Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on drosophila proteins in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: drosophila proteins
Publications240 found, 100 shown here
- Maines J, Stevens L, Tong X, Stein D. Drosophila dMyc is required for ovary cell growth and endoreplication. Development. 2004;131:775-86 pubmed..In summary, dMyc plays an essential role in promoting the rapid growth that must occur in both the germline and the surrounding follicle cells for oogenesis to proceed. ..
- Huh J, Vernooy S, Yu H, Yan N, Shi Y, Guo M, et al. Multiple apoptotic caspase cascades are required in nonapoptotic roles for Drosophila spermatid individualization. PLoS Biol. 2004;2:E15 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that multiple caspases and caspase regulators, likely acting at distinct points in time and space, are required for spermatid individualization, a nonapoptotic process. ..
- Alvarado D, Rice A, Duffy J. Knockouts of Kekkon1 define sequence elements essential for Drosophila epidermal growth factor receptor inhibition. Genetics. 2004;166:201-11 pubmed..Last, our analysis implicates glycine 160 of the second LRR in regulating EGFR binding. ..
- Kumar J, Jamal T, Doetsch A, Turner F, Duffy J. CREB binding protein functions during successive stages of eye development in Drosophila. Genetics. 2004;168:877-93 pubmed..We have used a variety of approaches to define the role of CBP in eye development on a cell-by-cell basis. ..
- Karcavich R, Doe C. Drosophila neuroblast 7-3 cell lineage: a model system for studying programmed cell death, Notch/Numb signaling, and sequential specification of ganglion mother cell identity. J Comp Neurol. 2005;481:240-51 pubmed..Our results confirm and extend previous work on the early portion of the NB7-3 lineage (Novotny et al.  Development 129:1027-1036; Lundell et al. [ 2003] Development 130:4109-4121). ..
- Al Anzi B, Tracey W, Benzer S. Response of Drosophila to wasabi is mediated by painless, the fly homolog of mammalian TRPA1/ANKTM1. Curr Biol. 2006;16:1034-40 pubmed..Our results suggest that the stinging sensation of isothiocyanate is caused by activation of an evolutionarily conserved molecular pathway that is also used for nociception. ..
- Shiau C, Lwigale P, Das R, Wilson S, Bronner Fraser M. Robo2-Slit1 dependent cell-cell interactions mediate assembly of the trigeminal ganglion. Nat Neurosci. 2008;11:269-76 pubmed publisher..The resultant disorganization mimics the effects of neural crest ablation. Thus, our data reveal a novel and essential role for Robo2-Slit1 signaling in mediating neural crest-placode interactions during trigeminal gangliogenesis. ..
- Parthasarathy R, Palli S. Proliferation and differentiation of intestinal stem cells during metamorphosis of the red flour beetle, Tribolium castaneum. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:893-908 pubmed publisher..These data show that the proliferation of ISCs is under both developmental and endocrine regulation. ..
- Zhang Z, Stevens L, Stein D. Sulfation of eggshell components by Pipe defines dorsal-ventral polarity in the Drosophila embryo. Curr Biol. 2009;19:1200-5 pubmed publisher..In identifying the elusive targets of Pipe, this work points to the vitelline membrane as the source of signals that generate the Drosophila DV axis...
- Lyon A, Reveal B, Macdonald P, Hoffman D. Bruno protein contains an expanded RNA recognition motif. Biochemistry. 2009;48:12202-12 pubmed publisher..This expanded Bruno RRM provides a new example of the features that are important for RNA recognition by an RRM-containing protein. ..
- Lebestky T, Chang J, Dankert H, Zelnik L, Kim Y, Han K, et al. Two different forms of arousal in Drosophila are oppositely regulated by the dopamine D1 receptor ortholog DopR via distinct neural circuits. Neuron. 2009;64:522-36 pubmed publisher..These data provide evidence for at least two different forms of arousal, which are independently regulated by dopamine in opposite directions, via distinct neural circuits. ..
- Cho Y, Stevens L, Stein D. Pipe-dependent ventral processing of Easter by Snake is the defining step in Drosophila embryo DV axis formation. Curr Biol. 2010;20:1133-7 pubmed publisher..This observation suggests a mechanism in which the sulfated target of Pipe promotes a productive interaction between Snake and Easter, perhaps by facilitating conformational changes in a complex containing the two proteins. ..
