Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on environmental monitoring in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: environmental monitoring
Publications373 found, 100 shown here
- Brady M, Evans J, Cuartas J. Survival and disinfection of parainfluenza viruses on environmental surfaces. Am J Infect Control. 1990;18:18-23 pubmed
- Chen P, Richardson S, Krasner S, Majetich G, Glish G. Hydrogen abstraction and decomposition of bromopicrin and other trihalogenated disinfection byproducts by GC/MS. Environ Sci Technol. 2002;36:3362-71 pubmed..The extent of H/Br exchange was found to depend on the mass spectrometer ion source temperature, and it is proposed that the internal surface of the ion source is involved in this process...
- Davis M, Laden F, Hart J, Garshick E, Blicharz A, Smith T. Predicting changes in PM exposure over time at U.S. trucking terminals using structural equation modeling techniques. J Occup Environ Hyg. 2009;6:396-403 pubmed publisher..Once accounting for systematic prediction errors in background concentrations, the SEM approach provided a strong fit for work-related exposures in this occupational setting. ..
- Um W, Wang Z, Serne R, Williams B, Brown C, Dodge C, et al. Uranium phases in contaminated sediments below Hanford's U tank farm. Environ Sci Technol. 2009;43:4280-6 pubmed
- Satish U, Mendell M, Shekhar K, Hotchi T, Sullivan D, STREUFERT S, et al. Is CO2 an indoor pollutant? Direct effects of low-to-moderate CO2 concentrations on human decision-making performance. Environ Health Perspect. 2012;120:1671-7 pubmed publisher..Direct adverse effects of CO2 on human performance may be economically important and may limit energy-saving reductions in outdoor air ventilation per person in buildings. Confirmation of these findings is needed. ..
- Hahn T, Cummings K, Michalek A, Lipman B, Segal B, McCarthy P. Efficacy of high-efficiency particulate air filtration in preventing aspergillosis in immunocompromised patients with hematologic malignancies. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2002;23:525-31 pubmed
- Wang H, Kim Y, Liu H, Zhu Z, Bamrungsap S, Tan W. Engineering a unimolecular DNA-catalytic probe for single lead ion monitoring. J Am Chem Soc. 2009;131:8221-6 pubmed publisher..Given this degree of sensitivity and selectivity, our new probe design may prove useful in the development of other nucleic acid-based probes for intracellular, toxicological, and environmental monitoring. ..
- Cisneros R, Bytnerowicz A, Schweizer D, Zhong S, Traina S, Bennett D. Ozone, nitric acid, and ammonia air pollution is unhealthy for people and ecosystems in southern Sierra Nevada, California. Environ Pollut. 2010;158:3261-71 pubmed publisher..The U.S., California, and European 8 h O3 human health standards were exceeded during 104, 108, and 114 days respectively, indicating high risk to humans from ambient O3...
- Long E, Dutch M, Weakland S, Chandramouli B, Benskin J. Quantification of pharmaceuticals, personal care products, and perfluoroalkyl substances in the marine sediments of Puget Sound, Washington, USA. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2013;32:1701-10 pubmed publisher..5 ng/g). Detected concentrations were often highest within the industrial harbor in Bellingham Bay and near the cities of Seattle and Bremerton. Environ Toxicol Chem 2013;32:1701-1710. © 2013 SETAC. ..
- Wittkopp S, Staimer N, Tjoa T, STINCHCOMBE T, Daher N, Schauer J, et al. Nrf2-related gene expression and exposure to traffic-related air pollution in elderly subjects with cardiovascular disease: An exploratory panel study. J Expo Sci Environ Epidemiol. 2016;26:141-9 pubmed publisher..Findings suggest that NFE2L2 gene expression links associations of traffic-related air pollution with phase I and II enzyme genes at the promoter transcription level. ..
- Orlando E, Kolok A, Binzcik G, Gates J, Horton M, Lambright C, et al. Endocrine-disrupting effects of cattle feedlot effluent on an aquatic sentinel species, the fathead minnow. Environ Health Perspect. 2004;112:353-8 pubmed..Future studies are needed to further investigate the effects of agricultural runoff and to identify the biologically active agents, whether natural or pharmaceutical in origin. ..
