Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on developmental gene expression regulation in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: developmental gene expression regulation
Publications330 found, 100 shown here
- Fischer A, Wang S, Reh T. NeuroD induces the expression of visinin and calretinin by proliferating cells derived from toxin-damaged chicken retina. Dev Dyn. 2004;229:555-63 pubmed..We conclude that NeuroD stimulates cells from the toxin-damaged chicken retina to acquire some neuronal phenotypes. We propose that most of these cells were derived from Müller glia. ..
- Livi C, Davidson E. Regulation of spblimp1/krox1a, an alternatively transcribed isoform expressed in midgut and hindgut of the sea urchin gastrula. Gene Expr Patterns. 2007;7:1-7 pubmed..Its sequence contains binding sites for Brn1/2/4, Otx, and Blimp1/Krox itself, as predicted in a prior regulatory network analysis. ..
- Raff R, Byrne M. The active evolutionary lives of echinoderm larvae. Heredity (Edinb). 2006;97:244-52 pubmed
- Eroglu B, Wang G, Tu N, Sun X, Mivechi N. Critical role of Brg1 member of the SWI/SNF chromatin remodeling complex during neurogenesis and neural crest induction in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:2722-35 pubmed..This is exhibited by the aberrant brain patterning, a reduction in the sensory neurons, and craniofacial defects. These results further elucidate the critical role for Brg1 in neurogenesis, neural crest induction, and differentiation. ..
- Xu L, Renaud L, Muller J, Baicu C, Bonnema D, Zhou H, et al. Regulation of Ncx1 expression. Identification of regulatory elements mediating cardiac-specific expression and up-regulation. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:34430-40 pubmed..This work is the first in vivo study that demonstrates which cis elements are important for Ncx1 regulation. ..
- Bender L, Suh J, Carroll C, Fong Y, Fingerman I, Briggs S, et al. MES-4: an autosome-associated histone methyltransferase that participates in silencing the X chromosomes in the C. elegans germ line. Development. 2006;133:3907-17 pubmed..We discuss how an autosomally associated HMT may participate in silencing genes on the X chromosome, in coordination with the direct silencing effects of the other MES proteins. ..
- Koury S, Yarlagadda S, Moskalik Liermo K, Popli N, Kim N, Apolito C, et al. Differential gene expression during terminal erythroid differentiation. Genomics. 2007;90:574-82 pubmed..We have thus identified three genes not previously described as being expressed in erythroblasts that could be relevant in elucidating mechanisms involved in terminal erythroid differentiation. ..
- Von Ohlen T, Syu L, Mellerick D. Conserved properties of the Drosophila homeodomain protein, Ind. Mech Dev. 2007;124:925-34 pubmed..Taken together, these results point to conserved mechanisms used by Gsh/Ind-type homeodomain protein in regulating the expression of target genes. ..
- BEMBENEK J, Richie C, Squirrell J, Campbell J, Eliceiri K, Poteryaev D, et al. Cortical granule exocytosis in C. elegans is regulated by cell cycle components including separase. Development. 2007;134:3837-48 pubmed..These observations lead us to speculate that SEP-1 has two separable yet coordinated functions: to regulate cortical granule exocytosis and to mediate chromosome separation. ..
- Candela H, Johnston R, Gerhold A, Foster T, Hake S. The milkweed pod1 gene encodes a KANADI protein that is required for abaxial/adaxial patterning in maize leaves. Plant Cell. 2008;20:2073-87 pubmed publisher..The phenotype of mwp1; Rld1 double mutants shows that both genes are also required early in leaf development to delineate leaf margins as well as to initiate vascular and photosynthetic tissues...
- Pruett N, Visconti R, Jacobs D, Scholz D, McQuinn T, Sundberg J, et al. Evidence for Hox-specified positional identities in adult vasculature. BMC Dev Biol. 2008;8:93 pubmed publisher..Finally, these mice are a resource for the isolation and phenotypic characterization of specific subpopulations of vascular cells marked by distinct Hox expression profiles. ..
- Baugh L, Demodena J, Sternberg P. RNA Pol II accumulates at promoters of growth genes during developmental arrest. Science. 2009;324:92-4 pubmed publisher..Therefore, accumulation of Pol II at promoters anticipates nutritionally controlled gene expression during C. elegans development. ..
