Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on conserved sequence in Germany
Topic: conserved sequence
Publications233 found, 100 shown here
- Ndjonka D, Da dara A, Walter R, Lüersen K. Caenorhabditis elegans S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase is highly stimulated by putrescine but exhibits a low specificity for activator binding. Biol Chem. 2003;384:83-91 pubmed..Furthermore, site-directed mutagenesis revealed that at least Glu33, Ser83, Arg91 and Lys95 are involved in posttranslational processing of C. elegans AdoMetDC. ..
- Kaiser F, Tavassoli K, van den Bemd G, Chang G, Horsthemke B, Moroy T, et al. Nuclear interaction of the dynein light chain LC8a with the TRPS1 transcription factor suppresses the transcriptional repression activity of TRPS1. Hum Mol Genet. 2003;12:1349-58 pubmed..In addition, GATA-regulated reporter gene assay indicated that LC8a is able to suppress the transcriptional repression activity of TRPS1. ..
- Ounaroon A, Decker G, Schmidt J, Lottspeich F, Kutchan T. (R,S)-Reticuline 7-O-methyltransferase and (R,S)-norcoclaurine 6-O-methyltransferase of Papaver somniferum - cDNA cloning and characterization of methyl transfer enzymes of alkaloid biosynthesis in opium poppy. Plant J. 2003;36:808-19 pubmed
- Heide H, Kalisz H, Follmann H. The oxygen evolving enhancer protein 1 (OEE) of photosystem II in green algae exhibits thioredoxin activity. J Plant Physiol. 2004;161:139-49 pubmed..In contrast, OEE protein 1 from spinach is not able to modulate FbPase or NADP malate dehydrogenase from spinach chloroplasts. A dual function of the OEE protein in algal photosynthesis is envisaged. ..
- Will C, Schneider C, Hossbach M, Urlaub H, Rauhut R, Elbashir S, et al. The human 18S U11/U12 snRNP contains a set of novel proteins not found in the U2-dependent spliceosome. RNA. 2004;10:929-41 pubmed..The presence of unique U11/U12 snRNP proteins in the U12-type spliceosome provides insight into potential evolutionary relationships between the major and minor spliceosome. ..
- Jarling M, Cauvet T, Grundmeier M, Kuhnert K, Pape H. Isolation of mak1 from Actinoplanes missouriensis and evidence that Pep2 from Streptomyces coelicolor is a maltokinase. J Basic Microbiol. 2004;44:360-73 pubmed..The proteins Pep2 and Mak1 were over expressed with Streptomyces lividans 66 as a heterologous host and further characterized. The possible physiological function of maltokinases is discussed...
- Süsens U, Hermans Borgmeyer I, Urny J, Schaller H. Characterisation and differential expression of two very closely related G-protein-coupled receptors, GPR139 and GPR142, in mouse tissue and during mouse development. Neuropharmacology. 2006;50:512-20 pubmed..GPR139 signal transduction in Chinese hamster ovary cells requires coupling to an inhibitory G-protein and is mediated by phospholipase C. Dimer formation may be necessary for proper function. ..
- Traut W, Niimi T, Ikeo K, Sahara K. Phylogeny of the sex-determining gene Sex-lethal in insects. Genome. 2006;49:254-62 pubmed publisher..Our hypothesis maintains that one of the genes, Sxl, adopted the new function of sex determiner in Drosophila, whereas the other, CG3056, continued to serve some or all of the yet-unknown ancestral functions...
- Qin Y, Polacek N, Vesper O, Staub E, Einfeldt E, Wilson D, et al. The highly conserved LepA is a ribosomal elongation factor that back-translocates the ribosome. Cell. 2006;127:721-33 pubmed..We suggest renaming LepA as elongation factor 4 (EF4). ..
- Gande S, Mariappan M, Schmidt B, Pringle T, von Figura K, Dierks T. Paralog of the formylglycine-generating enzyme--retention in the endoplasmic reticulum by canonical and noncanonical signals. FEBS J. 2008;275:1118-30 pubmed publisher..Its consequences for KDEL receptor-mediated ER retrieval and benefit for pFGE functionality remain to be fully resolved. ..
