Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on epididymis in Germany
- Pfuhlmann K, Pfluger P, Schriever S, Müller T, Tschop M, Stemmer K. Dual specificity phosphatase 6 deficiency is associated with impaired systemic glucose tolerance and reversible weight retardation in mice. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183488 pubmed publisher..Reasons for the discrepancies remain elusive, but may entail differential genetic backgrounds, environmental factors such as the type and source of HFD, or alterations in the gut microbiome between facilities. ..
- Saalmann A, Munz S, Ellerbrock K, Ivell R, Kirchhoff C. Novel sperm-binding proteins of epididymal origin contain four fibronectin type II-modules. Mol Reprod Dev. 2001;58:88-100 pubmed..The tandem arrangement of increasing numbers of Fn2-modules might functionally correspond to the tendency to form oligomers that has been described for lipid-binding proteins. ..
- von Horsten H, Derr P, Kirchhoff C. Novel antimicrobial peptide of human epididymal duct origin. Biol Reprod. 2002;67:804-13 pubmed
- Kirchhoff C, Osterhoff C, Samalecos A. HE6/GPR64 adhesion receptor co-localizes with apical and subapical F-actin scaffold in male excurrent duct epithelia. Reproduction. 2008;136:235-45 pubmed publisher..Comparable immunostaining patterns were observed in human and mouse; however, a specific feature of the human ductuli efferentes was an intense HE6/GPR64-related labelling of crypt-like grooves or furrows of hitherto unknown function. ..
- Aumuller G, Renneberg H, Schiemann P, Wilhelm B, Seitz J, Konrad L, et al. The role of apocrine released proteins in the post-testicular regulation of human sperm function. Adv Exp Med Biol. 1997;424:193-219 pubmed..Incubation of spermatozoa with seminosomes and the respective purified antiserum had no effect on sperm motility. This is in contradistinction to former reports on motility increase induced by the so-called prostasomes. ..
- Osterhoff C, Ivell R, Kirchhoff C. Cloning of a human epididymis-specific mRNA, HE6, encoding a novel member of the seven transmembrane-domain receptor superfamily. DNA Cell Biol. 1997;16:379-89 pubmed..The predicted extracellular amino-terminal extension, however, was much longer than in the other members, and showed similarity to highly glycosylated mucin-like cell-surface molecules. ..
- Wistuba J, Luetjens C, Ehmcke J, Redmann K, Damm O, Steinhoff A, et al. Experimental endocrine manipulation by contraceptive regimen in the male marmoset (Callithrix jacchus). Reproduction. 2013;145:439-51 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, marmosets showed a different response to regimens of male contraception from macaques or men and have to be considered as a problematic model for preclinical trials of male hormonal contraception...
- Xu Y, Yeung C, Setiawan I, Avram C, Biber J, Wagenfeld A, et al. Sodium-inorganic phosphate cotransporter NaPi-IIb in the epididymis and its potential role in male fertility studied in a transgenic mouse model. Biol Reprod. 2003;69:1135-41 pubmed
- Andersen O, Yeung C, Vorum H, Wellner M, Andreassen T, Erdmann B, et al. Essential role of the apolipoprotein E receptor-2 in sperm development. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:23989-95 pubmed
- Trefzger J, Ronai A, Wassmer B, von Deimling O. Genetically defined lysosomal acetylesterase EC 220.127.116.11 in the cauda epididymidis of mouse, rat, and man. Histochemistry. 1992;98:373-9 pubmed..1.1.6). Control experiments involving isoelectric focusing revealed that this acetylesterase was identical with the genetically defined homologues ES-17, ES-6, and ES-A4 in mouse, rat, and man, respectively. ..
- Cooper T. The epididymis, cytoplasmic droplets and male fertility. Asian J Androl. 2011;13:130-8 pubmed publisher..This may reflect their short midpiece, approximating head length, permitting a swollen droplet to extend along the entire midpiece; this not only obviates droplet migration and flagellar angulation but also hampers droplet loss. ..
- Schurmann A, Axer H, Scheepers A, Doege H, Joost H. The glucose transport facilitator GLUT8 is predominantly associated with the acrosomal region of mature spermatozoa. Cell Tissue Res. 2002;307:237-42 pubmed..This specific expression and localization of GLUT8 suggests that the transport facilitator plays a major role in the fuel supply of mature spermatozoa, and that it is a potential target for inhibition of sperm cell function. ..