- Sharma M, Brantley J, Vassmer D, Chaturvedi G, Baas J, Vanden Heuvel G. The homeodomain protein Cux1 interacts with Grg4 to repress p27 kip1 expression during kidney development. Gene. 2009;439:87-94 pubmed publisher..5 kb from the transcriptional start site. Taken together, these results identify Grg4 as an interacting partner for Cux1 and suggest a mechanism of p27(kip1) repression by Cux1 during kidney development. ..
- Paulus J, Willer G, Willer J, Gregg R, Halloran M. Muscle contractions guide rohon-beard peripheral sensory axons. J Neurosci. 2009;29:13190-201 pubmed publisher..This work suggests that the mechanical forces generated by muscle contractions are necessary for proper sensory axon pathfinding in vivo. ..
- Liu C, Maejima T, Wyler S, Casadesus G, Herlitze S, Deneris E. Pet-1 is required across different stages of life to regulate serotonergic function. Nat Neurosci. 2010;13:1190-8 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that Pet-1 is required across the lifespan of the mouse and that behavioral pathogenesis can result from both developmental and adult-onset alterations in serotonergic transcription. ..
- Wang D, Kirchhamer C, Britten R, Davidson E. SpZ12-1, a negative regulator required for spatial control of the territory-specific CyIIIa gene in the sea urchin embryo. Development. 1995;121:1111-22 pubmed..CAT in skeletogenic mesenchyme and is likely to be the trans factor that mediates this repression...
- Das S, Das N, Wang J, Lim H, Schryver B, Plowman G, et al. Expression of betacellulin and epiregulin genes in the mouse uterus temporally by the blastocyst solely at the site of its apposition is coincident with the "window" of implantation. Dev Biol. 1997;190:178-90 pubmed..These results provide evidence that expression of betacellulin and epiregulin in the uterus requires the presence of an active blastocyst and suggest an involvement of these growth factors in the process of implantation. ..
- Buzby J, Brewer G, Nugent D. Developmental regulation of RNA transcript destabilization by A + U-rich elements is AUF1-dependent. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:33973-8 pubmed..Finally, accelerated ARE-dependent decay of the GM-CSF 3'-UTR in vitro by neonatal MNC protein is significantly attenuated by immunodepletion of AUF1, providing new evidence that this accelerated turnover is ARE- and AUF1-dependent. ..
- Fitzakerley J, Star K, Rinn J, Elmquist B. Expression of Shal potassium channel subunits in the adult and developing cochlear nucleus of the mouse. Hear Res. 2000;147:31-45 pubmed
- Brown J, Hallagan S, McGrew L, Miller J, Moon R. The maternal Xenopus beta-catenin signaling pathway, activated by frizzled homologs, induces goosecoid in a cell non-autonomous manner. Dev Growth Differ. 2000;42:347-57 pubmed..These data demonstrate that maternal Frizzleds can activate the Wnt/beta-catenin pathway in Xenopus embryos, and that induction of a known downstream gene can occur in a cell non-autonomous manner. ..
- Wittkopp P, Vaccaro K, Carroll S. Evolution of yellow gene regulation and pigmentation in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2002;12:1547-56 pubmed..These changes were likely necessary for the divergence of pigmentation, but evolutionary changes in other genes were also required...
- Greene R, Nugent P, Mukhopadhyay P, Warner D, Pisano M. Intracellular dynamics of Smad-mediated TGFbeta signaling. J Cell Physiol. 2003;197:261-71 pubmed..Collectively, these data point to the presence of a functional Smad-mediated TGFbeta signaling system in cells of the developing murine palate. ..
- Maves L, Schubiger G. Transdetermination in Drosophila imaginal discs: a model for understanding pluripotency and selector gene maintenance. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2003;13:472-9 pubmed..An important future goal is to address how signaling pathways interact with chromatin structure to regulate and maintain the proper expression of selector genes. ..
- Drissi M, Li X, Sheu T, Zuscik M, Schwarz E, Puzas J, et al. Runx2/Cbfa1 stimulation by retinoic acid is potentiated by BMP2 signaling through interaction with Smad1 on the collagen X promoter in chondrocytes. J Cell Biochem. 2003;90:1287-98 pubmed..Factors or signals that alter either of these transcription factors regulate the rate of chondrocyte differentiation. ..
- Bai S, Ghoshal K, Datta J, Majumder S, Yoon S, Jacob S. DNA methyltransferase 3b regulates nerve growth factor-induced differentiation of PC12 cells by recruiting histone deacetylase 2. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:751-66 pubmed..These data indicate a novel role of Dnmt3b in neuronal differentiation. ..
