Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on escherichia coli proteins in Japan
Topic: escherichia coli proteins
Publications248 found, 100 shown here
- Tomomori C, Tanaka T, Dutta R, Park H, Saha S, Zhu Y, et al. Solution structure of the homodimeric core domain of Escherichia coli histidine kinase EnvZ. Nat Struct Biol. 1999;6:729-34 pubmed publisher..The structure comprises a four-helix bundle formed by two identical helix-turn-helix subunits, revealing the molecular assembly of two active sites within the dimeric kinase...
- Yanagihara S, Iyoda S, Ohnishi K, Iino T, Kutsukake K. Structure and transcriptional control of the flagellar master operon of Salmonella typhimurium. Genes Genet Syst. 1999;74:105-11 pubmed..The CRP-repressible transcription start site is located within this putative cAMP-CRP binding site. These two start sites were confirmed by in vitro transcription experiments using sigma 70-RNA polymerase with or without cAMP-CRP. ..
- Sone H, Li Y, Ishizuka M, Aoki Y, Nagao M. Increased mutant frequency and altered mutation spectrum of the lacI transgene in Wilson disease rats with hepatitis. Cancer Res. 2000;60:5080-6 pubmed..These findings suggest that the increase in mutant frequencies and/or the specific type of mutation according to copper accumulation play a crucial role in hepatocarcinogenesis in LEC rats...
- Ishii Y, Amano F. Regulation of SulA cleavage by Lon protease by the C-terminal amino acid of SulA, histidine. Biochem J. 2001;358:473-80 pubmed..These results suggest that the histidine residue at the extreme C-terminus of SulA is recognized specifically by Lon, leading to a high-affinity interaction between SulA and Lon...
- Hirakawa H, Inazumi Y, Masaki T, Hirata T, Yamaguchi A. Indole induces the expression of multidrug exporter genes in Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 2005;55:1113-26 pubmed..BaeR and CpxR directly bound to different sequences of the acrD and mdtA promoter regions. These observations indicate that BaeR is a primary regulator, and CpxR enhances the effect of BaeR. ..
- Kato Y, Sugiura M, Mizuno T, Aiba H. Effect of the arcA mutation on the expression of flagella genes in Escherichia coli. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2007;71:77-83 pubmed..This suggests that there must be regulatory factors other than ArcB interacting with ArcA to control flagella genes. ..
- Yamana Y, Sonezaki S, Ogawa H, Kusano K. Mismatch-induced lethality due to a defect in Escherichia coli RecQ helicase in exonuclease-deficient background: Dependence on MutS and UvrD functions. Plasmid. 2010;63:119-27 pubmed publisher..We discuss about the possible interplay between E. coli RecQ helicase and mismatch recognition factors. ..
- Zhang Y, Matsuzaka T, Yano H, Furuta Y, Nakano T, Ishikawa K, et al. Restriction glycosylases: involvement of endonuclease activities in the restriction process. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:1392-1403 pubmed publisher..These results support generalization of the concept of restriction–modification system to the concept of self-recognizing epigenetic system, which combines any epigenetic labeling and any DNA damaging. ..
- Kashiwagi K, Watanabe R, Igarashi K. Involvement of ribonuclease III in the enhancement of expression of the speF-potE operon encoding inducible ornithine decarboxylase and polyamine transport protein. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1994;200:591-7 pubmed..This is the first example that RNase III increases the translational efficiency of mRNA derived from Escherichia coli gene by cutting the 5'-untranslated region of mRNA. ..
- Hara H, Narita S, Karibian D, Park J, Yamamoto Y, Nishimura Y. Identification and characterization of the Escherichia coli envC gene encoding a periplasmic coiled-coil protein with putative peptidase activity. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2002;212:229-36 pubmed..Disruption of the chromosomal envC caused the same defects as the envC point mutation, indicating the gene is dispensable for growth but important for normal septation/separation and cell envelope integrity...
- Yamanaka K, Ogura T, Niki H, Hiraga S. Identification and characterization of the smbA gene, a suppressor of the mukB null mutant of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:7517-26 pubmed..The smbA mutants are sensitive to a detergent, sodium dodecyl sulfate, and they show a novel morphological phenotype under nonpermissive conditions, suggesting a defect in specific membrane sites. ..
