Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on drosophila melanogaster in Israel
Topic: drosophila melanogaster
- Kapelnikov A, Zelinger E, Gottlieb Y, Rhrissorrakrai K, Gunsalus K, Heifetz Y. Mating induces an immune response and developmental switch in the Drosophila oviduct. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:13912-7 pubmed publisher..Our combined results indicate that mating triggers molecular and biochemical changes that mediate progression from a "poised" state to a mature, functional stage...
- Corfas G, Dudai Y. Adaptation and fatigue of a mechanosensory neuron in wild-type Drosophila and in memory mutants. J Neurosci. 1990;10:491-9 pubmed..The experimental system described here could also be useful for neurogenetic dissection of mechanosensory transduction. ..
- Zhao K, Harel A, Stuurman N, Guedalia D, Gruenbaum Y. Binding of matrix attachment regions to nuclear lamin is mediated by the rod domain and depends on the lamin polymerization state. FEBS Lett. 1996;380:161-4 pubmed..These data suggest that the specific binding of lamins to M/SARs requires the rod domain and depends on the lamin polymerization state. ..
- Barardo D, Thornton D, Thoppil H, Walsh M, Sharifi S, Ferreira S, et al. The DrugAge database of aging-related drugs. Aging Cell. 2017;16:594-597 pubmed publisher..DrugAge is freely available online for the scientific community and will be an important resource for biogerontologists...
- Gabay L, Scholz H, Golembo M, Klaes A, Shilo B, Klämbt C. EGF receptor signaling induces pointed P1 transcription and inactivates Yan protein in the Drosophila embryonic ventral ectoderm. Development. 1996;122:3355-62 pubmed..The simultaneous effects of the DER pathway on pntP1 induction and Yan inactivation may contribute to the definition of the border of the ventralmost cell fates. ..
- Shapira S, Bakhrat A, Bitan A, Abdu U. The Drosophila javelin gene encodes a novel actin-associated protein required for actin assembly in the bristle. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:4582-92 pubmed publisher..Thus, we report that Jv is a novel actin-associated protein required for actin assembly during Drosophila bristle development. ..
- Gancz D, Gilboa L. Insulin and Target of rapamycin signaling orchestrate the development of ovarian niche-stem cell units in Drosophila. Development. 2013;140:4145-54 pubmed publisher..Our work further identifies a novel step in the regulation of germ cell differentiation by demonstrating that following bag of marbles expression, cyst formation requires an additional hormonal input. ..
- Elhanany Tamir H, Yu Y, Shnayder M, Jain A, WELTE M, Volk T. Organelle positioning in muscles requires cooperation between two KASH proteins and microtubules. J Cell Biol. 2012;198:833-46 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results describe a novel mechanism of nuclear spacing in striated muscles controlled by the cooperative activity of MSP-300, Klar, and astral MTs, and demonstrate its physiological significance. ..
- Altaratz M, Applebaum S, Richard D, Gilbert L, Segal D. Regulation of juvenile hormone synthesis in wild-type and apterous mutant Drosophila. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 1991;81:205-16 pubmed..Allatostatin production in the brain appears to be positively regulated by JHB3. Adult corpora allata from the mutants ap4 and ap56f synthesize very low levels of JH; additionally, brains of ap56f homozygotes lack allatostatic activity. ..
- Gildor B, Massarwa R, Shilo B, Schejter E. The SCAR and WASp nucleation-promoting factors act sequentially to mediate Drosophila myoblast fusion. EMBO Rep. 2009;10:1043-50 pubmed publisher..This observation further suggests that actin-filament accumulation at the fusion sites might not depend on Arp2/3 activity altogether. ..
- Barad O, Rosin D, Hornstein E, Barkai N. Error minimization in lateral inhibition circuits. Sci Signal. 2010;3:ra51 pubmed publisher..We propose that susceptibility to errors distinguishes seemingly equivalent designs of developmental circuits regulating pattern formation. ..
- Hatan M, Shinder V, Israeli D, Schnorrer F, Volk T. The Drosophila blood brain barrier is maintained by GPCR-dependent dynamic actin structures. J Cell Biol. 2011;192:307-19 pubmed publisher..The localization of the ARSs close to the septate junctions enables efficient sealing of membrane gaps formed during nerve cord growth. ..