- Tsurumi A, Xia F, Li J, Larson K, Lafrance R, Li W. STAT is an essential activator of the zygotic genome in the early Drosophila embryo. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002086 pubmed publisher..We further show that STAT92E and Zelda synergistically regulate transcription. We conclude that STAT92E, in conjunction with Zelda, plays an important role in transcription of the zygotic genome at the onset of embryonic development. ..
- Bushey D, Tononi G, Cirelli C. Sleep and synaptic homeostasis: structural evidence in Drosophila. Science. 2011;332:1576-81 pubmed publisher..A richer wake experience resulted in both larger synaptic growth and greater sleep need. Finally, we demonstrate that the gene Fmr1 (fragile X mental retardation 1) plays an important role in sleep-dependent synaptic renormalization. ..
- Steiner F, Talbert P, Kasinathan S, Deal R, Henikoff S. Cell-type-specific nuclei purification from whole animals for genome-wide expression and chromatin profiling. Genome Res. 2012;22:766-77 pubmed publisher..This method should be universally applicable to all model systems that allow transgenesis and will make it possible to determine epigenetic and expression profiles of different tissues and cell types. ..
- Melnattur K, Berdnik D, Rusan Z, Ferreira C, Nambu J. The sox gene Dichaete is expressed in local interneurons and functions in development of the Drosophila adult olfactory circuit. Dev Neurobiol. 2013;73:107-26 pubmed publisher..These results suggest noncell autonomous functions of Dichaete in projection neuron differentiation as well as a potential role for Dichaete-expressing local interneurons in development of the adult olfactory circuitry. ..
- Kniss J, Holbrook S, Herman T. R7 photoreceptor axon growth is temporally controlled by the transcription factor Ttk69, which inhibits growth in part by promoting transforming growth factor-?/activin signaling. J Neurosci. 2013;33:1509-20 pubmed publisher..We find that Ttk69 is required for normal activation of this pathway but that Ttk69 likely also inhibits R7 axon growth by a TGF-?/Activin-independent mechanism. ..
- Huang Z, Kingsolver M, Avadhanula V, Hardy R. An antiviral role for antimicrobial peptides during the arthropod response to alphavirus replication. J Virol. 2013;87:4272-80 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate an antiviral response involving the Imd and Jak-STAT mediated expression of dptB and attC...
- Chahda J, Sousa Neves R, Mizutani C. Variation in the dorsal gradient distribution is a source for modified scaling of germ layers in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2013;23:710-6 pubmed publisher..We propose that variation in mesodermal size occurs at a fast evolutionary rate and is an important mechanism to define the ventral boundary of the neuroectoderm...
- Loganathan R, Lee J, Wells M, GREVENGOED E, Slattery M, Andrew D. Ribbon regulates morphogenesis of the Drosophila embryonic salivary gland through transcriptional activation and repression. Dev Biol. 2016;409:234-250 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our results suggest that autoregulation of rib expression may be a key component of the SG morphogenetic gene network. ..
- Dutta S, Rieche F, Eckl N, Duch C, Kretzschmar D. Glial expression of Swiss cheese (SWS), the Drosophila orthologue of neuropathy target esterase (NTE), is required for neuronal ensheathment and function. Dis Model Mech. 2016;9:283-94 pubmed publisher..It is therefore likely that changes in glia also contribute to the pathology observed in humans that carry mutations in NTE. ..
- Tolwinski N, Wieschaus E. A nuclear function for armadillo/beta-catenin. PLoS Biol. 2004;2:E95 pubmed..Further, this activity is dependent on the presence of the C-terminus-specific negative regulator Chibby. Our data clearly show that nuclear localization of beta-catenin is in fact necessary for Wnt pathway activation. ..
- Tolar L, Pallanck L. NSF function in neurotransmitter release involves rearrangement of the SNARE complex downstream of synaptic vesicle docking. J Neurosci. 1998;18:10250-6 pubmed
- Ganetzky B, Robertson G, Wilson G, Trudeau M, Titus S. The eag family of K+ channels in Drosophila and mammals. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1999;868:356-69 pubmed..Biochemical evidence indicates a direct physical interaction between EAG and HK proteins. Overall, these studies highlight the diverse properties of the eag family of K+ channels, which are likely to subserve diverse functions in vivo. ..
- Malik H, Henikoff S. Positive selection of Iris, a retroviral envelope-derived host gene in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS Genet. 2005;1:e44 pubmed..We propose a model in which Iris has "switched sides," having been recruited by host genomes to combat baculoviruses and retroviruses, which employ homologous envelope genes to mediate infection. ..
