Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on drosophila in Israel
- Reich A, Sapir A, Shilo B. Sprouty is a general inhibitor of receptor tyrosine kinase signaling. Development. 1999;126:4139-47 pubmed..The ability of ectopic Sprouty to rescue lethality caused by activated Raf suggests that it may impinge upon the pathway by interacting with Raf or downstream to it. ..
- Dubin Bar D, Bitan A, Bakhrat A, Kaiden Hasson R, Etzion S, Shaanan B, et al. The Drosophila IKK-related kinase (Ik2) and Spindle-F proteins are part of a complex that regulates cytoskeleton organization during oogenesis. BMC Cell Biol. 2008;9:51 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, Ik2 in this complex does not function as a typical IKK in that it does not direct SpnF for degradation following phosphorylation. ..
- Israeli D, Nir R, Volk T. Dissection of the target specificity of the RNA-binding protein HOW reveals dpp mRNA as a novel HOW target. Development. 2007;134:2107-14 pubmed..Thus, by characterizing the RNA sequences that bind HOW, we demonstrate a novel aspect of regulation, at the mRNA level, of Drosophila DPP. ..
- Luria N, Lu L, Chejanovsky N. Conserved structural motifs at the C-terminus of baculovirus protein IE0 are important for its functions in transactivation and supporting hr5-mediated DNA replication. Viruses. 2012;4:761-76 pubmed publisher..These IE0 mutants were unable to translocate to the cell nucleus. Our results point out the important role of some structural conserved motifs to the proper functioning of IE0...
- Tóth Petróczy A, Tawfik D. Protein insertions and deletions enabled by neutral roaming in sequence space. Mol Biol Evol. 2013;30:761-71 pubmed publisher..quot; The dynamics of InDels accumulation also depends on their genomic frequencies-InDels in flies are 4-fold more frequent than in yeast and tend to be compensated rather than enabled. ..
- Zelzer E, Shilo B. Interaction between the bHLH-PAS protein Trachealess and the POU-domain protein Drifter, specifies tracheal cell fates. Mech Dev. 2000;91:163-73 pubmed..A direct interaction between Drifter and Trh proteins, mediated by the PAS domain of Trh and the POU domain of Drifter, was demonstrated. ..
- Wang S, Volk T. Composite biopolymer scaffolds shape muscle nucleus: Insights and perspectives from Drosophila. Bioarchitecture. 2015;5:35-43 pubmed publisher..We suggest that the elastic properties of SRCPs are critical for nuclear protection and proper function in muscle fibers. ..
- Shichor I, Zlotkin E, Ilan N, Chikashvili D, Stuhmer W, Gordon D, et al. Domain 2 of Drosophila para voltage-gated sodium channel confers insect properties to a rat brain channel. J Neurosci. 2002;22:4364-71 pubmed..We also provide a methodological approach to the study of ion channels that are difficult to express in model expression systems. ..
- Glazer L, Shilo B. The Drosophila FGF-R homolog is expressed in the embryonic tracheal system and appears to be required for directed tracheal cell extension. Genes Dev. 1991;5:697-705 pubmed..However, the extension of tracheal cell processes leading to the formation of the elaborate tree structure is blocked. The DFGF-R protein may thus participate in receiving spatial cues that guide tracheal cell outgrowth. ..
- Selinger Z, Doza Y, Minke B. Mechanisms and genetics of photoreceptors desensitization in Drosophila flies. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1993;1179:283-99 pubmed
- Strumpf D, Volk T. Kakapo, a novel cytoskeletal-associated protein is essential for the restricted localization of the neuregulin-like factor, vein, at the muscle-tendon junction site. J Cell Biol. 1998;143:1259-70 pubmed..This may lead to aberrant differentiation of tendon cells and consequently to the kakapo mutant deranged somatic muscle phenotype. ..
- Bergmann S, Sandler O, Sberro H, Shnider S, Schejter E, Shilo B, et al. Pre-steady-state decoding of the Bicoid morphogen gradient. PLoS Biol. 2007;5:e46 pubmed..This can explain the surprisingly small shifts in gap and pair-rule gene expression domains observed in response to alterations in bcd dosage. ..