- Shilo B, Raz E. Developmental control by the Drosophila EGF receptor homolog DER. Trends Genet. 1991;7:388-92 pubmed..We discuss the possible basis for the pleiotropic activity of DER, and the similarities and differences in the function of the homologous proteins in other invertebrates and vertebrates. ..
- Sagi O, Wolfson M, Utko N, Muradian K, Fraifeld V. p66ShcA and ageing: modulation by longevity-promoting agent aurintricarboxylic acid. Mech Ageing Dev. 2005;126:249-54 pubmed..The results support the suggested role for the p66ShcA as one of the lifespan determinants in mammals; p66ShcA therefore represents a potential target for pharmacological longevity-promoting intervention. ..
- Jaaro H, Beck G, Conticello S, Fainzilber M. Evolving better brains: a need for neurotrophins?. Trends Neurosci. 2001;24:79-85 pubmed..Expansion of the genome projects to other invertebrates, such as molluscs and coelenterates, should provide new insights on the molecular correlates of building complex brains. ..
- Napoletano F, Gibert B, Yacobi Sharon K, Vincent S, Favrot C, Mehlen P, et al. p53-dependent programmed necrosis controls germ cell homeostasis during spermatogenesis. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1007024 pubmed publisher..Drosophila and mouse spermatogenesis will thus be useful models to identify inducers of necrosis to treat cancers that are refractory to apoptosis. ..
- Tal T, Vaizel Ohayon D, Schejter E. Conserved interactions with cytoskeletal but not signaling elements are an essential aspect of Drosophila WASp function. Dev Biol. 2002;243:260-71 pubmed..In contrast, we find that association with the key signaling molecules CDC42 and PIP2 is not an essential requirement, implying that activation of Wsp function in vivo depends on additional or alternative signaling pathways. ..
- Harel M, Kryger G, Rosenberry T, Mallender W, Lewis T, Fletcher R, et al. Three-dimensional structures of Drosophila melanogaster acetylcholinesterase and of its complexes with two potent inhibitors. Protein Sci. 2000;9:1063-72 pubmed..Some differences in activity and specificity between the insect and vertebrate enzymes can be explained by comparison of their three-dimensional structures. ..
- Florentin A, Arama E. Caspase levels and execution efficiencies determine the apoptotic potential of the cell. J Cell Biol. 2012;196:513-27 pubmed publisher..Finally, we provide evidence for the existence of a cellular execution threshold of caspase activity, which must be reached to induce apoptosis. ..
- Kadir R, Bakhrat A, Tokarsky R, Abdu U. Localization of the Drosophila Rad9 protein to the nuclear membrane is regulated by the C-terminal region and is affected in the meiotic checkpoint. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e38010 pubmed publisher..Thus, by studying the localization pattern of DmRad9, our study reveals that the DmRad9A C-terminal region targets the protein to the nuclear membrane, where it might play a role in response to the activation of the meiotic checkpoint. ..
- Schnur E, Turkov M, Kahn R, Gordon D, Gurevitz M, Anglister J. NMR analysis of interaction of LqhalphaIT scorpion toxin with a peptide corresponding to the D4/S3-S4 loop of insect para voltage-gated sodium channel. Biochemistry. 2008;47:911-21 pubmed..The contribution of LqV13 to NaV binding was further verified by mutagenesis. Future studies involving other extracellular regions of Navs are required for further characterization of the structure of the LqhalphaIT-Navs binding site. ..
- Simakov D, Cheung L, Pismen L, Shvartsman S. EGFR-dependent network interactions that pattern Drosophila eggshell appendages. Development. 2012;139:2814-20 pubmed publisher..The model describes pattern formation in a large number of mutants and points to several unanswered questions related to the dynamic interaction of the EGFR and Notch pathways. ..
- Lev N, Roncevic D, Roncevich D, Ickowicz D, Melamed E, Offen D. Role of DJ-1 in Parkinson's disease. J Mol Neurosci. 2006;29:215-25 pubmed..This article reviews the current knowledge on DJ-1, focusing on its importance in the pathogenesis of PD. ..
