Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on enzyme activation in Belgium
Topic: enzyme activation
Publications133 found, 100 shown here
- Niesler C, Myburgh K, Moore F. The changing AMPK expression profile in differentiating mouse skeletal muscle myoblast cells helps confer increasing resistance to apoptosis. Exp Physiol. 2007;92:207-17 pubmed..Furthermore, these results suggest that when interpreting results from in vitro or in vivo experiments on AMPK, the subunit expression profile should be taken into account. ..
- Lamkanfi M. Emerging inflammasome effector mechanisms. Nat Rev Immunol. 2011;11:213-20 pubmed publisher..These non-canonical functions of caspase 1 illustrate the diverse mechanisms by which inflammasomes might contribute to innate immunity, repair responses and host defence. ..
- Leenaerts D, Bosmans J, Van der Veken P, Sim Y, Lambeir A, Hendriks D. Plasma levels of carboxypeptidase U (CPU, CPB2 or TAFIa) are elevated in patients with acute myocardial infarction. J Thromb Haemost. 2015;13:2227-32 pubmed publisher..AMI patients have higher plasma CPU levels and lower proCPU levels than controls. This finding indicates in vivo generation of functional active CPU in patients with AMI. ..
- Maenhaut C, Van Sande J, Libert F, Abramowicz M, Parmentier M, Vanderhaegen J, et al. RDC8 codes for an adenosine A2 receptor with physiological constitutive activity. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1990;173:1169-78 pubmed..RDC8 therefore codes for an A2 adenosine receptor. Whether the physiologically constitutive activation of this receptor is entirely explained by endogeneously produced adenosine is as yet unknown. ..
- Carpentier I, Coornaert B, Beyaert R. Smurf2 is a TRAF2 binding protein that triggers TNF-R2 ubiquitination and TNF-R2-induced JNK activation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;374:752-7 pubmed publisher..These results suggest an important role for Smurf2 binding to TRAF2 in determining specific signalling outputs of TNF-R2. ..
- De Vriendt V, De Roock W, Di Narzo A, Tian S, Biesmans B, Jacobs B, et al. DUSP 4 expression identifies a subset of colorectal cancer tumors that differ in MAPK activation, regardless of the genotype. Biomarkers. 2013;18:516-24 pubmed publisher..The use of DUSP expression as a predictive biomarker towards MAPK targeted therapy in CRC patients needs further investigation. ..
- Robberecht P, De Neef P, Gourlet P, Cauvin A, Coy D, Christophe J. Pharmacological characterization of the novel helodermin/VIP receptor present in human SUP-T1 lymphoma cell membranes. Regul Pept. 1989;26:117-26 pubmed..D-Ala1]peptide T and VIP-(10-28) did not recognize the binding site and did not inhibit, even at high concentration, VIP - or VIP analogue - stimulated adenylate cyclase activities. ..
- Volanti C, Hendrickx N, Van Lint J, Matroule J, Agostinis P, Piette J. Distinct transduction mechanisms of cyclooxygenase 2 gene activation in tumour cells after photodynamic therapy. Oncogene. 2005;24:2981-91 pubmed
- Belenghi B, Romero Puertas M, Vercammen D, Brackenier A, Inze D, Delledonne M, et al. Metacaspase activity of Arabidopsis thaliana is regulated by S-nitrosylation of a critical cysteine residue. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:1352-8 pubmed..This cysteine is absent in caspases and paracaspases but is conserved in all reported metacaspases. ..
- Nolan D, Rolin S, Rodriguez J, van den Abbeele J, Pays E. Slender and stumpy bloodstream forms of Trypanosoma brucei display a differential response to extracellular acidic and proteolytic stress. Eur J Biochem. 2000;267:18-27 pubmed
- Vanlandschoot P, Roobrouck A, Van Houtte F, Leroux Roels G. Recombinant HBsAg, an apoptotic-like lipoprotein, interferes with the LPS-induced activation of ERK-1/2 and JNK-1/2 in monocytes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;297:486-91 pubmed..Addition of rHBsAg to LPS-stimulated cells reduces TNFalpha mRNA levels, but does not affect phosphorylation of p65 NF-kappaB and p38 MAP kinase. Instead, a reduced phosphorylation of ERK-1/2 and JNK-1/2 MAP kinases is observed. ..
- Verlent I, Van Loey A, Smout C, Duvetter T, Hendrickx M. Purified tomato polygalacturonase activity during thermal and high-pressure treatment. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2004;86:63-71 pubmed..The amounts of monomer and small oligomers increased with increasing incubation times, whereas the amount of larger oligomers decreased due to further degradation. ..
