Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on escherichia coli in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: escherichia coli
Publications878 found, 100 shown here
- Cox M. The bacterial RecA protein as a motor protein. Annu Rev Microbiol. 2003;57:551-77 pubmed..This motor may be needed only in a subset of the DNA metabolism contexts in which RecA protein functions. Models for the coupling of DNA strand exchange to ATP hydrolysis are examined. ..
- Wang X, Seth P, Ranken R, Swayze E, Migawa M. Synthesis and biological activity of 5-fluorotubercidin. Nucleosides Nucleotides Nucleic Acids. 2004;23:161-70 pubmed..Increased activity of 7 over tubercidin was observed against L-1210 cells and toxicity in fibroblast cells was reduced. ..
- Xu H, Pillai R, Azzouz T, Shpargel K, Kambach C, Hebert M, et al. The C-terminal domain of coilin interacts with Sm proteins and U snRNPs. Chromosoma. 2005;114:155-66 pubmed
- Thomas W, Forero M, Yakovenko O, Nilsson L, Vicini P, Sokurenko E, et al. Catch-bond model derived from allostery explains force-activated bacterial adhesion. Biophys J. 2006;90:753-64 pubmed..This strongly suggests that FimH forms allosteric catch bonds. The model advances our understanding of both catch bonds and the role of allostery in regulating protein activity. ..
- Bloom L. Dynamics of loading the Escherichia coli DNA polymerase processivity clamp. Crit Rev Biochem Mol Biol. 2006;41:179-208 pubmed..This review focuses on the measurement of dynamic and transient interactions required to assemble the Escherichia coli sliding clamp on DNA. ..
- Zheng J, Domsic J, Cabelli D, McKenna R, Silverman D. Structural and kinetic study of differences between human and Escherichia coli manganese superoxide dismutases. Biochemistry. 2007;46:14830-7 pubmed..These data emphasize the role of residue 66 in catalysis and inhibition and provide a structural explanation for differences in catalytic properties between human and certain bacterial forms of MnSOD. ..
- Som A, Tew G. Influence of lipid composition on membrane activity of antimicrobial phenylene ethynylene oligomers. J Phys Chem B. 2008;112:3495-502 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest that lipid type and structure are more important in determining membrane selectivity than lipid headgroup charges for this series of HDP mimics. ..
- Steed P, Fillingame R. Subunit a facilitates aqueous access to a membrane-embedded region of subunit c in Escherichia coli F1F0 ATP synthase. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:12365-72 pubmed publisher..The results described here provide further evidence for an aqueous-accessible region at the interface of subunits a and c extending from the middle of the membrane to the cytoplasm. ..
- Stalder E, Nagy L, Batalla P, Arthur T, Thompson N, Burgess R. The epitope for the polyol-responsive monoclonal antibody 8RB13 is in the flap-domain of the beta-subunit of bacterial RNA polymerase and can be used as an epitope tag for immunoaffinity chromatography. Protein Expr Purif. 2011;77:26-33 pubmed publisher..This amino acid sequence has been developed into an epitope tag that can be used to purify a target protein from either bacterial or eukaryotic cells when genetically fused to a protein of interest. ..
- Li N, Lim R, Edwardraja S, Lin Q. Copper-free Sonogashira cross-coupling for functionalization of alkyne-encoded proteins in aqueous medium and in bacterial cells. J Am Chem Soc. 2011;133:15316-9 pubmed publisher..The high efficiency of this new catalytic system should greatly enhance the utility of Sonogashira cross-coupling in bioorthogonal chemistry...
- Bikard D, Jiang W, Samai P, Hochschild A, Zhang F, Marraffini L. Programmable repression and activation of bacterial gene expression using an engineered CRISPR-Cas system. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013;41:7429-37 pubmed publisher..The simple and efficient modulation of gene expression achieved by this technology is a useful asset for the study of gene networks and for the development of synthetic biology and biotechnological applications. ..
