Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on cultured cells in Germany
Topic: cultured cells
Publications546 found, 100 shown here
- Ehrhart Bornstein M, Arakelyan K, Krug A, Scherbaum W, Bornstein S. Fat cells may be the obesity-hypertension link: human adipogenic factors stimulate aldosterone secretion from adrenocortical cells. Endocr Res. 2004;30:865-70 pubmed..In conclusion, a possible direct link exists between fat tissue metabolism and adrenal mineralocorticoid secretion that may be responsible for obesity-related hypertension. ..
- Gebauer M, Saas J, Haag J, Dietz U, Takigawa M, Bartnik E, et al. Repression of anti-proliferative factor Tob1 in osteoarthritic cartilage. Arthritis Res Ther. 2005;7:R274-84 pubmed..Activation, the reinitiation of proliferative activity and the loss of a stable phenotype are three major changes in osteoarthritic chondrocytes that are highly significantly correlated with the repression of Tob1 expression. ..
- Pannicke T, Uckermann O, Iandiev I, Wiedemann P, Reichenbach A, Bringmann A. Ocular inflammation alters swelling and membrane characteristics of rat Müller glial cells. J Neuroimmunol. 2005;161:145-54 pubmed..1 protein in retinal slices. The data suggest that ocular inflammation induces alterations of both the swelling characteristics and the K(+) channel expression of Müller cells. ..
- Behr R, Heneweer C, Viebahn C, Denker H, Thie M. Epithelial-mesenchymal transition in colonies of rhesus monkey embryonic stem cells: a model for processes involved in gastrulation. Stem Cells. 2005;23:805-16 pubmed..Thus, these rhES cell colonies may be an interesting model for studies on some basic processes involved in early primate embryogenesis and may open new ways to study the regulation of EMT in vitro. ..
- Adams J, Kiss E, Arroyo A, Bonrouhi M, Sun Q, Li Z, et al. 13-cis retinoic acid inhibits development and progression of chronic allograft nephropathy. Am J Pathol. 2005;167:285-98 pubmed..In summary, 13cRA acted as a potent immunosuppressive and anti-fibrotic agent able to prevent and inhibit progression of chronic allograft nephropathy. ..
- Egea J, Nissen U, Dufour A, Sahin M, Greer P, Kullander K, et al. Regulation of EphA 4 kinase activity is required for a subset of axon guidance decisions suggesting a key role for receptor clustering in Eph function. Neuron. 2005;47:515-28 pubmed..These results suggest that signaling of Eph RTKs follows a multistep process of induced kinase activity and higher-order clustering different from RTKs responding to soluble ligands. ..
- Habedanck R, Stierhof Y, Wilkinson C, Nigg E. The Polo kinase Plk4 functions in centriole duplication. Nat Cell Biol. 2005;7:1140-6 pubmed..These findings provide an attractive explanation for the crucial function of Plk4 in cell proliferation and have implications for the role of Polo kinases in tumorigenesis. ..
- Andre S, Pei Z, Siebert H, Ramström O, Gabius H. Glycosyldisulfides from dynamic combinatorial libraries as O-glycoside mimetics for plant and endogenous lectins: their reactivities in solid-phase and cell assays and conformational analysis by molecular dynamics simulations. Bioorg Med Chem. 2006;14:6314-26 pubmed..The presented evidence defines glycosyldisulfides as biologically active ligands for lectins. ..
- Priller C, Dewachter I, Vassallo N, Paluch S, Pace C, Kretzschmar H, et al. Mutant presenilin 1 alters synaptic transmission in cultured hippocampal neurons. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:1119-27 pubmed..This hypothesis is consistent with morphometic and semiquantitative immunohistochemical analysis, revealing a decrease in synaptophysin-positive puncta in PS1 mutant hippocampal neurons. ..
- Hartwig B, Borm B, Schneider H, Arin M, Kirfel G, Herzog V. Laminin-5-deficient human keratinocytes: defective adhesion results in a saltatory and inefficient mode of migration. Exp Cell Res. 2007;313:1575-87 pubmed
- Woller G, Brandt E, Mittelstädt J, Rybakowski C, Petersen F. Platelet factor 4/CXCL4-stimulated human monocytes induce apoptosis in endothelial cells by the release of oxygen radicals. J Leukoc Biol. 2008;83:936-45 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data suggest a role for platelet-derived PF4 in oxidative stress-mediated vascular disorders, as observed during atherosclerosis or ischemia/reperfusion injury. ..
