Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on drosophila in Germany
Publications162 found, 100 shown here
- Prothmann C, Armstrong N, Roth S, Rupp R. Vertebrate Rel proteins exhibit Dorsal-like activities in early Drosophila embryogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:949-57 pubmed..Our results suggest the interaction between Rel proteins and their cytoplasmic inhibitors as an important interface of evolutionary adaptation. ..
- Hietakangas V, Cohen S. Re-evaluating AKT regulation: role of TOR complex 2 in tissue growth. Genes Dev. 2007;21:632-7 pubmed..Thus, TORC2 acts as a rheostat to broaden the range of AKT signaling at the high end of its range. ..
- Stephan R, Grevelhörster A, Wenderdel S, Klämbt C, Bogdan S. Abi induces ectopic sensory organ formation by stimulating EGFR signaling. Mech Dev. 2008;125:183-95 pubmed publisher..Concomitantly, we noted changes in tyrosine phosphorylation supporting previous reports that Abi protein stability is linked to tyrosine phosphorylation mediated by Abl. ..
- Franz A, Riechmann V. Stepwise polarisation of the Drosophila follicular epithelium. Dev Biol. 2010;338:136-47 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data elucidate the genetic mechanisms leading to the stepwise polarisation of an epithelium with a mesenchymal origin. ..
- Rathke C, Barckmann B, Burkhard S, Jayaramaiah Raja S, Roote J, Renkawitz Pohl R. Distinct functions of Mst77F and protamines in nuclear shaping and chromatin condensation during Drosophila spermiogenesis. Eur J Cell Biol. 2010;89:326-38 pubmed publisher..These data support the long-standing hypothesis that the switch from a histone- to protamine-based chromatin protects the paternal genome from mutagens. ..
- Raghu S, Borst A. Candidate glutamatergic neurons in the visual system of Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e19472 pubmed publisher..This classification of candidate glutamatergic neurons fosters the future neurogenetic dissection of information processing in circuits of the fly visual system. ..
- Külshammer E, Uhlirova M. The actin cross-linker Filamin/Cheerio mediates tumor malignancy downstream of JNK signaling. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:927-38 pubmed publisher..Our study identifies Cher as a new target of JNK signaling that links cytoskeleton dynamics to tumor progression. ..
- Thomae A, Schade G, Padeken J, Borath M, Vetter I, Kremmer E, et al. A pair of centromeric proteins mediates reproductive isolation in Drosophila species. Dev Cell. 2013;27:412-24 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide evidence for a major role of centromere divergence in the generation of biodiversity. ..
- Mauss A, Meier M, Serbe E, Borst A. Optogenetic and pharmacologic dissection of feedforward inhibition in Drosophila motion vision. J Neurosci. 2014;34:2254-63 pubmed publisher..This suggests that the null direction response is caused by feedforward inhibition via yet unidentified neurons...
- Anvarian Z, Nojima H, Van Kappel E, Madl T, Spit M, Viertler M, et al. Axin cancer mutants form nanoaggregates to rewire the Wnt signaling network. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2016;23:324-32 pubmed publisher..Our findings establish a new paradigm for misregulation of signaling in cancer and show that targeting aggregation-prone stretches in mutated scaffolds holds attractive potential for cancer treatment. ..
- Erceg J, Pakozdi T, Marco Ferreres R, Ghavi Helm Y, Girardot C, Bracken A, et al. Dual functionality of cis-regulatory elements as developmental enhancers and Polycomb response elements. Genes Dev. 2017;31:590-602 pubmed publisher..Given that enhancers initiate spatio-temporal gene expression, reuse of the same elements by the Polycomb group (PcG) system may help fine-tune gene expression and ensure the timely maintenance of cell identities. ..
- Haenlin M, Kunisch M, Kramatschek B, Campos Ortega J. Genomic regions regulating early embryonic expression of the Drosophila neurogenic gene Delta. Mech Dev. 1994;47:99-110 pubmed..The possible significance of these findings with respect to the function of Delta during lineage segregation is discussed. ..
- Rehorn K, Thelen H, Michelson A, Reuter R. A molecular aspect of hematopoiesis and endoderm development common to vertebrates and Drosophila. Development. 1996;122:4023-31 pubmed..These findings imply that some aspects of the molecular mechanisms underlying blood cell development as well as endodermal differentiation are early acquisitions of metazoan evolution and may be common to most higher animals. ..
