Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on drosophila proteins in Israel
Topic: drosophila proteins
- Pozner A, Goldenberg D, Negreanu V, Le S, Elroy Stein O, Levanon D, et al. Transcription-coupled translation control of AML1/RUNX1 is mediated by cap- and internal ribosome entry site-dependent mechanisms. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:2297-307 pubmed..This IRES-mediated translation regulation adds an important new dimension to the fine-tuned control of AML1 expression. ..
- Rosin D, Schejter E, Volk T, Shilo B. Apical accumulation of the Drosophila PDGF/VEGF receptor ligands provides a mechanism for triggering localized actin polymerization. Development. 2004;131:1939-48 pubmed..Together, these results suggest that polarized PVR activation is necessary for the proper organization of the wing disc epithelium, by regulating the apical assembly of the actin cytoskeleton...
- Giladi M, Bohbot H, Buki T, Schulze D, Hiller R, Khananshvili D. Dynamic features of allosteric Ca2+ sensor in tissue-specific NCX variants. Cell Calcium. 2012;51:478-85 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the spliced exons on CBD2 affect the rate-limiting step of the occluded Ca(2+) dissociation at the primary regulatory sensor to shape dynamic features of allosteric regulation in NCX variants. ..
- Rabinovich D, Yaniv S, Alyagor I, Schuldiner O. Nitric Oxide as a Switching Mechanism between Axon Degeneration and Regrowth during Developmental Remodeling. Cell. 2016;164:170-182 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that NO signaling provides a switching mechanism between the degenerative and regenerative states of neuronal remodeling. ..
- Nili E, Cojocaru G, Kalma Y, Ginsberg D, Copeland N, Gilbert D, et al. Nuclear membrane protein LAP2beta mediates transcriptional repression alone and together with its binding partner GCL (germ-cell-less). J Cell Sci. 2001;114:3297-307 pubmed..Co-expression of both LAP2beta and mGCL with the E2F-DP complex resulted in a reduced transcriptional activity equal to that exerted by the pRb protein. ..
- Steinberg R, Shemer Avni Y, Adler N, Neuman Silberberg S. Human cytomegalovirus immediate-early-gene expression disrupts embryogenesis in transgenic Drosophila. Transgenic Res. 2008;17:105-19 pubmed
- Wides R, Zak N, Shilo B. Enhancement of tyrosine kinase activity of the Drosophila epidermal growth factor receptor homolog by alterations of the transmembrane domain. Eur J Biochem. 1990;189:637-45 pubmed..These results also support the inclusion of DER within the tyrosine-kinase receptor family. ..
- Schweitzer R, Shaharabany M, Seger R, Shilo B. Secreted Spitz triggers the DER signaling pathway and is a limiting component in embryonic ventral ectoderm determination. Genes Dev. 1995;9:1518-29 pubmed..In embryos mutant for rho or Star the ventralizing effect of secreted Spitz is epistatic, suggesting that Rho and Star may normally facilitate processing of the Spitz precursor. ..
- Bitan A, Guild G, Bar Dubin D, Abdu U. Asymmetric microtubule function is an essential requirement for polarized organization of the Drosophila bristle. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:496-507 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results show that MTs are organized in a polarized manner within the highly elongated bristle and that this organization is essential for biased bristle axial growth. ..
- Dorfman R, Shilo B. Biphasic activation of the BMP pathway patterns the Drosophila embryonic dorsal region. Development. 2001;128:965-72 pubmed..In these subsequent phases pMad accumulates normally in the presence of ectopic Sog, in contrast to the early phase, indicating that Sog is only capable of blocking activation by Scw and not by Dpp. ..
- Abekhoukh S, Sahin H, Grossi M, Zongaro S, Maurin T, Madrigal I, et al. New insights into the regulatory function of CYFIP1 in the context of WAVE- and FMRP-containing complexes. Dis Model Mech. 2017;10:463-474 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results illustrate a new model to explain the cellular roles of FMRP and CYFIP1 and the molecular significance of their interaction. ..