- Moritz S, Lehmann S, Faissner A, von Holst A. An induction gene trap screen in neural stem cells reveals an instructive function of the niche and identifies the splicing regulator sam68 as a tenascin-C-regulated target gene. Stem Cells. 2008;26:2321-31 pubmed publisher..This emphasizes the importance of Sam68 for NSC biology and implicates an instructive rather than a purely permissive role for Tnc in the neural stem cell niche. ..
- Gibbs B. Differential modulation of IgE-dependent activation of human basophils by ambroxol and related secretolytic analogues. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol. 2009;22:919-27 pubmed..The therapeutic potential of ambroxol as an anti-allergic agent is further underlined by these data...
- Sauer V, Siaj R, Todorov T, Zibert A, Schmidt H. Overexpressed ATP7B protects mesenchymal stem cells from toxic copper. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;395:307-11 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that ATP7B overexpression provides an important selection advantage to MSCs in high copper microenvironments, and may represent novel cell transplants for therapy of WD. ..
- Busam G, Junghanns K, Kneusel R, Kassemeyer H, Matern U. Characterization and expression of caffeoyl-coenzyme A 3-O-methyltransferase proposed for the induced resistance response of Vitis vinifera L. Plant Physiol. 1997;115:1039-48 pubmed
- Blaschke V, Reich K, Blaschke S, Zipprich S, Neumann C. Rapid quantitation of proinflammatory and chemoattractant cytokine expression in small tissue samples and monocyte-derived dendritic cells: validation of a new real-time RT-PCR technology. J Immunol Methods. 2000;246:79-90 pubmed..In summary, real-time RT-PCR is a sensitive and rapid tool for quantifying mRNA expression even with small quantities of tissue. The results obtained do not differ from those generated by quantitative competitive RT-PCR. ..
- Hinderlich S, Berger M, Keppler O, Pawlita M, Reutter W. Biosynthesis of N-acetylneuraminic acid in cells lacking UDP-N-acetylglucosamine 2-epimerase/N-acetylmannosamine kinase. Biol Chem. 2001;382:291-7 pubmed..We therefore propose the phosphorylation of N-acetylmannosamine as a hitherto unrecognized role of N-acetylglucosamine kinase in living cells. ..
- Krones A, Jungermann K, Kietzmann T. Cross-talk between the signals hypoxia and glucose at the glucose response element of the L-type pyruvate kinase gene. Endocrinology. 2001;142:2707-18 pubmed..Our findings implicate that the cross-talk between oxygen and glucose might have a fundamental role in the regulation of several physiological and pathophysiological processes. ..
- Heder A, Hirsch Ernst K, Bauer D, Kahl G, Desel H. Induction of cytochrome P450 2B1 by pyrethroids in primary rat hepatocyte cultures. Biochem Pharmacol. 2001;62:71-9 pubmed..Due to its superior potency in induction, permethrin appears as a useful substance for mechanistic studies to elucidate the mechanism of enzyme induction by phenobarbital. ..
- Solomon S, Masilamani M, Rajendran L, Bastmeyer M, Stuermer C, Illges H. The lipid raft microdomain-associated protein reggie-1/flotillin-2 is expressed in human B cells and localized at the plasma membrane and centrosome in PBMCs. Immunobiology. 2002;205:108-19 pubmed..Since reggie/flotillin proteins co-cluster with the T cell receptor and fyn kinases upon T cell stimulation, our findings of reggie-1/flotillin-2 in B cells suggest a similar role in B cell function. ..
- Renner U, Lohrer P, Schaaf L, Feirer M, Schmitt K, Onofri C, et al. Transforming growth factor-beta stimulates vascular endothelial growth factor production by folliculostellate pituitary cells. Endocrinology. 2002;143:3759-65 pubmed..TGF-beta stimulation of VEGF production by folliculostellate cells could modulate intrapituitary vascular permeability and integrity as well as angiogenesis in an auto-/paracrine manner. ..
- Schröder N, Morath S, Alexander C, Hamann L, Hartung T, Zahringer U, et al. Lipoteichoic acid (LTA) of Streptococcus pneumoniae and Staphylococcus aureus activates immune cells via Toll-like receptor (TLR)-2, lipopolysaccharide-binding protein (LBP), and CD14, whereas TLR-4 and MD-2 are not involved. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:15587-94 pubmed..However, the involvement of TLR-4 and MD-2 in this process was ruled out. ..
- Koczulla R, von Degenfeld G, Kupatt C, Krotz F, Zahler S, Gloe T, et al. An angiogenic role for the human peptide antibiotic LL-37/hCAP-18. J Clin Invest. 2003;111:1665-72 pubmed..Taken together, these findings demonstrate that LL-37/hCAP-18 is a multifunctional antimicrobial peptide with a central role in innate immunity by linking host defense and inflammation with angiogenesis and arteriogenesis. ..
