Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on fat body in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: fat body
- Cheon H, Shin S, Bian G, Park J, Raikhel A. Regulation of lipid metabolism genes, lipid carrier protein lipophorin, and its receptor during immune challenge in the mosquito Aedes aegypti. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:8426-35 pubmed..These findings suggest that lipid metabolism is involved in the mosquito systemic immune responses to pathogens and parasites...
- Shiao S, Hansen I, Zhu J, Sieglaff D, Raikhel A. Juvenile hormone connects larval nutrition with target of rapamycin signaling in the mosquito Aedes aegypti. J Insect Physiol. 2008;54:231-9 pubmed..These findings establish a direct link between nutrient reserves and the establishment of TOR signaling in mosquitoes. ..
- Roy S, Hansen I, Raikhel A. Effect of insulin and 20-hydroxyecdysone in the fat body of the yellow fever mosquito, Aedes aegypti. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2007;37:1317-26 pubmed..RNAi-mediated knockdown of the mosquito InR, Akt, and TOR inhibited insulin-induced Vg gene expression as well as S6 Kinase phosphorylation in in vitro fat body culture assays...
- Bai H, Ramaseshadri P, Palli S. Identification and characterization of juvenile hormone esterase gene from the yellow fever mosquito, Aedes aegypti. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2007;37:829-37 pubmed..Proteins isolated from Sf9 cells infected with recombinant baculovirus expressing EAT43357 but not EAT43354 gene exhibited JHE activity confirming that EAT43357 gene codes for a functional JHE enzyme. ..
- Arrese E, Rivera L, Hamada M, Mirza S, Hartson S, Weintraub S, et al. Function and structure of lipid storage droplet protein 1 studied in lipoprotein complexes. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2008;473:42-7 pubmed publisher..7-fold activation of the main fat body lipase demonstrating the direct link between Lsd1 phosphorylation and activation of lipolysis. Serine 20 was identified as the Lsd1-phosphorylation site triggering this effect. ..
- Wilson Rich N, Dres S, Starks P. The ontogeny of immunity: development of innate immune strength in the honey bee (Apis mellifera). J Insect Physiol. 2008;54:1392-9 pubmed publisher..Induced shifts in behavioral roles may increase a colony's susceptibility to disease if nurses begin foraging activity prematurely...
- Kroemer J, Webb B. Divergences in protein activity and cellular localization within the Campoletis sonorensis Ichnovirus Vankyrin family. J Virol. 2006;80:12219-28 pubmed..Insect cells infected with these viruses exhibited enhanced longevity compared to those infected with viruses expressing other vankyrins. Together, these data suggest that vankyrin proteins in CsIV have divergent physiological functions...
- Patel R, Soulages J, Arrese E. Adipokinetic hormone-induced mobilization of fat body triglyceride stores in Manduca sexta: role of TG-lipase and lipid droplets. Arch Insect Biochem Physiol. 2006;63:73-81 pubmed..However, the phosphorylation level of the TG-lipase was unchanged by AKH, indicating that phosphorylation of the TG-lipase plays no role in the activation of lipolysis induced by AKH. ..
- Arrese E, Rivera L, Hamada M, Soulages J. Purification and characterization of recombinant lipid storage protein-2 from Drosophila melanogaster. Protein Pept Lett. 2008;15:1027-32 pubmed..This study provides the starting point for future studies on the mechanism of function of Lsd2. The similarities and differences between Lsd1 and Lsd2, the only PAT proteins found in insects, are discussed. ..
- Chen L, Zhu J, Sun G, Raikhel A. The early gene Broad is involved in the ecdysteroid hierarchy governing vitellogenesis of the mosquito Aedes aegypti. J Mol Endocrinol. 2004;33:743-61 pubmed..These results suggested that BR isoforms are essential for proper activation and termination of the Vg gene in response to 20E. Overall, our study implicated br in the regulation of mosquito vitellogenesis. ..
- Zou Z, Souza Neto J, Xi Z, Kokoza V, Shin S, Dimopoulos G, et al. Transcriptome analysis of Aedes aegypti transgenic mosquitoes with altered immunity. PLoS Pathog. 2011;7:e1002394 pubmed publisher..PIAS gene silencing reduced Plasmodium proliferation in Ae. aegypti, indicating the involvement of the JAK-STAT pathway in anti-Plasmodium defense in this infection model...
