Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on ethanol in United States
Locale: United States
Publications444 found, 100 shown here
- Shukla S, Sun G, Gibson Wood W, Savolainen M, Alling C, Hoek J. Ethanol and lipid metabolic signaling. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2001;25:33S-39S pubmed..Savolainen; (5) Phospholipase-d-mediated formation of phosphatidylethanol, by Christer Alling; and (6) Changes in phosphoinositide signaling after chronic ethanol treatment, by Jan B. Hoek. ..
- Sebastian B, Nagy L. Decreased insulin-dependent glucose transport by chronic ethanol feeding is associated with dysregulation of the Cbl/TC10 pathway in rat adipocytes. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2005;289:E1077-84 pubmed
- Otis J, Guidot D. Procysteine stimulates expression of key anabolic factors and reduces plantaris atrophy in alcohol-fed rats. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2009;33:1450-9 pubmed publisher..Rather, procysteine minimized the extent of plantaris atrophy by inducing components of several anabolic pathways. Therefore, anti-oxidant treatments such as procysteine supplementation may benefit individuals with alcoholic myopathy. ..
- Reisfield G, Goldberger B, Pesce A, Crews B, Wilson G, Teitelbaum S, et al. Ethyl glucuronide, ethyl sulfate, and ethanol in urine after intensive exposure to high ethanol content mouthwash. J Anal Toxicol. 2011;35:264-8 pubmed
- Holmuhamedov E, Czerny C, Beeson C, Lemasters J. Ethanol suppresses ureagenesis in rat hepatocytes: role of acetaldehyde. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:7692-700 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, AcAld, derived from ethanol metabolism, suppresses ureagenesis in hepatocytes mediated by closure of VDAC...
- Kandula M, Moole H, Cashman M, Volmar F, Bechtold M, Puli S. Success of endoscopic ultrasound-guided ethanol ablation of pancreatic cysts: a meta-analysis and systematic review. Indian J Gastroenterol. 2015;34:193-9 pubmed publisher..However, due to the limited data available, prospective randomized controlled trials with a long follow up period are required in this area. ..
- Barkley Levenson A, Ryabinin A, Crabbe J. Neuropeptide Y response to alcohol is altered in nucleus accumbens of mice selectively bred for drinking to intoxication. Behav Brain Res. 2016;302:160-70 pubmed publisher..Thus, the NPY system may represent a potential target for altering binge-like alcohol drinking in these mice. ..
- Lambert J, Zhou Z, Wang L, Song Z, McClain C, Kang Y. Preservation of intestinal structural integrity by zinc is independent of metallothionein in alcohol-intoxicated mice. Am J Pathol. 2004;164:1959-66 pubmed..These results thus demonstrate that zinc preservation of intestinal structural integrity is associated with suppression of endotoxemia and liver injury induced by acute exposure to ethanol and the zinc protection is independent of MT. ..
- Zhang T, Hendricson A, Wilkemeyer M, Lippmann M, Charness M, Morrisett R. Synergistic effects of the peptide fragment D-NAPVSIPQ on ethanol inhibition of synaptic plasticity and NMDA receptors in rat hippocampus. Neuroscience. 2005;134:583-93 pubmed..The findings suggest that D-NAP and 1-octanol selectively interact with NMDA receptors in an ethanol-dependent manner, further implicating the L1 cell adhesion molecule in alcohol-related brain disorders. ..
- Otis J, Brown L, Guidot D. Oxidant-induced atrogin-1 and transforming growth factor-beta1 precede alcohol-related myopathy in rats. Muscle Nerve. 2007;36:842-8 pubmed..Therefore, targeted anti-oxidant treatments such as procysteine supplementation may benefit individuals with chronic alcohol abuse, particularly if given prior to the development of clinically significant myopathy. ..
- Reilly M, Lobo I, McCracken L, Borghese C, Gong D, Horishita T, et al. Effects of acamprosate on neuronal receptors and ion channels expressed in Xenopus oocytes. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2008;32:188-96 pubmed publisher..Thus, the clinical effectiveness of acamprosate in the treatment of alcoholism is not likely due to direct effects on these receptors or ion channels. ..