- Kitagawa M, Wada C, Yoshioka S, Yura T. Expression of ClpB, an analog of the ATP-dependent protease regulatory subunit in Escherichia coli, is controlled by a heat shock sigma factor (sigma 32). J Bacteriol. 1991;173:4247-53 pubmed..coli. ..
- Ide H, Tedzuka K, Shimzu H, Kimura Y, Purmal A, Wallace S, et al. Alpha-deoxyadenosine, a major anoxic radiolysis product of adenine in DNA, is a substrate for Escherichia coli endonuclease IV. Biochemistry. 1994;33:7842-7 pubmed..The ability of endonuclease IV to recognize alpha-deoxyadenosine suggests that endonuclease IV is able to recognize a new class of DNA base lesions that is not recognized by other DNA N-glycosylases and AP endonucleases. ..
- Tao K, Zou C, Fujita N, Ishihama A. Mapping of the OxyR protein contact site in the C-terminal region of RNA polymerase alpha subunit. J Bacteriol. 1995;177:6740-4 pubmed..These results suggest that these two regions comprise the contact surfaces on the alpha subunit for OxyR. ..
- Jeong S, Yoshikawa H, Takahashi H. Isolation and characterization of the secE homologue gene of Bacillus subtilis. Mol Microbiol. 1993;10:133-42 pubmed..subtilis. The B. subtilis secE has only one transmembrane sequence compared to the three in E. coli. ..
- Kusano K, Takahashi N, Yoshikura H, Kobayashi I. Involvement of RecE exonuclease and RecT annealing protein in DNA double-strand break repair by homologous recombination. Gene. 1994;138:17-25 pubmed..From these observations, we conclude that both ExoVIII and RecT are essential for ds gap repair. We discuss their possible roles in the ds break repair reaction. ..
- Uchida K, Mori H, Mizushima S. Stepwise movement of preproteins in the process of translocation across the cytoplasmic membrane of Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:30862-8 pubmed..These results can be best interpreted as that the translocation of preproteins through the secretory machinery takes place in every 30 amino acid residues and that SecA is responsible for the stepwise movement. ..
- Shimizu H, Nishiyama K, Tokuda H. Expression of gpsA encoding biosynthetic sn-glycerol 3-phosphate dehydrogenase suppresses both the LB- phenotype of a secB null mutant and the cold-sensitive phenotype of a secG null mutant. Mol Microbiol. 1997;26:1013-21 pubmed..not on minimal medium. These results indicate that the SecB function is dispensable even in rich medium, and further demonstrate that overexpression of enzymes involved in phospholipid synthesis partly compensates for the SecG function. ..
- Okumura H, Nishiyama S, Sasaki A, Homma M, Kawagishi I. Chemotactic adaptation is altered by changes in the carboxy-terminal sequence conserved among the major methyl-accepting chemoreceptors. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:1862-8 pubmed..These results suggest that the pentapeptide sequence facilitates effective adaptation and methylation by recruiting CheR. ..
- Akiyama Y, Ehrmann M, Kihara A, Ito K. Polypeptide binding of Escherichia coli FtsH (HflB). Mol Microbiol. 1998;28:803-12 pubmed..Thus, denatured PhoA binding of FtsH may also occur in vivo...
- Ogura T, Inoue K, Tatsuta T, Suzaki T, Karata K, Young K, et al. Balanced biosynthesis of major membrane components through regulated degradation of the committed enzyme of lipid A biosynthesis by the AAA protease FtsH (HflB) in Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 1999;31:833-44 pubmed..The biosynthesis of phospholipids and the lipid A moiety of lipopolysaccharide, both of which derive their fatty acyl chains from the same R-3-hydroxyacyl-ACP pool, is regulated by FtsH. ..
- Noguchi N, Hase M, Kitta M, Sasatsu M, Deguchi K, Kono M. Antiseptic susceptibility and distribution of antiseptic-resistance genes in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1999;172:247-53 pubmed..Our results indicated that four or more antiseptic-resistance genes exist in methicillin-resistant S. aureus and that antiseptic-resistant methicillin-resistant S. aureus strains without qacA and smr are widely spread in Japan...
