Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on cultured cells in Sweden
Topic: cultured cells
Publications161 found, 100 shown here
- Berg A, Olsson A, Korsgren O, Frisk G. Antiviral treatment of Coxsackie B virus infection in human pancreatic islets. Antiviral Res. 2007;74:65-71 pubmed..However, genetic differences between these strains influenced the effectiveness of pleconaril treatment. This stresses the importance of using multiple viral strains in antiviral tests. ..
- Olofsson E, Marklund S, Pedrosa Domellöf F, Behndig A. Interleukin-1alpha downregulates extracellular-superoxide dismutase in human corneal keratoconus stromal cells. Mol Vis. 2007;13:1285-90 pubmed..Since interleukin-1alpha is upregulated in corneal trauma and inflammation, keratoconus corneas may muster an insufficient oxidative defense under such conditions. ..
- Samuelsson M, Ramberg V, Iverfeldt K. Alzheimer amyloid-beta peptides block the activation of C/EBPbeta and C/EBPdelta in glial cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;370:619-22 pubmed publisher..The most prominent effects were observed on DNA binding activity and protein levels of C/EBPdelta. Our results demonstrate a dysregulation of C/EBP when glial cells are activated in the presence of Alzheimer Abeta peptides. ..
- Zhang F, Dey D, Bränström R, Forsberg L, Lu M, Zhang Q, et al. BLX-1002, a novel thiazolidinedione with no PPAR affinity, stimulates AMP-activated protein kinase activity, raises cytosolic Ca2+, and enhances glucose-stimulated insulin secretion in a PI3K-dependent manner. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2009;296:C346-54 pubmed publisher..The glucose-sensitive stimulatory impact of BLX-1002 on beta-cell function may translate into substantial clinical benefits of the drug in the management of type 2 diabetes, by avoidance of hypoglycemia. ..
- Xu X, De Pergola G, Bjorntorp P. Testosterone increases lipolysis and the number of beta-adrenoceptors in male rat adipocytes. Endocrinology. 1991;128:379-82 pubmed
- Perskvist N, Roberg K, Kulyté A, Stendahl O. Rab5a GTPase regulates fusion between pathogen-containing phagosomes and cytoplasmic organelles in human neutrophils. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:1321-30 pubmed..These results also identified Rab5a as a key regulator of phagolysosome maturation in human neutrophils. ..
- Tufvesson E, Malmstrom J, Marko Varga G, Westergren Thorsson G. Biglycan isoforms with differences in polysaccharide substitution and core protein in human lung fibroblasts. Eur J Biochem. 2002;269:3688-96 pubmed..We can anticipate that variation in structure of biglycan can cause changes in the connective tissue formation depending on its ability to bind matrix molecules, as well as cytokines. ..
- Johansson U, Olsson A, Gabrielsson S, Nilsson B, Korsgren O. Inflammatory mediators expressed in human islets of Langerhans: implications for islet transplantation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;308:474-9 pubmed..In conclusion, several inflammatory mediators were expressed in isolated islets, particularly at an early stage after isolation, indicating that a few days of culture could be beneficial for the outcome of islet transplantation. ..
- Mendez C, Leibiger I, Leibiger B, Høy M, Gromada J, Berggren P, et al. Rapid association of protein kinase C-epsilon with insulin granules is essential for insulin exocytosis. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:44753-7 pubmed..These results suggest that association of PKC-epsilon with insulin granule membranes represents an important component of the secretory network because it is essential for insulin exocytosis in response to glucose. ..
- Wu G, Olivecrona G, Olivecrona T. Extracellular degradation of lipoprotein lipase in rat adipose tissue. BMC Cell Biol. 2005;6:4 pubmed..The effect of inhibitors indicates, but does not prove, that the degradation is mediated by MMPs. It appears that this process is accelerated in the tissue fragments compared to intact tissue. ..
- Sergejeva S, Ivanov S, Lotvall J, Linden A. Interleukin-17 as a recruitment and survival factor for airway macrophages in allergic airway inflammation. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2005;33:248-53 pubmed..Furthermore, IL-17 is involved in controlling the proteolytic activity of macrophages and neutrophils in allergen-induced airway inflammation. ..
- Shinjyo N, Ståhlberg A, Dragunow M, Pekny M, Pekna M. Complement-derived anaphylatoxin C3a regulates in vitro differentiation and migration of neural progenitor cells. Stem Cells. 2009;27:2824-32 pubmed publisher..Our results provide the first evidence that C3a regulates neurogenesis by directly affecting the fate and properties of NPCs. ..
