Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on escherichia coli proteins in Belgium
Topic: escherichia coli proteins
Publications103 found, 100 shown here
- Vertommen D, Depuydt M, Pan J, Leverrier P, Knoops L, Szikora J, et al. The disulphide isomerase DsbC cooperates with the oxidase DsbA in a DsbD-independent manner. Mol Microbiol. 2008;67:336-49 pubmed..Our data indicate that DsbC can assist DsbA in a DsbD-independent manner to oxidatively fold envelope proteins. The view that DsbC's function is limited to the disulphide isomerization pathway should therefore be reinterpreted. ..
- Wiame E, Duquenne A, Delpierre G, van Schaftingen E. Identification of enzymes acting on alpha-glycated amino acids in Bacillus subtilis. FEBS Lett. 2004;577:469-72 pubmed..These enzymes are therefore involved in the metabolism of alpha-glycated amino acids. ..
- Storozhenko S, De Pauw P, Kushnir S, Van Montagu M, Inze D. Identification of an Arabidopsis thaliana cDNA encoding a HSP70-related protein belonging to the HSP110/SSE1 subfamily. FEBS Lett. 1996;390:113-8 pubmed..At least two, tightly linked genes encoding HSP91 are present per haploid Arabidopsis genome. HSP91 is constitutively expressed in non-stressed Arabidopsis plants and is transiently induced by heat shock. ..
- Goemans C, Denoncin K, Collet J. Folding mechanisms of periplasmic proteins. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014;1843:1517-28 pubmed publisher..coli and highlight the questions that remain unsolved. This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Protein trafficking and secretion in bacteria. Guest Editors: Anastassios Economou and Ross Dalbey. ..
- Hadži S, Garcia Pino A, Haesaerts S, Jurenas D, Gerdes K, Lah J, et al. Ribosome-dependent Vibrio cholerae mRNAse HigB2 is regulated by a ?-strand sliding mechanism. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:4972-4983 pubmed publisher..This interaction displaces helix ?3 of VcHigB2 and at the same time induces a one-residue shift in the register of ?-strand ?3, thereby flipping the catalytically important Arg64 out of the active site. ..
- Aertsen A, Tesfazgi Mebrhatu M, Michiels C. Activation of the Salmonella typhimurium Mrr protein. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;367:435-9 pubmed publisher..Typhimurium mutant could be isolated that displayed an increased basal SOS induction because of a point mutation in the chromosomal mrr gene. Based on these findings the physiological role of Mrr in the cell is discussed. ..
- Wilbaux M, Mine N, Guerout A, Mazel D, Van Melderen L. Functional interactions between coexisting toxin-antitoxin systems of the ccd family in Escherichia coli O157:H7. J Bacteriol. 2007;189:2712-9 pubmed..coli strain harboring the ccd(O157) system in its chromosome. This shows that the plasmidic ccd(F) system is functional in the presence of its chromosomal counterpart. ..
- De Vriendt K, Theunissen S, Carpentier W, De Smet L, Devreese B, Van Beeumen J. Proteomics of Shewanella oneidensis MR-1 biofilm reveals differentially expressed proteins, including AggA and RibB. Proteomics. 2005;5:1308-16 pubmed..This anaerobic way of living affects the energy gaining pathways of the cell and is reflected by the presence of several proteins, including those of a heme-utilization system. ..
- De Mey M, Maertens J, Lequeux G, Soetaert W, Vandamme E. Construction and model-based analysis of a promoter library for E. coli: an indispensable tool for metabolic engineering. BMC Biotechnol. 2007;7:34 pubmed..This PLS model can be a useful tool to rationally design a suitable promoter in order to fine tune gene expression. ..
- Mainil J, Daube G. Verotoxigenic Escherichia coli from animals, humans and foods: who's who?. J Appl Microbiol. 2005;98:1332-44 pubmed
- De Mey M, Lequeux G, Beauprez J, Maertens J, Waegeman H, Van Bogaert I, et al. Transient metabolic modeling of Escherichia coli MG1655 and MG1655 DeltaackA-pta, DeltapoxB Deltapppc ppc-p37 for recombinant beta-galactosidase production. J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol. 2010;37:793-803 pubmed publisher..coli, the TCA cycle intermediates are increasingly replenished. The additional supply of these protein precursors has a positive result on recombinant protein production. ..
