Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on dna methylation in United Kingdom
Locale: United Kingdom
Topic: dna methylation
- Manzano D, Marquardt S, Jones A, Bäurle I, Liu F, Dean C. Altered interactions within FY/AtCPSF complexes required for Arabidopsis FCA-mediated chromatin silencing. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:8772-7 pubmed publisher..These altered interactions would appear to be a necessary step in this RNA-mediated chromatin silencing. ..
- Jaber Hijazi F, Lo P, Mihaylova Y, Foster J, Benner J, Tejada Romero B, et al. Planarian MBD2/3 is required for adult stem cell pluripotency independently of DNA methylation. Dev Biol. 2013;384:141-53 pubmed publisher..We conclude that MBD proteins may have had an ancient role in broadly controlling animal stem cell pluripotency, but that DNA methylation is not involved in planarian stem cell differentiation. ..
- John R, Lefebvre L. Developmental regulation of somatic imprints. Differentiation. 2011;81:270-80 pubmed publisher..Moreover, studies on genes directly silenced by somatic DMRs may be informative in understanding the significance of controlling gene dosage in the adult. ..
- Poumpouridou N, Acha Sagredo A, Goutas N, Vlachodimitropoulos D, Chatziioannidou I, Lianidou E, et al. Development and validation of molecular methodologies to assess PALB2 expression in sporadic breast cancer. Clin Biochem. 2016;49:253-9 pubmed publisher..DNA methylation is an unlike mechanism for PALB2 transcriptional regulation. PALB2 mRNA expression does not seem be a promising prognostic biomarker for sporadic breast cancer. ..
- Cunningham C, Ji L, Wiberg R, Shelton J, McKinney E, Parker D, et al. The Genome and Methylome of a Beetle with Complex Social Behavior, Nicrophorus vespilloides (Coleoptera: Silphidae). Genome Biol Evol. 2015;7:3383-96 pubmed publisher..The addition of this genome adds a coleopteran resource to answer questions about the evolution and mechanistic basis of sociality and to address questions about the potential role of methylation in social behavior. ..
- Zeng L, Jarrett C, Brown K, Gillespie K, Holly J, Perks C. Insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 (IGFBP-3) plays a role in the anti-tumorigenic effects of 5-Aza-2'-deoxycytidine (AZA) in breast cancer cells. Exp Cell Res. 2013;319:2282-95 pubmed publisher..IGFBP-3 plays an important role in the anti-tumorigenic effects of AZA on breast cancer cells. ..
- Satou Y, Miyazato P, Ishihara K, Yaguchi H, Melamed A, Miura M, et al. The retrovirus HTLV-1 inserts an ectopic CTCF-binding site into the human genome. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:3054-9 pubmed publisher..The presence of an ectopic CTCF-BS introduced by the retrovirus in tens of thousands of genomic locations has the potential to cause widespread abnormalities in host cell chromatin structure and gene expression. ..
- Li J, Bench A, Vassiliou G, Fourouclas N, Ferguson Smith A, Green A. Imprinting of the human L3MBTL gene, a polycomb family member located in a region of chromosome 20 deleted in human myeloid malignancies. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:7341-6 pubmed
- Sproul D, Nestor C, Culley J, Dickson J, Dixon J, Harrison D, et al. Transcriptionally repressed genes become aberrantly methylated and distinguish tumors of different lineages in breast cancer. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:4364-9 pubmed publisher..Our findings implicate aberrant DNA methylation as a marker of cell lineage rather than tumor progression and suggest that, in most cases, it does not cause the repression with which it is associated. ..
- Tweedie S, Charlton J, Clark V, Bird A. Methylation of genomes and genes at the invertebrate-vertebrate boundary. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:1469-75 pubmed
- Peters J, Wroe S, Wells C, Miller H, Bodle D, Beechey C, et al. A cluster of oppositely imprinted transcripts at the Gnas locus in the distal imprinting region of mouse chromosome 2. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:3830-5 pubmed..This demonstrates an imprinting mechanism in which two oppositely imprinted genes share the same downstream exons. ..
- Patalano S, Hore T, Reik W, Sumner S. Shifting behaviour: epigenetic reprogramming in eusocial insects. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2012;24:367-73 pubmed publisher..This framework forges a novel link between two fields of biological research, providing predictions for a unified approach to understanding the molecular mechanisms underlying biological complexity. ..