- Hsouna A, Lawal H, Izevbaye I, Hsu T, O Donnell J. Drosophila dopamine synthesis pathway genes regulate tracheal morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2007;308:30-43 pubmed..Moreover, the transducer of Btl signaling, MAP kinase, is hyper-activated throughout the tracheal tube in the Pu mutant. Finally we show that dopamine regulates endocytosis via controlling the dynamin protein level. ..
- Siebold A, Banerjee R, Tie F, Kiss D, Moskowitz J, Harte P. Polycomb Repressive Complex 2 and Trithorax modulate Drosophila longevity and stress resistance. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:169-74 pubmed publisher..These findings establish a role for PRC2 and TRX in the modulation of organismal longevity and stress resistance and indicate that moderate perturbation of Polycomb silencing can increase longevity. ..
- Cho B, Fischer J. Ral GTPase promotes asymmetric Notch activation in the Drosophila eye in response to Frizzled/PCP signaling by repressing ligand-independent receptor activation. Development. 2011;138:1349-59 pubmed publisher..Thus, prevention of ligand-independent Notch activation is not simply a constitutive process, but is a target for regulation by Ral during cell fate specification and pattern formation. ..
- Figard L, Xu H, Garcia H, Golding I, Sokac A. The plasma membrane flattens out to fuel cell-surface growth during Drosophila cellularization. Dev Cell. 2013;27:648-55 pubmed publisher..We conclude that plasma membrane folding/unfolding can contribute to the cell-shape changes that promote embryonic morphogenesis. ..
- Peterson R, Jacobs D, Awgulewitsch A. Hox-3.6: isolation and characterization of a new murine homeobox gene located in the 5' region of the Hox-3 cluster. Mech Dev. 1992;37:151-66 pubmed..5. Structural analysis of the 5' region revealed the presence of a 35 bp sequence which shares homology and relative 5' position with an upstream sequence present in its two nearest downstream neighbors, Hox-3.2 and -3.1. ..
- Kimble J. An ancient molecular mechanism for establishing embryonic polarity?. Science. 1994;266:577-8 pubmed
- Leiserson W, Benzer S, Bonini N. Dual functions of the Drosophila eyes absent gene in the eye and embryo. Mech Dev. 1998;73:193-202 pubmed..These data indicate a specific requirement for eya function in eye progenitor cells that is normally fulfilled by both transcripts. ..
- Shafer O, Rosbash M, Truman J. Sequential nuclear accumulation of the clock proteins period and timeless in the pacemaker neurons of Drosophila melanogaster. J Neurosci. 2002;22:5946-54 pubmed..The differing profiles of TIM and PER nuclear accumulation suggest that PER and TIM have distinct functions in the nuclei of vLNs. ..
- Alvarado D, Rice A, Duffy J. Bipartite inhibition of Drosophila epidermal growth factor receptor by the extracellular and transmembrane domains of Kekkon1. Genetics. 2004;167:187-202 pubmed..Together, our results support a model in which the LRRs of Kek1 in conjunction with its juxta/transmembrane region direct association and inhibition of the Drosophila EGFR through interactions with receptor domain V. ..
- Khetani R, Bickel S. Regulation of meiotic cohesion and chromosome core morphogenesis during pachytene in Drosophila oocytes. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:3123-37 pubmed..We present a model for how chromosome cores are assembled during Drosophila meiosis and the role of ORD in meiotic cohesion, chromosome core maintenance and homologous recombination. ..
- Leiserson W, Bonini N, Benzer S. Transvection at the eyes absent gene of Drosophila. Genetics. 1994;138:1171-9 pubmed..The discovery of transvection at eya suggests that transvection interactions of this type may be more prevalent than generally thought. ..
- Dong P, Todi S, Eberl D, Boekhoff Falk G. Drosophila spalt/spalt-related mutants exhibit Townes-Brocks' syndrome phenotypes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:10293-8 pubmed..Electrophysiological analyses confirm that spalt/spalt-related mutant flies are deaf. These commonalities suggest that there is functional conservation for spalt genes between vertebrates and insects. ..
- Zhai L, Chaturvedi D, Cumberledge S. Drosophila wnt-1 undergoes a hydrophobic modification and is targeted to lipid rafts, a process that requires porcupine. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:33220-7 pubmed..Based on these results we propose a model whereby lipidation targets Wnt-1 to secretory vesicles that deliver the ligand to specialized microdomains at the cell surface where it can be packaged for secretion. ..