- Bailly V, Verly W, O CONNOR T, Laval J. Mechanism of DNA strand nicking at apurinic/apyrimidinic sites by Escherichia coli [formamidopyrimidine]DNA glycosylase. Biochem J. 1989;262:581-9 pubmed..The enzyme is without action on a 3'-terminal base-free deoxyribose or on a 3'-terminal base-free unsaturated sugar produced by a beta-elimination reaction nicking the DNA strand 3' to an apurinic or apyrimidinic site. ..
- De Bie L, Roovers M, Oudjama Y, Wattiez R, Tricot C, Stalon V, et al. The yggH gene of Escherichia coli encodes a tRNA (m7G46) methyltransferase. J Bacteriol. 2003;185:3238-43 pubmed..Additionally, we generated an E. coli strain with a disrupted yggH gene and show that the mutant strain lacks tRNA (m(7)G46) methyltransferase activity. ..
- Mine N, Guglielmini J, Wilbaux M, Van Melderen L. The decay of the chromosomally encoded ccdO157 toxin-antitoxin system in the Escherichia coli species. Genetics. 2009;181:1557-66 pubmed publisher..Molecular evolution analysis showed that ccdBO157 is under neutral evolution, suggesting that this system is devoid of any biological role in the E. coli species. ..
- Van Melderen L, Saavedra De Bast M. Bacterial toxin-antitoxin systems: more than selfish entities?. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000437 pubmed publisher..This Review discusses current hypotheses regarding the biological roles of these evolutionarily successful small operons. We consider the various selective forces that could drive the maintenance of TA systems in bacterial genomes. ..
- Schaerlaekens K, Van Mellaert L, Lammertyn E, Geukens N, Anne J. The importance of the Tat-dependent protein secretion pathway in Streptomyces as revealed by phenotypic changes in tat deletion mutants and genome analysis. Microbiology. 2004;150:21-31 pubmed
- Joris B, Ghuysen J, Dive G, Renard A, Dideberg O, Charlier P, et al. The active-site-serine penicillin-recognizing enzymes as members of the Streptomyces R61 DD-peptidase family. Biochem J. 1988;250:313-24 pubmed..The significance of these boxes is highlighted by the known results of X-ray crystallography, chemical derivatization and site-directed-mutagenesis experiments. ..
- Ruth N, Mainil J, Roupie V, Frere J, Galleni M, Huygen K. DNA vaccination for the priming of neutralizing antibodies against non-immunogenic STa enterotoxin from enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli. Vaccine. 2005;23:3618-27 pubmed..Moreover, insertion into loop A of the TEM-1 carrier may be more suitable than insertion into loop B, because of reduced competition between carrier and hapten B cell responses. ..
- Plesa M, Kholti A, Vermis K, Vandamme P, Panagea S, Winstanley C, et al. Conservation of the opcL gene encoding the peptidoglycan-associated outer-membrane lipoprotein among representatives of the Burkholderia cepacia complex. J Med Microbiol. 2004;53:389-98 pubmed..cepacia; sequence data derived from the amplicons identified the colonizing strains as B. cenocepacia (genomovar III, n = 14) and B. multivorans (n = 1). ..
- Depuydt M, Leonard S, Vertommen D, Denoncin K, Morsomme P, Wahni K, et al. A periplasmic reducing system protects single cysteine residues from oxidation. Science. 2009;326:1109-11 pubmed publisher..DsbG interacts with the YbiS protein and, along with DsbC, regulates oxidation of its catalytic cysteine residue. Thus, a potentially widespread mechanism controls sulfenic acid modification in the cellular environment. ..
- Chatzi K, Sardis M, Tsirigotaki A, Koukaki M, Sostaric N, Konijnenberg A, et al. Preprotein mature domains contain translocase targeting signals that are essential for secretion. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:1357-1369 pubmed publisher..Both the preprotein MTSs and their receptor site on SecA are essential for protein secretion. Evidently, mature domains have their own previously unsuspected distinct roles in preprotein targeting and secretion. ..
- Brans A, Loriaux A, Joris B, Dusart J. Cloning and sequencing of the dnaK locus in Streptomyces coelicolor A3(2). DNA Seq. 1996;6:179-84 pubmed..The isolated insert-a BamHI 5.6-kb fragment-was sequenced and shown to contain three open-reading frames organized in an operon and coding for proteins analogous to DnaK, GrpE and DnaJ, successively. ..