- Sapir A, Schweitzer R, Shilo B. Sequential activation of the EGF receptor pathway during Drosophila oogenesis establishes the dorsoventral axis. Development. 1998;125:191-200 pubmed..Rho thus appears to be involved in processing a DER ligand in the follicle cells, to pattern the egg chamber and allow persistent activation of the DER pathway during formation of the dorsal appendages. ..
- Yacobi Sharon K, Namdar Y, Arama E. Alternative germ cell death pathway in Drosophila involves HtrA2/Omi, lysosomes, and a caspase-9 counterpart. Dev Cell. 2013;25:29-42 pubmed publisher..These findings uncover an alternative developmental cell death pathway in metazoans...
- Shmueli A, Cohen Gazala O, Neuman Silberberg F. Gurken, a TGF-alpha-like protein involved in axis determination in Drosophila, directly binds to the EGF-receptor homolog Egfr. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;291:732-7 pubmed..Furthermore, we provide evidence that this characteristic motif may be sufficient for interaction with the receptor, at list in vitro. Our results firmly establish Gurken as the germline ligand of Drosophila Egfr. ..
- Neuman S, Kovalio M, Yaffe D, Nudel U. The Drosophila homologue of the dystrophin gene - introns containing promoters are the major contributors to the large size of the gene. FEBS Lett. 2005;579:5365-71 pubmed..These introns contribute significantly to the large size of the genes. The possible relevance of the conservation of the large size of introns containing promoters to the regulation of promoter activity is discussed. ..
- Tsruya R, Wojtalla A, Carmon S, Yogev S, Reich A, Bibi E, et al. Rhomboid cleaves Star to regulate the levels of secreted Spitz. EMBO J. 2007;26:1211-20 pubmed..Cleavage of Star restricts the amount of Spi that is trafficked, and may explain the exceptional dosage sensitivity of the Star locus in flies. ..
- Ohana B, Gershoni J. Comparison of the toxin binding sites of the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor from Drosophila to human. Biochemistry. 1990;29:6409-15 pubmed..A positive subsite followed by a hydrophobic patch preceding a nucleophilic domain appears to be required for efficient toxin binding. ..
- Reichman Fried M, Shilo B. Breathless, a Drosophila FGF receptor homolog, is required for the onset of tracheal cell migration and tracheole formation. Mech Dev. 1995;52:265-73 pubmed..The requirement for Breathless at the onset of migration and the diversity of processes in which it participates, suggest that the receptor is involved in triggering transcription factors, which may be distinct for each context. ..
- Eldar A, Rosin D, Shilo B, Barkai N. Self-enhanced ligand degradation underlies robustness of morphogen gradients. Dev Cell. 2003;5:635-46 pubmed..The two robust networks are consistent with properties of the Wg and Hh morphogens in the Drosophila wing disc and provide novel insights into their function. ..
- Abdu U, Bar D, Sch pbach T. spn-F encodes a novel protein that affects oocyte patterning and bristle morphology in Drosophila. Development. 2006;133:1477-84 pubmed publisher..Our results show that we have identified a novel protein that affects oocyte axis determination and the organization of microtubules during Drosophila oogenesis...
- Schejter E, Shilo B. The Drosophila EGF receptor homolog (DER) gene is allelic to faint little ball, a locus essential for embryonic development. Cell. 1989;56:1093-104 pubmed..Mutations in DER were shown to be allelic to the previously described locus faint little ball. ..
- Cohen L, Gilles N, Karbat I, Ilan N, Gordon D, Gurevitz M. Direct evidence that receptor site-4 of sodium channel gating modifiers is not dipped in the phospholipid bilayer of neuronal membranes. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:20673-9 pubmed
- Landau G, Bercovich Z, Park M, Kahana C. The role of polyamines in supporting growth of mammalian cells is mediated through their requirement for translation initiation and elongation. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:12474-81 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that either polyamine depletion or GC7 treatment induced eIF2alpha phosphorylation and reduced phosphorylation of 4E-BP, thus setting the molecular basis for the observed inhibition of translation initiation. ..
