalko M, Remes V. Total elbow arthroplasty in rheumatoid arthritis: a population-based study from the Finnish Arthroplasty Register. Acta Orthop. 2009;80:472-7 pubmed publisher..We evaluated the survival of different TEA designs and factors associated with survival using data from a nationwide arthroplasty register...
- Leinonen M, Nieminen P, Kotaniemi Talonen L, Malila N, Tarkkanen J, Laurila P, et al. Age-specific evaluation of primary human papillomavirus screening vs conventional cytology in a randomized setting. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2009;101:1612-23 pubmed publisher..Among women aged 35 years or older, primary HPV DNA screening with cytology triage is also more specific than conventional screening and decreases colposcopy referrals and follow-up tests. ..
- Visuri T, MÃ¤kelÃ¤ K, Pulkkinen P, Artama M, Pukkala E. Long-term mortality and causes of death among patients with a total knee prosthesis in primary osteoarthritis. Knee. 2016;23:162-6 pubmed publisher..This trend should be taken into account when young patients undergo a TKA. Observational study, III. ..
- Mäki Torkko E, Lindholm P, Väyrynen M, Leisti J, Sorri M. Epidemiology of moderate to profound childhood hearing impairments in northern Finland. Any changes in ten years?. Scand Audiol. 1998;27:95-103 pubmed..A database could be beneficial in increasing the systemacy of the diagnostic process. ..
- Heikkinen J, Ahonen A, Kuikka J, Rautio P. Quality of myocardial perfusion single-photon emission tomography imaging: multicentre evaluation with a cardiac phantom. Eur J Nucl Med. 1999;26:1289-97 pubmed..The method described is suitable for external quality assurance and quality improvement of myocardial SPET imaging, and is recommended for regular use in nuclear medicine. ..
- Hannuksela Svahn A, Sigurgeirsson B, Pukkala E, Lindelof B, Berne B, Hannuksela M, et al. Trioxsalen bath PUVA did not increase the risk of squamous cell skin carcinoma and cutaneous malignant melanoma in a joint analysis of 944 Swedish and Finnish patients with psoriasis. Br J Dermatol. 1999;141:497-501 pubmed..The result needs to be confirmed in a future follow-up, however, as the number of patients with high PUVA exposures was low. ..
- Nystrom M, Kleemola Kujala E, Evalahti M, Peck L, Kataja M. Emergence of permanent teeth and dental age in a series of Finns. Acta Odontol Scand. 2001;59:49-56 pubmed..It appears that the two methods to assess dental maturity are not interchangeable in practice. Tooth counts can be used in maturity estimations up to about 13 years of age, whereas the radiographic method works best to about 11 years. ..
- Karvonen J, Kauma H, Kervinen K, Rantala M, Ikäheimo M, Paivansalo M, et al. Endothelial nitric oxide synthase gene Glu298Asp polymorphism and blood pressure, left ventricular mass and carotid artery atherosclerosis in a population-based cohort. J Intern Med. 2002;251:102-10 pubmed..The Glu298Asp variant of the eNOS gene does not seem to be a major risk factor for cardiovascular alterations in the general population. ..
- Hannu T, Mattila L, Nuorti J, Ruutu P, Mikkola J, Siitonen A, et al. Reactive arthritis after an outbreak of Yersinia pseudotuberculosis serotype O:3 infection. Ann Rheum Dis. 2003;62:866-9 pubmed..To determine the occurrence and clinical characteristics of reactive arthritis (ReA) after an outbreak of Yersinia pseudotuberculosis serotype O:3 infection...
- Vahtera J, Kivimaki M, Pentti J, Linna A, Virtanen M, Virtanen P, et al. Organisational downsizing, sickness absence, and mortality: 10-town prospective cohort study. BMJ. 2004;328:555 pubmed..The corresponding hazard ratio was 1.4 (0.6 to 3.1) during the second half of follow up. Organisational downsizing may increase sickness absence and the risk of death from cardiovascular disease in employees who keep their jobs ..
- Kall S, Fagerholm H, Sarvala J. Pathogenicity of the gill artery worm Philometra obturans (Nematoda) in northern pike (Esox lucius) in southwest Finland. J Parasitol. 2004;90:177-81 pubmed..05). The results show that infection with this nematode has a detrimental effect on the host when combined with environmental or physiological stress and may result in host mortality...