- Waegeman H, Beauprez J, Moens H, Maertens J, De Mey M, Foulquié Moreno M, et al. Effect of iclR and arcA knockouts on biomass formation and metabolic fluxes in Escherichia coli K12 and its implications on understanding the metabolism of Escherichia coli BL21 (DE3). BMC Microbiol. 2011;11:70 pubmed publisher..coli K12 MG1655 under glucose abundant and limiting conditions and compares the results with the metabolic characteristics of E. coli BL21 (DE3)...
- Deckers D, Vanlint D, Callewaert L, Aertsen A, Michiels C. Role of the lysozyme inhibitor Ivy in growth or survival of Escherichia coli and Pseudomonas aeruginosa bacteria in hen egg white and in human saliva and breast milk. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2008;74:4434-9 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that lysozyme inhibitors like Ivy promote bacterial survival or growth in particular lysozyme-rich secretions and suggest that they may promote the bacterial colonization of specific niches in the animal host. ..
- Nguyen V, Goetstouwers T, Coddens A, Van Poucke M, Peelman L, Deforce D, et al. Differentiation of F4 receptor profiles in pigs based on their mucin 4 polymorphism, responsiveness to oral F4 immunization and in vitro binding of F4 to villi. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2013;152:93-100 pubmed publisher..Future research will be necessary to confirm or reveal the identity of these receptors. ..
- Ahmed B, Loos M, Vanrompay D, Cox E. Mucosal priming of the murine immune system against enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:H7 using Lactococcus lactis expressing the type III secretion system protein EspB. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2013;152:141-5 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, an optimized EspB expression in L. lactis may be required to improve the mucosal immune response. ..
- Nobels I, Spanoghe P, Haesaert G, Robbens J, Blust R. Toxicity ranking and toxic mode of action evaluation of commonly used agricultural adjuvants on the basis of bacterial gene expression profiles. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24139 pubmed publisher..Although the number of compounds that were evaluated is rather limited (13), the results show that the used reporter assay is a promising tool to rank commonly used agricultural adjuvants based on toxicity and toxic mode of action data. ..
- Donné J, Van Kerckhoven M, Maes L, Cos P, Dewilde S. The role of the globin-coupled sensor YddV in a mature E. coli biofilm population. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016;1864:835-9 pubmed publisher..coli and YddV-knockout bacteria. Additionally, YddV expression had no significant influence on the amount of persister cells within the biofilm population, questioning the use of YddV as therapeutic target. ..
- Schaerlaekens K, Lammertyn E, Geukens N, De Keersmaeker S, Anne J, Van Mellaert L. Comparison of the Sec and Tat secretion pathways for heterologous protein production by Streptomyces lividans. J Biotechnol. 2004;112:279-88 pubmed..This was especially interesting in the case of hIL10, where Sec-dependent transport of hIL10 was at least 15 times higher in the DeltatatB mutant than in the wild-type strain...
- De Mey M, Lequeux G, Beauprez J, Maertens J, Van Horen E, Soetaert W, et al. Comparison of different strategies to reduce acetate formation in Escherichia coli. Biotechnol Prog. 2007;23:1053-63 pubmed..These genetic modifications have no significant influence on the metabolism when growing the micro-organisms under steady state at relatively low dilution rates (less than 0.4 h(-1)). ..
- Nguyen Distèche M, Fraipont C, Buddelmeijer N, Nanninga N. The structure and function of Escherichia coli penicillin-binding protein 3. Cell Mol Life Sci. 1998;54:309-16 pubmed..Initiation of septum formation is not PBP3-dependent but rests on the appearance of the FtsZ ring, and is thus penicillin-insensitive. The control of PBP3 activity during the cell cycle is briefly discussed. ..
- Devroede N, Thia Toong T, Gigot D, Maes D, Charlier D. Purine and pyrimidine-specific repression of the Escherichia coli carAB operon are functionally and structurally coupled. J Mol Biol. 2004;336:25-42 pubmed
- Vanderkelen L, Van Herreweghe J, Vanoirbeek K, Baggerman G, Myrnes B, Declerck P, et al. Identification of a bacterial inhibitor against g-type lysozyme. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2011;68:1053-64 pubmed publisher..coli to g-type lysozyme. The existence of inhibitors against all major types of animal lysozyme and their contribution to lysozyme tolerance suggest that lysozyme inhibitors may play a role in bacterial interactions with animal hosts...