- Kunisue T, Chen Z, Buck Louis G, Sundaram R, Hediger M, Sun L, et al. Urinary concentrations of benzophenone-type UV filters in U.S. women and their association with endometriosis. Environ Sci Technol. 2012;46:4624-32 pubmed publisher..65; 95% CI = 1.07, 2.53). Given that 2,4OH-BP possesses an estrogenic activity higher than that of 2OH-4MeO-BP, our results invite the speculation that exposure to elevated 2,4OH-BP levels may be associated with endometriosis. ..
- Dibble K, Meyerson L. Tidal flushing restores the physiological condition of fish residing in degraded salt marshes. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e46161 pubmed publisher..Results indicate that F. heteroclitus residing in physically and hydrologically altered marshes are at a disadvantage relative to fish in reference marshes but the effects can be reversed through ecological restoration. ..
- Jiang W, Gan J. Conversion of pesticides to biologically active products on urban hard surfaces. Sci Total Environ. 2016;556:63-9 pubmed publisher..The study findings highlight the role of urban pavements and urbanization in the geochemical cycling of anthropogenic contaminants. ..
- Horstman S, Browning S, Szeluga R, Burzycki J, Stebbins A. Solvent exposures in screen printing shops. J Environ Sci Health A Tox Hazard Subst Environ Eng. 2001;36:1957-73 pubmed..Frequent skin contact with solvents was also observed. Health problems in this industry and other small industries using organic solvents may result from these complex patterns of exposure. ..
- Awawdeh A, Harmon H. Spectrophotometric detection of pentachlorophenol (PCP) in water using immobilized and water-soluble porphyrins. Biosens Bioelectron. 2005;20:1595-601 pubmed..The immobilized TPPS1 on the Kimwipe will make it possible to develop a wiping sensors to monitor the PCP or other pesticides residues on the vegetables or wood products. ..
- Boyanapalli R, Bullerjahn G, Pohl C, Croot P, Boyd P, McKay R. Luminescent whole-cell cyanobacterial bioreporter for measuring Fe availability in diverse marine environments. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2007;73:1019-24 pubmed..Parallel assessment of dissolved Fe and bioreporter response confirmed that direct chemical measurements of dissolved Fe should not be considered alone when assessing Fe availability to phytoplankton. ..
- Hunter W, Xu Y, Spurlock F, Gan J. Using disposable polydimethylsiloxane fibers to assess the bioavailability of permethrin in sediment. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2008;27:568-75 pubmed..Consequently selective methods such as PDMS fibers yield improved estimates of bioaccumulation and toxicity as such methods detect freely dissolved permethrin concentrations in the sediment. ..
- de Koff J, Lee B, Dungan R, Santini J. Effect of compost-, sand-, or gypsum-amended waste foundry sands on turfgrass yield and nutrient content. J Environ Qual. 2010;39:375-83 pubmed publisher..99) and tall fescue (r = 0.95). A compost blend containing 40% WFS was determined to be the optimal amendment for the reuse of WFS because it incorporated the greatest possible amount of WFS without major reduction in turfgrass growth...
- Hun D, Corsi R, Morandi M, Siegel J. Formaldehyde in residences: long-term indoor concentrations and influencing factors. Indoor Air. 2010;20:196-203 pubmed publisher..Consequently, other alternatives need to be promoted such as decreasing the amount of pressed-wood products with urea-formaldehyde (UF) resins in homes or reducing the UF content in these materials. ..
- Middleton A, Kauffman M, McWhirter D, Cook J, Cook R, Nelson A, et al. Animal migration amid shifting patterns of phenology and predation: lessons from a Yellowstone elk herd. Ecology. 2013;94:1245-56 pubmed
- Richards J, Reif R, Luo Y, Gan J. Distribution of pesticides in dust particles in urban environments. Environ Pollut. 2016;214:290-298 pubmed publisher..Results from this study highlight the widespread occurrence of pesticides in outdoor dust around homes and the potential contribution to downstream surface water contamination via rain-induced runoff. ..
- Daniels W, Zipper C, Orndorff Z, Skousen J, Barton C, McDonald L, et al. Predicting total dissolved solids release from central Appalachian coal mine spoils. Environ Pollut. 2016;216:371-379 pubmed publisher..Overall TDS release risk can be accurately predicted by a combination of rock typeÂ +Â S content, weathering extent, and simple rapid SC lab measurements. ..