- Herzer K, Falk C, Encke J, Eichhorst S, Ulsenheimer A, Seliger B, et al. Upregulation of major histocompatibility complex class I on liver cells by hepatitis C virus core protein via p53 and TAP1 impairs natural killer cell cytotoxicity. J Virol. 2003;77:8299-309 pubmed..These results demonstrate a way in which HCV avoids recognition by NK cells that may contribute to the establishment of a chronic infection...
- Harms C, Bösel J, Lautenschlager M, Harms U, Braun J, Hörtnagl H, et al. Neuronal gelsolin prevents apoptosis by enhancing actin depolymerization. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2004;25:69-82 pubmed..In conclusion, actin remodeling by endogenous gelsolin or analogues protects neurons from apoptosis mediated by mitochondria and caspase-3. ..
- Stehfest K, Boese M, Kerns G, Piry A, Wilhelm C. Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy as a new tool to determine rosmarinic acid in situ. J Plant Physiol. 2004;161:151-6 pubmed..The correlation between spectral analysis and HPLC measurements of cell extracts shows that the FT-IR procedure is suitable for qualitative and quantitative analyses of RA in cell suspension cultures...
- Siggelkow W, Gescher D, Siggelkow A, Klee D, Malik E, Rath W, et al. In vitro analysis of modified surfaces of silicone breast implants. Int J Artif Organs. 2004;27:1100-8 pubmed..In this study, cell behaviour on hydrophilized silicone breast implant foils was analysed qualitatively and quantitatively under in vitro conditions in order to provoke the desired responses in a defined environment...
- Schlesinger J, van Harmelen V, Alberti Huber C, Hauner H. Albumin inhibits adipogenesis and stimulates cytokine release from human adipocytes. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2006;291:C27-33 pubmed..The results of the present study indicate that the presence of BSA in the culture medium has considerable effects on adipocyte function in vitro. These effects should be carefully considered for in vitro studies of adipose tissue. ..
- Murin R, Verleysdonk S, Raeymaekers L, Kaplan P, Lehotsky J. Distribution of secretory pathway Ca2+ ATPase (SPCA1) in neuronal and glial cell cultures. Cell Mol Neurobiol. 2006;26:1355-65 pubmed..8. In addition, the evaluation of neuronal cultures for the presence of SPCA1 revealed an SPCA1-specific immunofluorescence signal in cells identified as neurons. ..
- Haslinger Löffler B, Wagner B, Bruck M, Strangfeld K, Grundmeier M, Fischer U, et al. Staphylococcus aureus induces caspase-independent cell death in human peritoneal mesothelial cells. Kidney Int. 2006;70:1089-98 pubmed..aureus-induced mesothelial cell death. In conclusion, our data indicate that mesothelial cell death might represent a major mechanism of S. aureus-induced damage of the peritoneum during bacterial peritonitis. ..
- Wischke C, Borchert H, Zimmermann J, Siebenbrodt I, Lorenzen D. Stable cationic microparticles for enhanced model antigen delivery to dendritic cells. J Control Release. 2006;114:359-68 pubmed..DEAE-dextran modified microparticles showed an enhanced model protein delivery into phagocytic cells. Overall, PLGA microparticles are suitable vehicles for protein delivery to DC, which might be used for DC-based cell therapies. ..
- Hallhuber M, Burkard N, Wu R, Buch M, Engelhardt S, Hein L, et al. Inhibition of nuclear import of calcineurin prevents myocardial hypertrophy. Circ Res. 2006;99:626-35 pubmed..We conclude that calcineurin is not only capable of dephosphorylating NF-AT, thus enabling its nuclear import, but the presence of calcineurin in the nucleus is also important for full NF-AT transcriptional activity. ..
- Schaffer M, Bongartz M, Hoffmann W, Viebahn R. Regulation of nitric oxide synthesis in wounds by IFN-gamma depends on TNF-alpha. J Invest Surg. 2006;19:371-9 pubmed..Thus we conclude that IFN-gamma-deficiency impairs wound healing and diminishes NO synthesis in wound-derived macrophages. The stimulatory effect of IFN-gamma on macrophage NO production depends on endogenous TNF-alpha synthesis. ..
- Heidbreder M, Qadri F, Jöhren O, Dendorfer A, Depping R, Fröhlich F, et al. Non-hypoxic induction of HIF-3alpha by 2-deoxy-D-glucose and insulin. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;352:437-43 pubmed..Transcriptional up-regulation of HIF-3alpha represents a typical response to in vivo hypoglycaemia and glucoprivation. These data suggest an involvement of the HIF system in metabolic derangements as for instance caused by diabetes. ..