- Block S, Gerkens P, Peulen O, Jolois O, Mingeot Leclercq M, De Pauw Gillet M, et al. Induction of apoptosis in human promyelocytic leukemia cells by a natural trachylobane diterpene. Anticancer Res. 2005;25:363-8 pubmed..We show here, for the first time, that a trachylobane diterpene is able to induce apoptosis in human promyelocytic leukemia cells via caspase-3 activation in a concentration-dependent manner. ..
- Van Kolen K, Gilany K, Moens L, Esmans E, Slegers H. P2Y12 receptor signalling towards PKB proceeds through IGF-I receptor cross-talk and requires activation of Src, Pyk2 and Rap1. Cell Signal. 2006;18:1169-81 pubmed
- Vercruysse L, Van Camp J, Morel N, Rouge P, Herregods G, Smagghe G. Ala-Val-Phe and Val-Phe: ACE inhibitory peptides derived from insect protein with antihypertensive activity in spontaneously hypertensive rats. Peptides. 2010;31:482-8 pubmed publisher..To the best of our knowledge this is the first report of in vivo antihypertensive activity of peptides derived from insect protein. ..
- Maes M, Dubois V, Brandt I, Lambeir A, Van der Veken P, Augustyns K, et al. Dipeptidyl peptidase 8/9-like activity in human leukocytes. J Leukoc Biol. 2007;81:1252-7 pubmed
- Dewil M, dela Cruz V, Van Den Bosch L, Robberecht W. Inhibition of p38 mitogen activated protein kinase activation and mutant SOD1(G93A)-induced motor neuron death. Neurobiol Dis. 2007;26:332-41 pubmed
- Boly R, Dessy S, Kohnen S, Kini F, Lompo M, Mouithys Mickalad A, et al. Modulatory activities of Agelanthus dodoneifolius (Loranthaceae) extracts on stimulated equine neutrophils and myeloperoxidase activity. Int J Mol Med. 2011;28:261-70 pubmed publisher..The results confirm the previously shown anti-inflammatory effect of Agelanthus dodoneifolius and its potential use for the treatment of neutrophil-dependent inflammatory diseases...
- Vantieghem A, Xu Y, Declercq W, Vandenabeele P, Denecker G, Vandenheede J, et al. Different pathways mediate cytochrome c release after photodynamic therapy with hypericin. Photochem Photobiol. 2001;74:133-42 pubmed..These observations suggest that the progression of the PDT-induced apoptotic process in Bcl-2-overexpressing cells involves a caspase-dependent feed-forward amplification loop for the release of cytochrome c. ..
- Decraene D, Agostinis P, Bouillon R, Degreef H, Garmyn M. Insulin-like growth factor-1-mediated AKT activation postpones the onset of ultraviolet B-induced apoptosis, providing more time for cyclobutane thymine dimer removal in primary human keratinocytes. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:32587-95 pubmed
- Klimaviciusa L, Jain R, Jaako K, Van Elzen R, Gerard M, Van der Veken P, et al. In situ prolyl oligopeptidase activity assay in neural cell cultures. J Neurosci Methods. 2012;204:104-110 pubmed publisher..The validated assay enables localization and quantification of in situ PREP activity in primary rat cortical neurons and neuroblastoma SH-SY5Y cells, as well allows testing cell permeability and efficiency of novel PREP inhibitors. ..
- Ghislain M, De Sadeleer M, Goffeau A. Altered plasma membrane H(+)-ATPase from the Dio-9-resistant pma1-2 mutant of Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Eur J Biochem. 1992;209:275-9 pubmed
- Bureau F, Desmet C, Mélotte D, Jaspar F, Volanti C, Vanderplasschen A, et al. A proinflammatory role for the cyclopentenone prostaglandins at low micromolar concentrations: oxidative stress-induced extracellular signal-regulated kinase activation without NF-kappa B inhibition. J Immunol. 2002;168:5318-25 pubmed
- Kwasigroch J, Wintjens R, Gilis D, Rooman M. SODa: an Mn/Fe superoxide dismutase prediction and design server. BMC Bioinformatics. 2008;9:257 pubmed publisher..SODa is shown to outperform and to be more discriminative than traditional techniques based on pairwise sequence alignments. Moreover, the fact that it proposes selected mutations makes it a valuable tool for rational protein design. ..
