Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on escherichia coli in Taiwan
Topic: escherichia coli
Publications172 found, 100 shown here
- Wang H, Chen Y, Huang C, Hseu R. Cloning and characterization of a thermostable and pH-stable cellobiohydrolase from Neocallimastix patriciarum J11. Protein Expr Purif. 2013;90:153-9 pubmed publisher..Cobalt and Fe(3+) at 1 mM greatly activated the enzyme activity. As a thermostable and pH stable enzyme with crystalline cellulose-degrading activity, J11 CelA is a potential candidate for the bioethanol industry...
- Lei G, Hu S. Functional domains of the InsA protein of IS2. J Bacteriol. 1997;179:6238-43 pubmed..In contrast, deletion of the first N-terminal 12 residues abolished the DNA binding capability of InsA. These results indicate that the DNA binding domain of InsA is located at its N terminus. ..
- Pan J, Yang L, Liang P. Effect of site-directed mutagenesis of the conserved aspartate and glutamate on E. coli undecaprenyl pyrophosphate synthase catalysis. Biochemistry. 2000;39:13856-61 pubmed..Other mutant UPPs enzymes in this study have shown no significant change (<5-fold) of k(cat) with exception of E73A and D218A. Both enzymes have 10-fold lower k(cat) value relative to wild-type UPPs. ..
- Chen S, Yen C, Yeh M, Huang C, Liu T. Biochemical properties and cDNa cloning of two new lectins from the plasma of Tachypleus tridentatus: Tachypleus plasma lectin 1 and 2+. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:9631-9 pubmed..The physiological function of TPL-1 and TPL-2 is most likely related to their ability to form a cluster of interlocking molecules to immobilize and entrap invading organisms...
- Liao Y, Wang S, Leu Y, Wang C, Chang S, Hong Y, et al. The structural integrity exerted by N-terminal pyroglutamate is crucial for the cytotoxicity of frog ribonuclease from Rana pipiens. Nucleic Acids Res. 2003;31:5247-55 pubmed..The cytotoxicity of onconase is largely determined by structural integrity and specific catalytic activity for UG through Pyr1, rather than non-specific activity for total RNAs...
- Ma L, Chang F, Fung C, Chen T, Lin J, Lu P, et al. Variety of TEM-, SHV-, and CTX-M-type beta-lactamases present in recent clinical isolates of Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, and Enterobacter cloacae from Taiwan. Microb Drug Resist. 2005;11:31-9 pubmed..Plasmid spread between E. coli and K. pneumoniae was identified in few isolates. Combinations of TEM, SHV, and CTX beta-lactamase genes, including extended-spectrum beta-lactamase genes, were observed in all three species. ..
- Cheng T, Chang L, Howng S, Lu P, Lee C, Hong Y. SUMO-1 modification of centrosomal protein hNinein promotes hNinein nuclear localization. Life Sci. 2006;78:1114-20 pubmed
- Tseng M, Lo W, Lin W, Teng C, Chu M, Wang C. Changing trend in antimicrobial resistance of pediatric uropathogens in Taiwan. Pediatr Int. 2008;50:797-800 pubmed publisher..Parenteral first-generation cephalosporins, gentamicin, and oral nitrofurantoin should be considered for first-line agents, given the resistance patterns of this study. ..
- Wang H, Shih Y, Hu S, Lo W, Lin H, Ding S, et al. Parallel gene cloning and protein production in multiple expression systems. Biotechnol Prog. 2009;25:1582-6 pubmed publisher..Our vectors allow parallel gene cloning and protein production in multiple expression systems with minimal cloning effort. ..
- Chou C, Ko T, Wu K, Huang K, Lin C, Wong C, et al. Modulation of substrate specificities of D-sialic acid aldolase through single mutations of Val-251. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:14057-64 pubmed publisher..The engineered D-sialic acid aldolase may find applications in synthesizing unnatural sugars of C(6) to C(10) for the design of antagonists and inhibitors of glycoenzymes. ..
- Hsing Y, Tsou C, Hsu T, Chen Z, Hsieh K, Hsieh J, et al. Tissue- and stage-specific expression of a soybean (Glycine max L.) seed-maturation, biotinylated protein. Plant Mol Biol. 1998;38:481-90 pubmed..These proteins are boiling-soluble and biotinylated when they are present endogenously in soybean seeds; however, the same recombinant protein expressed in Escherichia coli is boiling-soluble, but it is not biotinylated...