- Zeev Ben Mordehai T, Rydberg E, Solomon A, Toker L, Auld V, Silman I, et al. The intracellular domain of the Drosophila cholinesterase-like neural adhesion protein, gliotactin, is natively unfolded. Proteins. 2003;53:758-67 pubmed..In addition, Gli-cyt was shown to possess charge and hydrophobic properties characteristic of natively unfolded proteins (i.e., proteins that, when purified, are intrinsically disordered under physiologic conditions in vitro). ..
- Motola S, Neuman Silberberg F. spoonbill, a new Drosophila female-sterile mutation, interferes with chromosome organization and dorsal-ventral patterning of the egg. Dev Dyn. 2004;230:535-45 pubmed..This finding places the spoonbill gene upstream of both pathways. ..
- Volk T. A new member of the spectrin superfamily may participate in the formation of embryonic muscle attachments in Drosophila. Development. 1992;116:721-30 pubmed..This protein could have a developmental role in the formation of muscle-ectoderm attachments and may be involved in myotube migration on the ectoderm. ..
- Hadad M, Bresler Musikant T, Neuman Silberberg F. Drosophila spoonbill encodes a dual-specificity A-kinase anchor protein essential for oogenesis. Mech Dev. 2011;128:471-82 pubmed publisher..Finally, we address some of spoonbill's mutant phenotypes from the perspective of the published data on the AKAP protein family. ..
- Silberberg S, Lagrutta A, Adelman J, Magleby K. Wanderlust kinetics and variable Ca(2+)-sensitivity of Drosophila, a large conductance Ca(2+)-activated K+ channel, expressed in oocytes. Biophys J. 1996;70:2640-51 pubmed..These findings indicate that cloned dSlo channels in excised patches from Xenopus oocytes can exhibit large variability in gating properties, both within a single channel and among channels. ..
- Napoletano F, Gibert B, Yacobi Sharon K, Vincent S, Favrot C, Mehlen P, et al. p53-dependent programmed necrosis controls germ cell homeostasis during spermatogenesis. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1007024 pubmed publisher..Drosophila and mouse spermatogenesis will thus be useful models to identify inducers of necrosis to treat cancers that are refractory to apoptosis. ..
- Massarwa R, Carmon S, Shilo B, Schejter E. WIP/WASp-based actin-polymerization machinery is essential for myoblast fusion in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2007;12:557-69 pubmed..These observations identify cellular and developmental roles for the WASp-Arp2/3 pathway, and provide a link between force-generating actin polymerization and cell fusion. ..
- Zallen J, Cohen Y, Hudson A, Cooley L, Wieschaus E, Schejter E. SCAR is a primary regulator of Arp2/3-dependent morphological events in Drosophila. J Cell Biol. 2002;156:689-701 pubmed
- Gildor B, Massarwa R, Shilo B, Schejter E. The SCAR and WASp nucleation-promoting factors act sequentially to mediate Drosophila myoblast fusion. EMBO Rep. 2009;10:1043-50 pubmed publisher..This observation further suggests that actin-filament accumulation at the fusion sites might not depend on Arp2/3 activity altogether. ..
- Gabay L, Seger R, Shilo B. MAP kinase in situ activation atlas during Drosophila embryogenesis. Development. 1997;124:3535-41 pubmed..Since the antibody was raised against the phosphorylated form of a conserved ERK peptide containing the TEY motif, this approach is applicable to a wide spectrum of multicellular organisms. ..
- Golembo M, Schweitzer R, Freeman M, Shilo B. Argos transcription is induced by the Drosophila EGF receptor pathway to form an inhibitory feedback loop. Development. 1996;122:223-30 pubmed..This type of inhibitory feedback loop may represent a general paradigm for signaling pathways inducing diverse cell fates within a population of non-committed cells. ..