- Cruz J, Mané Padrós D, Zou Z, Raikhel A. Distinct roles of isoforms of the heme-liganded nuclear receptor E75, an insect ortholog of the vertebrate Rev-erb, in mosquito reproduction. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2012;349:262-71 pubmed publisher..Disruption of this signaling pathway could be explored in the design of mosquito control approaches...
- Drolia R, Von Ohlen T, Chapes S. Ehrlichia chaffeensis replication sites in adult Drosophila melanogaster. Int J Med Microbiol. 2013;303:40-9 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that in Drosophila, E. chaffeensis replicates within the hemocytes, the insect homolog of mammalian macrophages, and in the fat body, the liver homolog of mammals. ..
- Zou Z, Saha T, Roy S, Shin S, Backman T, Girke T, et al. Juvenile hormone and its receptor, methoprene-tolerant, control the dynamics of mosquito gene expression. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:E2173-81 pubmed publisher..This study represents a significant advancement in the understanding of the regulation of gene expression by JH and its receptor Met during female mosquito reproduction. ..
- Wang J, Saha T, Zhang Y, Zhang C, Raikhel A. Juvenile hormone and its receptor methoprene-tolerant promote ribosomal biogenesis and vitellogenesis in the Aedes aegypti mosquito. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:10306-10315 pubmed publisher..In summary, our results indicate that JH is critical for inducing the expression of ribosomal protein genes and demonstrate that RRS1 mediates the JH signal to enhance both ribosomal biogenesis and vitellogenesis. ..
- Zhang S, Gunaratna R, Zhang X, Najar F, Wang Y, Roe B, et al. Pyrosequencing-based expression profiling and identification of differentially regulated genes from Manduca sexta, a lepidopteran model insect. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2011;41:733-46 pubmed publisher..sexta. In summary, we have successfully established a combined approach for gene discovery and expression profiling in organisms lacking known genome sequences. ..
- Antonova Y, Alvarez K, Kim Y, Kokoza V, Raikhel A. The role of NF-kappaB factor REL2 in the Aedes aegypti immune response. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2009;39:303-14 pubmed publisher..gallinaceum. Moreover, our transgenic assays demonstrate that the N-terminus of the mosquito REL2, which includes the His/Gln-rich and serine-rich regions, plays a role in its transactivation properties...
- Zou Z, Najar F, Wang Y, Roe B, Jiang H. Pyrosequence analysis of expressed sequence tags for Manduca sexta hemolymph proteins involved in immune responses. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2008;38:677-82 pubmed publisher..sexta sequences coding for putative defense molecules such as pattern recognition receptors, serine proteinases, serpins, Spätzle, Toll-like receptors, intracellular signaling molecules, and antimicrobial peptides. ..
- Matakatsu H, Blair S. The DHHC palmitoyltransferase approximated regulates Fat signaling and Dachs localization and activity. Curr Biol. 2008;18:1390-5 pubmed publisher..We show that App encodes a member of the DHHC family, responsible for the palmitoylation of selected cytoplasmic proteins, and provide evidence that App acts by controlling the normal subcellular localization and activity of Dachs. ..
- Roy S, Raikhel A. Nutritional and hormonal regulation of the TOR effector 4E-binding protein (4E-BP) in the mosquito Aedes aegypti. FASEB J. 2012;26:1334-42 pubmed publisher..Silencing of 4E-BP resulted in reduction of the life span of adult female mosquitoes. This study demonstrates a dual nutritional and hormonal control of 4E-BP and its role in mosquito egg development...
- Butterworth F, Bownes M, Burde V. Genetically modified yolk proteins precipitate in the adult Drosophila fat body. J Cell Biol. 1991;112:727-37 pubmed..The similarity of SBMM and deoxyhemoglobin S fibers is discussed. ..
- Geden C, Garcia Maruniak A, Lietze V, Maruniak J, Boucias D. Impact of house fly salivary gland hypertrophy virus (MdSGHV) on a heterologous host, Stomoxys calcitrans. J Med Entomol. 2011;48:1128-35 pubmed..Virus titers were approximately 2 orders of magnitude higher in house fly than in stable fly hosts, and this difference was probably due to the absence of salivary gland hypertrophy in the latter species. ..