- Bricteux Grégoire S, Verly W. The use of thioglycollate to demonstrate DNA AP (apurinic/apyrimidinic-site) lyase activities. Biological consequences of thiol addition to the 5' product of a beta-elimination reaction at an AP site in DNA. Biochem J. 1991;273 ( Pt 3):777-82 pubmed..In contrast, the mammalian AP endonuclease is unable to excise a 3'-terminal thiol-unsaturated sugar adduct; this lesion, which must sometimes occur in vivo, might be irreparable and have pathological consequences. ..
- Joris B, Dive G, Henriques A, Piggot P, Ghuysen J. The life-cycle proteins RodA of Escherichia coli and SpoVE of Bacillus subtilis have very similar primary structures. Mol Microbiol. 1990;4:513-7 pubmed
- Wiame E, Delpierre G, Collard F, van Schaftingen E. Identification of a pathway for the utilization of the Amadori product fructoselysine in Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:42523-9 pubmed..The kinase and the deglycase were both induced when E. coli was grown on fructoselysine and then reached activities sufficient to account for the rate of fructoselysine utilization. ..
- Aertsen A, Michiels C. SulA-dependent hypersensitivity to high pressure and hyperfilamentation after high-pressure treatment of Escherichia coli lon mutants. Res Microbiol. 2005;156:233-7 pubmed..coli strains which are compromised in Lon function. ..
- Snoeck V, Verfaillie T, Verdonck F, Goddeeris B, Cox E. The jejunal Peyer's patches are the major inductive sites of the F4-specific immune response following intestinal immunisation of pigs with F4 (K88) fimbriae. Vaccine. 2006;24:3812-20 pubmed..In conclusion, we have shown that the JPP are the major inductive sites of the F4-specific intestinal antibody response. This knowledge could be important when using the pig as an animal model for vaccination studies...
- Fraipont C, Sapunaric F, Zervosen A, Auger G, Devreese B, Lioux T, et al. Glycosyl transferase activity of the Escherichia coli penicillin-binding protein 1b: specificity profile for the substrate. Biochemistry. 2006;45:4007-13 pubmed..The problem of glycan chain elongation that presumably proceeds by the repetitive addition of disaccharide peptide units at their reducing end is discussed. ..
- Aertsen A, Michiels C. Upstream of the SOS response: figure out the trigger. Trends Microbiol. 2006;14:421-3 pubmed..We suggest that these endogenous triggers have been recruited by bacteria to enable adaptation to various types of stresses. ..
- Tsilibaris V, Maenhaut Michel G, Mine N, Van Melderen L. What is the benefit to Escherichia coli of having multiple toxin-antitoxin systems in its genome?. J Bacteriol. 2007;189:6101-8 pubmed..This casts a doubt on whether TA systems significantly influence bacterial fitness and competitiveness during non-steady-state growth conditions. ..
- Messens J, Collet J, Van Belle K, Brosens E, Loris R, Wyns L. The oxidase DsbA folds a protein with a nonconsecutive disulfide. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:31302-7 pubmed..Altogether, DsbA folds a protein with a nonconsecutive disulfide as long as no incorrect disulfides are formed. ..
- Caldara M, Minh P, Bostoen S, Massant J, Charlier D. ArgR-dependent repression of arginine and histidine transport genes in Escherichia coli K-12. J Mol Biol. 2007;373:251-67 pubmed..In contrast, ArgR-mediated repression of P hisJ by inhibition of RNA polymerase binding appears to occur through topological changes of the promoter region. ..
- El Hajjaji H, Dumoulin M, Matagne A, Colau D, Roos G, Messens J, et al. The zinc center influences the redox and thermodynamic properties of Escherichia coli thioredoxin 2. J Mol Biol. 2009;386:60-71 pubmed publisher..2 kJ/mol and 5.8 kJ/mol, respectively. In conclusion, our data show that the Zn(2+)-center of Trx2 fine-tunes the properties of this unique thioredoxin. ..