- Weinl S, Held K, Schlücking K, Steinhorst L, Kuhlgert S, Hippler M, et al. A plastid protein crucial for Ca2+-regulated stomatal responses. New Phytol. 2008;179:675-86 pubmed publisher..CAS fulfils this role through modulation of the cytoplasmic Ca(2+) concentration. * This work reveals a novel role of the chloroplast in cellular Ca(2+) signal transduction. ..
- Schroeder C, Werner K, Otten H, Krätzig S, Schwalbe H, Essen L. Influence of a joining helix on the BLUF domain of the YcgF photoreceptor from Escherichia coli. Chembiochem. 2008;9:2463-73 pubmed publisher..Based on these results the function of the joining helix in YcgF during signal transfer and the role of the BLUF domain in regulating c-di-GMP levels is discussed. ..
- Oka Y, Saraiva L, Kwan Y, Korsching S. The fifth class of Galpha proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:1484-9 pubmed publisher..The discovery of this fifth class of Galpha proteins changes our understanding of G protein evolution. ..
- Suh A, BROSIUS J, Schmitz J, Kriegs J. The genome of a Mesozoic paleovirus reveals the evolution of hepatitis B viruses. Nat Commun. 2013;4:1791 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals previously undiscovered and multi-faceted insights into prehistoric hepatitis B virus evolution and provides valuable resources for future studies, such as in-vitro resurrection of Mesozoic hepadnaviruses. ..
- Lisowsky T, Weinstat Saslow D, Barton N, Reeders S, Schneider M. A new human gene located in the PKD1 region of chromosome 16 is a functional homologue to ERV1 of yeast. Genomics. 1995;29:690-7 pubmed..The chimeric human gene product was able to complement the yeast mutants and restored near normal viability. This identifies the human gene as a structural and functional homologue of the scERV1 gene. ..
- Wendler W, Kremmer E, Forster R, Winnacker E. Identification of pirin, a novel highly conserved nuclear protein. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:8482-9 pubmed
- Lesche R, Ruther U. Close linkage of p130 and Ft1 is conserved among mammals. Mamm Genome. 1998;9:253-5 pubmed
- Berger T, Brigl M, Herrmann J, Vielhauer V, Luckow B, Schlondorff D, et al. The apoptosis mediator mDAP-3 is a novel member of a conserved family of mitochondrial proteins. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 ( Pt 20):3603-12 pubmed..These data identify mDAP-3 as one of the first proapoptotic factors in the mitochondrial matrix and provide evidence for a critical, evolutionary conserved role of members of the DAP-3 protein family for mitochondrial biogenesis. ..
- Voigt K, Wöstemeyer J. Reliable amplification of actin genes facilitates deep-level phylogeny. Microbiol Res. 2000;155:179-95 pubmed..The corresponding gene fragments provide a strong basis to isolate nearly complete actin genes for further molecular characterization and for establishing phylogenies based on actin gene trees. ..
- Süsens U, Borgmeyer U. Genomic structure of the gene for mouse germ-cell nuclear factor (GCNF). II. Comparison with the genomic structure of the human GCNF gene. Genome Biol. 2001;2:RESEARCH0017 pubmed..Although the genomic sequence is highly conserved, the analysis suggests that alternative splicing generates a higher complexity of human GCNF isoforms compared with the situation in the mouse. ..
- Soppa J. Prokaryotic structural maintenance of chromosomes (SMC) proteins: distribution, phylogeny, and comparison with MukBs and additional prokaryotic and eukaryotic coiled-coil proteins. Gene. 2001;278:253-64 pubmed..coli. A phylogenetic analysis was performed including the prokaryotic coiled-coil proteins as well as SMCs and Rad18 proteins from selected eukaryotes. ..
- Conrad S, Kauffmann H, Ito K, Deeley R, Cole S, Schrenk D. Identification of human multidrug resistance protein 1 (MRP1) mutations and characterization of a G671V substitution. J Hum Genet. 2001;46:656-63 pubmed..Transport of the MRP1 substrates leukotriene C4, 17beta-estradiol 17beta-(D)-glucuronide, and estrone sulfate by membrane vesicles prepared from transiently transfected HEKSV293T cells was comparable to that of wild-type MRP1...