- Park S, Zheng Z, Oppenheimer D, Hauser B. The PRETTY FEW SEEDS2 gene encodes an Arabidopsis homeodomain protein that regulates ovule development. Development. 2005;132:841-9 pubmed..PFS2 activity altered AGAMOUS expression, which accounts for some of the gain- and loss-of-function phenotypes. Based on analyses presented here, PFS2 affects either ovule patterning or differentiation. ..
- Goentoro L, Yakoby N, Goodhouse J, Schupbach T, Shvartsman S. Quantitative analysis of the GAL4/UAS system in Drosophila oogenesis. Genesis. 2006;44:66-74 pubmed..The imaging-based strategy described here can be used to quantify other GAL4 drivers in Drosophila and other organisms. ..
- Ben Tabou de Leon S, Davidson E. Deciphering the underlying mechanism of specification and differentiation: the sea urchin gene regulatory network. Sci STKE. 2006;2006:pe47 pubmed..It demonstrates how the static physical genomic components define functional connections between the various regulatory genes that act together to conduct the dynamical developmental program. ..
- Eacker S, Shima J, Connolly C, Sharma M, Holdcraft R, Griswold M, et al. Transcriptional profiling of androgen receptor (AR) mutants suggests instructive and permissive roles of AR signaling in germ cell development. Mol Endocrinol. 2007;21:895-907 pubmed..The transcripts affected by these Ar mutations encode a diverse array of proteins whose molecular functions support the contention that AR supports spermatogenesis in both a permissive and instructive fashion. ..
- Bonds M, Sands J, Poulson W, Harvey C, Von Ohlen T. Genetic screen for regulators of ind expression identifies shrew as encoding a novel twisted gastrulation-like protein involved in Dpp signaling. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:3524-31 pubmed..These two deficiencies are also allelic with shrew mutations. Here, we present data supporting the conclusion that CG11582 is the gene affected in shrew mutants. ..
- Lucey M, Wang Y, Bustin M, Duncan M. Differential expression of the HMGN family of chromatin proteins during ocular development. Gene Expr Patterns. 2008;8:433-7 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that the HMGN class of chromatin proteins has a dynamic expression pattern in the developing eye. ..
- See A, Clagett Dame M. The temporal requirement for vitamin A in the developing eye: mechanism of action in optic fissure closure and new roles for the vitamin in regulating cell proliferation and adhesion in the embryonic retina. Dev Biol. 2009;325:94-105 pubmed publisher..Reduction of retinal cell number combined with a loss of the normal cell-cell adhesion proteins may contribute to the collapse and folding of the retina that occurs in late VAD fetuses...
- Yu X, He F, Zhang T, Espinoza Lewis R, Lin L, Yang J, et al. Cerberus functions as a BMP agonist to synergistically induce nodal expression during left-right axis determination in the chick embryo. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:3613-23 pubmed publisher..Because cCer is expressed restrictedly in the left LPM, BMPs and cCer appear to act synergistically to activate Nodal expression in the left LPM in the chick. ..
- Matagne V, Mastronardi C, Shapiro R, Dorsa D, Ojeda S. Hypothalamic expression of Eap1 is not directly controlled by ovarian steroids. Endocrinology. 2009;150:1870-8 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that hypothalamic Eap1 expression is not directly controlled by ovarian steroids and suggest that Eap1 expression increases at puberty driven by ovary-independent, centrally initiated events. ..
- Westberry J, Trout A, Wilson M. Epigenetic regulation of estrogen receptor alpha gene expression in the mouse cortex during early postnatal development. Endocrinology. 2010;151:731-40 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that methylation of ER alpha promoters regulates ER alpha mRNA expression in the cortex during postnatal development in a MeCP2-dependent fashion. ..
- Chen L, Chatterjee M, Li J. The mouse homeobox gene Gbx2 is required for the development of cholinergic interneurons in the striatum. J Neurosci. 2010;30:14824-34 pubmed publisher..Together, our data demonstrate that Gbx2 is required for the development of striatal cholinergic interneurons, perhaps by regulating tangential migration of the striatal cholinergic precursors...
- Parks A, Turner F, Muskavitch M. Relationships between complex Delta expression and the specification of retinal cell fates during Drosophila eye development. Mech Dev. 1995;50:201-16 pubmed..Localization of Delta protein in Dl and shibire tsl mutants implies that Delta is targeted to the cell surface, but is efficiently removed via endocytosis, resulting in vesicular accumulation. ..