- Yeung C, Pérez Sánchez F, Schroter S, Kirchhoff C, Cooper T. Changes of the major sperm maturation-associated epididymal protein HE5 (CD52) on human ejaculated spermatozoa during incubation. Mol Hum Reprod. 2001;7:617-24 pubmed
- Brand H, Kos M, Denger S, Flouriot G, Gromoll J, Gannon F, et al. A novel promoter is involved in the expression of estrogen receptor alpha in human testis and epididymis. Endocrinology. 2002;143:3397-404 pubmed
- Keilhack H, Muller M, Böhmer S, Frank C, Weidner K, Birchmeier W, et al. Negative regulation of Ros receptor tyrosine kinase signaling. An epithelial function of the SH2 domain protein tyrosine phosphatase SHP-1. J Cell Biol. 2001;152:325-34 pubmed..Overexpression of SHP-1 results in Ros dephosphorylation and effectively downregulates Ros-dependent proliferation and transformation. We propose that SHP-1 is an important downstream regulator of Ros signaling. ..
- Kirchhoff C, Pera I, Rust W, Ivell R. Major human epididymis-specific gene product, HE3, is the first representative of a novel gene family. Mol Reprod Dev. 1994;37:130-7 pubmed..RNase protection assays showed that both the HE3 alpha and HE3 beta, but not the HE3 gamma genes, are expressed in the human epididymis. ..
- Raczek S, Yeung C, Wagenfeld A, Hertle L, Schulze H, Cooper T. Epithelial monolayers from human epididymal and efferent duct tubules; testosterone metabolism and effects of culture conditions on cell height and confluence. Epithelial Cell Biol. 1994;3:126-36 pubmed..New serum-free media (especially those designed for keratinocytes and mammary epithelial cells) could maintain cultured cells at heights found in situ...
- Osterhoff C, Kirchhoff C, Krull N, Ivell R. Molecular cloning and characterization of a novel human sperm antigen (HE2) specifically expressed in the proximal epididymis. Biol Reprod. 1994;50:516-25 pubmed
- Kirchhoff C, Pera I, Derr P, Yeung C, Cooper T. The molecular biology of the sperm surface. Post-testicular membrane remodelling. Adv Exp Med Biol. 1997;424:221-32 pubmed..Its synthesis is carefully regulated by the cells of the epididymal epithelium, with temperature and androgens acting synergistically on CD52 mRNA levels. ..
- Beiglböck A, Pera I, Ellerbrock K, Kirchhoff C. Dog epididymis-specific mRNA encoding secretory glutathione peroxidase-like protein. J Reprod Fertil. 1998;112:357-67 pubmed..The effect was most obvious in the caput region of the abdominal organ where the mRNA encoding CE7 was almost completely downregulated. ..
- Pera I, Ivell R, Kirchhoff C. Regional variation of specific gene expression in the dog epididymis as revealed by in-situ transcript hybridization. Int J Androl. 1994;17:324-30 pubmed
- Saragusty J, Walzer C, Petit T, Stalder G, Horowitz I, Hermes R. Cooling and freezing of epididymal sperm in the common hippopotamus (Hippopotamus amphibius). Theriogenology. 2010;74:1256-63 pubmed publisher..Information obtained in this study allows initiation of cryobanking of sperm from the common hippopotamus which is of particular importance for genetically valuable individuals. ..
- Kirchhoff C, Osterhoff C, Young L. Molecular cloning and characterization of HE1, a major secretory protein of the human epididymis. Biol Reprod. 1996;54:847-56 pubmed..An antiserum raised against chimpanzee EPI-1 recognized human seminal plasma antigens of the same apparent molecular size. ..
- Wilhelm B, Brandenburger T, Post H, Aumüller G. Expression and localization of PMCA4 in rat testis and epididymis. Histochem Cell Biol. 2008;129:331-43 pubmed..In the caput epididymidis, where PMCA4 is located in the epithelium splice variant 4b was more prominent. Further experiments have to clarify the functional importance of the differences in the PMCA4 distribution. ..
- Wistuba J, Mittag J, Luetjens C, Cooper T, Yeung C, Nieschlag E, et al. Male congenital hypothyroid Pax8-/- mice are infertile despite adequate treatment with thyroid hormone. J Endocrinol. 2007;192:99-109 pubmed..It remains to be elucidated whether congenital hypothyroid male patients with mutations in the Pax8 gene are similarly affected. ..
