Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on dna damage in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: dna damage
Publications359 found, 100 shown here
- Schlacher K, Cox M, Woodgate R, Goodman M. RecA acts in trans to allow replication of damaged DNA by DNA polymerase V. Nature. 2006;442:883-7 pubmed
- Li H, Cai X, Shouse G, Piluso L, Liu X. A specific PP2A regulatory subunit, B56gamma, mediates DNA damage-induced dephosphorylation of p53 at Thr55. EMBO J. 2007;26:402-11 pubmed..These results suggest a molecular mechanism for B56gamma-mediated tumor suppression and provide a potential route for regulation of B56gamma-specific PP2A complex function. ..
- Dhanasekaran M, Tharakan B, Manyam B. Antiparkinson drug--Mucuna pruriens shows antioxidant and metal chelating activity. Phytother Res. 2008;22:6-11 pubmed..In addition, the drug appears to be therapeutically safe in the treatment of patients with Parkinson's disease...
- Sitko J, Yeh B, Kim M, Zhou H, Takaesu G, Yoshimura A, et al. SOCS3 regulates p21 expression and cell cycle arrest in response to DNA damage. Cell Signal. 2008;20:2221-30 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest a novel function for SOCS3 in the control of genome stability by negatively regulating STAT3-dependent radioresistant DNA synthesis, and promoting p53-dependent p21 expression. ..
- Jiang Y, Wang Y, Wang Y. In vitro replication and repair studies of tandem lesions containing neighboring thymidine glycol and 8-oxo-7,8-dihydro-2'-deoxyguanosine. Chem Res Toxicol. 2009;22:574-83 pubmed publisher..These results supported the notion that the replication and repair of tandem single-nucleobase lesions depend on the types of lesions involved and their spatial arrangement. ..
- LaGory E, Sitailo L, Denning M. The protein kinase Cdelta catalytic fragment is critical for maintenance of the G2/M DNA damage checkpoint. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:1879-87 pubmed publisher..The function of PKCdelta in the DNA damage-induced G(2)/M cell cycle checkpoint may be a critical component of its tumor suppressor function. ..
- Dong L, Wen J, Pier E, Zhang X, Zhang B, Dong F, et al. Melanocyte-stimulating hormone directly enhances UV-Induced DNA repair in keratinocytes by a xeroderma pigmentosum group A-dependent mechanism. Cancer Res. 2010;70:3547-56 pubmed publisher..Together, our findings reveal a novel pigmentation-independent mechanism that underlies MSH-mediated DNA repair following UVB irradiation. ..
- Sanders S, Arida A, Phan F. Requirement for the phospho-H2AX binding module of Crb2 in double-strand break targeting and checkpoint activation. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:4722-31 pubmed publisher..These observations argue that binding of the Crb2 BRCT repeats to pH2AX is critical for checkpoint activity and provide new insight into the mechanisms of chromatin-mediated genome stability. ..
- Xing Y, Xiong W, Zhu L, Osawa E, Hussin S, Dai L. DNA damage in embryonic stem cells caused by nanodiamonds. ACS Nano. 2011;5:2376-84 pubmed publisher..These findings should have important implications for future applications of NDs in biological applications. ..
- Ha K, Fiskus W, Rao R, Balusu R, Venkannagari S, Nalabothula N, et al. Hsp90 inhibitor-mediated disruption of chaperone association of ATR with hsp90 sensitizes cancer cells to DNA damage. Mol Cancer Ther. 2011;10:1194-206 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that ATR is a bona fide hsp90 client protein and post-IR administration of AUY922, by inhibiting ATR-CHK1-mediated DDR, sensitizes cancer cells to IR. ..
- Searle J, Wood M, Kaur M, Tobin D, Sanchez Y. Proteins in the nutrient-sensing and DNA damage checkpoint pathways cooperate to restrain mitotic progression following DNA damage. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002176 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that there is cross-talk between the DNA damage checkpoint and the proteins that integrate nutrient and stress signals to regulate PKA. ..
- Hunt P, Marquis B, Tyner K, Conklin S, Olejnik N, Nelson B, et al. Nanosilver suppresses growth and induces oxidative damage to DNA in Caenorhabditis elegans. J Appl Toxicol. 2013;33:1131-42 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that medium-throughput growth screening and DNA damage analysis along with morphology assessments in C. elegans could together provide powerful tools for rapid toxicity screening of nanomaterials. ..
