Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on dna methylation in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: dna methylation
Publications306 found, 100 shown here
- Ting A, Suzuki H, Cope L, Schuebel K, Lee B, Toyota M, et al. A requirement for DICER to maintain full promoter CpG island hypermethylation in human cancer cells. Cancer Res. 2008;68:2570-5 pubmed publisher..This reactivation is associated with a dramatic loss of localized promoter DNA hypermethylation. Thus, intact DICER is required to maintain full promoter DNA hypermethylation of select epigenetically silenced loci in human cancer cells. ..
- Gopalakrishnan S, Van Emburgh B, Shan J, Su Z, Fields C, Vieweg J, et al. A novel DNMT3B splice variant expressed in tumor and pluripotent cells modulates genomic DNA methylation patterns and displays altered DNA binding. Mol Cancer Res. 2009;7:1622-34 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results show that DNMT3B3Delta5 may play an important role in stem cell maintenance or differentiation and suggest that sequences encoded by exon 5 influence the functional properties of DNMT3B. ..
- Tang Y, Chen Y, Jiang H, Robbins G, Nie D. G-protein-coupled receptor for short-chain fatty acids suppresses colon cancer. Int J Cancer. 2011;128:847-56 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that GPR43 functions as a tumor suppressor by mediating SCFA-induced cell proliferation inhibition and apoptotic cell death in colon cancer. ..
- Wu J, Wood G. Reduction of Fas/CD95 promoter methylation, upregulation of Fas protein, and enhancement of sensitivity to apoptosis in cutaneous T-cell lymphoma. Arch Dermatol. 2011;147:443-9 pubmed publisher..They also provide a new rationale for the treatment of CTCL with methotrexate and its use in combination with other agents. ..
- Hu N, Strobl Mazzulla P, Sauka Spengler T, Bronner M. DNA methyltransferase3A as a molecular switch mediating the neural tube-to-neural crest fate transition. Genes Dev. 2012;26:2380-5 pubmed publisher..Thus, DNMT3A functions as a molecular switch, repressing neural to favor neural crest cell fate...
- Dong C, Yuan T, Wu Y, Wang Y, Fan T, Miriyala S, et al. Loss of FBP1 by Snail-mediated repression provides metabolic advantages in basal-like breast cancer. Cancer Cell. 2013;23:316-31 pubmed publisher..Our study indicates that the loss of FBP1 is a critical oncogenic event in EMT and BLBC. ..
- Shull A, Clendenning M, Ghoshal Gupta S, Farrell C, Vangapandu H, Dudas L, et al. Somatic mutations, allele loss, and DNA methylation of the Cub and Sushi Multiple Domains 1 (CSMD1) gene reveals association with early age of diagnosis in colorectal cancer patients. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e58731 pubmed publisher..Deep amplicon sequencing and methylation-specific PCR reveal that CSMD1 alterations can correlate with earlier clinical presentation in colorectal tumors, thus further implicating CSMD1 as a tumor suppressor gene. ..
- Schaevitz L, Berger Sweeney J. Gene-environment interactions and epigenetic pathways in autism: the importance of one-carbon metabolism. ILAR J. 2012;53:322-40 pubmed publisher..One thing is clear, if C1 metabolism plays a critical role in ASDs, it provides a potential avenue for treatment and perhaps, ultimately, prevention. ..
- Nizialek E, Mester J, Dhiman V, Smiraglia D, Eng C. KLLN epigenotype-phenotype associations in Cowden syndrome. Eur J Hum Genet. 2015;23:1538-43 pubmed publisher..Germline promoter hypermethylation of KLLN is associated with particular malignant and benign CS features, which is dependent on the PTEN mutation status. ..
- Brown W, Estes D, Chantler S, Kegerreis K, Suarez C. DNA and a CpG oligonucleotide derived from Babesia bovis are mitogenic for bovine B cells. Infect Immun. 1998;66:5423-32 pubmed..These ISS may be involved in host immune modulation during protozoal infection and may be useful as vaccine adjuvants. ..
- Sawado T, Halow J, Bender M, Groudine M. The beta -globin locus control region (LCR) functions primarily by enhancing the transition from transcription initiation to elongation. Genes Dev. 2003;17:1009-18 pubmed..Thus, in its native location the LCR functions primarily downstream of activator recruitment and PIC assembly. ..