- Datta S, Turner D, Singh R, Ruest L, Pierce W, Knudsen T. Fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS) in C57BL/6 mice detected through proteomics screening of the amniotic fluid. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2008;82:177-86 pubmed publisher..The present study used this murine model to screen amniotic fluid for biomarkers that could potentially discriminate between FAS-positive and FAS-negative pregnancies...
- Crabbe J, Harkness J, Spence S, Huang L, Metten P. Intermittent availability of ethanol does not always lead to elevated drinking in mice. Alcohol Alcohol. 2012;47:509-17 pubmed publisher..We conclude that 4 h of IA is likely insufficient to elevate drinking in mice. The lack of effect in HDID mice and their controls further suggests that not all genotypes respond to intermittency. ..
- Sharma R, Sahota P, Thakkar M. Lesion of the basal forebrain cholinergic neurons attenuates sleepiness and adenosine after alcohol consumption. J Neurochem. 2017;142:710-720 pubmed publisher..Based on these results, we suggest that alcohol promotes sleep by increasing extracellular adenosine via its action on cholinergic neurons of the BF. Read the Editorial Highlight for this article on page 620. ..
- Kang L, Sebastian B, Pritchard M, Pratt B, Previs S, Nagy L. Chronic ethanol-induced insulin resistance is associated with macrophage infiltration into adipose tissue and altered expression of adipocytokines. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2007;31:1581-8 pubmed..Chronic ethanol-induced insulin resistance was associated with increased macrophage infiltration into adipose tissue, as well as changes in the expression of adipocytokines by adipose tissue. ..
- Xu M, Chandler L, Woodward J. Ethanol inhibition of recombinant NMDA receptors is not altered by coexpression of CaMKII-alpha or CaMKII-beta. Alcohol. 2008;42:425-32 pubmed publisher..The results of this study suggest that CaMKII is not involved in regulating the acute ethanol sensitivity of NMDA receptors. ..
- Cohen J, Roychowdhury S, McMullen M, Stavitsky A, Nagy L. Complement and alcoholic liver disease: role of C1q in the pathogenesis of ethanol-induced liver injury in mice. Gastroenterology. 2010;139:664-74, 674.e1 pubmed publisher..For the first time, these data indicate that ethanol activates the classical complement pathway via C1q binding to apoptotic cells in the liver and that C1q contributes to the pathogenesis of ethanol-induced liver injury. ..
- Brager A, Ruby C, Prosser R, Glass J. Acute ethanol disrupts photic and serotonergic circadian clock phase-resetting in the mouse. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2011;35:1467-74 pubmed publisher..Such actions by ethanol could underlie the disruptive effects of alcohol abuse on behavioral, physiological, and endocrine rhythms associated with alcoholism. ..
- Saha B, Nichols N, Qureshi N, Cotta M. Comparison of separate hydrolysis and fermentation and simultaneous saccharification and fermentation processes for ethanol production from wheat straw by recombinant Escherichia coli strain FBR5. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2011;92:865-74 pubmed publisher..Also, fed-batch SSF performed better than the batch SSF with respect to shortening the time requirement and increase in ethanol yield. ..
- Heinberg L, Ashton K, Coughlin J. Alcohol and bariatric surgery: review and suggested recommendations for assessment and management. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2012;8:357-63 pubmed publisher..Adequate screening, assessment, and preoperative preparation could help mitigate this risk. Future research should examine the efficacy of such risk management strategies. ..
- Rice O, Patrick J, Schonhar C, Ning H, Ashby C. The effects of the preferential dopamine D(3) receptor antagonist S33138 on ethanol binge drinking in C57BL/6J mice. Synapse. 2012;66:975-8 pubmed publisher..p. of S33138 at Days 1, 7, and 7-14. Our studies indicate that a low dose of S33138 significantly decreases binge drinking, and that it does not significantly alter the consumption of water. In addition, S33138 alone is not appetitive. ..