- McCormick M, Tamimi R, Snider L, Asakura A, Bergstrom D, Tapscott S. NeuroD2 and neuroD3: distinct expression patterns and transcriptional activation potentials within the neuroD gene family. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:5792-800 pubmed..The noncongruent expression pattern and target gene specificity of these highly related neurogenic bHLH proteins make them candidates for conferring specific aspects of the neuronal phenotype. ..
- Schumacher A, Magnuson T. Murine Polycomb- and trithorax-group genes regulate homeotic pathways and beyond. Trends Genet. 1997;13:167-70 pubmed
- Ferkowicz M, Stander M, Raff R. Phylogenetic relationships and developmental expression of three sea urchin Wnt genes. Mol Biol Evol. 1998;15:809-19 pubmed publisher..These data support the view that sea urchin Wnt genes exhibit many conserved aspects and at least three orthologs are developmentally regulated in both indirect- and direct-developing sea urchin embryos...
- MacLennan A, Devlin B, Marks L, Gaskin A, Neitzel K, Lee N. Antisense studies in PC12 cells suggest a role for H218, a sphingosine 1-phosphate receptor, in growth-factor-induced cell-cell interaction and neurite outgrowth. Dev Neurosci. 2000;22:283-95 pubmed..Finally, and in agreement with a S1P receptor role for H218, we find that the antisense-H218 cells display less S1P-induced neurite retraction than control cells. ..
- Enigk R, Maimone M. Cellular and molecular properties of alpha-dystrobrevin in skeletal muscle. Front Biosci. 2001;6:D53-64 pubmed..In this review, we summarize the currently known cellular and molecular properties of alpha-dystrobrevin in skeletal muscle and discuss its potential functions at both the sarcolemma and neuromuscular junction. ..
- Andreasen E, Spitsbergen J, Tanguay R, Stegeman J, Heideman W, Peterson R. Tissue-specific expression of AHR2, ARNT2, and CYP1A in zebrafish embryos and larvae: effects of developmental stage and 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin exposure. Toxicol Sci. 2002;68:403-19 pubmed..However, TCDD-induced zfCYP1A expression was not detected in these tissues. Taken together, these results are consistent with the notion that the cardiovascular system is a primary target of TCDD developmental toxicity in zebrafish. ..
- Xi R, McGregor J, Harrison D. A gradient of JAK pathway activity patterns the anterior-posterior axis of the follicular epithelium. Dev Cell. 2003;4:167-77 pubmed..We propose that Upd secreted from the polar cells may act as a morphogen to stimulate A/P-derived follicular fates through JAK pathway activation. ..
- Kirouac M, Sternberg P. cis-Regulatory control of three cell fate-specific genes in vulval organogenesis of Caenorhabditis elegans and C. briggsae. Dev Biol. 2003;257:85-103 pubmed..By using the cis-regulatory analysis and phylogenetic footprinting, we have identified overrepresented sequences involved in conferring vulval and AC expression. ..
- Massa P, Wu C, Fecenko Tacka K. Dysmyelination and reduced myelin basic protein gene expression by oligodendrocytes of SHP-1-deficient mice. J Neurosci Res. 2004;77:15-25 pubmed..We propose that SHP-1 is a critical regulator of developmental signals leading to terminal differentiation and myelin sheath formation by oligodendrocytes. ..
- McCabe K, McGuire C, Reh T. Pea3 expression is regulated by FGF signaling in developing retina. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:327-35 pubmed..These results suggest that FGF signaling via MAPK up-regulates transcription factors that in turn control retinal ganglion cell differentiation. ..
- Weil T, Forrest K, Gavis E. Localization of bicoid mRNA in late oocytes is maintained by continual active transport. Dev Cell. 2006;11:251-62 pubmed..Furthermore, our results indicate that association of bicoid with the anterior oocyte cortex is dynamic and support a model for maintenance of bicoid localization by continual active transport on microtubules. ..
- McGannon P, Miyazaki Y, Gupta P, Traboulsi E, Colmenares C. Ocular abnormalities in mice lacking the Ski proto-oncogene. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2006;47:4231-7 pubmed..This study involved a novel mouse model of PHPV, generated by a null mutation of the Ski proto-oncogene, that displays other anterior segment and retinal malformations often found in human cases of PHPV...