- Li W, Brandriss M. Proline biosynthesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae: molecular analysis of the PRO1 gene, which encodes gamma-glutamyl kinase. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:4148-56 pubmed..In addition, a pro1 bradytrophic strain became completely auxotrophic for proline in a gcn4 strain background. These results indicate that PRO1 is regulated by the general amino acid control system. ..
- Padmanabha K, Deutscher M. RNase T affects Escherichia coli growth and recovery from metabolic stress. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:1376-81 pubmed..The data demonstrate that the absence of RNase T affects the normal functioning of E. coli, but it can be compensated for to some degree by the presence of other RNases. Possible roles of RNase T in RNA metabolism are discussed. ..
- Lawther R. Point mutations in the regulatory region of the ilvGMEDA operon of Escherichia coli K-12. J Bacteriol. 1989;171:1188-91 pubmed..In this note point mutations of the regulatory region are reported. The effect of these mutations on expression from the ilv regulatory region supports the previous biochemical analysis. ..
- Burns C, Richardson J. NusG is required to overcome a kinetic limitation to Rho function at an intragenic terminator. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:4738-42 pubmed..Thus, using purified components and intracellular levels of NTPs, we have confirmed the in vivo finding that certain Rho-dependent terminators also depend on NusG, whereas others do not. ..
- Howard B, Endrizzi J, Remington S. Crystal structure of Escherichia coli malate synthase G complexed with magnesium and glyoxylate at 2.0 A resolution: mechanistic implications. Biochemistry. 2000;39:3156-68 pubmed..Interesting similarities in the overall folds and modes of substrate recognition are discussed in comparisons of malate synthase with pyruvate kinase and pyruvate phosphate dikinase. ..
- Hughes R, Ellington A. Mistakes in translation don't translate into termination. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:1273-4 pubmed
- Belevych N, Buchanan K, Chen Q, Bailey M, Quan N. Location-specific activation of the paraventricular nucleus of the hypothalamus by localized inflammation. Brain Behav Immun. 2010;24:1137-47 pubmed publisher..These results support the notion that local inflammation may activate the PVN by neural routes in a location-specific manner. ..
- Chen X, Zhang M, Zhou C, Kallenbach N, Ren D. Control of bacterial persister cells by Trp/Arg-containing antimicrobial peptides. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2011;77:4878-85 pubmed publisher..These results are helpful for better understanding the activities of these peptides and may aid in future development of more effective therapies of chronic infections. ..
- Mageroy M, Tieman D, Floystad A, Taylor M, Klee H. A Solanum lycopersicum catechol-O-methyltransferase involved in synthesis of the flavor molecule guaiacol. Plant J. 2012;69:1043-51 pubmed publisher..These lines also showed a trend toward lower catechol levels. Taken together, we concluded that CTOMT1 is a catechol-O-methyltransferase that produces guaiacol in tomato fruit...
- Czarnecka E, Verner F, Gurley W. A strategy for building an amplified transcriptional switch to detect bacterial contamination of plants. Plant Mol Biol. 2012;78:59-75 pubmed publisher..The inclusion of a transcriptional repressor reduced basal expression, thereby increasing fold-amplification of signal detection and fine-tuning the positive autofeedback loop regulation. ..
- Rigel N, Schwalm J, Ricci D, Silhavy T. BamE modulates the Escherichia coli beta-barrel assembly machine component BamA. J Bacteriol. 2012;194:1002-8 pubmed publisher..Strikingly, when ?bamE mutant cells are treated with proteinase K, BamA is degraded beyond detection. Taken together, our findings suggest that BamE modulates the conformation of BamA, likely through its interactions with BamD. ..
- Morrison J, Wright C, John G. Identification, Isolation and characterization of a novel azoreductase from Clostridium perfringens. Anaerobe. 2012;18:229-34 pubmed publisher..Enzyme kinetics studies suggested that the association between enzyme and substrate is strong. Our results show that AzoC from C. perfringens has azoreductase activity. ..