- Nührenberg T, Langwieser N, Schwarz J, Hou Y, Frank P, Sorge F, et al. EMAP-II downregulation contributes to the beneficial effects of rapamycin after vascular injury. Cardiovasc Res. 2008;77:580-9 pubmed
- Arab A, Kuemmerer K, Wang J, Bode C, Hehrlein C. Oxygenated perfluorochemicals improve cell survival during reoxygenation by pacifying mitochondrial activity. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2008;325:417-24 pubmed publisher..These effects of oxPFCs are dose-dependent, and they lead to a stabilization of the mitochondrial membrane potential, decreased steady-state levels of superoxide, and pacification of mitochondrial activity. ..
- Weiss E, Lilienfeld B, Müller S, Müller E, Herbach N, Kessler B, et al. HLA-E/human beta2-microglobulin transgenic pigs: protection against xenogeneic human anti-pig natural killer cell cytotoxicity. Transplantation. 2009;87:35-43 pubmed publisher..This novel approach against cell-mediated xenogeneic responses has important implications for the generation of multitransgenic pigs as organ donors for clinical xenotransplantation. ..
- Urbich C, Rossig L, Kaluza D, Potente M, Boeckel J, Knau A, et al. HDAC5 is a repressor of angiogenesis and determines the angiogenic gene expression pattern of endothelial cells. Blood. 2009;113:5669-79 pubmed publisher..The derepression of angiogenic genes by HDAC5 inactivation may provide a useful therapeutic target for induction of angiogenesis. ..
- Loser K, Sturm A, Voskort M, Kupas V, Balkow S, Auriemma M, et al. Galectin-2 suppresses contact allergy by inducing apoptosis in activated CD8+ T cells. J Immunol. 2009;182:5419-29 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data indicate that galectin-2 may represent a novel therapeutic alternative for the treatment of CD8-mediated inflammatory disorders such as contact allergy. ..
- Mauch C, Zamek J, Abety A, Grimberg G, Fox J, Zigrino P. Accelerated wound repair in ADAM-9 knockout animals. J Invest Dermatol. 2010;130:2120-30 pubmed publisher..These results show the previously unreported role of ADAM-9 in wound repair by regulating keratinocyte migration through modulation of collagen XVII shedding...
- Urban S, Kruse C, Multhaup G. A soluble form of the avian hepatitis B virus receptor. Biochemical characterization and functional analysis of the receptor ligand complex. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:5707-15 pubmed..Together with previous results from cell biological studies these data provide new insights into the initial step of hepadnaviral infection. ..
- Schmitz G, Kaminski W, Porsch Ozcurumez M, Klucken J, Orso E, Bodzioch M, et al. ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) in macrophages: a dual function in inflammation and lipid metabolism?. Pathobiology. 1999;67:236-40 pubmed..Our results indicate a dual regulatory function for ABCA1 in macrophage lipid metabolism and inflammation...
- Laszlo V, Rothe G, Hegyesi H, Szeberényi J, Orso E, Schmitz G, et al. Increased histidine decarboxylase expression during in vitro monocyte maturation; a possible role of endogenously synthesised histamine in monocyte/macrophage differentiation. Inflamm Res. 2001;50:428-34 pubmed
- Lang D, Dohle F, Terstesse M, Bangen P, August C, Pauels H, et al. Down-regulation of monocyte apoptosis by phagocytosis of platelets: involvement of a caspase-9, caspase-3, and heat shock protein 70-dependent pathway. J Immunol. 2002;168:6152-8 pubmed..In conclusion, this study shows that platelets can suppress apoptosis of monocytes by a specific phagocytosis-dependent process with further consequences for atherosclerotic or inflammatory conditions. ..
- Weber F, Bridgen A, Fazakerley J, Streitenfeld H, Kessler N, Randall R, et al. Bunyamwera bunyavirus nonstructural protein NSs counteracts the induction of alpha/beta interferon. J Virol. 2002;76:7949-55 pubmed..These results suggest that BUN NSs is an IFN induction antagonist that blocks the transcriptional activation of IFN-alpha/beta in order to increase the virulence of Bunyamwera virus. ..
- Zacharias U, Leuschner R, Nörenberg U, Rathjen F. Tenascin-R induces actin-rich microprocesses and branches along neurite shafts. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2002;21:626-33 pubmed..These observations suggest that TN-R via its neuronal receptor contactin might induce a transition from long-distance growth of tectal interneurons to differentiation, including the formation of microprocesses. ..