- Nappi A, Frey F, Carton Y. Drosophila serpin 27A is a likely target for immune suppression of the blood cell-mediated melanotic encapsulation response. J Insect Physiol. 2005;51:197-205 pubmed..boulardi. ..
- Carmine Simmen K, Proctor T, Tschäpe J, Poeck B, Triphan T, Strauss R, et al. Neurotoxic effects induced by the Drosophila amyloid-beta peptide suggest a conserved toxic function. Neurobiol Dis. 2009;33:274-81 pubmed publisher..In addition, we found that the behavioral phenotypes precede extracellular amyloid deposit formation, supporting results that intracellular Abeta plays a key role in AD. ..
- Singh A, Singh S. Unmasking of a novel potassium current in Drosophila by a mutation and drugs. J Neurosci. 1999;19:6838-43 pubmed..These components are being called I(KS) and I(KF). I(KS) is carried via Shab-encoded channels. I(KF) defines a new voltage-activated K(+) current in Drosophila. ..
- Chung S, McLean M, Rymond B. Yeast ortholog of the Drosophila crooked neck protein promotes spliceosome assembly through stable U4/U6.U5 snRNP addition. RNA. 1999;5:1042-54 pubmed..Our results indicate that Clf1p acts as a scaffolding protein in spliceosome assembly and suggest that Clf1p may support the cross-intron bridge during the prespliceosome-to-spliceosome transition. ..
- Zraly C, Middleton F, Dingwall A. Hormone-response genes are direct in vivo regulatory targets of Brahma (SWI/SNF) complex function. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:35305-15 pubmed..Our results reveal that the Brm complex assists in coordinating hormone-dependent transcription regulation of the Eig genes. ..
- Bao H, Berlanga M, Xue M, Hapip S, Daniels R, Mendenhall J, et al. The atypical cadherin flamingo regulates synaptogenesis and helps prevent axonal and synaptic degeneration in Drosophila. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2007;34:662-78 pubmed..These findings shed new light on a possible role for Flamingo in progressive neurodegenerative diseases. ..
- Rebeiz M, Pool J, Kassner V, Aquadro C, Carroll S. Stepwise modification of a modular enhancer underlies adaptation in a Drosophila population. Science. 2009;326:1663-7 pubmed publisher..We underscore how enhancers are distinct macromolecular entities, subject to fundamentally different, and generally more relaxed, functional constraints relative to protein sequences. ..
- Follansbee T, Gjelsvik K, Brann C, McParland A, Longhurst C, Galko M, et al. Drosophila Nociceptive Sensitization Requires BMP Signaling via the Canonical SMAD Pathway. J Neurosci. 2017;37:8524-8533 pubmed publisher..2012). Because nociceptive sensitization is associated with chronic pain, these findings indicate that human BMP pathway components may represent targets for novel pain-relieving drugs. ..
- Staehling Hampton K, Laughon A, Hoffmann F. A Drosophila protein related to the human zinc finger transcription factor PRDII/MBPI/HIV-EP1 is required for dpp signaling. Development. 1995;121:3393-403 pubmed..We conclude that shn function is critical for cells to respond properly to dpp and propose that shn protein is the first identified downstream component of the signal transduction pathway used by dpp and its receptors. ..
- Hsu T, Schulz R. Sequence and functional properties of Ets genes in the model organism Drosophila. Oncogene. 2000;19:6409-16 pubmed..The information should be of significant value to the study of related processes in higher organisms due to the growing evidence for the cross species conservation of developmental mechanisms. ..
- Ahmed A, Chandra S, Magarinos M, Vaessin H. Echinoid mutants exhibit neurogenic phenotypes and show synergistic interactions with the Notch signaling pathway. Development. 2003;130:6295-304 pubmed..Our work establishes a role of Ed during embryonic nervous system development, as well as adult sensory bristle specification and shows that Ed interacts synergistically with the Notch signaling pathway. ..
- Fluegel M, Parker T, Pallanck L. Mutations of a Drosophila NPC1 gene confer sterol and ecdysone metabolic defects. Genetics. 2006;172:185-96 pubmed..Our results suggest that NPC1a promotes efficient intracellular trafficking of sterols in many Drosophila tissues including the ring gland where sterols must be delivered to sites of ecdysone synthesis. ..