- Garbe T, Kobayashi M, Yukawa H. Indole-inducible proteins in bacteria suggest membrane and oxidant toxicity. Arch Microbiol. 2000;173:78-82 pubmed..A direct indication of membrane derangement in E. coli may be the indole-inducible overproduction of spheroplast protein y (Spy)...
- Ishii Y, Yamada H, Yamashino T, Ohashi K, Katoh E, Shindo H, et al. Deletion of the yhhP gene results in filamentous cell morphology in Escherichia coli. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2000;64:799-807 pubmed..These results are discussed with regard to the presumed function of this ubiquitous protein. ..
- Murakami S, Tamura N, Saito A, Hirata T, Yamaguchi A. Extramembrane central pore of multidrug exporter AcrB in Escherichia coli plays an important role in drug transport. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:3743-8 pubmed
- Takahashi A, Kanamaru S, Kurazono H, Kunishima Y, Tsukamoto T, Ogawa O, et al. Escherichia coli isolates associated with uncomplicated and complicated cystitis and asymptomatic bacteriuria possess similar phylogenies, virulence genes, and O-serogroup profiles. J Clin Microbiol. 2006;44:4589-92 pubmed..The prevalences of 14 out of 18 virulence factor genes were similar among the three categories, while pap, iha, ompT, and PAI were more frequently seen in isolates associated with UC than CC or CASB...
- Ueda T, Takahashi H, Uyar E, Ishikawa S, Ogasawara N, Oshima T. Functions of the Hha and YdgT proteins in transcriptional silencing by the nucleoid proteins, H-NS and StpA, in Escherichia coli. DNA Res. 2013;20:263-71 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the distribution of H-NS binding around Hha/YdgT-dependent and -independent genes suggests that Hha/YdgT proteins modulate formation of the H-NS/StpA-DNA complex. ..
- Hiraga S. Chromosome and plasmid partition in Escherichia coli. Annu Rev Biochem. 1992;61:283-306 pubmed
- Inamoto S, Yoshioka Y, Ohtsubo E. Site- and strand-specific nicking in vitro at oriT by the traY-traI endonuclease of plasmid R100. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:10086-92 pubmed..The nick was introduced in the strand, which is supposed to be transferred to recipient cells during conjugation, and was located at the site 59 base pairs upstream of the TraY protein binding site, sbyA. ..
- Iino Y, Sugimoto A, Yamamoto M. S. pombe pac1+, whose overexpression inhibits sexual development, encodes a ribonuclease III-like RNase. EMBO J. 1991;10:221-6 pubmed..The pac1 gene product probably inhibits mating and meiosis by degrading a specific mRNA(s) required for sexual development. It is likely that mRNA processing is involved in the regulation of sexual development in fission yeast. ..
- Yamato I, Anraku Y. Site-specific alteration of cysteine 281, cysteine 344, and cysteine 349 in the proline carrier of Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1988;263:16055-7 pubmed..These results indicate that these cysteine residues are not essential for proline transport and that Cys-281 and Cys-344 may be close to the substrate-binding site that contains an N-ethylmaleimide-sensitive residue. ..
- Akiyama Y, Yoshihisa T, Ito K. FtsH, a membrane-bound ATPase, forms a complex in the cytoplasmic membrane of Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:23485-90 pubmed..We suggest that the N-terminal transmembrane region of FtsH mediates directly the interaction between the FtsH subunits. ..
- Kihara A, Akiyama Y, Ito K. FtsH is required for proteolytic elimination of uncomplexed forms of SecY, an essential protein translocase subunit. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:4532-6 pubmed..The primary role of FtsH is discussed in light of the quite pleiotropic mutational effects, which now include stabilization of uncomplexed SecY. ..
- Tomoyasu T, Yamanaka K, Murata K, Suzaki T, Bouloc P, Kato A, et al. Topology and subcellular localization of FtsH protein in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:1352-7 pubmed..The average number of FtsH molecules per cell was estimated to be approximately 400. ..
