Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on cyclooxygenase 1 in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: cyclooxygenase 1
- Howard P, Delafontaine P. Nonsteroidal anti-Inflammatory drugs and cardiovascular risk. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2004;43:519-25 pubmed..Additionally, the impact of combined therapy with aspirin and other COX inhibitors is not yet clear. This article will review the studies that have examined these issues. ..
- Dearth C, Slivka P, Stewart S, Keane T, Tay J, Londono R, et al. Inhibition of COX1/2 alters the host response and reduces ECM scaffold mediated constructive tissue remodeling in a rodent model of skeletal muscle injury. Acta Biomater. 2016;31:50-60 pubmed publisher..Thus, the decision to prescribe NSAIDs to manage the symptoms of inflammation post-ECM scaffold implantation should be carefully considered. ..
- Awad A, Burr A, Fink C. Effect of resveratrol and beta-sitosterol in combination on reactive oxygen species and prostaglandin release by PC-3 cells. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2005;72:219-26 pubmed
- Jacoby R, Cole C, Tutsch K, Newton M, Kelloff G, Hawk E, et al. Chemopreventive efficacy of combined piroxicam and difluoromethylornithine treatment of Apc mutant Min mouse adenomas, and selective toxicity against Apc mutant embryos. Cancer Res. 2000;60:1864-70 pubmed..28:1. Thus, these agents are effective against adenomas that have homozygous mutation of the APC gene and also select against fetuses bearing a heterozygous mutation in the APC gene. ..
- Rimando A, Cuendet M, Desmarchelier C, Mehta R, Pezzuto J, Duke S. Cancer chemopreventive and antioxidant activities of pterostilbene, a naturally occurring analogue of resveratrol. J Agric Food Chem. 2002;50:3453-7 pubmed..8 microM), suggesting antioxidant activity plays an important role in this process. ..
- Siegall C, Liggitt D, Chace D, Mixan B, Sugai J, Davidson T, et al. Characterization of vascular leak syndrome induced by the toxin component of Pseudomonas exotoxin-based immunotoxins and its potential inhibition with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Clin Cancer Res. 1997;3:339-45 pubmed..These results demonstrate that the toxin component of PE-based immunotoxins induce VLS and suggest agents for clinical management of the toxicity. ..
- Xiang B, Zhang G, Guo L, Li X, Morris A, Daugherty A, et al. Platelets protect from septic shock by inhibiting macrophage-dependent inflammation via the cyclooxygenase 1 signalling pathway. Nat Commun. 2013;4:2657 pubmed publisher..Thus, these findings demonstrate a previously unappreciated role for platelets in septic shock and suggest that platelet transfusion may be effective in treating severely septic patients. ..
- Dai M, Shi X. Fibro-vascular coupling in the control of cochlear blood flow. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e20652 pubmed publisher..The findings provide the first evidence that signaling between fibrocytes and vascular cells modulates CBF and is a key mechanism for meeting the cellular metabolic demand of increased sound activity. ..
- Piazza G, Keeton A, Tinsley H, Gary B, Whitt J, Mathew B, et al. A novel sulindac derivative that does not inhibit cyclooxygenases but potently inhibits colon tumor cell growth and induces apoptosis with antitumor activity. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2009;2:572-80 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that SSA has potential safety and efficacy advantages for colon cancer chemoprevention as well as utility for treating malignant disease if combined with chemotherapy. ..
- Banks S, Paudel K, Brogden N, Loftin C, Stinchcomb A. Diclofenac enables prolonged delivery of naltrexone through microneedle-treated skin. Pharm Res. 2011;28:1211-9 pubmed publisher..This may have clinical implications for extending transdermal patch wear time and therefore increasing patient compliance with therapy. ..
- Hinz C, Aldrovandi M, Uhlson C, Marnett L, Longhurst H, Warner T, et al. Human Platelets Utilize Cycloxygenase-1 to Generate Dioxolane A3, a Neutrophil-activating Eicosanoid. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:13448-64 pubmed publisher..In summary, a new neutrophil-activating platelet-derived lipid generated by COX-1 is presented that can activate or prime human neutrophils, suggesting a role in innate immunity and acute inflammation. ..
- Mizuyachi K, Son D, Rozman K, Terranova P. Alteration in ovarian gene expression in response to 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin: reduction of cyclooxygenase-2 in the blockage of ovulation. Reprod Toxicol. 2002;16:299-307 pubmed
- Doerder F. Abandoning sex: multiple origins of asexuality in the ciliate Tetrahymena. BMC Evol Biol. 2014;14:112 pubmed publisher..The inability of amicronucleates to mate may be the result of error(s) in mating type gene rearrangement. ..