- Wang X, Miller E, Yomano L, Shanmugam K, Ingram L. Increased furan tolerance in Escherichia coli due to a cryptic ucpA gene. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2012;78:2452-5 pubmed publisher..Deleting ucpA decreased furfural tolerance. Although the mechanism remains unknown, the cryptic ucpA gene is now associated with a phenotype: furan resistance. ..
- Stamos B, Loredo L, Chand S, Phan T, Zhang Y, Mohapatra S, et al. Biosynthetic approach for functional protein microarrays. Anal Biochem. 2012;424:114-23 pubmed publisher..Fully functional protein microarrays, with monolayer arrangements and complete control over their orientations, were generated using this strategy...
- Baker K, Postle K. Mutations in Escherichia coli ExbB transmembrane domains identify scaffolding and signal transduction functions and exclude participation in a proton pathway. J Bacteriol. 2013;195:2898-911 pubmed publisher..Consideration of combined data excludes ExbB TMD residues from direct participation in a proton pathway...
- Tveit A, Rusch G, Muijser H, Tegelenbosch Schouten M. The acute, developmental, genetic and inhalation toxicology of 2,3,3,3-tetrafluoropropene (HFO-1234yf). Drug Chem Toxicol. 2013;36:412-20 pubmed publisher..There were no biologically significant effects in a rat developmental toxicity study with exposures up to 50,000 ppm. ..
- Wu E, Engström O, Jo S, Stuhlsatz D, Yeom M, Klauda J, et al. Molecular dynamics and NMR spectroscopy studies of E. coli lipopolysaccharide structure and dynamics. Biophys J. 2013;105:1444-55 pubmed publisher..Analysis of ion and water penetration shows that water molecules can penetrate inside the inner core region, and hydration is critical to maintain the integrity of the bilayer structure. ..
- Horn J, Ellena R, Tran J, Beck W, Narayanaswami V, Weers P. Transfer of C-terminal residues of human apolipoprotein A-I to insect apolipophorin III creates a two-domain chimeric protein with enhanced lipid binding activity. Biochim Biophys Acta Biomembr. 2017;1859:1317-1325 pubmed publisher..The apoA-I like behavior of the chimera indicate that these properties are independent from residues residing in the N-terminal domain of apoA-I, and that they can be transferred from apoA-I to apoLp-III. ..
- Zheng J, Yang T, Zhou J, Xu M, Zhang X, Rao Z, et al. Efficient production of d-amino acid oxidase in Escherichia coli by a trade-off between its expression and biomass using N-terminal modification. Bioresour Technol. 2017;243:716-723 pubmed publisher..Finally, the N-terminus disordered region of RtDAAO (HSQK) was replaced with HHHG and the variant enzyme activity reached 80.7U/mL (with a 40 percent of inactive DAAO reduced) in a 7.5L fermenter in 24h. ..
- Yeung T, Mullin D, Chen K, Craig E, Bardwell J, Walker J. Sequence and expression of the Escherichia coli recR locus. J Bacteriol. 1990;172:6042-7 pubmed..By maxicell analysis, it was determined that both orf12 and recR are translated. ..
- Sparkowski J, Das A. The nucleotide sequence of greA, a suppressor gene that restores growth of an Escherichia coli RNA polymerase mutant at high temperature. Nucleic Acids Res. 1990;18:6443 pubmed
- Delap S, Skeeles J, Kreider D, Whitfill C, Beasley J, Houghten G, et al. In vitro studies with dimethyldithiocarbamate, possible new antimicrobial for use in poultry. Avian Dis. 1989;33:8-11 pubmed..Zone of inhibition and the minimum inhibitory concentration were determined for each organism. DmDTC was effective in vitro against all organisms tested, with A. fumigatus showing greatest overall sensitivity...
- Jin D, Gross C. Characterization of the pleiotropic phenotypes of rifampin-resistant rpoB mutants of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1989;171:5229-31 pubmed..We found that mutational changes leading to the same phenotype were often located together and that certain phenotypes were associated with one another. ..