- Zhang W, Feng D, Li Y, Iida K, McGrath B, Cavener D. PERK EIF2AK3 control of pancreatic beta cell differentiation and proliferation is required for postnatal glucose homeostasis. Cell Metab. 2006;4:491-7 pubmed
- Hackney J, Pucci C, Naes E, Dobens L. Ras signaling modulates activity of the ecdysone receptor EcR during cell migration in the Drosophila ovary. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:1213-26 pubmed..Our results indicate that tissue-specific modulation of EcR activity by the Ras signaling pathway refines temporal ecdysone signals that regulate FC differentiation and cadherin-mediated epithelial cell shape changes. ..
- Materna S, Davidson E. Logic of gene regulatory networks. Curr Opin Biotechnol. 2007;18:351-4 pubmed..The regulatory events in this process can be represented as elementary logic functions. ..
- Shippy T, Ronshaugen M, Cande J, He J, Beeman R, Levine M, et al. Analysis of the Tribolium homeotic complex: insights into mechanisms constraining insect Hox clusters. Dev Genes Evol. 2008;218:127-39 pubmed publisher..This work lays a foundation for future studies of the Tribolium HOMC that may provide insights into the reasons for Hox cluster conservation...
- Lu J, Dentler W, Lundquist E. FLI-1 Flightless-1 and LET-60 Ras control germ line morphogenesis in C. elegans. BMC Dev Biol. 2008;8:54 pubmed publisher..FLI-1 controls germ line morphogenesis and rachis organization, a process about which little is known at the molecular level. The LET-60 Ras GTPase might act with FLI-1 to control germ line morphogenesis. ..
- Gu S, Wei N, Yu L, Fei J, Chen Y. Shox2-deficiency leads to dysplasia and ankylosis of the temporomandibular joint in mice. Mech Dev. 2008;125:729-42 pubmed publisher..Shox2 appears to regulate the expression of osteogenic genes and is essential for the development and function of the TMJ. The Shox2 conditional mutant thus provides a unique animal model of TMJ ankylosis. ..
- Smith M, Turner F, Raff R. Nodal expression and heterochrony in the evolution of dorsal-ventral and left-right axes formation in the direct-developing sea urchin Heliocidaris erythrogramma. J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol. 2008;310:609-22 pubmed publisher..These highly modified events are linked to the dramatic modifications of larval morphology that have occurred during the evolution of direct development in H. erythrogramma...
- Brown L, Brown S. Zic2 is expressed in pluripotent cells in the blastocyst and adult brain expression overlaps with makers of neurogenesis. Gene Expr Patterns. 2009;9:43-9 pubmed publisher..The presence of Zic2 in pluripotent cells of the embryo as well as in dividing neural cells in the adult suggests that this transcription factor may have a role in maintaining pluripotency. ..
- Mao W, Yan R, Wang S. Proneural gene ash1 promotes amacrine cell production in the chick retina. Dev Neurobiol. 2009;69:88-104 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that ash1 promotes the production of amacrine cells and thus may participate in a regulatory network governing neural diversity in the chick retina. ..
- Taft A, Vermeire J, Bernier J, Birkeland S, Cipriano M, Papa A, et al. Transcriptome analysis of Schistosoma mansoni larval development using serial analysis of gene expression (SAGE). Parasitology. 2009;136:469-85 pubmed publisher..In addition, 53 and 45 tags, respectively, were differentially expressed in 6-day and 20-day cultured sporocysts, due to the effects of exposure to Bge cell-conditioned medium...
- Cheng Y, Wu W, Kumar S, Yu D, Deng W, Tripic T, et al. Erythroid GATA1 function revealed by genome-wide analysis of transcription factor occupancy, histone modifications, and mRNA expression. Genome Res. 2009;19:2172-84 pubmed publisher..More broadly, these studies illustrate how a "master regulator" transcription factor coordinates tissue differentiation through a panoply of DNA and protein interactions...
- Reddy G. Cloning and characterization of a Plasmodium falciparum cyclophilin gene that is stage-specifically expressed. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 1995;73:111-21 pubmed..Essentially, there was no difference between the two strains for the concentration of CsA required to yield 50% inhibition in 48 h of exposure (0.25-0.4 microM). ..
- Hassan B, Vaessin H. Daughterless is required for the expression of cell cycle genes in peripheral nervous system precursors of Drosophila embryos. Dev Genet. 1997;21:117-22 pubmed..This suggests that all aspects of PNS precursor differentiation examined so far are under the transcriptional control of da. ..