- Tan X, Poulose E, Raveendran V, Zhu B, Stechschulte D, Dileepan K. Regulation of the expression of cyclooxygenases and production of prostaglandin I? and E? in human coronary artery endothelial cells by curcumin. J Physiol Pharmacol. 2011;62:21-8 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that curcumin regulates prostanoid homeostasis in HCAEC by modulating multiple steps including the expression of COX-1, COX-2, PGI?S and mPGES-1. ..
- Wulff B, Yu L, Parent A, Wilgus T. Novel differences in the expression of inflammation-associated genes between mid- and late-gestational dermal fibroblasts. Wound Repair Regen. 2013;21:103-12 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, baseline differences in the expression of inflammatory genes by fibroblasts in E15 and E18 skin may contribute to inflammation and scar formation late in gestation. ..
- Carroll C, O Connor D, Steinmeyer R, Del Mundo J, McMullan D, Whitt J, et al. The influence of acute resistance exercise on cyclooxygenase-1 and -2 activity and protein levels in human skeletal muscle. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2013;305:R24-30 pubmed publisher..In contrast, both COX-2 activity and protein levels were elevated with exercise, and this elevation persisted to at least 24 h after RE. ..
- Xu M, Choudhary S, Voznesensky O, Gao Q, Adams D, Diaz Doran V, et al. Basal bone phenotype and increased anabolic responses to intermittent parathyroid hormone in healthy male COX-2 knockout mice. Bone. 2010;47:341-52 pubmed publisher..It is possible that manipulation of endogenous PGs could have important clinical implications for anabolic therapy with PTH. ..
- Lim H, Paria B, Das S, Dinchuk J, Langenbach R, Trzaskos J, et al. Multiple female reproductive failures in cyclooxygenase 2-deficient mice. Cell. 1997;91:197-208 pubmed
- Walters T, Raizman M, Ernest P, Gayton J, Lehmann R. In vivo pharmacokinetics and in vitro pharmacodynamics of nepafenac, amfenac, ketorolac, and bromfenac. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2007;33:1539-45 pubmed..Nepafenac showed significantly greater ocular bioavailability and amfenac demonstrated greater potency at COX-2 inhibition than ketorolac or bromfenac. ..
- Rodts Palenik S, Morrison J. Tocolysis: an update for the practitioner. Obstet Gynecol Surv. 2002;57:S9-34 pubmed
- Pichiule P, Chavez J, Lamanna J. Hypoxic regulation of angiopoietin-2 expression in endothelial cells. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:12171-80 pubmed..Finally, exogenous PGE(2) and PGI(2) were able to stimulate Ang2 under normoxic conditions. These findings suggest that COX-2-dependent prostanoids may play an important role in the regulation of hypoxia-induced Ang2 expression. ..
- Schaub C, Keller Wood M, Wood C. Blockade of estrogen receptors decreases CNS and pituitary prostaglandin synthase expression in fetal sheep. Neuroendocrinology. 2008;87:121-8 pubmed..Blockade of CNS estrogen receptors reduces preparturient plasma concentrations of POMC, but does not reduce fetal HPA axis activity in 130-134 day fetal sheep. ..
- Koumas L, Phipps R. Differential COX localization and PG release in Thy-1(+) and Thy-1(-) human female reproductive tract fibroblasts. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2002;283:C599-608 pubmed
- Halushka M, Walker L, Halushka P. Genetic variation in cyclooxygenase 1: effects on response to aspirin. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2003;73:122-30 pubmed..The discovery of a functional single-nucleotide polymorphism in the cyclooxygenase 1 locus may ultimately improve the safe and effective use of acetylsalicylic acid by better tailoring of dosage with an individual's genetic variation. ..
- Stribinskis V, Gao G, Ellis S, Martin N. Rpm2, the protein subunit of mitochondrial RNase P in Saccharomyces cerevisiae, also has a role in the translation of mitochondrially encoded subunits of cytochrome c oxidase. Genetics. 2001;158:573-85 pubmed..Moreover, there is a synthetic lethal interaction between the disruption of this novel respiratory function and the loss of wild-type mtDNA. This synthetic interaction explains why a complete deletion of RPM2 is lethal. ..
- Chakraborty I, Das S, Wang J, Dey S. Developmental expression of the cyclo-oxygenase-1 and cyclo-oxygenase-2 genes in the peri-implantation mouse uterus and their differential regulation by the blastocyst and ovarian steroids. J Mol Endocrinol. 1996;16:107-22 pubmed..Overall, the results suggest that the uterine COX-1 gene is influenced by ovarian steroids, while the COX-2 gene is regulated by the implanting blastocyst during early pregnancy. ..