- Ni H, Du K, You M, Ding W. Critical role of FoxO3a in alcohol-induced autophagy and hepatotoxicity. Am J Pathol. 2013;183:1815-1825 pubmed publisher..FoxO3a thus plays a critical role in ethanol-induced autophagy in mouse liver. Modulating the FoxO3a autophagy pathway may offer novel therapeutic approaches for treating alcoholic liver pathogenesis. ..
- Barr T, Girke T, Sureshchandra S, Nguyen C, Grant K, Messaoudi I. Alcohol Consumption Modulates Host Defense in Rhesus Macaques by Altering Gene Expression in Circulating Leukocytes. J Immunol. 2016;196:182-95 pubmed publisher..Chronic heavy ethanol consumption altered the levels of several microRNAs involved in cancer and immunity and known to regulate the expression of mRNAs differentially expressed in our data set. ..
- Kiss Z, Garamszegi N. Overexpression of protein kinase C-epsilon enhances the stimulatory effect of ethanol on phospholipase C-mediated hydrolysis of phosphatidylethanolamine in NIH 3T3 fibroblasts. FEBS Lett. 1993;333:229-32 pubmed..Results suggest that PKC-epsilon is a potential positive regulator of the PtdEtn-hydrolyzing PLC activity, and that the functional interaction between PKC-epsilon and PLC is facilitated by ethanol. ..
- Bird M, Zahs A, Deburghgraeve C, Ramirez L, Choudhry M, Kovacs E. Decreased pulmonary inflammation following ethanol and burn injury in mice deficient in TLR4 but not TLR2 signaling. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2010;34:1733-41 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that TLR4 signaling is a crucial contributory component in the exuberant inflammation after ethanol and burn injury. However, TLR2 does not appear to play a vital role in the aberrant pulmonary inflammation. ..
- Sirohi S, Aldrich J, Walker B. Species differences in the effects of the ?-opioid receptor antagonist zyklophin. Alcohol. 2016;51:43-9 pubmed publisher..These results identify species differences in zyklophin efficacy that, given the rising interest in the development of short-duration KOR antagonists, should provide valuable information for therapeutic development efforts. ..
- Okot Kotber M, Liavoga A, Yong K, Bagorogoza K. Activation of polyphenol oxidase in extracts of bran from several wheat (Triticum aestivum) cultivars using organic solvents, detergents, and chaotropes. J Agric Food Chem. 2002;50:2410-7 pubmed..It is hypothesized that in wheat PPO exists in an inactive form which may be activated by the presence of activators, hitherto unknown, similar in effect to that elicited by the chemical denaturants in this study...
- Finn D, Ford M, Wiren K, Roselli C, Crabbe J. The role of pregnane neurosteroids in ethanol withdrawal: behavioral genetic approaches. Pharmacol Ther. 2004;101:91-112 pubmed
- Jones M, Padilla O, Webb N, Norng M. The anti-apoptosis protein, survivin, mediates gastric epithelial cell cytoprotection against ethanol-induced injury via activation of the p34(cdc2) cyclin-dependent kinase. J Cell Physiol. 2008;215:750-64 pubmed publisher..01). These results indicate that survivin is a key mediator of cytoprotection against ETOH-induced gastric injury, acting at the epithelial cell level, by a mechanism that is dependent, in part, on p34(cdc2). ..
- HICKS S, Middleton F, Miller M. Ethanol-induced methylation of cell cycle genes in neural stem cells. J Neurochem. 2010;114:1767-80 pubmed publisher..Thus, ethanol disrupts growth factor-related cell cycle progression by inducing checkpoint restriction at the G1/S transition through a feed-forward system involving the methylation of G2/M regulators. ..
- Hengen K, Gomez T, Stang K, Johnson S, Behan M. Changes in ventral respiratory column GABAaR ?- and ?-subunits during hibernation mediate resistance to depression by EtOH and pentobarbital. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2011;300:R272-83 pubmed publisher..Synaptic input from adjacent inhibitory interneurons that express ?-subunit-containing GABA(A)Rs is responsible for the excitatory effects of EtOH on VRC neurons during hibernation. ..