- Gruenbaum Cohen Y, Harel I, Umansky K, Tzahor E, Snapper S, Shilo B, et al. The actin regulator N-WASp is required for muscle-cell fusion in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:11211-6 pubmed publisher..WASp-family elements appear therefore to act as universal mediators of the myogenic cell-cell fusion mechanism underlying formation of functional muscle fibers, in both vertebrate and invertebrate species. ..
- Ulitzur N, Harel A, Goldberg M, Feinstein N, Gruenbaum Y. Nuclear membrane vesicle targeting to chromatin in a Drosophila embryo cell-free system. Mol Biol Cell. 1997;8:1439-48 pubmed..The population that interacts first with chromatin contains lamin and otefin and requires both peripheral and integral membrane proteins, whereas fusion of vesicles requires GTPase activity. ..
- Shwartz A, Yogev S, Schejter E, Shilo B. Sequential activation of ETS proteins provides a sustained transcriptional response to EGFR signaling. Development. 2013;140:2746-54 pubmed publisher..Pulse-chase experiments indicate that PntP1 is stable for several hours in the eye disc. Sequential ETS-protein recruitment therefore allows sustained induction of target genes, beyond the transient activation of EGFR. ..
- Segal D, Cherbas L, Cherbas P. Genetic transformation of Drosophila cells in culture by P element-mediated transposition. Somat Cell Mol Genet. 1996;22:159-65 pubmed..Using conditions like these it should prove possible to construct enhancer trap and/or gene libraries using Drosophila cells. ..
- Ulitzur N, Harel A, Feinstein N, Gruenbaum Y. Lamin activity is essential for nuclear envelope assembly in a Drosophila embryo cell-free extract. J Cell Biol. 1992;119:17-25 pubmed..After nuclear reconstitution, a fraction of the lamin pool was converted into the typical 74- and 76-kD isoforms. Together, these data strongly support an essential role of the lamina in nuclear envelope assembly. ..
- Padan R, Nainudel Epszteyn S, Goitein R, Fainsod A, Gruenbaum Y. Isolation and characterization of the Drosophila nuclear envelope otefin cDNA. J Biol Chem. 1990;265:7808-13 pubmed..Polyclonal antibodies raised against the cDNA translation product react with a 58-kDa mammalian nuclear envelope protein, demonstrating evolutionary conservation. ..
- Steinberg R, Shemer Avni Y, Adler N, Neuman Silberberg S. Human cytomegalovirus immediate-early-gene expression disrupts embryogenesis in transgenic Drosophila. Transgenic Res. 2008;17:105-19 pubmed
- Rousso T, Lynch J, Yogev S, Roth S, Schejter E, Shilo B. Generation of distinct signaling modes via diversification of the Egfr ligand-processing cassette. Development. 2010;137:3427-37 pubmed publisher..Diversification of the Egfr signaling pathway appears to have coupled gene duplication events with modulation of the biochemical properties and subcellular localization patterns of Rhomboid proteases and their substrates...
- Zak N, Wides R, Schejter E, Raz E, Shilo B. Localization of the DER/flb protein in embryos: implications on the faint little ball lethal phenotype. Development. 1990;109:865-74 pubmed
- Raz E, Schejter E, Shilo B. Interallelic complementation among DER/flb alleles: implications for the mechanism of signal transduction by receptor-tyrosine kinases. Genetics. 1991;129:191-201 pubmed..The mutation sites in four alleles showing positive interactions were localized. They identify regions within the protein which are likely to be important for these temporally distinct signal transduction processes. ..
- Marzuk O, Peretz G, Bakhrat A, Abdu U. Drosophila CIAPIN1 homologue is required for follicle cell proliferation and survival. Dev Dyn. 2013;242:731-7 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals that D-CIAPIN1 is essential for egg chamber development and is required for follicle cell proliferation and survival. ..
- Golembo M, Schweitzer R, Freeman M, Shilo B. Argos transcription is induced by the Drosophila EGF receptor pathway to form an inhibitory feedback loop. Development. 1996;122:223-30 pubmed..This type of inhibitory feedback loop may represent a general paradigm for signaling pathways inducing diverse cell fates within a population of non-committed cells. ..