- Shay A, Diwakar B, Guan B, Narayan V, Urban J, Prabhu K. IL-4 up-regulates cyclooxygenase-1 expression in macrophages. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:14544-14555 pubmed publisher..In summary, these findings suggest a new paradigm where IL-4-dependent up-regulation of Cox-1 expression may play a key role in tissue homeostasis and wound healing during Th2-mediated immune responses, such as parasitic infections. ..
- Pante E, France S, Couloux A, Cruaud C, McFadden C, Samadi S, et al. Deep-sea origin and in-situ diversification of chrysogorgiid octocorals. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e38357 pubmed publisher..Nine species of Chrysogorgia that were described from depths shallower than 200 m, and mtMutS haplotypes sequenced from specimens sampled as shallow as 101 m, suggest a shallow-water emergence of some Chrysogorgia species. ..
- Zinkievich J, George S, Jha S, Nandi J, Levine R. Gastric acid is the key modulator in the pathogenesis of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug-induced ulceration in rats. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2010;37:654-61 pubmed publisher..4. The data suggest that NSAID-induced ulcerogenesis is dependent on the amount of GA secretion derived from increased proton pump expression and requires inhibition of both COX-1 and COX-2...
- Okada Y, Lorenzo J, Freeman A, Tomita M, Morham S, Raisz L, et al. Prostaglandin G/H synthase-2 is required for maximal formation of osteoclast-like cells in culture. J Clin Invest. 2000;105:823-32 pubmed..Mice lacking PGHS-1 were similar to wild-type mice in all of these parameters. These data suggest that PGHS-2 is not necessary for wild-type bone development but plays a critical role in bone resorption stimulated by 1,25-D and PTH. ..
- Kelso M, Scheff S, Pauly J, Loftin C. Effects of genetic deficiency of cyclooxygenase-1 or cyclooxygenase-2 on functional and histological outcomes following traumatic brain injury in mice. BMC Neurosci. 2009;10:108 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that the deficiency of neither COX-1 nor COX-2 is sufficient to alter cognitive outcomes following TBI in mice. ..
- Zhang X, Morham S, Langenbach R, Young D. Malignant transformation and antineoplastic actions of nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) on cyclooxygenase-null embryo fibroblasts. J Exp Med. 1999;190:451-59 pubmed..They also show that transformation is independent of the status of cyclooxygenase expression, suggesting that the involvement of the cyclooxygenases in tumorigenesis may occur at later steps. ..
- Nguyen T, Chai J, Li A, Akahoshi T, Tanigawa T, Tarnawski A. Novel roles of local insulin-like growth factor-1 activation in gastric ulcer healing: promotes actin polymerization, cell proliferation, re-epithelialization, and induces cyclooxygenase-2 in a phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-dependent manner. Am J Pathol. 2007;170:1219-28 pubmed..The up-regulation of IGF-1 in gastric ulcer margin accelerates gastric ulcer healing by promoting cell re-epithelization, proliferation, and COX-2 expression via the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase pathway. ..
- Narasimha A, Watanabe J, Lin J, Hama S, Langenbach R, Navab M, et al. A novel anti-atherogenic role for COX-2--potential mechanism for the cardiovascular side effects of COX-2 inhibitors. Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat. 2007;84:24-33 pubmed..Our results suggest, for the first time, that COX-2 deficiency contributes to the pro-atherogenic properties of HDL in mice. ..
- Fink S, Yang D, Barnholtz Sloan J, Ryu Y, Mikkola D, Potter J, et al. Colonic 15-PGDH levels are stable across distance and time and are not perturbed by aspirin intervention. Dig Dis Sci. 2013;58:2615-22 pubmed publisher..15-PGDH levels vary across the population in a stable and reproducible manner, and are resistant to alteration by aspirin. 15-PGDH represents an independent target for modulation by candidate colon tumor chemopreventive agents. ..
- Abd Ellah H, Abdel Aziz M, Shoman M, Beshr E, Kaoud T, Ahmed A. New 1,3,4-oxadiazole/oxime hybrids: Design, synthesis, anti-inflammatory, COX inhibitory activities and ulcerogenic liability. Bioorg Chem. 2017;74:15-29 pubmed publisher..00) µM on both COX-1 and COX-2 respectively. Compound 7h was found to inhibit both COXs non-competitively with Ki values of 73µM and 89µM. Most of the tested compounds showed ulcer-free stomachs compared to indomethacin. ..