- Masuda Y, Tsuchimoto S, Nishimura A, Ohtsubo E. Isolation of temperature-sensitive aminoacyl-tRNA synthetase mutants from an Escherichia coli strain harboring the pemK plasmid. Mol Gen Genet. 1993;238:169-76 pubmed..The procedure is therefore useful for isolating temperature-sensitive mutants of aminoacyl-tRNA synthetases. ..
- Nakamaru Y, Takahashi Y, Unemoto T, Nakamura T. Mechanosensitive channel functions to alleviate the cell lysis of marine bacterium, Vibrio alginolyticus, by osmotic downshock. FEBS Lett. 1999;444:170-2 pubmed..This is the first report to show a physiological role of the mechanosensitive channel with large conductance...
- Yamada M, Nagamitsu H, Izu H, Nakamura K, Talukder A. Characterization of the ves gene, which is expressed at a low temperature in Escherichia coli. J Mol Microbiol Biotechnol. 2002;4:163-9 pubmed..Similarity of the C-terminal portion of Ves to the CspA family suggests that Ves belongs to this family. The results of gene-disruption experiments suggest that ves is not essential for E. coli. ..
- Vassylyeva M, Perederina A, Svetlov V, Yokoyama S, Artsimovitch I, Vassylyev D. Cloning, expression, purification, crystallization and initial crystallographic analysis of transcription factor DksA from Escherichia coli. Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2004;60:1611-3 pubmed..0 A at a synchrotron. Three complete atomic resolution multiple anomalous dispersion diffraction data sets were collected from the same crystal of the P2(1)2(1)2(1) crystal form at the absorption edge for Zn atoms. ..
- Matsuda M, Shigematsu M, Tazumi A, Sekizuka T, Takamiya S, Millar B, et al. Cloning and structural analysis of the full-length cytolethal distending toxin (cdt) gene operon from Campylobacter lari. Br J Biomed Sci. 2008;65:195-9 pubmed..lari isolates, as well as in C. jejuni and C. coli. No PCR amplicons were generated with urease-positive thermophilic campylobacters (UPTC; n=10) using the primer pair...
- Kobayashi K, Tagawa S, Mogi T. Intramolecular electron transfer processes in Cu(B)-deficient cytochrome bo studied by pulse radiolysis. J Biochem. 2009;145:685-91 pubmed publisher..And the absence of a putative OH(-) bound to Cu(B) seems not to affect the uptake of the first chemical proton via K-channel in the His333Ala mutant. ..
- Gupta V, Liu S, Ando H, Ishii R, Tateno S, Kaneko Y, et al. Salicylic acid induces mitochondrial injury by inhibiting ferrochelatase heme biosynthesis activity. Mol Pharmacol. 2013;84:824-33 pubmed publisher..This study establishes a novel aspect of the complex pharmacological effects of salicylic acid. ..
- Ogura T, Tomoyasu T, Yuki T, Morimura S, Begg K, Donachie W, et al. Structure and function of the ftsH gene in Escherichia coli. Res Microbiol. 1991;142:279-82 pubmed..A wild type chromosomal fragment able to complement the sfh mutations was cloned. We also identified another gene (ftsJ) affecting cell division in the region upstream of the ftsH gene. ..
- Tomoyasu T, Gamer J, Bukau B, Kanemori M, Mori H, Rutman A, et al. Escherichia coli FtsH is a membrane-bound, ATP-dependent protease which degrades the heat-shock transcription factor sigma 32. EMBO J. 1995;14:2551-60 pubmed..We conclude that FtsH is a novel membrane-bound, ATP-dependent metalloprotease with activity for sigma 32. These findings indicate a new mechanism of gene regulation in E. coli. ..
- Nagai H, Yuzawa H, Kanemori M, Yura T. A distinct segment of the sigma 32 polypeptide is involved in DnaK-mediated negative control of the heat shock response in Escherichia coli. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:10280-4 pubmed..The control may be exerted during or after completion of sigma 32 synthesis mediated by interaction between nascent or mature sigma 32 and DnaK/DnaJ proteins. ..