- Gu C, Wang Y. In vitro replication and thermodynamic studies of methylation and oxidation modifications of 6-thioguanine. Nucleic Acids Res. 2007;35:3693-704 pubmed..Taken together, the results from this study shed important new light on the biological implications of the two metabolites of 6-TG. ..
- Payne S, Serth J, Schostak M, Kamradt J, Strauss A, Thelen P, et al. DNA methylation biomarkers of prostate cancer: confirmation of candidates and evidence urine is the most sensitive body fluid for non-invasive detection. Prostate. 2009;69:1257-69 pubmed publisher..The biomarkers' PCa sensitivity was greater for urine than plasma DNA. The biomarker performances in urine DNA should next be validated in formal training and test studies. ..
- Moghe A, Joshi Barve S, Ghare S, Gobejishvili L, Kirpich I, McClain C, et al. Histone modifications and alcohol-induced liver disease: are altered nutrients the missing link?. World J Gastroenterol. 2011;17:2465-72 pubmed publisher..The review is focused on four critical metabolites, namely, acetate, S-adenosylmethionine, nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide and zinc that are particularly relevant to alcohol metabolism and ALD. ..
- Chen B, Rao X, House M, Nephew K, Cullen K, Guo Z. GPx3 promoter hypermethylation is a frequent event in human cancer and is associated with tumorigenesis and chemotherapy response. Cancer Lett. 2011;309:37-45 pubmed publisher..GPx3 methylation may have implications in chemotherapy response and clinical outcome of HNC patients. ..
- Singh N, Singh U, Singh B, Price R, Nagarkatti M, Nagarkatti P. Activation of aryl hydrocarbon receptor (AhR) leads to reciprocal epigenetic regulation of FoxP3 and IL-17 expression and amelioration of experimental colitis. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e23522 pubmed publisher..These studies demonstrate for the first time that AhR activation promotes epigenetic regulation thereby influencing reciprocal differentiation of Tregs and Th17 cells, and amelioration of inflammation. ..
- Da K, Nowak J, Flinn B. Potato cytosine methylation and gene expression changes induced by a beneficial bacterial endophyte, Burkholderia phytofirmans strain PsJN. Plant Physiol Biochem. 2012;50:24-34 pubmed publisher..We identified several genes whose transcript levels were either enhanced or decreased in response to PsJN in a variety-specific way, as well as genes that were specifically enhanced in both varieties in response to the endophyte...
- Lomniczi A, Loche A, Castellano J, Ronnekleiv O, Bosch M, Kaidar G, et al. Epigenetic control of female puberty. Nat Neurosci. 2013;16:281-9 pubmed publisher..Our results identify epigenetic silencing as a mechanism underlying the neuroendocrine control of female puberty. ..
- Kozlenkov A, Roussos P, Timashpolsky A, Barbu M, Rudchenko S, Bibikova M, et al. Differences in DNA methylation between human neuronal and glial cells are concentrated in enhancers and non-CpG sites. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:109-27 pubmed publisher..Finally, non-CpG methylation was substantially more prevalent in neurons than in nonneuronal cells. ..
- Jin C, Lu Y, Jelinek J, Liang S, Estecio M, Barton M, et al. TET1 is a maintenance DNA demethylase that prevents methylation spreading in differentiated cells. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:6956-71 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results identify TET1 as a maintenance DNA demethylase that does not purposely decrease methylation levels, but specifically prevents aberrant methylation spreading into CGIs in differentiated cells. ..
- Farshidfar F, Zheng S, Gingras M, Newton Y, Shih J, Robertson A, et al. Integrative Genomic Analysis of Cholangiocarcinoma Identifies Distinct IDH-Mutant Molecular Profiles. Cell Rep. 2017;18:2780-2794 pubmed publisher..Our studies reveal insights into the molecular pathogenesis and heterogeneity of cholangiocarcinoma and provide classification information of potential therapeutic significance. ..
- Liu S, Shen T, Huynh L, Klisovic M, Rush L, Ford J, et al. Interplay of RUNX1/MTG8 and DNA methyltransferase 1 in acute myeloid leukemia. Cancer Res. 2005;65:1277-84 pubmed..These results suggest a novel mechanism for gene silencing mediated by RUNX1/MTG8 and support the combination of HDAC and DNMT inhibitors as a novel therapeutic approach for t(8;21) AML. ..