- Aiyer H, Kichambare S, Gupta R. Prevention of oxidative DNA damage by bioactive berry components. Nutr Cancer. 2008;60 Suppl 1:36-42 pubmed publisher..EA was the most efficacious (90%), followed by extracts of red raspberry (70%), blueberry, and strawberry (50% each; P< 0.001). ..
- O Reilly M, Staversky R, Watkins R, Reed C, de Mesy Jensen K, Finkelstein J, et al. The cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p21 protects the lung from oxidative stress. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2001;24:703-10 pubmed..Our findings have implications for patients suffering from the toxic effects of supplemental oxygen therapies. ..
- Smalle J, Kurepa J, Yang P, Emborg T, Babiychuk E, Kushnir S, et al. The pleiotropic role of the 26S proteasome subunit RPN10 in Arabidopsis growth and development supports a substrate-specific function in abscisic acid signaling. Plant Cell. 2003;15:965-80 pubmed..A particularly important role may be in regulating the responses to signals promulgated by ABA. ..
- Kunapuli P, Somerville R, Still I, Cowell J. ZNF198 protein, involved in rearrangement in myeloproliferative disease, forms complexes with the DNA repair-associated HHR6A/6B and RAD18 proteins. Oncogene. 2003;22:3417-23 pubmed..These observations support the idea that ZNF198, through its interaction with HHR6 and RAD18, may be involved in the DNA repair process. ..
- Ionov Y, Matsui S, Cowell J. A role for p300/CREB binding protein genes in promoting cancer progression in colon cancer cell lines with microsatellite instability. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:1273-8 pubmed..These observations suggest that there is a selective growth/survival advantage to mutational inactivation of p300/CBP in cells with inactivated mismatch repair capabilities. ..
- Nakada D, Hirano Y, Sugimoto K. Requirement of the Mre11 complex and exonuclease 1 for activation of the Mec1 signaling pathway. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:10016-25 pubmed..Our results provide a model in which the Mre11 complex and Exo1 cooperate in generating long ssDNA tracts and thereby facilitate Mec1 association with sites of DNA damage or replication block. ..
- Andrew A, Burgess J, Meza M, Demidenko E, Waugh M, Hamilton J, et al. Arsenic exposure is associated with decreased DNA repair in vitro and in individuals exposed to drinking water arsenic. Environ Health Perspect. 2006;114:1193-8 pubmed
- Kumar S, Lamarche B, Tsai M. Use of damaged DNA and dNTP substrates by the error-prone DNA polymerase X from African swine fever virus. Biochemistry. 2007;46:3814-25 pubmed..Our findings are discussed in light of ASFV biology and the mutagenic DNA repair hypothesis described above. ..
- Lehmann B, Brooks A, Paine M, Chappell W, McCubrey J, Terrian D. Distinct roles for p107 and p130 in Rb-independent cellular senescence. Cell Cycle. 2008;7:1262-8 pubmed
- Ma W, Ma C, Hsu C, Wu M, Wu C, Wu C, et al. Androgen receptor is a new potential therapeutic target for the treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma. Gastroenterology. 2008;135:947-55, 955.e1-5 pubmed publisher..Our data point to AR, but not androgens, as a potential new and better therapeutic target for the battle of HCC. ..
- Tope A, Rogers P. Evaluation of protective effects of sulforaphane on DNA damage caused by exposure to low levels of pesticide mixture using comet assay. J Environ Sci Health B. 2009;44:657-62 pubmed publisher..However, it is not clear whether SFN is involved in quenching of the free radicals generated by the pesticide mixture or it is involved in DNA repair mechanism. ..
- Spencer W, Jeyabalan J, Kichambre S, Gupta R. Oxidatively generated DNA damage after Cu(II) catalysis of dopamine and related catecholamine neurotransmitters and neurotoxins: Role of reactive oxygen species. Free Radic Biol Med. 2011;50:139-47 pubmed publisher..Because dietary ellagic acid has been found to reduce oxidative stress in rat brains, a neuroprotective role of this polyphenol is plausible. ..