- Chen M, Bird M, Zahs A, Deburghgraeve C, Posnik B, Davis C, et al. Pulmonary inflammation after ethanol exposure and burn injury is attenuated in the absence of IL-6. Alcohol. 2013;47:223-9 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data suggest a causal relationship between IL-6 and the excessive pulmonary inflammation observed after the combined insult of ethanol and burn injury. ..
- Hughes S, Bang S, Cox E, Schoepke A, Ochwat K, Pinkelman R, et al. Automated UV-C mutagenesis of Kluyveromyces marxianus NRRL Y-1109 and selection for microaerophilic growth and ethanol production at elevated temperature on biomass sugars. J Lab Autom. 2013;18:276-90 pubmed publisher..48 and 0.34 g ethanol/g galacturonic acid, respectively). These mutant strains have potential application in fuel ethanol production at elevated temperature from sugar constituents of starch, sucrose, pectin, and cellulosic biomass. ..
- Cao G, Ximenes E, Nichols N, Zhang L, Ladisch M. Biological abatement of cellulase inhibitors. Bioresour Technol. 2013;146:604-610 pubmed publisher..Bio-abatement yielded improved enzyme hydrolysis in the same range as that obtained using a chemical (overliming) method for mitigating inhibitors. ..
- Devarapalli M, Atiyeh H, Phillips J, Lewis R, Huhnke R. Ethanol production during semi-continuous syngas fermentation in a trickle bed reactor using Clostridium ragsdalei. Bioresour Technol. 2016;209:56-65 pubmed publisher..At 1662h, the final ethanol and acetic acid concentrations were 5.7 and 12.3g/L, respectively, at 200ml/min of liquid flow rate and 4.6sccm gas flow rate. ..
- Gaddini G, Turner R, Grant K, Iwaniec U. Alcohol: A Simple Nutrient with Complex Actions on Bone in the Adult Skeleton. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2016;40:657-71 pubmed publisher..In addition, studies performed in skeletally mature animals have potential to reveal mechanistic insights into the precise actions of alcohol and associated comorbidity factors on bone remodeling. ..
- Borghese C, Storustovu S, Ebert B, Herd M, Belelli D, Lambert J, et al. The delta subunit of gamma-aminobutyric acid type A receptors does not confer sensitivity to low concentrations of ethanol. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2006;316:1360-8 pubmed..This suggests that as yet unidentified factors may play a critical role in the ethanol effects on delta-containing GABA(A)Rs. ..
- Weitemier A, Ryabinin A. Urocortin 1 in the dorsal raphe regulates food and fluid consumption, but not ethanol preference in C57BL/6J mice. Neuroscience. 2006;137:1439-45 pubmed..In addition, it is suggested that endogenous urocortin 1 in this area, such as from the Edinger-Westphal nucleus, does not regulate ethanol preference in C57BL/6J mice. ..
- Carden W, Alexander G, Friedman D, Daunais J, Grant K, Mu J, et al. Chronic ethanol drinking reduces native T-type calcium current in the thalamus of nonhuman primates. Brain Res. 2006;1089:92-100 pubmed
- Bhave S, Hoffman P, Lassen N, Vasiliou V, Saba L, Deitrich R, et al. Gene array profiles of alcohol and aldehyde metabolizing enzymes in brains of C57BL/6 and DBA/2 mice. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2006;30:1659-69 pubmed..The expression differences that were validated may affect alcohol/aldehyde metabolism in brain and/or alcohol preference in the 2 strains of mice. ..
- Black E, Wei J, Atluri S, Cortezzo D, Koziol Dube K, Hoover D, et al. Analysis of factors influencing the rate of germination of spores of Bacillus subtilis by very high pressure. J Appl Microbiol. 2007;102:65-76 pubmed..To elucidate the factors that determine the rate of germination of Bacillus subtilis spores with very high pressure (VHP) and the mechanism of VHP germination...