- Chia S, Leung P, Liao C, Huang J, Lee S. Fragment of Japanese encephalitis virus envelope protein produced in Escherichia coli protects mice from virus challenge. Microb Pathog. 2001;31:9-19 pubmed..coli, a quality that is important for a protein to qualify as a good vaccine candidate. ..
- Hu W, Yang C. IS1550 from Mycoplasma fermentans is transposable in Escherichia coli. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2001;198:159-64 pubmed..On the basis of these results, IS1550 was considered a typical transposable element...
- Chen S, Chang Y, Lin C, Lin C, Liaw S. Crystal structure of a bifunctional deaminase and reductase from Bacillus subtilis involved in riboflavin biosynthesis. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:7605-13 pubmed..Finally, the present structure reveals that the deaminase and the reductase are separate functional domains and that domain fusion is crucial for the enzyme activities through formation of a stable tetrameric structure. ..
- Wu W, Tyukhtenko S, Huang T. Direct NMR resonance assignments of the active site histidine residue in Escherichia coli thioesterase I/protease I/lysophospholipase L1. Magn Reson Chem. 2006;44:1037-40 pubmed..The sensitivity of detection for the short-lived N(delta1)-H proton was enhanced substantially by improved water suppression, in particular, the suppression of radiation damping via pulsed field gradients. ..
- Chung Y, Yeh J, Tsai C. Antibacterial characteristics and activity of water-soluble chitosan derivatives prepared by the Maillard reaction. Molecules. 2011;16:8504-14 pubmed publisher..aureus exposed to the water-soluble chitosan derivative in deionized water. The results suggest that the water-soluble chitosan produced by Maillard reaction may be a promising commercial substitute for acid-soluble chitosan. ..
- Liu T, Tsai K, Wang H, Chen Y, Chen Y, Chao Y, et al. Functionalized arrays of Raman-enhancing nanoparticles for capture and culture-free analysis of bacteria in human blood. Nat Commun. 2011;2:538 pubmed publisher..Our results represent a critical step towards the creation of SERS-based multifunctional biochips for rapid culture- and label-free detection and drug-resistant testing of microorganisms in clinical samples. ..
- Yang C, Huang T, Wen S, Chang C, Tsai S, Wu W, et al. Genome-wide PhoB binding and gene expression profiles reveal the hierarchical gene regulatory network of phosphate starvation in Escherichia coli. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e47314 pubmed publisher..We also present the hierarchical structure of the phosphate sensing regulatory network. The data suggest that PhoB plays protective roles in membrane integrity and oxidative stress reduction during phosphate starvation. ..
- Yang Y, Lin Y, Liao C. Toxicity-based toxicokinetic/toxicodynamic assessment of bioaccumulation and nanotoxicity of zerovalent iron nanoparticles in Caenorhabditis elegans. Int J Nanomedicine. 2017;12:4607-4621 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the use of the TBTK/TD scheme manipulating C. elegans could be used for rapid evaluation of in vivo toxicity of NPs or for drug screening in the field of nanomedicine. ..
- Hung S, Chen Y, Chen Y. Effects of safrole on the defensive functions of human neutrophils. J Periodontal Res. 2003;38:130-4 pubmed..Inhibition of the defensive functions of neutrophils may be one possible mechanism by which safrole compromises the oral health. ..
- Lu M, Liu W, Lin C. Infection competition against grouper nervous necrosis virus by virus-like particles produced in Escherichia coli. J Gen Virol. 2003;84:1577-82 pubmed..The recombinant VLPs block attachment of native virus to the surface of cultured fish nerve cells, blocking infection by the native virus...
- Babu C, Dudev T, Casareno R, Cowan J, Lim C. A combined experimental and theoretical study of divalent metal ion selectivity and function in proteins: application to E. coli ribonuclease H1. J Am Chem Soc. 2003;125:9318-28 pubmed..The present analyses and results could be generalized to other members of the RNase H family that possess the same structural fold and show similar metal-binding site and Mg(2+)-dependent activity. ..