- Wang Y, Scheiber M, Neumann C, Calin G, Zhou D. MicroRNA regulation of ionizing radiation-induced premature senescence. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011;81:839-48 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that SA-miRNAs are involved in the regulation of IR-induced senescence, so targeting these miRNAs may be a novel approach for modulating cellular response to radiation exposure. ..
- Pabla N, Ma Z, McIlhatton M, Fishel R, Dong Z. hMSH2 recruits ATR to DNA damage sites for activation during DNA damage-induced apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:10411-8 pubmed publisher..Together the results support a hMSH2-dependent pathway of ATR activation and downstream Chk2/p53 signaling. ..
- Meng Z, Capalbo L, Glover D, Dunphy W. Role for casein kinase 1 in the phosphorylation of Claspin on critical residues necessary for the activation of Chk1. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:2834-47 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that CK1?1 is a novel component of checkpoint responses that controls the interaction of a key checkpoint effector kinase with its cognate mediator protein. ..
- Wang Y, Huang J, Li M, Cavenee W, Mitchell P, Zhou X, et al. MicroRNA-138 modulates DNA damage response by repressing histone H2AX expression. Mol Cancer Res. 2011;9:1100-11 pubmed publisher..Our study suggests that miR-138 is an important regulator of genomic stability and a potential therapeutic agent to improve the efficacy of radiotherapy and chemotherapy with DNA-damaging agents. ..
- Nardozzi J, Wang X, Mbantenkhu M, Wilkens S, Chen X. A properly configured ring structure is critical for the function of the mitochondrial DNA recombination protein, Mgm101. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:37259-68 pubmed publisher..We discuss a potential role of Cys-216 and Cys-217 in regulating Mgm101 function and the repair of damaged mtDNA under stress conditions. ..
- Turner S, Hoyt A, Elmallah M, Falk D, Byrne B, Fuller D. Neuropathology in respiratory-related motoneurons in young Pompe (Gaa(-/-)) mice. Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2016;227:48-55 pubmed publisher..The data support early therapeutic intervention in Pompe disease. ..
- Reynolds J, Bicknell L, Carroll P, Higgs M, Shaheen R, Murray J, et al. Mutations in DONSON disrupt replication fork stability and cause microcephalic dwarfism. Nat Genet. 2017;49:537-549 pubmed publisher..In summary, we have identified mutations in DONSON as a common cause of microcephalic dwarfism and established DONSON as a critical replication fork protein required for mammalian DNA replication and genome stability. ..
- Evans H, Nielsen M, Mencl J, Horng M, Ricanati M. The effect of dose rate on X-radiation-induced mutant frequency and the nature of DNA lesions in mouse lymphoma L5178Y cells. Radiat Res. 1990;122:316-25 pubmed..The reason for these apparently conflicting results concerning the effect of DNA repair on the induction of extended lesions is under investigation. ..
- Ferrante R, Browne S, Shinobu L, Bowling A, Baik M, MacGarvey U, et al. Evidence of increased oxidative damage in both sporadic and familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. J Neurochem. 1997;69:2064-74 pubmed..These studies therefore provide further evidence that oxidative damage may play a role in the pathogenesis of neuronal degeneration in both SALS and FALS. ..
- Warren A, Maccubbin A, Hamilton J. Detection of mitomycin C-DNA adducts in vivo by 32P-postlabeling: time course for formation and removal of adducts and biochemical modulation. Cancer Res. 1998;58:453-61 pubmed..Surprisingly, none of these pretreatments had a significant effect on individual or total adducts with the exception of dexamethasone, which caused an almost 2-fold proportional increase in all four adducts in the liver. ..
- Purmal A, Lampman G, Bond J, Hatahet Z, Wallace S. Enzymatic processing of uracil glycol, a major oxidative product of DNA cytosine. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:10026-35 pubmed..The steady state kinetic parameters indicated that Ug was a better substrate for endo III and formamidopyrimidine DNA glycosylase than Tg; for endonuclease VIII, however, Tg was a better substrate. ..
- Nunez M, Holmquist G, Barton J. Evidence for DNA charge transport in the nucleus. Biochemistry. 2001;40:12465-71 pubmed..These observations require consideration in designing new chemotherapeutics and in understanding cellular mechanisms for DNA damage and repair. ..
