Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on enterobactin in United States
Locale: United States
- Hantash F, Earhart C. Membrane association of the Escherichia coli enterobactin synthase proteins EntB/G, EntE, and EntF. J Bacteriol. 2000;182:1768-73 pubmed
- Bearden S, Staggs T, Perry R. An ABC transporter system of Yersinia pestis allows utilization of chelated iron by Escherichia coli SAB11. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:1135-47 pubmed..The approximately 21-kDa protein encoded by the separately transcribed yfeE gene may be located in the cell envelope, since a yfeE::TnphoA fusion is PhoA+. Mutations in this gene abrogate growth of SAB11 on iron-chelated media...
- Wyckoff E, Stoebner J, Reed K, Payne S. Cloning of a Vibrio cholerae vibriobactin gene cluster: identification of genes required for early steps in siderophore biosynthesis. J Bacteriol. 1997;179:7055-62 pubmed..cholerae strain with a chromosomal mutation in vibA was constructed by marker exchange. This strain was unable to produce vibriobactin or DHBA, confirming that in V. cholerae VibA catalyzes an early step in vibriobactin biosynthesis...
- Hunt M, Pettis G, McIntosh M. Promoter and operator determinants for fur-mediated iron regulation in the bidirectional fepA-fes control region of the Escherichia coli enterobactin gene system. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:3944-55 pubmed..These observations suggest a mechanism of Fur-mediated regulation in this compact control region that may involve other regulatory components. ..
- Elkins M, Earhart C. Nucleotide sequence and regulation of the Escherichia coli gene for ferrienterobactin transport protein FepB. J Bacteriol. 1989;171:5443-51 pubmed..Processing of proFepB remains unclear, but the appearance of the three smaller members of the FepB family required the action of leader peptidase and the presence of the entire fepB gene. ..
- Staab J, Elkins M, Earhart C. Nucleotide sequence of the Escherichia coli entE gene. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1989;50:15-9 pubmed..33. Genetic evidence combined with this and previous sequencing data indicate that the genes entCEB(G)A are transcribed as unit from a promoter upstream of entC. ..
- Wyckoff E, Valle A, Smith S, Payne S. A multifunctional ATP-binding cassette transporter system from Vibrio cholerae transports vibriobactin and enterobactin. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:7588-96 pubmed..These mutations reduced, but did not completely eliminate, vibriobactin utilization. This suggests that V. cholerae contains genes in addition to viuPDGC that function in the transport of catechol siderophores...
- Bearden S, Fetherston J, Perry R. Genetic organization of the yersiniabactin biosynthetic region and construction of avirulent mutants in Yersinia pestis. Infect Immun. 1997;65:1659-68 pubmed..Finally, Y. pestis strains with mutations in either the psn or irp2 gene were avirulent in mice when inoculated subcutaneously...
- Sundlov J, Garringer J, Carney J, Reger A, Drake E, Duax W, et al. Determination of the crystal structure of EntA, a 2,3-dihydro-2,3-dihydroxybenzoic acid dehydrogenase from Escherichia coli. Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2006;62:734-40 pubmed..Analysis of the structure in light of recent structural and bioinformatic analysis of other members of the SCOR family provides insight into the residues involved in cofactor and substrate binding. ..
- Coderre P, Earhart C. The entD gene of the Escherichia coli K12 enterobactin gene cluster. J Gen Microbiol. 1989;135:3043-55 pubmed..The data are also consistent with previous evidence that the entD product is unstable. ..
- Wyckoff E, Payne S. The Vibrio cholerae VctPDGC system transports catechol siderophores and a siderophore-free iron ligand. Mol Microbiol. 2011;81:1446-58 pubmed publisher..We also show that VctPDGC is the previously unidentified siderophore-independent iron transporter in V. cholerae, and this appears to complete the list of iron transport systems in V. cholerae...