- Polisetty P, Gatzke E, Voit E. Yield optimization of regulated metabolic systems using deterministic branch-and-reduce methods. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2008;99:1154-69 pubmed..It is shown that efficient MINLP algorithms, based on convexification, branch-and-reduce methods, and binary variable selection, are essential for solving these difficult optimization problems. ..
- Yang S, Tschaplinski T, Engle N, Carroll S, Martin S, Davison B, et al. Transcriptomic and metabolomic profiling of Zymomonas mobilis during aerobic and anaerobic fermentations. BMC Genomics. 2009;10:34 pubmed publisher..Z. mobilis performs best under anaerobic conditions, but is an aerotolerant organism. However, the genetic and physiological basis of ZM4's response to various stresses is understood poorly...
- Livingston J, Testa M, Hoffman J, Windle M. Can parents prevent heavy episodic drinking by allowing teens to drink at home?. Addict Behav. 2010;35:1105-12 pubmed publisher..Path analysis revealed that the relationship between alcohol permissiveness and college HED was mediated via perceptions of parental alcohol approval. ..
- Subramanian V, Subramanya S, Said H. Chronic alcohol exposure negatively impacts the physiological and molecular parameters of the renal biotin reabsorption process. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2011;300:F611-7 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate for the first time that chronic ethanol feeding inhibits renal biotin transport and that this effect is, at least in part, being exerted at the transcriptional level. ..
- Kundiyana D, Wilkins M, Maddipati P, Huhnke R. Effect of temperature, pH and buffer presence on ethanol production from synthesis gas by "Clostridium ragsdalei". Bioresour Technol. 2011;102:5794-9 pubmed publisher..Temperature above 40°C and pH below 5.0 were outside the optimal range for growth and metabolism of the bacteria. ..
- Weimer P, Stevenson D. Isolation, characterization, and quantification of Clostridium kluyveri from the bovine rumen. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2012;94:461-6 pubmed publisher..The ability of unadapted cultures to produce substantial levels (12.8 g?L(-1)) of caproic (hexanoic) acid in vitro suggests that this strain may have potential for industrial production of caproic acid...
- Chen G, Ke Z, Xu M, Liao M, Wang X, Qi Y, et al. Autophagy is a protective response to ethanol neurotoxicity. Autophagy. 2012;8:1577-89 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the results suggest that autophagy activation is a neuroprotective response to alleviate ethanol toxicity. Ethanol modulation of autophagic activity may be mediated by the MTOR pathway. ..
- Alkan Ozkaynak A, Karthikeyan K. Phosphorus flow and characterization in dry-grind corn ethanol plants. J Environ Qual. 2012;41:1695-701 pubmed publisher..Our results would help track P movement during various dry-grind processing steps and formulate strategies for phytase enzyme supplementation to various postfermentation coproducts from corn-ethanol plants. ..
- Kirpich I, Zhang J, Gobejishvili L, Kharebava G, Barker D, Ghare S, et al. Binge ethanol-induced HDAC3 down-regulates Cpt1α expression leading to hepatic steatosis and injury. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2013;37:1920-9 pubmed publisher..These findings provide insights into potential epigenetic mechanisms underlying transcriptional regulation of Cpt1α in the hepatic steatosis occurring in response to binge EtOH administration. ..
- Kirpich I, Petrosino J, Ajami N, Feng W, Wang Y, Liu Y, et al. Saturated and Unsaturated Dietary Fats Differentially Modulate Ethanol-Induced Changes in Gut Microbiome and Metabolome in a Mouse Model of Alcoholic Liver Disease. Am J Pathol. 2016;186:765-76 pubmed publisher..Dietary lipids can potentially serve as inexpensive interventions for the prevention and treatment of ALD. ..