- Minh P, Devroede N, Massant J, Maes D, Charlier D. Insights into the architecture and stoichiometry of Escherichia coli PepA*DNA complexes involved in transcriptional control and site-specific DNA recombination by atomic force microscopy. Nucleic Acids Res. 2009;37:1463-76 pubmed publisher..We further provide a direct physical proof that PepA is able to synapse two cer sites in direct repeat in a large interwrapped nucleoprotein complex, likely comprising two PepA hexamers. ..
- Baruah K, Ranjan J, Sorgeloos P, Bossier P. Efficacy of heterologous and homologous heat shock protein 70s as protective agents to Artemia franciscana challenged with Vibrio campbellii. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2010;29:733-9 pubmed publisher..6% identity, indicating that the observed protective capacity of homologous or heterologous Hsp70 proteins might reside within this peptide-binding domain...
- Leverrier P, Declercq J, Denoncin K, Vertommen D, Hiniker A, Cho S, et al. Crystal structure of the outer membrane protein RcsF, a new substrate for the periplasmic protein-disulfide isomerase DsbC. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:16734-42 pubmed publisher..The three-dimensional structure of RcsF provides the structural basis to understand how this protein triggers the Rcs signaling cascade. ..
- Vondenhoff G, Blanchaert B, Geboers S, Kazakov T, Datsenko K, Wanner B, et al. Characterization of peptide chain length and constituency requirements for YejABEF-mediated uptake of microcin C analogues. J Bacteriol. 2011;193:3618-23 pubmed publisher..It was shown that a minimal peptide chain length of 6 amino acids and the presence of an N-terminal formyl-methionyl-arginyl sequence are required for transport...
- Ghosh A, Passaris I, Tesfazgi Mebrhatu M, Rocha S, Vanoirbeek K, Hofkens J, et al. Cellular localization and dynamics of the Mrr type IV restriction endonuclease of Escherichia coli. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:3908-18 pubmed publisher..In general, our results reveal that Mrr can take part in complex spatial distributions on the nucleoid and can be engaged in distinct modes of activity. ..
- Goffin C, Fraipont C, Ayala J, Terrak M, Nguyen Distèche M, Ghuysen J. The non-penicillin-binding module of the tripartite penicillin-binding protein 3 of Escherichia coli is required for folding and/or stability of the penicillin-binding module and the membrane-anchoring module confers cell septation activity on the fo. J Bacteriol. 1996;178:5402-9 pubmed..The in vivo activity of PBP3 also depends on the M-1-to-E-56 amino-terminal module which encompasses the cytosol, the membrane, and the periplasm and which functions as a noncleaved pseudo-signal peptide. ..
- Michiels J, Van Soom T, D hooghe I, Dombrecht B, Benhassine T, de Wilde P, et al. The Rhizobium etli rpoN locus: DNA sequence analysis and phenotypical characterization of rpoN, ptsN, and ptsA mutants. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:1729-40 pubmed..These results suggest that ptsN and ptsA are part of the same regulatory cascade, the inactivation of which renders the cells sensitive to toxic effects of elevated concentrations of malate or succinate. ..
- Maghnouj A, de Sousa Cabral T, Stalon V, Vander Wauven C. The arcABDC gene cluster, encoding the arginine deiminase pathway of Bacillus licheniformis, and its activation by the arginine repressor argR. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:6468-75 pubmed..The binding site is centered 108 nucleotides upstream from the transcription start point and contains a single Arg box...
- Pattery T, Hernalsteens J, De Greve H. Identification and molecular characterization of a novel Salmonella enteritidis pathogenicity islet encoding an ABC transporter. Mol Microbiol. 1999;33:791-805 pubmed..The wild-type phenotype could be restored by in vivo complementation with the sfbABC operon. This novel transporter might be involved in iron uptake in Salmonella...
- Allali N, Afif H, Couturier M, Van Melderen L. The highly conserved TldD and TldE proteins of Escherichia coli are involved in microcin B17 processing and in CcdA degradation. J Bacteriol. 2002;184:3224-31 pubmed..Interestingly, sequence database comparisons revealed that these two proteins have homologues in eubacteria and archaebacteria, suggesting a broader physiological role...