- Urbich C, Stein M, Reisinger K, Kaufmann R, Dimmeler S, Gille J. Fluid shear stress-induced transcriptional activation of the vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-2 gene requires Sp1-dependent DNA binding. FEBS Lett. 2003;535:87-93 pubmed..Together, these results suggest that biomechanical stimulation may lead to endothelial cell survival by upregulating VEGF receptor-2 expression. ..
- Riebeling C, Müller C, Geilen C. Expression and regulation of phospholipase D isoenzymes in human melanoma cells and primary melanocytes. Melanoma Res. 2003;13:555-62 pubmed..We conclude that in human melanoma cells, the PLD activity that is stimulated by phorbol ester requires ADP-ribosylation factor, protein kinase C and Rho proteins for full activity, and most probably represents the isoenzyme PLD1. ..
- Grunwald I, Korte M, Adelmann G, Plueck A, Kullander K, Adams R, et al. Hippocampal plasticity requires postsynaptic ephrinBs. Nat Neurosci. 2004;7:33-40 pubmed..This work raises the intriguing possibility that depending on the type of synapse, Eph/ephrins can be involved in activity-dependent plasticity in converse ways, with ephrinBs on the pre- or the postsynaptic side. ..
- Arendt T, Gärtner U, Seeger G, Barmashenko G, Palm K, Mittmann T, et al. Neuronal activation of Ras regulates synaptic connectivity. Eur J Neurosci. 2004;19:2953-66 pubmed..We conclude that neuronal Ras is a common switch of plasticity in adult mammalian brain sculpturing neuronal architecture and synaptic connectivity in concert with tuning synaptic efficacy. ..
- Guarguaglini G, Duncan P, Stierhof Y, Holmström T, Duensing S, Nigg E. The forkhead-associated domain protein Cep170 interacts with Polo-like kinase 1 and serves as a marker for mature centrioles. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:1095-107 pubmed..We show that Cep170 labeling can be used to discriminate bona fide centriole overduplication from centriole amplification that results from aborted cell division. ..
- Reiser G, Schonfeld P, Kahlert S. Mechanism of toxicity of the branched-chain fatty acid phytanic acid, a marker of Refsum disease, in astrocytes involves mitochondrial impairment. Int J Dev Neurosci. 2006;24:113-22 pubmed..Phytanic acid caused cell death of astrocytes within a few hours of exposure. In conclusion, we suggest that phytanic acid initiates astrocyte cell death by activating the mitochondrial route of apoptosis. ..
- Kumar S, Kasseckert S, Kostin S, Abdallah Y, Schafer C, Kaminski A, et al. Ischemic acidosis causes apoptosis in coronary endothelial cells through activation of caspase-12. Cardiovasc Res. 2007;73:172-80 pubmed..The main pathway of the simulated ischemia-induced apoptosis consists of the Ca2+ leak from the ER followed by activation of caspase-12 and caspase-3. ..
- Roosterman D, Kreuzer O, Brune N, Cottrell G, Bunnett N, Meyerhof W, et al. Agonist-induced endocytosis of rat somatostatin receptor 1. Endocrinology. 2007;148:1050-8 pubmed..Our results show for the first time that sst1 mediates a dynamic process of endocytosis, recycling, and re-endocytosis of its cognate ligand. ..
- Gimsa U, Iglic A, Fiedler S, Zwanzig M, Kralj Iglic V, Jonas L, et al. Actin is not required for nanotubular protrusions of primary astrocytes grown on metal nano-lawn. Mol Membr Biol. 2007;24:243-55 pubmed
- Hellerbrand C, Amann T, Schlegel J, Wild P, Bataille F, Spruss T, et al. The novel gene MIA2 acts as a tumour suppressor in hepatocellular carcinoma. Gut. 2008;57:243-51 pubmed..Further, our findings indicate a novel mechanism, how loss of HNF-1 expression in HCC affects tumorigenicity via down-regulation of MIA2. ..
- Xia G, Schneider Stock R, Diestel A, Habold C, Krueger S, Roessner A, et al. Helicobacter pylori regulates p21(WAF1) by histone H4 acetylation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;369:526-31 pubmed publisher..The elucidation of the epigenetic regulation of p21(WAF1) by H. pylori may help to dissect the pathogenetic mechanisms underlying the development and progression of H. pylori associated diseases. ..