- Hagberg C, Falkevall A, Wang X, Larsson E, Huusko J, Nilsson I, et al. Vascular endothelial growth factor B controls endothelial fatty acid uptake. Nature. 2010;464:917-21 pubmed publisher..The involvement of VEGF-B in lipid uptake may open up the possibility for novel strategies to modulate pathological lipid accumulation in diabetes, obesity and cardiovascular diseases. ..
- Ishii Y, Matsumoto Y, Watanabe R, Elmi M, Fujimori T, Nissen J, et al. Characterization of neuroprogenitor cells expressing the PDGF beta-receptor within the subventricular zone of postnatal mice. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2008;37:507-18 pubmed publisher..These results suggest the presence of the signaling convergence between PDGF and FGF. PDGFRB is needed for survival, and the effects of bFGF in migration and neural differentiation of the cells may be potentiated by induction of PDGFRB. ..
- Gustafson A, Donovan M, Annerwall E, Dencker L, Eriksson U. Nuclear import of cellular retinoic acid-binding protein type I in mouse embryonic cells. Mech Dev. 1996;58:27-38 pubmed..The potential role of a CRABP I-controlled nuclear import of retinoic acid is discussed. ..
- Eriksson J, Lonnroth P, Smith U. Insulin can rapidly increase cell surface insulin binding capacity in rat adipocytes. A novel mechanism related to insulin sensitivity. Diabetes. 1992;41:707-14 pubmed..Furthermore, the effect of insulin could not be demonstrated in insulin-resistant cells, suggesting that this mechanism may be of importance for the regulation of insulin sensitivity. ..
- Rydberg E, Krettek A, Ullström C, Ekström K, Svensson P, Carlsson L, et al. Hypoxia increases LDL oxidation and expression of 15-lipoxygenase-2 in human macrophages. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2004;24:2040-5 pubmed
- Lundholm M, Motta V, Löfgren Burström A, Duarte N, Bergman M, Mayans S, et al. Defective induction of CTLA-4 in the NOD mouse is controlled by the NOD allele of Idd3/IL-2 and a novel locus (Ctex) telomeric on chromosome 1. Diabetes. 2006;55:538-44 pubmed..Instead, as previously shown, higher ICOS levels in NOD mice appear to be controlled by gene(s) in the Idd5.1 region, possibly a polymorphism in the Icos gene itself. ..
- Waltenberger J, Claesson Welsh L, Siegbahn A, Shibuya M, Heldin C. Different signal transduction properties of KDR and Flt1, two receptors for vascular endothelial growth factor. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:26988-95 pubmed..e. in the presence of Flt1. This difference could possibly be explained by the formation of heterodimeric complexes between KDR and Flt1, or other molecules, in HUVE cells. ..
- Beatus P, Lundkvist J, Oberg C, Pedersen K, Lendahl U. The origin of the ankyrin repeat region in Notch intracellular domains is critical for regulation of HES promoter activity. Mech Dev. 2001;104:3-20 pubmed..The interplay between the RE/AC region and the ankyrin repeat region provides a basis to understand the difference in HES activation between structurally similar Notch receptors. ..
- Grapengiesser E, Dansk H, Hellman B. Synchronization of pancreatic beta-cell rhythmicity after glucagon induction of Ca2+ transients. Cell Calcium. 2003;34:49-53 pubmed..The results support the proposal that the repolarizing effect of [Ca(2+)](i) transients provides a coupling force for co-ordinating the pulses of insulin release generated by pancreatic beta-cells. ..
- Tian F, Zhou X, Wikström J, Karlsson H, Sjöland H, Gan L, et al. Protein disulfide isomerase increases in myocardial endothelial cells in mice exposed to chronic hypoxia: a stimulatory role in angiogenesis. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2009;297:H1078-86 pubmed publisher..The increased PDI expression in endothelial cells may be a novel mechanism to protect the myocardium against myocardial ischemic diseases. ..
- Soderberg A, Sahaf B, Rosen A. Thioredoxin reductase, a redox-active selenoprotein, is secreted by normal and neoplastic cells: presence in human plasma. Cancer Res. 2000;60:2281-9 pubmed..Regeneration of oxidized Trx requires available TrxR outside the cell, the presence and induction of which is described in this paper for normal and transformed cells. ..
