Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on conserved sequence in Australia
Topic: conserved sequence
- Loukas A, Brown A, Pritchard D. Na-ctl-2, a cDNA encoding a C-type lectin expressed exclusively in adult Necator americanus hookworms. DNA Seq. 2002;13:61-5 pubmed..The unusually skewed representation of this protein family within different nematode genera and its subsequent impact on the evolution of nematode parasitism is discussed. ..
- Robinson A, Huttley G, Booth H, Board P. Modelling and bioinformatics studies of the human Kappa-class glutathione transferase predict a novel third glutathione transferase family with similarity to prokaryotic 2-hydroxychromene-2-carboxylate isomerases. Biochem J. 2004;379:541-52 pubmed..The present study suggests that the Kappa class may have arisen in prokaryotes well before the divergence of the cytosolic GSTs. ..
- Sedger L, Osvath S, Xu X, Li G, Chan F, Barrett J, et al. Poxvirus tumor necrosis factor receptor (TNFR)-like T2 proteins contain a conserved preligand assembly domain that inhibits cellular TNFR1-induced cell death. J Virol. 2006;80:9300-9 pubmed..Moreover, that the vPLAD confers an important antiapoptotic function confirms this domain as a potential target in the development of the next generation of TNF-alpha/TNFR therapeutics. ..
- Thomas M, Mordvinov V, Sanderson C. The activity of the human interleukin-5 conserved lymphokine element 0 is regulated by octamer factors in human cells. Eur J Biochem. 1999;265:300-7 pubmed..We demonstrate, using site-directed mutagenesis and cotransfection experiments, that the CLE0 element is indispensable for IL-5 promoter activity and that Octamer factors contribute to the positive regulation of the hIL-5 gene. ..
- Gregory M, Cleland L, James M. Molecular basis for differential elongation of omega-3 docosapentaenoic acid by the rat Elovl5 and Elovl2. J Lipid Res. 2013;54:2851-7 pubmed publisher..Understanding the ability of elongases to synthesize 24:5n-3 may provide a basis for using sequence data to predict their ability to ultimately support DHA synthesis. ..
- Jenkins B, Powell B. Differential expression of genes encoding a cysteine-rich keratin family in the hair cuticle. J Invest Dermatol. 1994;103:310-7 pubmed
- Korsinczky M, Chen N, Kotecka B, Saul A, Rieckmann K, Cheng Q. Mutations in Plasmodium falciparum cytochrome b that are associated with atovaquone resistance are located at a putative drug-binding site. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2000;44:2100-8 pubmed..Mutations in these positions are consistent with a reduced binding affinity of atovaquone for malaria parasite CYT b. ..
- Ovchinnikov D, DeBats C, Sester D, Sweet M, Hume D. A conserved distal segment of the mouse CSF-1 receptor promoter is required for maximal expression of a reporter gene in macrophages and osteoclasts of transgenic mice. J Leukoc Biol. 2010;87:815-22 pubmed publisher..RT-PCR analyses of Csf1r mRNA revealed that mouse OCL use another promoter within this region, distinct from that used in placental trophoblasts, to generate an alternative 5'UTR. ..
- Maher Sturgess S, Forrester N, Wayper P, Gould E, Hall R, Barnard R, et al. Universal primers that amplify RNA from all three flavivirus subgroups. Virol J. 2008;5:16 pubmed publisher..Comprehensive testing has revealed the broad specificity of these primers. We briefly discuss the advantages and uses of these universal primers. ..
- For t S, Maleszka R. Function and evolution of a gene family encoding odorant binding-like proteins in a social insect, the honey bee (Apis mellifera). Genome Res. 2006;16:1404-13 pubmed publisher..These findings support the view that OBPs are not restricted to olfaction and are likely to be involved in broader physiological functions...