- Schulz C, Tautz D. Zygotic caudal regulation by hunchback and its role in abdominal segment formation of the Drosophila embryo. Development. 1995;121:1023-8 pubmed..We conclude that cad is the so far missing region-specific activator of abdominal segmentation genes. ..
- Schwarz Romond T, Asbrand C, Bakkers J, Kuhl M, Schaeffer H, Huelsken J, et al. The ankyrin repeat protein Diversin recruits Casein kinase Iepsilon to the beta-catenin degradation complex and acts in both canonical Wnt and Wnt/JNK signaling. Genes Dev. 2002;16:2073-84 pubmed..Our data show that Diversin is an essential component of the Wnt-signaling pathway and acts as a molecular switch, which suppresses Wnt signals mediated by the canonical beta-catenin pathway and stimulates signaling via JNK. ..
- Bono F, Cook A, Grünwald M, Ebert J, Conti E. Nuclear import mechanism of the EJC component Mago-Y14 revealed by structural studies of importin 13. Mol Cell. 2010;37:211-22 pubmed publisher..Comparison of the two structures suggests how this unusual karyopherin might function in bidirectional nucleocytoplasmic transport. ..
- Schmidt I, Thomas S, Kain P, Risse B, Naffin E, Kl mbt C. Kinesin heavy chain function in Drosophila glial cells controls neuronal activity. J Neurosci. 2012;32:7466-76 pubmed publisher..Our work shows that the role of Khc for neuronal excitability must be considered in the light of its necessity for directed transport in glia...
- Knirr S, Breuer S, Paululat A, Renkawitz Pohl R. Somatic mesoderm differentiation and the development of a subset of pericardial cells depend on the not enough muscles (nem) locus, which contains the inscuteable gene and the intron located gene, skittles. Mech Dev. 1997;67:69-81 pubmed..Our data suggest a role for insc in the specification process of a subset of muscle progenitors/founders. Furthermore, in insc mutants the eve expressing pericardial cells of the developing heart are significantly reduced in numbers. ..
- Koelzer S, Klein T. A Notch-independent function of Suppressor of Hairless during the development of the bristle sensory organ precursor cell of Drosophila. Development. 2003;130:1973-88 pubmed..Our results further suggest that the position of the SOP in a proneural cluster is determined by very precise positional cues, which render the SOP insensitive to Dl. ..
- Buechling T, Bartscherer K, Ohkawara B, Chaudhary V, Spirohn K, Niehrs C, et al. Wnt/Frizzled signaling requires dPRR, the Drosophila homolog of the prorenin receptor. Curr Biol. 2010;20:1263-8 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, dPRR binds to Fz and Fz2 receptors. In summary, our data suggest that dPRR has an evolutionarily conserved role at the receptor level for activation of canonical and noncanonical Wnt/Fz signaling pathways...
- Stierl M, Stumpf P, Udwari D, Gueta R, Hagedorn R, Losi A, et al. Light modulation of cellular cAMP by a small bacterial photoactivated adenylyl cyclase, bPAC, of the soil bacterium Beggiatoa. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:1181-8 pubmed publisher..bPAC seems a perfect optogenetic tool for light modulation of cAMP in neuronal cells and tissues and for studying cAMP-dependent processes in live animals. ..
- Spahn P, Huelsmann S, Rehorn K, Mischke S, MAYER M, Casali A, et al. Multiple regulatory safeguards confine the expression of the GATA factor Serpent to the hemocyte primordium within the Drosophila mesoderm. Dev Biol. 2014;386:272-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, several genes work in a combined fashion to restrain early srp expression to the head mesoderm in order to prevent expansion of the hemocyte primordium. ..
- Milan M, Cohen S. Temporal regulation of apterous activity during development of the Drosophila wing. Development. 2000;127:3069-78 pubmed..Thus, downregulation of Apterous activity is needed to allow normal wing development. ..
- Str nkelnberg M, de Couet H, Hertenstein A, Fischbach K. Interspecies comparison of a gene pair with partially redundant function: the rst and kirre genes in D. virilis and D. melanogaster. J Mol Evol. 2003;56:187-97 pubmed publisher..These findings are discussed in the light of general evolutionary mechanisms...
