Experts and Doctors on dizziness in United States
Locale: United States
- DeVon H, Ryan C, Ochs A, Shapiro M. Symptoms across the continuum of acute coronary syndromes: differences between women and men. Am J Crit Care. 2008;17:14-24; quiz 25 pubmed..Women with acute coronary syndromes reported a higher intensity of 5 symptoms (but not chest pain) than men reported. Whether differences between the sexes in less typical symptoms are clinically significant remains unclear. ..
- Benyamin R, Trescot A, Datta S, Buenaventura R, Adlaka R, Sehgal N, et al. Opioid complications and side effects. Pain Physician. 2008;11:S105-20 pubmed..Opioids can be considered broad spectrum analgesic agents, affecting a wide number of organ systems and influencing a large number of body functions. ..
- Walia R, Steffen R, Feinberg L, Worley S, Mahajan L. Tolerability, safety, and efficacy of PEG 3350 as a 1-day bowel preparation in children. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2013;56:225-8 pubmed publisher..Intubation of the ileum was successful in 100%. One-day bowel preparation with high dose PEG 3350 mixed with commercial electrolyte solution is tolerable, safe, and effective in children before colonoscopy. ..
- Gidal B, Ferry J, Majid O, Hussein Z. Concentration-effect relationships with perampanel in patients with pharmacoresistant partial-onset seizures. Epilepsia. 2013;54:1490-7 pubmed publisher..Understanding these relationships between perampanel plasma concentration and clinical response will be valuable in utilizing this novel AED. ..
- Torkildsen G, O Brien T. Conjunctival tissue pharmacokinetic properties of topical azithromycin 1% and moxifloxacin 0.5% ophthalmic solutions: a single-dose, randomized, open-label, active-controlled trial in healthy adult volunteers. Clin Ther. 2008;30:2005-14 pubmed publisher..Both treatments were well tolerated in the population studied. Clinical Trials Identification Number: NCT00564447. ..
- Wackym P, Wood S, Siker D, Carter D. Otic capsule dehiscence syndrome: Superior semicircular canal dehiscence syndrome with no radiographically visible dehiscence. Ear Nose Throat J. 2015;94:E8-E24 pubmed..Links to three other videos of interest are contained in citations 10, 11, and 24. ..
- Tysome J, Padgham N. A comparative study of patient satisfaction with day case and in-patient major ear surgery. J Laryngol Otol. 2006;120:670-5 pubmed..05). Patient satisfaction following day case major ear surgery is as good as that following in-patient surgery. This has supported the expansion of this service in our unit. ..
- Hall C, Herdman S. Reliability of clinical measures used to assess patients with peripheral vestibular disorders. J Neurol Phys Ther. 2006;30:74-81 pubmed..Incorporation of valid and reliable assessments in clinical practice is critical in order to demonstrate the effectiveness of therapeutic intervention. ..
- Girzadas M, Varga P, Dajani K. A single-center experience of detecting coronary anomalies on 64-slice computed tomography. J Cardiovasc Med (Hagerstown). 2009;10:842-7 pubmed publisher..Further study in this area is necessary to better delineate the clinical significance of certain coronary anomalies and the incidence of clinical manifestations associated with each type of anomaly. ..
- Pollock B, Driscoll C, Foote R, Link M, Gorman D, Bauch C, et al. Patient outcomes after vestibular schwannoma management: a prospective comparison of microsurgical resection and stereotactic radiosurgery. Neurosurgery. 2006;59:77-85; discussion 77-85 pubmed..Unless long-term follow-up evaluation shows frequent tumor progression at currently used radiation doses, radiosurgery should be considered the best management strategy for the majority of VS patients. ..
- Wilson T, Cui J, Zhang R, Crandall C. Heat stress reduces cerebral blood velocity and markedly impairs orthostatic tolerance in humans. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2006;291:R1443-8 pubmed..Increases in CVR during whole body heating, coupled with even greater increases in CVR during orthostasis and heat stress, likely contribute to orthostatic intolerance. ..