- Wen T, Chen J, Lee S, Yang N, Shyur L. A truncated Fibrobacter succinogenes 1,3-1,4-beta-d-glucanase with improved enzymatic activity and thermotolerance. Biochemistry. 2005;44:9197-205 pubmed
- Lin P, Lin Chao S. RhlB helicase rather than enolase is the beta-subunit of the Escherichia coli polynucleotide phosphorylase (PNPase)-exoribonucleolytic complex. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:16590-5 pubmed publisher..coli PNPase complex...
- Hung C, Lo H, Hsu W, Chen S, Lin L. Immobilization of Escherichia coli novablue gamma-glutamyltranspeptidase in Ca-alginate-kappa-carrageenan beads. Appl Biochem Biotechnol. 2008;150:157-70 pubmed publisher..The synthesis of L: -theanine was performed in 50 mM Tris-HCl buffer (pH 10) containing 25 mM L: -glutamine, 40 mM ethylamine, and 1.5 mg EcGGT/g alginate at 40 degrees C for 12 h, and a conversion rate of 27% was achieved. ..
- Lee C, Yan Y, Liang S, Wang T. Production of FMDV virus-like particles by a SUMO fusion protein approach in Escherichia coli. J Biomed Sci. 2009;16:69 pubmed publisher..The method described here can also apply to produce capsid/envelope protein complexes or VLPs of other disease-causing viruses. ..
- Chan W, Liang P, Shih Y, Yang U, Lin W, Hsu C. Learning to predict expression efficacy of vectors in recombinant protein production. BMC Bioinformatics. 2010;11 Suppl 1:S21 pubmed publisher..We will release our program to share with other labs in the public domain when this paper is published. ..
- Chen H, Lin Z, Huang G, Lin Y. Sweet potato calmodulin SPCAM is involved in salt stress-mediated leaf senescence, H?O? elevation and senescence-associated gene expression. J Plant Physiol. 2012;169:1892-902 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the sweet potato calmodulin gene is NaCl-inducible and participates in salt stress-mediated leaf senescence, H?O? elevation and senescence-associated gene expression. ..
- Kuo H, Chung C, Hung Y, Lai Y, Chiou P, Lu M, et al. Comparison of the responses of different recombinant fish type I interferons against betanodavirus infection in grouper. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2016;49:143-53 pubmed publisher..These results provide information concerning the efficacy of fish IFNs for possible therapeutic applications. ..
- Shaw J, Chang R, Chuang K, Yen Y, Wang Y, Wang F. Nucleotide sequence of a novel arylesterase gene from Vibro mimicus and characterization of the enzyme expressed in Escherichia coli. Biochem J. 1994;298 Pt 3:675-80 pubmed..1.1.2). N-Terminal analysis showed that Ser-20 was the first amino acid of the mature secreted protein, suggesting that the N-terminal 19 hydrophobic amino acids served as a signal peptide...
- Chiang C, Liaw G. A missense mutation in the nuclear gene coding for the mitochondrial aspartyl-tRNA synthetase suppresses a mitochondrial tRNA(Asp) mutation. Nucleic Acids Res. 2000;28:1542-7 pubmed..We conclude that the base substitution causes the respiratory rescue and discuss the possible mechanism as one which enhances interaction between the mutated tRNA(Asp)and the suppressor version of AspRS. ..
- Liou G, Jane W, Cohen S, Lin N, Lin Chao S. RNA degradosomes exist in vivo in Escherichia coli as multicomponent complexes associated with the cytoplasmic membrane via the N-terminal region of ribonuclease E. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:63-8 pubmed..Our findings, which establish the existence and cellular location of RNase E-based degradosomes in vivo in E. coli, also suggest that RNA processing and decay may occur at specific sites within cells. ..
- Ku W, Liu Y, Hsu Y, Liao C, Liang P, Yuan H, et al. The zinc ion in the HNH motif of the endonuclease domain of colicin E7 is not required for DNA binding but is essential for DNA hydrolysis. Nucleic Acids Res. 2002;30:1670-8 pubmed
- Chiu C, Tsay Y, Chang C, Lee S. Nopp140 is a mediator of the protein kinase A signaling pathway that activates the acute phase response alpha1-acid glycoprotein gene. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:39102-11 pubmed..In summary, we demonstrate the existence of a novel Nopp140-mediated PKA signaling pathway that leads to the activation of agp, one of the major acute phase response genes. ..