- Vishnu S, Hertenstein A, Betschinger J, Knoblich J, Gert de Couet H, Fischbach K. The adaptor protein X11Lalpha/Dmint1 interacts with the PDZ-binding domain of the cell recognition protein Rst in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2006;289:296-307 pubmed..Using genetic, cell biological, and biochemical approaches, we show that the interaction of Rst with X11Lalpha is of biological significance. The proteins interact, for example, in the context of cell sorting in the pupal retina. ..
- Scholz H, Sadlowski E, Klaes A, Klämbt C. Control of midline glia development in the embryonic Drosophila CNS. Mech Dev. 1997;62:79-91 pubmed..In the midline glia pointedP2 in turn activates the transcription of argos, which encodes a diffusible negative regulator of EGF-receptor signalling. ..
- Wu J, Cohen S. Proximodistal axis formation in the Drosophila leg: subdivision into proximal and distal domains by Homothorax and Distal-less. Development. 1999;126:109-17 pubmed..These observations suggest that sorting-out behavior of Hth- and Dll-expressing cells contributes to subdivision of the leg into proximal and distal domains. ..
- Hauptmann G. One-, two-, and three-color whole-mount in situ hybridization to Drosophila embryos. Methods. 2001;23:359-72 pubmed..The two-color in situ hybridization methods work equally well in Drosophila and zebrafish embryos and may therefore also be adaptable to other species. ..
- Wilson R, Battersby A, Csiszar A, Vogelsang E, Leptin M. A functional domain of Dof that is required for fibroblast growth factor signaling. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:2263-76 pubmed..In addition, we demonstrate that Dof is phosphorylated in the presence of an activated FGF receptor and that tyrosine residues could contribute to the function of the molecule. ..
- Isken A, Holzschuh J, Lampert J, Fischer L, Oberhauser V, Palczewski K, et al. Sequestration of retinyl esters is essential for retinoid signaling in the zebrafish embryo. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:1144-51 pubmed
- Huber A, Sander P, Paulsen R. Phosphorylation of the InaD gene product, a photoreceptor membrane protein required for recovery of visual excitation. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:11710-7 pubmed..It is proposed that the rise of the intracellular Ca2+ concentration upon visual excitation initiates the phosphorylation of the InaD protein by eye-PKC and thereby modulates its function in the control of the light response. ..
- Castagnetti S, Hentze M, Ephrussi A, Gebauer F. Control of oskar mRNA translation by Bruno in a novel cell-free system from Drosophila ovaries. Development. 2000;127:1063-8 pubmed..The approach that we describe opens new avenues to investigate translational regulation in Drosophila oogenesis at a biochemical level. ..
- Schenkel H, Hanke S, De Lorenzo C, Schmitt R, Mechler B. P elements inserted in the vicinity of or within the Drosophila snRNP SmD3 gene nested in the first intron of the Ornithine Decarboxylase Antizyme gene affect only the expression of SmD3. Genetics. 2002;161:763-72 pubmed..Interestingly, AZ inactivation causes a new phenotype characterized by late larval lethality and atrophy of the brain, imaginal discs, hematopoietic organs, and salivary glands. ..
- ..This review summarizes recent findings pertaining to omb and orthologous genes. ..
- Michel M, Raabe I, Kupinski A, Pérez Palencia R, Bökel C. Local BMP receptor activation at adherens junctions in the Drosophila germline stem cell niche. Nat Commun. 2011;2:415 pubmed publisher..We, therefore, propose that local generation of the BMP signal is achieved through shared use of the Cadherin transport machinery. ..
- Copur Ö, Muller J. The histone H3-K27 demethylase Utx regulates HOX gene expression in Drosophila in a temporally restricted manner. Development. 2013;140:3478-85 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our analyses do not support the recent proposal that Utx would regulate cell proliferation in Drosophila as Utx mutant cells generated in wild-type animals proliferate like wild-type cells. ..
- Elbashir S, Lendeckel W, Tuschl T. RNA interference is mediated by 21- and 22-nucleotide RNAs. Genes Dev. 2001;15:188-200 pubmed..Furthermore, we provide evidence that the direction of dsRNA processing determines whether sense or antisense target RNA can be cleaved by the siRNA-protein complex. ..
