Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on endosomes in United Kingdom
Locale: United Kingdom
- Fili N, Calleja V, Woscholski R, Parker P, Larijani B. Compartmental signal modulation: Endosomal phosphatidylinositol 3-phosphate controls endosome morphology and selective cargo sorting. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:15473-8 pubmed..The ability to acutely and selectively influence compartmental behavior as exemplified here for endomsomes clearly illustrates the power of the approach used to dissect the role of localized signals and events. ..
- Sorieul M, Langhans M, Guetzoyan L, Hillmer S, Clarkson G, Lord J, et al. An Exo2 derivative affects ER and Golgi morphology and vacuolar sorting in a tissue-specific manner in arabidopsis. Traffic. 2011;12:1552-62 pubmed publisher..Up to concentrations of 50 µm, the effects of LG8 are reversible. ..
- Arnaud F, Murcia P, Palmarini M. Mechanisms of late restriction induced by an endogenous retrovirus. J Virol. 2007;81:11441-51 pubmed..The data argue that dominant-negative proteins can modify the overall structure of Gag multimers/viral particles hampering the interaction of the latter with the cellular trafficking machinery. ..
- Cheung G, Cousin M. Adaptor protein complexes 1 and 3 are essential for generation of synaptic vesicles from activity-dependent bulk endosomes. J Neurosci. 2012;32:6014-23 pubmed publisher..Thus, adaptor protein complexes 1 and 3 play an essential dual role in generation of synaptic vesicles during activity-dependent bulk endocytosis. ..
- van Weering J, Verkade P, Cullen P. SNX-BAR proteins in phosphoinositide-mediated, tubular-based endosomal sorting. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2010;21:371-80 pubmed publisher..By studying these SNX-BARs, we are gaining an increasingly detailed appreciation of the mechanistic basis of endosomal sorting and how this highly dynamic process functions in health and disease. ..
- Arora P, Kharkwal S, Ng T, Kunnath Velayudhan S, Saini N, Johndrow C, et al. "Endocytic pH regulates cell surface localization of glycolipid antigen loaded CD1d complexes". Chem Phys Lipids. 2016;194:49-57 pubmed publisher..These findings support a model in which low endosomal pH controls stability and lipid raft localization of CD1d-glycolipid complexes to regulate the outcome of iNKT cell mediated responses. ..
- Smith G, Howell G, Phillips C, Muench S, Ponnambalam S, Harrison M. Extracellular and Luminal pH Regulation by Vacuolar H+-ATPase Isoform Expression and Targeting to the Plasma Membrane and Endosomes. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:8500-15 pubmed publisher..Ac45 plays a central role in navigating the V-ATPase to the plasma membrane, and hence it is an important factor in expression of the invasive phenotype. ..
- Beck M, Zhou J, Faulkner C, Maclean D, Robatzek S. Spatio-temporal cellular dynamics of the Arabidopsis flagellin receptor reveal activation status-dependent endosomal sorting. Plant Cell. 2012;24:4205-19 pubmed publisher..Altogether, we report a dynamic pattern of subcellular trafficking for FLS2 and reveal a defined framework for ligand-dependent endocytosis of this receptor. ..
- Musson J, Walker N, Flick Smith H, Williamson E, Robinson J. Differential processing of CD4 T-cell epitopes from the protective antigen of Bacillus anthracis. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:52425-31 pubmed..Rapidly presented epitopes seemed to require only limited proteolysis at earlier stages of endocytosis, whereas the majority of epitopes required more extensive processing by neutral proteinases followed by lysosomal enzymes. ..
- Maib H, Smythe E, Ayscough K. Forty years on: clathrin-coated pits continue to fascinate. Mol Biol Cell. 2017;28:843-847 pubmed publisher..We examine how this seminal study was pivotal to our understanding of CME and its progression into ever-increasing complexity over the past four decades. ..
- Roberts M, Woods A, Dale T, van der Sluijs P, Norman J. Protein kinase B/Akt acts via glycogen synthase kinase 3 to regulate recycling of alpha v beta 3 and alpha 5 beta 1 integrins. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:1505-15 pubmed..We propose that the ability of PKB/Akt to act via GSK-3 to promote the recycling of matrix receptors represents a key mechanism whereby integrin function and cell migration can be regulated by growth factors. ..
- Hughes W, Larijani B, Parker P. Detecting protein-phospholipid interactions. Epidermal growth factor-induced activation of phospholipase D1b in situ. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:22974-9 pubmed..Application of this approach will facilitate the spatial resolution of many protein-phospholipid interactions that are key events in the regulation of cellular processes. ..