- Schnur E, Turkov M, Kahn R, Gordon D, Gurevitz M, Anglister J. NMR analysis of interaction of LqhalphaIT scorpion toxin with a peptide corresponding to the D4/S3-S4 loop of insect para voltage-gated sodium channel. Biochemistry. 2008;47:911-21 pubmed..The contribution of LqV13 to NaV binding was further verified by mutagenesis. Future studies involving other extracellular regions of Navs are required for further characterization of the structure of the LqhalphaIT-Navs binding site. ..
- Shilo B, Raz E. Developmental control by the Drosophila EGF receptor homolog DER. Trends Genet. 1991;7:388-92 pubmed..We discuss the possible basis for the pleiotropic activity of DER, and the similarities and differences in the function of the homologous proteins in other invertebrates and vertebrates. ..
- Wappner P, Gabay L, Shilo B. Interactions between the EGF receptor and DPP pathways establish distinct cell fates in the tracheal placodes. Development. 1997;124:4707-16 pubmed..Antagonistic interactions between the two pathways are demonstrated. The opposing activities of two pathways may refine the final determination of tracheal branch fates. ..
- Rosenberg Hasson Y, Renert Pasca M, Volk T. A Drosophila dystrophin-related protein, MSP-300, is required for embryonic muscle morphogenesis. Mech Dev. 1996;60:83-94 pubmed
- Barad O, Hornstein E, Barkai N. Robust selection of sensory organ precursors by the Notch-Delta pathway. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2011;23:663-7 pubmed publisher..We discuss parameters affecting the rate of errors in this process, and the mechanism (inhibitory cis interaction between Notch and Delta) predicted to reduce this error. ..
- Lev S. The role of the Nir/rdgB protein family in membrane trafficking and cytoskeleton remodeling. Exp Cell Res. 2004;297:1-10 pubmed..Thus, these family members exert a broad spectrum of cellular functions and are involved in multiple cellular processes. The physiological functions of these closely related proteins are described in this review. ..
- Bergmann S, Sandler O, Sberro H, Shnider S, Schejter E, Shilo B, et al. Pre-steady-state decoding of the Bicoid morphogen gradient. PLoS Biol. 2007;5:e46 pubmed..This can explain the surprisingly small shifts in gap and pair-rule gene expression domains observed in response to alterations in bcd dosage. ..
- Rozenblatt Rosen O, Rozovskaia T, Burakov D, Sedkov Y, Tillib S, Blechman J, et al. The C-terminal SET domains of ALL-1 and TRITHORAX interact with the INI1 and SNR1 proteins, components of the SWI/SNF complex. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:4152-7 pubmed
- Ben Zvi D, Pyrowolakis G, Barkai N, Shilo B. Expansion-repression mechanism for scaling the Dpp activation gradient in Drosophila wing imaginal discs. Curr Biol. 2011;21:1391-6 pubmed publisher..The expansion-repression circuit can be readily implemented by a variety of molecular interactions, suggesting its general utilization for scaling morphogen gradients during development. ..
- Becker S, Pasca G, Strumpf D, Min L, Volk T. Reciprocal signaling between Drosophila epidermal muscle attachment cells and their corresponding muscles. Development. 1997;124:2615-22 pubmed..Following this binding, the muscle cells send a reciprocal signal to the epidermal muscle attachment cells inducing their terminal differentiation into tendon-like cells. ..
- Schweitzer R, Howes R, Smith R, Shilo B, Freeman M. Inhibition of Drosophila EGF receptor activation by the secreted protein Argos. Nature. 1995;376:699-702 pubmed..Thus the determination of cells by the DER pathway is regulated by a balance between extracellular activating and inhibiting signals. This is the first in vivo example of an extracellular inhibitor of a receptor tyrosine kinase. ..
- Dubin Bar D, Bitan A, Bakhrat A, Kaiden Hasson R, Etzion S, Shaanan B, et al. The Drosophila IKK-related kinase (Ik2) and Spindle-F proteins are part of a complex that regulates cytoskeleton organization during oogenesis. BMC Cell Biol. 2008;9:51 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, Ik2 in this complex does not function as a typical IKK in that it does not direct SpnF for degradation following phosphorylation. ..