- Anekonda T, Wadsworth T, Sabin R, Frahler K, Harris C, Petriko B, et al. Phytic acid as a potential treatment for alzheimer's pathology: evidence from animal and in vitro models. J Alzheimers Dis. 2011;23:21-35 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that phytic acid may provide a viable treatment option for AD...
- Wang X, Su B, Lee H, Li X, Perry G, Smith M, et al. Impaired balance of mitochondrial fission and fusion in Alzheimer's disease. J Neurosci. 2009;29:9090-103 pubmed publisher..Based on these findings, we suggest that an altered balance in mitochondrial fission and fusion is likely an important mechanism leading to mitochondrial and neuronal dysfunction in AD brain. ..
- Pierucci Alves F, Duncan C, Schultz B. Testosterone upregulates anion secretion across porcine vas deferens epithelia in vitro. Biol Reprod. 2009;81:628-35 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that testosterone upregulates epithelial responsiveness to acute modulations of anion secretion (likely bicarbonate secretion), which ultimately modifies the environment to which sperm are exposed. ..
- Kojima F, Kapoor M, Yang L, Fleishaker E, Ward M, Monrad S, et al. Defective generation of a humoral immune response is associated with a reduced incidence and severity of collagen-induced arthritis in microsomal prostaglandin E synthase-1 null mice. J Immunol. 2008;180:8361-8 pubmed..Pharmacologic inhibition of mPGES-1 may therefore impact both the inflammation and the autoimmunity associated with human diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis. ..
- Kapoor M, Kojima F, Yang L, Crofford L. Sequential induction of pro- and anti-inflammatory prostaglandins and peroxisome proliferators-activated receptor-gamma during normal wound healing: a time course study. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2007;76:103-12 pubmed..In this study, we show that PPARgamma is upregulated during the resolution phase of wound repair concomitant with the shift to PGD2, and may be responsible for initiating endogenous mechanism resulting in healing/resolution. ..
- Landolfi J, Terio K. Transitional cell carcinoma in fishing cats (Prionailurus viverrinus): pathology and expression of cyclooxygenase-1, -2, and p53. Vet Pathol. 2006;43:674-81 pubmed
- Evans D, Rose R, Roeser J, Stidham J. NaCl transport across the opercular epithelium of Fundulus heteroclitus is inhibited by an endothelin to NO, superoxide, and prostanoid signaling axis. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2004;286:R560-8 pubmed
- Richards J, Petrel T, Brueggemeier R. Signaling pathways regulating aromatase and cyclooxygenases in normal and malignant breast cells. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2002;80:203-12 pubmed
- Reese J, Zhao X, Ma W, Brown N, Maziasz T, Dey S. Comparative analysis of pharmacologic and/or genetic disruption of cyclooxygenase-1 and cyclooxygenase-2 function in female reproduction in mice. Endocrinology. 2001;142:3198-206 pubmed..This investigation raises caution regarding the indiscriminate use of COX inhibitors and shows for the first time the distinct and overlapping pathways of the cyclooxygenase systems in female reproduction. ..
- Reese J, Paria B, Brown N, Zhao X, Morrow J, Dey S. Coordinated regulation of fetal and maternal prostaglandins directs successful birth and postnatal adaptation in the mouse. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:9759-64 pubmed..Collectively, these findings demonstrate the coordinated regulation of fetal and maternal PGs at the time of birth but raise concern regarding the use of selective COX inhibitors for the management of preterm labor. ..
- Song H, Lim H, Das S, Paria B, Dey S. Dysregulation of EGF family of growth factors and COX-2 in the uterus during the preattachment and attachment reactions of the blastocyst with the luminal epithelium correlates with implantation failure in LIF-deficient mice. Mol Endocrinol. 2000;14:1147-61 pubmed..However, we observed that LIF can only partially resume implantation in P4-primed, delayed implanting mice in the absence of estrogen, suggesting LIF induction is one of many functions that are executed by estrogen for implantation. ..
- Schwarze S, Weindruch R, Aiken J. Oxidative stress and aging reduce COX I RNA and cytochrome oxidase activity in Drosophila. Free Radic Biol Med. 1998;25:740-7 pubmed..These results show that oxidative stress is closely associated with reductions in mitochondrial transcript levels and support the hypothesis that oxidative stress may contribute to mitochondrial dysfunction and aging in D. melanogaster. ..
- Matousek S, Hein A, Shaftel S, Olschowka J, Kyrkanides S, O Banion M. Cyclooxygenase-1 mediates prostaglandin E(2) elevation and contextual memory impairment in a model of sustained hippocampal interleukin-1beta expression. J Neurochem. 2010;114:247-58 pubmed publisher..This data suggests a unique role for COX-1 in mediating chronic neuroinflammatory effects through PGE(2) production. ..