- Cheng P, Tsaihong J, Lee K. Application of recombinant Sjc26GST for serodiagnosis of Schistosoma japonicum infection in water buffalo (Bos buffelus). Vet Parasitol. 2007;150:314-20 pubmed..Developing reSjc26GST, with its potential diagnostic values, will be useful for diagnosis and surveillance of schistosomiasis in controlling the spread of this parasitic disease in domestic animals. ..
- Hsieh L, Yeh C, Pan H, Cheng C, Yang C, Lee P. Cloning and expression of a phenylalanine ammonia-lyase gene (BoPAL2) from Bambusa oldhamii in Escherichia coli and Pichia pastoris. Protein Expr Purif. 2010;71:224-30 pubmed publisher..12s(-1). The K(m) and k(cat) values of BoPAL2 expressed in P. pastoris were 331microM and 16.04s(-1). The recombinant proteins had similar biochemical properties and kinetic parameters with PALs reported in other plants...
- Lin Y, Wu S, Chang T, Wang C, Suen C, Hwang M, et al. Outer membrane protein I of Pseudomonas aeruginosa is a target of cationic antimicrobial peptide/protein. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:8985-94 pubmed publisher..Our findings highlight a novel mechanism of antimicrobial activity and document a previously unexplored target of alpha-helical cationic AMPs, which may be used for screening drugs to treat antibiotic-resistant bacterial infection. ..
- Chou C, Hsu C, Wang Y, Chang M, Chen L, Cheng S, et al. Biochemical and structural properties of zebrafish Capsulin produced by Escherichia coli. Protein Expr Purif. 2011;75:21-7 pubmed publisher..The present study not only helps us to comparatively analyze capsulin genes across species, but it also provides valuable structural information for further studies of Capsulin biological function in the future. ..
- Lin C, Syu W, Sun W, Chen J, Chen T, Don M, et al. A role of ygfZ in the Escherichia coli response to plumbagin challenge. J Biomed Sci. 2010;17:84 pubmed publisher..coli but not in the ?ygfZ mutant. Our results showed that the presence of ygfZ is not only critical for the E coli resistance to plumbagin but also facilitates the plumbagin degradation. ..
- Chou C, Tong L. Structural and biochemical studies on the regulation of biotin carboxylase by substrate inhibition and dimerization. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:24417-25 pubmed publisher..However, the mutation greatly disrupted the dimer interface and caused a large re-organization of the dimer. The structures of these new complexes have implications for the catalysis by BC. ..
- Fan H, Cox M, Li H. Developing single-molecule TPM experiments for direct observation of successful RecA-mediated strand exchange reaction. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e21359 pubmed publisher..In addition, the Brownian motion time-courses suggest that the strand exchange process progresses uni-directionally in the 5'-to-3' fashion, using a synapse segment with a wide and continuous size distribution. ..
- Murashko O, Kaberdin V, Lin Chao S. Membrane binding of Escherichia coli RNase E catalytic domain stabilizes protein structure and increases RNA substrate affinity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:7019-24 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that RNase E-membrane interaction enhances the rate of RNA processing and decay...
- Lin J, Lin W, Li S, Lin C, Hsu S. Evaluation of the antibacterial activity and biocompatibility for silver nanoparticles immobilized on nano silicate platelets. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2013;5:433-43 pubmed publisher..9%). PEU containing the same amount of free AgNPs did not display such an effect. Our results verify the better biosafety of the AgNPs/NSP hybrids and their polymer nanocomposites for further clinical use. ..
- Chen C, Fen S, Chung C, Yu S, Chien C, Wong H. Functions of VPA1418 and VPA0305 Catalase Genes in Growth of Vibrio parahaemolyticus under Oxidative Stress. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2016;82:1859-1867 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrated that katE1 encodes the chief functional catalase for detoxifying extrinsic H2O2 during logarithmic growth and that the function of these genes was influenced by incubation temperature. ..