- Lin W, Jakobi R, Traugh J. Reconstitution of heterologous and chimeric casein kinase II with recombinant subunits from human and Drosophila: identification of species-specific differences in the beta subunit. J Protein Chem. 1994;13:217-25 pubmed..The N-terminal region also affected solubility and electrophoretic mobility of the beta subunit. ..
- Thoden J, Frey P, Holden H. Crystal structures of the oxidized and reduced forms of UDP-galactose 4-epimerase isolated from Escherichia coli. Biochemistry. 1996;35:2557-66 pubmed..Thus it may be speculated that an amino acid residue, other than glutamate, aspartate, or histidine, may be functioning as the active site base. ..
- Zhou Z, Deutscher M. An essential function for the phosphate-dependent exoribonucleases RNase PH and polynucleotide phosphorylase. J Bacteriol. 1997;179:4391-5 pubmed..These data indicate that RNase PH and PNPase play an essential role that affects ribosome metabolism and that this function cannot be taken over by any of the hydrolytic exoribonucleases present in the cell. ..
- Weagant S, Jagow J, Jinneman K, Omiecinski C, Kaysner C, Hill W. Development of digoxigenin-labeled PCR amplicon probes for use in the detection and identification of enteropathogenic Yersinia and Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli from foods. J Food Prot. 1999;62:438-43 pubmed..Labeled probe preparations were reused more than five times and have been stored at -20 degrees C for more than 8 months. This method conveniently generates probes that are safe, stable, inexpensive, reusable, and reliable. ..
- King P, Przybyla A. Response of hya expression to external pH in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:5250-6 pubmed..However, external pH did affect hyb expression levels, which, in contrast to hya, were maximal in alkaline rather than acidic medium. ..
- Bessette P, Aslund F, Beckwith J, Georgiou G. Efficient folding of proteins with multiple disulfide bonds in the Escherichia coli cytoplasm. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:13703-8 pubmed..These results demonstrate that the cytoplasm can be rendered sufficiently oxidizing to allow efficient formation of native disulfide bonds without compromising cell viability. ..
- Crowell A, Williams D, Davis E, Wildung M, Croteau R. Molecular cloning and characterization of a new linalool synthase. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2002;405:112-21 pubmed
- Dubey A, Baker C, Suzuki K, Jones A, Pandit P, Romeo T, et al. CsrA regulates translation of the Escherichia coli carbon starvation gene, cstA, by blocking ribosome access to the cstA transcript. J Bacteriol. 2003;185:4450-60 pubmed..These results establish that CsrA regulates translation of cstA by sterically interfering with ribosome binding. ..
- Chelvarajan R, Collins S, Doubinskaia I, Goes S, Van Willigen J, Flanagan D, et al. Defective macrophage function in neonates and its impact on unresponsiveness of neonates to polysaccharide antigens. J Leukoc Biol. 2004;75:982-94 pubmed..This dysregulated cytokine secretion by neonatal MPhi may be a result of a reduction in expression of Toll-like receptor-2 (TLR-2) and TLR-4 and CD14. ..
- Kadouri D, O Toole G. Susceptibility of biofilms to Bdellovibrio bacteriovorus attack. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2005;71:4044-51 pubmed..In flow cell experiments B. bacteriovorus was able to decrease the biomass of both E. coli and Pseudomonas fluorescens biofilms as determined by phase-contrast and epifluorescence microscopy...
- Jambunathan N, Mahalingam R. Analysis of Arabidopsis growth factor gene 1 (GFG1) encoding a nudix hydrolase during oxidative signaling. Planta. 2006;224:1-11 pubmed..Based on rapid transcriptional changes in response to various stresses, substrate specificity of the enzyme, and analysis of the knock out mutant, we propose that GFG1 is a key gene linking cellular metabolism and oxidative signaling. ..