- Zhu J, Chen L, Sun G, Raikhel A. The competence factor beta Ftz-F1 potentiates ecdysone receptor activity via recruiting a p160/SRC coactivator. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:9402-12 pubmed..Thus, our results reveal the molecular basis of competence for the stage-specific 20E response...
- Clarke T, Clem R. Lack of involvement of haemocytes in the establishment and spread of infection in Spodoptera frugiperda larvae infected with the baculovirus Autographa californica M nucleopolyhedrovirus by intrahaemocoelic injection. J Gen Virol. 2002;83:1565-72 pubmed..frugiperda, haemocytes do not appear to have a primary role in AcMNPV pathogenesis. This relative lack of infection of haemocytes may in part explain why S. frugiperda larvae are more resistant to AcMNPV infection than T. ni larvae. ..
- Zheng J, Mutcherson R, Helfand S. Calorie restriction delays lipid oxidative damage in Drosophila melanogaster. Aging Cell. 2005;4:209-16 pubmed..These studies associate damage from lipid peroxidation with aging and lifespan in Drosophila and show that calorie restriction in flies, as in mammals, slows the accumulation of lipid related oxidative damage. ..
- Hansen I, Attardo G, Park J, Peng Q, Raikhel A. Target of rapamycin-mediated amino acid signaling in mosquito anautogeny. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:10626-31 pubmed..Thus, amino acid-based TOR signaling regulates the activation of egg development after a blood meal, an adaptation to the unique life style of mosquitoes. ..
- Hansen I, Attardo G, Roy S, Raikhel A. Target of rapamycin-dependent activation of S6 kinase is a central step in the transduction of nutritional signals during egg development in a mosquito. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:20565-72 pubmed..Our data show that TOR-dependent activation of S6 kinase is a central step in the transduction of nutritional information during egg development in mosquitoes. ..
- Britton J, Edgar B. Environmental control of the cell cycle in Drosophila: nutrition activates mitotic and endoreplicative cells by distinct mechanisms. Development. 1998;125:2149-58 pubmed..These results demonstrate a fundamental difference in the control of cell cycle activation and maintenance in these two cell types, and imply the existence of a novel mitogen generated by the larval fat body in response to nutrition. ..
- Davis D, Lee R. Intracellular freezing, viability, and composition of fat body cells from freeze-intolerant larvae of Sarcophaga crassipalpis. Arch Insect Biochem Physiol. 2001;48:199-205 pubmed..Fat body cells from E. solidaginis had a water content of only 35% compared to cells from S. crassipalpis larvae that had 52-55%; cells with less water may be less likely to be damaged by mechanical forces during intracellular freezing. ..
- Shin S, Zou Z, Saha T, Raikhel A. bHLH-PAS heterodimer of methoprene-tolerant and Cycle mediates circadian expression of juvenile hormone-induced mosquito genes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:16576-81 pubmed publisher..This study provides an important insight into the understanding of the molecular basis of JH action...
- Longworth M, Walker J, Anderssen E, Moon N, Gladden A, Heck M, et al. A shared role for RBF1 and dCAP-D3 in the regulation of transcription with consequences for innate immunity. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002618 pubmed publisher..These results describe a novel, non-mitotic role for the RBF1 and dCAP-D3 proteins in activation of the Drosophila immune system and suggest dCAP-D3 has an important role at specific subsets of RBF1-dependent genes. ..
- Zhu J, Chen L, Raikhel A. Posttranscriptional control of the competence factor betaFTZ-F1 by juvenile hormone in the mosquito Aedes aegypti. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:13338-43 pubmed..Thus, betaFTZ-F1 is indeed the factor defining the acquisition of competence to 20E in the mosquito fat body. Moreover, this is achieved through JH III-mediated posttranscriptional control of betaFTZ-F1. ..
- Bartholomay L, Fuchs J, Cheng L, Beck E, Vizioli J, Lowenberger C, et al. Reassessing the role of defensin in the innate immune response of the mosquito, Aedes aegypti. Insect Mol Biol. 2004;13:125-32 pubmed..These studies suggest that defensin may have an alternative function in mosquito immunity. ..
- Patel R, Soulages J, Wells M, Arrese E. cAMP-dependent protein kinase of Manduca sexta phosphorylates but does not activate the fat body triglyceride lipase. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2004;34:1269-79 pubmed..These results suggest that, besides lipase phosphorylation, the mechanism of AKH-induced activation of the lipolysis requires the involvement of other proteins and/or signals. ..