- Cottrell S, Jung K, Kristiansen G, Eltze E, Semjonow A, Ittmann M, et al. Discovery and validation of 3 novel DNA methylation markers of prostate cancer prognosis. J Urol. 2007;177:1753-8 pubmed..Incorporation of these methylation markers into clinical practice will result in more accurate prediction of which patients are likely to experience PSA recurrence. ..
- Motiwala T, Majumder S, Kutay H, Smith D, Neuberg D, Lucas D, et al. Methylation and silencing of protein tyrosine phosphatase receptor type O in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Clin Cancer Res. 2007;13:3174-81 pubmed..This study reveals the potential role of PTPRO methylation and silencing in CLL tumorigenesis and also provides a novel molecular target in the epigenetic therapy. ..
- Bhusari S, Dobosy J, Fu V, Almassi N, Oberley T, Jarrard D. Superoxide dismutase 1 knockdown induces oxidative stress and DNA methylation loss in the prostate. Epigenetics. 2010;5:402-9 pubmed..These studies indicate that increased oxidative stress, a factor implicated in neoplasia, can induce DNA hypomethylation in prostate tissues. ..
- Jacob Y, Stroud H, Leblanc C, Feng S, Zhuo L, Caro E, et al. Regulation of heterochromatic DNA replication by histone H3 lysine 27 methyltransferases. Nature. 2010;466:987-91 pubmed publisher..Mutation of ATXR5 and ATXR6 also causes upregulation of transposon expression and has pleiotropic effects on plant development. These results uncover a novel pathway that prevents over-replication of heterochromatin in Arabidopsis. ..
- Chen S, Claus R, Lucas D, Yu L, Qian J, Ruppert A, et al. Silencing of the inhibitor of DNA binding protein 4 (ID4) contributes to the pathogenesis of mouse and human CLL. Blood. 2011;117:862-71 pubmed publisher..Collectively, this study confirms the importance of the silencing of ID4 in murine and human CLL pathogenesis. ..
- Tittle R, Sze R, Ng A, Nuckels R, Swartz M, Anderson R, et al. Uhrf1 and Dnmt1 are required for development and maintenance of the zebrafish lens. Dev Biol. 2011;350:50-63 pubmed publisher..These data provide the first evidence that Uhrf1 and Dnmt1 function is required for vertebrate lens development and maintenance. ..
- Pilsner J, Hall M, Liu X, Ilievski V, Slavkovich V, Levy D, et al. Influence of prenatal arsenic exposure and newborn sex on global methylation of cord blood DNA. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e37147 pubmed publisher..An emerging body of evidence indicates that early-life arsenic (As) exposure may influence the trajectory of health outcomes later in life. However, the mechanisms underlying these observations are unknown...
- Ademuyiwa F, Bshara W, Attwood K, Morrison C, Edge S, Karpf A, et al. NY-ESO-1 cancer testis antigen demonstrates high immunogenicity in triple negative breast cancer. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e38783 pubmed publisher..Given these observations, patients with TNBC may benefit from targeted therapies directed against NY-ESO-1. ..
- Ngalame N, Micciche A, Feil M, States J. Delayed temporal increase of hepatic Hsp70 in ApoE knockout mice after prenatal arsenic exposure. Toxicol Sci. 2013;131:225-33 pubmed publisher..Thus, prenatal arsenic exposure causes delayed temporal hepatic Hsp70 induction, suggesting a transient state of stress in livers which can predispose the mice to developing liver disease. ..
- Izumchenko E, Saydi J, Brown K. Exonuclease 1 (Exo1) is required for activating response to S(N)1 DNA methylating agents. DNA Repair (Amst). 2012;11:951-64 pubmed publisher..This study indicates that EXO1 is required to activate MMR-dependent DDR in response to S(N)1 methylating agents; however, this function of EXO1 is independent of its nucleolytic activity. ..
- Yang B, Bhusari S, Kueck J, Weeratunga P, Wagner J, Leverson G, et al. Methylation profiling defines an extensive field defect in histologically normal prostate tissues associated with prostate cancer. Neoplasia. 2013;15:399-408 pubmed..These mapping studies indicate that a spatially widespread epigenetic defect occurs in the peripheral prostate tissues of men who have PCa that may be useful in the detection of this disease. ..
- Dobbs K, Rodriguez M, Sudano M, Ortega M, Hansen P. Dynamics of DNA methylation during early development of the preimplantation bovine embryo. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e66230 pubmed publisher..Developmental changes in expression of DNMT3B are indicative of a possible role in changes in methylation. Moreover, DNMT3B itself appears to be under epigenetic control by methylation. ..