- Gavrilin M, Bouakl I, Knatz N, Duncan M, Hall M, Gunn J, et al. Internalization and phagosome escape required for Francisella to induce human monocyte IL-1beta processing and release. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:141-6 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that Francisella organisms efficiently induce IL-1beta processing and release in fresh monocytes by means of a sensing system that requires the uptake of live bacteria capable of phagosome escape...
- Peterson C, Carabetta V, Chowdhury T, Silhavy T. LrhA regulates rpoS translation in response to the Rcs phosphorelay system in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2006;188:3175-81 pubmed..In addition, mutations in the gene encoding the DNA motor protein FtsK induce lrhA synthesis, which may explain why such strains fail to accumulate RpoS in stationary phase. ..
- Link A, Vink M, Agard N, Prescher J, Bertozzi C, Tirrell D. Discovery of aminoacyl-tRNA synthetase activity through cell-surface display of noncanonical amino acids. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:10180-10185 pubmed publisher..The Leu-13 --> Gly (L13G) mutation is found in each of the three MetRS mutants, and the MetRS variant containing this single mutation is highly efficient in producing recombinant proteins that contain azidonorleucine. ..
- Olson M, Templeton L, Suh W, Youderian P, Sariaslani F, Gatenby A, et al. Production of tyrosine from sucrose or glucose achieved by rapid genetic changes to phenylalanine-producing Escherichia coli strains. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2007;74:1031-40 pubmed..Moreover, introduction of a plasmid carrying genes responsible for sucrose degradation into these strains enabled L-tyrosine-production from sucrose. ..
- Hamuro Y, Molnar K, Coales S, Ouyang B, Simorellis A, Pochapsky T. Hydrogen-deuterium exchange mass spectrometry for investigation of backbone dynamics of oxidized and reduced cytochrome P450cam. J Inorg Biochem. 2008;102:364-70 pubmed..To our knowledge, this study represents the first experimental investigation of backbone dynamics within the P450 family using this methodology...
- Heider L, Funk J, Hoet A, Meiring R, Gebreyes W, Wittum T. Identification of Escherichia coli and Salmonella enterica organisms with reduced susceptibility to ceftriaxone from fecal samples of cows in dairy herds. Am J Vet Res. 2009;70:389-93 pubmed publisher..25) for every 454-kg increase in herd milk production. No evidence was found that the use of ceftiofur on dairy farms increases the prevalence or dissemination of Salmonella spp or E coli with reduced susceptibility to ceftriaxone. ..
- Cullen T, Trent M. A link between the assembly of flagella and lipooligosaccharide of the Gram-negative bacterium Campylobacter jejuni. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:5160-5 pubmed publisher..Cj0256 is a member of a large family of mostly uncharacterized proteins that may play a larger role in the decoration of bacterial surface structures. ..
- Castillo J, Brown M, Strand M. Blood feeding and insulin-like peptide 3 stimulate proliferation of hemocytes in the mosquito Aedes aegypti. PLoS Pathog. 2011;7:e1002274 pubmed publisher..Our results also indicate that blood feeding enhances resistance to E. coli at lower levels of infection but reduces tolerance at higher levels of infection. ..
- Aulik N, Hellenbrand K, Czuprynski C. Mannheimia haemolytica and its leukotoxin cause macrophage extracellular trap formation by bovine macrophages. Infect Immun. 2012;80:1923-33 pubmed publisher..haemolytica leukotoxin. This study demonstrates that macrophages, like neutrophils, can form extracellular traps in response to bacterial pathogens and their exotoxins...
- Pilizota T, Shaevitz J. Fast, multiphase volume adaptation to hyperosmotic shock by Escherichia coli. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e35205 pubmed publisher..We find that cells are able to recover fully from shocks as high as 1 Osmol/kg using existing systems, but that for larger shocks, protein synthesis is required for full recovery. ..