- DiBella L, Gorbatyuk O, Sakato M, Wakabayashi K, Patel King R, Pazour G, et al. Differential light chain assembly influences outer arm dynein motor function. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:5661-74 pubmed..These data suggest that LC2, LC6, and LC9 have different roles in outer arm assembly and are required for wild-type motor function in the Chlamydomonas flagellum. ..
- Sathe S, Harte P. The Drosophila extra sex combs protein contains WD motifs essential for its function as a repressor of homeotic genes. Mech Dev. 1995;52:77-87 pubmed..We propose that the esc protein is similarly involved in the initial recruitment of Pc-G repressors to the homeotic genes to establish their stable long term repression. ..
- Newman B, Lundblad J, Chen Y, Smolik S. A Drosophila homologue of Sir2 modifies position-effect variegation but does not affect life span. Genetics. 2002;162:1675-85 pubmed..However, mutations in dSir2 do not shorten life span as predicted from studies in yeast and worms. ..
- Compton T, Kurt Jones E, Boehme K, Belko J, Latz E, Golenbock D, et al. Human cytomegalovirus activates inflammatory cytokine responses via CD14 and Toll-like receptor 2. J Virol. 2003;77:4588-96 pubmed..Since many of the pathological processes associated with CMV disease are facilitated or directly mediated by inflammatory cytokines, identification of the host membrane detection machinery may ultimately lead to improved therapeutics. ..
- Petrucelli L, Dickson D, Kehoe K, Taylor J, Snyder H, Grover A, et al. CHIP and Hsp70 regulate tau ubiquitination, degradation and aggregation. Hum Mol Genet. 2004;13:703-14 pubmed..Hsp70/CHIP may therefore play an important role in the pathogenesis of tauopathies and also represents a potential therapeutic target. ..
- Bennett R, Blalock W, Choi E, Lee Y, Zhang Y, Zhou L, et al. RAX is required for fly neuronal development and mouse embryogenesis. Mech Dev. 2008;125:777-85 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these findings in two different species illustrate the importance of RAX for embryonic development. ..
- Smolik S. Heterochromatin-mediated gene silencing is not affected by Drosophila CBP activity. J Hered. 2009;100:465-72 pubmed publisher..A careful study of the dCBP mutations provides evidence that dCBP does not affect the formation and/or function of centric heterochromatin and thus may affect other dSIR2 functions. ..
- Li H, Rodriguez J, Yoo Y, Shareef M, Badugu R, Horabin J, et al. Cooperative and antagonistic contributions of two heterochromatin proteins to transcriptional regulation of the Drosophila sex determination decision. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002122 pubmed publisher..Our genetic and biochemical assays indicate a repressing activity for HOAP and both activating and repressing roles for HP1 at Sxl(Pe). ..
- Abou Tayoun A, Li X, Chu B, Hardie R, Juusola M, Dolph P. The Drosophila SK channel (dSK) contributes to photoreceptor performance by mediating sensitivity control at the first visual network. J Neurosci. 2011;31:13897-910 pubmed publisher..While demonstrating important functional roles for dSK channel in the visual circuitry, these results also clarify how homeostatically balanced network functions can compensate missing or faulty ion channels. ..
- Brown H, Kaun K, Edgar B. The small GTPase Rheb affects central brain neuronal morphology and memory formation in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e44888 pubmed publisher..Thus, Rheb overexpression in the central brain neurons of flies causes not only morphological phenotypes, but behavioral and aging phenotypes that may mirror symptoms of TSC. ..
- Fan J, Jiang K, Liu Y, Jia J. Hrs promotes ubiquitination and mediates endosomal trafficking of smoothened in Drosophila hedgehog signaling. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e79021 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data indicate that Hrs mediates Smo trafficking in the late endosome by not only promoting Smo ubiquitination but also blocking Smo phosphorylation. ..
- Xu X, Shi Y, Wu X, Gambetti P, Sui D, Cui M. Identification of a novel PSD-95/Dlg/ZO-1 (PDZ)-like protein interacting with the C terminus of presenilin-1. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:32543-6 pubmed..These data suggest that PS-1 may associate with a PDZ-like domain-containing protein in vivo and thus may participate in receptor or channel clustering and intracellular signaling events in the brain. ..