- Castermans D, Somers I, Kriel J, Louwet W, Wera S, Versele M, et al. Glucose-induced posttranslational activation of protein phosphatases PP2A and PP1 in yeast. Cell Res. 2012;22:1058-77 pubmed publisher..Our results provide novel insight into the complex regulatory role of these two major protein phosphatases in glucose regulation. ..
- Van Den Neste E, Smal C, Cardoen S, Delacauw A, Frankard J, Ferrant A, et al. Activation of deoxycytidine kinase by UV-C-irradiation in chronic lymphocytic leukemia B-lymphocytes. Biochem Pharmacol. 2003;65:573-80 pubmed..Suramin also suppressed the increase in DNA repair synthesis elicited by UV-C irradiation, suggesting that upregulation of dCK activity could contribute to the normal completion of DNA repair synthesis elicited by UV light. ..
- Aerts A, Carmona Gutierrez D, Lefevre S, Govaert G, Francois I, Madeo F, et al. The antifungal plant defensin RsAFP2 from radish induces apoptosis in a metacaspase independent way in Candida albicans. FEBS Lett. 2009;583:2513-6 pubmed publisher..Moreover, our data point to the existence of at least two different types of caspases or caspase-like proteases in C. albicans. ..
- Hendriks D, Wang W, Scharpe S, Lommaert M, van Sande M. Purification and characterization of a new arginine carboxypeptidase in human serum. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1990;1034:86-92 pubmed..These characteristics differentiate carboxypeptidase U from carboxypeptidase N and other known carboxypeptidases. ..
- Descamps F, Martens E, Kangave D, Struyf S, Geboes K, Van Damme J, et al. The activated form of gelatinase B/matrix metalloproteinase-9 is associated with diabetic vitreous hemorrhage. Exp Eye Res. 2006;83:401-7 pubmed..001) and strongly correlated with hemoglobin levels (r=0.7525; p<0.001). Activated MMP-9 was not detected in paired serum samples. We conclude that activated MMP-9 might be involved in hemorrhagic transformation in patients with PDR...
- Hermida N, Markl A, Hamelet J, Van Assche T, Vanderper A, Herijgers P, et al. HMGCoA reductase inhibition reverses myocardial fibrosis and diastolic dysfunction through AMP-activated protein kinase activation in a mouse model of metabolic syndrome. Cardiovasc Res. 2013;99:44-54 pubmed publisher..Statins have proven beneficial effects in MS, but their impact on cardiac remodelling is uncertain. We examined the effects and mechanisms of chronic statin treatment on cardiac remodelling, e.g. fibrosis and diastolic properties...
- Leurs J, Wissing B, Nerme V, Schatteman K, Bjorquist P, Hendriks D. Different mechanisms contribute to the biphasic pattern of carboxypeptidase U (TAFIa) generation during in vitro clot lysis in human plasma. Thromb Haemost. 2003;89:264-71 pubmed..Addition of a CPU inhibitor before initiation of clotting decreased the clot lysis time as expected. However, addition in the time period between the two peaks of CPU activity had no apparent effect on the clot lysis time. ..
- Vandooren J, Van Den Steen P, Opdenakker G. Biochemistry and molecular biology of gelatinase B or matrix metalloproteinase-9 (MMP-9): the next decade. Crit Rev Biochem Mol Biol. 2013;48:222-72 pubmed publisher..Such studies will better define conditions in which inhibition of MMP-9 is beneficial or has to be avoided. ..
- Beaulieu A, Poncin G, Belaid Choucair Z, Humblet C, Bogdanovic G, Lognay G, et al. Leptin reverts pro-apoptotic and antiproliferative effects of Î±-linolenic acids in BCR-ABL positive leukemic cells: involvement of PI3K pathway. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e25651 pubmed publisher..Leptin production was detected in the co-culture medium. In the presence of leptin, the effect of Î±-linolenic acid on proliferation, survival, OB-R and BCl-2 expression was reduced. ..
- Vantus T, Vertommen D, Saelens X, Rykx A, De Kimpe L, Vancauwenbergh S, et al. Doxorubicin-induced activation of protein kinase D1 through caspase-mediated proteolytic cleavage: identification of two cleavage sites by microsequencing. Cell Signal. 2004;16:703-9 pubmed..Our results indicate that doxorubicin-mediated apoptosis induces activation of PKD1 through a novel mechanism involving the caspase-mediated proteolysis. ..