- Peters J, Mooney R, Grass J, Jessen E, Tran F, Landick R. Rho and NusG suppress pervasive antisense transcription in Escherichia coli. Genes Dev. 2012;26:2621-33 pubmed publisher..The combined actions of Rho, NusG, and H-NS appear to be analogous to the Sen1-Nrd1-Nab3 and nucleosome systems that suppress antisense transcription in eukaryotes. ..
- Lee J, Wendt J, Shanmugam K. Identification of a new gene, molR, essential for utilization of molybdate by Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1990;172:2079-87 pubmed..These data suggest that in the absence of the high-affinity molybdate transport system, E. coli utilizes sulfate and selenite transport systems for transporting molybdate, preferring sulfate transport over the selenite transport system. ..
- Straney R, Krah R, Menzel R. Mutations in the -10 TATAAT sequence of the gyrA promoter affect both promoter strength and sensitivity to DNA supercoiling. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:5999-6006 pubmed..Our results are consistent with a mechanism for RST that involves a step in transcription initiation. ..
- Yang T, Poovaiah B. Molecular and biochemical evidence for the involvement of calcium/calmodulin in auxin action. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:3137-43 pubmed..Our data provide the first direct evidence for the involvement of calcium/CaM-mediated signaling in auxin-mediated signal transduction. ..
- Cho H, Tomita K, Suzuki T, Weiner A. U2 small nuclear RNA is a substrate for the CCA-adding enzyme (tRNA nucleotidyltransferase). J Biol Chem. 2002;277:3447-55 pubmed..We suggest that the 3' stem/loop of U2 snRNA resembles a tRNA minihelix, the smallest efficient substrate for class I and II CCA-adding enzymes, and that CCA addition to U2 snRNA may take place in vivo after snRNP assembly has begun. ..
- Wise E, Yew W, Babbitt P, Gerlt J, Rayment I. Homologous (beta/alpha)8-barrel enzymes that catalyze unrelated reactions: orotidine 5'-monophosphate decarboxylase and 3-keto-L-gulonate 6-phosphate decarboxylase. Biochemistry. 2002;41:3861-9 pubmed..Accordingly, sequence or structure homology alone cannot be used to infer the functions of new proteins discovered in genome projects. ..
- Yi L, Jiang F, Chen M, Cain B, Bolhuis A, Dalbey R. YidC is strictly required for membrane insertion of subunits a and c of the F(1)F(0)ATP synthase and SecE of the SecYEG translocase. Biochemistry. 2003;42:10537-44 pubmed
- Hoffmeister D, Yang J, Liu L, Thorson J. Creation of the first anomeric D/L-sugar kinase by means of directed evolution. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:13184-9 pubmed
- Drees J, Lusetti S, Chitteni Pattu S, Inman R, Cox M. A RecA filament capping mechanism for RecX protein. Mol Cell. 2004;15:789-98 pubmed..RecX protein interacts directly with RecA protein, but appears to interact in a functionally significant manner only with RecA filaments bound to DNA. ..
- Pichoff S, Lutkenhaus J. Tethering the Z ring to the membrane through a conserved membrane targeting sequence in FtsA. Mol Microbiol. 2005;55:1722-34 pubmed..It is required to target FtsA to the membrane and subsequently to the Z ring. As FtsA is much more widely conserved in bacteria than ZipA, it is likely that FtsA serves as the principal membrane anchor for the Z ring. ..
- Roy H, Ling J, Alfonzo J, Ibba M. Loss of editing activity during the evolution of mitochondrial phenylalanyl-tRNA synthetase. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:38186-92 pubmed
- Schumacher M, Funnell B. Structures of ParB bound to DNA reveal mechanism of partition complex formation. Nature. 2005;438:516-9 pubmed..These unique structural features of ParB explain how this protein can bind complex arrays of A- and B-box elements on adjacent DNA arms of the looped partition site. ..