- Knoerr S, Durham J, McNett D. Development of collection, storage and analysis procedures for the quantification of cyclic volatile methylsiloxanes in wastewater treatment plant effluent and influent. Chemosphere. 2017;182:114-121 pubmed publisher..Additionally a robust quality control program was employed to ensure sample integrity. The method described herein can readily be adopted for use in monitoring studies where the amount of cVMS in water samples will be quantified. ..
- Roberts S, Weimar W, Vinson J, Munson J, Bergeron R. Measurement of arsenic bioavailability in soil using a primate model. Toxicol Sci. 2002;67:303-10 pubmed..7 +/- 3.2% for the five soil samples. These observations, coupled with data in the literature, suggest limited oral bioavailability of arsenic in soils from a variety of types of arsenic-contaminated sites. ..
- Day R, Keller J, Harms C, Segars A, Cluse W, Godfrey M, et al. Comparison of mercury burdens in chronically debilitated and healthy loggerhead sea turtles (Caretta caretta). J Wildl Dis. 2010;46:111-7 pubmed..These findings suggest that Hg toxicity does not play a role in the debilitated loggerhead condition observed in the southeastern United States. ..
- Meyer J, Adams W. Relationship between biotic ligand model-based water quality criteria and avoidance and olfactory responses to copper by fish. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2010;29:2096-103 pubmed publisher..However, the U.S. EPA's hardness-based criteria for Cu sometimes were considerably underprotective and sometimes were much less protective than the BLM-based criteria. ..
- Basu N, Tutino R, Zhang Z, Cantonwine D, Goodrich J, Somers E, et al. Mercury levels in pregnant women, children, and seafood from Mexico City. Environ Res. 2014;135:63-9 pubmed publisher..S., Canada, and elsewhere. In particular, mercury levels in 29-39% of the maternal participants exceeded the biomonitoring guideline associated with the U.S. EPA reference dose for mercury. ..
- Weeks J. The fox guarding the chicken coop: monitoring exposure to respirable coal mine dust, 1969-2000. Am J Public Health. 2003;93:1236-44 pubmed..Several important themes common to the practice of occupational health are illustrated; most prominently, that employers should not be expected to regulate themselves. ..
- Ankley G, Kuehl D, Kahl M, Jensen K, Linnum A, Leino R, et al. Reproductive and developmental toxicity and bioconcentration of perfluorooctanesulfonate in a partial life-cycle test with the fathead minnow (Pimephales promelas). Environ Toxicol Chem. 2005;24:2316-24 pubmed
- Batt A, Bruce I, Aga D. Evaluating the vulnerability of surface waters to antibiotic contamination from varying wastewater treatment plant discharges. Environ Pollut. 2006;142:295-302 pubmed..Ciprofloxacin, sulfamethoxazole, and clindamycin (0.043 to 0.076 microg/L) were found as far as 100 m from the discharge point, which indicates the persistence of these drugs in surface waters. ..
- Bruce E, Korpalski S, Johnson D, Klonne D, Nagel W, Holden L, et al. Effect of dislodging techniques on foliar residue determination for agricultural crops. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol. 2006;50:138-43 pubmed..The results indicated that three of the techniques gave similar results, whereas a fourth gave marginally lower results...
- Uchimiya M, Liu Z, Sistani K. Field-scale fluorescence fingerprinting of biochar-borne dissolved organic carbon. J Environ Manage. 2016;169:184-90 pubmed publisher..Developed toluene/methanol-based EEM-PARAFAC technique will provide a sensitive, rapid, and cost-competitive method to validate the long-term carbon sequestration by the biochar soil amendment. ..
- Venier M, Salamova A, Hites R. Temporal trends of persistent organic pollutant concentrations in precipitation around the Great Lakes. Environ Pollut. 2016;217:143-8 pubmed publisher..8 for the chlordanes, and 8.4Â Â±Â 0.6 for the endosulfans. In general, the halving times calculated from precipitation concentrations agree with those calculated from atmospheric vapor and particle phase concentrations. ..
- Weis J, Samson J, Zhou T, Skurnick J, Weis P. Evaluating prey capture by larval mummichogs (Fundulus heteroclitus) as a potential biomarker for contaminants. Mar Environ Res. 2003;55:27-38 pubmed..This implies that larval prey capture is not as sensitive a behavioral biomarker for contamination as adult behavior studied previously. ..