- Sivenius K, Pihlajamaki J, Partanen J, Niskanen L, Laakso M, Uusitupa M. Aldose reductase gene polymorphisms and peripheral nerve function in patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2004;27:2021-6 pubmed..No associations were found between the polymorphisms examined and clinical polyneuropathy. The C-106T polymorphism of the ALR gene may contribute to an early development of neurophysiologic deterioration in type 2 diabetic patients. ..
- Koponen S, Taiminen T, Kairisto V, Portin R, Isoniemi H, Hinkka S, et al. APOE-epsilon4 predicts dementia but not other psychiatric disorders after traumatic brain injury. Neurology. 2004;63:749-50 pubmed..Dementia and subclinical dementia were significantly more common with the presence of APOE-epsilon4. The occurrence of other psychiatric disorders did not differ between patients with and without APOE-epsilon4 allele. ..
- Karppinen S, Heikkinen K, Rapakko K, Winqvist R. Mutation screening of the BARD1 gene: evidence for involvement of the Cys557Ser allele in hereditary susceptibility to breast cancer. J Med Genet. 2004;41:e114 pubmed
- Jalava K, Hakkinen M, Valkonen M, Nakari U, Palo T, Hallanvuo S, et al. An outbreak of gastrointestinal illness and erythema nodosum from grated carrots contaminated with Yersinia pseudotuberculosis. J Infect Dis. 2006;194:1209-16 pubmed..In May 2003, a cluster of gastrointestinal illness and erythema nodosum was detected among schoolchildren who had eaten lunches prepared by the same institutional kitchen...
- Seppala E, Autio V, Duggal P, Ikonen T, Stenman U, Auvinen A, et al. KLF6 IVS1 -27G>A variant and the risk of prostate cancer in Finland. Eur Urol. 2007;52:1076-81 pubmed..Our results do not support the suggested association of KLF6 IVS1 -27G>A germline polymorphism with pCA risk and also suggest that the variant is not a risk allele for BPH in the Finnish population. ..
- Myllys L, Stenroos S, Thell A, Kuusinen M. High cyanobiont selectivity of epiphytic lichens in old growth boreal forest of Finland. New Phytol. 2007;173:621-9 pubmed..A same Nostoc strain was found to form associations with taxonomically unrelated lichens indicating that the cyanobiont-mycobiont associations as a whole were not highly specific in the examined species...
- Hakkinen M, Heiska H, Hänninen M. Prevalence of Campylobacter spp. in cattle in Finland and antimicrobial susceptibilities of bovine Campylobacter jejuni strains. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2007;73:3232-8 pubmed..Sixteen (9%) of the isolates were resistant to at least one of the antimicrobials tested. Resistance to nalidixic acid was most commonly detected (6%). No multiresistance was observed...
- Kallio E, Voutilainen L, Vapalahti O, Vaheri A, Henttonen H, Koskela E, et al. Endemic hantavirus infection impairs the winter survival of its rodent host. Ecology. 2007;88:1911-6 pubmed..Our results provide the first evidence for a significant effect of PUUV on host survival suggesting that hantaviruses, and endemic pathogens in general, deserve even more attention in studies of host population dynamics. ..
- Raikkonen K, Matthews K. Do dispositional pessimism and optimism predict ambulatory blood pressure during school days and nights in adolescents?. J Pers. 2008;76:605-30 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that optimism and pessimism are not the opposite poles on a single continuum but ought to be treated as separate constructs. ..
- ..The role of alcohol as a risk factor has grown. The prevention of these deaths should focus on less drinking of alcohol and avoid leaving a drunken bather alone in the sauna. ..
- Koivunen M, Valimaki M, Hatonen H. Nurses' information retrieval skills in psychiatric hospitals - are the requirements for evidence-based practice fulfilled?. Nurse Educ Pract. 2010;10:27-31 pubmed publisher..It would be also advisable to develop centralized systems for the internal dissemination of research findings for the use of nursing staff. ..
- Helin Salmivaara A, Lavikainen P, Korhonen M, Halava H, Martikainen J, Saastamoinen L, et al. Pattern of statin use among 10 cohorts of new users from 1995 to 2004: a register-based nationwide study. Am J Manag Care. 2010;16:116-22 pubmed..Adherence to statin therapy remained stable among initiators from 1995 to 2004. ..