- Wood B, Ingram L. Ethanol production from cellobiose, amorphous cellulose, and crystalline cellulose by recombinant Klebsiella oxytoca containing chromosomally integrated Zymomonas mobilis genes for ethanol production and plasmids expressing thermostable cellulase gen. Appl Environ Microbiol. 1992;58:2103-10 pubmed..Since endoglucanase D functions as part of a complex in C. thermocellum, it is possible that this enzyme may complex with fungal enzymes or bind cellulose to produce a more open structure for hydrolysis...
- Risinger F, Bormann N, Oakes R. Reduced sensitivity to ethanol reward, but not ethanol aversion, in mice lacking 5-HT1B receptors. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 1996;20:1401-5 pubmed
- Stribinskis V, Gao G, Sulo P, Ellis S, Martin N. Rpm2p: separate domains promote tRNA and Rpm1r maturation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae mitochondria. Nucleic Acids Res. 2001;29:3631-7 pubmed..Finally, we demonstrate that full activity can be restored if the N-terminal and C-terminal domains of Rpm2p are supplied in trans. ..
- Smothers C, Woodward J. Effect of the NR3 subunit on ethanol inhibition of recombinant NMDA receptors. Brain Res. 2003;987:117-21 pubmed..Overall, these results suggest that the NR3A subunit is not a determinant of ethanol sensitivity in recombinant NMDA receptors. ..
- Goral J, Choudhry M, Kovacs E. Acute ethanol exposure inhibits macrophage IL-6 production: role of p38 and ERK1/2 MAPK. J Leukoc Biol. 2004;75:553-9 pubmed..These results demonstrate that acute ethanol exposure can impair macrophage IL-6 production and indicate that this effect may result from ethanol-induced alterations in intracellular signaling through p38 and ERK1/2. ..
- Bothun G, Knutson B, Berberich J, Strobel H, Nokes S. Metabolic selectivity and growth of Clostridium thermocellum in continuous culture under elevated hydrostatic pressure. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2004;65:149-57 pubmed
- Schwartz J, Soderholm K. Effects of filler size, water, and alcohol on hardness and laboratory wear of dental composites. Acta Odontol Scand. 2004;62:102-6 pubmed..The hardness value of the coarsest composite decreased more than the finest composite during storage in water or 25% ethanol water. The hardness decrease was most pronounced in the alcohol solution. ..
- Guizzetti M, Thompson B, Kim Y, VanDeMark K, Costa L. Role of phospholipase D signaling in ethanol-induced inhibition of carbachol-stimulated DNA synthesis of 1321N1 astrocytoma cells. J Neurochem. 2004;90:646-53 pubmed..Moreover, the effect of ethanol on carbachol-induced proliferation appears to be mediated, at least in part, by its ability to interact with PLD leading to a decreased synthesis of PA. ..
- Ye J, Zhang J, Xiao C, Kong J. Patch-clamp studies in the CNS illustrate a simple new method for obtaining viable neurons in rat brain slices: glycerol replacement of NaCl protects CNS neurons. J Neurosci Methods. 2006;158:251-9 pubmed..Due to the increase in the number of viable neurons, the new ACSF increases the productivity of experiments. Based on our data, we propose that this glycerol-based solution may protect CNS neurons. ..
- de Medeiros F, Mohan R, Suto C, Sinha S, Bonilha V, Chaurasia S, et al. Haze development after photorefractive keratectomy: mechanical vs ethanol epithelial removal in rabbits. J Refract Surg. 2008;24:923-7 pubmed..0001for all comparisons). No difference was noted in clinical haze or myofibroblast generation between corneas that had PRK with mechanical or ethanol epithelial debridement. ..
- Helfer J, Goodlett C, Greenough W, Klintsova A. The effects of exercise on adolescent hippocampal neurogenesis in a rat model of binge alcohol exposure during the brain growth spurt. Brain Res. 2009;1294:1-11 pubmed publisher..However, benefits requiring long-lasting survival of the newly generated cells will depend on identifying ways to promote survival. ..