- Ripoll V, Meadows N, Raggatt L, Chang M, Pettit A, Cassady A, et al. Microphthalmia transcription factor regulates the expression of the novel osteoclast factor GPNMB. Gene. 2008;413:32-41 pubmed publisher..The inclusion of gpnmb in the MITF regulon suggests a role for GPNMB in mature osteoclast function. ..
- Javadiyan S, Craig J, Souzeau E, Sharma S, Lower K, Pater J, et al. Recurrent mutation in the crystallin alpha A gene associated with inherited paediatric cataract. BMC Res Notes. 2016;9:83 pubmed publisher..The p.R21Q mutation is the most likely cause of paediatric cataract in this family. The recurrence of this mutation in paediatric cataract families is likely due to a familial relationship. ..
- Curry B, Roman S, Wallace C, Scott R, Miriami E, Aitken R. Identification and characterization of a novel splice variant of mouse and rat cytochrome b5/cytochrome b5 reductase. Genomics. 2004;83:425-38 pubmed..We postulate that cb5/cb5rdelta12 may function in a dominant negative fashion, limiting the amount of damage caused by the production of reactive oxygen species by cb5/cb5r. ..
- Bennetts J, Fowles L, Berkman J, van Bueren K, Richman J, Simpson F, et al. Evolutionary conservation and murine embryonic expression of the gene encoding the SERTA domain-containing protein CDCA4 (HEPP). Gene. 2006;374:153-65 pubmed..Immunolocalisation of transiently and stably transfected epitope-tagged CDCA4 protein in mammalian cells suggests that it resides predominantly in the nucleus throughout all stages of the cell cycle. ..
- Compton A, Albrecht D, Seto J, Cooper S, Ilkovski B, Jones K, et al. Mutations in contactin-1, a neural adhesion and neuromuscular junction protein, cause a familial form of lethal congenital myopathy. Am J Hum Genet. 2008;83:714-24 pubmed publisher..This disorder is part of the continuum in the clinical spectrum of congenital myopathies and congenital myasthenic syndromes...
- Duncan L, Nair S, Deane E. The marsupial CD8 gene locus: molecular cloning and expression analysis of the alpha and beta sequences in the gray short-tailed opossum (Monodelphis domestica) and the tammar wallaby (Macropus eugenii). Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2009;129:14-27 pubmed publisher..This is the first report confirming the presence of CD8 in the tissues of a marsupial and will provide the tools to further analyse T cell subsets in this unique group of mammals...
- Utama B, Kennedy D, Ru K, Mattick J. Isolation and characterization of a new nucleolar protein, Nrap, that is conserved from yeast to humans. Genes Cells. 2002;7:115-32 pubmed..Nrap appears to be associated with ribosome biogenesis by interacting with pre-rRNA primary transcript. ..
- Chapman G, Rathjen P. Sequence and evolutionary conservation of the murine Gbx-2 homeobox gene. FEBS Lett. 1995;364:289-92 pubmed..The homeodomain differs at only three positions out of 60 and these can be used to subdivide the GBX class homeodomains into 2 sub-classes. ..
- Brinkworth R, Tort J, Brindley P, Dalton J. Phylogenetic relationships and theoretical model of human cathepsin W (lymphopain), a cysteine proteinase from cytotoxic T lymphocytes. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2000;32:373-84 pubmed..The signature residues of the cruzipain lineage are (cruzipain numbering) Asn 33, Trp 38, Ala 124, Leu 127, Leu 164, and Pro 174. ..
- Wood S, Pascoe W, Ru K, Yamada T, Hirchenhain J, Kemler R, et al. Cloning and expression analysis of a novel mouse gene with sequence similarity to the Drosophila fat facets gene. Mech Dev. 1997;63:29-38 pubmed..The strong sequence similarity to faf and the developmentally regulated expression pattern suggest that Fam and the ubiquitin pathway may play a role in determining cell fate in mammals, as has been established for Drosophila. ..