- Vander Mierde D, Scheuner D, Quintens R, Patel R, Song B, Tsukamoto K, et al. Glucose activates a protein phosphatase-1-mediated signaling pathway to enhance overall translation in pancreatic beta-cells. Endocrinology. 2007;148:609-17 pubmed..Because defects in the pancreatic endoplasmic reticulum kinase-eIF2alpha signaling system lead to beta-cell failure and diabetes, deregulation of the PP1 system could likewise lead to cellular dysfunction and disease. ..
- Wang Q, Cai Y, Van De Casteele M, Pipeleers D, Ling Z. Interaction of glibenclamide and metformin at the level of translation in pancreatic ? cells. J Endocrinol. 2011;208:161-9 pubmed publisher..Glibenclamide antagonizes these metformin effects through activation of mTOR- and PKA-dependent signaling pathways. ..
- Communi D, Vanweyenberg V, Erneux C. D-myo-inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate 3-kinase A is activated by receptor activation through a calcium:calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II phosphorylation mechanism. EMBO J. 1997;16:1943-52 pubmed..In this study, direct evidence is provided for a novel regulation mechanism for Ins(1,4,5)P3 3-kinase (isoform A) in vitro and in intact cells. ..
- De Vos K, Severin F, Van Herreweghe F, Vancompernolle K, Goossens V, Hyman A, et al. Tumor necrosis factor induces hyperphosphorylation of kinesin light chain and inhibits kinesin-mediated transport of mitochondria. J Cell Biol. 2000;149:1207-14 pubmed..These data provide evidence for direct regulation of kinesin-mediated organelle transport by extracellular stimuli via cytokine receptor signaling pathways. ..
- Martinet W, Schrijvers D, Timmermans J, Bult H. Interactions between cell death induced by statins and 7-ketocholesterol in rabbit aorta smooth muscle cells. Br J Pharmacol. 2008;154:1236-46 pubmed publisher..This further illustrates that drug effects in normal SMCs are not necessarily predictive for activities in atherosclerotic settings. ..
- Denecker G, Vercammen D, Declercq W, Vandenabeele P. Apoptotic and necrotic cell death induced by death domain receptors. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2001;58:356-70 pubmed..Principal elements of necrosis include mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation, reactive oxygen production, and non-caspase proteolytic cascades depending on serine proteases, calpains, or cathepsins. ..
- Grobben B, Claes P, Van Kolen K, Roymans D, Fransen P, Sys S, et al. Agonists of the P2Y(AC)-receptor activate MAP kinase by a ras-independent pathway in rat C6 glioma. J Neurochem. 2001;78:1325-38 pubmed..We may conclude that P2Y(AC)-purinoceptor agonists activate MAP kinase through a G(i)-RhoA-PKC-raf-MEK-dependent, but ras- and Ca(2+)-independent cascade. ..
- Lippens S, Kockx M, Denecker G, Knaapen M, Verheyen A, Christiaen R, et al. Vitamin D3 induces caspase-14 expression in psoriatic lesions and enhances caspase-14 processing in organotypic skin cultures. Am J Pathol. 2004;165:833-41 pubmed..Our data indicate that caspase-14 plays an important role in terminal epidermal differentiation, and its absence may contribute to the psoriatic phenotype. ..
- Verrax J, Vanbever S, Stockis J, Taper H, Calderon P. Role of glycolysis inhibition and poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase activation in necrotic-like cell death caused by ascorbate/menadione-induced oxidative stress in K562 human chronic myelogenous leukemic cells. Int J Cancer. 2007;120:1192-7 pubmed..Due to the high energetic dependence of cancer cells on glycolysis, the impairment of such an essential pathway may explain the effectiveness of this combination to kill cancer cells. ..
- Lai Y, Kviklyte S, Vertommen D, Lantier L, Foretz M, Viollet B, et al. A small-molecule benzimidazole derivative that potently activates AMPK to increase glucose transport in skeletal muscle: comparison with effects of contraction and other AMPK activators. Biochem J. 2014;460:363-75 pubmed publisher..In summary, ex229 efficiently activated skeletal muscle AMPK and elicited metabolic effects in muscle appropriate for treating Type 2 diabetes by stimulating glucose uptake and increasing fatty acid oxidation. ..
- Paquet P, Nusgens B, Pierard G, Lapiere C. Gelatinases in drug-induced toxic epidermal necrolysis. Eur J Clin Invest. 1998;28:528-32 pubmed..This study emphasizes the potential role of MMP2 in the specific inflammatory reaction and reparation process in TEN skin. ..