- Reuveny A, Elhanany H, Volk T. Enhanced sensitivity of midline glial cells to apoptosis is achieved by HOW(L)-dependent repression of Diap1. Mech Dev. 2009;126:30-41 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that HOW(L) enhances the sensitivity of MG cells to apoptotic signals by reducing the levels of diap1 in these cells in, demonstrating a novel mode of regulation of PCD at the mRNA level. ..
- Yarnitzky T, Min L, Volk T. The Drosophila neuregulin homolog Vein mediates inductive interactions between myotubes and their epidermal attachment cells. Genes Dev. 1997;11:2691-700 pubmed..These results suggest that inductive interactions between myotubes and their epidermal muscle attachment cells are initiated by the binding of Vein, to the Egfr on the surface of EMA cells. ..
- Peretz G, Bakhrat A, Abdu U. Expression of the Drosophila melanogaster GADD45 homolog (CG11086) affects egg asymmetric development that is mediated by the c-Jun N-terminal kinase pathway. Genetics. 2007;177:1691-702 pubmed..We found that eggshell polarity defects caused by D-GADD45 overexpression were dominantly suppressed by mutations in the JNK pathway, suggesting that the JNK pathway has a novel, D-GADD45-mediated, function in the Drosophila germline. ..
- Pilpel N, Nezer I, Applebaum S, Heifetz Y. Mating-increases trypsin in female Drosophila hemolymph. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2008;38:320-30 pubmed publisher..melanogaster and that this is a specific example of Acp bioactivity regulated by hemolymph serine proteases. ..
- Wilk R, Weizman I, Shilo B. trachealess encodes a bHLH-PAS protein that is an inducer of tracheal cell fates in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 1996;10:93-102 pubmed..The role of Trachealess in the formation of several tubular tissues in the embryo suggests that it may induce a general fate of branched tubular structures of epithelial origin. ..
- Sapir A, Schweitzer R, Shilo B. Sequential activation of the EGF receptor pathway during Drosophila oogenesis establishes the dorsoventral axis. Development. 1998;125:191-200 pubmed..Rho thus appears to be involved in processing a DER ligand in the follicle cells, to pattern the egg chamber and allow persistent activation of the DER pathway during formation of the dorsal appendages. ..
- Spiegel I, Salomon D, Erne B, Schaeren Wiemers N, Peles E. Caspr3 and caspr4, two novel members of the caspr family are expressed in the nervous system and interact with PDZ domains. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2002;20:283-97 pubmed..The structural organization and distinct cellular distribution of Caspr3 and Caspr4 suggest a potential role of these proteins in cell recognition within the nervous system. ..
- Gilsohn E, Volk T. Slowdown promotes muscle integrity by modulating integrin-mediated adhesion at the myotendinous junction. Development. 2010;137:785-94 pubmed publisher..Our analysis implicates Slow as an essential component of the MTJ, crucial for ensuring muscle and tendon integrity during larval locomotion. ..
- Gilsohn E, Volk T. Fine tuning cellular recognition: The function of the leucine rich repeat (LRR) trans-membrane protein, LRT, in muscle targeting to tendon cells. Cell Adh Migr. 2010;4:368-71 pubmed..These results suggest a novel mechanism of intercellular recognition through interactions between LRR family members and Robo receptors. ..
- Gildor B, Schejter E, Shilo B. Bidirectional Notch activation represses fusion competence in swarming adult Drosophila myoblasts. Development. 2012;139:4040-50 pubmed publisher..The ensuing induction of proteins required for fusion enables myoblasts to fuse with the myotubes and give rise to subsequent muscle fiber growth...
- Haskel Ittah M, Ben Zvi D, Branski Arieli M, Schejter E, Shilo B, Barkai N. Self-organized shuttling: generating sharp dorsoventral polarity in the early Drosophila embryo. Cell. 2012;150:1016-28 pubmed publisher..Shuttling may represent a general paradigm for patterning early embryos. ..