- Liang S, Jenkins N, Gilbert D, Copeland N, Phillips W. Structure and chromosome location of the mouse P2X(1) purinoceptor gene (P2rx1). Cytogenet Cell Genet. 2001;92:333-6 pubmed..A single transcription-starting site was identified by 5' RACE analysis, 233 bp upstream of the translation start site. The P2X(1) gene maps to the central region of mouse chromosome 11. ..
- Karotam J, Delves A, Oakeshott J. Conservation and change in structural and 5' flanking sequences of esterase 6 in sibling Drosophila species. Genetica. 1993;88:11-28 pubmed..Thus the data suggest a relatively low level of selective constraint on the amino acid sequence of EST6 but a relatively high level of constraint on sequences affecting aspects of its expression...
- Schenk G, Layfield R, Candy J, Duggleby R, Nixon P. Molecular evolutionary analysis of the thiamine-diphosphate-dependent enzyme, transketolase. J Mol Evol. 1997;44:552-72 pubmed..Transketolase appears to be an ancient enzyme that has evolved slowly and might serve as a model for a molecular clock, at least within the mammalian clade. ..
- Silins G, Grimmond S, Egerton M, Hayward N. Analysis of the promoter region of the human VEGF-related factor gene. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1997;230:413-8 pubmed..These data may indicate that expression of these two growth factors is regulated by different physiological stimuli. ..
- Schulz T, Hopwood B, Rathjen P, Wells J. An unusual arrangement of 13 zinc fingers in the vertebrate gene Z13. Biochem J. 1995;311 ( Pt 1):219-24 pubmed..The structural organization of mZ13 and its expression profile suggest that it may function as a housekeeping DNA-binding protein that regulates the expression of specific genes. ..
- Siddle H, Deakin J, Coggill P, Hart E, Cheng Y, Wong E, et al. MHC-linked and un-linked class I genes in the wallaby. BMC Genomics. 2009;10:310 pubmed publisher..The discovery of non-classical orthologs between distantly related marsupial species is unusual for the rapidly evolving class I genes and may indicate an important marsupial specific function. ..
- Revill P, Yuen L, Walsh R, Perrault M, Locarnini S, Kramvis A. Bioinformatic analysis of the hepadnavirus e-antigen and its precursor identifies remarkable sequence conservation in all orthohepadnaviruses. J Med Virol. 2010;82:104-15 pubmed publisher..Whilst much of this sequence conservation was within key immunomodulatory epitopes, highest conservation was observed at the unique HBeAg N-terminus, suggesting this sequence in particular may play an important role in HBeAg function...
- Paulsen I, Skurray R, Tam R, Saier M, Turner R, Weiner J, et al. The SMR family: a novel family of multidrug efflux proteins involved with the efflux of lipophilic drugs. Mol Microbiol. 1996;19:1167-75 pubmed..The roles of specific residues, a possible mechanistic model of drug efflux, and the primary physiological role(s) of the SMR proteins are discussed. ..
- Oliaro J, van Ham V, Sacirbegovic F, Pasam A, Bomzon Z, Pham K, et al. Asymmetric cell division of T cells upon antigen presentation uses multiple conserved mechanisms. J Immunol. 2010;185:367-75 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that T cells have selectively adapted a number of evolutionarily conserved mechanisms to generate diversity through asymmetric cell division. ..
- Graham M, Thaysen Andersen M, Bache N, Craft G, Larsen M, Packer N, et al. A novel post-translational modification in nerve terminals: O-linked N-acetylglucosamine phosphorylation. J Proteome Res. 2011;10:2725-33 pubmed publisher..This novel type of protein glycosyl phosphorylation adds a new signaling mechanism to the regulation of neurotransmission and more complexity to the study of O-GlcNAc modification. ..
- Ambrose R, MacKenzie J. A conserved peptide in West Nile virus NS4A protein contributes to proteolytic processing and is essential for replication. J Virol. 2011;85:11274-82 pubmed publisher..These observations imply that the combined effects of proline and negatively charged residues within the PEPE peptide are essential to promote the cleavage of 2K from NS4A, which is a prerequisite for efficient WNV replication. ..