- Eldar A, Dorfman R, Weiss D, Ashe H, Shilo B, Barkai N. Robustness of the BMP morphogen gradient in Drosophila embryonic patterning. Nature. 2002;419:304-8 pubmed..We show experimentally that Dpp is widely diffusible in the presence of Sog but tightly localized in its absence, thus validating a central prediction of our theoretical study. ..
- Rabinovich D, Yaniv S, Alyagor I, Schuldiner O. Nitric Oxide as a Switching Mechanism between Axon Degeneration and Regrowth during Developmental Remodeling. Cell. 2016;164:170-182 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that NO signaling provides a switching mechanism between the degenerative and regenerative states of neuronal remodeling. ..
- Cohen S, Agmon N, Yacobi K, Mislovati M, Segal D. Evidence for rolling circle replication of tandem genes in Drosophila. Nucleic Acids Res. 2005;33:4519-26 pubmed..RCIs are detected throughout the life cycle of Drosophila and in cultured fly cells. These structures are found regardless of the expression of the replicated gene or of its chromosomal copy number. ..
- Salzberg A, Fisher O, Siman Tov R, Ankri S. Identification of methylated sequences in genomic DNA of adult Drosophila melanogaster. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004;322:465-9 pubmed..The methylation status of DNA encoding Gag, a protein involved in delivering the transposition template to its DNA target, was confirmed by sodium bisulfite sequencing. ..
- Abekhoukh S, Sahin H, Grossi M, Zongaro S, Maurin T, Madrigal I, et al. New insights into the regulatory function of CYFIP1 in the context of WAVE- and FMRP-containing complexes. Dis Model Mech. 2017;10:463-474 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results illustrate a new model to explain the cellular roles of FMRP and CYFIP1 and the molecular significance of their interaction. ..
- Orgad S, Brewis N, Alphey L, Axton J, Dudai Y, Cohen P. The structure of protein phosphatase 2A is as highly conserved as that of protein phosphatase 1. FEBS Lett. 1990;275:44-8 pubmed..The deduced amino acid sequence (309 residues) of Drosophila PP2A shows 94% identity with either rabbit PP2A alpha or PP2A beta, indicating that PP2A may be the most conserved of all known enzymes. ..
- Hanin O, Azrielli A, Zakin V, Applebaum S, Rafaeli A. Identification and differential expression of a sex-peptide receptor in Helicoverpa armigera. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2011;41:537-44 pubmed publisher..After mating SP-R transcript levels in female neural tissues and pheromone glands are up-regulated. Physiological studies in vivo confirm the up-regulation of gene expression levels in pheromone glands isolated from mated females. ..
- Yagil G. The over-representation of binary DNA tracts in seven sequenced chromosomes. BMC Genomics. 2004;5:19 pubmed..Here we report the systematic mapping of all six binary combinations on the level of complete sequenced chromosomes, as well as in their different subregions...
- Gilsohn E, Volk T. A screen for tendon-specific genes uncovers new and old components involved in muscle-tendon interaction. Fly (Austin). 2010;4:149-53 pubmed..1,2) The regulation of many of these events is still poorly understood, driving us to search for novel mechanisms that enable the functionality of the contractile tissue...
- Heifetz Y, Rivlin P. Beyond the mouse model: using Drosophila as a model for sperm interaction with the female reproductive tract. Theriogenology. 2010;73:723-39 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we discuss how the study of multiple sperm storage organ types in Drosophila may help us identify factors essential for sperm viability and, moreover, factors that promote long-term sperm survivorship. ..
- Zeev Ben Mordehai T, Paz A, Peleg Y, Toker L, Wolf S, Rydberg E, et al. Amalgam, an axon guidance Drosophila adhesion protein belonging to the immunoglobulin superfamily: over-expression, purification and biophysical characterization. Protein Expr Purif. 2009;63:147-57 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, both purified fractions of amalgam were shown to interact with Torpedo californica acetylcholinesterase, a structural homolog of neurotactin. ..