- Dorfman R, Shilo B, Volk T. Stripe provides cues synergizing with branchless to direct tracheal cell migration. Dev Biol. 2002;252:119-26 pubmed..Although the FGF ligand Branchless (Bnl) is expressed in a subset of tendon-precursor cells independently of Sr, Bnl functions cooperatively with proteins induced by Sr in attraction of tracheal branches. ..
- Silberberg S, Lagrutta A, Adelman J, Magleby K. Wanderlust kinetics and variable Ca(2+)-sensitivity of Drosophila, a large conductance Ca(2+)-activated K+ channel, expressed in oocytes. Biophys J. 1996;70:2640-51 pubmed..These findings indicate that cloned dSlo channels in excised patches from Xenopus oocytes can exhibit large variability in gating properties, both within a single channel and among channels. ..
- Wang J, Pansky A, Venuti J, Yaffe D, Nudel U. A sea urchin gene encoding dystrophin-related proteins. Hum Mol Genet. 1998;7:581-8 pubmed
- Gabay L, Seger R, Shilo B. MAP kinase in situ activation atlas during Drosophila embryogenesis. Development. 1997;124:3535-41 pubmed..Since the antibody was raised against the phosphorylated form of a conserved ERK peptide containing the TEY motif, this approach is applicable to a wide spectrum of multicellular organisms. ..
- Zelzer E, Wappner P, Shilo B. The PAS domain confers target gene specificity of Drosophila bHLH/PAS proteins. Genes Dev. 1997;11:2079-89 pubmed..We postulate that the capacity of bHLH/PAS heterodimers to associate, through the PAS domain, with additional distinct proteins that bind target-gene DNA, is essential to confer specificity. ..
- Segal D. Prospects of using Drosophila for insect neuroendocrine research. Arch Insect Biochem Physiol. 1993;22:199-231 pubmed..Such information should be helpful in designing novel means for pest control based on the specific intervention with endocrine systems regulating insect development and reproduction. ..
- Rosenberg Hasson Y, Renert Pasca M, Volk T. A Drosophila dystrophin-related protein, MSP-300, is required for embryonic muscle morphogenesis. Mech Dev. 1996;60:83-94 pubmed
- Rozovskaia T, Tillib S, Smith S, Sedkov Y, Rozenblatt Rosen O, Petruk S, et al. Trithorax and ASH1 interact directly and associate with the trithorax group-responsive bxd region of the Ultrabithorax promoter. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:6441-7 pubmed..Collectively, these results suggest that TRX and ASH1 are components that interact either within trxG protein complexes or between complexes that act in close proximity on regulatory DNA to maintain Ubx transcription. ..
- Nili E, Cojocaru G, Kalma Y, Ginsberg D, Copeland N, Gilbert D, et al. Nuclear membrane protein LAP2beta mediates transcriptional repression alone and together with its binding partner GCL (germ-cell-less). J Cell Sci. 2001;114:3297-307 pubmed..Co-expression of both LAP2beta and mGCL with the E2F-DP complex resulted in a reduced transcriptional activity equal to that exerted by the pRb protein. ..
- Wides R, Zak N, Shilo B. Enhancement of tyrosine kinase activity of the Drosophila epidermal growth factor receptor homolog by alterations of the transmembrane domain. Eur J Biochem. 1990;189:637-45 pubmed..These results also support the inclusion of DER within the tyrosine-kinase receptor family. ..
- Levanon D, Goldstein R, Bernstein Y, Tang H, Goldenberg D, Stifani S, et al. Transcriptional repression by AML1 and LEF-1 is mediated by the TLE/Groucho corepressors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:11590-5 pubmed..These data indicate that, in addition to their activity as transcriptional activators, AML1 and LEF-1 can act, through recruitment of the corepressor TLE1, as transcriptional repressors in TCR regulation and Wnt/Wg signaling. ..
- Schoenmann Z, Assa Kunik E, Tiomny S, Minis A, Haklai Topper L, Arama E, et al. Axonal degeneration is regulated by the apoptotic machinery or a NAD+-sensitive pathway in insects and mammals. J Neurosci. 2010;30:6375-86 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that two distinct autodestruction pathways act separately or in concert to regulate developmental neurite pruning. ..