- Pang Y, Gundel L, Larson T, Finn D, Liu L, Claiborn C. Development and evaluation of a personal particulate organic and mass sampler. Environ Sci Technol. 2002;36:5205-10 pubmed..The PPOMS design can also simplify accurate ambient sampling for PM2.5. ..
- DeRamus H, Clement T, Giampola D, Dickison P. Methane emissions of beef cattle on forages: efficiency of grazing management systems. J Environ Qual. 2003;32:269-77 pubmed..Projected CH4 annual emissions in cows reflect a 22% reduction from BMP when compared with continuous grazing in this study. With the BMP application of MIG, less methane was produced per kilogram of beef gain. ..
- Gilliam F, Somerville C, Lyttle N, Adams M. Factors influencing spatial variability in nitrogen processing in nitrogen-saturated soils. ScientificWorldJournal. 2001;1 Suppl 2:505-13 pubmed..We hypothesize that nitrifier populations in such soil are being inhibited by a combination of low Ca to Al ratios in mineral soil and allelopathic interactions with mycorrhizae of ericaceous species in the herbaceous layer. ..
- Gotelli N, Ellison A. Forecasting extinction risk with nonstationary matrix models. Ecol Appl. 2006;16:51-61 pubmed..This synthetic modeling approach provides quantitative estimates of extinction probability that have an explicit mechanistic basis...
- Blasius M, Goodmanlowe G. Contaminants still high in top-level carnivores in the Southern California Bight: levels of DDT and PCBs in resident and transient pinnipeds. Mar Pollut Bull. 2008;56:1973-82 pubmed publisher..Current concentrations of tDDT and tPCB in California sea lions and harbor seals are among the highest values reported worldwide for marine mammals and exceed those reported to cause adverse health effects. ..
- Kane S, Létant S, Murphy G, Alfaro T, Krauter P, Mahnke R, et al. Rapid, high-throughput, culture-based PCR methods to analyze samples for viable spores of Bacillus anthracis and its surrogates. J Microbiol Methods. 2009;76:278-84 pubmed publisher..Integration of RV-PCR assays with high-throughput protocols will allow the processing of 200 wipe samples per day per robot using commercially available automation. ..
- Burnham K, Peterson D, Vavrek D, Haas M. The impact of microbial surveys on disinfection protocols in a chiropractic college environment. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2009;32:463-8 pubmed publisher..In addition, the third and fourth surveys showed fewer bacterial colonies than baseline, suggesting that compliance with disinfection protocols continued over time. ..
- Behrman K, Kiniry J, Winchell M, Juenger T, Keitt T. Spatial forecasting of switchgrass productivity under current and future climate change scenarios. Ecol Appl. 2013;23:73-85 pubmed..In order to minimize land conversion and loss of biodiversity, areas that currently have and maintain high productivity under climate change should be targeted for their long-term growth potential...
- Bergen S, Sheppard L, Sampson P, Kim S, Richards M, Vedal S, et al. A national prediction model for PM2.5 component exposures and measurement error-corrected health effect inference. Environ Health Perspect. 2013;121:1017-25 pubmed publisher..Exposure model characteristics must be considered when performing two-stage air pollution epidemiologic analyses because naÃ¯ve health effect inference may be inappropriate. ..
- Christensen K, Raymond M, Thompson B, Anderson H. Perfluoroalkyl substances in older male anglers in Wisconsin. Environ Int. 2016;91:312-8 pubmed publisher..Continued research on the risks and benefits of fish consumption is important due to potential exposure to PFAS and noted associations with highly prevalent adverse health outcomes. ..
- Morrison S, Belden J. Characterization of performance reference compound kinetics and analyte sampling rate corrections under three flow regimes using nylon organic chemical integrative samplers. J Chromatogr A. 2016;1466:1-11 pubmed publisher..g. static versus moderate flow), applying PRC corrections under similar flow conditions increases variability in estimated values. ..
- Moore C, Moore S, Weisberg S, Lattin G, Zellers A. A comparison of neustonic plastic and zooplankton abundance in southern California's coastal waters. Mar Pollut Bull. 2002;44:1035-8 pubmed..The spatial pattern of the ratio also differed before and after a storm. Before the storm, greatest plastic to plankton ratios were observed at two stations closest to shore, whereas after the storm these had the lowest ratios. ..