- Stamm I, Mohr M, Bridger P, Schröpfer E, König M, Stoffregen W, et al. Epithelial and mesenchymal cells in the bovine colonic mucosa differ in their responsiveness to Escherichia coli Shiga toxin 1. Infect Immun. 2008;76:5381-91 pubmed publisher..In contrast, some mucosal mesenchymal cells, preliminarily characterized as mucosal macrophages, are Stx1-responsive cells that may participate in the interaction of STEC with the bovine intestinal mucosa. ..
- Hoffmann M, Kim S, Sartor R, Haller D. Enterococcus faecalis strains differentially regulate Alix/AIP1 protein expression and ERK 1/2 activation in intestinal epithelial cells in the context of chronic experimental colitis. J Proteome Res. 2009;8:1183-92 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates E. faecalis strain-specific induction of colitis in IL-10-/- mice after 14 weeks of monoassociation. Our study suggests that Alix/AIP1 protein expression and ERK1/2 activation are decreased in severe colitis. ..
- Zimmermann M, Armeanu S, Smirnow I, Kupka S, Wagner S, Wehrmann M, et al. Human precision-cut liver tumor slices as a tumor patient-individual predictive test system for oncolytic measles vaccine viruses. Int J Oncol. 2009;34:1247-56 pubmed..In conclusion, the PCLS technology is suitable to perform a tumor-patient individualized preselection of oncolytic agents prior to clinical virotherapeutic applications. ..
- Bramey T, Freitag P, Fandrey J, Rauen U, Pamp K, Erhard J, et al. No evidence for protective erythropoietin alpha signalling in rat hepatocytes. BMC Gastroenterol. 2009;9:26 pubmed publisher..This implies that the protection provided by rHu-EPO in vivo against ischemia-reperfusion and other causes of liver injury is most likely indirect and does not result from a direct effect on hepatocytes. ..
- Buettner N, Vogt C, Mart nez Sobrido L, Weber F, Waibler Z, Kochs G. Thogoto virus ML protein is a potent inhibitor of the interferon regulatory factor-7 transcription factor. J Gen Virol. 2010;91:220-7 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, another IRF7 activation step, nuclear translocation, is not affected by ML. Our data elucidate ML protein as a virulence factor with an IRF-specific IFN-antagonistic spectrum...
- Schwerdtle T, Ebert F, Thuy C, Richter C, Mullenders L, Hartwig A. Genotoxicity of soluble and particulate cadmium compounds: impact on oxidative DNA damage and nucleotide excision repair. Chem Res Toxicol. 2010;23:432-42 pubmed publisher..These data reveal new insights into the mechanisms involved in cadmium carcinogenesis and provide further evidence that DNA repair inhibition may be one predominant mechanism in cadmium induced carcinogenicity...
- Runge D, Runge D, Foth H, Strom S, Michalopoulos G. STAT 1alpha/1beta, STAT 3 and STAT 5: expression and association with c-MET and EGF-receptor in long-term cultures of human hepatocytes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1999;265:376-81 pubmed..It is intriguing to speculate that STAT 5 may have a modulating role in the regulation of STAT 3 activity. ..
- Schöniger S, Wehming S, Gonzalez C, Schöbitz K, Rodriguez E, Oksche A, et al. The dispersed cell culture as model for functional studies of the subcommissural organ: preparation and characterization of the culture system. J Neurosci Methods. 2001;107:47-61 pubmed
- Schwab J, Illges H. Silencing of CD21 expression in synovial lymphocytes is independent of methylation of the CD21 promoter CpG island. Rheumatol Int. 2001;20:133-7 pubmed..While methylation is involved in silencing CD21 in early types of B lymphocytes, we found the CD21-CpG island to be demethylated in peripheral blood mononuclear cells and synovial fluid mononuclear cells of patient DNA. ..
- Schiller M, Raghunath M, Kubitscheck U, Scholzen T, Fisbeck T, Metze D, et al. Human dermal fibroblasts express prohormone convertases 1 and 2 and produce proopiomelanocortin-derived peptides. J Invest Dermatol. 2001;117:227-35 pubmed..Production of proopiomelanocortin peptides by human dermal fibroblasts may be relevant for fibroblast functions such as collagen degradation and/or regulation of dermal immune responses. ..
- Tischer B, Schumacher D, Messerle M, Wagner M, Osterrieder N. The products of the UL10 (gM) and the UL49.5 genes of Marek's disease virus serotype 1 are essential for virus growth in cultured cells. J Gen Virol. 2002;83:997-1003 pubmed..Thus, MDV-1 represents the first example of a member of the family Herpesviridae for which the highly conserved membrane proteins are indispensable for cell-to-cell spread...