- Hearn A, de Haan L, Pemberton A, Hirst T, Rivett A. Trafficking of exogenous peptides into proteasome-dependent major histocompatibility complex class I pathway following enterotoxin B subunit-mediated delivery. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:51315-22 pubmed..Conjugated peptides are released from early endosomes into the cytosol where they gain access to proteasomes and TAP in the "classical" pathway of class I presentation. ..
- Razi M, Futter C. Distinct roles for Tsg101 and Hrs in multivesicular body formation and inward vesiculation. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:3469-83 pubmed
- McCullough J, Row P, Lorenzo O, Doherty M, Beynon R, Clague M, et al. Activation of the endosome-associated ubiquitin isopeptidase AMSH by STAM, a component of the multivesicular body-sorting machinery. Curr Biol. 2006;16:160-5 pubmed..Other interacting factors do not directly stimulate AMSH but may serve to orient the enzyme with respect to substrates on the endosomal membrane. ..
- Bishop N, Woodman P. ATPase-defective mammalian VPS4 localizes to aberrant endosomes and impairs cholesterol trafficking. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:227-39 pubmed..The phenotype described here is largely consistent with the defects in vacuolar sorting associated with class E vps mutants in yeast, and a role for mammalian VPS4 is discussed in this context. ..
- Mullock B, Smith C, Ihrke G, Bright N, Lindsay M, Parkinson E, et al. Syntaxin 7 is localized to late endosome compartments, associates with Vamp 8, and Is required for late endosome-lysosome fusion. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:3137-53 pubmed..Together, these data identify a SNARE complex that functions in the late endocytic system of animal cells. ..
- Roda Navarro P, Reyburn H. The traffic of the NKG2D/Dap10 receptor complex during natural killer (NK) cell activation. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:16463-72 pubmed publisher..We propose that the rapid degradation of NKG2D/DAP10 observed coincident with recruitment of the receptor to the cytotoxic immune synapse may explain the loss of NKG2D receptor expression after chronic exposure to NKG2D ligands. ..
- Agromayor M, Martin Serrano J. Interaction of AMSH with ESCRT-III and deubiquitination of endosomal cargo. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:23083-91 pubmed..Taken together, these results are consistent with a role of AMSH in the deubiquitination of the endosomal cargo preceding lysosomal degradation. ..
- Row P, Prior I, McCullough J, Clague M, Urbé S. The ubiquitin isopeptidase UBPY regulates endosomal ubiquitin dynamics and is essential for receptor down-regulation. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:12618-24 pubmed..The cellular functions of UBPY are complex but clearly distinct from those of the Lys-63-ubiquitin-specific protease, AMSH, with which it shares a binding site on the SH3 domain of STAM. ..
- Akhtar N, Hotchin N. RAC1 regulates adherens junctions through endocytosis of E-cadherin. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:847-62 pubmed..Our data suggest that Rac1 regulates adherens junctions via clathrin independent endocytosis of E-cadherin...
- Gillingham A, Whyte J, Panic B, Munro S. Mon2, a relative of large Arf exchange factors, recruits Dop1 to the Golgi apparatus. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:2273-80 pubmed..Thus, it appears that Dop1 plays a widespread role in membrane organization, and Mon2 acts as a scaffold to recruit the Golgi-localized pool of Dop1. ..
- Stoneham C, Hollinshead M, Hajitou A. Clathrin-mediated endocytosis and subsequent endo-lysosomal trafficking of adeno-associated virus/phage. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:35849-59 pubmed publisher..These findings have important implications for the rational design of improved AAVP and RGD-targeted vectors. ..
- Bishop N, Horman A, Woodman P. Mammalian class E vps proteins recognize ubiquitin and act in the removal of endosomal protein-ubiquitin conjugates. J Cell Biol. 2002;157:91-101 pubmed..Similar defects are found in cells overexpressing Hrs, further emphasizing the links between class E protein function, receptor trafficking, and endosomal ubiquitination. ..
- Arden S, Puri C, Au J, Kendrick Jones J, Buss F. Myosin VI is required for targeted membrane transport during cytokinesis. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:4750-61 pubmed..Our results suggest that myosin VI has novel functions in mitosis and that it plays an essential role in targeted membrane transport during cytokinesis. ..
- Prevo R, Banerji S, Ni J, Jackson D. Rapid plasma membrane-endosomal trafficking of the lymph node sinus and high endothelial venule scavenger receptor/homing receptor stabilin-1 (FEEL-1/CLEVER-1). J Biol Chem. 2004;279:52580-92 pubmed..These properties support a role for stabilin-1 as a rapidly recycling scavenger receptor and argue against a role in cell adhesion or lymphocyte homing. ..