- Palladino M, Bower J, Kreber R, Ganetzky B. Neural dysfunction and neurodegeneration in Drosophila Na+/K+ ATPase alpha subunit mutants. J Neurosci. 2003;23:1276-86 pubmed..Our data show that maintenance of neuronal viability is dependent on normal sodium pump activity and establish Drosophila as a useful model for investigating the role of the pump in human neurodegenerative and seizure disorders. ..
- Muro I, Monser K, Clem R. Mechanism of Dronc activation in Drosophila cells. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:5035-41 pubmed..These results provide the first details of the mechanisms regulating initiator caspase activation in an invertebrate organism. ..
- Wagstaff B, Begun D. Molecular population genetics of accessory gland protein genes and testis-expressed genes in Drosophila mojavensis and D. arizonae. Genetics. 2005;171:1083-101 pubmed..mojavensis (2.08) than in D. arizonae (0.87). Contrasts of polymorphism and divergence suggest that adaptive protein evolution at Acp's is more common in D. mojavensis than in D. arizonae. ..
- Suh G, Ben Tabou de Leon S, Tanimoto H, Fiala A, Benzer S, Anderson D. Light activation of an innate olfactory avoidance response in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2007;17:905-8 pubmed..Thus, avoidance behavior appears hardwired into the olfactory circuitry that detects CO2 in Drosophila. ..
- Luce Fedrow A, Von Ohlen T, Chapes S. Ehrlichia chaffeensis infections in Drosophila melanogaster. Infect Immun. 2009;77:4815-26 pubmed publisher..chaffeensis suggests that D. melanogaster is a suitable host for E. chaffeensis. In the future, it will be a useful tool to unlock some of the in vivo mysteries of this arthropod-borne bacterium...
- Fergestad T, Sale H, Bostwick B, Schaffer A, Ho L, Robertson G, et al. A Drosophila behavioral mutant, down and out (dao), is defective in an essential regulator of Erg potassium channels. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:5617-21 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that Dao has an important role in establishing the proper level of neuronal membrane excitability by regulating functional expression of Erg channels. ..
- Beagan K, Armstrong R, Witsell A, Roy U, Renedo N, Baker A, et al. Drosophila DNA polymerase theta utilizes both helicase-like and polymerase domains during microhomology-mediated end joining and interstrand crosslink repair. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006813 pubmed publisher..Together, our data illustrate the functional importance of the helicase-like domain of Pol ? and suggest that its tethering to the polymerase domain is important for its multiple functions in DNA repair and damage tolerance. ..
- Cook M, Williams R, Flaherty L. Anxiety-related behaviors in the elevated zero-maze are affected by genetic factors and retinal degeneration. Behav Neurosci. 2001;115:468-76 pubmed
- Anselmo M, Dalvin S, Prodhan P, Komatsuzaki K, Aidlen J, Schnitzer J, et al. Slit and robo: expression patterns in lung development. Gene Expr Patterns. 2003;3:13-9 pubmed..We conclude Slit/Robo are expressed in temporo-spatially adjacent domains suggesting interactive roles in pulmonary bronchiolar development. ..
- Kopp A, Graze R, Xu S, Carroll S, Nuzhdin S. Quantitative trait loci responsible for variation in sexually dimorphic traits in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2003;163:771-87 pubmed
- Menon K, Sanyal S, Habara Y, Sanchez R, Wharton R, Ramaswami M, et al. The translational repressor Pumilio regulates presynaptic morphology and controls postsynaptic accumulation of translation factor eIF-4E. Neuron. 2004;44:663-76 pubmed..The GluRIIa glutamate receptor is upregulated in pum mutants. These results, together with genetic epistasis studies, suggest that postsynaptic Pum modulates synaptic function via direct control of eIF-4E expression. ..
- Martin A, Kaschube M, Wieschaus E. Pulsed contractions of an actin-myosin network drive apical constriction. Nature. 2009;457:495-9 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest a new model for apical constriction in which a cortical actin-myosin cytoskeleton functions as a developmentally controlled subcellular ratchet to reduce apical area incrementally. ..
- Salzer C, Elias Y, Kumar J. The retinal determination gene eyes absent is regulated by the EGF receptor pathway throughout development in Drosophila. Genetics. 2010;184:185-97 pubmed publisher..Together these mechanisms provide a route for greater precision in regulating a factor that is critical for the formation of a wide range of diverse tissues. ..