- Bitan A, Rosenbaum I, Abdu U. Stable and dynamic microtubules coordinately determine and maintain Drosophila bristle shape. Development. 2012;139:1987-96 pubmed publisher..Thus, we demonstrate for the first time that coordination between stable and dynamic MT sets that are axially organized yet differently polarized drives cell elongation. ..
- Israeli D, Nir R, Volk T. Dissection of the target specificity of the RNA-binding protein HOW reveals dpp mRNA as a novel HOW target. Development. 2007;134:2107-14 pubmed..Thus, by characterizing the RNA sequences that bind HOW, we demonstrate a novel aspect of regulation, at the mRNA level, of Drosophila DPP. ..
- Reich A, Sapir A, Shilo B. Sprouty is a general inhibitor of receptor tyrosine kinase signaling. Development. 1999;126:4139-47 pubmed..The ability of ectopic Sprouty to rescue lethality caused by activated Raf suggests that it may impinge upon the pathway by interacting with Raf or downstream to it. ..
- Volohonsky G, Edenfeld G, Klämbt C, Volk T. Muscle-dependent maturation of tendon cells is induced by post-transcriptional regulation of stripeA. Development. 2007;134:347-56 pubmed..Thus, we demonstrate a mechanism by which tendon cell terminal differentiation is maintained and reinforced by the approaching muscle. ..
- Reiner O, Cahana A, Escamez T, Martinez S. LIS1-no more no less. Mol Psychiatry. 2002;7:12-6 pubmed..We discuss here the brain developmental phenotype observed in mice heterozygote for an N-terminal truncated LIS1 protein in view of known LIS1 protein interactions. ..
- Tsruya R, Schlesinger A, Reich A, Gabay L, Sapir A, Shilo B. Intracellular trafficking by Star regulates cleavage of the Drosophila EGF receptor ligand Spitz. Genes Dev. 2002;16:222-34 pubmed publisher..These results underscore the importance of regulated intracellular trafficking in processing of a TGFalpha family ligand...
- Salzberg A, Fisher O, Siman Tov R, Ankri S. Identification of methylated sequences in genomic DNA of adult Drosophila melanogaster. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004;322:465-9 pubmed..The methylation status of DNA encoding Gag, a protein involved in delivering the transposition template to its DNA target, was confirmed by sodium bisulfite sequencing. ..
- Ben Yaacov S, Le Borgne R, Abramson I, Schweisguth F, Schejter E. Wasp, the Drosophila Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome gene homologue, is required for cell fate decisions mediated by Notch signaling. J Cell Biol. 2001;152:1-13 pubmed..The nature of the Wsp mutant phenotypes, coupled with genetic interaction studies, identifies an essential role for Wsp in lineage decisions mediated by the Notch signaling pathway. ..
- Rom I, Faicevici A, Almog O, Neuman Silberberg F. Drosophila Dynein light chain (DDLC1) binds to gurken mRNA and is required for its localization. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2007;1773:1526-33 pubmed..Phenotypic analysis of ddlc1 mutants supports a role for DDLC1 in gurken RNA localization and anchoring as well as in correct positioning of the oocyte nucleus. ..
- Reich A, Shilo B. Keren, a new ligand of the Drosophila epidermal growth factor receptor, undergoes two modes of cleavage. EMBO J. 2002;21:4287-96 pubmed..Examining Spi/Krn chimeric and deletion constructs implicates the Spi cytoplasmic domain in inhibiting its basal activity. Low-level activity of Krn calls for tightly regulated expression of the Krn precursor. ..
- Banisch T, Maimon I, Dadosh T, Gilboa L. Escort cells generate a dynamic compartment for germline stem cell differentiation via combined Stat and Erk signalling. Development. 2017;144:1937-1947 pubmed publisher..It also explains how the differentiation compartment can establish extensive contacts with germ cells, while allowing a continual posterior movement of differentiating GSC daughters. ..