- Mahoney M, Moysich K, McCarthy P, McDonald R, Stepanenko V, Day R, et al. The Chernobyl childhood leukemia study: background & lessons learned. Environ Health. 2004;3:12 pubmed..In an era of globalization, our experiences might benefit others involved in multinational investigations...
- Turner B, Leytem A. Phosphorus compounds in sequential extracts of animal manures: chemical speciation and a novel fractionation procedure. Environ Sci Technol. 2004;38:6101-8 pubmed..5 M NaOH and 50 mM EDTA. This revised procedure separates manure phosphorus into structurally defined fractions with environmental relevance and will facilitate research on this important aspect of environmental science...
- DeMello J, Carmichael C, Peacock E, Nelson R, Samuel Arey J, Reddy C. Biodegradation and environmental behavior of biodiesel mixtures in the sea: An initial study. Mar Pollut Bull. 2007;54:894-904 pubmed
- Drake D, Naiman R. Reconstruction of Pacific salmon abundance from riparian tree-ring growth. Ecol Appl. 2007;17:1523-42 pubmed..Additionally, it provides a new frame of reference for maintaining and rebuilding individual stocks and for striking a balance between societal demands and the limited, always-changing salmon resource. ..
- Tao L, Kannan K, Aldous K, Mauer M, Eadon G. Biomonitoring of perfluorochemicals in plasma of New York State personnel responding to the World Trade Center disaster. Environ Sci Technol. 2008;42:3472-8 pubmed..In doing so, it may be possible to identify biological markers of WTC exposure and to improve our understanding of the health impacts of these compounds. ..
- Kidd C, Kidd M, Hofmann H. Measuring multiple hormones from a single water sample using enzyme immunoassays. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2010;165:277-85 pubmed publisher..Our results show that when using appropriate controls to account for possible technical and biological confounds, this technique provides a powerful new tool for research in aquatic endocrinology and physiology. ..
- Montie E, Letcher R, Reddy C, Moore M, Rubinstein B, Hahn M. Brominated flame retardants and organochlorine contaminants in winter flounder, harp and hooded seals, and North Atlantic right whales from the Northwest Atlantic Ocean. Mar Pollut Bull. 2010;60:1160-9 pubmed publisher..Future research should focus on monitoring PBDEs, current-use, non-PBDE BFRs, and MeO-BDEs of natural origin in marine organisms from Massachusetts and Cape Cod Bays...
- Unrine J, Hunyadi S, Tsyusko O, Rao W, Shoults Wilson W, Bertsch P. Evidence for bioavailability of Au nanoparticles from soil and biodistribution within earthworms (Eisenia fetida). Environ Sci Technol. 2010;44:8308-13 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that nanoparticles present in soil from activities such as biosolids application have the potential to enter terrestrial food webs. ..
- Loganathan S, Kannan K. Occurrence of bisphenol A in indoor dust from two locations in the eastern United States and implications for human exposures. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol. 2011;61:68-73 pubmed publisher..The contribution of dust to total human BPA intake was estimated to be <1%, however, suggesting that dietary intake is the predominant source of exposures in humans. ..
- Reid M, Jaffe P. A push-pull test to measure root uptake of volatile chemicals from wetland soils. Environ Sci Technol. 2013;47:3190-8 pubmed publisher..021 ± 9.0 × 10(-4) h(-1) for CFC-12 to 2.41 ± 0.98 h(-1) for helium. Hydroponic and mesocosm experiments demonstrate that the molecular diameter is a robust empirical predictor of kv. ..
- Friesen M, Wheeler D, Vermeulen R, Locke S, Zaebst D, Koutros S, et al. Combining Decision Rules from Classification Tree Models and Expert Assessment to Estimate Occupational Exposure to Diesel Exhaust for a Case-Control Study. Ann Occup Hyg. 2016;60:467-78 pubmed publisher..Overall, we found that we could efficiently, reproducibly, and reliably apply CT decision rules from one study to assess exposure in another study. ..