- Beyan H, Down T, Ramagopalan S, Uvebrant K, Nilsson A, Holland M, et al. Guthrie card methylomics identifies temporally stable epialleles that are present at birth in humans. Genome Res. 2012;22:2138-45 pubmed publisher..e., before overt clinical disease. Guthrie card methylomics offers a potentially powerful and cost-effective strategy for studying the dynamics of interindividual epigenomic variation in a range of common human diseases. ..
- Sharp T, Al Attar A, Foxler D, Ding L, de A Vallim T, Zhang Y, et al. The chromosome 3p21.3-encoded gene, LIMD1, is a critical tumor suppressor involved in human lung cancer development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:19932-7 pubmed publisher..As such, LIMD1 has the potential to communicate cell extrinsic or environmental cues with nuclear responses. ..
- ..Many of these tissue-specific methylated CGIs localise to regions distal to promoters, the regulatory function of which remains to be determined. ..
- Bulstrode H, Johnstone E, Marqués Torrejón M, Ferguson K, Bressan R, Blin C, et al. Elevated FOXG1 and SOX2 in glioblastoma enforces neural stem cell identity through transcriptional control of cell cycle and epigenetic regulators. Genes Dev. 2017;31:757-773 pubmed publisher..Thus, FOXG1 and SOX2 operate in complementary but distinct roles to fuel unconstrained self-renewal in GBM stem cells via transcriptional control of core cell cycle and epigenetic regulators. ..
- Fiegl H, Windbichler G, Mueller Holzner E, Goebel G, Lechner M, Jacobs I, et al. HOXA11 DNA methylation--a novel prognostic biomarker in ovarian cancer. Int J Cancer. 2008;123:725-9 pubmed publisher..03)]. These findings support the view that the technical inability to optimally cytoreduce ovarian cancer is associated with particular molecular alterations in the tumor which per se define a subgroup of patients with poor outcome. ..
- Hayward B, Moran V, Strain L, Bonthron D. Bidirectional imprinting of a single gene: GNAS1 encodes maternally, paternally, and biallelically derived proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:15475-80 pubmed
- Jackson M, Krassowska A, Gilbert N, Chevassut T, Forrester L, Ansell J, et al. Severe global DNA hypomethylation blocks differentiation and induces histone hyperacetylation in embryonic stem cells. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:8862-71 pubmed..This demonstrates that successful terminal differentiation is not dependent simply on adequate methylation levels. There is an absolute requirement that the methylation be delivered by the maintenance enzyme Dnmt1. ..
- Strathdee D, Whitelaw C, Clark A. Distal transgene insertion affects CpG island maintenance during differentiation. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:11509-15 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, they indicate that features built into the CpG island are not sufficient to direct CpG island maintenance during differentiation. ..
- Mosher R, Schwach F, Studholme D, Baulcombe D. PolIVb influences RNA-directed DNA methylation independently of its role in siRNA biogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:3145-50 pubmed publisher..From these findings, we infer that the role of PolIVb in siRNA production is secondary to a role in chromatin modification and is influenced by chromatin context. ..
- Minary P, Levitt M. Training-free atomistic prediction of nucleosome occupancy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:6293-8 pubmed publisher..Methylation also alters the preference of nucleosomes for some positioning sequences but not others. ..
- Duthie S, Grant G, Pirie L, Watson A, Margison G. Folate deficiency alters hepatic and colon MGMT and OGG-1 DNA repair protein expression in rats but has no effect on genome-wide DNA methylation. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2010;3:92-100 pubmed publisher..We speculate that the inability of colon tissue to respond to folate deficiency occurs in humans and may increase the potential for malignant transformation. ..
- Ohhata T, Senner C, Hemberger M, Wutz A. Lineage-specific function of the noncoding Tsix RNA for Xist repression and Xi reactivation in mice. Genes Dev. 2011;25:1702-15 pubmed publisher..This finding shows that reversible XCI is not exclusive to pluripotent cells, and that in some lineages cell differentiation is not accompanied by a stabilization of the Xi. ..
- Lagger S, Connelly J, Schweikert G, Webb S, Selfridge J, Ramsahoye B, et al. MeCP2 recognizes cytosine methylated tri-nucleotide and di-nucleotide sequences to tune transcription in the mammalian brain. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006793 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that MeCP2 integrates patterns of mCAC and mCG in the brain to restrain transcription of genes critical for neuronal function. ..