- Fribourg S, Gatfield D, Izaurralde E, Conti E. A novel mode of RBD-protein recognition in the Y14-Mago complex. Nat Struct Biol. 2003;10:433-9 pubmed..Heterodimerization creates a single structural platform that interacts with the NMD machinery via phylogenetically conserved residues. ..
- Klepek Y, Geiger D, Stadler R, Klebl F, Landouar Arsivaud L, Lemoine R, et al. Arabidopsis POLYOL TRANSPORTER5, a new member of the monosaccharide transporter-like superfamily, mediates H+-Symport of numerous substrates, including myo-inositol, glycerol, and ribose. Plant Cell. 2005;17:204-18 pubmed..The potential physiological role of AtPLT5 is discussed. ..
- Boeckler F, Lanig H, Gmeiner P. Modeling the similarity and divergence of dopamine D2-like receptors and identification of validated ligand-receptor complexes. J Med Chem. 2005;48:694-709 pubmed..77 for D4) could be observed. Further analysis revealed general ligand interactions with ASP3.32 and aromatic residues in TM6/7 and individual key interactions with TM1 and TM2 residues of the D3 and D4 receptor models, respectively. ..
- Hummel J, Keshvari N, Weckwerth W, Selbig J. Species-specific analysis of protein sequence motifs using mutual information. BMC Bioinformatics. 2005;6:164 pubmed..The web service PROMI should assist researchers to detect evolutionary correlations in protein profiles of defined biological sequences. It is available at http://promi.mpimp-golm.mpg.de where additional documentation can be found. ..
- Merkl R. AMIGOS: a method for the inspection of genomic organisation or structure and its application to characterise conserved gene arrangements. In Silico Biol. 2006;6:281-306 pubmed..In addition, cons(CL) values provide a sound basis for non-homologous gene annotation. Based on cons(CL) values, examples of conserved clusters containing annotated genes and single ones with unknown function are given. ..
- Falb M, Aivaliotis M, Garcia Rizo C, Bisle B, Tebbe A, Klein C, et al. Archaeal N-terminal protein maturation commonly involves N-terminal acetylation: a large-scale proteomics survey. J Mol Biol. 2006;362:915-24 pubmed..Only few exceptions from the general N-terminal acetylation pattern were observed, which probably represent protein-specific modifications as they were confirmed by ortholog comparison. ..
- Godoy J, Fernandes C, Döring B, Beuerlein K, Petzinger E, Geyer J. Molecular and phylogenetic characterization of a novel putative membrane transporter (SLC10A7), conserved in vertebrates and bacteria. Eur J Cell Biol. 2007;86:445-60 pubmed..Vertebrate and bacterial SLC10A7 proteins exhibit >20% sequence identity, which is higher than the sequence identity of SLC10A7 to any other member of the SLC10 carrier family. ..
- Stiens M, Becker A, Bekel T, Gödde V, Goesmann A, Niehaus K, et al. Comparative genomic hybridisation and ultrafast pyrosequencing revealed remarkable differences between the Sinorhizobium meliloti genomes of the model strain Rm1021 and the field isolate SM11. J Biotechnol. 2008;136:31-7 pubmed publisher..iii) S. meliloti SM11 megaplasmid pSymB lacks a complete cell surface carbohydrate synthesis gene cluster. (iv) Several genes that are absent in the SM11 genome could be assigned to insertion sequences and transposons...
- Budhiraja R, Hermkes R, Muller S, Schmidt J, Colby T, Panigrahi K, et al. Substrates related to chromatin and to RNA-dependent processes are modified by Arabidopsis SUMO isoforms that differ in a conserved residue with influence on desumoylation. Plant Physiol. 2009;149:1529-40 pubmed publisher..The majority of the identified bona fide substrates contain predicted sumoylation sites. A subset of the proteins was expressed in Escherichia coli and could be sumoylated in vitro. ..
- Huber D, Rajagopalan N, Preissler S, Rocco M, Merz F, Kramer G, et al. SecA interacts with ribosomes in order to facilitate posttranslational translocation in bacteria. Mol Cell. 2011;41:343-53 pubmed publisher..Based on these findings, we propose that SecA could interact with its nascent substrates during translation in order to efficiently channel them into the "posttranslational" translocation pathway. ..