- Rajkovich N, Larsen L. A Bicycle-Based Field Measurement System for the Study of Thermal Exposure in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, USA. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2016;13:159 pubmed publisher..The construction of the vehicle builds on investigations of the indoor thermal environment of buildings using thermal comfort carts. ..
- Maynard J, van Hooidonk R, Harvell C, Eakin C, Liu G, Willis B, et al. Improving marine disease surveillance through sea temperature monitoring, outlooks and projections. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2016;371: pubmed publisher..The approach and case example highlight that temperature-based surveillance tools can inform research, monitoring and management of emerging and continuing marine disease threats. ..
- Rabeni C, Wang N. Bioassessment of streams using macroinvertebrates: are the chironomidae necessary?. Environ Monit Assess. 2001;71:177-85 pubmed
- Aridgides L, Doblin M, Berke T, Dobbs F, Matson D, Drake L. Multiplex PCR allows simultaneous detection of pathogens in ships' ballast water. Mar Pollut Bull. 2004;48:1096-101 pubmed..Here, we show simultaneous detection of multiple pathogens is possible, a result supporting the promising future use of microarrays for simultaneous detection of pathogens in ballast water. ..
- Sun P, Basu I, Hites R. Temporal trends of polychlorinated biphenyls in precipitation and air at chicago. Environ Sci Technol. 2006;40:1178-83 pubmed..7 +/- 1.1 years. The significant long-term decrease of PCB concentrations in precipitation and the gas phase in Chicago suggests that regulatory efforts are working, at least in this city. ..
- Dziedzic D, Gross K, Gorski R, Johnson J. Feasibility study of using brine for carbon dioxide capture and storage from fixed sources. J Air Waste Manag Assoc. 2006;56:1631-41 pubmed..We conclude that using brine in a gas-exchange membrane system for capturing CO2 from a gas stream to liquid is technically feasible and can be accomplished at a reasonable expenditure of energy...
- Fenn M, Jovan S, Yuan F, Geiser L, Meixner T, Gimeno B. Empirical and simulated critical loads for nitrogen deposition in California mixed conifer forests. Environ Pollut. 2008;155:492-511 pubmed publisher..Critical values for litter C:N (34.1), ponderosa pine foliar N (1.1%), and N concentrations (1.0%) in the lichen Letharia vulpina ((L.) Hue) are indicative of CL exceedance. ..
- Incardona J, Carls M, Day H, Sloan C, Bolton J, Collier T, et al. Cardiac arrhythmia is the primary response of embryonic Pacific herring (Clupea pallasi) exposed to crude oil during weathering. Environ Sci Technol. 2009;43:201-7 pubmed
- Richardson T, Lawrenz E, Pinckney J, Guajardo R, Walker E, Paerl H, et al. Spectral fluorometric characterization of phytoplankton community composition using the Algae Online Analyser. Water Res. 2010;44:2461-72 pubmed publisher..Overall, the AOA appears to be a useful tool for monitoring of phytoplankton community composition, especially as an early warning system for the detection of harmful algal blooms...
- Bradley P, Journey C, Brigham M, Burns D, Button D, Riva Murray K. Intra- and inter-basin mercury comparisons: Importance of basin scale and time-weighted methylmercury estimates. Environ Pollut. 2013;172:42-52 pubmed publisher..Results suggest reasonable scalability and inter-comparability for different basin sizes if wetland area or related MeHg-source-area metrics are considered. ..
- Curtis A, Blackburn J, Widmer J, Morris J. A ubiquitous method for street scale spatial data collection and analysis in challenging urban environments: mapping health risks using spatial video in Haiti. Int J Health Geogr. 2013;12:21 pubmed publisher..The process is rapid and can be repeated in study sites through time to track spatio-temporal dynamics of the communities. Its simplicity should also be used to encourage local participatory collaborations. ..
- Noordmann J, Weyer S, Georg R, JÃ¶ns S, Sharma M. (238)U/(235)U isotope ratios of crustal material, rivers and products of hydrothermal alteration: new insights on the oceanic U isotope mass balance. Isotopes Environ Health Stud. 2016;52:141-63 pubmed publisher..It furthermore provides additional constraints on the relative size of the diverse U sinks and respective net isotope fractionation during U removal. ..