- Tindberg N, Bengtsson I, Hu Y. A novel lipopolysaccharide-modulated Jun binding repressor in intron 2 of CYP2E1. J Neurochem. 2004;89:1336-46 pubmed..Future in vivo experiments will, however, be required for a full appreciation of the role of this repressor in the complex regulation of CYP2E1 during inflammatory conditions. ..
- Larsson M, Hjälm G, Sakwe A, Engström Å, Höglund A, Larsson E, et al. Selective interaction of megalin with postsynaptic density-95 (PSD-95)-like membrane-associated guanylate kinase (MAGUK) proteins. Biochem J. 2003;373:381-91 pubmed..Surface plasmon resonance experiments revealed that mutation of SAP97 Thr(389) to alanine, as with the other PSD-95-like membrane-associated guanylate kinases, induced binding to megalin. ..
- Nayeri F, Xu J, Abdiu A, Nayeri T, Aili D, Liedberg B, et al. Autocrine production of biologically active hepatocyte growth factor (HGF) by injured human skin. J Dermatol Sci. 2006;43:49-56 pubmed..Upon injury, human skin keratinocytes might produce biologically active HGF in an autocrine fashion. This HGF might have different structural and/or biological properties from HGF produced by mesenchymal cells. ..
- Ostenson C, Sandberg Nordqvist A, Chen J, Hällbrink M, Rotin D, Langel U, et al. Overexpression of protein-tyrosine phosphatase PTP sigma is linked to impaired glucose-induced insulin secretion in hereditary diabetic Goto-Kakizaki rats. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;291:945-50 pubmed..In parallel, the amounts of the phosphatase decreased. In conclusion, increased expression of PTP sigma may be of pathogenetic significance for the defective insulin secretion in GK rat islets. ..
- Berghuis P, Rajnicek A, Morozov Y, Ross R, Mulder J, Urbán G, et al. Hardwiring the brain: endocannabinoids shape neuronal connectivity. Science. 2007;316:1212-6 pubmed
- Olofsson B, Korpelainen E, Pepper M, Mandriota S, Aase K, Kumar V, et al. Vascular endothelial growth factor B (VEGF-B) binds to VEGF receptor-1 and regulates plasminogen activator activity in endothelial cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:11709-14 pubmed
- Cross M, Hodgkin M, Roberts S, Landgren E, Wakelam M, Claesson Welsh L. Tyrosine 766 in the fibroblast growth factor receptor-1 is required for FGF-stimulation of phospholipase C, phospholipase D, phospholipase A(2), phosphoinositide 3-kinase and cytoskeletal reorganisation in porcine aortic endothelial cells. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 ( Pt 4):643-51 pubmed..Furthermore, whilst tyrosine 766 was not required for a proliferative response, it was required for fibroblast growth factor receptor-1 mediated cytoskeletal reorganisation. ..
- Wilhelmsson U, Li L, Pekna M, Berthold C, Blom S, Eliasson C, et al. Absence of glial fibrillary acidic protein and vimentin prevents hypertrophy of astrocytic processes and improves post-traumatic regeneration. J Neurosci. 2004;24:5016-21 pubmed..These findings show a novel role for intermediate filaments in astrocytes and implicate reactive astrocytes as potent inhibitors of neuroregeneration. ..
- Zubarev R, Nielsen M, Fung E, Savitski M, Kel Margoulis O, Wingender E, et al. Identification of dominant signaling pathways from proteomics expression data. J Proteomics. 2008;71:89-96 pubmed publisher..Pathway search engines can find application in a variety of proteomics-related fields, from fundamental molecular biology to search for novel types of disease biomarkers. ..
- Thompson L, Andersson E, Jensen J, Barraud P, Guillemot F, Parmar M, et al. Neurogenin2 identifies a transplantable dopamine neuron precursor in the developing ventral mesencephalon. Exp Neurol. 2006;198:183-98 pubmed..The Ngn2-GFP reporter construct used here thus provides a tool for the identification of mesDA neuron precursors in the VM and selective isolation of transplantable mesDA neuron precursors for transplantation. ..
- Jalink M, Ge Z, Liu C, Bjorkholm M, Gruber A, Xu D. Human normal T lymphocytes and lymphoid cell lines do express alternative splicing variants of human telomerase reverse transcriptase (hTERT) mRNA. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;353:999-1003 pubmed..Collectively, human normal and malignant lymphocytes, like other human cells, express splicing variants of hTERT mRNA and require transcriptional activation of the hTERT gene to acquire telomerase activity. ..