- Assa Kunik E, Torres I, Schejter E, Johnston D, Shilo B. Drosophila follicle cells are patterned by multiple levels of Notch signaling and antagonism between the Notch and JAK/STAT pathways. Development. 2007;134:1161-9 pubmed
- Subramanian A, Wayburn B, Bunch T, Volk T. Thrombospondin-mediated adhesion is essential for the formation of the myotendinous junction in Drosophila. Development. 2007;134:1269-78 pubmed
- Grossman T, Luque J, Nelson N. Identification of a ubiquitous family of membrane proteins and their expression in mouse brain. J Exp Biol. 2000;203:447-57 pubmed..Semiquantitative analysis of mRNA expression was performed in various parts of the brain. The conservation, unique structure and localization in the mammalian brain of this novel protein family suggest an important biological role. ..
- Falk R, Schwartz S. MORGAN's hypothesis of the genetic control of development. Genetics. 1993;134:671-4 pubmed
- Bialik S, Gottlieb T. Death at the Dead Sea. Cell Death Differ. 2000;7:851-9 pubmed
- Yaniv S, Issman Zecharya N, Oren Suissa M, Podbilewicz B, Schuldiner O. Axon regrowth during development and regeneration following injury share molecular mechanisms. Curr Biol. 2012;22:1774-82 pubmed publisher..Due to the involvement of the TOR pathway in axon regeneration following injury, our results also suggests that developmental regrowth shares common molecular mechanisms with regeneration following injury. ..
- Nabel Rosen H, Toledano Katchalski H, Volohonsky G, Volk T. Cell divisions in the drosophila embryonic mesoderm are repressed via posttranscriptional regulation of string/cdc25 by HOW. Curr Biol. 2005;15:295-302 pubmed..Thus, we are proposing a novel posttranscriptional mechanism controlling cell-cycle progression in the Drosophila embryo. ..
- Eldar A, Barkai N. Interpreting clone-mediated perturbations of morphogen profiles. Dev Biol. 2005;278:203-7 pubmed..Our results provide rigorous criteria to examine existing data and can facilitate the design and interpretation of future clone experiments. ..
- Herzog G, Joerger A, Shmueli M, Fersht A, Gazit E, Segal D. Evaluating Drosophila p53 as a model system for studying cancer mutations. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:44330-7 pubmed publisher..On the basis of these data, we discuss the advantages and limitations of using Dmp53 as a model system for studying p53 function and testing p53 rescue drugs. ..
- Reichman Fried M, Dickson B, Hafen E, Shilo B. Elucidation of the role of breathless, a Drosophila FGF receptor homolog, in tracheal cell migration. Genes Dev. 1994;8:428-39 pubmed
- Schweitzer R, Shilo B. A thousand and one roles for the Drosophila EGF receptor. Trends Genet. 1997;13:191-6 pubmed..The cellular mechanisms that translate EGFR activation to discrete cell fates are now the focus of intense studies. ..
- Gabay L, Seger R, Shilo B. In situ activation pattern of Drosophila EGF receptor pathway during development. Science. 1997;277:1103-6 pubmed..This in situ approach can be used to monitor other receptor-triggered pathways in a wide range of organisms. ..
- Nabel Rosen H, Dorevitch N, Reuveny A, Volk T. The balance between two isoforms of the Drosophila RNA-binding protein how controls tendon cell differentiation. Mol Cell. 1999;4:573-84 pubmed..This inhibition is likely to be counteracted by the short How(S) protein, present in both nucleus and cytoplasm, which is upregulated in the muscle-bound tendon cell following EGF receptor activation. ..
- Schlesinger A, Kiger A, Perrimon N, Shilo B. Small wing PLCgamma is required for ER retention of cleaved Spitz during eye development in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2004;7:535-45 pubmed..Retention of cSpi in the ER provides a novel mechanism for restricting active ligand levels and hence the range of EGFR activation in the developing eye. ..
- Burstein Z. A network model of developmental gene hierarchy. J Theor Biol. 1995;174:1-11 pubmed..The model not only incorporates a program of control at gene level, but also makes a direct connection with current molecular studies throughout the whole hierarchy of the early embryogenesis of Drosophila. ..