- Eckert C, Hammesfahr B, Kollmar M. A holistic phylogeny of the coronin gene family reveals an ancient origin of the tandem-coronin, defines a new subfamily, and predicts protein function. BMC Evol Biol. 2011;11:268 pubmed publisher..The most ancient short coronin already contained the trimerization motif in the coiled-coil domain. ..
- Hertle A, Blunder T, Wunder T, Pesaresi P, Pribil M, Armbruster U, et al. PGRL1 is the elusive ferredoxin-plastoquinone reductase in photosynthetic cyclic electron flow. Mol Cell. 2013;49:511-23 pubmed publisher..PGRL1 activity itself requires several redox-active cysteine residues and a Fe-containing cofactor. We therefore propose that PGRL1 is the elusive ferredoxin-plastoquinone reductase (FQR). ..
- Catania F, McGrath C, Doak T, Lynch M. Spliced DNA sequences in the Paramecium germline: their properties and evolutionary potential. Genome Biol Evol. 2013;5:1200-11 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate interconversion between somatic--often coding--DNA sequences and noncoding IESs, and provide insights into the role of DNA splicing in creating potentially functional genetic innovation. ..
- Fütterer A, Kruppa G, Kramer B, Lemke H, Kronke M. Molecular cloning and characterization of human kinectin. Mol Biol Cell. 1995;6:161-70 pubmed..Together the data suggest that kinectin is an integral membrane protein anchored in the endoplasmic reticulum via a transmembrane domain. ..
- Peekhaus N, Kramer R. The gluEMP operon from Zymomonas mobilis encodes a high-affinity glutamate carrier with similarity to binding-protein-dependent transport systems. Arch Microbiol. 1996;165:325-32 pubmed..Our results suggest that the glutamate transport system encoded by the gluEMP operon is repressed in Z. mobilis by the regulatory protein Grp...
- Simos G, Sauer A, Fasiolo F, Hurt E. A conserved domain within Arc1p delivers tRNA to aminoacyl-tRNA synthetases. Mol Cell. 1998;1:235-42 pubmed..These findings suggest that Arc1p operates as a mobile, trans-acting tRNA-binding synthetase domain and provide new insight into the role of eukaryotic multimeric synthetase complexes. ..
- Schambony A, Gentzel M, Wolfes H, Raida M, Neumann U, T pfer Petersen E. Equine CRISP-3: primary structure and expression in the male genital tract. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1998;1387:206-16 pubmed
- Heidtmann H, Kontermann R. Cloning and recombinant expression of mouse coagulation factor X. Thromb Res. 1998;92:33-41 pubmed..Recombinant mouse factor X opens the possibility to analyze therapeutically useful variants in the mouse system. ..
- Tersteegen A, Hedderich R. Methanobacterium thermoautotrophicum encodes two multisubunit membrane-bound [NiFe] hydrogenases. Transcription of the operons and sequence analysis of the deduced proteins. Eur J Biochem. 1999;264:930-43 pubmed..A function of these putative membrane-bound [NiFe] hydrogenases as proton pumps involved in endergonic reactions, such as the synthesis of formylmethanofuran from CO2, H2 and methanofuran, is discussed...
- Quast K, Bathe B, Puhler A, Kalinowski J. The Corynebacterium glutamicum insertion sequence ISCg2 prefers conserved target sequences located adjacent to genes involved in aspartate and glutamate metabolism. Mol Gen Genet. 1999;262:568-78 pubmed..Investigation of the distribution of ISCg2 showed that the IS element is restricted to certain C. glutamicum strains. Analysis of various integration regions indicates active transposition of ISCg2 in C. glutamicum. ..
- Bauer F, Schweimer K, Klüver E, Conejo Garcia J, Forssmann W, Rosch P, et al. Structure determination of human and murine beta-defensins reveals structural conservation in the absence of significant sequence similarity. Protein Sci. 2001;10:2470-9 pubmed
- Gotz R, Maiss E. The complete sequence of the genome of Cocksfoot streak virus (CSV), a grass infecting Potyvirus. Arch Virol. 2002;147:1573-83 pubmed..Only two motifs in the HC-Pro--motif involved in long distance movement and motif for HC-Pro self-interaction--were different in comparison to most of the dicot potyviruses. ..