- Teo H, Veprintsev D, Williams R. Structural insights into endosomal sorting complex required for transport (ESCRT-I) recognition of ubiquitinated proteins. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:28689-96 pubmed..The structure provides a detailed framework for design of mutants that can specifically affect ESCRT-I-dependent sorting of ubiquitinated cargo without affecting Vps27-mediated delivery of cargo to endosomes. ..
- Gomes A, Ali B, Ramalho J, Godfrey R, Barral D, Hume A, et al. Membrane targeting of Rab GTPases is influenced by the prenylation motif. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:1882-99 pubmed..Finally, we show that both singly and doubly modified Rabs are extracted from membranes by RabGDIalpha and propose that the mistargeting of Rabs to the ER results from loss of targeting information. ..
- Carlton J, Agromayor M, Martin Serrano J. Differential requirements for Alix and ESCRT-III in cytokinesis and HIV-1 release. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:10541-6 pubmed publisher..Last, we demonstrate that overexpression of Chmp4b and Chmp4c differentially inhibits HIV-1 release and cytokinesis, suggesting possible reasons for gene expansion within the mammalian Class E VPS pathway. ..
- Lewis M, Nichols B, Prescianotto Baschong C, Riezman H, Pelham H. Specific retrieval of the exocytic SNARE Snc1p from early yeast endosomes. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:23-38 pubmed..We propose that these represent early endosomes in which sorting of Snc1p and late Golgi proteins occurs, and that transport can occur directly from them to the Golgi apparatus. ..
- Harterink M, Port F, Lorenowicz M, McGough I, Silhankova M, Betist M, et al. A SNX3-dependent retromer pathway mediates retrograde transport of the Wnt sorting receptor Wntless and is required for Wnt secretion. Nat Cell Biol. 2011;13:914-923 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that SNX3 is part of an alternative retromer pathway that functionally separates the retrograde transport of Wls from other retromer cargo. ..
- Michel C, Kumar S, Pinotsi D, Tunnacliffe A, St George Hyslop P, Mandelkow E, et al. Extracellular monomeric tau protein is sufficient to initiate the spread of tau protein pathology. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:956-67 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate a greater pathological risk and potential toxicity than hitherto suspected for extracellular soluble Tau. ..
- Billcliff P, Noakes C, Mehta Z, Yan G, Mak L, Woscholski R, et al. OCRL1 engages with the F-BAR protein pacsin 2 to promote biogenesis of membrane-trafficking intermediates. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:90-107 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate a role for OCRL1, via IPIP27A, in regulating the formation of pacsin 2-dependent trafficking intermediates and reveal a mechanism for coupling PtdIns(4,5)P2 hydrolysis with carrier biogenesis on endomembranes. ..
- Henmi Y, Morikawa Y, Oe N, Ikeda N, Fujita A, Takei K, et al. PtdIns4KIIÎ± generates endosomal PtdIns(4)P and is required for receptor sorting at early endosomes. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:990-1001 pubmed publisher..These results show that PtdIns4KIIÎ± regulates receptor sorting at early endosomes through a PtdIns(4)P-dependent pathway and contributes substrate for the synthesis of endosomal PtdIns(4,5)P2. ..
- Harrison B, Venkat G, Lamb J, Hutson T, Drury C, Rau K, et al. The Adaptor Protein CD2AP Is a Coordinator of Neurotrophin Signaling-Mediated Axon Arbor Plasticity. J Neurosci. 2016;36:4259-75 pubmed publisher..CD2AP is the first signaling molecule associated with adult sensory axonal collateral sprouting, and this association may offer new insights for NGF/TrkA-related Alzheimer's disease mechanisms. ..
- Theos A, Tenza D, Martina J, Hurbain I, Peden A, Sviderskaya E, et al. Functions of adaptor protein (AP)-3 and AP-1 in tyrosinase sorting from endosomes to melanosomes. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:5356-72 pubmed
- Mellor H, Flynn P, Nobes C, Hall A, Parker P. PRK1 is targeted to endosomes by the small GTPase, RhoB. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:4811-4 pubmed..Translocation of PRK1 to the endosomal compartment by RhoB is accompanied by a shift in the electrophoretic mobility of the kinase indicative of an accompanying activation. ..
- Bishop N, Woodman P. TSG101/mammalian VPS23 and mammalian VPS28 interact directly and are recruited to VPS4-induced endosomes. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:11735-42 pubmed..We conclude that TSG101 and its interacting components are directly involved in endosomal sorting. ..