- Buttgereit D, Renkawitz Pohl R. Expression of beta 1 tubulin (beta Tub56D) in Drosophila testis stem cells is regulated by a short upstream sequence while intron elements guide expression in somatic cells. Mol Gen Genet. 1993;241:263-70 pubmed..Therefore in the germ line, control of beta 1 tubulin expression is strictly governed by promoter-proximal elements, while for the somatic parts of the testis, enhancer elements confer less stringent expression control. ..
- Hollemann T, Schuh R, Pieler T, Stick R. Xenopus Xsal-1, a vertebrate homolog of the region specific homeotic gene spalt of Drosophila. Mech Dev. 1996;55:19-32 pubmed..The pattern of expression suggests that Xsal-1 might be under control of signals emanating from the notochord and/or the floor plate and that it might function in neuronal cell specification. ..
- Krauss V, Reuter G. Two genes become one: the genes encoding heterochromatin protein Su(var)3-9 and translation initiation factor subunit eIF-2gamma are joined to a dicistronic unit in holometabolic insects. Genetics. 2000;156:1157-67 pubmed
- Schröter R, Buttgereit D, Beck L, Holz A, Renkawitz Pohl R. Blown fuse regulates stretching and outgrowth but not myoblast fusion of the circular visceral muscles in Drosophila. Differentiation. 2006;74:608-21 pubmed
- Hobert O, Sures I, Ciossek T, Fuchs M, Ullrich A. Isolation and developmental expression analysis of Enx-1, a novel mouse Polycomb group gene. Mech Dev. 1996;55:171-84 pubmed..In adult stages we also find Enx-1 expression to be restricted to specific tissues, including spleen, testis and placenta. ..
- Kremser T, Hasenpusch Theil K, Wagner E, Buttgereit D, Renkawitz Pohl R. Expression of the beta3 tubulin gene (beta Tub60D) in the visceral mesoderm of Drosophila is dependent on a complex enhancer that binds Tinman and UBX. Mol Gen Genet. 1999;262:643-58 pubmed..Thus the vm1 enhancer of the beta3 tubulin gene contains a complex array of elements that are involved in transactivation by a combination of tissue- and position-specific factors including Tinman and UBX. ..
- Seyit G, Rockel B, Baumeister W, Peters J. Size matters for the tripeptidylpeptidase II complex from Drosophila: The 6-MDa spindle form stabilizes the activated state. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:25723-33 pubmed..The strands inherently heterogeneous in length are thus locked into a discrete oligomeric state. Our data indicate that the unique spindle form of the holo-complex represents an assembly motif stabilizing a highly active state. ..
- Lattemann M, Zierau A, Schulte C, Seidl S, Kuhlmann B, Hummel T. Semaphorin-1a controls receptor neuron-specific axonal convergence in the primary olfactory center of Drosophila. Neuron. 2007;53:169-84 pubmed..These findings provide insights into the mechanism by which afferent interactions lead to synaptic specificity in the olfactory system. ..
- Tomasi T, Hakeda Suzuki S, Ohler S, Schleiffer A, Suzuki T. The transmembrane protein Golden goal regulates R8 photoreceptor axon-axon and axon-target interactions. Neuron. 2008;57:691-704 pubmed publisher..From detailed structure-function experiments, we propose that Gogo functions as a receptor that binds an unidentified ligand through its conserved extracellular domain. ..
- Krauss V, Reuter G. DNA methylation in Drosophila--a critical evaluation. Prog Mol Biol Transl Sci. 2011;101:177-91 pubmed publisher..Dnmt2 probably serves, and not only in Drosophila, as a methyltransferase of both specific DNA and tRNA targets. ..
- Rudolf A, Buttgereit D, Rexer K, Renkawitz Pohl R. The syncytial visceral and somatic musculature develops independently of ?3-Tubulin during Drosophila embryogenesis, while maternally supplied ?1-Tubulin is stable until the early steps of myoblast fusion. Eur J Cell Biol. 2012;91:192-203 pubmed publisher
- Brinkmann K, Winterhoff M, Ã–nel S, Schultz J, Faix J, Bogdan S. WHAMY is a novel actin polymerase promoting myoblast fusion, macrophage cell motility and sensory organ development in Drosophila. J Cell Sci. 2016;129:604-20 pubmed publisher..Thus, WHAMY is a novel actin polymerase with an initial partitioning of ancestral WASP functions in development and subsequent acquisition of a new function in cell motility during evolution. ..