- Chang C, Hu H, Tsai C, Wu W. The degradation of RcsA by ClpYQ(HslUV) protease in Escherichia coli. Microbiol Res. 2016;184:42-50 pubmed publisher..Thus, we conclude that RcsA is indeed proteolized by ClpYQ protease. ..
- Hsiao H, Chen Y, Chen H, Tu P, Chern Y. A critical role of astrocyte-mediated nuclear factor-?B-dependent inflammation in Huntington's disease. Hum Mol Genet. 2013;22:1826-42 pubmed publisher..Therapeutic interventions aimed at preventing neuronal inflammation may be an important strategy for treating HD...
- Chen H, Hsui F, Lin L, Ren C, Wu S. Coexpression, purification and characterization of the E and S subunits of coenzyme B(12) and B(6) dependent Clostridium sticklandii D-ornithine aminomutase in Escherichia coli. Eur J Biochem. 2004;271:4293-7 pubmed..coli, in vitro refolding of the enzyme employs a different folding mechanism. In both cases, the association of the S and E subunit is important for D-ornithine aminomutase to maintain an active conformation...
- Kuo T, Chuang S, Chang S, Liang P. Ligand specificities and structural requirements of two Tachypleus plasma lectins for bacterial trapping. Biochem J. 2006;393:757-66 pubmed..A model describing TPL-2 binding with LPS is proposed. These two plasma lectins that have different ligand specificities can be used for the detection and discrimination of bacteria and removal of endotoxins...
- Lin J, Sheih Y, Chang T, Chang N, Chang C, Shen C, et al. The interactions in the carboxyl terminus of human 4-hydroxyphenylpyruvate dioxygenase are critical to mediate the conformation of the final helix and the tail to shield the active site for catalysis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e69733 pubmed publisher..These results highlight the critical role of Q375 in orientating the tail and ensuring the conformation of the terminal ?-helix to maintain the integrity of the active site for catalysis. ..
- Yang Y, Ku C, Lin J, Shang S, Chiu C, Yeh K, et al. Impact of Extended-spectrum ?-lactamase-producing Escherichia coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae on the outcome of community-onset bacteremic urinary tract infections. J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 2010;43:194-9 pubmed publisher..Patients with bacteremic UTIs caused by ESBL-EK also have prolonged hospital stays and higher antibiotic costs. Early detection of ESBLs and appropriate antibiotic coverage are likely to shorten hospital stays and reduce medical costs. ..
- Chu C, Tseng C, Yueh P, Duan C, Liu J. Molecular cloning and characterization of a ?-glucanase from Piromyces rhizinflatus. J Biosci Bioeng. 2011;111:541-6 pubmed publisher..The results also proved that the high activity of CbhYW23-2 on crystalline cellulose makes it a promising candidate enzyme for biotechnological and industrial applications...
- Liu H, Chu Y, Tai J. Characterization of Trichomonas vaginalis virus proteins in the pathogenic protozoan T. vaginalis. Arch Virol. 1998;143:963-70 pubmed..These results suggest that the TVV-T1 genome is arranged into a cap-pol organization in a manner similar to that of viruses in family Totiviridae...
- Guo R, Ko T, Chou C, Shr H, Chu H, Tsai Y, et al. Preliminary X-ray diffraction analysis of octaprenyl pyrophosphate synthase crystals from Thermotoga maritima and Escherichia coli. Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2003;59:2265-8 pubmed..The asymmetric unit contains one dimer. An initial model with 280 residues per subunit has been built and refined to 2.28 A resolution. It shows mostly helical structure and resembles that of avian farnesyl pyrophosphate synthase. ..
- Hsu M, Yu T, Chou C, Fu H, Yang C, Wang A. Using Haloarcula marismortui bacteriorhodopsin as a fusion tag for enhancing and visible expression of integral membrane proteins in Escherichia coli. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e56363 pubmed publisher..This technology could facilitate the development of a high-throughput strategy to screen for conditions that improve the yield of correctly folded target membrane proteins. Other robust BRs can also be incorporated in this system...
- Chang C, Chang J, Chang H, Tsai W, Lo S. Positional importance of Pro53 adjacent to the Arg49-Gly50-Asp51 sequence of rhodostomin in binding to integrin alphaIIbbeta3. Biochem J. 2001;357:57-64 pubmed
- Pang T, Wang C, Hsu C, Chen M, Lin J. Exposure of single-stranded telomeric DNA causes G2/M cell cycle arrest in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:9318-21 pubmed..These results indicate that Gbp2p is involved in modulating telomere length. ..