- Hyde R, Peyrollier K, Hundal H. Insulin promotes the cell surface recruitment of the SAT2/ATA2 system A amino acid transporter from an endosomal compartment in skeletal muscle cells. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:13628-34 pubmed..Our data indicate strongly that insulin increases System A transport in L6 cells by stimulating the exocytosis of SAT2 carriers from a chloroquine-sensitive endosomal compartment. ..
- Parsons M, Monypenny J, Ameer Beg S, Millard T, Machesky L, Peter M, et al. Spatially distinct binding of Cdc42 to PAK1 and N-WASP in breast carcinoma cells. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:1680-95 pubmed..These data reveal for the first time distinct spatial association patterns between Cdc42 and its key effector proteins controlling cytoskeletal remodeling. ..
- Doyotte A, Mironov A, McKenzie E, Woodman P. The Bro1-related protein HD-PTP/PTPN23 is required for endosomal cargo sorting and multivesicular body morphogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:6308-13 pubmed publisher..Rescue experiments using an RNAi-resistant version of HD-PTP and HD-PTP mutants demonstrated an essential role for the HD-PTP Bro1 domain, with ESCRT-III binding correlating with full biological activity. ..
- Stober C, Brode S, White J, Popoff J, Blackwell J. Slc11a1, formerly Nramp1, is expressed in dendritic cells and influences major histocompatibility complex class II expression and antigen-presenting cell function. Infect Immun. 2007;75:5059-67 pubmed..These data indicate that wild-type Slc11a1 expressed in DCs may play a role both in determining resistance to infectious disease and in susceptibility to autoimmune disease such as type 1 diabetes. ..
- McDonald B, Martin Serrano J. Regulation of Tsg101 expression by the steadiness box: a role of Tsg101-associated ligase. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:754-63 pubmed..Lastly, we demonstrate that while the C-terminal lysines are targets for polyubiquitination, they are not required for any additional function necessary for ESCRT activity. ..
- Row P, Liu H, Hayes S, Welchman R, Charalabous P, Hofmann K, et al. The MIT domain of UBPY constitutes a CHMP binding and endosomal localization signal required for efficient epidermal growth factor receptor degradation. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:30929-37 pubmed
- Choudhury R, Diao A, Zhang F, Eisenberg E, Saint Pol A, Williams C, et al. Lowe syndrome protein OCRL1 interacts with clathrin and regulates protein trafficking between endosomes and the trans-Golgi network. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:3467-79 pubmed..These findings suggest a role for OCRL1 in clathrin-mediated trafficking of proteins from endosomes to the TGN and that defects in this pathway might contribute to the Lowe syndrome phenotype. ..
- Jeffries T, Dove S, Michell R, Parker P. PtdIns-specific MPR pathway association of a novel WD40 repeat protein, WIPI49. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:2652-63 pubmed..We conclude that WIPI49 is a novel regulatory component of the endosomal and MPR pathway and that this role is dependent upon the PI-binding properties of its WD40 domain...
- te Vruchte D, Lloyd Evans E, Veldman R, Neville D, Dwek R, Platt F, et al. Accumulation of glycosphingolipids in Niemann-Pick C disease disrupts endosomal transport. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:26167-75 pubmed..It is suggested that accumulating GSL is part of a mislocalized membrane microdomain and is responsible for the deficit in endocytic trafficking found in NPC disease...
- Odintsova E, van Niel G, Conjeaud H, Raposo G, Iwamoto R, Mekada E, et al. Metastasis suppressor tetraspanin CD82/KAI1 regulates ubiquitylation of epidermal growth factor receptor. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:26323-34 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these observations provide an important new insight into the modulatory role of CD82 in endocytic trafficking of EGF receptor. ..
- Fraile Ramos A, Kledal T, Pelchen Matthews A, Bowers K, Schwartz T, Marsh M. The human cytomegalovirus US28 protein is located in endocytic vesicles and undergoes constitutive endocytosis and recycling. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:1737-49 pubmed..In addition, the distribution of US28 mainly on endosomal membranes may allow it to be incorporated into the viral envelope during HCMV assembly. ..
- Degli Esposti M, Tour J, Ouasti S, Ivanova S, Matarrese P, Malorni W, et al. Fas death receptor enhances endocytic membrane traffic converging into the Golgi region. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:600-15 pubmed publisher..Hence, T lymphocytes show a diversion in the traffic of endocytic membranes after Fas stimulation that seems to resemble the polarization of membrane traffic after their activation. ..