- Yu M, O Leary R, Kaz A, Morris S, Carter K, Chak A, et al. Methylated B3GAT2 and ZNF793 Are Potential Detection Biomarkers for Barrett's Esophagus. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2015;24:1890-7 pubmed publisher..These findings support the development of methylated B3GAT2 and ZNF793 as biomarkers for noninvasive assays for the detection of BE. ..
- SORENSON M, Jha D, Ucles S, Flood D, Strahl B, Stevens S, et al. Histone H3K36 methylation regulates pre-mRNA splicing in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. RNA Biol. 2016;13:412-26 pubmed publisher..Additionally, we found that deletion of SET2 reduces the association of the U2 and U5 snRNPs with chromatin. Thus, our study provides the first evidence that H3K36 methylation plays a role in co-transcriptional RNA splicing in yeast. ..
- Panopoulos A, Smith E, ARIAS A, Shepard P, Hishida Y, Modesto V, et al. Aberrant DNA Methylation in Human iPSCs Associates with MYC-Binding Motifs in a Clone-Specific Manner Independent of Genetics. Cell Stem Cell. 2017;20:505-517.e6 pubmed publisher..Our results argue that a non-genetic biological mechanism underlies aberrant methylation in iPSCs and that it is likely based on a probabilistic process involving MYC that takes place during or shortly after reprogramming. ..
- Maiuri A, Peng M, Podicheti R, Sriramkumar S, Kamplain C, Rusch D, et al. Mismatch Repair Proteins Initiate Epigenetic Alterations during Inflammation-Driven Tumorigenesis. Cancer Res. 2017;77:3467-3478 pubmed publisher..Understanding such mechanisms will inform development of pharmacotherapies to reduce carcinogenesis. Cancer Res; 77(13); 3467-78. ©2017 AACR. ..
- Robertson A, Shih J, Yau C, Gibb E, Oba J, Mungall K, et al. Integrative Analysis Identifies Four Molecular and Clinical Subsets in Uveal Melanoma. Cancer Cell. 2017;32:204-220.e15 pubmed publisher..Within D3-UM, EIF1AX- and SRSF2/SF3B1-mutant tumors have distinct somatic copy number alterations and DNA methylation profiles, providing insight into the biology of these low- versus intermediate-risk clinical mutation subtypes. ..
- Vaz M, Hwang S, Kagiampakis I, Phallen J, Patil A, O Hagan H, et al. Chronic Cigarette Smoke-Induced Epigenomic Changes Precede Sensitization of Bronchial Epithelial Cells to Single-Step Transformation by KRAS Mutations. Cancer Cell. 2017;32:360-376.e6 pubmed publisher..Thus, epigenetic abnormalities may prime for changing oncogene senescence to addiction for a single key oncogene involved in lung cancer initiation. ..
- Neibergs H, Hein D, Spratt J. Genetic profiling of colon cancer. J Surg Oncol. 2002;80:204-13 pubmed
- Liu H, Wang J, Epner E. Cyclin D1 activation in B-cell malignancy: association with changes in histone acetylation, DNA methylation, and RNA polymerase II binding to both promoter and distal sequences. Blood. 2004;104:2505-13 pubmed..Our results suggest a model where RNA polymerase II bound at IgH regulatory sequences can activate the cyclin D1 promoter by either long-range polymerase transfer or tracking. ..
- Song L, James S, Kazim L, Karpf A. Specific method for the determination of genomic DNA methylation by liquid chromatography-electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry. Anal Chem. 2005;77:504-10 pubmed..g., clinical trial samples, or cells collected by laser capture microdissection. ..
- Vener T, Derecho C, Baden J, Wang H, Rajpurohit Y, Skelton J, et al. Development of a multiplexed urine assay for prostate cancer diagnosis. Clin Chem. 2008;54:874-82 pubmed publisher..These data confirm and extend previously reported studies and demonstrate the performance of a clinical prototype assay that should aid urologists in identifying men who should undergo biopsy. ..
- Hackanson B, Bennett K, Brena R, Jiang J, Claus R, Chen S, et al. Epigenetic modification of CCAAT/enhancer binding protein alpha expression in acute myeloid leukemia. Cancer Res. 2008;68:3142-51 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that epigenetic alterations of C/EBP alpha are a frequent event in AML and that epigenetic treatment can result in down-regulation of a key hematopoietic transcription factor. ..