- Pilpel Y, Bogin O, Brumfeld V, Reich Z. Polyproline type II conformation in the C-terminal domain of the nuclear pore complex protein gp210. Biochemistry. 2003;42:3519-26 pubmed..We propose that PII elements in the CTD may play a role in its interaction with the NPC and may serve as recognition sites for regulatory proteins bearing WW or other, unknown PII-binding motifs. ..
- Subramanian A, Prokop A, Yamamoto M, Sugimura K, Uemura T, Betschinger J, et al. Shortstop recruits EB1/APC1 and promotes microtubule assembly at the muscle-tendon junction. Curr Biol. 2003;13:1086-95 pubmed..This is achieved by Shot association with the cytoplasmic faces of the basal hemiadherens junction and with the EB1/APC1 complex. ..
- Yogev S, Schejter E, Shilo B. Polarized secretion of Drosophila EGFR ligand from photoreceptor neurons is controlled by ER localization of the ligand-processing machinery. PLoS Biol. 2010;8: pubmed publisher..Following this trafficking step, secretion from the axons is regulated in a manner similar to secretion from cell bodies. These findings uncover a role for the ER in trafficking proteins from the neuronal cell body to axon terminus. ..
- Canaani E, Nakamura T, Rozovskaia T, Smith S, Mori T, Croce C, et al. ALL-1/MLL1, a homologue of Drosophila TRITHORAX, modifies chromatin and is directly involved in infant acute leukaemia. Br J Cancer. 2004;90:756-60 pubmed..Here, we describe the unique features of ALL-1-associated leukaemias, and recent progress in understanding molecular mechanisms involved in the activity of the ALL-1 protein and of its Drosophila homologue TRITHORAX. ..
- Gabay L, Seger R, Shilo B. In situ activation pattern of Drosophila EGF receptor pathway during development. Science. 1997;277:1103-6 pubmed..This in situ approach can be used to monitor other receptor-triggered pathways in a wide range of organisms. ..
- Sapir A, Assa Kunik E, Tsruya R, Schejter E, Shilo B. Unidirectional Notch signaling depends on continuous cleavage of Delta. Development. 2005;132:123-32 pubmed..Proteolytic cleavage of Dl by Kul represents a general mechanism for refining and maintaining the asymmetric distribution of Dl, in cases where transcriptional repression of Dl expression does not suffice to eliminate Dl protein. ..
- Reichman Fried M, Dickson B, Hafen E, Shilo B. Elucidation of the role of breathless, a Drosophila FGF receptor homolog, in tracheal cell migration. Genes Dev. 1994;8:428-39 pubmed
- Peretz G, Arie L, Bakhrat A, Abdu U. The Drosophila hus1 gene is required for homologous recombination repair during meiosis. Mech Dev. 2009;126:677-86 pubmed publisher..Together, our results imply that hus1 is required for repair of DSBs during meiotic recombination...
- Zeev Ben Mordehai T, Paz A, Peleg Y, Toker L, Wolf S, Rydberg E, et al. Amalgam, an axon guidance Drosophila adhesion protein belonging to the immunoglobulin superfamily: over-expression, purification and biophysical characterization. Protein Expr Purif. 2009;63:147-57 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, both purified fractions of amalgam were shown to interact with Torpedo californica acetylcholinesterase, a structural homolog of neurotactin. ..
- Levanon D, Goldstein R, Bernstein Y, Tang H, Goldenberg D, Stifani S, et al. Transcriptional repression by AML1 and LEF-1 is mediated by the TLE/Groucho corepressors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:11590-5 pubmed..These data indicate that, in addition to their activity as transcriptional activators, AML1 and LEF-1 can act, through recruitment of the corepressor TLE1, as transcriptional repressors in TCR regulation and Wnt/Wg signaling. ..