- Subramanian A, Prokop A, Yamamoto M, Sugimura K, Uemura T, Betschinger J, et al. Shortstop recruits EB1/APC1 and promotes microtubule assembly at the muscle-tendon junction. Curr Biol. 2003;13:1086-95 pubmed..This is achieved by Shot association with the cytoplasmic faces of the basal hemiadherens junction and with the EB1/APC1 complex. ..
- Pilpel Y, Bogin O, Brumfeld V, Reich Z. Polyproline type II conformation in the C-terminal domain of the nuclear pore complex protein gp210. Biochemistry. 2003;42:3519-26 pubmed..We propose that PII elements in the CTD may play a role in its interaction with the NPC and may serve as recognition sites for regulatory proteins bearing WW or other, unknown PII-binding motifs. ..
- Reich A, Shilo B. Keren, a new ligand of the Drosophila epidermal growth factor receptor, undergoes two modes of cleavage. EMBO J. 2002;21:4287-96 pubmed..Examining Spi/Krn chimeric and deletion constructs implicates the Spi cytoplasmic domain in inhibiting its basal activity. Low-level activity of Krn calls for tightly regulated expression of the Krn precursor. ..
- Yarnitzky T, Min L, Volk T. An interplay between two EGF-receptor ligands, Vein and Spitz, is required for the formation of a subset of muscle precursors in Drosophila. Mech Dev. 1998;79:73-82 pubmed
- Kertesz M, Iovino N, Unnerstall U, Gaul U, Segal E. The role of site accessibility in microRNA target recognition. Nat Genet. 2007;39:1278-84 pubmed..Our study thus demonstrates that target accessibility is a critical factor in microRNA function. ..
- Rom I, Faicevici A, Almog O, Neuman Silberberg F. Drosophila Dynein light chain (DDLC1) binds to gurken mRNA and is required for its localization. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2007;1773:1526-33 pubmed..Phenotypic analysis of ddlc1 mutants supports a role for DDLC1 in gurken RNA localization and anchoring as well as in correct positioning of the oocyte nucleus. ..
- Raz E, Shilo B. Establishment of ventral cell fates in the Drosophila embryonic ectoderm requires DER, the EGF receptor homolog. Genes Dev. 1993;7:1937-48 pubmed..Synergistic interactions between flb and spitz or Star mutations suggest that these genes participate in a common signaling pathway. ..
- Katz B, Minke B. Phospholipase C-mediated suppression of dark noise enables single-photon detection in Drosophila photoreceptors. J Neurosci. 2012;32:2722-33 pubmed publisher..We thus demonstrate how a G-protein-mediated transduction system, with PLC as its target, selectively suppresses its intrinsic noise while preserving reliable signaling. ..
- Zelzer E, Shilo B. Cell fate choices in Drosophila tracheal morphogenesis. Bioessays. 2000;22:219-26 pubmed..Tracheal cell fate choices are determined by signaling cascades triggered by signals emanating from the tracheal cells, as well as by ligands produced by adjacent tissues. ..
- Rom E, Kahana C. Isolation and characterization of the Drosophila ornithine decarboxylase locus: evidence for the presence of two transcribed ODC genes in the Drosophila genome. DNA Cell Biol. 1993;12:499-508 pubmed..We hope that the isolation of genomic and cDNA clones of Drosophila ODC will permit the investigation of the expression of ODC during Drosophila development and the role of polyamines in this process. ..
- Neuman S, Kaban A, Volk T, Yaffe D, Nudel U. The dystrophin / utrophin homologues in Drosophila and in sea urchin. Gene. 2001;263:17-29 pubmed..The conservation of this gene structure in such distantly related organisms, points to important distinct functions of the multiple products...
- Canaani E, Nakamura T, Rozovskaia T, Smith S, Mori T, Croce C, et al. ALL-1/MLL1, a homologue of Drosophila TRITHORAX, modifies chromatin and is directly involved in infant acute leukaemia. Br J Cancer. 2004;90:756-60 pubmed..Here, we describe the unique features of ALL-1-associated leukaemias, and recent progress in understanding molecular mechanisms involved in the activity of the ALL-1 protein and of its Drosophila homologue TRITHORAX. ..