- Gupta A, Kessler P, Rawwas J, Williams B. Regulation of CRABP-II expression by MycN in Wilms tumor. Exp Cell Res. 2008;314:3663-8 pubmed publisher..Thus our results suggest that both MycN and DNA methylation are responsible for CRABP-II expression in pediatric tumors and demethylation of CRABP-II may be an early event in tumor development. ..
- Brower J, Lim C, Han C, Hankowski K, Hamazaki T, Terada N. Differential CpG island methylation of murine adenine nucleotide translocase genes. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1789:198-203 pubmed publisher..To the best of our knowledge, this is a first example to clearly demonstrate a differential usage of CpG island methylation within a family of genes. ..
- Vanaja D, Ehrich M, van den Boom D, Cheville J, Karnes R, Tindall D, et al. Hypermethylation of genes for diagnosis and risk stratification of prostate cancer. Cancer Invest. 2009;27:549-60 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, CpG site hypermethylation of genes FLNC, EFS, ECRG4, PITX2, PDLIM4, and KCNMA1 were associated with prediction of biochemical, local, and systemic recurrence of prostate cancer. ..
- Spurgeon S, Yu M, Phillips J, Epner E. Cladribine: not just another purine analogue?. Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 2009;18:1169-81 pubmed publisher..This may contribute to its efficacy and highlights the importance of studying combination therapy with other epigenetic or targeted agents. Clinical trials are underway in a variety of malignant and nonmalignant conditions. ..
- Beleford D, Liu Z, Rattan R, Quagliuolo L, Boccellino M, Baldi A, et al. Methylation induced gene silencing of HtrA3 in smoking-related lung cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2010;16:398-409 pubmed publisher..Some 85% of lung cancers are smoking related. Here, we investigate the role of serine protease HtrA3 in smoking-related lung cancer...
- Dyer L, Schooler K, Ai L, Klop C, Qiu J, Robertson K, et al. The transglutaminase 2 gene is aberrantly hypermethylated in glioma. J Neurooncol. 2011;101:429-40 pubmed publisher..Finally, a catalytically null mutant of TG2 was also able to support doxorubicin resistance in glioma cells indicating that transglutaminase activity is not necessary for the resistance phenotype. ..
- Ishiguro K, Zhu Y, Shyam K, Penketh P, Baumann R, Sartorelli A. Quantitative relationship between guanine O(6)-alkyl lesions produced by Onrigin™ and tumor resistance by O(6)-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase. Biochem Pharmacol. 2010;80:1317-25 pubmed publisher..These studies imply that the antitumor activity of Onrigin™ stems from guanine O(6)-chloroethylation and define the threshold concentration of AGT that negates its antineoplastic activity. ..
- Yan H, Choi A, Lee B, Ting A. Identification and functional analysis of epigenetically silenced microRNAs in colorectal cancer cells. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e20628 pubmed publisher..In addition to reporting these findings, our study also provides a reliable, systematic strategy to identify DNA methylation-regulated miRNAs by combining DNA methylation profiles and expression data. ..
- La H, Ding B, Mishra G, Zhou B, Yang H, Chen S, et al. A 5-methylcytosine DNA glycosylase/lyase demethylates the retrotransposon Tos17 and promotes its transposition in rice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:15498-503 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that rice DNG701 is a 5-meC DNA glycosylase/lyase responsible for the demethylation of Tos17 and this DNA demethylase plays a critical role in promoting Tos17 transposition in rice calli...
- Peng Z, Shen R, Li Y, Teng K, Shapiro C, Lin H. Epigenetic repression of RARRES1 is mediated by methylation of a proximal promoter and a loss of CTCF binding. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e36891 pubmed publisher..We also revealed the tumor suppressive roles exerted by RARRES1 in part by promoting breast epithelial cell death and by impeding cell invasion that is an important property for metastatic spread. ..
- Rao X, Evans J, Chae H, Pilrose J, Kim S, Yan P, et al. CpG island shore methylation regulates caveolin-1 expression in breast cancer. Oncogene. 2013;32:4519-28 pubmed publisher..Based on this first study of Cav1 (a potential oncogene) CGI shore methylation, we suggest this phenomenon may represent a new prognostic marker for ER?-negative, basal-like breast cancer. ..