- Str nkelnberg M, de Couet H, Hertenstein A, Fischbach K. Interspecies comparison of a gene pair with partially redundant function: the rst and kirre genes in D. virilis and D. melanogaster. J Mol Evol. 2003;56:187-97 pubmed publisher..These findings are discussed in the light of general evolutionary mechanisms...
- Estévez R, Schroeder B, Accardi A, Jentsch T, Pusch M. Conservation of chloride channel structure revealed by an inhibitor binding site in ClC-1. Neuron. 2003;38:47-59 pubmed..Mutations in presumably Cl--coordinating residues yield additional insights into the structure and function of ClC-1. Our work shows that the structure of bacterial CLCs can be extrapolated with fidelity to mammalian Cl- channels. ..
- Tauch A, Bischoff N, Pühler A, Kalinowski J. Comparative genomics identified two conserved DNA modules in a corynebacterial plasmid family present in clinical isolates of the opportunistic human pathogen Corynebacterium jeikeium. Plasmid. 2004;52:102-18 pubmed..jeikeium strains, which revealed 16S-23S rDNA spacer length polymorphisms and specific antibiotic susceptibility profiles, implying a wide dissemination of the plasmid in clinical isolates of C. jeikeium...
- Bauer M, Lombardot T, Teeling H, Ward N, Amann R, Glöckner F. Archaea-like genes for C1-transfer enzymes in Planctomycetes: phylogenetic implications of their unexpected presence in this phylum. J Mol Evol. 2004;59:571-86 pubmed..During the course of evolution, genes were lost from some planctomycete genomes or replaced by orthologous genes from proteobacterial lineages. ..
- Shams Eldin H, Blaschke T, Anhlan D, Niehus S, Muller J, Azzouz N, et al. High-level expression of the Toxoplasma gondii STT3 gene is required for suppression of the yeast STT3 gene mutation. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 2005;143:6-11 pubmed
- Rock R, Schrauth S, Gessler M. Expression of mouse dchs1, fjx1, and fat-j suggests conservation of the planar cell polarity pathway identified in Drosophila. Dev Dyn. 2005;234:747-55 pubmed..These data are compatible with a conservation and sub-functionalization of the Drosophila Ds, Fj, and Fat signaling in higher vertebrates. ..
- Pisa K, Huber H, Thomm M, Muller V. A sodium ion-dependent A1AO ATP synthase from the hyperthermophilic archaeon Pyrococcus furiosus. FEBS J. 2007;274:3928-38 pubmed..Taken together, these data demonstrate the use of Na(+) as coupling ion for the A(1)A(O) ATP synthase of Pyrococcus furiosus, the first Na(+) A(1)A(O) ATP synthase described...
- Tritschler F, Eulalio A, Truffault V, Hartmann M, Helms S, Schmidt S, et al. A divergent Sm fold in EDC3 proteins mediates DCP1 binding and P-body targeting. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:8600-11 pubmed..The conservation of surface and of critical structural residues indicates that LSm domains in EDC3 proteins adopt a similar fold that has separable novel functions that are absent in canonical (L)Sm proteins...
- Fu X, Wang Y, Schetle N, Gao H, Pütz M, von Gersdorff G, et al. The subcellular localization of TRPP2 modulates its function. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2008;19:1342-51 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings support the hypothesis that TRPP2 assumes distinct subcellular localizations to exert tissue-specific functions. ..
- Scheerer P, Park J, Hildebrand P, Kim Y, Krauss N, Choe H, et al. Crystal structure of opsin in its G-protein-interacting conformation. Nature. 2008;455:497-502 pubmed publisher..On the basis of the Ops*-GalphaCT structure and known conformational changes in Galpha, we discuss signal transfer from the receptor to the G protein nucleotide-binding site...
- Meier M, Tokarz J, Haller F, Mindnich R, Adamski J. Human and zebrafish hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase like 1 (HSDL1) proteins are inactive enzymes but conserved among species. Chem Biol Interact. 2009;178:197-205 pubmed publisher..Identification of protein interaction partners by yeast two-hybrid system suggests that despite the potential lack of enzymatic activity HSDL1 might retain regulatory functions in the cell. ..