- Wodarz A, Grawe F, Knust E. CRUMBS is involved in the control of apical protein targeting during Drosophila epithelial development. Mech Dev. 1993;44:175-87 pubmed..A single base exchange in crb8F105 leads to the introduction of a premature stop codon, thus eliminating the C-terminal part of the cytoplasmic domain. A possible role for crb in controlling apical-basal polarity is discussed. ..
- Penalva L, Lallena M, Valcarcel J. Switch in 3' splice site recognition between exon definition and splicing catalysis is important for sex-lethal autoregulation. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:1986-96 pubmed
- Bogdan S, Stephan R, Löbke C, Mertens A, Klämbt C. Abi activates WASP to promote sensory organ development. Nat Cell Biol. 2005;7:977-84 pubmed..Thus, in vivo Abi may set the balance between WASP and WAVE in different actin-based developmental processes. ..
- Shravage B, Altmann G, Technau M, Roth S. The role of Dpp and its inhibitors during eggshell patterning in Drosophila. Development. 2007;134:2261-71 pubmed
- Berger S, Bulgakova N, Grawe F, Johnson K, Knust E. Unraveling the genetic complexity of Drosophila stardust during photoreceptor morphogenesis and prevention of light-induced degeneration. Genetics. 2007;176:2189-200 pubmed..These results suggest that Stardust-based protein scaffolds are dynamic, which is not only mediated by multiple interaction partners, but in addition by various forms of the Stardust protein itself. ..
- Haubold B, Pfaffelhuber P, Domazet Loso M, Wiehe T. Estimating mutation distances from unaligned genomes. J Comput Biol. 2009;16:1487-500 pubmed publisher..The computation of K(r) is efficiently implemented in the program kr, which can be downloaded freely from the internet. ..
- Dressel U, Thormeyer D, Altincicek B, Paululat A, Eggert M, Schneider S, et al. Alien, a highly conserved protein with characteristics of a corepressor for members of the nuclear hormone receptor superfamily. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:3383-94 pubmed..These properties, taken together, show that Alien has the characteristics of a corepressor. Thus, Alien represents a member of a novel class of corepressors specific for selected members of the nuclear hormone receptor superfamily. ..
- Kreisköther N, Reichert N, Buttgereit D, Hertenstein A, Fischbach K, Renkawitz Pohl R. Drosophila rolling pebbles colocalises and putatively interacts with alpha-Actinin and the Sls isoform Zormin in the Z-discs of the sarcomere and with Dumbfounded/Kirre, alpha-Actinin and Zormin in the terminal Z-discs. J Muscle Res Cell Motil. 2006;27:93-106 pubmed
- Anne J, Ollo R, Ephrussi A, Mechler B. Arginine methyltransferase Capsuleen is essential for methylation of spliceosomal Sm proteins and germ cell formation in Drosophila. Development. 2007;134:137-46 pubmed..Our results thus reveal the role of a PRMT in protein localization in germ cells. ..
- Dafinger C, Liebau M, Elsayed S, Hellenbroich Y, Boltshauser E, Korenke G, et al. Mutations in KIF7 link Joubert syndrome with Sonic Hedgehog signaling and microtubule dynamics. J Clin Invest. 2011;121:2662-7 pubmed publisher..Thus, we suggest that modified microtubule stability and growth direction caused by loss of KIF7 function may be an underlying disease mechanism contributing to JBTS...
- Eickhoff R, Bicker G. Developmental expression of cell recognition molecules in the mushroom body and antennal lobe of the locust Locusta migratoria. J Comp Neurol. 2012;520:2021-40 pubmed publisher..Our study serves as an initial step toward functional analyses of Sema 1a and Fas I expression during locust mushroom body formation...
- Beil B, Screaton G, Stamm S. Molecular cloning of htra2-beta-1 and htra2-beta-2, two human homologs of tra-2 generated by alternative splicing. DNA Cell Biol. 1997;16:679-90 pubmed..The ratio of these two isoforms changes after stimulation of primary human T-cell and primary rat spleen cell cultures, indicating that alternative splicing is involved in regulation of htra2-beta activity. ..