- Leonova K, Brodsky L, Lipchick B, Pal M, Novototskaya L, Chenchik A, et al. p53 cooperates with DNA methylation and a suicidal interferon response to maintain epigenetic silencing of repeats and noncoding RNAs. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:E89-98 pubmed publisher..Overall, this work reveals roles for p53 and IFN that are key for genetic stability and therefore relevant to both tumorigenesis and the evolution of species. ..
- Ogunwobi O, Puszyk W, Dong H, Liu C. Epigenetic upregulation of HGF and c-Met drives metastasis in hepatocellular carcinoma. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e63765 pubmed publisher..Consequently, targeting HGF and c-Met expression by CTCs may be a novel non-invasive approach with potential clinical applications in HCC management. ..
- Petell C, Loiseau G, Gandy R, Pradhan S, Gowher H. A refined DNA methylation detection method using MspJI coupled quantitative PCR. Anal Biochem. 2017;533:1-9 pubmed publisher..The high specificity and sensitivity of this targeted approach increases its potential as a diagnostic tool to detect relatively smaller gains in DNA methylation at specific sites from limited amounts of sample. ..
- Ai L, Tao Q, Zhong S, Fields C, Kim W, Lee M, et al. Inactivation of Wnt inhibitory factor-1 (WIF1) expression by epigenetic silencing is a common event in breast cancer. Carcinogenesis. 2006;27:1341-8 pubmed..Our findings establish the WIF1 gene as a target for epigenetic silencing in breast cancer and provide a mechanistic link between the dysregulation of Wnt signaling and breast tumorigenesis. ..
- Smith C, Mutti N, Jasper W, Naidu A, Smith C, Gadau J. Patterns of DNA methylation in development, division of labor and hybridization in an ant with genetic caste determination. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e42433 pubmed publisher..Current and historic hybridization appear to have altered genomic methylation levels suggesting a possible link between changes in overall DNA methylation and the origin and regulation of genetic caste determination in P. barbatus. ..
- Zhao L, Niu Y, Santiago A, Liu J, Albert S, Robertson K, et al. An EBF3-mediated transcriptional program that induces cell cycle arrest and apoptosis. Cancer Res. 2006;66:9445-52 pubmed..Therefore, EBF3 regulates a transcriptional program underlying a putative tumor suppression pathway. ..
- Ai L, Kim W, Demircan B, Dyer L, Bray K, Skehan R, et al. The transglutaminase 2 gene (TGM2), a potential molecular marker for chemotherapeutic drug sensitivity, is epigenetically silenced in breast cancer. Carcinogenesis. 2008;29:510-8 pubmed publisher..This work indicates that the TGM2 gene is a target for epigenetic silencing in breast cancer and suggests that this aberrant molecular event is a potential marker for chemotherapeutic drug sensitivity. ..
- Bennett K, Karpenko M, Lin M, Claus R, Arab K, Dyckhoff G, et al. Frequently methylated tumor suppressor genes in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer Res. 2008;68:4494-9 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, all of the candidates identified may be involved in the transforming growth factor beta signaling pathway, which is often disrupted in HNSCC. ..
- Cui Y, Yeager R, Zhong X, Klaassen C. Ontogenic expression of hepatic Ahr mRNA is associated with histone H3K4 di-methylation during mouse liver development. Toxicol Lett. 2009;189:184-90 pubmed publisher..91). In conclusion, postnatal H3K4Me2 enrichment positively associates with Ahr mRNA in developing mouse liver, providing a permissive chromatin state allowing Ahr gene transactivation in postnatal liver development. ..
- Maddodi N, Bhat K, Devi S, Zhang S, Setaluri V. Oncogenic BRAFV600E induces expression of neuronal differentiation marker MAP2 in melanoma cells by promoter demethylation and down-regulation of transcription repressor HES1. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:242-54 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that BRAF oncogene levels can regulate melanoma neuronal differentiation and tumor progression. ..
- Luo W, Karpf A, Deeb K, Muindi J, Morrison C, Johnson C, et al. Epigenetic regulation of vitamin D 24-hydroxylase/CYP24A1 in human prostate cancer. Cancer Res. 2010;70:5953-62 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that repression of CYP24A1 gene expression in human prostate cancer cells is mediated in part by promoter DNA methylation and repressive histone modifications. ..
- Acharyya S, Sharma S, Cheng A, Ladner K, He W, Kline W, et al. TNF inhibits Notch-1 in skeletal muscle cells by Ezh2 and DNA methylation mediated repression: implications in duchenne muscular dystrophy. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e12479 pubmed publisher..This regulation coincides with elevated levels of muscle derived TNFalpha that is also under IKKbeta and NF-kappaB control...