- Thia Toong T, Roovers M, Durbecq V, Gigot D, Glansdorff N, Charlier D. Genes of de novo pyrimidine biosynthesis from the hyperthermoacidophilic crenarchaeote Sulfolobus acidocaldarius: novel organization in a bipolar operon. J Bacteriol. 2002;184:4430-41 pubmed..In contrast, the pyrE-pyrB promoter/control region harbors direct repeats and imperfect palindromes reminiscent of target sites for the binding of a hypothetical regulatory protein(s)...
- Lah J, Marianovsky I, Glaser G, Engelberg Kulka H, Kinne J, Wyns L, et al. Recognition of the intrinsically flexible addiction antidote MazE by a dromedary single domain antibody fragment. Structure, thermodynamics of binding, stability, and influence on interactions with DNA. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:14101-11 pubmed publisher..Both binding and stability studies lead to a picture of MazE solution structure that is significantly more unfolded than the structure observed in a crystal of the MazE-cAbMaz1 complex...
- Aertsen A, Van Houdt R, Vanoirbeek K, Michiels C. An SOS response induced by high pressure in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:6133-41 pubmed..In light of these findings, the current knowledge of pressure-mediated effects on bacteria is discussed. ..
- Sermon J, Vanoirbeek K, De Spiegeleer P, Van Houdt R, Aertsen A, Michiels C. Unique stress response to the lactoperoxidase-thiocyanate enzyme system in Escherichia coli. Res Microbiol. 2005;156:225-32 pubmed..Several of the induced genes or pathways may be involved in bacterial defense against the toxic effects of the lactoperoxidase-thiocyanate enzyme system. ..
- Roovers M, Oudjama Y, Kaminska K, Purta E, Caillet J, Droogmans L, et al. Sequence-structure-function analysis of the bifunctional enzyme MnmC that catalyses the last two steps in the biosynthesis of hypermodified nucleoside mnm5s2U in tRNA. Proteins. 2008;71:2076-85 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, the N-terminal domain is capable of independent folding, while the isolated C-terminal domain is incapable of folding on its own, a situation similar to the one reported recently for the rRNA modification enzyme RsmC. ..
- Nguyen P, Bervoets I, Maes D, Charlier D. The protein-DNA contacts in RutR•carAB operator complexes. Nucleic Acids Res. 2010;38:6286-300 pubmed publisher..Finally, we test the validity of this model with site-directed mutagenesis of the helix-turn-helix DNA binding motif and in vitro binding studies with the cognate purified mutant RutR proteins. ..
- Bailly V, Verly W. The multiple activities of Escherichia coli endonuclease IV and the extreme lability of 5'-terminal base-free deoxyribose 5-phosphates. Biochem J. 1989;259:761-8 pubmed..The 3'-phosphatase activity of E. coli endonuclease VI/exonuclease III and E. coli endonuclease IV can also be useful when the AP site has been excised by a beta delta-elimination reaction. ..
- Babiychuk E, Kushnir S, Van Montagu M, Inze D. The Arabidopsis thaliana apurinic endonuclease Arp reduces human transcription factors Fos and Jun. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:3299-303 pubmed..Therefore, the Arabidopsis Arp protein is multifunctional and may be involved both in DNA repair and in the regulation of transcription. ..
- Fauconnier A, Allaoui A, Campos A, Van Elsen A, Cornelis G, Bollen A. Flagellar flhA, flhB and flhE genes, organized in an operon, cluster upstream from the inv locus in Yersinia enterocolitica. Microbiology. 1997;143 ( Pt 11):3461-71 pubmed publisher..Finally, the incongruous localization of inv amidst the flagellar cluster is discussed; while transposition could explain this phenomenon, no trace of such an event was detected...
- Terrak M, Ghosh T, van Heijenoort J, Van Beeumen J, Lampilas M, Aszodi J, et al. The catalytic, glycosyl transferase and acyl transferase modules of the cell wall peptidoglycan-polymerizing penicillin-binding protein 1b of Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 1999;34:350-64 pubmed..Attempts to produce truncated forms of the PBP lead to the conclusion that the multimodular polypeptide chain behaves as an integrated folding entity during PBP1b biogenesis. ..
- Jacquet A, Daminet V, Haumont M, Garcia L, Chaudoir S, Bollen A, et al. Expression of a recombinant Toxoplasma gondii ROP2 fragment as a fusion protein in bacteria circumvents insolubility and proteolytic degradation. Protein Expr Purif. 1999;17:392-400 pubmed..Such fusions could represent an alternative to study the immunogenicity of T. gondii proteins which are difficult to produce because of insolubility and degradation...