- Reiner O, Cahana A, Escamez T, Martinez S. LIS1-no more no less. Mol Psychiatry. 2002;7:12-6 pubmed..We discuss here the brain developmental phenotype observed in mice heterozygote for an N-terminal truncated LIS1 protein in view of known LIS1 protein interactions. ..
- Rosin D, Schejter E, Volk T, Shilo B. Apical accumulation of the Drosophila PDGF/VEGF receptor ligands provides a mechanism for triggering localized actin polymerization. Development. 2004;131:1939-48 pubmed..Together, these results suggest that polarized PVR activation is necessary for the proper organization of the wing disc epithelium, by regulating the apical assembly of the actin cytoskeleton...
- Banisch T, Maimon I, Dadosh T, Gilboa L. Escort cells generate a dynamic compartment for germline stem cell differentiation via combined Stat and Erk signalling. Development. 2017;144:1937-1947 pubmed publisher..It also explains how the differentiation compartment can establish extensive contacts with germ cells, while allowing a continual posterior movement of differentiating GSC daughters. ..
- Massarwa R, Carmon S, Shilo B, Schejter E. WIP/WASp-based actin-polymerization machinery is essential for myoblast fusion in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2007;12:557-69 pubmed..These observations identify cellular and developmental roles for the WASp-Arp2/3 pathway, and provide a link between force-generating actin polymerization and cell fusion. ..
- Harel A, Zlotkin E, Nainudel Epszteyn S, Feinstein N, Fisher P, Gruenbaum Y. Persistence of major nuclear envelope antigens in an envelope-like structure during mitosis in Drosophila melanogaster embryos. J Cell Sci. 1989;94 ( Pt 3):463-70 pubmed..This 'spindle envelope', as it has been named by others, contains both lamin and otefin but probably not pore complex proteins. ..
- Amsalem S, Bakrhat A, Otani T, Hayashi S, Goldstein B, Abdu U. Drosophila oocyte polarity and cytoskeleton organization require regulation of Ik2 activity by Spn-F and Javelin-like. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:4371-80 pubmed publisher..In summary, our results demonstrate that Spn-F mediates the interaction between Ik2 and Jvl to control Ik2 activity. ..
- Bitan A, Rosenbaum I, Abdu U. Stable and dynamic microtubules coordinately determine and maintain Drosophila bristle shape. Development. 2012;139:1987-96 pubmed publisher..Thus, we demonstrate for the first time that coordination between stable and dynamic MT sets that are axially organized yet differently polarized drives cell elongation. ..
- Litvak V, Tian D, Carmon S, Lev S. Nir2, a human homolog of Drosophila melanogaster retinal degeneration B protein, is essential for cytokinesis. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:5064-75 pubmed..These results provide new insight into the cellular functions of Nir2 and introduce it as a novel regulator of cytokinesis. ..
- Bitan A, Guild G, Bar Dubin D, Abdu U. Asymmetric microtubule function is an essential requirement for polarized organization of the Drosophila bristle. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:496-507 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results show that MTs are organized in a polarized manner within the highly elongated bristle and that this organization is essential for biased bristle axial growth. ..
- Peretz G, Arie L, Bakhrat A, Abdu U. The Drosophila hus1 gene is required for homologous recombination repair during meiosis. Mech Dev. 2009;126:677-86 pubmed publisher..Together, our results imply that hus1 is required for repair of DSBs during meiotic recombination...
- Dorfman R, Shilo B. Biphasic activation of the BMP pathway patterns the Drosophila embryonic dorsal region. Development. 2001;128:965-72 pubmed..In these subsequent phases pMad accumulates normally in the presence of ectopic Sog, in contrast to the early phase, indicating that Sog is only capable of blocking activation by Scw and not by Dpp. ..
- Rotkopf S, Hamberg Y, Aigaki T, Snapper S, Shilo B, Schejter E. The WASp-based actin polymerization machinery is required in somatic support cells for spermatid maturation and release. Development. 2011;138:2729-39 pubmed publisher..A requirement for WASp-based activity in somatic support cells therefore appears to be a universal feature of spermatogenesis. ..