- Blight A, Henney H. Pharmacokinetics of 14C-radioactivity after oral intake of a single dose of 14C-labeled fampridine (4-aminopyridine) in healthy volunteers. Clin Ther. 2009;31:328-35 pubmed publisher..Fampridine administered as an oral solution was rapidly absorbed and was nearly completely and rapidly eliminated as unchanged drug via urinary excretion, suggesting that it is unlikely to undergo substantial metabolic transformation. ..
- Heidenreich K, Weisend S, Fouad Tarazi F, White J. The incidence of coexistent autonomic and vestibular dysfunction in patients with postural dizziness. Am J Otolaryngol. 2009;30:225-9 pubmed publisher..872). There is no difference in the rate of postural orthostatic intolerance in subjects with evidence of caloric weakness compared with those with normal caloric function. ..
- Badke M, Pyle G, Shea T, Miedaner J. Outcomes in vestibular ablative procedures. Otol Neurotol. 2002;23:504-9 pubmed..Preoperative vestibular SOT score is highly associated with the emotional, physical, and functional domains of perceived handicap and quality of life after the surgery. ..
- O Reilly R, Morlet T, Nicholas B, Josephson G, Horlbeck D, Lundy L, et al. Prevalence of vestibular and balance disorders in children. Otol Neurotol. 2010;31:1441-4 pubmed publisher..Significant associations exist between sensorineural hearing loss, syncope, and headache in children diagnosed with balance disorders. ..
- Ndetan H, Hawk C, Sekhon V, Chiusano M. The Role of Chiropractic Care in the Treatment of Dizziness or Balance Disorders: Analysis of National Health Interview Survey Data. J Evid Based Complementary Altern Med. 2016;21:138-42 pubmed publisher..5 (95% CI, 7.92-11.40) for respondents reporting head or neck trauma; and 13.78 (95% CI, 5.59-33.99) for those reporting neurological or muscular conditions as the cause of their balance or dizziness. ..
- Arbogast S, Alshekhlee A, Hussain Z, McNeeley K, Chelimsky T. Hypotension unawareness in profound orthostatic hypotension. Am J Med. 2009;122:574-80 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that they might not provide adequate information in diagnosing profound orthostatic hypotension in a subset of patients with this disorder. ..
- Staab J. The influence of anxiety on ocular motor control and gaze. Curr Opin Neurol. 2014;27:118-24 pubmed publisher..Anxiety-related gaze diversion may increase gait instability in patients with FoF. Anxiety affects ocular motor reflexes and gaze control in ways that may contribute to clinically significant visual and visual-vestibular syndromes. ..
- Danilov Y, Tyler M, Skinner K, Hogle R, Bach y Rita P. Efficacy of electrotactile vestibular substitution in patients with peripheral and central vestibular loss. J Vestib Res. 2007;17:119-30 pubmed..Nonetheless, after training with the BrainPort balance device, all subjects demonstrated significant improvements in performance beyond what might be expected from conventional vestibular rehabilitation therapy. ..
- Mayuga K, Butters K, Fouad Tarazi F. Early versus late postural tachycardia: a re-evaluation of a syndrome. Clin Auton Res. 2008;18:155-7 pubmed publisher..Hypokinetic circulation, older age, and ACE-inhibitor or Angiotensin-Receptor Blockers were associated with "Late" POTS (after 10 minutes of tilt) versus "Early" POTS (within 10 minutes of tilt). ..
- Faraone S, Glatt S. Effects of extended-release guanfacine on ADHD symptoms and sedation-related adverse events in children with ADHD. J Atten Disord. 2010;13:532-8 pubmed publisher..5% for placebo-treated participants across the three trials. These results suggest that acclimation to GXR may minimize the risk for, and magnitude of, sedation-related AEs. (J. of Att. Dis. 2010; 13(5) 532-538). ..