- ..In this issue of Molecular Cell, Schmidt et al. (2009) untangle the interplay between the COP9 signalosome (CSN), cullin-associated and neddylation-dissociated 1 (CAND1) protein, and cullin-RING ubiquitin ligases (CRLs). ..
- Kuhn J, Briegel A, Mörschel E, Kahnt J, Leser K, Wick S, et al. Bactofilins, a ubiquitous class of cytoskeletal proteins mediating polar localization of a cell wall synthase in Caulobacter crescentus. EMBO J. 2010;29:327-39 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that these structures have evolved as an alternative to intermediate filaments, serving as versatile molecular scaffolds in a variety of cellular pathways. ..
- Schulze A, Lemey P, Schubert J, McClure M, Rethwilm A, Bodem J. Complete nucleotide sequence and evolutionary analysis of a gorilla foamy virus. J Gen Virol. 2011;92:582-6 pubmed publisher..Using phylogenetic analysis of the Gag, Pol and Env amino acid sequences, we demonstrate that SFVgor consistently clusters in accordance with a scenario of virus-host co-divergence. ..
- Lange M, Orashakova S, Lange S, Melzer R, Theißen G, Smyth D, et al. The seirena B class floral homeotic mutant of California Poppy (Eschscholzia californica) reveals a function of the enigmatic PI motif in the formation of specific multimeric MADS domain protein complexes. Plant Cell. 2013;25:438-53 pubmed publisher..Several families lack this short conserved sequence, including the Brassicaceae, and we propose an evolutionary scenario to explain these functional differences...
- Biewer M, Lechner S, Hasselmann M. Similar but not the same: insights into the evolutionary history of paralogous sex-determining genes of the dwarf honey bee Apis florea. Heredity (Edinb). 2016;116:12-22 pubmed publisher..We propose that in the early history of the lineage-specific fem duplication giving rise to csd in Apis, A. florea csd stands as a remarkable example for the plasticity of initial sex-determining signals. ..
- Bork P, Koonin E. An expanding family of helicases within the 'DEAD/H' superfamily. Nucleic Acids Res. 1993;21:751-2 pubmed
- Hobert O, Sures I, Ciossek T, Fuchs M, Ullrich A. Isolation and developmental expression analysis of Enx-1, a novel mouse Polycomb group gene. Mech Dev. 1996;55:171-84 pubmed..In adult stages we also find Enx-1 expression to be restricted to specific tissues, including spleen, testis and placenta. ..
- Stassen M, Thole H, Schaaf C, Marquart A, Sinner K, Gehrig H. Chicken microtubule-associated protein 4 (MAP4): a novel member of the MAP4 family. Histochem Cell Biol. 1996;106:341-9 pubmed..The N-terminal 59 amino acids are a conserved and unique feature of the MAP4 sequence and might be an indication that MAP4 performs other functions besides the enhancement of MT assembly. ..
- Goldschmidt Reisin S, Kitakawa M, Herfurth E, Wittmann Liebold B, Grohmann L, Graack H. Mammalian mitochondrial ribosomal proteins. N-terminal amino acid sequencing, characterization, and identification of corresponding gene sequences. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:34828-36 pubmed..However, MRPs are much less conserved in respect to the amino acid sequence among species than cytoplasmic ribosomal proteins of eukaryotes and bacteria. ..
- Grabarse W, Mahlert F, Shima S, Thauer R, Ermler U. Comparison of three methyl-coenzyme M reductases from phylogenetically distant organisms: unusual amino acid modification, conservation and adaptation. J Mol Biol. 2000;303:329-44 pubmed publisher..This was reflected in a higher fraction of glutamate residues at the protein surface of the thermophilic enzymes adapted to high intracellular salt concentrations...
- Lode A, Kuschel M, Paret C, Rödel G. Mitochondrial copper metabolism in yeast: interaction between Sco1p and Cox2p. FEBS Lett. 2000;485:19-24 pubmed..These amino acids, which are conserved among the members of the Sco1p family, have been suggested to act in the reduction of the cysteines in the copper binding center of Cox2p and are discussed as ligands for copper. ..
- Barbulescu K, Geserick C, Schüttke I, Schleuning W, Haendler B. New androgen response elements in the murine pem promoter mediate selective transactivation. Mol Endocrinol. 2001;15:1803-16 pubmed..Thus, the existence of several classes of DNA response elements might be an essential feature of differential androgen regulation. ..