- Senapin S, Clark Walker G, Chen X, Seraphin B, Daugeron M. RRP20, a component of the 90S preribosome, is required for pre-18S rRNA processing in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Nucleic Acids Res. 2003;31:2524-33 pubmed..As the protein encoded by YOR145c is found in pre-ribosomal particles and the mutant strain is defective in ribosomal RNA processing, we have renamed it as RRP20. ..
- Curry B, Su H, Law E, McLaughlin E, Nixon B, Aitken R. Identification of RARhoGAP, a novel putative RhoGAP gene expressed in male germ cells. Genomics. 2004;84:406-18 pubmed..We postulate that RARhoGAP may be involved in rearrangements of the cytoskeleton and cell signaling events that occur during spermatogenesis. ..
- Kavanagh S, Schulz T, Davey P, Claudianos C, Russell C, Rathjen P. A family of RS domain proteins with novel subcellular localization and trafficking. Nucleic Acids Res. 2005;33:1309-22 pubmed..Integration of Psc1 into cytospeckles was dependent on the RRM. Cytospeckles were dynamic within the cytoplasm and appeared to traffic into the nucleus. These observations suggest a novel role in RNA metabolism for ARRS proteins...
- Ingham A, Reverter A, Windon R, Hunt P, Menzies M. Gastrointestinal nematode challenge induces some conserved gene expression changes in the gut mucosa of genetically resistant sheep. Int J Parasitol. 2008;38:431-42 pubmed
- Collins B, Harrop S, Kornfeld G, Dawes I, Curmi P, Mabbutt B. Crystal structure of a heptameric Sm-like protein complex from archaea: implications for the structure and evolution of snRNPs. J Mol Biol. 2001;309:915-23 pubmed publisher..In archaea, the gene encoding Lsm alpha is located next to the L37e ribosomal protein gene in a putative operon, suggesting a role for the Lsm alpha complex in ribosome function or biogenesis...
- Stephenson T, McIntyre C, Collet C, Xue G. Genome-wide identification and expression analysis of the NF-Y family of transcription factors in Triticum aestivum. Plant Mol Biol. 2007;65:77-92 pubmed..Organ-specific expression and differential response to drought indicate a plant-specific biological role for various members of this transcription factor family. ..
- Vajjhala P, Nguyen C, Landsberg M, Kistler C, Gan A, King G, et al. The Vps4 C-terminal helix is a critical determinant for assembly and ATPase activity and has elements conserved in other members of the meiotic clade of AAA ATPases. FEBS J. 2008;275:1427-49 pubmed publisher..We propose that Vps4 SRH function requires an intact C-terminal helix. Co-evolution of a distinct Vps4 SRH and C-terminal helix in meiotic clade AAA ATPases supports this possibility. ..
- Phillips H, Favre I, Kirkpatrick M, Zuberi S, Goudie D, Heron S, et al. CHRNB2 is the second acetylcholine receptor subunit associated with autosomal dominant nocturnal frontal lobe epilepsy. Am J Hum Genet. 2001;68:225-31 pubmed..CHRNB2 is a new gene for idiopathic epilepsy, the second acetylcholine receptor subunit implicated in ADNFLE. ..
- Samuel G, Miller D, Saint R. Conservation of a DPP/BMP signaling pathway in the nonbilateral cnidarian Acropora millepora. Evol Dev. 2001;3:241-50 pubmed
- Harvey S, McKenzie K, Roche P, Britton W. Sequence and expression of the Mycobacterium leprae dnaJ gene. J Gen Microbiol. 1993;139:2003-8 pubmed..leprae and M. tuberculosis (89%) with significant divergence between the two occurring only at the C-terminal end. The expressed recombinant DnaJ protein had a molecular mass of 42 kDa. ..