- Pindon A, van Hecke G, Van Gompel P, Lesage A, Leysen J, Jurzak M. Differences in signal transduction of two 5-HT4 receptor splice variants: compound specificity and dual coupling with Galphas- and Galphai/o-proteins. Mol Pharmacol. 2002;61:85-96 pubmed
- Servais H, Van Der Smissen P, Thirion G, Van der Essen G, Van Bambeke F, Tulkens P, et al. Gentamicin-induced apoptosis in LLC-PK1 cells: involvement of lysosomes and mitochondria. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2005;206:321-33 pubmed..The present data provide temporal evidence that gentamicin causes apoptosis in LLC-PK1 with successive alteration of the permeability of lysosomes, triggering of the mitochondrial pathway, and activation of caspase-3. ..
- Verhelst K, Verstrepen L, Carpentier I, Beyaert R. I?B kinase ? (IKK?): a therapeutic target in inflammation and cancer. Biochem Pharmacol. 2013;85:873-80 pubmed publisher..In this review we will highlight the mechanisms by which IKK? impacts on signaling pathways involved in disease development and discuss its potential as a novel therapeutic target. ..
- Vanden Berghe T, Grootjans S, Goossens V, Dondelinger Y, Krysko D, Takahashi N, et al. Determination of apoptotic and necrotic cell death in vitro and in vivo. Methods. 2013;61:117-29 pubmed publisher..A particular problem in defining necrosis is that in the absence of phagocytosis, apoptotic cells become secondary necrotic and develop morphologic and biochemical features of primary necrosis. ..
- Parma J, Duprez L, Van Sande J, Cochaux P, Gervy C, Mockel J, et al. Somatic mutations in the thyrotropin receptor gene cause hyperfunctioning thyroid adenomas. Nature. 1993;365:649-51 pubmed..This shows that G-protein-coupled receptors are susceptible to constitutive activation by spontaneous somatic mutations and may thus behave as proto-oncogenes. ..
- Beschin A, Bilej M, Hanssens F, Raymakers J, Van Dyck E, Revets H, et al. Identification and cloning of a glucan- and lipopolysaccharide-binding protein from Eisenia foetida earthworm involved in the activation of prophenoloxidase cascade. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:24948-54 pubmed..These results suggest that the 42-kDa CCF-1 protein of E. foetida coelomic fluid likely plays a role in the protection of earthworms against microbes. ..
- de Diesbach P, Medts T, Carpentier S, D Auria L, Van Der Smissen P, Platek A, et al. Differential subcellular membrane recruitment of Src may specify its downstream signalling. Exp Cell Res. 2008;314:1465-79 pubmed publisher..Whether this model is applicable to c-Src remains to be examined. ..
- Hendriks D, Scharpe S, van Sande M, Lommaert M. Characterisation of a carboxypeptidase in human serum distinct from carboxypeptidase N. J Clin Chem Clin Biochem. 1989;27:277-85 pubmed..No activator of carboxypeptidase N was detectable in human serum. Ion-exchange chromatography on DEAE-cellulose confirms the presence of two different molecular forms of arginine carboxypeptidase activity. ..
- Longin S, Jordens J, Martens E, Stevens I, Janssens V, Rondelez E, et al. An inactive protein phosphatase 2A population is associated with methylesterase and can be re-activated by the phosphotyrosyl phosphatase activator. Biochem J. 2004;380:111-9 pubmed..We discuss a potential new function for PME-1 as an enzyme that stabilizes an inactivated pool of PP2A. ..
- Van der Plancken I, Van Remoortere M, Van Loey A, Hendrickx M. Trypsin inhibition activity of heat-denatured ovomucoid: a kinetic study. Biotechnol Prog. 2004;20:82-6 pubmed..6). The presence of the other egg white constituents decreased the heat stability of ovomucoid compared to that of the model system of ovomucoid in buffer, presumably by the formation of ovomucoid-lysozyme complexes in the former. ..
- Jansen S, Stefan C, Creemers J, Waelkens E, Van Eynde A, Stalmans W, et al. Proteolytic maturation and activation of autotaxin (NPP2), a secreted metastasis-enhancing lysophospholipase D. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:3081-9 pubmed..These novel insights in the maturation of NPP2 have also implications for the development of NPP2 inhibitors as potential anti-cancer agents. ..
- Van der Borght J, Desmet T, Soetaert W. Enzymatic production of ?-D-glucose-1-phosphate from trehalose. Biotechnol J. 2010;5:986-93 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, a production process for crystalline ?Glc1P is now available from the cheap substrates trehalose and inorganic phosphate...