- Aburatani H, Hippo Y, Ishida T, Takashima R, Matsuba C, Kodama T, et al. Cloning and characterization of mammalian 8-hydroxyguanine-specific DNA glycosylase/apurinic, apyrimidinic lyase, a functional mutM homologue. Cancer Res. 1997;57:2151-6 pubmed..Genomic structure analysis showed that 3' exons of the hMMH gene are transcribed on the antisense strand of the calcium-dependent calmodulin kinase 1 gene. ..
- Takahashi H, Inada T, Postma P, Aiba H. CRP down-regulates adenylate cyclase activity by reducing the level of phosphorylated IIA(Glc), the glucose-specific phosphotransferase protein, in Escherichia coli. Mol Gen Genet. 1998;259:317-26 pubmed..The data suggest that unspecified proteins whose expression is under the control of CRP-cAMP are responsible for this regulation. ..
- Ikebe T, Iyoda S, Kutsukake K. Promoter analysis of the class 2 flagellar operons of Salmonella. Genes Genet Syst. 1999;74:179-83 pubmed..Truncation of this sequence from the flgB promoter reduced its transcriptional activity to the background level, indicating that this is an essential cis-acting element for transcription of the class 2 operons. ..
- Chen M, Takeda S, Yamada H, Ishii Y, Yamashino T, Mizuno T. Characterization of the RcsC-->YojN-->RcsB phosphorelay signaling pathway involved in capsular synthesis in Escherichia coli. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2001;65:2364-7 pubmed..Implications of these findings are discussed with special reference to the mechanism by which RcsC perceives external signals. ..
- Takahashi N, Yoshikura H, Kobayashi I. An Escherichia coli strain, BJ5183, that shows highly efficient conservative (two-progeny) DNA double-strand break repair of restriction breaks. Gene. 2003;303:89-97 pubmed..BJ5183 carries a mutation in the endA gene, which codes for Endonuclease I. An endA mutation conferred a higher double-strand break-repair activity to a recBC sbcA mutant strain. ..
- Hamaguchi M, Hamada D, Suzuki K, Sakata I, Yanagihara I. Molecular basis of actin reorganization promoted by binding of enterohaemorrhagic Escherichia coli EspB to alpha-catenin. FEBS J. 2008;275:6260-7 pubmed publisher..These results clarified the molecular basis of reorganization of actin filaments during infection with enterohaemorrhagic Escherichia coli. ..
- Shiba Y, Miyagawa H, Nagahama H, Matsumoto K, Kondo D, Matsuoka S, et al. Exploring the relationship between lipoprotein mislocalization and activation of the Rcs signal transduction system in Escherichia coli. Microbiology. 2012;158:1238-48 pubmed publisher..It seems that RcsF must be localized in the outer membrane to respond effectively to stimuli from outside the cell. ..
- Ezaki B, Ogura T, Niki H, Hiraga S. Partitioning of a mini-F plasmid into anucleate cells of the mukB null mutant. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:6643-6 pubmed..In the null mutant, the plasmid was partitioned into both nucleate and anucleate daughter cells, independently of host chromosomes. ..
- Oshima T, Ito K, Kabayama H, Nakamura Y. Regulation of lrp gene expression by H-NS and Lrp proteins in Escherichia coli: dominant negative mutations in lrp. Mol Gen Genet. 1995;247:521-8 pubmed..These results indicated that the lrp gene is not only feedback regulated by Lrp but is also controlled by H-NS protein. ..
- Shimoike T, Taura T, Kihara A, Yoshihisa T, Akiyama Y, Cannon K, et al. Product of a new gene, syd, functionally interacts with SecY when overproduced in Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:5519-26 pubmed..Possible significance of such interactions is discussed in conjunction with the apparent lack of phenotypic consequences of genetic disruption of syd...
- Ishii Y, Sonezaki S, Iwasaki Y, Miyata Y, Akita K, Kato Y, et al. Regulatory role of C-terminal residues of SulA in its degradation by Lon protease in Escherichia coli. J Biochem. 2000;127:837-44 pubmed..These results show that SulA has the specified rows of C-terminal 8 residues recognized by Lon, leading to facilitated binding and subsequent cleavage by Lon protease both in vivo and in vitro...