- Tolstonog G, Sabasch M, Traub P. Cytoplasmic intermediate filaments are stably associated with nuclear matrices and potentially modulate their DNA-binding function. DNA Cell Biol. 2002;21:213-39 pubmed
- Reiss K, Mentlein R, Sievers J, Hartmann D. Stromal cell-derived factor 1 is secreted by meningeal cells and acts as chemotactic factor on neuronal stem cells of the cerebellar external granular layer. Neuroscience. 2002;115:295-305 pubmed
- Lubeseder Martellato C, Guenzi E, Jörg A, Töpolt K, Naschberger E, Kremmer E, et al. Guanylate-binding protein-1 expression is selectively induced by inflammatory cytokines and is an activation marker of endothelial cells during inflammatory diseases. Am J Pathol. 2002;161:1749-59 pubmed..These results indicate that GBP-1 is a novel cellular activation marker that characterizes the IC-activated phenotype of endothelial cells. ..
- Fehrenbach H, Zissel G, Goldmann T, Tschernig T, Vollmer E, Pabst R, et al. Alveolar macrophages are the main source for tumour necrosis factor-alpha in patients with sarcoidosis. Eur Respir J. 2003;21:421-8 pubmed..The authors suggest that in these patients, aggregates of alveolar macrophages may represent at least predecessors to granulomas if not granulomas in statu nascendi. ..
- Schonlau F, Schlesiger C, Ehrchen J, Grabbe S, Sorg C, Sunderkotter C, et al. Monocyte and macrophage functions in M-CSF-deficient op/op mice during experimental leishmaniasis. J Leukoc Biol. 2003;73:564-73 pubmed publisher..However, M-CSF or M-CSF-derived macrophages are not necessary for an effective immune response against L. major. ..
- Schwenk F, Zevnik B, Bruning J, Röhl M, Willuweit A, Rode A, et al. Hybrid embryonic stem cell-derived tetraploid mice show apparently normal morphological, physiological, and neurological characteristics. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:3982-9 pubmed..We further demonstrate that ES mouse mutants can be produced from mutant hybrid ES cells and analyzed within a period of only 4 months. Thus, ES mouse technology is a valid research tool for rapidly elucidating gene function in vivo. ..
- Tannert A, Wüstner D, Bechstein J, Muller P, Devaux P, Herrmann A. Aminophospholipids have no access to the luminal side of the biliary canaliculus: implications for thr specific lipid composition of the bile fluid. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:40631-9 pubmed..The correlation between low labeling of BC and an APLT-mediated transbilayer movement suggests the presence of an APLT activity in the canalicular membrane that prevents exposure of aminophospholipids to the bile. ..
- Viemann D, Goebeler M, Schmid S, Klimmek K, Sorg C, Ludwig S, et al. Transcriptional profiling of IKK2/NF-kappa B- and p38 MAP kinase-dependent gene expression in TNF-alpha-stimulated primary human endothelial cells. Blood. 2004;103:3365-73 pubmed..Thus, these results define a list of primary candidates for targeted modulation of endothelial functions during inflammation. ..
- Kahlert S, Schonfeld P, Reiser G. The Refsum disease marker phytanic acid, a branched chain fatty acid, affects Ca2+ homeostasis and mitochondria, and reduces cell viability in rat hippocampal astrocytes. Neurobiol Dis. 2005;18:110-8 pubmed..We suggest that the cytotoxic effect of phytanic acid seems to be due to a combined action on Ca2+ regulation, mitochondrial depolarization, and increased ROS generation in brain cells...
- Gündüz D, Kasseckert S, Härtel F, Aslam M, Abdallah Y, Schafer M, et al. Accumulation of extracellular ATP protects against acute reperfusion injury in rat heart endothelial cells. Cardiovasc Res. 2006;71:764-73 pubmed..ATP, either released from cells or exogenously applied, protects against reperfusion-induced failure of the coronary endothelial barrier. Inhibition of ATP degradation enhances the stabilizing effect of ATP on barrier function. ..
- Riepe F, Finkeldei J, de Sanctis L, Einaudi S, Testa A, Karges B, et al. Elucidating the underlying molecular pathogenesis of NR3C2 mutants causing autosomal dominant pseudohypoaldosteronism type 1. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2006;91:4552-61 pubmed..Pseudohypoaldosteronism type 1 (PHA1) is a rare salt-wasting syndrome. Mutations in the NR3C2 gene coding for the mineralocorticoid receptor (MR) cause autosomal dominant PHA1...