- Yeh D, Wu C, Ho W, Cheng S, Lu I, Liu T, et al. Bacterial translocation after cirrhotic liver resection: a clinical investigation of 181 patients. J Surg Res. 2003;111:209-14 pubmed..Such patients had higher postoperative infectious and overall complication rates. Thus, avoidance of intraoperative blood transfusion is mandatory for cirrhotic liver resection. ..
- Tarn W, Hsu C, Huang K, Chen H, Kao H, Lee K, et al. Functional association of essential splicing factor(s) with PRP19 in a protein complex. EMBO J. 1994;13:2421-31 pubmed..At least three of these can interact directly with the PRP19 protein. We also show that the PRP19 protein itself is in an oligomeric form, which might be a prerequisite for its interaction with these proteins. ..
- Chang G, Satterlee J, Hsu R. Essential sulfhydryl group of malic enzyme from Escherichia coli. J Protein Chem. 1993;12:7-10 pubmed..The thiocyanoylated enzyme was insensitive to K+ stimulation, which suggested the essentiality of the sulfhydryl groups of the E. coli malic enzyme. ..
- Huang Z, Su W, Wang J, Wu H. Selective strand annealing and selective strand exchange promoted by the N-terminal domain of hepatitis delta antigen. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:5685-93 pubmed..These and other results suggest that hepatitis delta antigen may have a biological role as an RNA chaperone, modulating the folding of viral RNA for replication and transcription. ..
- Chang S, Ko T, Liang P, Wang A. Catalytic mechanism revealed by the crystal structure of undecaprenyl pyrophosphate synthase in complex with sulfate, magnesium, and triton. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:29298-307 pubmed publisher..These two Triton molecules may mimic the hydrocarbon moiety of the UPP product in the active site. Kinetic analysis indicated that a high concentration (>1%) of Triton inhibits the enzyme activity...
- Cheng Y, Shi Z, Doudeva L, Yang W, Chak K, Yuan H. High-resolution crystal structure of a truncated ColE7 translocation domain: implications for colicin transport across membranes. J Mol Biol. 2006;356:22-31 pubmed..The structural resemblance of group A and B colicins implies that the two groups of colicins may share a mechanistic connection during cellular import. ..
- Chiu W, Lin C, Chang C, Hsieh M, Wang A. Molecular characterization and expression of four cDNAs encoding sucrose synthase from green bamboo Bambusa oldhamii. New Phytol. 2006;170:53-63 pubmed
- Lin Z, Lee C, Chang H, Chang H. Antibacterial activities of tellurium nanomaterials. Chem Asian J. 2012;7:930-4 pubmed publisher..Compared to Ag nanoparticles that are commonly used as antibacterial reagents, Te NMs have higher antibacterial activity and lower toxicity. Thus, Te NMs hold great practical potential as a new and efficient antibacterial agent...
- Chen P, Hung C, Huang P, Chen J, Huang I, Chen W, et al. Characteristics of CTX-M Extended-Spectrum Î²-Lactamase-Producing Escherichia coli Strains Isolated from Multiple Rivers in Southern Taiwan. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2016;82:1889-1897 pubmed publisher..ESBL-producing E. coli ST131, the major clone causing community-acquired infections in Taiwan and worldwide, was not detected in river waters. ..
- Liu Y, Huang W, Huang T, Kunin C. Detection of antimicrobial activity in urine for epidemiologic studies of antibiotic use. J Clin Epidemiol. 1999;52:539-45 pubmed..4% and specificity of 94.9%. Detection of antimicrobial activity in urine is a promising method to determine antimicrobial drug use in epidemiologic studies, particularly in populations in which drug use history is unreliable. ..
- Huang Z, Chen A, Wu H. Characterization and application of the selective strand annealing activity of the N terminal domain of hepatitis delta antigen. FEBS Lett. 2004;578:345-50 pubmed..The property of NdAg identified in this study could be applied to improve the efficiency and specificity of dot blot hybridization under conditions of low stringency. ..