- Sablina A, Chumakov P, Kopnin B. Tumor suppressor p53 and its homologue p73alpha affect cell migration. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:27362-71 pubmed..The identified novel activity of the p53 family members might be involved in regulation of embryogenesis, wound healing, or inflammatory response. ..
- Chang S, Poser S, Xia Z. A novel role for serum response factor in neuronal survival. J Neurosci. 2004;24:2277-85 pubmed..Our data provide a direct demonstration of a biological function of SRF in neurons and a novel downstream neuroprotective mechanism common to both ERK1/2 and PI3K pathways. ..
- Agarwal A, Allamaneni S. Role of free radicals in female reproductive diseases and assisted reproduction. Reprod Biomed Online. 2004;9:338-47 pubmed..Research is in progress to identify the mechanisms that are involved in the aetiology of female reproductive diseases caused by ROS, and to create effective strategies that can counteract oxidative stress. ..
- Tumey L, Bom D, Huck B, Gleason E, Wang J, Silver D, et al. The identification and optimization of a N-hydroxy urea series of flap endonuclease 1 inhibitors. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2005;15:277-81 pubmed..To our knowledge, these are the most potent endonuclease inhibitors reported to date. ..
- Bentle M, Reinicke K, Bey E, Spitz D, Boothman D. Calcium-dependent modulation of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 alters cellular metabolism and DNA repair. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:33684-96 pubmed..Thus, Ca(2+) appears to be an important co-factor in PARP-1 hyperactivation after ROS-induced DNA damage, which alters cellular metabolism and DNA repair. ..
- Barton V, Donson A, Kleinschmidt DeMasters B, Gore L, Liu A, Foreman N. PARP1 expression in pediatric central nervous system tumors. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2009;53:1227-30 pubmed publisher..0053). PARP1 protein was also prominent in high-grade tumors (P = 0.022). These findings indicate that PARP1 is expressed in high-grade pediatric CNS tumors, implicating PARP1 inhibition as a potential therapeutic target. ..
- Wang Z, Coleman D, Bajaj G, Liang X, Ganguli Indra G, INDRA A. RXR? ablation in epidermal keratinocytes enhances UVR-induced DNA damage, apoptosis, and proliferation of keratinocytes and melanocytes. J Invest Dermatol. 2011;131:177-87 pubmed publisher..Considered together, the results of our study suggest that RXR antagonists, together with inhibitors of cell proliferation, can be effective in preventing solar UVR-induced photocarcinogenesis...
- Nemec A, Wallace S, Sweasy J. Variant base excision repair proteins: contributors to genomic instability. Semin Cancer Biol. 2010;20:320-8 pubmed publisher..Mutations that arise in key growth control genes, imbalances in chromosome number, chromosomal translocations, and loss of heterozygosity can result in the initiation of human cancer or its progression. ..
- Ge Z, Wang H, Parthun M. Nuclear Hat1p complex (NuB4) components participate in DNA repair-linked chromatin reassembly. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:16790-9 pubmed publisher..Our data directly demonstrate the role of the nuclear HAT1 complex (NuB4) components in DNA repair-linked chromatin reassembly. ..
- Chen J, Bozza W, Zhuang Z. Ubiquitination of PCNA and its essential role in eukaryotic translesion synthesis. Cell Biochem Biophys. 2011;60:47-60 pubmed publisher..Lastly, new methods of preparing ubiquitinated PCNA will be reviewed. The availability of milligram levels of ubiquitinated PCNA will help our understanding of the molecular details in eukaryotic TLS. ..
- Lu H, Cui W, Klaassen C. Nrf2 protects against 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin (TCDD)-induced oxidative injury and steatohepatitis. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2011;256:122-35 pubmed publisher..The aggravated hepatosteatosis in TCDD-treated Nrf2-null mice is due to increased lipogenesis in liver and impaired lipogenesis in white adipose tissue. ..
- Liu J, Wu K, Lu Y, Ekuase E, Klaassen C. Nrf2 protection against liver injury produced by various hepatotoxicants. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2013;2013:305861 pubmed publisher..The Nrf2-mediated protection is accompanied by induction of antioxidant genes, suppression of inflammatory responses, and attenuation of oxidative stress. ..