- Langer I, Langlet C, Robberecht P. Effect of inactivating mutations on phosphorylation and internalization of the human VPAC2 receptor. J Mol Endocrinol. 2005;34:405-14 pubmed..The mutations studied also reduced both receptor phosphorylation and internalization in a manner that appeared directly linked to the alteration of Galphas and Galpha16 coupling. ..
- Mvumbi L, Stalmans W. High-affinity binding of glycogen-synthase phosphatase to glycogen particles in the liver. Role of glycogen in the inhibition of synthase phosphatase by phosphorylase a. Biochem J. 1987;246:367-74 pubmed..25 mg/ml, and virtually complete at 1 mg/ml. These findings explain long-standing observations that in fasted animals the liver contains appreciable amounts of both synthase and phosphorylase in the active form. ..
- Sonveaux P, Brouet A, Havaux X, Gregoire V, Dessy C, Balligand J, et al. Irradiation-induced angiogenesis through the up-regulation of the nitric oxide pathway: implications for tumor radiotherapy. Cancer Res. 2003;63:1012-9 pubmed..Moreover, our demonstration that the inhibition of NO production suppresses these provascular effects of irradiation highlights new potentials for the coordinated use of antiangiogenic strategies and radiotherapy in clinical practice. ..
- Van Huffel S, Delaei F, Heyninck K, De Valck D, Beyaert R. Identification of a novel A20-binding inhibitor of nuclear factor-kappa B activation termed ABIN-2. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:30216-23 pubmed..These results indicate that ABIN-2 interferes with NF-kappaB activation upstream of the IKK complex and that it might contribute to the NF-kappaB-inhibitory function of A20. ..
- Bourges A, Torres Montaguth O, Ghosh A, Tadesse W, Declerck N, Aertsen A, et al. High pressure activation of the Mrr restriction endonuclease in Escherichia coli involves tetramer dissociation. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:5323-5332 pubmed publisher..HhaII triggers Mrr activity by creating high affinity target sites on the chromosome, which pull the equilibrium from inactive tetrameric Mrr toward active dimer. ..
- Robberecht P, De Neef P, Waelbroeck M, Camus J, Scemama J, Fourmy D, et al. Secretin receptors in human pancreatic membranes. Pancreas. 1988;3:529-35 pubmed
- Allgeier A, Offermanns S, Van Sande J, Spicher K, Schultz G, Dumont J. The human thyrotropin receptor activates G-proteins Gs and Gq/11. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:13733-5 pubmed..These data strongly suggest the concept that phospholipase C and adenylyl cyclase activation through the TSH receptor are mediated by Gq/11 and Gs, respectively. ..
- Sakalihasan N, Delvenne P, Nusgens B, Limet R, Lapiere C. Activated forms of MMP2 and MMP9 in abdominal aortic aneurysms. J Vasc Surg. 1996;24:127-33 pubmed..This latter parameter positively correlated with the inflammatory score. The presence of activated MMP9 and MMP2 might contribute to the degradation of the extracellular matrix proteins that occurs during the development of aneurysms. ..
- Van Hoof C, Janssens V, Dinishiotu A, Merlevede W, Goris J. Functional analysis of conserved domains in the phosphotyrosyl phosphatase activator. Molecular cloning of the homologues from Drosophila melanogaster and Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochemistry. 1998;37:12899-908 pubmed..Moreover, we observed that PTPA truncated at glycine266 behaves as a dominant negative mutant since it is inhibitory to the wild-type PTPA. ..
- van Loo G, van Gurp M, Depuydt B, Srinivasula S, Rodriguez I, Alnemri E, et al. The serine protease Omi/HtrA2 is released from mitochondria during apoptosis. Omi interacts with caspase-inhibitor XIAP and induces enhanced caspase activity. Cell Death Differ. 2002;9:20-6 pubmed..We demonstrate an interaction between endogeneous Omi and recombinant XIAP. Furthermore we show that endogenous Omi is involved in enhanced activation of caspases in cytosolic extracts. ..
- Marsin A, Bouzin C, Bertrand L, Hue L. The stimulation of glycolysis by hypoxia in activated monocytes is mediated by AMP-activated protein kinase and inducible 6-phosphofructo-2-kinase. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:30778-83 pubmed..It is concluded that the stimulation of glycolysis by hypoxia in activated monocytes requires the phosphorylation and activation of iPFK-2 by AMPK. ..