- Numminen O, Leino Kilpi H, Isoaho H, Meretoja R. Ethical climate and nurse competence - newly graduated nurses' perceptions. Nurs Ethics. 2015;22:845-59 pubmed publisher..Interventions, continuing education courses, and discussions designed to promote positive ethical climates should be developed for managers, nurses, and multi-professional teams. ..
- Eriksson J, Kajantie E, Thornburg K, Osmond C. Prenatal and maternal characteristics and later risk for coronary heart disease among women. Eur J Prev Cardiol. 2016;23:385-90 pubmed publisher..Small birth size is associated with CHD among women. First-born women with high birth weight appear to be at lower risk for CHD compared with later born women. ..
- Hietaniemi V, Rämö S, Yli Mattila T, Jestoi M, Peltonen S, Kartio M, et al. Updated survey of Fusarium species and toxins in Finnish cereal grains. Food Addit Contam Part A Chem Anal Control Expo Risk Assess. 2016;33:831-48 pubmed publisher..Climate change is leading to warmer weather, and this may indicate more changes in Finnish Fusarium mycobiota and toxin contents and profiles in the near future. ..
- Sorsa M, Greacen T, Lehto J, Ã…stedt Kurki P. A Qualitative Study of Barriers to Care for People With Co-Occurring Disorders. Arch Psychiatr Nurs. 2017;31:399-406 pubmed publisher..Providers in each local area should examine possible barriers and find solutions together, integrating the client perspective at each step in the process. ..
- Vidgren H, Sipiläinen R, Heikkinen S, Laakso M, Uusitupa M. Threonine allele in codon 54 of the fatty acid binding protein 2 gene does not modify the fatty acid composition of serum lipids in obese subjects. Eur J Clin Invest. 1997;27:405-8 pubmed..13, for trend). In conclusion, our findings suggest that a polymorphism at codon 54 of the I-FABP2 gene does not substantially modify the fatty acid composition of serum lipids in obese Finns. ..
- Tenkanen L, Sjoblom T, Kalimo R, Alikoski T, Harma M. Shift work, occupation and coronary heart disease over 6 years of follow-up in the Helsinki Heart Study. Scand J Work Environ Health. 1997;23:257-65 pubmed..Shift work is an important part of the occupational gradient in CHD risk among industrial workers; some evidence was found for the hypothesis that a direct stress-related mechanism explains part of the increased CHD risk. ..
- Vuorisalo S, Pokela R, Syrjala H. Comparison of vancomycin and cefuroxime for infection prophylaxis in coronary artery bypass surgery. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1998;19:234-9 pubmed..In addition to the increasing vancomycin-resistant enterococci problem, the easier administration and usually lower price of cefuroxime make it preferable to vancomycin. ..
- Kukkula M, Maunula L, Silvennoinen E, von Bonsdorff C. Outbreak of viral gastroenteritis due to drinking water contaminated by Norwalk-like viruses. J Infect Dis. 1999;180:1771-6 pubmed..In some patients, NLV genogroup I was also encountered. This virus, however, could not be detected in the water samples. Inadequate chlorination contributed to the survival of the virus in the water. ..
- Heinonen M, Autio T, Saloniemi H, Tuovinen V. Eradication of Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae from infected swine herds joining the LSO 2000 health class. Acta Vet Scand. 1999;40:241-52 pubmed..Only 57% of the farmers gave some estimates for the expenses on their farms. For variants 1, 2 and 3 the expenses were 879, 1110 and 1274 FIM per sow (1 USD = 5.5 FIM), respectively (p > 0.1). ..
- Tuomi T, Reijula K, Johnsson T, Hemminki K, Hintikka E, Lindroos O, et al. Mycotoxins in crude building materials from water-damaged buildings. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2000;66:1899-904 pubmed
- Palosuo H. Health-related lifestyles and alienation in Moscow and Helsinki. Soc Sci Med. 2000;51:1325-41 pubmed..Valuing health did not seem to emerge as a distinct healthy lifestyle in Moscow where behavioural choices were limited by many material constraints. ..
- Han X, Aho M, Vene S, Peltomaa M, Vaheri A, Vapalahti O. Prevalence of tick-borne encephalitis virus in Ixodes ricinus ticks in Finland. J Med Virol. 2001;64:21-8 pubmed..TBE virus RNA positive ticks were not found in I. ricinus panels consisting of 130 pools (726 ticks) from Helsinki city parks or 41 pools (197 ticks) from Võrmsi Island in Estonia. ..