- Jin J, Zimmerman A, Norton S, Annable M, Harris W. Arsenic release from Floridan Aquifer rock during incubations simulating aquifer storage and recovery operations. Sci Total Environ. 2016;551-552:238-45 pubmed publisher..Further, ASR operations using DOM-rich surface waters may not necessarily lead to additional As releases. ..
- Kapo K, Deleo P, Vamshi R, Holmes C, Ferrer D, Dyer S, et al. iSTREEM(®) : An approach for broad-scale in-stream exposure assessment of "down-the-drain" chemicals. Integr Environ Assess Manag. 2016;12:782-92 pubmed publisher..Integr Environ Assess Manag 2016;12:782-792. © 2016 SETAC. ..
- Yang M, Annable M, Jawitz J. Field-scale forward and back diffusion through low-permeability zones. J Contam Hydrol. 2017;202:47-58 pubmed publisher..The modeling approach presented in this study is designed to enable site managers to implement appropriate remediation technologies at a proper timing for high- and low-permeability zones, considering estimated plume life cycle. ..
- Klemens J, Wieland M, Flanagin V, Frick J, Harper R. A cross-taxa survey of organochlorine pesticide contamination in a Costa Rican wildland. Environ Pollut. 2003;122:245-51 pubmed..The presence of OCs in taxa from the conservation area indicates the likelihood of long-distance transport of such compounds through the atmosphere. ..
- Woofter R, Brendtro K, Ramsdell J. Uptake and elimination of brevetoxin in blood of striped mullet (Mugil cephalus) after aqueous exposure to Karenia brevis. Environ Health Perspect. 2005;113:11-6 pubmed
- Burch J, Clark M, Yost M, Fitzpatrick C, Bachand A, Ramaprasad J, et al. Radio frequency nonionizing radiation in a community exposed to radio and television broadcasting. Environ Health Perspect. 2006;114:248-53 pubmed..This study demonstrated that both spatial and temporal factors contribute to residential RF exposure and that GPS/GIS technologies can improve RF exposure assessment and reduce exposure misclassification. ..
- Dayton E, Basta N, Payton M, Bradham K, Schroder J, Lanno R. Evaluating the contribution of soil properties to modifying lead phytoavailability and phytotoxicity. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2006;25:719-25 pubmed..Path analysis is useful for ecological studies involving soils with a wide range of physicochemical properties and can assist in site risk assessment of metals and remediation decisions on contaminated sites. ..
- Brachtl M, Durant J, Perez C, Oviedo J, Sempertegui F, Naumova E, et al. Spatial and temporal variations and mobile source emissions of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in Quito, Ecuador. Environ Pollut. 2009;157:528-36 pubmed publisher..Cars and buses accounted for >95% of PAH at the near-roadway site. Near-roadway PAH concentrations were comparable to other polluted cities. ..
- Collins J, Bodner K, Aylward L, Wilken M, Swaen G, Budinsky R, et al. Mortality rates among workers exposed to dioxins in the manufacture of pentachlorophenol. J Occup Environ Med. 2009;51:1212-9 pubmed publisher..5, 95% CI = 1.2 to 11.5). Other than possibly an increased risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma, we find no other cause of death related to the mixture of the dioxin contaminants found in PCP. ..
- Rosenbaum M, VandeWoude S, Johnson T. Effects of cage-change frequency and bedding volume on mice and their microenvironment. J Am Assoc Lab Anim Sci. 2009;48:763-73 pubmed..This lack of effect occurred despite the appearance of excessive soiling by the 2-wk time point. ..
- Karraker N, Gibbs J. Road deicing salt irreversibly disrupts osmoregulation of salamander egg clutches. Environ Pollut. 2011;159:833-5 pubmed publisher..Clutches in high concentration lost 33% mass and then lost an additional 8% after transfer. Our results suggest that spring rains do not ameliorate the effects of deicing salts in wetlands with extremely high chloride concentrations. ..
- Adetona O, Dunn K, Hall D, Achtemeier G, Stock A, Naeher L. Personal PM(2.5) exposure among wildland firefighters working at prescribed forest burns in Southeastern United States. J Occup Environ Hyg. 2011;8:503-11 pubmed publisher..Self-assessed exposure levels agreed with measured concentrations of PM(2.5). Correlation analysis shows that either PM(2.5) or CO could be used as a surrogate measure of exposure to woodsmoke at prescribed burns. ..