Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on cytoskeleton in Israel
- Spira M, Oren R, Dormann A, Ilouz N, Lev S. Calcium, protease activation, and cytoskeleton remodeling underlie growth cone formation and neuronal regeneration. Cell Mol Neurobiol. 2001;21:591-604 pubmed..The restructuring of the actin and microtubule network leads to local accumulation of transported vesicles, which then fuse with the plasma membrane in support of the GC expansion. ..
- Winograd Katz S, Brunner M, Mirlas N, Geiger B. Analysis of the signaling pathways regulating Src-dependent remodeling of the actin cytoskeleton. Eur J Cell Biol. 2011;90:143-56 pubmed publisher..Our work points to several genes that are involved in this process, and sheds new light on the molecular plasticity of integrin adhesions. ..
- Salman H, Abu Arish A, Oliel S, Loyter A, Klafter J, Granek R, et al. Nuclear localization signal peptides induce molecular delivery along microtubules. Biophys J. 2005;89:2134-45 pubmed..In the intact cell, where microtubules project radially from the centrosome, such an interaction would effectively deliver nuclear-targeted cargo to the nuclear envelope in preparation for import. ..
- Turgay Y, Eibauer M, Goldman A, Shimi T, Khayat M, Ben Harush K, et al. The molecular architecture of lamins in somatic cells. Nature. 2017;543:261-264 pubmed publisher..Our findings define the architecture of the nuclear lamin meshworks at molecular resolution, providing insights into their role in scaffolding the nuclear lamina. ..
- Luxenburg C, Geblinger D, Klein E, Anderson K, Hanein D, Geiger B, et al. The architecture of the adhesive apparatus of cultured osteoclasts: from podosome formation to sealing zone assembly. PLoS ONE. 2007;2:e179 pubmed..Through this continuous structure, signals reporting on the substrate condition may be transmitted to the whole cell, modulating the cell response under physiological and pathological conditions. ..
- Gazit E. Use of biomolecular templates for the fabrication of metal nanowires. FEBS J. 2007;274:317-22 pubmed..The potential technological applications of these hybrid biological-inorganic assemblies will be discussed. ..
- Tamir A, Sorrentino S, Motahedeh S, Shai E, Dubrovsky A, Dahan I, et al. The macromolecular architecture of platelet-derived microparticles. J Struct Biol. 2016;193:181-187 pubmed publisher..These results provide the first insights into the native molecular organization of PMPs. ..
- Lavelin I, Geiger B. Characterization of a novel GTPase-activating protein associated with focal adhesions and the actin cytoskeleton. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:7178-85 pubmed..The overall physiological functions of RC-GAP72 are presently unknown, yet our data suggest that RC-GAP72 plays a role in regulating cell morphology and cytoskeletal organization. ..
- Aronov S, Gelin Licht R, Zipor G, Haim L, Safran E, Gerst J. mRNAs encoding polarity and exocytosis factors are cotransported with the cortical endoplasmic reticulum to the incipient bud in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:3441-55 pubmed..Bud-localized mRNAs, including ASH1, were found to cofractionate with ER microsomes in a She2- and Sec3-dependent manner; thus, asymmetric mRNA transport and cortical ER inheritance are connected processes in yeast. ..
- Kabaso D, Shlomovitz R, Auth T, Lew V, Gov N. Curling and local shape changes of red blood cell membranes driven by cytoskeletal reorganization. Biophys J. 2010;99:808-16 pubmed publisher..The implications of these results in terms of RBC membrane dynamics under physiological, pathological, and experimental conditions is discussed. ..
- Gladnikoff M, Shimoni E, Gov N, Rousso I. Retroviral assembly and budding occur through an actin-driven mechanism. Biophys J. 2009;97:2419-28 pubmed publisher..The results of this study show that retroviruses utilize the cell cytoskeleton to expedite their assembly and budding. ..
- Alon R, Feigelson S, Manevich E, Rose D, Schmitz J, Overby D, et al. Alpha4beta1-dependent adhesion strengthening under mechanical strain is regulated by paxillin association with the alpha4-cytoplasmic domain. J Cell Biol. 2005;171:1073-84 pubmed
- Philosoph Hadas S, Friedman H, Meir S, Berkovitz SimanTov R, Rosenberger I, Halevy A, et al. Gravitropism in cut flower stalks of snapdragon. Adv Space Res. 2001;27:921-32 pubmed..Therefore, modulators of these two physiological mediators may serve as means for controlling any undesired gravitropic bending...
- Amsalem S, Bakrhat A, Otani T, Hayashi S, Goldstein B, Abdu U. Drosophila oocyte polarity and cytoskeleton organization require regulation of Ik2 activity by Spn-F and Javelin-like. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:4371-80 pubmed publisher..In summary, our results demonstrate that Spn-F mediates the interaction between Ik2 and Jvl to control Ik2 activity. ..