- Guidez F, Parks S, Wong H, Jovanovic J, Mays A, Gilkes A, et al. RARalpha-PLZF overcomes PLZF-mediated repression of CRABPI, contributing to retinoid resistance in t(11;17) acute promyelocytic leukemia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:18694-9 pubmed
- Lees Murdock D, Shovlin T, Gardiner T, De Felici M, Walsh C. DNA methyltransferase expression in the mouse germ line during periods of de novo methylation. Dev Dyn. 2005;232:992-1002 pubmed..These mechanisms converge to ensure that the only time that functional products from each locus are present in the germ cell nuclei is around embryonic day 17.5 in males and after birth in the growing oocytes in females. ..
- Nesbit M, Hodges M, Campbell L, de Meulemeester T, Alders M, Rodrigues N, et al. Genomic organization and chromosomal localization of a member of the MAP kinase phosphatase gene family to human chromosome 11p15.5 and a pseudogene to 10q11.2. Genomics. 1997;42:284-94 pubmed..Chromosome 11p15 has been implicated in the development of a number of tumor types, including lung, a tissue known to express this gene. Loss of heterozygosity was found in one of eight informative lung tumors studied. ..
- Jeffery L, Nakielny S. Components of the DNA methylation system of chromatin control are RNA-binding proteins. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:49479-87 pubmed..The RNA and methyl-CG binding properties of the MBD proteins are mutually exclusive. We speculate that DNMTs and MBD proteins allow RNA molecules to participate in DNA methylation-mediated chromatin control. ..
- Berger J, Sansom O, Clarke A, Bird A. MBD2 is required for correct spatial gene expression in the gut. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:4049-57 pubmed..The results suggest that modulation of MBD2 during gut development establishes a region-specific gene expression pattern that is essential for establishing correct segmental character. ..
- Choi J, Underkoffler L, Wood A, Collins J, Williams P, Golden J, et al. A novel variant of Inpp5f is imprinted in brain, and its expression is correlated with differential methylation of an internal CpG island. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:5514-22 pubmed
- Zhou H, Brockington M, Jungbluth H, Monk D, Stanier P, Sewry C, et al. Epigenetic allele silencing unveils recessive RYR1 mutations in core myopathies. Am J Hum Genet. 2006;79:859-68 pubmed..Furthermore, our data suggest that imprinting is a likely mechanism for this phenomenon and that similar mechanisms could play a role in human phenotypic heterogeneity...
- Moore T, Constancia M, Zubair M, Bailleul B, Feil R, Sasaki H, et al. Multiple imprinted sense and antisense transcripts, differential methylation and tandem repeats in a putative imprinting control region upstream of mouse Igf2. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:12509-14 pubmed..Our results support the proposal that tandem repeats act to target methylation to imprinted genetic loci. ..
- Furner I, Sheikh M, Collett C. Gene silencing and homology-dependent gene silencing in Arabidopsis: genetic modifiers and DNA methylation. Genetics. 1998;149:651-62 pubmed..The existence of this mutant class shows that gene silencing involves genes that are not necessary for HDG silencing. A further mutant (Catt) was isolated and has an attenuated HDG-silencing T-DNA. ..
- Koivisto P, Robins P, Lindahl T, Sedgwick B. Demethylation of 3-methylthymine in DNA by bacterial and human DNA dioxygenases. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:40470-4 pubmed..Our data suggest that 3-methylthymine residues in DNA will be repaired inefficiently in vivo and therefore may occur at a low steady-state level, but the residues should not gradually accumulate to high levels in long lived cells. ..
- Vinkenoog R, Spielman M, Adams S, Fischer R, Dickinson H, Scott R. Hypomethylation promotes autonomous endosperm development and rescues postfertilization lethality in fie mutants. Plant Cell. 2000;12:2271-82 pubmed..These results are discussed in light of models for parent-of-origin effects on seed development. ..
- Coombes C, Arnaud P, Gordon E, Dean W, Coar E, Williamson C, et al. Epigenetic properties and identification of an imprint mark in the Nesp-Gnasxl domain of the mouse Gnas imprinted locus. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:5475-88 pubmed..This is the second gametic mark identified at Gnas and suggests that the Nesp and Gnasxl promoters are under separate control from the Gnas promoter. We propose models to account for the regulation of imprinting at the locus. ..
- Williamson C, Ball S, Dawson C, Mehta S, Beechey C, Fray M, et al. Uncoupling antisense-mediated silencing and DNA methylation in the imprinted Gnas cluster. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1001347 pubmed publisher..These results have broad implications for understanding the hierarchy of events in epigenetic silencing by macroRNAs. ..