- Klein M, Papenbrock J. The multi-protein family of Arabidopsis sulphotransferases and their relatives in other plant species. J Exp Bot. 2004;55:1809-20 pubmed..By using the numerous informative databases and methods available for the model plant A. thaliana, the elucidation of the functional role of the SOT protein family will be accelerated. ..
- Vorobyov E, Horst J. Expression of two protein isoforms of PAX7 is controlled by competing cleavage-polyadenylation and splicing. Gene. 2004;342:107-12 pubmed..The existence of both protein isoforms in vivo was confirmed by Western blot analysis. These data imply that the alternative C-termini of PAX7 may convey different functions to the corresponding protein isoforms. ..
- Streit K, Jackson D, Degnan B, Lieb B. Developmental expression of two Haliotis asinina hemocyanin isoforms. Differentiation. 2005;73:341-9 pubmed..Following metamorphosis the isoforms show overlapping as well as isoform-specific expression profiles, suggesting some degree of isoform-specific function. ..
- Sauer T, Shelest E, Wingender E. Evaluating phylogenetic footprinting for human-rodent comparisons. Bioinformatics. 2006;22:430-7 pubmed..TFBSs for certain transcription factors do not require strict sequence conservation but instead may show a high pattern conservation, limiting somewhat the validity of purely sequence-based phylogenetic footprinting. ..
- Ma X, Panjikar S, Koepke J, Loris E, Stockigt J. The structure of Rauvolfia serpentina strictosidine synthase is a novel six-bladed beta-propeller fold in plant proteins. Plant Cell. 2006;18:907-20 pubmed..The data will aid in deciphering the details of the reaction mechanism of STR1 as well as other members of this enzyme family. ..
- Reimers K, Choi C, Mau Thek E, Vogt P. Sequence analysis shows that Lifeguard belongs to a new evolutionarily conserved cytoprotective family. Int J Mol Med. 2006;18:729-34 pubmed..Concordantly, it was shown that Bax co-immunoprecipitates with LFG. Our results indicate that LFG belongs to a new cytoprotective family with evolutionarily conserved functions in the prevention of programmed cell death. ..
- Tatsuta T, Augustin S, Nolden M, Friedrichs B, Langer T. m-AAA protease-driven membrane dislocation allows intramembrane cleavage by rhomboid in mitochondria. EMBO J. 2007;26:325-35 pubmed..These findings reveal for the first time a non-proteolytic function of the m-AAA protease during mitochondrial biogenesis and rationalise the requirement of a preceding step for intramembrane cleavage by rhomboid. ..
- Dharmalingam E, Haeckel A, Pinyol R, Schwintzer L, Koch D, Kessels M, et al. F-BAR proteins of the syndapin family shape the plasma membrane and are crucial for neuromorphogenesis. J Neurosci. 2009;29:13315-27 pubmed publisher..Our data thus reveal that syndapin I is crucial for neuromorphogenesis and that different N-WASP activators ensure fine control of N-WASP activity and have distinct functions during neuronal network formation. ..
- Zeth K. Structure and evolution of mitochondrial outer membrane proteins of beta-barrel topology. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2010;1797:1292-9 pubmed publisher..These models are analyzed with respect to properties such as conservation and charge distribution yielding features related to their individual functions. ..
- Chen W, Wei W, Lercher M. Minimal regulatory spaces in yeast genomes. BMC Genomics. 2011;12:320 pubmed publisher..New intergenic regions created by genome rearrangements tend to evolve towards the more narrow size distribution found among older regions. ..
- Corcoran C, Podkaminski D, Papenfort K, Urban J, Hinton J, Vogel J. Superfolder GFP reporters validate diverse new mRNA targets of the classic porin regulator, MicF RNA. Mol Microbiol. 2012;84:428-45 pubmed publisher..Altogether, this study assigns the classic MicF sRNA to the growing class of Hfq-associated regulators that use diverse mechanisms to impact multiple loci...