- Fridman K, Mader A, Zwerger M, Elia N, Medalia O. Advances in tomography: probing the molecular architecture of cells. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2012;13:736-42 pubmed publisher..Thus, cryo-ET may bridge the resolution gap between cellular and structural biology...
- Dubin Bar D, Bitan A, Bakhrat A, Amsalem S, Abdu U. Drosophila javelin-like encodes a novel microtubule-associated protein and is required for mRNA localization during oogenesis. Development. 2011;138:4661-71 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results show that we have identified a novel MT-associated protein that affects mRNA localization in the oocyte by regulating MT organization. ..
- Mader A, Elad N, Medalia O. Cryoelectron tomography of eukaryotic cells. Methods Enzymol. 2010;483:245-65 pubmed publisher..Here, we review the application of cryo-ET to the study of eukaryotic cells, with special emphasis on sample preparation, cytoskeleton organization, and macromolecular structures observed at a resolution of 4-6 nm...
- Shamri R, Grabovsky V, Feigelson S, Dwir O, van Kooyk Y, Alon R. Chemokine stimulation of lymphocyte alpha 4 integrin avidity but not of leukocyte function-associated antigen-1 avidity to endothelial ligands under shear flow requires cholesterol membrane rafts. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:40027-35 pubmed..Our results provide the first evidence that a particular chemokine/GPCR pair can activate different integrins on the same cell using distinct G(i) protein-associated machineries segregated within defined membrane compartments. ..
- Yao Z, Seger R. The ERK signaling cascade--views from different subcellular compartments. Biofactors. 2009;35:407-16 pubmed publisher..In this review, we discuss the intracellular localizations of different components of the ERK cascade, and the impact of these localizations on their activation and specificity. ..
- Friedman H, Vos J, Hepler P, Meir S, Halevy A, Philosoph Hadas S. The role of actin filaments in the gravitropic response of snapdragon flowering shoots. Planta. 2003;216:1034-42 pubmed..The actin cytoskeleton within the shoot cells is necessary for normal amyloplast displacement upon gravistimulation, which leads to the gravitropic bending...
- Grosheva I, Vittitow J, Goichberg P, Gabelt B, Kaufman P, Borras T, et al. Caldesmon effects on the actin cytoskeleton and cell adhesion in cultured HTM cells. Exp Eye Res. 2006;82:945-58 pubmed..Inducing such changes in the contractility and actin cytoskeleton of HTM cells in glaucomatous eyes in vivo could produce a therapeutically useful increase in outflow facility. ..
- Lev S. The role of the Nir/rdgB protein family in membrane trafficking and cytoskeleton remodeling. Exp Cell Res. 2004;297:1-10 pubmed..Thus, these family members exert a broad spectrum of cellular functions and are involved in multiple cellular processes. The physiological functions of these closely related proteins are described in this review. ..
- Prager Khoutorsky M, Goncharov I, Rabinkov A, Mirelman D, Geiger B, Bershadsky A. Allicin inhibits cell polarization, migration and division via its direct effect on microtubules. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton. 2007;64:321-37 pubmed..Thus, allicin is a potent microtubule-disrupting reagent interfering with tubulin polymerization by reaction with tubulin SH groups. ..
- Dubin Bar D, Bitan A, Bakhrat A, Kaiden Hasson R, Etzion S, Shaanan B, et al. The Drosophila IKK-related kinase (Ik2) and Spindle-F proteins are part of a complex that regulates cytoskeleton organization during oogenesis. BMC Cell Biol. 2008;9:51 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, Ik2 in this complex does not function as a typical IKK in that it does not direct SpnF for degradation following phosphorylation. ..
- Rosin D, Schejter E, Volk T, Shilo B. Apical accumulation of the Drosophila PDGF/VEGF receptor ligands provides a mechanism for triggering localized actin polymerization. Development. 2004;131:1939-48 pubmed..Together, these results suggest that polarized PVR activation is necessary for the proper organization of the wing disc epithelium, by regulating the apical assembly of the actin cytoskeleton...
- Alon R, Ley K. Cells on the run: shear-regulated integrin activation in leukocyte rolling and arrest on endothelial cells. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2008;20:525-32 pubmed publisher..Different leukocyte subsets appear to use different modalities of integrin activation during rolling and arrest at distinct endothelial sites. ..
- Ariel A, Lider O, Brill A, Cahalon L, Savion N, Varon D, et al. Induction of interactions between CD44 and hyaluronic acid by a short exposure of human T cells to diverse pro-inflammatory mediators. Immunology. 2000;100:345-51 pubmed..Thus, cytokines and chemokines present in the vicinities of blood vessel walls or present intravascularly in tissues where immune reactions take place, can rapidly activate the CD44 molecules expressed on T cells. ..