- Deaton A, Bird A. CpG islands and the regulation of transcription. Genes Dev. 2011;25:1010-22 pubmed publisher..CGIs are therefore generically equipped to influence local chromatin structure and simplify regulation of gene activity. ..
- Bahar A, Simpson D, Cutty S, Bicknell J, Hoban P, Holley S, et al. Isolation and characterization of a novel pituitary tumor apoptosis gene. Mol Endocrinol. 2004;18:1827-39 pubmed..The ability of cells, showing reduced expression of PTAG, to evade or show a blunted apoptotic response may underlie oncogenic transformation in both the pituitary and other tumor types. ..
- Nan X, Campoy F, Bird A. MeCP2 is a transcriptional repressor with abundant binding sites in genomic chromatin. Cell. 1997;88:471-81 pubmed..These properties, together with the abundance of MeCP2 and the high frequency of its 2 bp binding site, suggest a role as a global transcriptional repressor in vertebrate genomes. ..
- Kikyo N, Williamson C, John R, Barton S, Beechey C, Ball S, et al. Genetic and functional analysis of neuronatin in mice with maternal or paternal duplication of distal Chr 2. Dev Biol. 1997;190:66-77 pubmed
- Glasow A, Barrett A, Petrie K, Gupta R, Boix Chornet M, Zhou D, et al. DNA methylation-independent loss of RARA gene expression in acute myeloid leukemia. Blood. 2008;111:2374-7 pubmed..These results underscore the complexities of the mechanisms responsible for deregulation of gene expression in AML and support the notion that diminished RARA expression contributes to leukemogenesis. ..
- McStay B, Grummt I. The epigenetics of rRNA genes: from molecular to chromosome biology. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol. 2008;24:131-57 pubmed publisher..We also review the critical role of the RNA polymerase I transcription factor UBF in the formation of active nucleolar organizer regions (NORs) and maintenance of the euchromatic state of rRNA genes...
- Durcova Hills G, Hajkova P, Sullivan S, Barton S, Surani M, McLaren A. Influence of sex chromosome constitution on the genomic imprinting of germ cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:11184-8 pubmed
- Morris M, Gentle D, Abdulrahman M, Maina E, Gupta K, Banks R, et al. Tumor suppressor activity and epigenetic inactivation of hepatocyte growth factor activator inhibitor type 2/SPINT2 in papillary and clear cell renal cell carcinoma. Cancer Res. 2005;65:4598-606 pubmed..This information provides opportunities to develop novel targeted approaches to the treatment of RCC. ..
- Bowers S, Mirabella F, Calero Nieto F, Valeaux S, Hadjur S, Baxter E, et al. A conserved insulator that recruits CTCF and cohesin exists between the closely related but divergently regulated interleukin-3 and granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor genes. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:1682-93 pubmed publisher..We suggest that one important role of these sites is to enable the independent regulation of the IL-3 and GM-CSF genes. ..
- Barr H, Hermann A, Berger J, Tsai H, Adie K, Prokhortchouk A, et al. Mbd2 contributes to DNA methylation-directed repression of the Xist gene. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:3750-7 pubmed
- Nan X, Hou J, Maclean A, Nasir J, Lafuente M, Shu X, et al. Interaction between chromatin proteins MECP2 and ATRX is disrupted by mutations that cause inherited mental retardation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:2709-14 pubmed..We propose that disruption of the MeCP2-ATRX interaction leads to pathological changes that contribute to mental retardation. ..
- Goto T, Monk M. Regulation of X-chromosome inactivation in development in mice and humans. Microbiol Mol Biol Rev. 1998;62:362-78 pubmed..This article reviews the mechanisms underlying XCI and recent advances elucidating the functions of the Xist gene in mice and humans. ..
- Levin M, Shimizu T, Bray D. Binding and diffusion of CheR molecules within a cluster of membrane receptors. Biophys J. 2002;82:1809-17 pubmed..We explore the possible consequences of this motion, which we term "molecular brachiation", for chemotactic adaptation and suggest that a similar mechanism may be operative in other large assemblies of protein molecules. ..
- Uphoff S, Reyes Lamothe R, Garza de Leon F, Sherratt D, Kapanidis A. Single-molecule DNA repair in live bacteria. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:8063-8 pubmed publisher..We integrated these single-molecule observations to generate a quantitative, systems-level description of a model repair pathway in vivo...