- Inagawa T, Kato J, Niki H, Karata K, Ogura T. Defective plasmid partition in ftsH mutants of Escherichia coli. Mol Genet Genomics. 2001;265:755-62 pubmed..It is likely that altered membrane structure affects the localization or activity of a putative plasmid partitioning apparatus located at positions equivalent to 1/4 and 3/4 of the cell length. ..
- Yamamoto K, Kusano K, Takahashi N, Yoshikura H, Kobayashi I. Gene conversion in the Escherichia coli RecF pathway: a successive half crossing-over model. Mol Gen Genet. 1992;234:1-13 pubmed
- Mizuno T, Mizushima S. Signal transduction and gene regulation through the phosphorylation of two regulatory components: the molecular basis for the osmotic regulation of the porin genes. Mol Microbiol. 1990;4:1077-82 pubmed..Based on the various lines of experimental evidence, a model is proposed for the molecular mechanism underlying the osmotic regulation through phosphorylation of the activator (OmpR) by the membrane-located kinase (Env2). ..
- Niki H, Jaffe A, Imamura R, Ogura T, Hiraga S. The new gene mukB codes for a 177 kd protein with coiled-coil domains involved in chromosome partitioning of E. coli. EMBO J. 1991;10:183-93 pubmed..At high temperature the mukB null mutants cannot form colonies and many nucleoids are distributed irregularly along elongated cells. We conclude that the MukB protein is required for chromosome partitioning in E. coli. ..
- Yamato I, Ohsawa M, Anraku Y. Defective cation-coupling mutants of Escherichia coli Na+/proline symport carrier. Characterization and localization of mutations. J Biol Chem. 1990;265:2450-5 pubmed
- Taura T, Kusukawa N, Yura T, Ito K. Transient shut off of Escherichia coli heat shock protein synthesis upon temperature shift down. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1989;163:438-43 pubmed..The synthesis of beta-galactosidase directed by transcription initiated at the groE promoter behaved similarly, suggesting that this regulation, termed "reverse heat shock response", occurs at the transcriptional level. ..
- Yoshida T, Ueguchi C, Mizuno T. Physical map location of a set of Escherichia coli genes (hde) whose expression is affected by the nucleoid protein H-NS. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:7747-8 pubmed
- Higashitani A, Nishimura Y, Hara H, Aiba H, Mizuno T, Horiuchi K. Osmoregulation of the fatty acid receptor gene fadL in Escherichia coli. Mol Gen Genet. 1993;240:339-47 pubmed..These results suggest that transcription of the fadL gene is osmotically regulated by the OmpR-EnvZ two-component system. ..
- Sato S, Ishikawa H. Expression and control of an operon from an intracellular symbiont which is homologous to the groE operon. J Bacteriol. 1997;179:2300-4 pubmed
- Yakushi T, Tajima T, Matsuyama S, Tokuda H. Lethality of the covalent linkage between mislocalized major outer membrane lipoprotein and the peptidoglycan of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1997;179:2857-62 pubmed..coli. Instead, a covalent linkage between the inner membrane Lpp having the C-terminal lysine and the peptidoglycan is lethal for E. coli, presumably due to the disruption of the cell surface integrity. ..
- Tanaka T, Saha S, Tomomori C, Ishima R, Liu D, Tong K, et al. NMR structure of the histidine kinase domain of the E. coli osmosensor EnvZ. Nature. 1998;396:88-92 pubmed publisher..This core has a novel protein kinase structure, distinct from the serine/threonine/tyrosine kinase fold, with unanticipated similarities to both heatshock protein 90 and DNA gyrase B...
- Shiraki K, Nishikori S, Fujiwara S, Hashimoto H, Kai Y, Takagi M, et al. Comparative analyses of the conformational stability of a hyperthermophilic protein and its mesophilic counterpart. Eur J Biochem. 2001;268:4144-50 pubmed..These results indicate that the high stability of Tk-MGMT gives resistance to chemical unfolding, in addition to thermal unfolding. ..
- Kakizawa S, Oshima K, Kuboyama T, Nishigawa H, Jung H, Sawayanagi T, et al. Cloning and expression analysis of Phytoplasma protein translocation genes. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2001;14:1043-50 pubmed..This study is what we believe to be the first report of the sequence and expression analysis of phytoplasma genes encoding membrane proteins with a predicted function...