- Peri F, Technau M, Roth S. Mechanisms of Gurken-dependent pipe regulation and the robustness of dorsoventral patterning in Drosophila. Development. 2002;129:2965-75 pubmed..This indicates that potent inhibitory processes prevent pipe dependent Toll activation at the dorsal side of the egg. ..
- Tschäpe J, Hammerschmied C, Mühlig Versen M, Athenstaedt K, Daum G, Kretzschmar D. The neurodegeneration mutant löchrig interferes with cholesterol homeostasis and Appl processing. EMBO J. 2002;21:6367-76 pubmed..These results describe a novel function of AMPK in neurodegeneration and APPL/APP processing which could be mediated through HMG-CoA reductase and cholesterol ester. ..
- Lintermann K, Roth G, King Jones K, Korge G, Lehmann M. Comparison of the GAGA factor genes of Drosophila melanogaster and Drosophila virilis reveals high conservation of GAGA factor structure beyond the BTB/POZ and DNA-binding domains. Dev Genes Evol. 1998;208:447-56 pubmed..The high conservation of the GAGA proteins of the two species is in accord with the nearly identical genomic organization and expression patterns of the corresponding genes...
- Lange B, Rebollo E, Herold A, Gonzalez C. Cdc37 is essential for chromosome segregation and cytokinesis in higher eukaryotes. EMBO J. 2002;21:5364-74 pubmed..These observations substantiate the role of Cdc37 as an upstream regulatory element of key cell cycle kinases. ..
- Godenschwege T, Reisch D, Diegelmann S, Eberle K, Funk N, Heisenberg M, et al. Flies lacking all synapsins are unexpectedly healthy but are impaired in complex behaviour. Eur J Neurosci. 2004;20:611-22 pubmed..Larval behavioural defects are described in a separate paper. We conclude that Drosophila synapsins play a significant role in nervous system function, which is subtle at the cellular level but manifests itself in complex behaviour. ..
- Edenfeld G, Volohonsky G, Krukkert K, Naffin E, Lammel U, Grimm A, et al. The splicing factor crooked neck associates with the RNA-binding protein HOW to control glial cell maturation in Drosophila. Neuron. 2006;52:969-80 pubmed
- Reuter D, Kühnlein R, Frommer G, Barrio R, Kafatos F, Jackle H, et al. Regulation, function and potential origin of the Drosophila gene spalt adjacent, which encodes a secreted protein expressed in the early embryo. Chromosoma. 1996;104:445-54 pubmed
- Huber A, Sander P, Bahner M, Paulsen R. The TRP Ca2+ channel assembled in a signaling complex by the PDZ domain protein INAD is phosphorylated through the interaction with protein kinase C (ePKC). FEBS Lett. 1998;425:317-22 pubmed..It is proposed that ePKC-mediated phosphorylation of TRP is part of a negative feedback loop which regulates Ca2+ influx through the TRP channel. ..
- Zinke I, Kirchner C, Chao L, Tetzlaff M, Pankratz M. Suppression of food intake and growth by amino acids in Drosophila: the role of pumpless, a fat body expressed gene with homology to vertebrate glycine cleavage system. Development. 1999;126:5275-84 pubmed..This signaling system may also mediate growth transition from larval to the pupal stage during Drosophila development. ..
- Renault N, King Jones K, Lehmann M. Downregulation of the tissue-specific transcription factor Fork head by Broad-Complex mediates a stage-specific hormone response. Development. 2001;128:3729-37 pubmed..Furthermore, they suggest that the BR-C is placed at a different position within the 20E-controlled hierarchies than previously assumed, and that at least part of its pleiotropic functions are mediated by tissue-specific regulators. ..
- Steigemann P, Molitor A, Fellert S, Jackle H, Vorbrüggen G. Heparan sulfate proteoglycan syndecan promotes axonal and myotube guidance by slit/robo signaling. Curr Biol. 2004;14:225-30 pubmed..The results suggest that Syndecan is a necessary component of Slit/Robo signaling and is required in the Slit target cells. ..
- Onel S, Bolke L, Klämbt C. The Drosophila ARF6-GEF Schizo controls commissure formation by regulating Slit. Development. 2004;131:2587-94 pubmed..We thus propose that the balance of the two signaling cues Netrin and Slit can be regulated, controlling membrane dynamics. ..