- Lejeune D, Dumoutier L, Constantinescu S, Kruijer W, Schuringa J, Renauld J. Interleukin-22 (IL-22) activates the JAK/STAT, ERK, JNK, and p38 MAP kinase pathways in a rat hepatoma cell line. Pathways that are shared with and distinct from IL-10. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:33676-82 pubmed..Finally, by overexpressing a STAT3 S727A mutant, we showed that serine phosphorylation is required to achieve maximum transactivation of a STAT responsive promoter upon IL-22 stimulation. ..
- Xu Y, Feller G, Gerday C, Glansdorff N. Moritella cold-active dihydrofolate reductase: are there natural limits to optimization of catalytic efficiency at low temperature?. J Bacteriol. 2003;185:5519-26 pubmed..The kinetic features of this psychrophilic protein suggest that enzyme adaptation to low temperature may be constrained by natural limits to optimization of catalytic efficiency...
- Toth Zsamboki E, Oury C, Cornelissen H, De Vos R, Vermylen J, Hoylaerts M. P2X1-mediated ERK2 activation amplifies the collagen-induced platelet secretion by enhancing myosin light chain kinase activation. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:46661-7 pubmed..Hence, the P2X1-ERK2-MLC axis contributes to collagen-induced platelet activation by enhancing platelet degranulation. ..
- Nassogne M, Lizarraga C, N kuli F, Van Bambeke F, Van Binst R, Wallemacq P, et al. Cocaine induces a mixed lysosomal lipidosis in cultured fibroblasts, by inactivation of acid sphingomyelinase and inhibition of phospholipase A1. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2004;194:101-10 pubmed..Together, these data show that acidotropic accumulation of cocaine in lysosomes rapidly inhibits acid phospholipase A1 and inactivates acid sphingomyelinase, which can explain induction of a mixed lysosomal lipidosis. ..
- Descamps F, Martens E, Ballaux F, Geboes K, Opdenakker G. In vivo activation of gelatinase B/MMP-9 by trypsin in acute pancreatitis is a permissive factor in streptozotocin-induced diabetes. J Pathol. 2004;204:555-61 pubmed..In conclusion, gelatinase B itself is not a causative factor but, when activated by endogenous trypsin, is a permissive factor for insulin degradation and diabetes. ..
- Jansen S, Callewaert N, Dewerte I, Andries M, Ceulemans H, Bollen M. An essential oligomannosidic glycan chain in the catalytic domain of autotaxin, a secreted lysophospholipase-D. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:11084-91 pubmed..Our study defines an essential role for the Asn-524-linked glycan chain of NPP2. ..
- Chanteux H, Guisset A, Pilette C, Sibille Y. LPS induces IL-10 production by human alveolar macrophages via MAPKinases- and Sp1-dependent mechanisms. Respir Res. 2007;8:71 pubmed..This study further points to Sp-1 as a key signalling pathway for IL-10 expression in the lung. ..
- Franssens V, Simonet G, Breugelmans B, Van Soest S, van Hoef V, Vanden Broeck J. The role of hemocytes, serine protease inhibitors and pathogen-associated patterns in prophenoloxidase activation in the desert locust, Schistocerca gregaria. Peptides. 2008;29:235-41 pubmed publisher..On the other hand, real-time PCR analysis revealed that the transcripts, encoding SGPI-1-3, were more abundant in the fat body of immune challenged animals, as compared to control animals. ..
- Dusa A, Staerk J, Elliott J, Pecquet C, Poirel H, Johnston J, et al. Substitution of pseudokinase domain residue Val-617 by large non-polar amino acids causes activation of JAK2. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:12941-8 pubmed publisher..We discuss how the predicted conformations of the activated JAK2 mutants can lead to better screening assays for novel small molecule inhibitors. ..
- Staal J, Driege Y, Bekaert T, Demeyer A, Muyllaert D, Van Damme P, et al. T-cell receptor-induced JNK activation requires proteolytic inactivation of CYLD by MALT1. EMBO J. 2011;30:1742-52 pubmed publisher..These results indicate a novel role for MALT1 proteolytic activity in TCR-induced JNK activation and reveal CYLD cleavage as the underlying mechanism. ..
- Van Hoof C, Cayla X, Bosch M, Merlevede W, Goris J. The phosphotyrosyl phosphatase activator of protein phosphatase 2A. A novel purification method, immunological and enzymic characterization. Eur J Biochem. 1994;226:899-907 pubmed..Mg, a necessary cofactor in the activation process. Interaction of PTPA with PP2A in a 1:1 ratio induces a low (kcat = 3 min-1) ATPase activity that is inhibited by okadaic acid, ADP and non-hydrolysable ATP analogues. ..