- Synnergren J, Akesson K, Dahlenborg K, Vidarsson H, Améen C, Steel D, et al. Molecular signature of cardiomyocyte clusters derived from human embryonic stem cells. Stem Cells. 2008;26:1831-40 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the results presented here provide a molecular signature of hESC-derived CM clusters and further our understanding of the biological processes that are active in these cells. ..
- Bäckdahl H, Helenius G, Bodin A, Nannmark U, Johansson B, Risberg B, et al. Mechanical properties of bacterial cellulose and interactions with smooth muscle cells. Biomaterials. 2006;27:2141-9 pubmed..SMC adhered to and proliferated on the BC pellicle; an ingrowth of up to 40 microm was seen after 2 weeks of culture. BC exhibit attractive properties for use in future TEBV. ..
- Duan R, Jin T, Yang X, Mix E, Adem A, Zhu J. Apolipoprotein E deficiency enhances the antigen-presenting capacity of Schwann cells. Glia. 2007;55:772-6 pubmed..In conclusion, apoE may protect mice from EAN and probably also from chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy by affecting the antigen-presenting function of SCs via influence of IL-6 production. ..
- Andersson T, Sodersten E, Duckworth J, Cascante A, Fritz N, Sacchetti P, et al. CXXC5 is a novel BMP4-regulated modulator of Wnt signaling in neural stem cells. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:3672-81 pubmed publisher..We propose that CXXC5 is acting as a BMP4-induced inhibitor of Wnt signaling in neural stem cells. ..
- Larsson H, Klint P, Landgren E, Claesson Welsh L. Fibroblast growth factor receptor-1-mediated endothelial cell proliferation is dependent on the Src homology (SH) 2/SH3 domain-containing adaptor protein Crk. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:25726-34 pubmed..Our data indicate that Crk participates in signaling complexes downstream of FGFR-1, which propagate mitogenic signals. ..
- Paruchuri S, Hallberg B, Juhas M, Larsson C, Sjölander A. Leukotriene D(4) activates MAPK through a Ras-independent but PKCepsilon-dependent pathway in intestinal epithelial cells. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:1883-93 pubmed..Consequently, LTD(4) regulates the proliferative response by a distinct Ras-independent, PKCepsilon-dependent activation of Erk-1/2 and a parallel Ras-dependent signaling pathway. ..
- Källrot M, Edlund U, Albertsson A. Surface functionalization of degradable polymers by covalent grafting. Biomaterials. 2006;27:1788-96 pubmed
- Andersson R, Enroth S, Rada Iglesias A, Wadelius C, Komorowski J. Nucleosomes are well positioned in exons and carry characteristic histone modifications. Genome Res. 2009;19:1732-41 pubmed publisher..Thus, exons are not only characterized by their coding capacity, but also by their nucleosome organization, which seems evolutionarily conserved since it is present in both primates and nematodes. ..
- Begum S, Joshi M, Ek M, Holgersson J, Kleman M, Sumitran Holgersson S. Characterization and engraftment of long-term serum-free human fetal liver cell cultures. Cytotherapy. 2010;12:201-11 pubmed publisher..Primary human FLC can be kept in culture consistently over a long time period and are potential candidates for cell therapy and in vitro diagnostics. ..
- Sandstrom K, Hakansson L, Lukinius A, Venge P. A method to study apoptosis in eosinophils by flow cytometry. J Immunol Methods. 2000;240:55-68 pubmed..The present study suggest that it is possible to discriminate between apoptotic and living eosinophils using the FS-SSC pattern and the PI-staining pattern obtained by flow cytometry. ..
- Hiller G, Sundler R. Regulation of phospholipase C-gamma 2 via phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase in macrophages. Cell Signal. 2002;14:169-73 pubmed..These data indicate that PtdIns 3-kinase is critical for the translocation but not for the tyrosine phosphorylation of PLC-gamma 2 in mouse macrophages and that the latter may be insufficient for enzyme activation. ..
- Pozas E, Ibanez C. GDNF and GFRalpha1 promote differentiation and tangential migration of cortical GABAergic neurons. Neuron. 2005;45:701-13 pubmed..The lack of involvement of RET or NCAM in these processes suggests the existence of additional transmembrane effectors for GDNF. ..