- Pedersen K, Bamlet W, Oberg A, de Andrade M, Matsumoto M, Tang H, et al. Leukocyte DNA methylation signature differentiates pancreatic cancer patients from healthy controls. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e18223 pubmed publisher..The methylation differences at certain CpG sites are partially attributable to genetic variation. This study strongly supports future epigenome-wide association study using leukocyte DNA for biomarker discovery in human diseases. ..
- Koo D, Han F, Birchler J, Jiang J. Distinct DNA methylation patterns associated with active and inactive centromeres of the maize B chromosome. Genome Res. 2011;21:908-14 pubmed publisher..In contrast, an inactive version of this same centromere exhibits hypermethylation, indicating that the inactive centromere was modified into a different epigenetic state at the DNA level. ..
- Gertz J, Varley K, Reddy T, Bowling K, Pauli F, Parker S, et al. Analysis of DNA methylation in a three-generation family reveals widespread genetic influence on epigenetic regulation. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002228 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results demonstrate that the influence of genotype on patterns of DNA methylation is widespread in the genome and greatly exceeds the influence of imprinting on genome-wide methylation patterns. ..
- Teoh Fitzgerald M, Fitzgerald M, Zhong W, Askeland R, Domann F. Epigenetic reprogramming governs EcSOD expression during human mammary epithelial cell differentiation, tumorigenesis and metastasis. Oncogene. 2014;33:358-68 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that epigenetic silencing of EcSOD may contribute to mammary tumorigenesis and that restoring the extracellular superoxide scavenging activity could be an effective strategy for breast cancer treatment. ..
- Armstrong D, Lesseur C, Conradt E, Lester B, Marsit C. Global and gene-specific DNA methylation across multiple tissues in early infancy: implications for children's health research. FASEB J. 2014;28:2088-97 pubmed publisher..Each tissue has a unique epigenetic signature that likely reflects their differential functions. Future studies should consider the uniqueness of these features, to improve epigenetic biomarker discovery and translation. ..
- Jin S, Zhang Z, Dunwell T, Harter M, Wu X, Johnson J, et al. Tet3 Reads 5-Carboxylcytosine through Its CXXC Domain and Is a Potential Guardian against Neurodegeneration. Cell Rep. 2016;14:493-505 pubmed publisher..Active removal of accumulating 5mC from the TSSs of genes coding for lysosomal proteins by Tet3FL in postmitotic neurons of the brain may be important for preventing neurodegenerative diseases. ..
- Manikkam M, Tracey R, Guerrero Bosagna C, Skinner M. Dioxin (TCDD) induces epigenetic transgenerational inheritance of adult onset disease and sperm epimutations. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e46249 pubmed publisher..Observations demonstrate dioxin exposure of a gestating female promotes epigenetic transgenerational inheritance of adult onset disease and sperm epimutations. ..
- Liu H, Liu Z, Wang Y, Stinchcombe T, Owzar K, Han Y, et al. Functional variants in DCAF4 associated with lung cancer risk in European populations. Carcinogenesis. 2017;38:541-551 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggest that rs12587742 is associated with an increased lung cancer risk, possibly by up-regulating mRNA expression and decreasing methylation status of DCAF4. ..
- Ha M, Ng D, Li W, Chen Z. Coordinated histone modifications are associated with gene expression variation within and between species. Genome Res. 2011;21:590-8 pubmed publisher..The data suggest that genome-wide coordinated modifications of histone acetylation and methylation provide a general mechanism for gene expression changes within and between species and in allopolyploids. ..
- Mukhopadhyay P, Rezzoug F, Kaikaus J, Greene R, Pisano M. Alcohol modulates expression of DNA methyltranferases and methyl CpG-/CpG domain-binding proteins in murine embryonic fibroblasts. Reprod Toxicol. 2013;37:40-8 pubmed publisher..These data support a potential epigenetic molecular mechanism underlying the pathogenesis of FAS during mammalian development. ..
- Chae H, Lee S, Nephew K, Kim S. Subtype-specific CpG island shore methylation and mutation patterns in 30 breast cancer cell lines. BMC Syst Biol. 2016;10:116 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that alterations in DNA methylation play critical roles in gene regulatory process as well as cytosine substitution rates at CpG sites in molecular subtypes of breast cancer. ..