- Lijnen H, Van Hoef B, Collen D. Characterization of the murine plasminogen/urokinase-type plasminogen-activator system. Eur J Biochem. 1996;241:840-8 pubmed..However, quantitative differences were observed both in the presence of cells and in plasma which may contribute to a reduced u-PA-mediated fibrinolytic activity in the murine systems. ..
- Barge R, Willemze R, Vandenabeele P, Fiers W, Beyaert R. Differential involvement of caspases in apoptosis of myeloid leukemic cells induced by chemotherapy versus growth factor withdrawal. FEBS Lett. 1997;409:207-10 pubmed..In contrast, DEVD-fmk as well as ZVAD-fmk protect 32D cells from ActD-induced apoptosis. These results indicate that different caspases are involved in apoptosis induced by growth factor withdrawal and by chemotherapy. ..
- Vercammen D, Beyaert R, Denecker G, Goossens V, van Loo G, Declercq W, et al. Inhibition of caspases increases the sensitivity of L929 cells to necrosis mediated by tumor necrosis factor. J Exp Med. 1998;187:1477-85 pubmed..These results indicate an involvement of caspases in protection against TNF-induced formation of oxygen radicals and necrosis. ..
- Heyninck K, De Valck D, Vanden Berghe W, Van Criekinge W, Contreras R, Fiers W, et al. The zinc finger protein A20 inhibits TNF-induced NF-kappaB-dependent gene expression by interfering with an RIP- or TRAF2-mediated transactivation signal and directly binds to a novel NF-kappaB-inhibiting protein ABIN. J Cell Biol. 1999;145:1471-82 pubmed
- Saelens X, Kalai M, Vandenabeele P. Translation inhibition in apoptosis: caspase-dependent PKR activation and eIF2-alpha phosphorylation. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:41620-8 pubmed..Our results demonstrate a new and caspase-dependent activation mode for PKR, leading to eIF2-alpha phosphorylation and translation inhibition in apoptosis. ..
- Giots F, Donaton M, Thevelein J. Inorganic phosphate is sensed by specific phosphate carriers and acts in concert with glucose as a nutrient signal for activation of the protein kinase A pathway in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Microbiol. 2003;47:1163-81 pubmed
- Seubert N, Royer Y, Staerk J, Kubatzky K, Moucadel V, Krishnakumar S, et al. Active and inactive orientations of the transmembrane and cytosolic domains of the erythropoietin receptor dimer. Mol Cell. 2003;12:1239-50 pubmed..The active and inactive conformations were independently identified by computational searches for low-energy TM dimeric structures. We propose a specific EpoR-activated interface and suggest its use for structural and signaling studies. ..
- Lamkanfi M, Kalai M, Saelens X, Declercq W, Vandenabeele P. Caspase-1 activates nuclear factor of the kappa-enhancer in B cells independently of its enzymatic activity. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:24785-93 pubmed..These data demonstrate that caspase-1 contributes to inflammation by two distinct pathways: proteolysis of pro-IL-1beta, and RIP2-dependent activation of NF-kappaB and p38 MAPK mediated by the caspase recruitment domain. ..
- Staerk J, Kallin A, Demoulin J, Vainchenker W, Constantinescu S. JAK1 and Tyk2 activation by the homologous polycythemia vera JAK2 V617F mutation: cross-talk with IGF1 receptor. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:41893-9 pubmed..We suggest that mutations in the JAK1 and Tyk2 genes may be identified as initial molecular defects in human cancers and autoimmune diseases. ..
- Bockstaele L, Kooken H, Libert F, Paternot S, Dumont J, De Launoit Y, et al. Regulated activating Thr172 phosphorylation of cyclin-dependent kinase 4(CDK4): its relationship with cyclins and CDK "inhibitors". Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:5070-85 pubmed..Collectively, these unexpected observations indicate that CDK4-activating kinase(s) should be reconsidered. ..
- Steuve S, Devosse T, Lauwers E, Vanderwinden J, Andre B, Courtoy P, et al. Rhophilin-2 is targeted to late-endosomal structures of the vesicular machinery in the presence of activated RhoB. Exp Cell Res. 2006;312:3981-9 pubmed..As for its yeast homologue, Npi3/Bro1p, the Bro1 domain of rhophilin-2 is necessary to its recruitment to the vesicular structures, which are not labeled for EEA1 nor Lamp1, but well with the late endosome marker CD63. ..