- Widestrand A, Faijerson J, Wilhelmsson U, Smith P, Li L, Sihlbom C, et al. Increased neurogenesis and astrogenesis from neural progenitor cells grafted in the hippocampus of GFAP-/- Vim-/- mice. Stem Cells. 2007;25:2619-27 pubmed..Thus, reactive gliosis may adversely affect the integration of transplanted neural progenitor cells in the brain. Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest is found at the end of this article. ..
- Kristiansson P, Holding C, Hughes S, Haynes D. Does human relaxin-2 affect peripheral blood mononuclear cells to increase inflammatory mediators in pathologic bone loss?. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2005;1041:317-9 pubmed..The findings indicate that PBMCs should be studied in relation to the effect of relaxin on inflammation and bone destruction caused by osteoclasts. ..
- Hutchinson D, Chernogubova E, Dallner O, Cannon B, Bengtsson T. Beta-adrenoceptors, but not alpha-adrenoceptors, stimulate AMP-activated protein kinase in brown adipocytes independently of uncoupling protein-1. Diabetologia. 2005;48:2386-95 pubmed
- Eloranta M, Franck Larsson K, Lövgren T, Kalamajski S, Rönnblom A, Rubin K, et al. Type I interferon system activation and association with disease manifestations in systemic sclerosis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2010;69:1396-402 pubmed publisher..029). An activated type I IFN system previously seen in several other systemic autoimmune diseases is also present in SSc and may contribute to the vascular pathology and affect the profibrotic process. ..
- Andrae J, Afink G, Zhang X, Wurst W, Nister M. Forced expression of platelet-derived growth factor B in the mouse cerebellar primordium changes cell migration during midline fusion and causes cerebellar ectopia. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2004;26:308-21 pubmed..Moreover, the transgene caused an enhancement of capillary vessels. The findings indicate that normal PDGF signaling is important for proper neural tube fusion. It also illustrates that meningeal structures can influence the process. ..
- Vanwildemeersch M, Olsson A, Gottfridsson E, Claesson Welsh L, Lindahl U, Spillmann D. The anti-angiogenic His/Pro-rich fragment of histidine-rich glycoprotein binds to endothelial cell heparan sulfate in a Zn2+-dependent manner. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:10298-304 pubmed
- Mansson A, Adner M, Höckerfelt U, Cardell L. A distinct Toll-like receptor repertoire in human tonsillar B cells, directly activated by PamCSK, R-837 and CpG-2006 stimulation. Immunology. 2006;118:539-48 pubmed..Furthermore, the distinct expression of TLRs allows B cells to respond directly to the cognate PAMPs. This further emphasizes the role of TLRs in directly activating adaptive immune cells. ..
- Segersten U, Björklund P, Hellman P, Akerstrom G, Westin G. Potentiating effects of nonactive/active vitamin D analogues and ketoconazole in parathyroid cells. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2007;66:399-404 pubmed..Further studies are warranted to elucidate whether precursor vitamin D analogues as well as inhibitors of 24-hydroxylase present therapeutic alternatives in patients suffering from HPT. ..
- Hellström N, Bjork Eriksson T, Blomgren K, Kuhn H. Differential recovery of neural stem cells in the subventricular zone and dentate gyrus after ionizing radiation. Stem Cells. 2009;27:634-41 pubmed publisher..However, the long-term effects on stem cells and neurogenesis in these two areas differ significantly: the dentate gyrus is severely affected long-term, whereas the SVZ appears to recover with time. ..
- Mahmoudi S, Henriksson S, Corcoran M, Méndez Vidal C, Wiman K, Farnebo M. Wrap53, a natural p53 antisense transcript required for p53 induction upon DNA damage. Mol Cell. 2009;33:462-71 pubmed publisher..This discovery not only reveals a regulatory pathway for controlling p53, but also proposes a general mechanism for antisense-mediated gene regulation in human cells. ..
- Di Gennaro A, Kenne E, Wan M, Soehnlein O, Lindbom L, Haeggstrom J. Leukotriene B4-induced changes in vascular permeability are mediated by neutrophil release of heparin-binding protein (HBP/CAP37/azurocidin). FASEB J. 2009;23:1750-7 pubmed publisher..This lipid-protein axis could offer novel opportunities for pharmacological intervention in key steps of the vascular response to inflammation. ..