- Kim W, Tabita F. Both subunits of ATP-citrate lyase from Chlorobium tepidum contribute to catalytic activity. J Bacteriol. 2006;188:6544-52 pubmed..Reconstitution and mutagenesis studies together indicated that residues of each subunit contributed to different aspects of the catalytic mechanism, suggesting that both subunit proteins contribute to the active site of C. tepidum ACL...
- Tribble G, Lamont G, Progulske Fox A, Lamont R. Conjugal transfer of chromosomal DNA contributes to genetic variation in the oral pathogen Porphyromonas gingivalis. J Bacteriol. 2007;189:6382-8 pubmed..This ability to transfer chromosomal DNA between strains may be an adaptation mechanism in the complex environment of the host oral cavity. ..
- Patnaik R, Zolandz R, Green D, Kraynie D. L-tyrosine production by recombinant Escherichia coli: fermentation optimization and recovery. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2008;99:741-52 pubmed..5 and then acid precipitated from clarified supernatants following removal of biomass using membrane filtration. L-tyr product purity of 98% with yields ranging from 90% to 95% is demonstrated. ..
- Hayden J, Ades S. The extracytoplasmic stress factor, sigmaE, is required to maintain cell envelope integrity in Escherichia coli. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e1573 pubmed publisher..Our results are consistent with a model in which overexpression of ptsN reduces stress in the cell envelope, thereby promoting survival in the absence of sigma(E). ..
- Zhang Q, Atreya H, Kamen D, Girvin M, Szyperski T. GFT projection NMR based resonance assignment of membrane proteins: application to subunit C of E. coli F(1)F (0) ATP synthase in LPPG micelles. J Biomol NMR. 2008;40:157-63 pubmed publisher..It is shown that the 4D and 5D spectral information obtained rapidly from GFT and G(2)FT NMR experiments enables one to efficiently obtain (nearly) complete resonance assignments of membrane proteins. ..
- Peters J, Mooney R, Kuan P, Rowland J, Keles S, Landick R. Rho directs widespread termination of intragenic and stable RNA transcription. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:15406-11 pubmed publisher..These Rho-terminated antisense transcripts point to a role of noncoding transcription in E. coli gene regulation that may resemble the ubiquitous noncoding transcription recently found to play myriad roles in eukaryotic gene regulation. ..
- Herrera C, Hankins J, Trent M. Activation of PmrA inhibits LpxT-dependent phosphorylation of lipid A promoting resistance to antimicrobial peptides. Mol Microbiol. 2010;76:1444-60 pubmed publisher..The current work is an example of the complexities associated with the structural remodelling of Gram-negative lipopolysaccharides promoting bacterial survival. ..
- Wondergem R, Graves B, Ozment Skelton T, Li C, Williams D. Lipopolysaccharides directly decrease Ca2+ oscillations and the hyperpolarization-activated nonselective cation current If in immortalized HL-1 cardiomyocytes. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2010;299:C665-71 pubmed publisher..We conclude that LPS inhibits activation of I(f), enhances its deactivation, and impairs regulation of [Ca2+]i in HL-1 cardiomyocytes via TLR-4 and other mechanisms. ..
- Shen B, Lutkenhaus J. Differences in MinC/MinD sensitivity between polar and internal Z rings in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2011;193:367-76 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data indicate that polar Z rings are more susceptible to MinC/MinD than internal Z rings, even when MinE is absent. ..
- Lin I, Miller D, Bertics P, Murphy C, de Pablo J, Abbott N. Endotoxin-induced structural transformations in liquid crystalline droplets. Science. 2011;332:1297-300 pubmed publisher..The LC ordering transitions depend strongly on glycophospholipid structure and provide new designs for responsive soft matter. ..
- Hong R, Kang T, Michels C, Gadura N. Membrane lipid peroxidation in copper alloy-mediated contact killing of Escherichia coli. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2012;78:1776-84 pubmed publisher..coli is triggered by nonenzymatic oxidative damage of membrane phospholipids that ultimately results in the loss of membrane integrity and cell death. ..