- Cooper T, Yeung C. Approaches to post-testicular contraception. Asian J Androl. 1999;1:29-36 pubmed..Future contraceptive developments may arise from production of targeted inhibitors, research on the displacement of sperm proteins in the epididymis and interference with sperm plasma membrane ion channels. ..
- Kirchhoff C. Molecular characterization of epididymal proteins. Rev Reprod. 1998;3:86-95 pubmed..However, it remains to be established (for example, by using the proteins and their antibodies in functional tests) whether, besides being essential markers of sperm maturation, they are also functionally important. ..
- Yeung C, Breton S, Setiawan I, Xu Y, Lang F, Cooper T. Increased luminal pH in the epididymis of infertile c-ros knockout mice and the expression of sodium-hydrogen exchangers and vacuolar proton pump H+-ATPase. Mol Reprod Dev. 2004;68:159-68 pubmed..The increase in luminal fluid pH in the KO mice could also be contributed to by other epithelial regulating factors including the Na(+)-dependent glutamate transporter EAAC1 formerly reported to be down regulated in the KO. ..
- Cooper T, Wagenfeld A, Cornwall G, Hsia N, Chu S, Orgebin Crist M, et al. Gene and protein expression in the epididymis of infertile c-ros receptor tyrosine kinase-deficient mice. Biol Reprod. 2003;69:1750-62 pubmed..The changes in these genes could affect sperm function by modifying the composition of epididymal fluid and explain the infertility of the KO males. These genes may be targets for a posttesticular contraceptive. ..
- Meyer D, Hüppe T, Lock U, Hodek E, Friedrich M. Pronounced cystic transformation of the Rete testis. MRI appearance. Invest Radiol. 1999;34:600-3 pubmed..The authors present two pronounced cases in different stages, documenting the broad spectrum of possible involvement...
- Kappler Hanno K, Kirchhoff C. Rodent epididymal cDNAs identified by sequence homology to human and canine counterparts. Asian J Androl. 2003;5:277-86 pubmed..The novel rodent cDNAs can now be used to monitor epididymal gene expression more closely and to set up various regulatory and functional studies...
- Yeung C, Schroter S, Kirchhoff C, Cooper T. Maturational changes of the CD52-like epididymal glycoprotein on cynomolgus monkey sperm and their apparent reversal in capacitation conditions. Mol Reprod Dev. 2000;57:280-9 pubmed..In conclusion, the monkey epididymal secreted CD52 on sperm underwent changes in antigenic characteristics during sperm maturation which were reversed under capacitation conditions. ..
- Cooper T. Sperm maturation in the epididymis: a new look at an old problem. Asian J Androl. 2007;9:533-9 pubmed..Increased motility, zona binding and oolemma fusion capacities are also acquired within the epididymis and are necessary for those cells that finally arrive at the site of fertilization. ..
- Yeung C, Sonnenberg Riethmacher E, Cooper T. Receptor tyrosine kinase c-ros knockout mice as a model for the study of epididymal regulation of sperm function. J Reprod Fertil Suppl. 1998;53:137-47 pubmed..This finding has provided a starting point for further research to establish the link between abnormal epididymides and sterility. ..
- Vanselow J, Fürbass R. The bovine genome contains three differentially methylated paralogous copies of the P450c17 encoding gene (CYP17A1). Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2011;170:475-9 pubmed publisher..From these data we conclude that the bovine genome contains three paralogous copies of the CYP17A1 gene, of which two (CYP17A1b and CYP17A1x) might be silenced by epigenetic modification (promoter methylation). ..
- Yeung C, Sonnenberg Riethmacher E, Cooper T. Infertile spermatozoa of c-ros tyrosine kinase receptor knockout mice show flagellar angulation and maturational defects in cell volume regulatory mechanisms. Biol Reprod. 1999;61:1062-9 pubmed..The resultant flagellar angulation may account for the reduction in sperm numbers in the oviduct of mated females and the failure to fertilize in vivo. ..
- Wagenfeld A, Yeung C, Lehnert W, Nieschlag E, Cooper T. Lack of glutamate transporter EAAC1 in the epididymis of infertile c-ros receptor tyrosine-kinase deficient mice. J Androl. 2002;23:772-82 pubmed
- Xu Y, Wagenfeld A, Yeung C, Lehnert W, Cooper T. Expression and location of taurine transporters and channels in the epididymis of infertile c-ros receptor tyrosine kinase-deficient and fertile heterozygous mice. Mol Reprod Dev. 2003;64:144-51 pubmed..TauT and PLM may be involved in taurine regulation in the normal epididymis and the proximal accumulation of taurine in the infertile males. ..