- Yissachar N, Sharar Fischler T, Cohen A, Reich Zeliger S, Russ D, Shifrut E, et al. Dynamic response diversity of NFAT isoforms in individual living cells. Mol Cell. 2013;49:322-30 pubmed publisher..We suggest that dynamic response diversity of seemingly redundant genes can provide cells with enhanced capabilities of temporal information processing. ..
- Amsalem S, Bakrhat A, Otani T, Hayashi S, Goldstein B, Abdu U. Drosophila oocyte polarity and cytoskeleton organization require regulation of Ik2 activity by Spn-F and Javelin-like. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:4371-80 pubmed publisher..In summary, our results demonstrate that Spn-F mediates the interaction between Ik2 and Jvl to control Ik2 activity. ..
- Shwartz A, Yogev S, Schejter E, Shilo B. Sequential activation of ETS proteins provides a sustained transcriptional response to EGFR signaling. Development. 2013;140:2746-54 pubmed publisher..Pulse-chase experiments indicate that PntP1 is stable for several hours in the eye disc. Sequential ETS-protein recruitment therefore allows sustained induction of target genes, beyond the transient activation of EGFR. ..
- Harpaz N, Ordan E, Ocorr K, Bodmer R, Volk T. Multiplexin promotes heart but not aorta morphogenesis by polarized enhancement of slit/robo activity at the heart lumen. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003597 pubmed publisher..This regulation is essential for the morphogenetic changes that sculpt the heart tube in Drosophila, and possibly in forming the vertebrates primary heart tube. ..
- Schejter E, Shilo B. The Drosophila EGF receptor homolog (DER) gene is allelic to faint little ball, a locus essential for embryonic development. Cell. 1989;56:1093-104 pubmed..Mutations in DER were shown to be allelic to the previously described locus faint little ball. ..
- Shmueli A, Cohen Gazala O, Neuman Silberberg F. Gurken, a TGF-alpha-like protein involved in axis determination in Drosophila, directly binds to the EGF-receptor homolog Egfr. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;291:732-7 pubmed..Furthermore, we provide evidence that this characteristic motif may be sufficient for interaction with the receptor, at list in vitro. Our results firmly establish Gurken as the germline ligand of Drosophila Egfr. ..
- Elhanany Tamir H, Yu Y, Shnayder M, Jain A, WELTE M, Volk T. Organelle positioning in muscles requires cooperation between two KASH proteins and microtubules. J Cell Biol. 2012;198:833-46 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results describe a novel mechanism of nuclear spacing in striated muscles controlled by the cooperative activity of MSP-300, Klar, and astral MTs, and demonstrate its physiological significance. ..
- Simakov D, Cheung L, Pismen L, Shvartsman S. EGFR-dependent network interactions that pattern Drosophila eggshell appendages. Development. 2012;139:2814-20 pubmed publisher..The model describes pattern formation in a large number of mutants and points to several unanswered questions related to the dynamic interaction of the EGFR and Notch pathways. ..
- Moshitzky P, Fleischmann I, Chaimov N, Saudan P, Klauser S, Kubli E, et al. Sex-peptide activates juvenile hormone biosynthesis in the Drosophila melanogaster corpus allatum. Arch Insect Biochem Physiol. 1996;32:363-74 pubmed..Our results suggest that the CA is a direct target for SP in vivo and that sexual maturity is established separately for the two post-mating reactions. ..
- Dubin Bar D, Bitan A, Bakhrat A, Amsalem S, Abdu U. Drosophila javelin-like encodes a novel microtubule-associated protein and is required for mRNA localization during oogenesis. Development. 2011;138:4661-71 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results show that we have identified a novel MT-associated protein that affects mRNA localization in the oocyte by regulating MT organization. ..
- Shapira S, Bakhrat A, Bitan A, Abdu U. The Drosophila javelin gene encodes a novel actin-associated protein required for actin assembly in the bristle. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:4582-92 pubmed publisher..Thus, we report that Jv is a novel actin-associated protein required for actin assembly during Drosophila bristle development. ..