- Leiserson W, Benzer S, Bonini N. Dual functions of the Drosophila eyes absent gene in the eye and embryo. Mech Dev. 1998;73:193-202 pubmed..These data indicate a specific requirement for eya function in eye progenitor cells that is normally fulfilled by both transcripts. ..
- Snider L, Thirlwell H, Miller J, Moon R, Groudine M, Tapscott S. Inhibition of Tcf3 binding by I-mfa domain proteins. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:1866-73 pubmed..I-mfa domain proteins can regulate both the Wnt signaling pathway and a subset of bHLH proteins, possibly coordinating the activities of these two critical developmental pathways. ..
- Lu C, Han M, Guevara Garcia A, Fedoroff N. Mitogen-activated protein kinase signaling in postgermination arrest of development by abscisic acid. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:15812-7 pubmed..Making use of the ABA-hypersensitive hyl1 mutant of Arabidopsis, we show that the ABA signal is transmitted to the transcriptional apparatus through mitogen-activated protein kinase signaling. ..
- Holtz R, Choi J, Petroff M, Piskurich J, Murphy S. Class II transactivator (CIITA) promoter methylation does not correlate with silencing of CIITA transcription in trophoblasts. Biol Reprod. 2003;69:915-24 pubmed..The fact that CIITA is expressed in the stable hybrids implies that trophoblasts may be missing a factor that regulates chromatin structure at the CIITA promoter. ..
- Noh Y, Amasino R. PIE1, an ISWI family gene, is required for FLC activation and floral repression in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 2003;15:1671-82 pubmed..PIE1 also plays a role in petal development, as revealed by the suppression of petal defects of the curly leaf mutant by the pie1 mutation. ..
- Witt C, Hurez V, Swindle C, Hamada Y, Klug C. Activated Notch2 potentiates CD8 lineage maturation and promotes the selective development of B1 B cells. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:8637-50 pubmed..This study implicates a role for Notch2 in the maturation of the CD8 lineage and suggests a novel function for Notch2 in the development of the B1 B-cell subset. ..
- Barletta F, Dhawan P, Christakos S. Integration of hormone signaling in the regulation of human 25(OH)D3 24-hydroxylase transcription. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2004;286:E598-608 pubmed
- Mason D, Mathe E, Fleming R, Goldfarb D. The Drosophila melanogaster importin alpha3 locus encodes an essential gene required for the development of both larval and adult tissues. Genetics. 2003;165:1943-58 pubmed..These results are consistent with the view that the importin alpha's have both overlapping and distinct functions and that their role in animal development involves the spatial and temporal control of their expression. ..
- Song Y, Golling G, Thacker T, Cone R. Agouti-related protein (AGRP) is conserved and regulated by metabolic state in the zebrafish, Danio rerio. Endocrine. 2003;22:257-65 pubmed
- Barr M. Caenorhabditis elegans as a model to study renal development and disease: sexy cilia. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2005;16:305-12 pubmed..The goal of this review is to explain how C. elegans has provided insight into cilia development, cilia function, and human cystic kidney diseases. ..
- Deshpande G, Calhoun G, Schedl P. Drosophila argonaute-2 is required early in embryogenesis for the assembly of centric/centromeric heterochromatin, nuclear division, nuclear migration, and germ-cell formation. Genes Dev. 2005;19:1680-5 pubmed..The aberrations in the nuclear division cycle are correlated with defects in the formation of centric/centromeric heterochromatin and point to a failure in the assembly of functional centromeres. ..
- Zhu X, Sen J, Stevens L, Goltz J, Stein D. Drosophila pipe protein activity in the ovary and the embryonic salivary gland does not require heparan sulfate glycosaminoglycans. Development. 2005;132:3813-22 pubmed..Taken together, our data provide evidence that Pipe acts as a sulfotransferase, but argue against the hypothesis that the target of Pipe is a heparan sulfate glycosaminoglycan. ..
- Lyman Gingerich J, Westfall T, Slusarski D, Pelegri F. hecate, a zebrafish maternal effect gene, affects dorsal organizer induction and intracellular calcium transient frequency. Dev Biol. 2005;286:427-39 pubmed
- Minokawa T, Wikramanayake A, Davidson E. cis-Regulatory inputs of the wnt8 gene in the sea urchin endomesoderm network. Dev Biol. 2005;288:545-58 pubmed..In a second regulatory region, which initiates expression in micromere and macromere descendant cells early in cleavage, Tcf1 sites act to repress ectopic transcription in prospective ectoderm cells...