- Milo R, Itzkovitz S, Kashtan N, Levitt R, Shen Orr S, Ayzenshtat I, et al. Superfamilies of evolved and designed networks. Science. 2004;303:1538-42 pubmed..Additional superfamilies include power grids, protein-structure networks and geometric networks, World Wide Web links and social networks, and word-adjacency networks from different languages. ..
- Dubin Bar D, Bitan A, Bakhrat A, Amsalem S, Abdu U. Drosophila javelin-like encodes a novel microtubule-associated protein and is required for mRNA localization during oogenesis. Development. 2011;138:4661-71 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results show that we have identified a novel MT-associated protein that affects mRNA localization in the oocyte by regulating MT organization. ..
- Golembo M, Yarnitzky T, Volk T, Shilo B. Vein expression is induced by the EGF receptor pathway to provide a positive feedback loop in patterning the Drosophila embryonic ventral ectoderm. Genes Dev. 1999;13:158-62 pubmed..In the absence of Vein, lateral cell fates are not induced when Spitz levels are compromised. The positive feedback loop of Vein generates a robust mechanism for patterning the ventral ectoderm. ..
- Gildor B, Massarwa R, Shilo B, Schejter E. Making muscles: Arp, two, three. Fly (Austin). 2010;4:145-8 pubmed..Our approach also allows us to assess the involvement of the Arp2/3 machinery in formation of a distinct, fusion-associated actin structure. ..
- Giladi M, Bohbot H, Buki T, Schulze D, Hiller R, Khananshvili D. Dynamic features of allosteric Ca2+ sensor in tissue-specific NCX variants. Cell Calcium. 2012;51:478-85 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the spliced exons on CBD2 affect the rate-limiting step of the occluded Ca(2+) dissociation at the primary regulatory sensor to shape dynamic features of allosteric regulation in NCX variants. ..
- Harpaz N, Ordan E, Ocorr K, Bodmer R, Volk T. Multiplexin promotes heart but not aorta morphogenesis by polarized enhancement of slit/robo activity at the heart lumen. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003597 pubmed publisher..This regulation is essential for the morphogenetic changes that sculpt the heart tube in Drosophila, and possibly in forming the vertebrates primary heart tube. ..
- Dorfman R, Glazer L, Weihe U, Wernet M, Shilo B. Elbow and Noc define a family of zinc finger proteins controlling morphogenesis of specific tracheal branches. Development. 2002;129:3585-96 pubmed..ElB also associates with the Groucho protein, indicating that the complex has the capacity to repress transcription of target genes. Indeed, in elB or noc mutants, expanded expression of tracheal branch-specific genes was observed. ..
- Shtorch A, Werczberger R, Segal D. Genetic and molecular studies of apterous: a gene implicated in the juvenile hormone system of Drosophila. Arch Insect Biochem Physiol. 1995;30:195-209 pubmed..Finally, primer extension is used to determine the transcription start site of the gene. ..
- Yogev S, Schejter E, Shilo B. Polarized secretion of Drosophila EGFR ligand from photoreceptor neurons is controlled by ER localization of the ligand-processing machinery. PLoS Biol. 2010;8: pubmed publisher..Following this trafficking step, secretion from the axons is regulated in a manner similar to secretion from cell bodies. These findings uncover a role for the ER in trafficking proteins from the neuronal cell body to axon terminus. ..
- Wayburn B, Volk T. LRT, a tendon-specific leucine-rich repeat protein, promotes muscle-tendon targeting through its interaction with Robo. Development. 2009;136:3607-15 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data suggest a novel mechanism by which muscles are targeted towards tendon cells as a result of LRT-Robo interactions. This mechanism may apply to the Robo-dependent migration of a wide variety of cell types. ..
- Sapir A, Assa Kunik E, Tsruya R, Schejter E, Shilo B. Unidirectional Notch signaling depends on continuous cleavage of Delta. Development. 2005;132:123-32 pubmed..Proteolytic cleavage of Dl by Kul represents a general mechanism for refining and maintaining the asymmetric distribution of Dl, in cases where transcriptional repression of Dl expression does not suffice to eliminate Dl protein. ..