- Jang S, Sandler S, Harshey R. Mu insertions are repaired by the double-strand break repair pathway of Escherichia coli. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002642 pubmed publisher..coli-the replication restart proteins PriA-DnaT and homologous recombination proteins RecABC. We discuss alternate models for recombinational repair of the Mu gaps. ..
- Mi R, Alford Zappala M, Kow Y, Cunningham R, Cao W. Human endonuclease V as a repair enzyme for DNA deamination. Mutat Res. 2012;735:12-8 pubmed publisher..This is the first report of deaminated base repair activity for human endonuclease V. The relationship between the endonuclease activity and deaminated deoxyadenosine (deoxyinosine) repair is discussed. ..
- Ahsan N, Huang Y, Tovar Mendez A, Swatek K, Zhang J, Miernyk J, et al. A versatile mass spectrometry-based method to both identify kinase client-relationships and characterize signaling network topology. J Proteome Res. 2013;12:937-48 pubmed publisher..Structural modeling revealed that phosphorylation of AtPPI-2 induces conformational changes that modulate TOPP binding. ..
- Woods J, Singh Blom U, Laurent J, McGary K, Marcotte E. Prediction of gene-phenotype associations in humans, mice, and plants using phenologs. BMC Bioinformatics. 2013;14:203 pubmed publisher..Finally, we offer testable candidates for a variety of human diseases, plant traits, and other classes of phenotypes across a wide array of species. ..
- Gifford C, Wallace S. The genes encoding formamidopyrimidine and MutY DNA glycosylases in Escherichia coli are transcribed as part of complex operons. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:4223-36 pubmed..The order of genes in these operons has been conserved or partially conserved only in other closely related gram-negative bacteria, although it is not known whether the genes are cotranscribed in these other organisms. ..
- Fallacara D, Monahan C, Morishita T, Wack R. Fecal shedding and antimicrobial susceptibility of selected bacterial pathogens and a survey of intestinal parasites in free-living waterfowl. Avian Dis. 2001;45:128-35 pubmed..In addition, the prevalence of endoparasites in these sampled waterfowl ranged from 5% to 66%. Protozoan oocysts were most prevalent followed by nematode ova. No trematode or cestode ovum was recovered from this sampled population. ..
- Bhoo S, Davis S, Walker J, Karniol B, Vierstra R. Bacteriophytochromes are photochromic histidine kinases using a biliverdin chromophore. Nature. 2001;414:776-9 pubmed publisher..Both their presence in many diverse bacteria and their simplified assembly with biliverdin suggest that BphPs are the progenitors of phytochrome-type photoreceptors...
- Gao G, Shao C, Zhang S, Dudley A, Fant J, Ma J. Kallikrein-binding protein inhibits retinal neovascularization and decreases vascular leakage. Diabetologia. 2003;46:689-98 pubmed..Inhibition of VEGF binding to its receptors and down-regulation of VEGF expression could represent a mechanism for the vascular activities of KBP. ..
- Kim H, Yin J. Quantitative analysis of a parasitic antiviral strategy. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2004;48:1017-20 pubmed..This strategy inhibited virus growth over a wide range of conditions, while minimizing host cell perturbations. Such parasitic strategies may inhibit the development of drug-resistant virus strains. ..
- Hamilton C, Greco T, Vizthum C, Ginter J, Johnston M, Mueller E. Mechanistic investigations of the pseudouridine synthase RluA using RNA containing 5-fluorouridine. Biochemistry. 2006;45:12029-38 pubmed..These results are interpreted in light of a consistent mechanistic scheme for the handling of f5U by psi synthases. ..
- Lindsey H, Gallie J, Taylor S, Kerr B. Evolutionary rescue from extinction is contingent on a lower rate of environmental change. Nature. 2013;494:463-7 pubmed publisher..As anthropogenic activities are leading to environmental change at unprecedented rapidity, it is critical to understand how the rate of environmental change affects both demographic and genetic underpinnings of evolutionary rescue. ..