- Schaerlaekens K, Schierov M, Lammertyn E, Geukens N, Ann J, Van Mellaert L. Twin-arginine translocation pathway in Streptomyces lividans. J Bacteriol. 2001;183:6727-32 pubmed publisher..the Tat pathway is functional. Moreover, this Tat pathway can translocate folded proteins, and the E. coli TorA signal peptide can direct Tat-dependent transport in S. lividans...
- Rigali S, Derouaux A, Giannotta F, Dusart J. Subdivision of the helix-turn-helix GntR family of bacterial regulators in the FadR, HutC, MocR, and YtrA subfamilies. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:12507-15 pubmed..The observed C-terminal E-b/O domain heterogeneity was therefore reflected on the DNA-binding domain and on the cis-acting elements, suggesting the existence of a tight link between the three regions involved in the regulating process. ..
- Enoru Eta J, Gigot D, Glansdorff N, Charlier D. High resolution contact probing of the Lrp-like DNA-binding protein Ss-Lrp from the hyperthermoacidophilic crenarchaeote Sulfolobus solfataricus P2. Mol Microbiol. 2002;45:1541-55 pubmed..Moreover, the results demonstrate profound Ss-Lrp induced structural alterations of sequence stretches flanking the core contact site, and reveal that the deformability of these regions significantly contributes to binding selectivity. ..
- Xu Y, Sun Y, Huysveld N, Gigot D, Glansdorff N, Charlier D. Regulation of arginine biosynthesis in the psychropiezophilic bacterium Moritella profunda: in vivo repressibility and in vitro repressor-operator contact probing. J Mol Biol. 2003;326:353-69 pubmed..A close inspection of sequence conservation and of single base-pair O(c)-type mutations indicate that the same conclusion can be generalized to E.coli operators...
- De Spiegeleer P, Vanoirbeek K, Lietaert A, Sermon J, Aertsen A, Michiels C. Investigation into the resistance of lactoperoxidase tolerant Escherichia coli mutants to different forms of oxidative stress. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2005;252:315-9 pubmed..Finally, a lactoperoxidase tolerant knock-out strain of ulaA, involved in ascorbic acid uptake, did not show resistance to any of the other oxidants. The possible modes of action of these different oxidants are discussed. ..
- Sermon J, Wevers E, Jansen L, De Spiegeleer P, Vanoirbeek K, Aertsen A, et al. CorA affects tolerance of Escherichia coli and Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium to the lactoperoxidase enzyme system but not to other forms of oxidative stress. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2005;71:6515-23 pubmed..These results indicate that CorA affects the lactoperoxidase sensitivity of E. coli by modulating the cytoplasmic concentrations of transition metals that enhance the toxicity of the lactoperoxidase system. ..
- Garcia Pino A, Christensen Dalsgaard M, Wyns L, Yarmolinsky M, Magnuson R, Gerdes K, et al. Doc of prophage P1 is inhibited by its antitoxin partner Phd through fold complementation. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:30821-7 pubmed publisher..Moreover, Doc activates the endogenous E. coli RelE mRNA interferase but does not require this or any other known chromosomal toxin-antitoxin locus for its action in vivo...
- Timmermans J, Van Melderen L. Conditional essentiality of the csrA gene in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2009;191:1722-4 pubmed publisher..Deletion of the glgCAP operon in the csrA::cat mutant restored the ability to grow on LB and on synthetic medium containing glycolytic carbon sources, showing that growth inhibition is due to an excess of glycogen synthesis. ..
- Peeters E, Nguyen Le Minh P, Foulquié Moreno M, Charlier D. Competitive activation of the Escherichia coli argO gene coding for an arginine exporter by the transcriptional regulators Lrp and ArgP. Mol Microbiol. 2009;74:1513-26 pubmed publisher..The repertoire of bacterial transcription regulation mechanisms is vast, but the competitive activation of a single promoter by two activator proteins as described here appears to be rare. ..