- Perloff M, Patel N, Kase C, Oza A, Voetsch B, Romero J. Cerebellar stroke presenting with isolated dizziness: Brain MRI in 136 patients. Am J Emerg Med. 2017;35:1724-1729 pubmed publisher..Though there was preselection bias for stroke risk factors, our study suggests an important proportion of cerebellar stroke among ED patients with isolated dizziness, considering how common this complaint is. ..
- Neff B, Staab J, Eggers S, Carlson M, Schmitt W, Van Abel K, et al. Auditory and vestibular symptoms and chronic subjective dizziness in patients with Ménière's disease, vestibular migraine, and Ménière's disease with concomitant vestibular migraine. Otol Neurotol. 2012;33:1235-44 pubmed publisher..To compare presentations of Ménière's disease (MD), vestibular migraine (VM), and Ménière's disease plus vestibular migraine (MDVM), with and without comorbid chronic subjective dizziness (CSD)...
- Gray Miceli D, Ratcliffe S, Liu S, Wantland D, Johnson J. Orthostatic hypotension in older nursing home residents who fall: are they dizzy?. Clin Nurs Res. 2012;21:64-78 pubmed publisher..We conclude, older residents did not report symptoms of dizziness prior to OH drops in blood pressure and falls. Further study is warranted to identify other predictive symptoms of OH and to evaluate nursing staff's understanding of OH. ..
- Tavassolie T, Penninger R, Zuñiga M, Minor L, Carey J. Multislice computed tomography in the diagnosis of superior canal dehiscence: how much error, and how to minimize it?. Otol Neurotol. 2012;33:215-22 pubmed publisher..A threshold of the radiodensity of the bone over the superior semicircular canal may exist that could optimize prediction of an actual SSCD...
- Barin K, Dodson E. Dizziness in the elderly. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2011;44:437-54, x pubmed publisher..Issues related to the management of these symptoms in the aging population are also considered...
- Polensek S, Tusa R, Sterk C. The challenges of managing vestibular disorders: a qualitative study of clinicians' experiences associated with low referral rates for vestibular rehabilitation. Int J Clin Pract. 2009;63:1604-12 pubmed publisher..To explore clinicians' perspectives influencing the under-diagnosis and management of patients with vestibular impairment (VI)...
- Blatt P, Schubert M, Roach K, Tusa R. The reliability of the Vestibular Autorotation Test (VAT) in patients with dizziness. J Neurol Phys Ther. 2008;32:70-9 pubmed publisher..To establish intrarater and interrater reliability of the Vestibular Autorotation Test (VAT) (Western Systems Research Inc., Pasadena, CA) in a clinical sample of individuals reporting dizziness...
- Newton H, Padilla W, Burkart J, Pearl D. Neurological manifestations of decompression illness in recreational divers - the Cozumel experience. Undersea Hyperb Med. 2007;34:349-57 pubmed..001). Neurological manifestations are common in recreational divers treated for DCI. Neurological DCI and paresthesias are more likely to occur in younger and less experienced divers...
- Ishkanian G, Blumenthal H, Webster C, Richardson M, Ames M. Efficacy of sumatriptan tablets in migraineurs self-described or physician-diagnosed as having sinus headache: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Clin Ther. 2007;29:99-109 pubmed..Sumatriptan 50-mg tablets were effective and generally well tolerated in the treatment of these patients presenting with migraine headaches that were self-described or physician-diagnosed as sinus headaches. ..
- Foye P, Najar M, Camme A A, Stitik T, DePrince M, Nadler S, et al. Pain, dizziness, and central nervous system blood flow in cervical extension: vascular correlations to beauty parlor stroke syndrome and salon sink radiculopathy. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2002;81:395-9 pubmed
- Horak F, Jones Rycewicz C, Black F, Shumway Cook A. Effects of vestibular rehabilitation on dizziness and imbalance. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1992;106:175-80 pubmed..This study takes the first step toward determining the efficacy of a specific exercise approach for reducing dizziness and imbalance in patients with chronic peripheral vestibular disorders. ..