- Peiser C, McGregor G, Lang R. Leptin receptor expression and suppressor of cytokine signaling transcript levels in high-fat-fed rats. Life Sci. 2000;67:2971-81 pubmed..It is concluded that high-caloric food intake per se is not sufficient to provoke suppression of leptin signaling via these factors in animals without genetic predisposition to obesity. ..
- Cooper T, Yeung C, Wagenfeld A, Nieschlag E, Poutanen M, Huhtaniemi I, et al. Mouse models of infertility due to swollen spermatozoa. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2004;216:55-63 pubmed..Further analysis could pinpoint genes essential for epididymal regulation of sperm volume, explain infertility and suggest modes of male contraception. ..
- Jurincic Winkler C, Metz K, Klippel K. Melanotic neuroectodermal tumor of infancy (MNTI) in the epididymis. A case report with immunohistological studies and special consideration of malignant features. Zentralbl Pathol. 1994;140:181-5 pubmed..The small tumor cells were only slightly positive for GFAP, NKI-C3, NSE, and S100 but they were negative for cytokeratin and vimentin. Neurofilament and chromogranin could not be proved in the tumor...
- Rashid S, Grzmil P, Drenckhahn J, Meinhardt A, Adham I, Engel W, et al. Disruption of the murine dynein light chain gene Tcte3-3 results in asthenozoospermia. Reproduction. 2010;139:99-111 pubmed publisher..Moreover, multiple malformations in developing haploid germ cells are present. Our results support a role of Tcte3-3 in generation of sperm motility as well as in male germ cell differentiation. ..
- Ellerbrock K, Pera I, Hartung S, Ivell R. Gene expression in the dog epididymis: a model for human epididymal function. Int J Androl. 1994;17:314-23 pubmed..Thus, the prerequisite criteria for the development of a system which models human epididymal physiology are to a large degree fulfilled by this canine culture system. ..
- Reisse S, Rothardt G, Volkl A, Beier K. Peroxisomes and ether lipid biosynthesis in rat testis and epididymis. Biol Reprod. 2001;64:1689-94 pubmed..The results suggest that peroxisomes in epithelial cells of the rat epididymis play a pivotal role in the biosynthesis of plasmalogens destined for delivery to the sperm plasma membrane. ..
- Brandenburger T, Strehler E, Filoteo A, Caride A, Aumüller G, Post H, et al. Switch of PMCA4 splice variants in bovine epididymis results in altered isoform expression during functional sperm maturation. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:7938-46 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that PMCA4a is transferred to bovine sperm membranes in cauda epididymidis. This isoform switch may facilitate a higher calcium turnover in sperm necessary to traverse the female genital tract. ..
- Ungefroren H, Ivell R, Ergun S. Region-specific expression of the androgen receptor in the human epididymis. Mol Hum Reprod. 1997;3:933-40 pubmed
- Obermann H, Samalecos A, Osterhoff C, Schröder B, Heller R, Kirchhoff C. HE6, a two-subunit heptahelical receptor associated with apical membranes of efferent and epididymal duct epithelia. Mol Reprod Dev. 2003;64:13-26 pubmed..Immunohistochemical studies revealed that both subunits were associated with apical membranes of efferent ductule and proximal epididymal duct epithelia. ..
- Triphan J, Aumüller G, Brandenburger T, Wilhelm B. Localization and regulation of plasma membrane Ca(2+)-ATPase in bovine spermatozoa. Eur J Cell Biol. 2007;86:265-73 pubmed..Co-immunoprecipitation studies, PDC-109 affinity chromatography as well as overlay blots failed to show a strong association of both PMCA and PDC-109, pointing to an indirect, perhaps phospholipid-mediated effect. ..
- Cooper T, Yeung C. Recent biochemical approaches to post-testicular, epididymal contraception. Hum Reprod Update. 1999;5:141-52 pubmed
- Wagenfeld A, Gromoll J, Cooper T. Molecular cloning and expression of rat contraception associated protein 1 (CAP1), a protein putatively involved in fertilization. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1998;251:545-9 pubmed..Northern blot hybridisation from different rat tissues indicated that CAP1 is encoded by a 1.6-kilobase RNA transcript and seems to be ubiquitiously expressed in the rat with a high level of expression in the testis. ..
- Kirchhoff C, Osterhoff C, Pera I, Schroter S. Function of human epididymal proteins in sperm maturation. Andrologia. 1998;30:225-32 pubmed