- Yogev S, Schejter E, Shilo B. Drosophila EGFR signalling is modulated by differential compartmentalization of Rhomboid intramembrane proteases. EMBO J. 2008;27:1219-30 pubmed publisher..These observations identify changes in intracellular compartment localization of Rho proteins as a basis for signal attenuation, in tissues where EGFR activation must be highly restricted in space and time. ..
- Melen G, Levy S, Barkai N, Shilo B. Threshold responses to morphogen gradients by zero-order ultrasensitivity. Mol Syst Biol. 2005;1:2005.0028 pubmed..We propose that a reversible loop of Yan phosphorylation implements a zero-order ultrasensitivity-like threshold mechanism, with the capacity to form sharp thresholds that are independent of the level of Yan. ..
- Cohen S, Agmon N, Yacobi K, Mislovati M, Segal D. Evidence for rolling circle replication of tandem genes in Drosophila. Nucleic Acids Res. 2005;33:4519-26 pubmed..RCIs are detected throughout the life cycle of Drosophila and in cultured fly cells. These structures are found regardless of the expression of the replicated gene or of its chromosomal copy number. ..
- Dorfman R, Shilo B, Volk T. Stripe provides cues synergizing with branchless to direct tracheal cell migration. Dev Biol. 2002;252:119-26 pubmed..Although the FGF ligand Branchless (Bnl) is expressed in a subset of tendon-precursor cells independently of Sr, Bnl functions cooperatively with proteins induced by Sr in attraction of tracheal branches. ..
- Rousso T, Lynch J, Yogev S, Roth S, Schejter E, Shilo B. Generation of distinct signaling modes via diversification of the Egfr ligand-processing cassette. Development. 2010;137:3427-37 pubmed publisher..Diversification of the Egfr signaling pathway appears to have coupled gene duplication events with modulation of the biochemical properties and subcellular localization patterns of Rhomboid proteases and their substrates...
- Massarwa R, Schejter E, Shilo B. Apical secretion in epithelial tubes of the Drosophila embryo is directed by the Formin-family protein Diaphanous. Dev Cell. 2009;16:877-88 pubmed publisher..This mechanism allows efficient utilization of the entire apical membrane for secretion. ..
- Lev N, Roncevic D, Roncevich D, Ickowicz D, Melamed E, Offen D. Role of DJ-1 in Parkinson's disease. J Mol Neurosci. 2006;29:215-25 pubmed..This article reviews the current knowledge on DJ-1, focusing on its importance in the pathogenesis of PD. ..
- Nabel Rosen H, Toledano Katchalski H, Volohonsky G, Volk T. Cell divisions in the drosophila embryonic mesoderm are repressed via posttranscriptional regulation of string/cdc25 by HOW. Curr Biol. 2005;15:295-302 pubmed..Thus, we are proposing a novel posttranscriptional mechanism controlling cell-cycle progression in the Drosophila embryo. ..
- Levanon D, Negreanu V, Bernstein Y, Bar Am I, Avivi L, Groner Y. AML1, AML2, and AML3, the human members of the runt domain gene-family: cDNA structure, expression, and chromosomal localization. Genomics. 1994;23:425-32 pubmed..Analysis of AML1 and AML2 expression in hematopoietic cell lines revealed a distinct pattern of expression. ..
- Nagalakshmi V, Applebaum S, Kubli E, Choffat Y, Rafaeli A. The presence of Drosophila melanogaster sex peptide-like immunoreactivity in the accessory glands of male Helicoverpa armigera. J Insect Physiol. 2004;50:241-8 pubmed..Lower levels of DrmSP-like immunoreactivity were found in younger males (1-2 day-old) when compared to older males (3-7 day-old). ..
- Rosin D, Shilo B. Branch-specific migration cues in the Drosophila tracheal system. Bioessays. 2002;24:110-3 pubmed..In particular, the paper by Boube et al(1) demonstrates a role for PS integrins in promoting migration of a specific tracheal branch. ..