- Tesfazgi Mebrhatu M, Wywial E, Ghosh A, Michiels C, Lindner A, Taddei F, et al. Evidence for an evolutionary antagonism between Mrr and Type III modification systems. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:5991-6001 pubmed publisher..This apparent evolutionary antagonism is further discussed in the light of a possible role for Mrr as defense mechanism against the establishment of epigenetic regulation by foreign DNA methyltransferases. ..
- Denoncin K, Schwalm J, Vertommen D, Silhavy T, Collet J. Dissecting the Escherichia coli periplasmic chaperone network using differential proteomics. Proteomics. 2012;12:1391-401 pubmed publisher..Our data, which provide a unique glimpse into the protein content of the nonviable surA skp mutant, clarify the roles of the periplasmic chaperones in E. coli...
- Zhou K, Vanoirbeek K, Aertsen A, Michiels C. Variability of the tandem repeat region of the Escherichia coli tolA gene. Res Microbiol. 2012;163:316-22 pubmed publisher..Using this system, Cm-resistant revertants with a TR contraction were recovered at a frequency of 1.1 × 10(-7), and contraction was shown to be recA-dependent and enhanced in a DNA repair-deficient mutS background. ..
- Zorzini V, Mernik A, Lah J, Sterckx Y, De Jonge N, Garcia Pino A, et al. Substrate Recognition and Activity Regulation of the Escherichia coli mRNA Endonuclease MazF. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:10950-60 pubmed publisher..In addition, we pinpoint the origin of the lack of activity of the E24A point mutant of EcMazF in its inability to support the substrate binding-competent conformation of EcMazF. ..
- Siwek B, Bricteux Grégoire S, Bailly V, Verly W. The relative importance of Escherichia coli exonuclease III and endonuclease IV for the hydrolysis of 3'-phosphoglycolate ends in polydeoxynucleotides. Nucleic Acids Res. 1988;16:5031-8 pubmed..It thus seems that endonuclease IV has only a minor role in the repair of strand breaks limited by 3'-phosphoglycolate ends in Escherichia coli even after the amount of enzyme has been increased by induction with O2 -generating agents. ..
- Hofte M, Dong Q, Kourambas S, Krishnapillai V, Sherratt D, Mergeay M. The sss gene product, which affects pyoverdin production in Pseudomonas aeruginosa 7NSK2, is a site-specific recombinase. Mol Microbiol. 1994;14:1011-20 pubmed..The sss gene of P. aeruginosa could restore site-specific recombination at cer in an E. coli xerC mutant and the E. coli xerC gene could complement a genomic sss mutation in P. aeruginosa. ..
- van Dyck L, Pearce D, Sherman F. PIM1 encodes a mitochondrial ATP-dependent protease that is required for mitochondrial function in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:238-42 pubmed..PIM1 mRNA is constitutively expressed but is increased after thermal stress, suggesting that Pim1 may play a role in the heat shock response. ..
- Andre B, Hein C, Grenson M, Jauniaux J. Cloning and expression of the UGA4 gene coding for the inducible GABA-specific transport protein of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Gen Genet. 1993;237:17-25 pubmed..In the absence of the pleiotropic UGA43/DAL80 repressor, UGA4 is constitutively expressed at high level. ..
- Herman C, Thevenet D, Bouloc P, Walker G, D Ari R. Degradation of carboxy-terminal-tagged cytoplasmic proteins by the Escherichia coli protease HflB (FtsH). Genes Dev. 1998;12:1348-55 pubmed..These results establish a tail-specific pathway for removing abnormal cytoplasmic proteins via the HflB and Clp proteases. ..
- Van den Broeck W, Cox E, Goddeeris B. Receptor-dependent immune responses in pigs after oral immunization with F4 fimbriae. Infect Immun. 1999;67:520-6 pubmed
- Lamrani S, Ranquet C, Gama M, Nakai H, Shapiro J, Toussaint A, et al. Starvation-induced Mucts62-mediated coding sequence fusion: a role for ClpXP, Lon, RpoS and Crp. Mol Microbiol. 1999;32:327-43 pubmed
- Piette A, Fraipont C, Den Blaauwen T, Aarsman M, Pastoret S, Nguyen Distèche M. Structural determinants required to target penicillin-binding protein 3 to the septum of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:6110-7 pubmed..We postulate that FtsQ could play a role in regulating the assembly of these division proteins at the division site and the activity of the peptidoglycan assembly machineries within the divisome. ..