- Griepentrog G, Park D, Zaldivar R, Pulido J, Cameron J, Woog J. A rabbit model of lower eyelid fibrosis. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2010;26:229-32 pubmed publisher..Ethanol alcohol induces eyelid fibrosis and lower eyelid shortening. This may be a useful model in the future testing of novel surgical or pharmacologic treatments. ..
- Xu M, Bower K, Wang S, Frank J, Chen G, Ding M, et al. Cyanidin-3-glucoside inhibits ethanol-induced invasion of breast cancer cells overexpressing ErbB2. Mol Cancer. 2010;9:285 pubmed publisher..C3G blocks ethanol-induced activation of the ErbB2/cSrc/FAK pathway which is necessary for cell migration/invasion. C3G may be beneficial in preventing/reducing ethanol-induced breast cancer metastasis. ..
- Garic A, Flentke G, Amberger E, Hernandez M, Smith S. CaMKII activation is a novel effector of alcohol's neurotoxicity in neural crest stem/progenitor cells. J Neurochem. 2011;118:646-57 pubmed publisher..Because neural crest differentiates into several neuronal lineages, our findings offer novel insights into how ethanol disrupts early neurogenesis. ..
- Choi H, Wolford Clevenger C, Brem M, Elmquist J, Stuart G, Pasch K, et al. The temporal association between energy drink and alcohol use among adolescents: A short communication. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2016;158:164-6 pubmed publisher..This relation remained while controlling for race, age, gender, previous alcohol use, and impulsivity. Alcohol use prevention efforts should consider energy drink use as risk factors for adolescent alcohol use. ..
- Shin H, Jain M, Chartrain M, Zeikus J. Evaluation of an electrochemical bioreactor system in the biotransformation of 6-bromo-2-tetralone to 6-bromo-2-tetralol. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2001;57:506-10 pubmed..6 g of dry cell weight/l, substrate at 4 g/l and electric potential at -6 V. The conversion of Br-beta-tetralone to Br-beta-tetralol with partially purified Br-beta-tetralone reductase was slow in the presence of electric potential. ..
- Blomqvist O, Hernandez Avila C, Van Kirk J, Rose J, Kranzler H. Mecamylamine modifies the pharmacokinetics and reinforcing effects of alcohol. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2002;26:326-31 pubmed..Mecamylamine seems to modify both the pharmacokinetic profile of alcohol and the rewarding effects of alcohol in healthy volunteers. ..
- Fehr C, Shirley R, Belknap J, Crabbe J, Buck K. Congenic mapping of alcohol and pentobarbital withdrawal liability loci to a <1 centimorgan interval of murine chromosome 4: identification of Mpdz as a candidate gene. J Neurosci. 2002;22:3730-8 pubmed..These analyses, and evidence using interval-specific congenic lines, show that alcohol withdrawal severity is genetically correlated with MPDZ status, indicating that MPDZ variants may influence alcohol withdrawal liability. ..
- Bachtell R, Tsivkovskaia N, Ryabinin A. Alcohol-induced c-Fos expression in the Edinger-Westphal nucleus: pharmacological and signal transduction mechanisms. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2002;302:516-24 pubmed
- Miller M, Jacobs J, Yokoyama R. Neg, a nerve growth factor-stimulated gene expressed by fetal neocortical neurons that is downregulated by ethanol. J Comp Neurol. 2003;460:212-22 pubmed..Ribonuclease protection assay and in situ hybridization verified NGF upregulation and ethanol antagonism. Thus, ethanol specifically alters the expression of a gene that appears to be involved in NGF-mediated neuroprotection. ..
- Kumari M, Anji A, Woods H, Ticku M. The molecular effects of alcohol: clues to the enigmatic action of alcohol. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2003;993:82-94; discussion 123-4 pubmed..However, inhibition of protein synthesis by cycloheximide abolished the mRNA stabilizing effect of ethanol on NR1 mRNA, thus suggesting de novo protein synthesis is crucial for the action of ethanol on NR1 mRNA stabilization. ..