- Kokoza V, Raikhel A. Targeted gene expression in the transgenic Aedes aegypti using the binary Gal4-UAS system. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2011;41:637-44 pubmed publisher..Hence, this study has opened the door for further refinement of genetic tools in mosquitoes. ..
- Bryant B, MacDonald W, Raikhel A. microRNA miR-275 is indispensable for blood digestion and egg development in the mosquito Aedes aegypti. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:22391-8 pubmed publisher..This report has uncovered the critical importance of microRNAs in controlling blood-meal-activated physiological events required for completion of egg development in mosquito disease vectors. ..
- Roy S, Raikhel A. The small GTPase Rheb is a key component linking amino acid signaling and TOR in the nutritional pathway that controls mosquito egg development. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2011;41:62-9 pubmed publisher..Egg development was severely hindered in mosquitoes with a Rheb RNAi depletion background. This study represents a notable step in deciphering molecular pathways controlling reproduction of this important vector of human diseases...
- Vandock K, Drummond C, Smith S, Fioravanti C. Midgut and fatbody mitochondrial transhydrogenase activities during larval-pupal development of the tobacco hornworm, Manduca sexta. J Insect Physiol. 2010;56:774-9 pubmed publisher..Moreover, that the increases in all transhydrogenase activities resulted from de novo enzyme synthesis were indicated by the cycloheximide-dependent reductions in these activities. ..
- Arrese E, Soulages J. Insect fat body: energy, metabolism, and regulation. Annu Rev Entomol. 2010;55:207-25 pubmed publisher..This review focuses on energy storage and release and summarizes current understanding of the mechanisms underlying these processes in insects...
- Cruz J, Sieglaff D, Arensburger P, Atkinson P, Raikhel A. Nuclear receptors in the mosquito Aedes aegypti: annotation, hormonal regulation and expression profiling. FEBS J. 2009;276:1233-54 pubmed publisher..aegypti NRs. These data which describe the identification, expression and hormonal regulation of 20 NRs in the yellow fever mosquito lay a solid foundation for future studies on the hormonal regulation of reproduction in mosquitoes. ..
- Zhou X, Tarver M, Bennett G, Oi F, Scharf M. Two hexamerin genes from the termite Reticulitermes flavipes: Sequence, expression, and proposed functions in caste regulation. Gene. 2006;376:47-58 pubmed..Second, due to their unique structural features and other observed characteristics, our findings support the hypothesis that the two hexamerins participate in the regulation of caste-differentiation by modulating JH availability. ..
- Attardo G, Hansen I, Shiao S, Raikhel A. Identification of two cationic amino acid transporters required for nutritional signaling during mosquito reproduction. J Exp Biol. 2006;209:3071-8 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that active uptake of specific AAs plays a key role in nutritional signaling during the onset of vitellogenic gene expression in mosquitoes and it is mediated by two cationic AA transporters...
- Arrese E, Patel R, Soulages J. The main triglyceride-lipase from the insect fat body is an active phospholipase A(1): identification and characterization. J Lipid Res. 2006;47:2656-67 pubmed..These results suggest that the PL activity of the insect TG-lipase could be required to allow access of the lipase to TG molecules contained in the core of the lipid droplets. ..
- Parthasarathy R, Sun Z, Bai H, Palli S. Juvenile hormone regulation of vitellogenin synthesis in the red flour beetle, Tribolium castaneum. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2010;40:405-14 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that JH is required for Vg synthesis in the fat body and 20E influences Vg synthesis through its action on oocyte maturation. ..
- Mané Padrós D, Cruz J, Cheng A, Raikhel A. A critical role of the nuclear receptor HR3 in regulation of gonadotrophic cycles of the mosquito Aedes aegypti. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e45019 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate an important role of HR3 in regulation of 20E-regulated developmental switches during reproductive cycles of A. aegypti females. ..
- Zhu J, Chen L, Raikhel A. Distinct roles of Broad isoforms in regulation of the 20-hydroxyecdysone effector gene, Vitellogenin, in the mosquito Aedes aegypti. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2007;267:97-105 pubmed..In particular, the isoform Z2 is required for 20E-mediated activation of Vg, while isoforms Z1 and Z4 serve as repressors to ensure appropriate termination of Vg expression. ..