- Keller D, Zeng X, Wang Y, Zhang Q, Kapoor M, Shu H, et al. A DNA damage-induced p53 serine 392 kinase complex contains CK2, hSpt16, and SSRP1. Mol Cell. 2001;7:283-92 pubmed..In addition, phosphorylation by the kinase complex enhances p53 activity. These results thus provide a potential mechanism for p53 activation by UV irradiation. ..
- Baynes J. From life to death--the struggle between chemistry and biology during aging: the Maillard reaction as an amplifier of genomic damage. Biogerontology. 2000;1:235-46 pubmed..Future studies should focus on evaluation of the effects of these inhibitors on genomic damage and lifespan extension. ..
- Liu K, Lin F, Ruppert J, Lin W. Regulation of E2F1 by BRCT domain-containing protein TopBP1. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:3287-304 pubmed
- Vega L, Mateyak M, Zakian V. Getting to the end: telomerase access in yeast and humans. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2003;4:948-59 pubmed
- Young S, Setlow P. Mechanisms of killing of Bacillus subtilis spores by Decon and Oxone, two general decontaminants for biological agents. J Appl Microbiol. 2004;96:289-301 pubmed..Spore killing by both agents renders spores defective in germination, possibly because of damage to the inner membrane of spore. These results provide information on the mechanisms of the killing of bacterial spores by Decon and Oxone. ..
- Li W, Kim S, Lee J, Dunphy W. Absence of BLM leads to accumulation of chromosomal DNA breaks during both unperturbed and disrupted S phases. J Cell Biol. 2004;165:801-12 pubmed..The occurrence of DNA damage in the absence of Xblm, even without any exogenous insult to the DNA, may help to explain the genesis of chromosomal defects in BS cells. ..
- Qin S, Parthun M. Recruitment of the type B histone acetyltransferase Hat1p to chromatin is linked to DNA double-strand breaks. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:3649-58 pubmed..These results indicate that Hat1p plays a direct role in DNA damage repair and is responsible for specific changes in histone modification that occur during the course of recombinational DNA repair. ..
- Fiala K, Suo Z. Sloppy bypass of an abasic lesion catalyzed by a Y-family DNA polymerase. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:8199-206 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that an abasic lesion causes Dpo4 and possibly all Y-family members to switch from a normal to a very mutagenic mode of replication...
- Mandaokar A, Browse J. MYB108 acts together with MYB24 to regulate jasmonate-mediated stamen maturation in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2009;149:851-62 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results indicate that MYB108 and MYB24 have overlapping functions and act downstream of MYB21 in a transcriptional cascade that mediates stamen and pollen maturation in response to jasmonate. ..
- Eastmond D, Hartwig A, Anderson D, Anwar W, Cimino M, Dobrev I, et al. Mutagenicity testing for chemical risk assessment: update of the WHO/IPCS Harmonized Scheme. Mutagenesis. 2009;24:341-9 pubmed publisher..The approach presented in this paper focuses on the identification of mutagens and genotoxic carcinogens. Selection of appropriate in vitro and in vivo tests as well as a strategy for germ cell testing are described. ..
- Ng K, Ebrahem Q, Negrotto S, Mahfouz R, Link K, Hu Z, et al. p53 independent epigenetic-differentiation treatment in xenotransplant models of acute myeloid leukemia. Leukemia. 2011;25:1739-50 pubmed publisher..Modifying in vivo dose and schedule to emphasize this pathway of decitabine action can bypass a mechanism of resistance to standard therapy. ..
- Duirk S, Lindell C, Cornelison C, Kormos J, Ternes T, Attene Ramos M, et al. Formation of toxic iodinated disinfection by-products from compounds used in medical imaging. Environ Sci Technol. 2011;45:6845-54 pubmed publisher..Therefore, while ICM are not toxic in themselves, their presence in source waters may be a source of concern because of the formation of highly toxic iodo-DBPs in chlorinated and chloraminated drinking water...
- Nowsheen S, Bonner J, LoBuglio A, Trummell H, Whitley A, Dobelbower M, et al. Cetuximab augments cytotoxicity with poly (adp-ribose) polymerase inhibition in head and neck cancer. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24148 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, this strategy may also be feasible for other EGFR overexpressing tumors, including lung and brain cancers. ..