- Bergmann S, Ihmels J, Barkai N. Similarities and differences in genome-wide expression data of six organisms. PLoS Biol. 2004;2:E9 pubmed..Our results demonstrate the potential of combining sequence and expression data for improving functional gene annotation and expanding our understanding of how gene expression and diversity evolved. ..
- Schweitzer R, Shaharabany M, Seger R, Shilo B. Secreted Spitz triggers the DER signaling pathway and is a limiting component in embryonic ventral ectoderm determination. Genes Dev. 1995;9:1518-29 pubmed..In embryos mutant for rho or Star the ventralizing effect of secreted Spitz is epistatic, suggesting that Rho and Star may normally facilitate processing of the Spitz precursor. ..
- Gilsohn E, Volk T. Fine tuning cellular recognition: The function of the leucine rich repeat (LRR) trans-membrane protein, LRT, in muscle targeting to tendon cells. Cell Adh Migr. 2010;4:368-71 pubmed..These results suggest a novel mechanism of intercellular recognition through interactions between LRR family members and Robo receptors. ..
- Ben Zvi D, Pyrowolakis G, Barkai N, Shilo B. Expansion-repression mechanism for scaling the Dpp activation gradient in Drosophila wing imaginal discs. Curr Biol. 2011;21:1391-6 pubmed publisher..The expansion-repression circuit can be readily implemented by a variety of molecular interactions, suggesting its general utilization for scaling morphogen gradients during development. ..
- Bar Dolev M, Celik Y, Wettlaufer J, Davies P, Braslavsky I. New insights into ice growth and melting modifications by antifreeze proteins. J R Soc Interface. 2012;9:3249-59 pubmed publisher..This study provides key aspects associated with the identification of hyperactive AFPs. ..
- Levy Holtzman R, Clos J, Schechter I. Differences in DNA sequence recognition by the heat-shock factors of Drosophila melanogaster and the parasitic helminth Schistosoma mansoni. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1995;1264:134-40 pubmed..In analogy to other systems of ligand-protein interactions, we propose that the complementarity between the HSE ligand and the HSF protein is higher in SmHSF, as compared to DmHSF. ..
- Pilpel N, Nezer I, Applebaum S, Heifetz Y. Mating-increases trypsin in female Drosophila hemolymph. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2008;38:320-30 pubmed publisher..melanogaster and that this is a specific example of Acp bioactivity regulated by hemolymph serine proteases. ..
- Rosin D, Shilo B. Branch-specific migration cues in the Drosophila tracheal system. Bioessays. 2002;24:110-3 pubmed..In particular, the paper by Boube et al(1) demonstrates a role for PS integrins in promoting migration of a specific tracheal branch. ..
- Orme M, Liccardi G, Moderau N, Feltham R, Wicky John S, Tenev T, et al. The unconventional myosin CRINKLED and its mammalian orthologue MYO7A regulate caspases in their signalling roles. Nat Commun. 2016;7:10972 pubmed publisher..Together, our results expose a conserved role for unconventional myosins in transducing caspase-dependent regulation of kinases, allowing them to take part in specific signalling events. ..
- Bar On P, Millard C, Harel M, Dvir H, Enz A, Sussman J, et al. Kinetic and structural studies on the interaction of cholinesterases with the anti-Alzheimer drug rivastigmine. Biochemistry. 2002;41:3555-64 pubmed..This movement may provide an explanation for the unusually slow kinetics of reactivation. ..
- Massarwa R, Schejter E, Shilo B. Apical secretion in epithelial tubes of the Drosophila embryo is directed by the Formin-family protein Diaphanous. Dev Cell. 2009;16:877-88 pubmed publisher..This mechanism allows efficient utilization of the entire apical membrane for secretion. ..
- Yogev S, Schejter E, Shilo B. Drosophila EGFR signalling is modulated by differential compartmentalization of Rhomboid intramembrane proteases. EMBO J. 2008;27:1219-30 pubmed publisher..These observations identify changes in intracellular compartment localization of Rho proteins as a basis for signal attenuation, in tissues where EGFR activation must be highly restricted in space and time. ..