- Howles P, Lawrence G, Finnegan J, McFadden H, Ayliffe M, Dodds P, et al. Autoactive alleles of the flax L6 rust resistance gene induce non-race-specific rust resistance associated with the hypersensitive response. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2005;18:570-82 pubmed
- Jung C, Makunin I, Mattick J. Identification of conserved Drosophila-specific euchromatin-restricted non-coding sequence motifs. Genomics. 2010;96:154-66 pubmed publisher..This work reports the existence of Drosophila genus-specific sequence motifs, and suggests that many more novel functional elements may be discovered in genomes using the general approach outlined herein...
- Wang C, Brodnicki T, Copeland N, Jenkins N, Harvey R. Conserved linkage of NK-2 homeobox gene pairs Nkx2-2/2-4 and Nkx2-1/2-9 in mammals. Mamm Genome. 2000;11:466-8 pubmed
- Houlden B, Greville W, Sherwin W. Evolution of MHC class I loci in marsupials: characterization of sequences from koala (Phascolarctos cinereus). Mol Biol Evol. 1996;13:1119-27 pubmed publisher..In addition, marsupial gene families cluster away from human gene families, supporting a different origin of MHC genes for marsupials and eutherians...
- Stephen S, Pheasant M, Makunin I, Mattick J. Large-scale appearance of ultraconserved elements in tetrapod genomes and slowdown of the molecular clock. Mol Biol Evol. 2008;25:402-8 pubmed..These elements are different from other conserved noncoding elements and appear to be important regulatory innovations that became fixed following the emergence of vertebrates from the sea to the land. ..
- Shi B, Symons R, Palukaitis P. The cucumovirus 2b gene drives selection of inter-viral recombinants affecting the crossover site, the acceptor RNA and the rate of selection. Nucleic Acids Res. 2008;36:1057-71 pubmed publisher..The recombination occurred in a non-random manner, involved no intermediates and probably was generated via a copy-choice mechanism during (+) strand RNA synthesis...
- Uhlin U, Cox G, Guss J. Crystal structure of the epsilon subunit of the proton-translocating ATP synthase from Escherichia coli. Structure. 1997;5:1219-30 pubmed..This suggests that a gross conformational change in the epsilon subunit, to transmit the effect of proton translocation to the catalytic domain, is unlikely, but cannot be ruled out. ..
- Haines B, Voyle R, Pelton T, Forrest R, Rathjen P. Complex conserved organization of the mammalian leukemia inhibitory factor gene: regulated expression of intracellular and extracellular cytokines. J Immunol. 1999;162:4637-46 pubmed..Regulated expression of biologically active intracellular and extracellular LIF cytokine could thus provide alternate mechanisms for the modulation of hematopoiesis and immune system function. ..
- Hardy C, Holland M. Characterisation of two highly conserved but non-allelic cellular disintegrins from rabbit testis. Gene. 1998;206:127-35 pubmed..The implications of the presence of these two highly conserved proteins in rabbit testis and on sperm are discussed. ..
- Gosling K, Makaroff L, Theodoratos A, Kim Y, Whittle B, Rui L, et al. A mutation in a chromosome condensin II subunit, kleisin beta, specifically disrupts T cell development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:12445-50 pubmed..These data define a unique lineage-specific requirement for kleisin beta in mammalian T cell differentiation. ..
- Young L, Cross M, Duckworth J, Flenady S, Belov K. Molecular identification of interleukin-2 in the lymphoid tissues of the common brushtail possum, Trichosurus vulpecula. Dev Comp Immunol. 2012;36:236-40 pubmed publisher..Despite this low sequence identity, possum IL-2 still possessed the characteristic hallmarks of mammalian IL-2, such as a predicted signal peptide and conserved family motifs...
- Hime G, Prior L, Saint R. The Drosophila melanogaster genome contains a member of the Rh/T2/S-glycoprotein family of ribonuclease-encoding genes. Gene. 1995;158:203-7 pubmed..The discovery of members of this family of genes in an insect genome indicates that these RNases are widely conserved and play important roles in the animal, as well as the plant and prokaryotic kingdoms. ..