- Feigelson S, Grabovsky V, Manevich Mendelson E, Pasvolsky R, Shulman Z, Shinder V, et al. Kindlin-3 is required for the stabilization of TCR-stimulated LFA-1:ICAM-1 bonds critical for lymphocyte arrest and spreading on dendritic cells. Blood. 2011;117:7042-52 pubmed publisher..We suggest that Kindlin-3 selectively contributes to a final TCR-triggered outside-in stabilization of bonds generated between chemokine-primed LFA-1 molecules and cell-surface ICAM-1. ..
- Tian D, Litvak V, Toledo Rodriguez M, Carmon S, Lev S. Nir2, a novel regulator of cell morphogenesis. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:2650-62 pubmed..These results implicate Nir2 as a novel regulator of the small GTPase Rho in actin cytoskeleton reorganization and cell morphogenesis. ..
- Bialik S, Kimchi A. The death-associated protein kinases: structure, function, and beyond. Annu Rev Biochem. 2006;75:189-210 pubmed..Although many gaps in our knowledge still remain, the data generated to date can be combined to delineate a place for the DAPk family within the general cell death-signaling network. ..
- Shapira S, Bakhrat A, Bitan A, Abdu U. The Drosophila javelin gene encodes a novel actin-associated protein required for actin assembly in the bristle. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:4582-92 pubmed publisher..Thus, we report that Jv is a novel actin-associated protein required for actin assembly during Drosophila bristle development. ..
- Yakir Tamang L, Gerst J. A phosphatidylinositol-transfer protein and phosphatidylinositol-4-phosphate 5-kinase control Cdc42 to regulate the actin cytoskeleton and secretory pathway in yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:3583-97 pubmed publisher..Based upon these findings, we propose that the exocytic signal involves PI delivery to the PI kinases (i.e., Mss4) by Sfh5, generation of PI(4,5)P(2), and PI(4,5)P(2)-dependent regulation of Cdc42 and the actin cytoskeleton. ..
- Shamri R, Grabovsky V, Gauguet J, Feigelson S, Manevich E, Kolanus W, et al. Lymphocyte arrest requires instantaneous induction of an extended LFA-1 conformation mediated by endothelium-bound chemokines. Nat Immunol. 2005;6:497-506 pubmed..These data show that chemokine-triggered lymphocyte adhesiveness involves a previously unrecognized extension step that primes LFA-1 for ligand binding and firm adhesion. ..
- Zamir E, Geiger B. Molecular complexity and dynamics of cell-matrix adhesions. J Cell Sci. 2001;114:3583-90 pubmed..These changes are driven by mechanical force generated by the actin- and myosin-containing contractile machinery of the cells, or by external forces applied to the cells, and regulated by matrix rigidity...
- Flaishon L, Becker Herman S, Hart G, Levo Y, Kuziel W, Shachar I. Expression of the chemokine receptor CCR2 on immature B cells negatively regulates their cytoskeletal rearrangement and migration. Blood. 2004;104:933-41 pubmed..Thus, this study describes an additional, previously uncharacterized, role for CCR2 and its ligand as negative regulators of the homing of immature B cells. ..
- Hart G, Flaishon L, Becker Herman S, Shachar I. Tight regulation of IFN-gamma transcription and secretion in immature and mature B cells by the inhibitory MHC class I receptor, Ly49G2. J Immunol. 2005;175:5034-42 pubmed..This expression pattern insures the inhibitory control of peripheral immature B cell to prevent premature encounter with an Ag while enabling entry to the lymph nodes during the mature stage. ..
- Terenzio M, Schiavo G, Fainzilber M. Compartmentalized Signaling in Neurons: From Cell Biology to Neuroscience. Neuron. 2017;96:667-679 pubmed publisher..Comparisons to other cell types indicate that neurons accentuate widely shared mechanisms, providing invaluable models for the compartmentalization and transfer mechanisms required and used by most eukaryotic cells...
- Tal T, Vaizel Ohayon D, Schejter E. Conserved interactions with cytoskeletal but not signaling elements are an essential aspect of Drosophila WASp function. Dev Biol. 2002;243:260-71 pubmed..In contrast, we find that association with the key signaling molecules CDC42 and PIP2 is not an essential requirement, implying that activation of Wsp function in vivo depends on additional or alternative signaling pathways. ..
- Hart G, Avin Wittenberg T, Shachar I. IL-15 regulates immature B-cell homing in an Ly49D-, IL-12 , and IL-18 dependent manner. Blood. 2008;111:50-9 pubmed..Thus, IL-15 controls immature B-cell homing, resulting in shaping the B-cell repertoire to enable an efficient immune response. ..
- De R, Safran S. Dynamical theory of active cellular response to external stress. Phys Rev E Stat Nonlin Soft Matter Phys. 2008;78:031923 pubmed