- Yang C, Liu W. Cloning and characterization of a maltotriose-producing alpha-amylase gene from Thermobifida fusca. J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol. 2007;34:325-30 pubmed..0 and 60 degrees C, respectively. The properties of purified amylase from the E. coli transformant are similar to that of an amylase purified from the original T. fusca NTU22. ..
- Cheng C, Chen F, Lu Y, Tzou S, Wang J, Kao C, et al. Expression of ?-glucuronidase on the surface of bacteria enhances activation of glucuronide prodrugs. Cancer Gene Ther. 2013;20:276-81 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that surface display of functional ?G on bacteria can enhance the hydrolysis of glucuronide prodrugs and may increase the effectiveness of BDEPT. ..
- Cheng J, Yang C, Cheng C, Wang Y, Huang N, Lu M. Characterization and functional study of Antrodia camphorata lipopolysaccharide. J Agric Food Chem. 2005;53:469-74 pubmed..These results show that LPS isolated from A. camphorata offers a novel therapeutic target for anti-inflammation against E. coli infection. ..
- Cheng Y, Yan F, Chang L. Taiwan cobra chymotrypsin inhibitor: cloning, functional expression and gene organization. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2005;1747:213-20 pubmed..atra chymotrypsin inhibitor and beta-bungarotoxin B1 chain genes was up to 83%. These findings strongly suggest that snake Kunitz/BPTI protease inhibitors and neurotoxic homologs may have originated from a common ancestor...
- Liu J, Ko W, Huang C, Liao C, Lu C, Chuang Y, et al. Agreement assessment of tigecycline susceptibilities determined by the disk diffusion and broth microdilution methods among commonly encountered resistant bacterial isolates: results from the Tigecycline In Vitro Surveillance in Taiwan (TIST) study, . Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012;56:1414-7 pubmed publisher..coli. For routine susceptibility testing of ESBL-producing K. pneumoniae and A. baumannii against tigecycline, the broth microdilution method should be used because of the poor correlation of results between these two methods. ..
- Chou C, Forouhar F, Yeh Y, Shr H, Wang C, Hsiao C. Crystal structure of the C-terminal 10-kDa subdomain of Hsc70. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:30311-6 pubmed..These findings suggest that the alpha-helical region of the 10-kDa subdomain dictates the chaperone self-association. ..
- Jao S, Huang L, Hwang S, Li W. Tyrosine 387 and arginine 404 are critical in the hydrolytic mechanism of Escherichia coli aminopeptidase P. Biochemistry. 2006;45:1547-53 pubmed..The hydrogen bond interaction between the Arg404 and the Tyr387 ring hydroxyl group is suggested by the reduced catalytic efficiency of the Y387F mutant. ..
- Chung Y, Chen C. Antibacterial characteristics and activity of acid-soluble chitosan. Bioresour Technol. 2008;99:2806-14 pubmed..The antibacterial activity of chitosan could be altered by blocking the amino functionality through coupling of the chitosan to active agarose derivatives. These results verify the status of chitosan as a natural bactericide. ..
- Chiu S, Chen S, Wong H. Dynamic localization of MreB in Vibrio parahaemolyticus and in the ectopic host bacterium Escherichia coli. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2008;74:6739-45 pubmed publisher..parahaemolyticus and its relationship to cell morphogenesis, and the YFP-MreB(Vp)-E. coli system may be used to investigate the dynamic spatial structures of the MreB cytoskeleton in vivo. ..
- Weng T, Wu H, Lin P, Liu S. Uropathogenic Escherichia coli-induced inflammation alters mouse urinary bladder contraction via an interleukin-6-activated inducible nitric oxide synthase-related pathway. Infect Immun. 2009;77:3312-9 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that IL-6 may play an important role in the iNOS/NO-triggered PKC-activated contractile response in urinary bladder during E. coli or LPS-induced inflammation. ..
- Huang Y, Hu R, Yang T. Role of the pcm-tolCsm operon in the multidrug resistance of Stenotrophomonas maltophilia. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2013;68:1987-93 pubmed publisher..The pcm-tolCsm operon makes a significant contribution to the multidrug resistance of S. maltophilia. ..