- Buch C, Lindberg R, Figueroa R, Gudise S, Onischenko E, Hallberg E. An integral protein of the inner nuclear membrane localizes to the mitotic spindle in mammalian cells. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:2100-7 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, another integral inner nuclear membrane protein, emerin, was absent from the spindle-associated membranes. Thus, Samp1 defines a specific membrane domain associated with the mitotic spindle. ..
- Kollberg G, Tulinius M, Melberg A, Darin N, Andersen O, Holmgren D, et al. Clinical manifestation and a new ISCU mutation in iron-sulphur cluster deficiency myopathy. Brain. 2009;132:2170-9 pubmed publisher..There was only a slight reduction of mitochondrial IscU in the compound heterozygotes, despite their severe phenotype, indicating that the IscU expressed in these patients is non-functional...
- Genead R, Danielsson C, Wärdell E, Kjaeldgaard A, Westgren M, Sundström E, et al. Early first trimester human embryonic cardiac Islet-1 progenitor cells and cardiomyocytes: Immunohistochemical and electrophysiological characterization. Stem Cell Res. 2010;4:69-76 pubmed publisher..Spontaneously beating cardiospheres could be derived from the human embryonic heart and these cardiospheres showed functional frequency control. ..
- Jonsson C, Carlsten H. Inosine monophosphate dehydrogenase (IMPDH) inhibition in vitro suppresses lymphocyte proliferation and the production of immunoglobulins, autoantibodies and cytokines in splenocytes from MRLlpr/lpr mice. Clin Exp Immunol. 2001;124:486-91 pubmed..We conclude that MPA has potent immunomodulating effects on both B and T lymphocytes, modulating not only proliferation, but also the production of cytokines, immunoglobulins and autoantibodies. ..
- Juremalm M, Olsson N, Nilsson G. Selective CCL5/RANTES-induced mast cell migration through interactions with chemokine receptors CCR1 and CCR4. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;297:480-5 pubmed..These results demonstrate that both CCR1 and CCR4 are functional receptors on human mast cells with capacity to mediate migration towards CCL5. ..
- Simi A, Porsmyr Palmertz M, Hjertén A, Ingelman Sundberg M, Tindberg N. The neuroprotective agents chlomethiazole and SB203580 inhibit IL-1beta signalling but not its biosynthesis in rat cortical glial cells. J Neurochem. 2002;83:727-37 pubmed
- Lengqvist J, Mata de Urquiza A, Bergman A, Willson T, Sjövall J, Perlmann T, et al. Polyunsaturated fatty acids including docosahexaenoic and arachidonic acid bind to the retinoid X receptor alpha ligand-binding domain. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2004;3:692-703 pubmed..Taken together, these results show that RXR binds PUFAs in solution and that these compounds induce receptor activation, suggesting that RXR could function as a fatty acid receptor in vivo. ..
- Klar J, Asling B, Carlsson B, Ulvsbäck M, Dellsén A, Ström C, et al. RAR-related orphan receptor A isoform 1 (RORa1) is disrupted by a balanced translocation t(4;15)(q22.3;q21.3) associated with severe obesity. Eur J Hum Genet. 2005;13:928-34 pubmed..We hypothesise that the obesity in this family is caused by (i) haploinsufficiency for RORa1 or, (ii) a gain of function mechanism mediated by the RORa1-UNC5C fusion gene. ..
- Yasmin L, Jansson A, Panahandeh T, Palmer R, Francis M, Hallberg B. Delineation of exoenzyme S residues that mediate the interaction with 14-3-3 and its biological activity. FEBS J. 2006;273:638-46 pubmed..Leucine-428 is also required for the ability of ExoS to modify the eukaryotic endogenous target Ras. Finally, single amino acid substitutions of positions 426-428 reduce the interaction potential of 14-3-3 with ExoS in vitro. ..
- Lelliott C, Ljungberg A, Ahnmark A, William Olsson L, Ekroos K, Elmgren A, et al. Hepatic PGC-1beta overexpression induces combined hyperlipidemia and modulates the response to PPARalpha activation. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2007;27:2707-13 pubmed..Hepatic PGC-1beta overexpression reduced the potentially beneficial effects of PPARalpha activation on gene expression. Thus, inhibition of hepatic PGC-1beta may provide a therapy for treating combined hyperlipidemia. ..