- Carlton J, Bujny M, Peter B, Oorschot V, Rutherford A, Mellor H, et al. Sorting nexin-1 mediates tubular endosome-to-TGN transport through coincidence sensing of high- curvature membranes and 3-phosphoinositides. Curr Biol. 2004;14:1791-800 pubmed
- Luzio J, Rous B, Bright N, Pryor P, Mullock B, Piper R. Lysosome-endosome fusion and lysosome biogenesis. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 ( Pt 9):1515-24 pubmed
- Calcagno Pizarelli A, Negrete Urtasun S, Denison S, Rudnicka J, Bussink H, Múnera Huertas T, et al. Establishment of the ambient pH signaling complex in Aspergillus nidulans: PalI assists plasma membrane localization of PalH. Eukaryot Cell. 2007;6:2365-75 pubmed
- Bowers K, Piper S, Edeling M, Gray S, Owen D, Lehner P, et al. Degradation of endocytosed epidermal growth factor and virally ubiquitinated major histocompatibility complex class I is independent of mammalian ESCRTII. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:5094-105 pubmed..Our data suggest that mammalian ESCRTII may be redundant, cargo-specific, or not required for protein sorting at the multivesicular body. ..
- Schuster M, Kilaru S, Fink G, Collemare J, Roger Y, Steinberg G. Kinesin-3 and dynein cooperate in long-range retrograde endosome motility along a nonuniform microtubule array. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:3645-57 pubmed publisher..The cooperation of both motors mediates EE movements over the length of the entire cell...
- Sutter J, Sieben C, Hartel A, Eisenach C, Thiel G, Blatt M. Abscisic acid triggers the endocytosis of the arabidopsis KAT1 K+ channel and its recycling to the plasma membrane. Curr Biol. 2007;17:1396-402 pubmed
- Chow C, Neto H, Foucart C, Moore I. Rab-A2 and Rab-A3 GTPases define a trans-golgi endosomal membrane domain in Arabidopsis that contributes substantially to the cell plate. Plant Cell. 2008;20:101-23 pubmed publisher..Despite the unique features of plant cytokinesis, membrane traffic to the division plane exhibits surprising molecular similarity across eukaryotic kingdoms in its reliance on Ypt3/Rab11/Rab-A GTPases. ..
- Greaves J, Carmichael J, Chamberlain L. The palmitoyl transferase DHHC2 targets a dynamic membrane cycling pathway: regulation by a C-terminal domain. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:1887-95 pubmed publisher..This study is the first to highlight dynamic cycling of a mammalian DHHC protein between clearly defined membrane compartments, and to identify domains that specify membrane targeting of this protein family. ..
- Cozier G, Carlton J, McGregor A, Gleeson P, Teasdale R, Mellor H, et al. The phox homology (PX) domain-dependent, 3-phosphoinositide-mediated association of sorting nexin-1 with an early sorting endosomal compartment is required for its ability to regulate epidermal growth factor receptor degradation. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:48730-6 pubmed..Finally, we have shown that the PX domain-dependent/early endosomal association of SNX1 is important for its ability to regulate the targeting of internalized epidermal growth factor receptor for lysosomal degradation. ..
- Kyttälä A, Ihrke G, Vesa J, Schell M, Luzio J. Two motifs target Batten disease protein CLN3 to lysosomes in transfected nonneuronal and neuronal cells. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:1313-23 pubmed..Endosomal association of the protein was independent of the two lysosomal targeting motifs. ..
- Teo H, Perisic O, Gonzalez B, Williams R. ESCRT-II, an endosome-associated complex required for protein sorting: crystal structure and interactions with ESCRT-III and membranes. Dev Cell. 2004;7:559-69 pubmed..Vps25 is the chief subunit responsible for Vps20 recruitment. This interaction dramatically increases binding of both components to lipid vesicles in vitro. ..
- Brawn L, Hayward R, Koronakis V. Salmonella SPI1 effector SipA persists after entry and cooperates with a SPI2 effector to regulate phagosome maturation and intracellular replication. Cell Host Microbe. 2007;1:63-75 pubmed..Our findings define an unexpected additional function for SipA postentry and reveal precise intracellular communication between effectors deployed by distinct T3SSs underlying SCV biogenesis. ..
- Weylandt K, Nebrig M, Jansen Rosseck N, Amey J, Carmena D, Wiedenmann B, et al. ClC-3 expression enhances etoposide resistance by increasing acidification of the late endocytic compartment. Mol Cancer Ther. 2007;6:979-86 pubmed..This study therefore provides first evidence for a role of intracellular CLC proteins in the modulation of cancer drug resistance. ..