- Bessarab D, Kaberdin V, Wei C, Liou G, Lin Chao S. RNA components of Escherichia coli degradosome: evidence for rRNA decay. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:3157-61 pubmed..Our results, which provide evidence that decay of mature rRNAs occurs in growing Escherichia coli cells in the RNA degradosome, implicate RNase E in degradosome-mediated decay. ..
- Ma L, Ishii Y, Chang F, Yamaguchi K, Ho M, Siu L. CTX-M-14, a plasmid-mediated CTX-M type extended-spectrum beta-lactamase isolated from Escherichia coli. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2002;46:1985-8 pubmed..02 microM(-1) s(-1)) were observed in hydrolysis assays, indicating resistance to cefotaxime (MIC > or = 64 microg/ml) but susceptibility to ceftazidime (MIC < or = 2 microg/ml). ..
- Hu C, Lu S, Cheng C, Chen L, Liao T. Chicken deoxyribonuclease: purification, characterization, gene cloning and gene expression. J Protein Chem. 2003;22:41-9 pubmed..The cDNA was cloned into the pET15b expression vector. When induced, active recombinant chicken DNase was expressed in Escherichia coli strain BL21(DE3)pLysS and was present in the insoluble fraction of cell lysates. ..
- Lee Y, Sung A, Liu T, Lee Y. Combination of chromogenic differential medium and estA-specific PCR for isolation and detection of phytopathogenic Xanthomonas spp. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2009;75:6831-8 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, the combination of the Xan-D medium with the estA-specific PCR is a useful and reliable method for the isolation and detection of viable xanthomonad cells from plant materials. ..
- Pan Y, Liao C, Kuo C, Duan K, Liang P, Yuan H, et al. The critical roles of polyamines in regulating ColE7 production and restricting ColE7 uptake of the colicin-producing Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:13083-91 pubmed..coli under stress conditions in the natural environment. ..
- Shi Z, Yang W, Lin Chao S, Chak K, Yuan H. Crystal structure of Escherichia coli PNPase: central channel residues are involved in processive RNA degradation. RNA. 2008;14:2361-71 pubmed publisher..Taking these results together, we conclude that the constricted central channel and the basic-charged residues in the channel necks of PNPase play crucial roles in trapping RNA for processive exonucleolytic degradation. ..
- Singh D, Chang S, Lin P, Averina O, Kaberdin V, Lin Chao S. Regulation of ribonuclease E activity by the L4 ribosomal protein of Escherichia coli. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:864-9 pubmed publisher..Our finding that L4 can inhibit RNase E-dependent decay may account at least in part for the elevated production of stress-induced proteins during bacterial adaptation to adverse environments. ..
- Yang T, Sung Y, Lei G, Romeo T, Chak K. Posttranscriptional repression of the cel gene of the ColE7 operon by the RNA-binding protein CsrA of Escherichia coli. Nucleic Acids Res. 2010;38:3936-51 pubmed publisher..Thus, CsrA is a trans-acting modulator that downregulates the expression of lysis protein, which may confer a survival advantage on colicinogenic E. coli under environment stress conditions. ..
- Huang Y, Lin K, He R, Tu P, Koubek J, Hsu Y, et al. Inhibition of TDP-43 aggregation by nucleic acid binding. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e64002 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate an intimate relationship between the solubility of TDP-43 and its DNA or RNA binding affinity, which may shed light on the role of TDP-43 in ALS and FTLD. ..
- Chang C, Chou H, Chuang J, Chuang D, Huang T. Solution structure and dynamics of the lipoic acid-bearing domain of human mitochondrial branched-chain alpha-keto acid dehydrogenase complex. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:15865-73 pubmed..The results showed that residues surrounding the lipoyl lysine region comprising the L1 loop and the Lys(44) beta-turn are highly flexible, whereas beta-sheet S1 appears to display a slow conformational exchange process. ..
- Ma L, Lee S, Lee C, Yin S, Wang J. Molecular cloning and kinetic characterization of an aldehyde dehydrogenase gene in Klebsiella pneumoniae. J Formos Med Assoc. 2005;104:221-30 pubmed..6 mM). The expression of the aldA gene is higher in K. pneumoniae strains from patients with liver abscess. The aldA gene encodes functional ALDH and can use glycolaldehyde and glyceraldehydes as substrates. ..