- Sun Y, Campisi J, Higano C, Beer T, Porter P, Coleman I, et al. Treatment-induced damage to the tumor microenvironment promotes prostate cancer therapy resistance through WNT16B. Nat Med. 2012;18:1359-68 pubmed..These results delineate a mechanism by which genotoxic therapies given in a cyclical manner can enhance subsequent treatment resistance through cell nonautonomous effects that are contributed by the tumor microenvironment. ..
- Zhang A, Zhou N, Huang J, Liu Q, Fukuda K, Ma D, et al. The human long non-coding RNA-RoR is a p53 repressor in response to DNA damage. Cell Res. 2013;23:340-50 pubmed publisher..Together, these results suggest that the RoR-hnRNP I-p53 axis may constitute an additional surveillance network for the cell to better respond to various stresses. ..
- Mitchell J, Byers N, Friesen P. Baculovirus F-box protein LEF-7 modifies the host DNA damage response to enhance virus multiplication. J Virol. 2013;87:12592-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, our findings indicate that baculoviruses utilize a unique strategy among viruses for hijacking the host DDR by using a newly recognized F-box protein...
- Park J, Shin M, Pitot H, Lambert P. High incidence of HPV-associated head and neck cancers in FA deficient mice is associated with E7's induction of DNA damage through its inactivation of pocket proteins. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e75056 pubmed publisher..Our results further demonstrate the unexpected finding that FA deficiency does not predispose E6 transgenic mice to HNCs, indicating a specificity in the synergy between FA deficiency and HPV oncogenes in causing HNCs...
- Islam M, Thomas S, Murty V, Sedoris K, Miller D. c-Myc quadruplex-forming sequence Pu-27 induces extensive damage in both telomeric and nontelomeric regions of DNA. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:8521-31 pubmed publisher..First, Pu-27 induces DNA damage within both telomeric and nontelomeric regions of the genome. Second, Pu-27-mediated telomeric damage is due, at least in part, to compromise of the telomeric shelterin protein complex. ..
- Han X, Tang J, Wang J, Ren F, Zheng J, Gragg M, et al. Conformational Change of Human Checkpoint Kinase 1 (Chk1) Induced by DNA Damage. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:12951-9 pubmed publisher..These data provide significant insight into the mechanisms of Chk1 activation during the DNA damage response. ..
- Studzinski G, Reddy K, Hill H, Bhandal A. Potentiation of 1-beta-D-arabinofuranosylcytosine cytotoxicity to HL-60 cells by 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 correlates with reduced rate of maturation of DNA replication intermediates. Cancer Res. 1991;51:3451-5 pubmed
- Paulovich A, Margulies R, Garvik B, Hartwell L. RAD9, RAD17, and RAD24 are required for S phase regulation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae in response to DNA damage. Genetics. 1997;145:45-62 pubmed
- Elasri M, Miller R. Study of the response of a biofilm bacterial community to UV radiation. Appl Environ Microbiol. 1999;65:2025-31 pubmed..However, in the presence of photosensitizers (i.e., psoralen), UV A was effective in inducing light production and cell death. RM4440 has proved to be a useful tool to study microbial communities in a noninvasive manner. ..
- Adamec E, Vonsattel J, Nixon R. DNA strand breaks in Alzheimer's disease. Brain Res. 1999;849:67-77 pubmed..The results indicate high incidence of nuclei with either double-stranded or single-stranded DNA breaks in AD, which, for the forms detectable with the Klenow or TUNEL assays, were colocalized. ..
- Tang M, Pham P, Shen X, Taylor J, O Donnell M, Woodgate R, et al. Roles of E. coli DNA polymerases IV and V in lesion-targeted and untargeted SOS mutagenesis. Nature. 2000;404:1014-8 pubmed..Lesion bypass by pol V does not require beta,gamma-complex in the presence of non-hydrolysable ATPgammaS, indicating that an intact RecA filament may be required for translesion synthesis. ..
- Dong J, Drohat A, Stivers J, Pankiewicz K, Carey P. Raman spectroscopy of uracil DNA glycosylase-DNA complexes: insights into DNA damage recognition and catalysis. Biochemistry. 2000;39:13241-50 pubmed..These observations are generally not apparent from the high-resolution crystal structures of UDG and its complexes with DNA; thus, Raman spectroscopy can provide unique and valuable insights into the nature of enzyme-DNA interactions. ..