- Ide H. DNA substrates containing defined oxidative base lesions and their application to study substrate specificities of base excision repair enzymes. Prog Nucleic Acid Res Mol Biol. 2001;68:207-21 pubmed..The repair efficiency of BER enzymes is affected by surrounding sequence contexts. In general, the sequence context effect appears to be more pronounced for Fpg homologs than Endo III homologs. ..
- Maegawa T, Karasawa T, Ohta T, Wang X, Kato H, Hayashi H, et al. Linkage between toxin production and purine biosynthesis in Clostridium difficile. J Med Microbiol. 2002;51:34-41 pubmed..These results suggest that accumulation of formylglycinamide ribonucleotide (FGAR), a substrate of FGAM synthetase, enhances toxin production by C difficile and depletion of FGAR reduces toxin production. ..
- Watanabe Y, Inoko Y. Physicochemical characterization of the reassembled dimer of an integral membrane protein OmpF porin. Protein J. 2005;24:167-74 pubmed..In a thermal denaturation experiment followed by sodium dodecyl sulfate-polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis, the reassembled dimer was less stable than the native trimer. ..
- Asakura M, Hinenoya A, Alam M, Shima K, Zahid S, Shi L, et al. An inducible lambdoid prophage encoding cytolethal distending toxin (Cdt-I) and a type III effector protein in enteropathogenic Escherichia coli. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:14483-8 pubmed..Our results suggest that CDT-1Phi is the latest member of a growing family of lambdoid phages encoding bacterial cyclomodulins and that the phage may have a role in horizontal transfer of these virulence genes. ..
- Nishino K, Yamasaki S, Hayashi Nishino M, Yamaguchi A. Effect of overexpression of small non-coding DsrA RNA on multidrug efflux in Escherichia coli. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2011;66:291-6 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that DsrA modulates multidrug efflux through activation of genes encoding the MdtEF pump in E. coli. ..
- Nakashima R, Sakurai K, Yamasaki S, Hayashi K, Nagata C, Hoshino K, et al. Structural basis for the inhibition of bacterial multidrug exporters. Nature. 2013;500:102-6 pubmed publisher..The structure of the hydrophobic trap described in this study will contribute to the development of universal inhibitors of MexB and MexY in P. aeruginosa. ..
- Tokishita S, Kojima A, Aiba H, Mizuno T. Transmembrane signal transduction and osmoregulation in Escherichia coli. Functional importance of the periplasmic domain of the membrane-located protein kinase, EnvZ. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:6780-5 pubmed..These results imply the functional importance of the periplasmic domain of the EnvZ protein for modulation of the kinase/phosphatase activity exhibited by the cytoplasmic domain in response to an environmental osmotic stimulus. ..
- Imaishi H, Gomada M, Inouye S, Nakazawa A. Physical map location of the rpoN gene of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:1550-1 pubmed
- Shirai Y, Akiyama Y, Ito K. Suppression of ftsH mutant phenotypes by overproduction of molecular chaperones. J Bacteriol. 1996;178:1141-5 pubmed..These results suggest that FtsH functions can be somehow compensated for when the cellular concentrations of some molecular chaperones increase. ..
- Tsuzuki M, Ishige K, Mizuno T. Phosphotransfer circuitry of the putative multi-signal transducer, ArcB, of Escherichia coli: in vitro studies with mutants. Mol Microbiol. 1995;18:953-62 pubmed..This evidence obtained in vitro supports the view that ArcB can serve as a powerful device for not only propagating multi-signals, but also making up signalling networks, in ways more sophisticated than previously thought. ..
- Homma T, Yoshihisa T, Ito K. Subunit interactions in the Escherichia coli protein translocase: SecE and SecG associate independently with SecY. FEBS Lett. 1997;408:11-5 pubmed..We conclude that each of SecE and SecG independently binds to SecY, the central subunit of protein translocase, although the trimeric complex is more stable than the binary complexes. ..