- Petersen A, Katzenberger R, Wassarman D. The innate immune response transcription factor relish is necessary for neurodegeneration in a Drosophila model of ataxia-telangiectasia. Genetics. 2013;194:133-42 pubmed publisher..In summary, these findings suggest that neurodegeneration in human A-T is caused by activation of a specific NF-?B protein in glial cells. ..
- Abdu U, González Reyes A, Ghabrial A, Schupbach T. The Drosophila spn-D gene encodes a RAD51C-like protein that is required exclusively during meiosis. Genetics. 2003;165:197-204 pubmed..As there is no apparent ortholog of the meiosis-specific DMC1 gene in the Drosophila genome, and given their meiosis-specific requirement, we suggest that spn-B and spn-D may have a function comparable to DMC1. ..
- Fayazi Z, Ghosh S, Marion S, Bao X, Shero M, Kazemi Esfarjani P. A Drosophila ortholog of the human MRJ modulates polyglutamine toxicity and aggregation. Neurobiol Dis. 2006;24:226-44 pubmed..However, both proteins increased the level of detergent-soluble, monomeric polyQ-expanded proteins. These findings exemplify the functional similarities and differences between J domain proteins in suppressing polyQ toxicity. ..
- Le Thomas A, Rogers A, Webster A, Marinov G, Liao S, Perkins E, et al. Piwi induces piRNA-guided transcriptional silencing and establishment of a repressive chromatin state. Genes Dev. 2013;27:390-9 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that Piwi identifies targets complementary to the associated piRNA and induces transcriptional repression by establishing a repressive chromatin state when correct targets are found. ..
- Chau J, Kulnane L, Salz H. Sex-lethal enables germline stem cell differentiation by down-regulating Nanos protein levels during Drosophila oogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:9465-70 pubmed publisher..These findings connect sexual identity to the stem cell self-renewal/differentiation decision and highlight the importance of posttranscriptional gene regulatory networks in controlling stem cell behavior. ..
- Fan Y, Wang S, Hernandez J, Yenigun V, Hertlein G, Fogarty C, et al. Genetic models of apoptosis-induced proliferation decipher activation of JNK and identify a requirement of EGFR signaling for tissue regenerative responses in Drosophila. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004131 pubmed publisher..These data underscore the importance of genetic screening and promise an improved understanding of the mechanisms of apoptosis-induced proliferation. ..
- Ma Y, Certel K, Gao Y, Niemitz E, Mosher J, Mukherjee A, et al. Functional interactions between Drosophila bHLH/PAS, Sox, and POU transcription factors regulate CNS midline expression of the slit gene. J Neurosci. 2000;20:4596-605 pubmed..Functional interactions between members of these protein families may be important for numerous developmental and physiological processes. ..
- Park M, Moon R. The planar cell-polarity gene stbm regulates cell behaviour and cell fate in vertebrate embryos. Nat Cell Biol. 2002;4:20-5 pubmed
- Rogina B, Helfand S, Frankel S. Longevity regulation by Drosophila Rpd3 deacetylase and caloric restriction. Science. 2002;298:1745 pubmed
- Liu Y, Lehmann M. FOXO-independent suppression of programmed cell death by the PI3K/Akt signaling pathway in Drosophila. Dev Genes Evol. 2006;216:531-5 pubmed..These results give support to the notion that FOXOs have acquired pro-apoptotic functions after separation of the vertebrate and invertebrate lineages. ..
- Koutelou E, Sato S, Tomomori Sato C, Florens L, Swanson S, Washburn M, et al. Neuralized-like 1 (Neurl1) targeted to the plasma membrane by N-myristoylation regulates the Notch ligand Jagged1. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:3846-53 pubmed..Taken together, our results argue that Neurl1 at the plasma membrane can affect the signaling activity of Jagged1 by directly enhancing its ubiquitination and subsequent turnover. ..
- O Keefe D, Gonzalez Niño E, Burnett M, Dylla L, Lambeth S, Licon E, et al. Rap1 maintains adhesion between cells to affect Egfr signaling and planar cell polarity in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2009;333:143-60 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that Rap1 acts through the effector Canoe to regulate these developmental processes. ..
- Breen T, Chinwalla V, Harte P. Trithorax is required to maintain engrailed expression in a subset of engrailed-expressing cells. Mech Dev. 1995;52:89-98 pubmed..The trx protein binds to the region of the polytene chromosomes which contains the en gene, suggesting that trx regulates en expression directly by binding to the en regulatory region. ..