- Michels B, Diegelmann S, Tanimoto H, Schwenkert I, Buchner E, Gerber B. A role for Synapsin in associative learning: the Drosophila larva as a study case. Learn Mem. 2005;12:224-31 pubmed..quot; Wild-type CS and syn(97CS) perform indistinguishably also in these tests. Thus, larval Drosophila can be used as a case study for a role of Synapsin in associative learning. ..
- Silies M, Klämbt C. APC/C(Fzr/Cdh1)-dependent regulation of cell adhesion controls glial migration in the Drosophila PNS. Nat Neurosci. 2010;13:1357-64 pubmed publisher..This represents a simple mechanism by which a subcellular gradient of adhesiveness can coordinate glial migration with axonal growth...
- Kremer M, Christiansen F, Leiss F, Paehler M, Knapek S, Andlauer T, et al. Structural long-term changes at mushroom body input synapses. Curr Biol. 2010;20:1938-44 pubmed publisher..These data provide clear evidence for activity-dependent organization of a circuit within the adult brain of the fly. ..
- Peradziryi H, Kaplan N, Podleschny M, Liu X, Wehner P, Borchers A, et al. PTK7/Otk interacts with Wnts and inhibits canonical Wnt signalling. EMBO J. 2011;30:3729-40 pubmed publisher..In Drosophila, Otk interacts with Wnt4 and opposes canonical Wnt signalling in embryonic patterning. We propose a model where PTK7/Otk functions in non-canonical Wnt signalling by turning off the canonical signalling branch. ..
- Schreiber J, Sock E, Wegner M. The regulator of early gliogenesis glial cells missing is a transcription factor with a novel type of DNA-binding domain. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:4739-44 pubmed..In transiently transfected cells, GCM also activated transcription from promoters consisting of the newly identified GCM-binding site and a TATA box. Thus, GCM is a novel type of transcription factor involved in early gliogenesis. ..
- Dittrich R, Bossing T, Gould A, Technau G, Urban J. The differentiation of the serotonergic neurons in the Drosophila ventral nerve cord depends on the combined function of the zinc finger proteins Eagle and Huckebein. Development. 1997;124:2515-25 pubmed..Thus, we provide the first functional evidence for a combinatorial code of transcription factors acting early but downstream of segment polarity genes to specify a unique neuronal cell fate. ..
- Hankeln T, Jaenicke V, Kiger L, Dewilde S, Ungerechts G, Schmidt M, et al. Characterization of Drosophila hemoglobin. Evidence for hemoglobin-mediated respiration in insects. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:29012-7 pubmed..This suggests that oxygen supply in insects may be more complex than thought previously and may depend on hemoglobin-mediated oxygen transport and storage in addition to simple diffusion. ..
- Macchi P, Kroening S, Palacios I, Baldassa S, Grunewald B, Ambrosino C, et al. Barentsz, a new component of the Staufen-containing ribonucleoprotein particles in mammalian cells, interacts with Staufen in an RNA-dependent manner. J Neurosci. 2003;23:5778-88 pubmed..Together, our data suggest that the mRNA transport machinery is conserved during evolution, and that mammalian Btz is an additional component of the dendritic RNPs in hippocampal neurons. ..
- Muyrers Chen I, Rozovskaia T, Lee N, Kersey J, Nakamura T, Canaani E, et al. Expression of leukemic MLL fusion proteins in Drosophila affects cell cycle control and chromosome morphology. Oncogene. 2004;23:8639-48 pubmed..Taken together, the expression of MLL fusion proteins in Drosophila provides a new and powerful system to reveal and characterize biological activities associated with MLL fusion proteins. ..
- Tauc H, Mann T, Werner K, Pandur P. A role for Drosophila Wnt-4 in heart development. Genesis. 2012;50:466-81 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal a role for DWnt4 in cardiogenesis; however, integration of DWnt4 with other known signaling pathways that function in heart development still awaits further investigation. ..
- Kistner U, Wenzel B, Veh R, Cases Langhoff C, Garner A, Appeltauer U, et al. SAP90, a rat presynaptic protein related to the product of the Drosophila tumor suppressor gene dlg-A. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:4580-3 pubmed..These features suggest a possible role for SAP90 in a guanine nucleotide-mediated signal transduction pathway at a subset of GABAergic synapses in the rat cerebellum. ..