- Arthanari H, Wojtuszewski K, Mukerji I, Bolton P. Effects of HU binding on the equilibrium cyclization of mismatched, curved, and normal DNA. Biophys J. 2004;86:1625-31 pubmed..These results have been considered along with those previously obtained to refine a model for the interaction of HU with duplex DNA. ..
- Yang S, Chintapalli J, Sodagum L, Baskin S, Malhotra A, Reiss K, et al. Activated IGF-1R inhibits hyperglycemia-induced DNA damage and promotes DNA repair by homologous recombination. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2005;289:F1144-52 pubmed..We conclude that the activated IGF-1R rescues mesangial cells from hyperglycemia-induced danger signals that target genomic DNA by suppressing ROS and enhancing DNA repair by HRR. ..
- Shouse G, Cai X, Liu X. Serine 15 phosphorylation of p53 directs its interaction with B56gamma and the tumor suppressor activity of B56gamma-specific protein phosphatase 2A. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:448-56 pubmed..We also show an important link between ATM activity and the tumor-suppressive function of B56gamma-PP2A. ..
- Zhang Q, Eaton L, Snyder E, Houghtaling S, Mitchell J, Finegold M, et al. Tempol protects against oxidative damage and delays epithelial tumor onset in Fanconi anemia mice. Cancer Res. 2008;68:1601-8 pubmed publisher..The reduction in oxidative DNA damage in tempol-treated FA fibroblasts and mice suggests that its tumor-delaying function may be attributed to its antioxidant activity. ..
- Niu W, Li Z, Zhan W, Iyer V, Marcotte E. Mechanisms of cell cycle control revealed by a systematic and quantitative overexpression screen in S. cerevisiae. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e1000120 pubmed publisher..This work thus implicates new genes in cell cycle progression, complements previous screens, and lays the foundation for future experiments to define more precisely roles for these genes in cell cycle progression. ..
- Zhang H, Kruk J, Reese J. Dissection of coactivator requirement at RNR3 reveals unexpected contributions from TFIID and SAGA. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:27360-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, we described an unexpected shift in the division of labor between these two complexes and provide the first characterization of a gene that requires both SAGA and TFIID. ..
- Agarwal A, Desai N, Makker K, Varghese A, Mouradi R, Sabanegh E, et al. Effects of radiofrequency electromagnetic waves (RF-EMW) from cellular phones on human ejaculated semen: an in vitro pilot study. Fertil Steril. 2009;92:1318-25 pubmed publisher..We speculate that keeping the cell phone in a trouser pocket in talk mode may negatively affect spermatozoa and impair male fertility. ..
- Li J, Liu Z, Tan C, Guo X, Wang L, Sancar A, et al. Dynamics and mechanism of repair of ultraviolet-induced (6-4) photoproduct by photolyase. Nature. 2010;466:887-890 pubmed publisher..These key dynamics define the repair photocycle and explain the underlying molecular mechanism of the enzyme's modest efficiency. ..
- Zhao H, Chen X, Gurian West M, Roberts J. Loss of cyclin-dependent kinase 2 (CDK2) inhibitory phosphorylation in a CDK2AF knock-in mouse causes misregulation of DNA replication and centrosome duplication. Mol Cell Biol. 2012;32:1421-32 pubmed publisher..This led to the discovery of two previously unrecognized pathways that control the activity of cyclin A at the G(1) DNA damage checkpoint and may thereby prevent S-phase entry even when cyclin E-CDK2 activity is deregulated. ..
- Qin B, Gao B, Yu J, Yuan J, Lou Z. Ataxia telangiectasia-mutated- and Rad3-related protein regulates the DNA damage-induced G2/M checkpoint through the Aurora A cofactor Bora protein. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:16139-44 pubmed publisher..The degradation of Bora compromises Plk1 activation and contributes to DNA damage-induced G2 arrest. These findings shed new light on Plk1 regulation by the DNA damage response pathway. ..
- Hassel C, Zhang B, Dixon M, Calvi B. Induction of endocycles represses apoptosis independently of differentiation and predisposes cells to genome instability. Development. 2014;141:112-23 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal an unanticipated link between endocycles and the repression of apoptosis, with broader implications for how endocycles may contribute to genome instability and oncogenesis. ..