- Saarenpää Heikkilä O, Laippala P, Koivikko M. Subjective daytime sleepiness and its predictors in Finnish adolescents in an interview study. Acta Paediatr. 2001;90:552-7 pubmed
- Arte S, Nieminen P, Apajalahti S, Haavikko K, Thesleff I, Pirinen S. Characteristics of incisor-premolar hypodontia in families. J Dent Res. 2001;80:1445-50 pubmed..We conclude that incisor-premolar hypodontia is a genetic condition with autosomal-dominant transmission and that it is associated with several other dental abnormalities. ..
- Karppinen J, Paakko E, Räinä S, Tervonen O, Kurunlahti M, Nieminen P, et al. Magnetic resonance imaging findings in relation to the COL9A2 tryptophan allele among patients with sciatica. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2002;27:78-83 pubmed..The patients with the Trp2 allele were more flexible, and more often tended to have a radial tear in a nonherniated disc than their control counterparts. ..
- Rökman A, Ikonen T, Seppala E, Nupponen N, Autio V, Mononen N, et al. Germline alterations of the RNASEL gene, a candidate HPC1 gene at 1q25, in patients and families with prostate cancer. Am J Hum Genet. 2002;70:1299-304 pubmed..This suggests a possible modifying role in cancer predisposition. The impact that the RNASEL sequence variants have on PRCA burden at the population level seems small but deserves further study. ..
- Korte T, Fredriksson Ahomaa M, Niskanen T, Korkeala H. Low prevalence of yadA-positive Yersinia enterocolitica in sows. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2004;1:45-52 pubmed..enterocolitica 4/O:3 strains persisting among slaughter swine were demonstrated to be very stable genetically. This study shows that fattening pigs are an important reservoir of different genotypes of Y. enterocolitica 4/O:3 strains. ..
- Lehtola S, Koistinen P, Luukinen H. Falls and injurious falls late in home-dwelling life. Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2006;42:217-24 pubmed..Time of day affects the occurrence of injuries in falls. Ongoing activity and type of falling play a minor role in falls causing injuries among the most elderly. ..
- Lehtimaki T, Hemminki J, Rontu R, Mikkilä V, Räsänen L, Laaksonen M, et al. The effects of adult-type hypolactasia on body height growth and dietary calcium intake from childhood into young adulthood: a 21-year follow-up study--the Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study. Pediatrics. 2006;118:1553-9 pubmed..However, it contributed significantly to milk product consumption and dietary calcium intake from childhood into young adulthood. ..
- Kinnunen P, Billich C, Ek Kommonen C, Henttonen H, Kallio R, Niemimaa J, et al. Serological evidence for Borna disease virus infection in humans, wild rodents and other vertebrates in Finland. J Clin Virol. 2007;38:64-9 pubmed..BDV infection may lead to meningoencephalomyelitis in animals. An association with human neuropsychiatric diseases has been reported, but the causal relationship between BDV and human disease remains unclear...
- Laaksonen M, Mikkilä V, Räsänen L, Rontu R, Lehtimäki T, Viikari J, et al. Genetic lactase non-persistence, consumption of milk products and intakes of milk nutrients in Finns from childhood to young adulthood. Br J Nutr. 2009;102:8-17 pubmed publisher..Thus, in those with the C/C- 13910 genotype, preference for low-lactose milk and milk products may decrease the risk for inadequate Ca intake. ..
- Asikainen J, Nikiphorou E, Kaarela K, Lindqvist E, Hakkinen A, Kautiainen H, et al. Is long-term radiographic joint damage different between men and women? Prospective longitudinal data analysis of four early RA cohorts with greater than 15 years follow-up. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2016;34:641-5 pubmed..All Heinola patients were seropositive. After a 15-20 year follow-up period, RA joint damage appears comparable in women and men. The results suggest that management should not differ at least based on gender. ..
- Jaaskelainen J, Kiekara O, Hippelainen M, Voutilainen R. Pituitary gonadal axis and child rate in males with classical 21-hydroxylase deficiency. J Endocrinol Invest. 2000;23:23-7 pubmed..This might be explained by suboptimal psychosocial adaptation to the chronic disease. However, the patients in this study were young and the final child rate may become essentially higher. ..
- García Gil M, Mikkonen M, Savolainen O. Nucleotide diversity at two phytochrome loci along a latitudinal cline in Pinus sylvestris. Mol Ecol. 2003;12:1195-206 pubmed..Despite the low level of nucleotide variation, haplotypic diversity was relatively high (0.42 and 0.41 for fragments of 1156 nucleotides) at the two loci...