- Barazzuol L, Jena R, Burnet N, Jeynes J, Merchant M, Kirkby K, et al. In vitro evaluation of combined temozolomide and radiotherapy using X? rays and high-linear energy transfer radiation for glioblastoma. Radiat Res. 2012;177:651-62 pubmed..It is also possible that new fractionation schedules could be designed to exploit the change in DNA repair kinetics when MGMT-methylated cells respond to high-LET radiation. ..
- Sonmez C, Bäurle I, Magusin A, Dreos R, Laubinger S, Weigel D, et al. RNA 3' processing functions of Arabidopsis FCA and FPA limit intergenic transcription. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:8508-13 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that FCA and FPA play important roles in the A. thaliana genome in RNA 3' processing and transcription termination, thus limiting intergenic transcription. ..
- Li J, Dudas B, Webster M, Cook H, Davies B, Gilmartin P. Hose in Hose, an S locus-linked mutant of Primula vulgaris, is caused by an unstable mutation at the Globosa locus. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:5664-8 pubmed publisher..These data define the molecular basis of the Hose in Hose mutation and provide an explanation for its long-documented phenotypic instability...
- Poulogiannis G, McIntyre R, Dimitriadi M, Apps J, Wilson C, Ichimura K, et al. PARK2 deletions occur frequently in sporadic colorectal cancer and accelerate adenoma development in Apc mutant mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:15145-50 pubmed publisher..We conclude that PARK2 is a tumor suppressor gene whose haploinsufficiency cooperates with mutant APC in colorectal carcinogenesis...
- Daskalos A, Logotheti S, Markopoulou S, Xinarianos G, Gosney J, Kastania A, et al. Global DNA hypomethylation-induced ?Np73 transcriptional activation in non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Lett. 2011;300:79-86 pubmed publisher..P2 hypomethylation strongly correlated with LINE-1 element hypomethylation, indicating that ??p73 over-expression may be a passive consequence of global DNA hypomethylation. ..
- Apostolidou S, Hadwin R, Burnell M, Jones A, Baff D, Pyndiah N, et al. DNA methylation analysis in liquid-based cytology for cervical cancer screening. Int J Cancer. 2009;125:2995-3002 pubmed publisher..Further assessment of these preliminary estimates will need to be performed in a larger cohort to confirm clinical utility. ..
- Morgan H, Dean W, Coker H, Reik W, Petersen Mahrt S. Activation-induced cytidine deaminase deaminates 5-methylcytosine in DNA and is expressed in pluripotent tissues: implications for epigenetic reprogramming. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:52353-60 pubmed
- Carr J, Bell E, Pearson A, Kees U, Beris H, Lunec J, et al. Increased frequency of aberrations in the p53/MDM2/p14(ARF) pathway in neuroblastoma cell lines established at relapse. Cancer Res. 2006;66:2138-45 pubmed..If these data are confirmed in neuroblastoma tumors, this suggests that p53-independent therapy and reactivation of inactive p53 approaches would be useful in the management of relapsed neuroblastoma. ..
- Forne T, Oswald J, Dean W, Saam J, Bailleul B, Dandolo L, et al. Loss of the maternal H19 gene induces changes in Igf2 methylation in both cis and trans. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:10243-8 pubmed..Selection during development for the appropriate expression of Igf2, dosage-dependent factors that bind to the Igf2 gene, or methylation transfer between the parental alleles could be involved in this trans effect. ..
- Wood A, Schulz R, Woodfine K, Koltowska K, Beechey C, Peters J, et al. Regulation of alternative polyadenylation by genomic imprinting. Genes Dev. 2008;22:1141-6 pubmed publisher..On methylated alleles, the internal promoter is inactive and elongation proceeds to downstream polyadenylation sites. This demonstrates that epigenetic modifications can influence utilization of alternative polyadenylation sites. ..
- Phesse T, Parry L, Reed K, Ewan K, Dale T, Sansom O, et al. Deficiency of Mbd2 attenuates Wnt signaling. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:6094-103 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we show that Lect2 is capable of functioning as a Wnt pathway repressor. These results therefore provide a mechanistic basis for the epigenetic control of adenoma formation mediated through Mbd2. ..
- Arima T, Drewell R, Oshimura M, Wake N, Surani M. A novel imprinted gene, HYMAI, is located within an imprinted domain on human chromosome 6 containing ZAC. Genomics. 2000;67:248-55 pubmed..HYMAI and ZAC/LOT1 are therefore candidate genes involved in TNDM. Furthermore, the human chromosome 6q24 region is syntenic to mouse chromosome 10 and represents a novel imprinted domain. ..