- Koch A, Raidl M, Lux M, Müller K, Buning H, Humme S, et al. IL-12-induced T-bet expression and IFNgamma release in lymphocytes from asthmatics--role of MAPkinases ERK-1/-2, p38(MAPK) and effect of dexamethasone. Respir Med. 2007;101:1321-30 pubmed..The therapeutic benefit of dexamethasone on T-bet and IFNgamma production seems to be critical. ..
- Jung S, Eichenmüller M, Donhauser N, Neipel F, Engel A, Hess G, et al. HIV entry inhibition by the envelope 2 glycoprotein of GB virus C. AIDS. 2007;21:645-7 pubmed..Preincubation with anti-E2 antibody specifically abrogates the inhibitory effect. Results were confirmed by the in-vitro expression of GBV-C E1/E2 encoding RNA...
- Gerstung M, Roth T, Dienes H, Licht C, Fries J. Endothelin-1 induces NF-kappaB via two independent pathways in human renal tubular epithelial cells. Am J Nephrol. 2007;27:294-300 pubmed..Thus prohibiting ET-1-mediated gene transcription necessitates blocking of NF-kappaB and diacylglycerol signal transduction in proximal tubule cells. ..
- Schuh W, Meister S, Herrmann K, Bradl H, Jack H. Transcriptome analysis in primary B lymphoid precursors following induction of the pre-B cell receptor. Mol Immunol. 2008;45:362-75 pubmed..Hence, pre-BCR signals establish the molecular network for BCR signaling even before the production of an IgLC and induce the expression of KLF2, a candidate for controlling clonal expansion and migration of functional pre-B cells. ..
- Rechner C, Kühlewein C, Muller A, Schild H, Rudel T. Host glycoprotein Gp96 and scavenger receptor SREC interact with PorB of disseminating Neisseria gonorrhoeae in an epithelial invasion pathway. Cell Host Microbe. 2007;2:393-403 pubmed..Thus, we establish Gp96 as an anti-invasion factor and SRECs as receptors mediating host cell entry of highly invasive disseminating gonococci. ..
- Hoffmann A, Hofmann F, Just I, Lehnardt S, Hanisch U, Bruck W, et al. Inhibition of Rho-dependent pathways by Clostridium botulinum C3 protein induces a proinflammatory profile in microglia. Glia. 2008;56:1162-75 pubmed publisher..Thus, C3bot induces a proinflammatory response in microglia resembling the classical proinflammatory phenotype elicited by bacterial LPS. The findings are relevant for the use of C3bot in regenerative approaches. ..
- Matsumoto Y, Adams V, Walther C, Kleinecke C, Brugger P, Linke A, et al. Reduced number and function of endothelial progenitor cells in patients with aortic valve stenosis: a novel concept for valvular endothelial cell repair. Eur Heart J. 2009;30:346-55 pubmed publisher..Reduced regenerative capacity of valvular ECs due to senescence and decreased levels of EPCs might be, at least in part, a pathological link for the destruction of valvular ECs, resulting in progression of degenerative AS. ..
- Ji S, Kronenberg G, Balkaya M, Färber K, Gertz K, Kettenmann H, et al. Acute neuroprotection by pioglitazone after mild brain ischemia without effect on long-term outcome. Exp Neurol. 2009;216:321-8 pubmed publisher..Our study thus underscores the importance of extending experimental stroke studies to an analysis of longer-term outcome. ..
- Deters A, Zippel J, Hellenbrand N, Pappai D, Possemeyer C, Hensel A. Aqueous extracts and polysaccharides from Marshmallow roots (Althea officinalis L.): cellular internalisation and stimulation of cell physiology of human epithelial cells in vitro. J Ethnopharmacol. 2010;127:62-9 pubmed publisher..No data are available if the extracts or the polysaccharides from these extract exert an active influence on mucosal or connective tissue cells, in order to initiated changes in cell physiology, useful for better tissue regeneration...
- Tedeschi A, Nguyen T, Steele S, Feil S, Naumann U, Feil R, et al. The tumor suppressor p53 transcriptionally regulates cGKI expression during neuronal maturation and is required for cGMP-dependent growth cone collapse. J Neurosci. 2009;29:15155-60 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this study identifies p53 as a transcription factor that regulates the expression of cGKI during neuronal maturation and cGMP-dependent inhibition of growth cone collapse. ..
- Wen T, Zhang Z, Yu Y, Qu H, Koch M, Aumailley M. Integrin alpha3 subunit regulates events linked to epithelial repair, including keratinocyte migration and protein expression. Wound Repair Regen. 2010;18:325-34 pubmed publisher..Thus, down-regulation of alpha3beta1 integrin recapitulates crucial events governing keratinocyte migration associated with wound healing and tissue repair. ..