- Ling C, Billig H. PRL receptor-mediated effects in female mouse adipocytes: PRL induces suppressors of cytokine signaling expression and suppresses insulin-induced leptin production in adipocytes in vitro. Endocrinology. 2001;142:4880-90 pubmed..In conclusion, our results demonstrate functional PRLRs in mouse adipocytes and suggest a role for CIS, SOCS-3, and SOCS-2 in regulating PRL signal transduction in adipose tissue. ..
- Bjorkhem I, Araya Z, Rudling M, Angelin B, Einarsson C, Wikvall K. Differences in the regulation of the classical and the alternative pathway for bile acid synthesis in human liver. No coordinate regulation of CYP7A1 and CYP27A1. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:26804-7 pubmed..The results underline that marked species differences may exist in mechanisms for control of synthesis of bile acids and cholesterol homeostasis. ..
- Karrar A, Broome U, Uzunel M, Qureshi A, Sumitran Holgersson S. Human liver sinusoidal endothelial cells induce apoptosis in activated T cells: a role in tolerance induction. Gut. 2007;56:243-52 pubmed..This study may provide insight for exploring the mechanisms of immune tolerance by liver allografts, immune escape by some liver pathogens including hepatitis C and pathogenesis of liver diseases. ..
- Kärner E, Bäckesjö C, Cedervall J, Sugars R, Ahrlund Richter L, Wendel M. Dynamics of gene expression during bone matrix formation in osteogenic cultures derived from human embryonic stem cells in vitro. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1790:110-8 pubmed publisher..BMP2 induced the expression of principle osteogenic factors, such as osterix, bone sialoprotein and osteocalcin, whereas VEGF had the converse effect on the gene expression pattern. ..
- De Marinis Y, Salehi A, Ward C, Zhang Q, Abdulkader F, Bengtsson M, et al. GLP-1 inhibits and adrenaline stimulates glucagon release by differential modulation of N- and L-type Ca2+ channel-dependent exocytosis. Cell Metab. 2010;11:543-553 pubmed publisher..Adrenaline stimulates L-type Ca(2+) channel-dependent exocytosis by activation of the low-affinity cAMP sensor Epac2 via a large increase in [cAMP](i). ..
- Mahlapuu M, Johansson C, Lindgren K, Hjälm G, Barnes B, Krook A, et al. Expression profiling of the gamma-subunit isoforms of AMP-activated protein kinase suggests a major role for gamma3 in white skeletal muscle. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2004;286:E194-200 pubmed..The observation that the AMPKgamma3 isoform is expressed primarily in white skeletal muscle, in which it is the predominant gamma-isoform, strongly suggests that gamma3 has a key role in this tissue. ..
- Schulte G, Bryja V, Rawal N, Castelo Branco G, Sousa K, Arenas E. Purified Wnt-5a increases differentiation of midbrain dopaminergic cells and dishevelled phosphorylation. J Neurochem. 2005;92:1550-3 pubmed..Furthermore, we identify dishevelled as a key player in transducing both Wnt canonical and non-canonical signals in dopaminergic cells. ..
- Dejmek J, Säfholm A, Kamp Nielsen C, Andersson T, Leandersson K. Wnt-5a/Ca2+-induced NFAT activity is counteracted by Wnt-5a/Yes-Cdc42-casein kinase 1alpha signaling in human mammary epithelial cells. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:6024-36 pubmed
- Gunnarsson P, Levander L, Påhlsson P, Grenegård M. The acute-phase protein alpha 1-acid glycoprotein (AGP) induces rises in cytosolic Ca2+ in neutrophil granulocytes via sialic acid binding immunoglobulin-like lectins (siglecs). FASEB J. 2007;21:4059-69 pubmed..Our report provides the first evidence for a signaling capacity by AGP through a defined receptor. Pre-engagement of L-selectin significantly enhanced this signaling capacity. ..
- Asadi A, Hedman E, Widén C, Zilliacus J, Gustafsson J, Wikstrom A. FMS-like tyrosine kinase 3 interacts with the glucocorticoid receptor complex and affects glucocorticoid dependent signaling. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;368:569-74 pubmed publisher..In summary, GR and Flt3 interact, affecting GR signaling. This novel cross-talk between GR and a hematopoietic growth factor might also imply glucocorticoid effects on Flt3-mediated signaling. ..