- Doufekas K, Hadwin R, Kandimalla R, Jones A, Mould T, Crowe S, et al. GALR1 methylation in vaginal swabs is highly accurate in identifying women with endometrial cancer. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2013;23:1050-5 pubmed publisher..7% and a specificity of 78.9%. ..
- Dallol A, da Silva N, Viacava P, Minna J, Bieche I, Maher E, et al. SLIT2, a human homologue of the Drosophila Slit2 gene, has tumor suppressor activity and is frequently inactivated in lung and breast cancers. Cancer Res. 2002;62:5874-80 pubmed..2. ..
- Wong N, Britton M, Choi G, Stanton T, Bicknell D, Wilding J, et al. Loss of CDX1 expression in colorectal carcinoma: promoter methylation, mutation, and loss of heterozygosity analyses of 37 cell lines. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:574-9 pubmed..In conclusion, absence or reduction of CDX1 expression in CRC seems to be primarily regulated by promoter methylation and is probably selected for because of its impact on the differentiation of colonocytes. ..
- Ng H, Jeppesen P, Bird A. Active repression of methylated genes by the chromosomal protein MBD1. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:1394-406 pubmed..Thus, the deacetylase-dependent pathway by which MBD1 actively silences methylated genes is likely to be different from that utilized by the methylation-dependent repressors MeCP1 and MeCP2. ..
- Gaspar N, Marshall L, Perryman L, Bax D, Little S, Viana Pereira M, et al. MGMT-independent temozolomide resistance in pediatric glioblastoma cells associated with a PI3-kinase-mediated HOX/stem cell gene signature. Cancer Res. 2010;70:9243-52 pubmed publisher..We have thus shown an in vitro link between phosphoinositide 3-kinase-mediated HOXA9/HOXA10 expression, and a drug-resistant, progenitor cell phenotype in MGMT-independent pediatric glioblastoma. ..
- Hall G, Shaw R, Field E, Rogers S, Sutton D, Woolgar J, et al. p16 Promoter methylation is a potential predictor of malignant transformation in oral epithelial dysplasia. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2008;17:2174-9 pubmed publisher..We thus conclude that methylation of the p16 gene promoter shows promise as a predictor for malignant transformation (Fisher's exact, P = 0.002) in a subset of patients. ..
- Dallol A, Morton D, Maher E, Latif F. SLIT2 axon guidance molecule is frequently inactivated in colorectal cancer and suppresses growth of colorectal carcinoma cells. Cancer Res. 2003;63:1054-8 pubmed..In addition, conditioned medium from SLIT2-transfected COS-7 cells reduced cell growth and induced apoptosis in SW48 colorectal tumor cell line. In conclusion, SLIT2 is an excellent candidate tumor suppressor gene for colorectal cancer. ..
- Sandovici I, Smith N, Nitert M, Ackers Johnson M, Uribe Lewis S, Ito Y, et al. Maternal diet and aging alter the epigenetic control of a promoter-enhancer interaction at the Hnf4a gene in rat pancreatic islets. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:5449-54 pubmed publisher..We therefore propose that environmentally induced changes in promoter-enhancer interactions represent a fundamental epigenetic mechanism by which nutrition and aging can influence long-term health. ..
- Jørgensen H, Ben Porath I, Bird A. Mbd1 is recruited to both methylated and nonmethylated CpGs via distinct DNA binding domains. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:3387-95 pubmed..Our findings indicate that MBD1 can interpret the CpG dinucleotide as a repressive signal in vivo regardless of its methylation status. ..
- Ribas R, Taylor J, McCorquodale C, Maurício A, Sousa M, Wilmut I. Effect of zona pellucida removal on DNA methylation in early mouse embryos. Biol Reprod. 2006;74:307-13 pubmed..Similarly, no differences were found regarding the onset of transcription of Dnmt1s, Nanog, and Fgf4 genes...
- Kim K, Thurston A, Mummery C, Ward van Oostwaard D, Priddle H, Allegrucci C, et al. Gene-specific vulnerability to imprinting variability in human embryonic stem cell lines. Genome Res. 2007;17:1731-42 pubmed..We conclude the prudence of including comprehensive imprinting analysis in the continued characterization of human embryonic stem cell lines. ..