- Zerbes R, van der Klei I, Veenhuis M, Pfanner N, van der Laan M, Bohnert M. Mitofilin complexes: conserved organizers of mitochondrial membrane architecture. Biol Chem. 2012;393:1247-61 pubmed publisher..MINOS has been conserved in evolution from unicellular eukaryotes to humans, where alterations of MINOS subunits are associated with multiple pathological conditions. ..
- Lupberger J, Schaedler S, Peiran A, Hildt E. Identification and characterization of a novel bipartite nuclear localization signal in the hepatitis B virus polymerase. World J Gastroenterol. 2013;19:8000-10 pubmed publisher..To characterize the nuclear import of hepatitis B virus (HBV) polymerase (P) and its relevance for the viral life cycle...
- Lin P, Lu C, Shen B, Lee G, Bowman J, Arteaga Vazquez M, et al. Identification of miRNAs and Their Targets in the Liverwort Marchantia polymorpha by Integrating RNA-Seq and Degradome Analyses. Plant Cell Physiol. 2016;57:339-58 pubmed publisher..1 to autoregulate MpPPR_66 (LW9825) mRNA. This study provides a foundation for further investigations of the RNA-mediated silencing mechanism in M. polymorpha as well as of the evolution of this gene silencing pathway in embryophytes. ..
- Geissler S, Siegers K, Schiebel E. A novel protein complex promoting formation of functional alpha- and gamma-tubulin. EMBO J. 1998;17:952-66 pubmed..We suggest that the Gim proteins form a protein complex that promotes formation of functional alpha- and gamma-tubulin...
- Homann A, Biedendieck R, Götze S, Jahn D, Seibel J. Insights into polymer versus oligosaccharide synthesis: mutagenesis and mechanistic studies of a novel levansucrase from Bacillus megaterium. Biochem J. 2007;407:189-98 pubmed..Two crucial structural differences localized at amino acid residues Arg370 and Asn252 were of high relevance in polymer compared with oligosaccharide synthesis...
- Schirawski J, Mannhaupt G, Münch K, Brefort T, Schipper K, Doehlemann G, et al. Pathogenicity determinants in smut fungi revealed by genome comparison. Science. 2010;330:1546-8 pubmed publisher..maydis, we demonstrate a role in virulence for four previously unknown diversity regions. This highlights the power of comparative genomics of closely related species for identification of virulence determinants...
- Wollenberg M, Berndt C, Bill E, Schwenn J, Seidler A. A dimer of the FeS cluster biosynthesis protein IscA from cyanobacteria binds a [2Fe2S] cluster between two protomers and transfers it to [2Fe2S] and [4Fe4S] apo proteins. Eur J Biochem. 2003;270:1662-71 pubmed..This demonstrates that it is possible to build [4Fe4S] clusters from [2Fe2S] units. ..
- Kolzer M, Ferlinz K, Bartelsen O, Hoops S, Lang F, Sandhoff K. Functional characterization of the postulated intramolecular sphingolipid activator protein domain of human acid sphingomyelinase. Biol Chem. 2004;385:1193-5 pubmed
- Stocsits R, Hofacker I, Fried C, Stadler P. Multiple sequence alignments of partially coding nucleic acid sequences. BMC Bioinformatics. 2005;6:160 pubmed..These, in turn, increase the performance of analysis tools that depend strictly on good input alignments such as methods for detecting conserved RNA secondary structure elements. ..
- Gessler M, Klamt B, Tsaoussidou S, Ellis J, Luzio J. The gene encoding the GPI-anchored membrane protein p137GPI (M11S1) maps to human chromosome 11p13 and is highly conserved in the mouse. Genomics. 1996;32:169-70 pubmed
- Fabrizio P, Laggerbauer B, Lauber J, Lane W, Luhrmann R. An evolutionarily conserved U5 snRNP-specific protein is a GTP-binding factor closely related to the ribosomal translocase EF-2. EMBO J. 1997;16:4092-106 pubmed..This is to date the first evidence that a G domain-containing protein plays an essential role in the pre-mRNA splicing process. ..
- Schwamborn K, Albig W, Doenecke D. The histone H1(0) contains multiple sequence elements for nuclear targeting. Exp Cell Res. 1998;244:206-17 pubmed..The results show that H1(0) contains multiple transport-competent sequence elements that can function as NLS and that H1(0) meets the requirements for a transport into the nucleus by an importin-dependent pathway. ..