- Shiomi D, Homma M, Kawagishi I. Intragenic suppressors of a mutation in the aspartate chemoreceptor gene that abolishes binding of the receptor to methyltransferase. Microbiology. 2002;148:3265-75 pubmed..This effect was reversed by introducing a mutation in the xWxxF motif. These results reinforce the importance of the xWxxF motif and suggest that the motif does not have to be located at the extreme carboxy terminus. ..
- Itou A, Matsumoto K, Hara H. Activation of the Cpx phosphorelay signal transduction system in acidic phospholipid-deficient pgsA mutant cells of Escherichia coli. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012;421:296-300 pubmed publisher..The outer membrane lipoprotein NlpE, however, while necessary for the surface adhesion-induced Cpx response, was not involved in Cpx activation in the pgsA mutant. ..
- Hanada K, Yoshida T, Yamato I, Anraku Y. Sodium ion and proline binding sites in the Na+/proline symport carrier of Escherichia coli. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1992;1105:61-6 pubmed..These results indicate that Cys-344, which is located in the putative eighth membrane-spanning domain in the carrier, is a cysteine residue functionally involved in the high-affinity binding for sodium ion and proline. ..
- Nakamura K, Nakamura A, Takamatsu H, Yoshikawa H, Yamane K. Cloning and characterization of a Bacillus subtilis gene homologous to E. coli secY. J Biochem. 1990;107:603-7 pubmed..The total deduced amino acid sequence of the B. subtilis SecY homologue shows 41.3% homology with that of E. coli SecY, but remarkably higher homologous regions (more than 80% identity) are present in the four cytoplasmic domains. ..
- Deguchi Y, Yamato I, Anraku Y. Nucleotide sequence of gltS, the Na+/glutamate symport carrier gene of Escherichia coli B. J Biol Chem. 1990;265:21704-8 pubmed..coli, and the Na+/glucose co-transporters of rabbit and human intestines. We propose that this consensus sequence (or motif) may play an important role in cation recognition or binding in the Na+/solute symport reaction. ..
- Takata R, Izuhara M, Hori K. Differential degradation of the Escherichia coli polynucleotide phosphorylase mRNA. Nucleic Acids Res. 1989;17:7441-51 pubmed..5 min. It is also shown that the 5' segment of the unprocessed transcripts is more stable than the middle or the 3' segment. ..
- Kubo T, Mizobata T, Kawata Y. Refolding of yeast enolase in the presence of the chaperonin GroE. The nucleotide specificity of GroE and the role of GroES. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:19346-51 pubmed..The nucleotide binding mechanism of GroEL and the specific role of GroES during the refolding reaction are discussed in detail. ..
- Akiyama Y, Shirai Y, Ito K. Involvement of FtsH in protein assembly into and through the membrane. II. Dominant mutations affecting FtsH functions. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:5225-9 pubmed..It was suggested that the amino-terminal membrane region of FtsH interacts with other component(s), and that the two putative ATP binding sites are of vital importance for the FtsH functions. ..
- Hatakeyama K, Kohama K, Vert s A, Kobayashi M, Kurusu Y, Yukawa H. Analysis of the biotin biosynthesis pathway in coryneform bacteria: cloning and sequencing of the bioB gene from Brevibacterium flavum. DNA Seq. 1993;4:87-93 pubmed..B. flavum mutants obtained by in vivo disruption of the bioB gene lost their ability to grow on minimal medium containing dethiobiotin, indicating that the bioB gene product is necessary for the conversion of dethiobiotin to biotin...
- Ishioka K, Iwasaki H, Shinagawa H. Roles of the recG gene product of Escherichia coli in recombination repair: effects of the delta recG mutation on cell division and chromosome partition. Genes Genet Syst. 1997;72:91-9 pubmed..We suggest that the defect in the processing in the recG mutant results in accumulation of nonpartitioned chromosomes, which are linked by Holliday junctions. ..
- Kato M, Mizuno T, Hakoshima T. Crystallization of a complex between a novel C-terminal transmitter, HPt domain, of the anaerobic sensor kinase ArcB and the chemotaxis response regulator CheY. Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 1998;54:140-2 pubmed..7 A resolution. This is the first crystallization of a protein-protein complex formed by a transmitter domain of sensor kinase and a receiver domain of response regulator in the two-component signal-transduction system. ..