- Siriwatwechakul W, Lafleur T, Prud homme R, Sullivan P. Effects of organic solvents on the scission energy of rodlike micelles. Langmuir. 2004;20:8970-4 pubmed
- Kolb J, Trettel J, Levine E. BDNF enhancement of postsynaptic NMDA receptors is blocked by ethanol. Synapse. 2005;55:52-7 pubmed..These results provide a potential mechanism for the proposed role for BDNF in activity-dependent synaptic plasticity and, potentially, learning and memory processes. ..
- Zhao R, Bean S, Ioerger B, Wang D, Boyle D. Impact of mashing on sorghum proteins and its relationship to ethanol fermentation. J Agric Food Chem. 2008;56:946-53 pubmed publisher..The web-like protein matrix was found to hold not only starch granules but also some oligosaccharides or polysaccharides inside. The formation of web-like microstructures because of cross-linking reduced conversion efficiency. ..
- von Montfort C, Beier J, Guo L, Kaiser J, Arteel G. Contribution of the sympathetic hormone epinephrine to the sensitizing effect of ethanol on LPS-induced liver damage in mice. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2008;294:G1227-34 pubmed publisher..These results also suggest that sympathetic tone may contribute to the initiation and progression of alcoholic liver disease. ..
- Helfer J, Calizo L, Dong W, Goodlett C, Greenough W, Klintsova A. Binge-like postnatal alcohol exposure triggers cortical gliogenesis in adolescent rats. J Comp Neurol. 2009;514:259-71 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that neonatal alcohol exposure triggers an increase in gliogenesis in the adult motor cortex. ..
- Adler P, Sanderson M, Weimer P, Vogel K. Plant species composition and biofuel yields of conservation grasslands. Ecol Appl. 2009;19:2202-9 pubmed..Designing systems to include a large proportion of species with undesirable fermentation characteristics could reduce ethanol yields. ..
- Liu K. Chemical composition of distillers grains, a review. J Agric Food Chem. 2011;59:1508-26 pubmed publisher..It is hoped that information provided in this review will improve the understanding of the dry-grind process and aid in the development of strategies to control the compositional variation in DDGS. ..
- Blednov Y, Ponomarev I, Geil C, Bergeson S, Koob G, Harris R. Neuroimmune regulation of alcohol consumption: behavioral validation of genes obtained from genomic studies. Addict Biol. 2012;17:108-20 pubmed publisher..Specifically, they suggest a novel role for neuroimmune signaling in regulation of alcohol consumption. ..
- Sebastian B, Roychowdhury S, Tang H, Hillian A, Feldstein A, Stahl G, et al. Identification of a cytochrome P4502E1/Bid/C1q-dependent axis mediating inflammation in adipose tissue after chronic ethanol feeding to mice. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:35989-97 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data identify a novel mechanism for the development of adipose tissue inflammation that likely contributes to the pathophysiological effects of ethanol. ..
- Shao X, Raman B, Zhu M, Mielenz J, Brown S, Guss A, et al. Mutant selection and phenotypic and genetic characterization of ethanol-tolerant strains of Clostridium thermocellum. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2011;92:641-52 pubmed publisher..The potential role of these mutations in ethanol tolerance phenotype is discussed...
- Karavitis J, Murdoch E, Deburghgraeve C, Ramirez L, Kovacs E. Ethanol suppresses phagosomal adhesion maturation, Rac activation, and subsequent actin polymerization during Fc?R-mediated phagocytosis. Cell Immunol. 2012;274:61-71 pubmed publisher..This work is the first to show evidence of the cellular mechanisms involved in the ethanol-induced suppression of Fc?R-mediated phagocytosis. ..
- Barker J, Corbit L, Robinson D, Gremel C, Gonzales R, Chandler L. Corticostriatal circuitry and habitual ethanol seeking. Alcohol. 2015;49:817-24 pubmed publisher..Here, we will highlight recent research identifying corticostriatal structures that regulate the expression of habitual alcohol seeking and a comparison will be made when possible to findings for non-drug rewards. ..