- Hakalahti T, Pasternak A, Valtonen E. Seasonal dynamics of egg laying and egg-laying strategy of the ectoparasite Argulus coregoni (Crustacea: Branchiura). Parasitology. 2004;128:655-60 pubmed..5 months up to mid-October. The egg-laying pattern of A. coregoni population was unimodal, supporting the view that only a single A. coregoni generation occurred annually in Central Finland...
- Syrjälä P, Nylund M, Heinikainen S. European brown hare syndrome in free-living mountain hares (Lepus timidus) and European brown hares (Lepus europaeus) in Finland 1990-2002. J Wildl Dis. 2005;41:42-7 pubmed..This is the first report of an outbreak of EBHS occurring mainly among free-living mountain hares from Finland. ..
- Lehtonen H, Kiuru M, Ylisaukko Oja S, Salovaara R, Herva R, Koivisto P, et al. Increased risk of cancer in patients with fumarate hydratase germline mutation. J Med Genet. 2006;43:523-6 pubmed..Some evidence for association of breast and bladder carcinoma with HLRCC was obtained. The data enlighten the organ specific malignant potential of HLRCC...
- Nieminen T, Lehtimaki T, Laiho J, Rontu R, Niemela K, Koobi T, et al. Effects of polymorphisms in beta1-adrenoceptor and alpha-subunit of G protein on heart rate and blood pressure during exercise test. The Finnish Cardiovascular Study. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2006;100:507-11 pubmed..In conclusion, polymorphisms examined appear to have modulatory effects on hemodynamics in a clinical exercise test setting. However, the effects in absolute numbers were minor and clinically possibly insignificant. ..
- Tiitinen K, Yang B, Haraldsson G, Jonsdottir S, Kallio H. Fast analysis of sugars, fruit acids, and vitamin C in sea buckthorn (Hippophaë rhamnoides L.) varieties. J Agric Food Chem. 2006;54:2508-13 pubmed..In the GC method, vitamin C was analyzed as ascorbic acid only, and dehydroascorbic acid was thus not taken into account...
- Vuorialho A, Karinen P, Sorri M. Effect of hearing aids on hearing disability and quality of life in the elderly. Int J Audiol. 2006;45:400-5 pubmed..According to the HHIE-S, hearing aids clearly alleviated hearing disability. The EQ-5D questionnaire was not sensitive enough for measuring the health-related quality of life of subjects with hearing impairment. ..
- Tupasela A. Locating tissue collections in tissue economies--deriving value from biomedical research. New Genet Soc. 2006;25:33-49 pubmed
- Mustonen A, Koivikko M, Haapamaki V, Kiuru M, Lamminen A, Koskinen S. Multidetector computed tomography in acute knee injuries: assessment of cruciate ligaments with magnetic resonance imaging correlation. Acta Radiol. 2007;48:104-11 pubmed..MDCT can detect an intact ACL and PCL with good specificity, accuracy, and negative predictive value. The assessment of torn ligaments is unreliable. ..
- Tuomilehto H, Peltonen M, Partinen M, Seppä J, Saaristo T, Korpi Hyövälti E, et al. Sleep duration is associated with an increased risk for the prevalence of type 2 diabetes in middle-aged women - The FIN-D2D survey. Sleep Med. 2008;9:221-7 pubmed..Short (< or = 6h) or long (> or = 8h) sleep duration is related to an increased risk of type 2 diabetes in middle-aged women but not in men. ..
- Heikkinen R, Kivastik J, Kingisepp P, Hirvonen L, Näyhä S. Smoking differences between university faculties in Tartu, Estonia, and Oulu, Finland, after the disruption of communism. Soz Praventivmed. 2006;51:381-91 pubmed..g. sports). The relatively high percentage of smokers in the Tartu medical faculty compared with that in Oulu can be interpreted as delayed diffusion of medical information beyond the former Iron Curtain. ..
- Auvinen A. Personal health systems and value creation mechanisms in occupational health care. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2007;2007:5883-6 pubmed..This paper also claims that in such a business-to-business market service integrators are needed to compose for the various customers specific offerings combing a tailored variety of products and services to suit their specific needs. ..