- Monteiro A, Glaser G, Stockslager S, Glansdorp N, Ramos D. Comparative insights into questions of lepidopteran wing pattern homology. BMC Dev Biol. 2006;6:52 pubmed..Eyespots with concentric rings may have co-opted a wound healing genetic network during their evolution. ..
- Fischer A, Stanke J, Ghai K, Scott M, Omar G. Development of bullwhip neurons in the embryonic chicken retina. J Comp Neurol. 2007;503:538-49 pubmed..We conclude that cells fated to become bullwhip neurons are generated long before they begin to differentiate and that their survival depends on the orientation of their primary neurite. ..
- Yin Z, Williams Simons L, Rawahneh L, Asa S, Kirschner L. Development of a pituitary-specific cre line targeted to the Pit-1 lineage. Genesis. 2008;46:37-42 pubmed publisher..The rGhrhr-cre line will be a valuable tool for the study of the development of the pituitary Pit1 lineage and for the study of tumorigenesis involving these cells. ..
- Shiau C, Lwigale P, Das R, Wilson S, Bronner Fraser M. Robo2-Slit1 dependent cell-cell interactions mediate assembly of the trigeminal ganglion. Nat Neurosci. 2008;11:269-76 pubmed publisher..The resultant disorganization mimics the effects of neural crest ablation. Thus, our data reveal a novel and essential role for Robo2-Slit1 signaling in mediating neural crest-placode interactions during trigeminal gangliogenesis. ..
- Park G, Pan S, Borkovich K. Mitogen-activated protein kinase cascade required for regulation of development and secondary metabolism in Neurospora crassa. Eukaryot Cell. 2008;7:2113-22 pubmed publisher..Tyrosinase is an enzyme that catalyzes production of the secondary metabolite l-DOPA melanin. These results implicate the MAK-1 pathway in regulation of development and secondary metabolism in filamentous fungi. ..
- Miller S, Huang A, Miazgowicz M, Brassil M, Weinmann A. Coordinated but physically separable interaction with H3K27-demethylase and H3K4-methyltransferase activities are required for T-box protein-mediated activation of developmental gene expression. Genes Dev. 2008;22:2980-93 pubmed publisher..These novel mechanisms for T-box-mediated epigenetic regulation are essential, because point mutations that disrupt these interactions are found in a diverse array of human developmental genetic diseases. ..
- Mienaltowski M, Huang L, Stromberg A, MacLeod J. Differential gene expression associated with postnatal equine articular cartilage maturation. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2008;9:149 pubmed publisher..Expression patterns in mature articular cartilage indicate a transition from growth to homeostasis, and tissue function related to withstanding shear and weight-bearing stresses. ..
- Seifert A, Yamaguchi T, Cohn M. Functional and phylogenetic analysis shows that Fgf8 is a marker of genital induction in mammals but is not required for external genital development. Development. 2009;136:2643-51 pubmed publisher..We propose that induction of external genitalia involves an epithelial-epithelial interaction at the cloacal membrane, and suggest that the cloacal ectoderm may be the source of the genital initiation signal...
- Hu C, Chandra R, Ge H, Pain J, Yan L, Babu G, et al. Adenylyl cyclase type 5 protein expression during cardiac development and stress. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2009;297:H1776-82 pubmed publisher..Thus this new AC5 antibody demonstrated that this AC isoform behaves similarly to fetal type genes, such as atrial natriuretic peptide; i.e., it declines with development and increases with pressure-overload hypertrophy...
- MARTINEZ DE LUNA R, Moose H, Kelly L, Nekkalapudi S, El Hodiri H. Regulation of retinal homeobox gene transcription by cooperative activity among cis-elements. Gene. 2010;467:13-24 pubmed publisher..Finally, a putative binding element for forkhead transcription factors is necessary for promoter activity and can cooperate with other cis-acting elements to drive Rax2A promoter activity. ..
- Yuh C, Ransick A, Martinez P, Britten R, Davidson E. Complexity and organization of DNA-protein interactions in the 5'-regulatory region of an endoderm-specific marker gene in the sea urchin embryo. Mech Dev. 1994;47:165-86 pubmed..The high complexity of the Endo16 gene regulatory system may be characteristic for genes that are spatially regulated in early embryonic development. ..