- Hessle V, Bjork P, Sokolowski M, González de Valdivia E, Silverstein R, Artemenko K, et al. The exosome associates cotranscriptionally with the nascent pre-mRNP through interactions with heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoproteins. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:3459-70 pubmed publisher..Our results lead to a revised mechanistic model for cotranscriptional quality control in which the exosome is constantly recruited to newly synthesized RNAs through direct interactions with specific hnRNP proteins. ..
- Sandhu K, Shi C, Sjölinder M, Zhao Z, Göndör A, Liu L, et al. Nonallelic transvection of multiple imprinted loci is organized by the H19 imprinting control region during germline development. Genes Dev. 2009;23:2598-603 pubmed publisher..We conclude that one locus can directly or indirectly pleiotropically influence epigenetic states of multiple regions on other chromosomes with which it interacts. ..
- Das D, Lanner F, Main H, Andersson E, Bergmann O, Sahlgren C, et al. Notch induces cyclin-D1-dependent proliferation during a specific temporal window of neural differentiation in ES cells. Dev Biol. 2010;348:153-66 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the data define a novel temporal context-dependent function of Notch and a critical role for cyclin D1 in the Notch-induced proliferation in ES cells. ..
- Carlsson L, Jonsson J, Edlund T, Marklund S. Mice lacking extracellular superoxide dismutase are more sensitive to hyperoxia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:6264-8 pubmed..These findings suggest that while under normal physiological conditions other antioxidant systems may substitute for the loss of EC-SOD; when the animal is stressed these systems are unable to provide adequate protection. ..
- Johansson Lindbom B, Svensson M, Wurbel M, Malissen B, Marquez G, Agace W. Selective generation of gut tropic T cells in gut-associated lymphoid tissue (GALT): requirement for GALT dendritic cells and adjuvant. J Exp Med. 2003;198:963-9 pubmed..Together, these results demonstrate that GALT DCs and T cell expression of CCR9 play critical and integrated roles during T cell homing to the gut. ..
- Vallon Christersson J, Staaf J, Kvist A, Medstrand P, Borg A, Rovira C. Non-coding antisense transcription detected by conventional and single-stranded cDNA microarray. BMC Genomics. 2007;8:295 pubmed
- Ulfhammer E, Carlström M, Bergh N, Larsson P, Karlsson L, Jern S. Suppression of endothelial t-PA expression by prolonged high laminar shear stress. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;379:532-6 pubmed publisher..We conclude that prolonged high laminar shear stress suppresses endothelial t-PA expression and may therefore contribute to the enhanced risk of arterial thrombosis in hypertensive disease. ..
- Tormin A, Brune J, Olsson E, Valcich J, Neuman U, Olofsson T, et al. Characterization of bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stromal cells (MSC) based on gene expression profiling of functionally defined MSC subsets. Cytotherapy. 2009;11:114-28 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, this study shows that cell sorting based on proliferation characteristics and gene expression profiling can be utilized to identify surface markers for the characterization of MSC subpopulations. ..
- Lindberg N, Kastemar M, Olofsson T, Smits A, Uhrbom L. Oligodendrocyte progenitor cells can act as cell of origin for experimental glioma. Oncogene. 2009;28:2266-75 pubmed publisher..Thus, with the Ctv-a mouse we have showed that the cell of origin for glioma may be a committed glial progenitor cell. ..
- Hu Y, Ek Rylander B, Karlström E, Wendel M, Andersson G. Osteoclast size heterogeneity in rat long bones is associated with differences in adhesive ligand specificity. Exp Cell Res. 2008;314:638-50 pubmed..The small osteoclast adhering to PT and TH may represent either an immature, less functional precursor to the large osteoclast or alternatively constitute a distinct osteoclast population with a specific role in bone. ..
- Svensson L, Henning P, Lagergard T. The cytolethal distending toxin of Haemophilus ducreyi inhibits endothelial cell proliferation. Infect Immun. 2002;70:2665-9 pubmed..The antiproliferative activities of HdCDT on endothelial cells might contribute to the characteristic slow healing and persistence of chancroid ulcers...
- Andersson A, Kokkola R, Wefer J, Erlandsson Harris H, Harris R. Differential macrophage expression of IL-12 and IL-23 upon innate immune activation defines rat autoimmune susceptibility. J Leukoc Biol. 2004;76:1118-24 pubmed..These MPhi phenotypes thus reflect disparate, genetic cellular programs that define autoimmune susceptibility. ..