- Raikkonen K, Pesonen A, Heinonen K, Kajantie E, Hovi P, Järvenpää A, et al. Depression in young adults with very low birth weight: the Helsinki study of very low-birth-weight adults. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2008;65:290-6 pubmed publisher..Intrauterine growth retardation rather than VLBW per se may pose a risk of depression in young adulthood. ..
- Zheng J, Yang B, Tuomasjukka S, Ou S, Kallio H. Effects of latitude and weather conditions on contents of sugars, fruit acids, and ascorbic acid in black currant (Ribes nigrum L.) juice. J Agric Food Chem. 2009;57:2977-87 pubmed publisher..57-0.75, p<0.01), as well as between citric acid and glucose (Pearson's correlation coefficients = 0.56-0.70, p<0.01) in the three varieties because of the closely related metabolic pathways...
- Karppinen T, Ala Houhala M, Ylianttila L, Kautiainen H, Viljakainen H, Reunala T, et al. Narrowband Ultraviolet B Exposures Maintain Vitamin D Levels During Winter: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Acta Derm Venereol. 2016;96:490-3 pubmed publisher..012) with body mass index (BMI). In conclusion, a suberythemal NB-UVB dose of 2 SED every second week maintains and even increases serum VD concentrations during the winter. A high BMI seems to predispose subjects to low levels of VD. ..
- Ã„ijÃ¤lÃ¤ M, Ronkainen J, Huusko T, Malo E, Savolainen E, Savolainen M, et al. The fat mass and obesity-associated (FTO) gene variant rs9939609 predicts long-term incidence of cardiovascular disease and related death independent of the traditional risk factors. Ann Med. 2015;47:655-63 pubmed publisher..011 (pâ€‰=â€‰0.010). The AA genotype of FTO rs9939609 seems to be associated with a higher risk of CVD, and this phenomenon seems to be independent of the traditional risk factors for atherosclerosis. ..
- Honkasilta J, Vehmas S, Vehkakoski T. Self-pathologizing, self-condemning, self-liberating: Youths' accounts of their ADHD-related behavior. Soc Sci Med. 2016;150:248-55 pubmed publisher..This study challenges dominant understanding of young people with a diagnosis of ADHD and contributes to our understanding of how ADHD is constructed in their lives. ..
- Kunutsor S, Khan H, Laukkanen J. Î³-Glutamyltransferase and Risk of Sudden Cardiac Death in Middle-Aged Finnish Men: A New Prospective Cohort Study. J Am Heart Assoc. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..GGT is positively, log-linearly, and independently associated with future risk of SCD in the general male population. Further research is needed to replicate these findings. ..
- Gonzalez Martinez A, Muñoz Palazon B, Rodriguez Sanchez A, Maza Márquez P, Mikola A, Gonzalez Lopez J, et al. Start-up and operation of an aerobic granular sludge system under low working temperature inoculated with cold-adapted activated sludge from Finland. Bioresour Technol. 2017;239:180-189 pubmed publisher..This experiment showed that aerobic granular sludge systems could be successfully started-up and operated, with high performance, under low operational temperatures when using cold-adapted biomass as inoculum. ..
- Utriainen P, Widstrom E. Economic aspects of dental care in Finnish health centers. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 1990;18:235-8 pubmed..The ratio of chairside assistants to dentists was also shown to have a statistically significant positive correlation with the cost of a dental visit. ..
- Kauppinen R, Mustajoki P. Acute hepatic porphyria and hepatocellular carcinoma. Br J Cancer. 1988;57:117-20 pubmed..In acute hepatic porphyria, as compared with the total population, the calculated risk of hepatocellular carcinoma is increased 61-fold. ..
- Manninen M, Pukander J, Flander M, Laippala P, Huhtala H, Karma P. Treatment of primary tracheal carcinoma in Finland in 1967-1985. Acta Oncol. 1993;32:277-82 pubmed..Complete response to radiotherapy was a favourable prognostic sign; after complete response the survival rates at 1, 2 and 5 years were 45%, 18% and 9% respectively. Patients with adenocystic carcinoma had the best prognosis. ..
- Niinikoski H, Alanen M, Parvinen T, Aantaa R, Ekblad H, Kero P. Surgical closure of patent ductus arteriosus in very-low-birth-weight infants. Pediatr Surg Int. 2001;17:338-41 pubmed..The surgery-related mortality was 3% (3/101) and overall mortality 10% (10/101). We conclude that surgical closure of PDA is safe and effective in VLBW infants. ..